PDA

View Full Version : Band of Brothers vs The Pacific

Venti Quattro
08-04-2010, 01:56 PM
Which is the better WWII mini-series?

I give The Pacific the slight edge because the Japs were more ruthless to the Yanks.

CosmicCowboy
08-04-2010, 01:59 PM
Hmmmm...BOB because of better character development. Pacific had some pretty crazy battle scenes though.

DesignatedT
08-04-2010, 02:44 PM
First 4 or 5 episodes of The Pacific were pretty bad. Like mentioned the character development was bad the whole series but the last 5 episodes were really great. BoB pulled the audience in from episode 1 and never let up. I probably give the edge to BoB but The Pacific made it closer than I would have thought. I really enjoyed the last half of the series.

MannyIsGod
08-04-2010, 02:58 PM
I tried watching The Pacific but I lost interest 3 or so episodes in. That wasn't even remotely possible with Band of Brothers.

MaNuMaNiAc
08-04-2010, 03:30 PM
Band of Brothers was by far the better series. Better acting (I say better to be nice because I consider the acting in The Pacific to be pretty fucking atrocious), characters were better developed by a mile and to be honest the camera work in The Pacific was crap.

Cane
08-04-2010, 03:31 PM
The Pacific's better than Band of Brothers when it comes to special effects, cinematography, and sheer brutality (mainly the last few episodes). However when it comes to story, screenplay, acting, character development, caring about whats going on, and arguably even the setting -- Band of Brothers was the more epic and masterful of a miniseries. The Pacific was still a great series though and here's hoping to more of these stunning shows.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
08-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Band of Brothers by far, The Pacific was actually a slight disappointment imo.

The Gemini Method
08-04-2010, 03:52 PM
Whilst my heart is with Band of Brothers/I enjoyed the brutality of The Pacific alot more. Both are better than any war mini-series to have ever come out, so you cannot go wrong with it. I think it's pretty basic to make a series regarding the European theater and be successful because there is more to go on via contrasting environments and a publicity that really was documented throughout the entirety of the war. However, the Pacific theater was quite possibly the more "mysterious" of the two because it was often fought in non-descript places like Saipan and Tinian. It always seems to be more of the "other" war but had just as big an impact on the future of the world as the war against the Nazis.

I will own both collections though...that's for sure.

MannyIsGod
08-04-2010, 04:13 PM
And as much as I love band of brothers Generation Kill was better than either.

The Gemini Method
08-04-2010, 04:15 PM
And as much as I love band of brothers Generation Kill was better than either.

Not I.

Johnny RIngo
08-04-2010, 05:11 PM
I tried watching The Pacific but I lost interest 3 or so episodes in.

Stopped watching around episode four I think. Going to have to go with Band of Brothers by default.

Sisk
08-04-2010, 05:36 PM
Pretty much what everyone else said. I watched like the first four episodes then completely lost interest.

BOB > Pacific

coyotes_geek
08-04-2010, 09:36 PM
BOB simply because it was consistently excellent. Pacific had excellent moments, but they all came later in the series.

Can't fault anyone who gave up on Pacific after 3 or 4 episodes, but FWIW you guys should consider watching the later episodes because it did get noticeably better.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
08-04-2010, 10:23 PM
Yeah it definitely got better in the last half of the show, but it had too much ground to make up if it wanted to be better than BOB

marini martini
08-05-2010, 12:09 AM
BOB, cuz I was in San Diego during 9/11/01 With my Dad & his tank krew!!!:tu

Amuseddaysleeper
08-05-2010, 01:20 AM
Nice thread :tu

I have 2 episodes left in BOB, and was thinking about watching The Pacific next. It's at least good to know if the first half of the Pacific is dissapointing it picks up in the 2nd half.

I am absolutely loving BOB so far, though

Strike
08-05-2010, 01:40 AM
I'm 4 episodes in on The Pacific and, so far, I have to say that Band Of Brothers was far and away superior at the same point. Maybe I expected too much out of The Pacific since I've seen B.O.B. so many times . I hope The Pacific improves though. I've heard and read it gets better. So far, my favorite performance has been that of Bill Sadler.

ChumpDumper
08-05-2010, 03:53 AM
BoB has a much tighter and coherent storyline since it's pretty much based on a single source; The Pacific is a patchwork of multiple sources and the seams are rather glaring. That said, The Pacific might be a little more realistic as it did depict long stretches away from the front, and it did seem to better show the outright savagery of combat itself. From a dramatic point of view though, BoB is pretty easily the better miniseries. Better writing, better cast, better acting, etc.

Venti Quattro
08-05-2010, 04:30 AM
I agree with all your assessments. BoB floors The Pacific on all fronts but The Pacific is more in your face and real in terms of the action sequences. I'm picking The Pacific on that basis.

rjv
08-05-2010, 10:05 AM
i selected band of brothers but i will have to qualify that episode 9 of the the pacific was the best individual episode of the 2 series put together

SpursNextRomanEmpire
08-05-2010, 12:12 PM
i selected band of brothers but i will have to qualify that episode 9 of the the pacific was the best individual episode of the 2 series put together

:tu That was one of my favorite episodes out of either shows.

CuckingFunt
08-05-2010, 12:18 PM
Tom Hardy was in a couple episodes of Band of Brothers, so... going to have to go with that one.

Also, like many others in this thread, I just couldn't get into The Pacific. War stuff isn't really my favorite genre, so I need interesting characters to grab me. Band of Brothers had that.

Biernutz
08-05-2010, 07:42 PM
BOB was just better done. They had a better cast and script.