PDA

View Full Version : Should The Lakers retire Shaq's number?

usdane
08-04-2010, 01:47 PM
In light of Shaq signing with the Celtics and committing the ultimate betrayal I move to not retire Shaq a Laker.

Def Rowe
08-04-2010, 01:52 PM
I can't make up my mind yet on this one.

8FOR!3
08-04-2010, 01:54 PM
I say no. What's the point to it with him? I see Steve fuckin Blake playing in LA with Robert Horry's number and wouldn't think seeing someone with #34 would be any worse.

JamStone
08-04-2010, 01:56 PM
Yes, they should, but whether they actually will is a different question.

koriwhat
08-04-2010, 01:57 PM
they should especially if they are going to retire kobe's which they will.

koriwhat
08-04-2010, 01:59 PM
In light of Shaq signing with the Celtics and committing the ultimate betrayal I move to not retire Shaq a Laker.

so as long as he didn't join the celts you're all for retiring his jersey? ridiculous logic. you do realize he's played for a few ball clubs since leaving la right? i know the dope is abundant and great out there in lala land but your logic is flawed and i don't think it has anything to do with the doja.

usdane
Yes, they should, but whether they actually will is a different question.

Ohh the 3 peat thing with Shaq beasting. Damn it. Now I am not so sure. But signing with the Celtics; Fuck him.

Venti Quattro
No they won't.

ezzizle
08-04-2010, 02:03 PM
Yes, they should.
and Shaq signing with the C's shouldn't change it, he's just looking for a job.

kamikazi_player
08-04-2010, 02:04 PM
Of course they will retire his number. He put them back on the map in the 2000's. If they don't, it will be ridiculous and makes me disrespect the franchise even more

kamikazi_player
08-04-2010, 02:05 PM
Yes, they should.
and Shaq signing with the C's shouldn't change it, he's just looking for a job.

this

usdane
08-04-2010, 02:06 PM
I say no. What's the point to it with him? I see Steve fuckin Blake playing in LA with Robert Horry's number and wouldn't think seeing someone with #34 would be any worse.

Only Hall of Fame players get numbers retired in LA and only Magic and Kobe gets a statue in front of Staples.

admiralsnackbar
08-04-2010, 02:09 PM
3 titles = Yes.

lefty
08-04-2010, 02:33 PM
Yes.........

usdane
08-04-2010, 02:35 PM
Kareem should have one. I don't know why Oscar has one.

I think you have to start and finish a Laker, win at least a fist full of rings to be eligible. Otherwise your right Cap should have one.

HarlemHeat37
08-04-2010, 02:37 PM
Being the best player on a team that won 3 straight NBA titles should be enough to make you a legend in that city and for that franchise, let alone getting your jersey retired..it should be a lock..

The Lakers-Celtics "rivalry" is incredibly overplayed and overrated..it hasn't been a real rivalry since the 80s..when they have played each other in the Finals 2 of the last 3 years, the series' were good, but there was very little hatred and confrontation involved..there's no actual hatred or rivalry..it should have no bearing on Shaq's number getting retired..

Killakobe81
08-04-2010, 02:38 PM
Of course he "deserves" it ...he helped lead 3 title teams and ended "the drought" .

But he is as loyal as Kim Kardashian ...

He should start mending fences though (front office/fan base). Could be uncomfortable at his retirement ceremony if he does not ...

Me and a buddy discussed this yesterday ...I am not even mad at choosing the celts ...ESPECIALLY if he comes out says hey I only have a few years left and I want to catch Kobe and pass duncan ...

That would be honest, i would respect that and as long as he doesnt disrespect the form blue and gold while wearing that "puke colored green" ...I'm cool.

Admit it ..yes a heat/Lakers would be epic ...

But what about game 7 NBA finals Shaq announces it's his last game and plays his as off to try and deny the lakers (and kobe) 3 peat?

How good would THAT series be?

picc84
08-04-2010, 02:40 PM
No, but then San Antonio Heat fans would think less of the franchise, and where would they be then? So yes.

usdane
08-04-2010, 02:43 PM
Being the best player on a team that won 3 straight NBA titles should be enough to make you a legend in that city and for that franchise, let alone getting your jersey retired..it should be a lock..

