PDA

View Full Version : Top 3 worst NBA announcers

PGDynasty24
08-04-2010, 11:52 PM
Were excluding network announcers,so just the hometown one's.

Mine would probably be-

1-Tom Heinsohln;his games are absolutely unbearable,I don't mind biased towards home team but he takes it to huge level

2-That blazers announcer Rice;i honestly don't know if that guy knows what the fuck he is doing,and he is annoying as hell. Anytime something happens bad to Blazers he finds some type of excuse for it.

3.That cavs announcer(the black guy)-He is just annoying as fuck,everytime Lebron dunked it he would be like "Here comes the L-Train".

bigdog
08-04-2010, 11:53 PM
Bill Land-Spurs announcer. I'm sure he's a great guy, but he's damn annoying, IMO. "OHHH MAMAAAA"

Leetonidas
08-04-2010, 11:54 PM
I don't have league pass so I never really get to hear any other teams' announcers. And I know you said we're excluding network announcers, but FUCK I hate Marc Jackson.

"Mama, there goes that man!"

:pctoss

Leetonidas
08-04-2010, 11:55 PM
Bill Land-Spurs announcer. I'm sure he's a great guy, but he's damn annoying, IMO. "OHHH MAMAAAA"

You don't like "OHHH MAMA!!" :lmao

I love Bill and Sean. They are MASSIVE homers, but they're entertaining.

Hooks
08-05-2010, 12:08 AM

I like him and Sean they're pretty entertaining. The other guy who commentates is just way too boring though, does anyone know his name?

Leetonidas
08-05-2010, 12:13 AM
I like him and Sean they're pretty entertaining. The other guy who commentates is just way too boring though, does anyone know his name?

I can't think of his name but I believe he's the dude that coaches the Silver Stars or something. Yeah he's fucking monotone as shit. Only Lance Blanks was worse.

angelbelow
08-05-2010, 12:15 AM

Mine would probably be-

1-Tom Heinsohln;his games are absolutely unbearable,I don't mind biased towards home team but he takes it to huge level

2-That blazers announcer Rice;i honestly don't know if that guy knows what the fuck he is doing,and he is annoying as hell. Anytime something happens bad to Blazers he finds some type of excuse for it.

3.That cavs announcer(the black guy)-He is just annoying as fuck,everytime Lebron dunked it he would be like "Here comes the L-Train".

i read the rules but i dont care: stuart scott

Venti Quattro
08-05-2010, 12:21 AM
that Sunderland guy before Joel Myers came in was pretty bad

James White!
08-05-2010, 12:30 AM
that Sunderland guy before Joel Myers came in was pretty bad

i liked myers, i miss when he did commentary for the spurs.

Venti Quattro
08-05-2010, 12:33 AM
That drunk in Cleveland is pretty bad.

Lol. Austin Carr, the guy who orgasms and shouts "GET THAT WEAK STUFF OUT OF HERE!!!" everytime the cavs make a block and "THE L-TRAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!" when LeBron makes a barrage of points. Yeah he's up there in the commentators that I can't stand but he doesn't hold a candle vs Mike Rice and Tommy Points

DMX7
08-05-2010, 12:37 AM
Bill Land is not in the bottom 3, not even close.

Sean is awesome.

The Blazers announces are ridiculous homers. I mean a little hometown bias is fine, but they're out of control.

redzero
08-05-2010, 12:37 AM
The Blazers' announcers, that fat, crazy Celtics announcer and that stuttering Cavs announcer.

DJ Mbenga
08-05-2010, 12:55 AM

Mine would probably be-

well we dont have to worry about that one anymore!
the spurs guys are just super homers. the blazers guys are homers and obnoxious. doris burke has to go, that bitch has no real insight. mark jackson is stupid and is all phrases. we laugh with van gundy but we laugh at mark jackson.

Obstructed_View
08-05-2010, 12:59 AM
Play by play guys rarely annoy me, but the color guys do. Clyde Drexler, Reggie Miller and Hubie Brown need to disappear.

Killakobe81
08-05-2010, 09:38 AM
Bill Land is not in the bottom 3, not even close.

Sean is awesome.

The Blazers announces are ridiculous homers. I mean a little hometown bias is fine, but they're out of control.

No, not really. he is not horrible but Awesome?

picc84
08-05-2010, 09:42 AM
Blazers announcers
Celtics announcers
Hornets announcers

In that order.

Ashy Larry
08-05-2010, 10:07 AM
You don't like "OHHH MAMA!!" :lmao

I love Bill and Sean. They are MASSIVE homers, but they're entertaining.

I love Elliott's story but he cries like a bitch at times. He truly suck behind the mic.

Tommy Heinsohn is pretty brutal.

Really makes me appreciate having Chick Hearn for all those years; and Spero, Stu, Mychal and Joel - who can be brutal at times.

Ashy Larry
08-05-2010, 10:09 AM
Lol. Austin Carr, the guy who orgasms and shouts "GET THAT WEAK STUFF OUT OF HERE!!!" everytime the cavs make a block and "THE L-TRAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!" when LeBron makes a barrage of points. Yeah he's up there in the commentators that I can't stand but he doesn't hold a candle vs Mike Rice and Tommy Points

Those lines will be few and far between.

And once again, Tommy Heinsohn shouldn't be behind the mic. Just awful.

I do like Eddie Johnson on the Suns broadcasts ..... Breen and Clyde Frazier are pretty decent for the Knix; and Marv is always a classic for the Nets.

hater
08-05-2010, 10:22 AM
Celtics bastard by a million miles.

namlook
08-05-2010, 01:11 PM
Celtics and Blazers have the worst announcers. Heinsohn is in a class by himself as a homer and the Blazers announcers are downright classless and mean-spirited and remind me of professional wrestling announcers.

HarlemHeat37
08-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Some people seem to forget that these local announcers are supposed to appeal to the fans of their team..Sean Elliott is a massive homer, but I love him as an announcer, because he announces for my team..

Tommy Heinsohn is fucking entertaining, I don't know why people dislike him so much..

usdane
08-05-2010, 01:34 PM
That women on ESPN - Doris i think is horrible. She is still not anywhere near as bad as the Blazers and Celtics commentators. I remember a vid where David Stern called the Blazer commentators homers; funny as hell.

Darrin
08-05-2010, 02:43 PM
http://media.mlive.com/grpress/sports_impact/photo/greg-kelser-23jpg-658269da2a3bb4f6_large.jpg
Greg Kelser and George Blaha (Detroit Pistons)--"Full of Sound and Fury".

I used to love these guys but they have become company men and so bland. Every Pistons player is great and all the other superstars are fantastic. They say nothing and use an awful lot of words. Kelser used to talk like a coach, Blaha like a fan. Now, they both say the exact same thing and look at the "positive" side of Pistons turnover. Fire whoever is coaching them to be bad.

Jess
08-05-2010, 03:03 PM
Am I the only person that can't stand Reggie Miller?

ohmwrecker
08-05-2010, 06:32 PM
Play by play guys rarely annoy me, but the color guys do. Clyde Drexler, Reggie Miller and Hubie Brown need to disappear.

I love Hubie . . .

I'm just glad Doug Collins won't be calling games next year.

LnGrrrR
08-05-2010, 06:35 PM

Mine would probably be-

As soon as I saw this topic I knew Heinsohn would be there. You have to understand that Heinsohn is merely commentating as the most biased Boston fan ever. He doesn't hide his love of the team, and given all he's done for the franchise, I don't think he could if he wanted to.

baseline bum
08-05-2010, 06:45 PM
If we're talking all-time:

1 - Tom Heinsohn
2 - Johnny Most
3 - Hot Rod Hundley

baseline bum
08-05-2010, 06:46 PM
Honorable mention to Calvin Murphy.

mingus
08-05-2010, 10:21 PM
iirc, Blazers, Celtics, and I think it was Nuggets announcers.