The Lakers-Celtics "rivalry" is incredibly overplayed and overrated..it hasn't been a real rivalry since the 80s..when they have played each other in the Finals 2 of the last 3 years, the series' were good, but there was very little hatred and confrontation involved..there's no actual hatred or rivalry..it should have no bearing on Shaq's number getting retired..

Celtics celebrating minutes before end of regulation with Gatorade showers and more in 2008 will never be forgotten by Lakers Players and Fans. Trust me the hate is real.

Of all the teams in the league Shaq picked the Celts. That's on him. He should know the repercussions.

koriwhat
08-04-2010, 02:49 PM
blue and gold

purple.

Ashy Larry
08-04-2010, 02:52 PM
yes, he'll get it retired and he should ......

on the floor, he's done a helluva lot more than Baylor, Chamberlain and Goodrich and their numbers are retired. Even though he left on bad terms, while he was a Laker, he definitely was a huge factor in putting up three flags on that Staples Center wall .....

koriwhat
08-04-2010, 02:59 PM
He lost that opportunity when he cursed the owner and demanded a trade.

yeah and like kobe didn't do the same but i am damn sure #8 or #24 gets hoisted.

picc84
08-04-2010, 03:10 PM
Both.

Natch.

08-04-2010, 03:21 PM
shaq rescued the lakers form obscurity and won an mvp and three championships as a laker. laker fans may be idiotic enough to turn their backs on shaq but the FO understands shaq's contributions. the only thing keeping his number from retiring is pettiness.

PGDynasty24
08-04-2010, 03:26 PM
Kobe never had beef with Buss,he called out Mitch for doing nothing and sitting on his ass and trading Caron Butler for Kwame Brown and finding out through ESPN. Shaq demanded that buss pay him Huge money even though Shaq was about to enter twilight of career. Shaq even went to so far as saying something like when he was with the heat "I like my new owner because he knows how old he is. Unlike Dr. Buss who goes out with women who are 20 years old. When you are 60 years old you should date women who are 60 years old". And now him becoming a Celtic. I still think he should get his number retired,but if he didn't I wouldn't be surprised

Ashy Larry
08-04-2010, 03:29 PM
i doubt both Bean's numbers will be retired. if they are, thats the dumbest shit ever .....

Ashy Larry
08-04-2010, 03:31 PM
shaq rescued the lakers form obscurity and won an mvp and three championships as a laker. laker fans may be idiotic enough to turn their backs on shaq but the FO understands shaq's contributions. the only thing keeping his number from retiring is pettiness.

so true ...... it's like this shit with Pete Rose; or people trying to keep LT out of the Hal of Fame ....... petty bullshit is tired and I doubt Doc Buss will let his ego keep him from doing what's right

TheMACHINE
08-04-2010, 03:40 PM
Fuck no.

TheMACHINE
08-04-2010, 03:41 PM
you burn bridges, you dont get rewarded regardless of what you did during your time at the job.

HarlemHeat37
08-04-2010, 03:45 PM
:lol Laker fans are so grateful..

Darrin
08-04-2010, 04:04 PM
http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/81344369.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA54808EFA3EF5546F99B 40B6F10B20BE19BE9418B82BE9214272

Los Angeles Lakers Franchise Rankings:
7th in field goals
9th in field goals attempted
2nd in field goal percentage
7th in free throws
6th in free throws attempted
3rd in offensive rebounds
4th in defensive rebounds
5th in total rebounds
2nd in blocks
7th in points
5th in minutes per game
2nd in points per game
5th in rebounds per game
2nd in blocks per game

Awards:
1999-00 Scoring Champion
1999-00 NBA MVP
7-time All-Star (1997-1998, 2000-2004)
2-time All-Star MVP (2000, 2004)
3-time NBA Champion (2000-2002)
3-time Finals MVP (2000-2002)
8-time All-NBA selection
6-time All-NBA 1st Team
Top-5 in MVP voting for 7 of 8 seasons

Statistics:
Regular Season: 514 games, 27.0 ppg (13,895), 11.8 rpg (6,090), 3.1 apg (1,593), and 2.49 bpg (1,278)
Playoffs: 122 games, 27.7 ppg (3,383), 13.4 rpg (1,630), 3.0 apg (360), 2.54 bpg (310).