Ginobili2Duncan
08-05-2010, 10:39 PM
I love Hubie . . .

I'm just glad Doug Collins won't be calling games next year.

Really? I thought Doug Collins was the commentator there was for the past few years. Him and Kevin Harlen had great chemistry IMO.

Ashy Larry
08-06-2010, 09:54 AM
That actually was a good team...... Kevin Harlen is the shit.......

I have no problem with the homerism because there have been many times where Stu Lantz have gone on the court to give Kobe's meatsac mouth to mouth, but Stu is fair in calling the games.

Perkins could take an ax and bury it in some dude's skull and Heinsohn would scream there is no foul there and then once the replay is shown, he retracts and makes himself look like a douche.

ohmwrecker
08-06-2010, 10:01 AM
Doug Collins is coaching the 76ers next year. I like Kevin Harlan, but Collins annoys the shit out of me.

Bito Corleone
08-06-2010, 12:16 PM
Anybody is better than Reggie Miller. Listening to him talk hurts my ears.

gmartin02
08-06-2010, 11:10 PM
As soon as I saw this topic I knew Heinsohn would be there. You have to understand that Heinsohn is merely commentating as the most biased Boston fan ever. He doesn't hide his love of the team, and given all he's done for the franchise, I don't think he could if he wanted to.
Being a homer announcer on local broadcasts is one thing, but anyone of you old enough to remember that Heinsohn did the color commentary for the NBA finals on CBS from 84-87 (Boston in all 4 finals) know how disgusting it was. You practically had to turn the sound off in order to watch the games (I guess unless you were a Boston fan).

For that reason Heinsohn gets my vote for the all time #1 worst announcer (although I also can't stand Jeff Van Gundy - at least I don't have to listen to Heinsohn on national broadcasts any more.)

ulosturedge
08-07-2010, 12:00 AM
Hmmm, I liked Doug Collins. Bill Walton was the one who annoyed the fuck out of me hearing him commentate on games....

Killakobe81
08-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Being a homer announcer on local broadcasts is one thing, but anyone of you old enough to remember that Heinsohn did the color commentary for the NBA finals on CBS from 84-87 (Boston in all 4 finals) know how disgusting it was. You practically had to turn the sound off in order to watch the games (I guess unless you were a Boston fan).

For that reason Heinsohn gets my vote for the all time #1 worst announcer (although I also can't stand Jeff Van Gundy - at least I don't have to listen to Heinsohn on national broadcasts any more.)

I like Mark Jax ...""Grown man move!!"

JVG is ok when is NOT trying to be funny ...

Harlan is pretty good my fave "Lebron with NO REGARD FOR HUMAN LIFE!!!!!"

But all the network AND local guys are no where next to the man...Chick Hearn.

"no harm, no foul, no blood, no ambulance" = non call on physical play

"That was NOT a phi beta kappa foul" = dumb foul

"the mustard is off the hot dog" = showy play that fails ...

"Whoa ...rock the baby to sleep" ...when Dr.J dunked on the Lakers in the Finals ...

"Kareem swings left and shoots right ...sky hook ....good!"

Magc no look to Worthy ...satue of liberty ...SLAMMMM Dunk!!!

Chick was the best there ever was and best there ever will be...

Stu to me has been shit since Chick left. I hate his call "noiiiiice!!" no, annoying !!!!!!~!...

50 cent
08-07-2010, 02:03 PM
Celtics announcers
Rockets announcers
Blazers announcers

In that order.

2pac > Kobe
08-07-2010, 02:14 PM
Am I the only person that can't stand Reggie Miller?
I hate that dude, he says the same shit plus he is a reptilian shape shifter

djohn2oo8
08-07-2010, 02:28 PM
Celtics announcers
Rockets announcers
Blazers announcers

In that order.

Sean _ is more of a homer than Drexler and Worrell...Drexler is just incompetent

JEREBKO POWER
08-07-2010, 11:45 PM
http://media.mlive.com/grpress/sports_impact/photo/greg-kelser-23jpg-658269da2a3bb4f6_large.jpg
Greg Kelser and George Blaha (Detroit Pistons)--"Full of Sound and Fury".

I used to love these guys but they have become company men and so bland. Every Pistons player is great and all the other superstars are fantastic. They say nothing and use an awful lot of words. Kelser used to talk like a coach, Blaha like a fan. Now, they both say the exact same thing and look at the "positive" side of Pistons turnover. Fire whoever is coaching them to be bad.
Do you like anything about the Pistons? All I ever see is you bitch about the team in some way or form. Blaha is a legend.

Darrin
08-08-2010, 12:16 AM
Do you like anything about the Pistons? All I ever see is you bitch about the team in some way or form. Blaha is a legend.

When it's good, it's good. When it's bad, it's bad. It doesn't mean I stop loving them. Since firing Flip Saunders and moving the Pistons to FSN, they have done little to impress me.

ElNono
08-08-2010, 12:34 AM
Tommy Heinsohn was a crybaby even before the big 3 era. I can't even think how much he cries now (haven't heard him in a while).

The other guy whose voice is annoying as shit is Walt Frazier, the Knicks color guy. They always have the best play-by-play guys (Marv Albert/Mike Breen) but then when they cut into Walt it makes you want to vomit.

As far as the usual national tv guys, Mark Jackson is easily among the worst.

I like Hubie, and I really miss the over-the-top stuff from Bill Walton... :lol

Ashy Larry
08-08-2010, 09:25 AM
I really miss the over-the-top stuff from Bill Walton... :lol

Have you ever seen the grace and leaping abilities coming from the high flyer Eric Piatkowski ????

Classic Walton. Was at his best when he was the Clippers' color man......

Leonard Curse
08-08-2010, 10:52 AM
I hate that dude, he says the same shit plus he is a reptilian shape shifter

:lol dude i read on that stuff and if that stuff is in deed true reggie is the most advanced in appearance he looks like a damn raptor lizard

da_suns_fan
08-08-2010, 11:17 AM
Mark Jackson.

"Thats just bad defense."

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

TD 21
08-08-2010, 03:15 PM
I like Mark Jax ...""Grown man move!!"

JVG is ok when is NOT trying to be funny ...

Of course you do, you're a Lakers fan.

Jackson is an absolute joke. If ABC/ESPN were interested in maintaining an ounce of credibility, they'd have disposed of him immediately following his disgusting display in the Finals.

I'm not sure I've ever seen an national announcer (and crew in general) be so openly biased. The network and league ought to be embarrassed.

The entire coverage needs to change. No more Bryant ass kissing the game after he takes some warranted criticism; no more pretending the most pedestrian things he does are amazing; no more pretending he's greater than he actually is historically; no more showing his face coming out of every timeout.

It's sickening and makes the league look like a joke. No other league is this focused on individual. People complain about these guys ego's being out of control, but the truth is, this league enables them and promotes much of their behavior. For example, Bryant puts on a phony face for the cameras that he never used to have and they eat it up and pretend it's an indication of how intense he is and how bad he wants it. Or if Bryant pretends to play coach, they pretend it means he's a great leader.

But back to Jackson. The guy was getting openly upset during the Finals when his hero Bryant was getting questioned and blatantly cheering for them, particularly in game seven, when for much of it, he sensed it all slipping away. This is a guy who used to play in the league and is from New York, which begs the question: Why the fuck does he care about the Lakers and Bryant? There's no logical reason for it, so the only explanation I can come up with is the network has pressured him, Van Gundy, Breen, the studio guys and pretty much anyone who works on their broadcasts to do what they're doing.

HarlemHeat37
08-08-2010, 04:01 PM
TD, you have to expect it, that's just how it is..ABC/ESPN is the same network that hid Kobe's FG% for game 7, and chose to show his FT% instead, which is unheard of..

TD 21
08-08-2010, 04:12 PM
Oh, I expect it, but it's still annoying. Their coverage overall is just awful. They league should be in touch with the highers ups and be working on a complete overhaul.