There is no way that number 34 stays unretired. They would have to be off their rocker to keep him away because he made some bad comments on the way out the door AFTER BEING TRADED!

Darrin
08-04-2010, 04:06 PM
you burn bridges, you dont get rewarded regardless of what you did during your time at the job.

Kobe and he made up. He's cheered for the Lakers every step of the way (once he's out of the postseason) in the last three years. It was look unprofessional and petty to leave his number un-retired.

The Gemini Method
08-04-2010, 04:11 PM
The accolades are really hard to deny. In my opinion, I think the Lakers should retire his number for what he did before the end of the tumult of his trade. I mean, he will always be linked with Kobe and Kobe will forever be linked with him. But then again, I don't decide whose number hangs above the Staples Center' hardwood court. I, though, loathe to see him in Celtic green.

milkshakeballa
08-04-2010, 04:15 PM

You aren't a fan of either team. Actually..you are a fan of the Knicks AND Heat.

How would I expect you to know what a rivalry even is?

Trust me..the rivalry is VERY real today. The past 3 years have definitely rekindled the flame.

To say otherwise is to be ignorant.

eisfeld
08-04-2010, 04:23 PM
This should be a no brainer. Even with his character issues - he was the main reason the Lakers won so many titles at the beginning of the millenium.

HarlemHeat37
08-04-2010, 04:49 PM
You aren't a fan of either team. Actually..you are a fan of the Knicks AND Heat.

How would I expect you to know what a rivalry even is?

Trust me..the rivalry is VERY real today. The past 3 years have definitely rekindled the flame.

To say otherwise is to be ignorant.

:lol ignorant?..

There's no rivalry, sorry..no altercations, no big incidents, no heart breaking shots, no intense trash talking or shots taken..

I wasn't an NBA fan during the 80s, but just watching videos and documentaries about the Lakers-Celtics rivalry during the 80s entertains me a lot..this one doesn't compare in any way at all..

TheMACHINE
08-04-2010, 04:58 PM
fuck that....he dissed Jerry Buss and LA fans. Championships or not, it makes sense to put up Lakers players that actually appreciate what they had here.

Darrin
08-04-2010, 05:00 PM
fuck that....he dissed Jerry Buss and LA fans. Championships or not, it makes sense to put up Lakers players that actually appreciate what they had here.

Even if it makes the Lakers look bad and petty?

21_Blessings
08-04-2010, 05:03 PM

Well the Lakers could retire Kirk Gibson's number. Then they could look good like the Miami Heat.

usdane
08-04-2010, 05:03 PM

Let The Magic retire him. They don't have anybody in the rafters.

TheMACHINE
08-04-2010, 05:04 PM

Was Shaq not bad and petty? If Lakers dont retire 34. no one would give a fuck.

Darrin
Well the Lakers could retire Kirk Gibson's number. Then they could look good like the Miami Heat.

:lol

HarlemHeat37
I don't see how it's Shaq's fault that Kobe snitched on him..that would sour any relationship..

Phil Jackson ripped Kobe to shreds, yet Laker fans instantly accepted him back when he returned..

TheMACHINE
08-04-2010, 05:05 PM
I don't see how it's Shaq's fault that Kobe snitched on him..that would sour any relationship..

Phil Jackson ripped Kobe to shreds, yet Laker fans instantly accepted him back when he returned..

whos fault was it for Shaq to yell "PAY ME" to Jerry Buss?

TheMACHINE
08-04-2010, 05:06 PM
If i was an owner of a company, i wouldnt honor an employee after he departs in that matter regardless if he gave me 3 good years of good sales.

HarlemHeat37
08-04-2010, 05:06 PM
When does an athlete not ask to get paid a lot of money?..

21_Blessings
08-04-2010, 05:07 PM
lol "I got hurt on company time, so I'll heal on company time..."

TheMACHINE
08-04-2010, 05:08 PM
When does an athlete not ask to get paid a lot of money?..

you try to and yell at your boss "Pay me" and see what happens.

HarlemHeat37
08-04-2010, 05:08 PM
Nobody will remember any of this in 5 years, TBH..the Lakers and Shaq will make up, they will have a big celebration, he will always be remembered as Laker IMO..