Game three was an absolute abomination. You know, the one where Bryant came into it desperate to re-affirm his status as the unquestioned best player on the Lakers and no-brainer choice for Finals MVP, after the headlines after two games basically inferred that Gasol was now perilously close to being his equal. He went so far as to blatantly look Gasol off in the post many a time and instead jacked up ridiculous shot after ridiculous shot, yet they would not call him on it. Once they commented that he took a bad shot I believe, but not really delving it and ripping him like they should have and would have if it were anybody else.

I don't want to turn this into a Bryant thread, but the guy who's supposedly more obsessed with winning than anyone since Jordan (which is obviously bullshit) risked losing a championship because it had to be done his way, on his terms. So much for the notion that "he's changed" that they've desperately tried to sell us on for going on three years now.

Should they meet the Heat in the Finals next year, Gasol may have to be the MVP for the Lakers to beat them, but Bryant won't allow it. He's not like Duncan, who doesn't give a shit and only cares about winning. If he pulls that shit against the Heat for even a game, that could be the championship right there. We all knew the Lakers were going to find a way to beat the Celtics (but not without a little assistance, of course), but the Heat? It's going to be tough enough as is.

DPG21920
08-08-2010, 04:42 PM
I like the Ninja. Although he is a homer, he does not pull punches when talking about his own team. He will flat out call people out. He is funny (in a homer way), but he has solid basketball insight and does not candy coat everything.

Killakobe81
08-08-2010, 06:54 PM
LOL at the hate on Jackson. I just re-watched a bunch of games from the playoff run Mark Jackson said "that was bad defense by kobe" when he would leave rondo open to double ...he also called out his bad shot selection is Game 7 ...

But because you guys hate the Lakers it was sooo biased. What about the love they threw Rondo even though he was BARELY getting guarded by the Lakers?

Personally I dont care I dont love Mark Jacckson I just loved that call..."grown man move" ...

But how is the slobbering they did on Kobe any diffrent than Marv Albert and Costas back in the day slobbering over jordan?

But if you read these posts above some of yall sound awfully butthurt.

HarlemHeat37
08-08-2010, 06:56 PM
It isn't different, Jordan had the media bias on his side too..I doubt they ever hid his FG% though..

Killakobe81
08-08-2010, 06:58 PM
It isn't different, Jordan had the media bias on his side too..I doubt they ever hid his FG% though..

At least you are honest ...

Personally a better question would be who are actually good announcers almost ALL of them suck TBH

I miss Chick Hearn ...

baseline bum
08-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Have you ever seen the grace and leaping abilities coming from the high flyer Eric Piatkowski ????

Classic Walton. Was at his best when he was the Clippers' color man......

:lol

I miss the days you'd hear him ragging on Olowokandi every night.

Booharv
08-09-2010, 05:40 AM

Walton will be back next year with the Kings. If you combine that with the Kings influx of talent over the last two years, I will be watching plenty of Kings games on League Pass next year.

MI21
08-09-2010, 06:44 AM
I physically struggle to listen to a game commentated by the Miami Heat play-by-play guy.

His voice is beyond irritating.

TD 21
08-09-2010, 04:04 PM
LOL at the hate on Jackson. I just re-watched a bunch of games from the playoff run Mark Jackson said "that was bad defense by kobe" when he would leave rondo open to double ...he also called out his bad shot selection is Game 7 ...

But because you guys hate the Lakers it was sooo biased. What about the love they threw Rondo even though he was BARELY getting guarded by the Lakers?

Personally I dont care I dont love Mark Jacckson I just loved that call..."grown man move" ...

But how is the slobbering they did on Kobe any diffrent than Marv Albert and Costas back in the day slobbering over jordan?

But if you read these posts above some of yall sound awfully butthurt.

Typical Lakers fan. Just admit that a bunch of these clowns slurp the Lakers and Bryant in particular. It's not going to change the fact that they're back to back champions.

Jackson has been a major Lakers homer for a few years now. It's beyond obvious and if you're being objective, not even debatable. Big deal if he said that? What about the countless times where he was blatantly biased towards Bryant? What about every time there's a 50/50 call, if it benefits the Lakers, he goes "that's the correct call". If it doesn't, it's "bad call". Without fail. Anytime they were being challenged or seriously threatened, he'd get concerned to the point where you could hear anger in his voice. Rarely is it about what the opposition is doing or needs to do, it's what the Lakers are doing, need to do, or aren't doing.

With Jordan, I felt it was genuine awe and admiration (not some made up shit to attempt to brainwash novice fans into believing some phony asshole is greater than he is historically, like it is with Bryant), particularly from Albert. Costas was blatantly slurping.

picc84
08-09-2010, 04:06 PM
Glad Doug Collins won't be in the booth any more. That guy didn't know how to shut the fuck up. No wonder his players tune him out after a month.

TD 21
08-09-2010, 04:25 PM
Glad Doug Collins won't be in the booth any more. That guy didn't know how to shut the fuck up. No wonder his players tune him out after a month.

Collins also slurps the Lakers, though not nearly to the extent of the ABC/ESPN guys.

If Walton is up to doing regular work again after next season, then it's a no brainer for ABC/ESPN to bring him back. He's easily more entertaining than anyone they have. If they're not smart enough to do that, then TNT should hire him and reunite him with Albert. Albert/Kerr is a good tandem, but Albert/Walton is better. They could either go to a three man booth or put Kerr with Harlen.

Breen/Jackson/Van Gundy I liked at first, but the past two seasons they've annoyed me with all their bullshit.

In general, TNT is so much better than ABC/ESPN. The announcers, the in studio guys, the theme music, heck even the look of the studio, etc.

Killakobe81
08-09-2010, 05:05 PM
Typical Lakers fan. Just admit that a bunch of these clowns slurp the Lakers and Bryant in particular. It's not going to change the fact that they're back to back champions.

Jackson has been a major Lakers homer for a few years now. It's beyond obvious and if you're being objective, not even debatable. Big deal if he said that? What about the countless times where he was blatantly biased towards Bryant? What about every time there's a 50/50 call, if it benefits the Lakers, he goes "that's the correct call". If it doesn't, it's "bad call". Without fail. Anytime they were being challenged or seriously threatened, he'd get concerned to the point where you could hear anger in his voice. Rarely is it about what the opposition is doing or needs to do, it's what the Lakers are doing, need to do, or aren't doing.

With Jordan, I felt it was genuine awe and admiration (not some made up shit to attempt to brainwash novice fans into believing some phony asshole is greater than he is historically, like it is with Bryant), particularly from Albert. Costas was blatantly slurping.

bitter much? LOL
I bet Sean Elliott does a great job in your estimation ...
Slobber is still slobber ...at least HH admits that ...

All I said was i liked "grown man move" ...and that he DID call out Kobe some ...though not nearly enough for a fair and unbiased fans such as yourself ... lmao ...maybe you shoul look in the mirror or read what you type before casting stones ...

Railing about biased announcers with a biased post ..."way to show me!!!!"

TD 21
08-09-2010, 05:34 PM
bitter much? LOL
I bet Sean Elliott does a great job in your estimation ...
Slobber is still slobber ...at least HH admits that ...

All I said was i liked "grown man move" ...and that he DID call out Kobe some ...though not nearly enough for a fair and unbiased fans such as yourself ... lmao ...maybe you shoul look in the mirror or read what you type before casting stones ...

Railing about biased announcers with a biased post ..."way to show me!!!!"

I'm not bitter at all. I'm not a Jordan fan, I just call it like I see it.

It's not just the not calling out enough, it's the pretending everything he does is great. Jackson is such a Bryant lover that a few years back he called him better than Jordan. Didn't even wait for him to win an MVP, pile on a few championships as a lead player/Finals MVP, etc.

Lakers fans love the attention and slobbering their team receives, only you can't actually admit that that happens, then they get all defensive. You pretend to be unbiased, but the truth is you're not.