HarlemHeat37
08-04-2010, 05:09 PM
you try to and yell at your boss "Pay me" and see what happens.

I'm my own boss, and I tell myself that all the time..everybody wants to get paid more..

Everybody is always looking out for more money and long-term security, especially Shaq, since he was still a superstar player at the time(albeit past his prime, obviously)..

TheMACHINE
dont worry...the celtics will retire shaqs number.

TheMACHINE
I'm my own boss, and I tell myself that all the time..everybody wants to get paid more..

lol way to get around the question. i proved my point.

TheMACHINE
08-04-2010, 05:10 PM

Everybody is always looking out for more money and long-term security, especially Shaq, since he was still a superstar player at the time(albeit past his prime, obviously)..

you a fucking idiot...theres proper ways to ask for more money. fucking dumbass.

HarlemHeat37
08-04-2010, 05:10 PM
:lol why are you getting mad?..

Shaq asking in a rude way is irrelevant..it's a bad thing to do on his part, but it's not nearly enough to make them forget what he brought to the Lakers all those years..

usdane
08-04-2010, 05:11 PM

He is getting 1.4 mil. He could have gotten that just about anywhere.

Ashy Larry
08-04-2010, 05:29 PM
:lol why are you getting mad?..

Shaq asking in a rude way is irrelevant..it's a bad thing to do on his part, but it's not nearly enough to make them forget what he brought to the Lakers all those years..

and what has he really brought ????

- reviving the franchise after Magic's HIV announcement and Randy Pfund

- making the Forum exciting again

- option one of three championship teams

Doc Buss will throw that thing in the rafters. Yeah, Shaquille was a douche whistle but he's made Buss mucho bread. 34 will be retired.

Darrin
08-04-2010, 07:51 PM
If i was an owner of a company, i wouldnt honor an employee after he departs in that matter regardless if he gave me 3 good years of good sales.

You wouldn't keep him name off a plaque if he hit a sales record. We're not talking about re-hiring an employee-we are talking about recognizing the contributions he made while he was there because he was damn good. If the Pistons were in this position, I would demand they retire his number. I've done so with Dennis Rodman.

ezau
08-04-2010, 08:45 PM
Of course he "deserves" it ...he helped lead 3 title teams and ended "the drought" .

But he is as loyal as Kim Kardashian ...

He should start mending fences though (front office/fan base). Could be uncomfortable at his retirement ceremony if he does not ...

Me and a buddy discussed this yesterday ...I am not even mad at choosing the celts ...ESPECIALLY if he comes out says hey I only have a few years left and I want to catch Kobe and pass duncan ...

That would be honest, i would respect that and as long as he doesnt disrespect the form blue and gold while wearing that "puke colored green" ...I'm cool.

Admit it ..yes a heat/Lakers would be epic ...

But what about game 7 NBA finals Shaq announces it's his last game and plays his as off to try and deny the lakers (and kobe) 3 peat?

How good would THAT series be?

Killa bringing in the goods. Agree with everything you say

ezau
08-04-2010, 08:50 PM
whos fault was it for Shaq to yell "PAY ME" to Jerry Buss?

When you're a player of Shaq's caliber back in the early part of the decade, you deserved to get paid a lot of money.

milkshakeballa
08-04-2010, 09:31 PM
Nobody will remember any of this in 5 years, TBH..the Lakers and Shaq will make up, they will have a big celebration, he will always be remembered as Laker IMO..

True

Killakobe81
08-05-2010, 12:16 AM
:lol ignorant?..

There's no rivalry, sorry..no altercations, no big incidents, no heart breaking shots, no intense trash talking or shots taken..

I wasn't an NBA fan during the 80s, but just watching videos and documentaries about the Lakers-Celtics rivalry during the 80s entertains me a lot..this one doesn't compare in any way at all..

No rivalry? Go to a Celts board they still in mourning ...

Chieflion
08-05-2010, 01:05 AM
No rivalry? Go to a Celts board they still in mourning ...

It was a game 7 in the finals. I wouldn't be surprised if they moan about it for the next 10 years. It wouldn't have mattered whichever team beat them. They would still feel sour and bitter.

LakeShow
08-06-2010, 06:03 PM
Shaq should have his number retired however I don't expect it to happen anytime soon or as long as Dr. Buss is living.