Elliott is a massive homer, the difference is he's a local announcer. Virtually all of them are massive homers.

Killakobe81
08-09-2010, 05:43 PM
I'm not bitter at all. I'm not a Jordan fan, I just call it like I see it.

It's not just the not calling out enough, it's the pretending everything he does is great. Jackson is such a Bryant lover that a few years back he called him better than Jordan. Didn't even wait for him to win an MVP, pile on a few championships as a lead player/Finals MVP, etc.

Lakers fans love the attention and slobbering their team receives, only you can't actually admit that that happens, then they get all defensive. You pretend to be unbiased, but the truth is, you're not.

Elliott is a massive homer, the difference is, he's a local announcer. Virtually all of them are massive homers.

I never said he isn't a fan of Kobe's game. In fact anyone that just watches ball ...would appreciate his game. As a person, I get why some people even Lakers fans don't like Kobe. And there are plenty of those. I just choose to seperate the players on court and off-court.

As for Jackson you don't have to agree but he is a former player and may even get in to the HOF. So you should repect it even if you don't agree. i dont think he ever gets on Tom Heinson's level but apparently some of you feel so. TBH during the Finals Im too busy yelling and cheering to pay much attention to those losers anyway ...

I thought Walton overlyslobbed on Duncan, Shaq, Horry (he does for all big men) but my guess is you did not have a problem with that, BECAUSE sometimes Tim does not get as much respect as he deserves because he is more humble and unassuming.

My point is most of the complaining is coming from Lakerhaters (not saying you are one)

Killakobe81
08-09-2010, 05:46 PM
Also I think Jackson revised his comments this year ( i remeber the Jordan talked in '08 -'09) and said he is inthe same sentence.

I also think MJ>Kobe but to argue Kobe is not in the conversation is stupid. It is a short convo ...Jordan is better. But for people to act like Mj is some sanctified God that can't be touched is slobbbering as well ...

TD 21
08-09-2010, 05:55 PM
It's beyond being a fan of his game though, trust me. You're too deep in the trees to see the forest on this one.

Agree with what? No one is arguing that Bryant isn't a great player, I'm just saying they go completely over the top hyping him up and Jackson takes it to another level, defending him on everything and getting frustrated when the Lakers are struggling.

So you don't pay much attention to the announcers, but you're going to tell me that they're not biased?

You're absolutely right about Walton and you're also right that it didn't bother me because usually Duncan doesn't get as much respect as he deserves. If he did, I'd have no problem admitting that he did.

I agree that people go over the top with their praise of Jordan a lot, but at the same time, Bryant is not in the conversation. The way I see it, Bryant is definitely not one of the 7 or 8 best players of all-time, so how could he be compared to the consensus greatest of all-time? I get that they're more similar in a lot of ways than any of the other top 7 or 8 are to Jordan, but still.

picc84
08-09-2010, 06:05 PM
The way I and many, many others see it, Bryant is definitely arguable for top 7 or 8 of all time. Any comparison to Jordan is off-base, but acting like its not even arguable that he's top 8 is ridiculous and any NBA player in history would laugh at the notion. And surprise surprise, NBA and ex-NBA players are the ones on tv talking about him.

Killakobe81
08-09-2010, 06:08 PM
It's beyond being a fan of his game though, trust me. You're too deep in the trees to see the forest on this one.

Agree with what? No one is arguing that Bryant isn't a great player, I'm just saying they go completely over the top hyping him up and Jackson takes it to another level, defending him on everything and getting frustrated when the Lakers are struggling.

So you don't pay much attention to the announcers, but you're going to tell me that they're not biased?

You're absolutely right about Walton and you're also right that it didn't bother me because usually Duncan doesn't get as much respect as he deserves. If he did, I'd have no problem admitting that he did.

I agree that people go over the top with their praise of Jordan a lot, but at the same time, Bryant is not in the conversation. The way I see it, Bryant is definitely not one of the 7 or 8 best players of all-time, so how could he be compared to the consensus greatest of all-time? I get that they're more similar in a lot of ways than any of the other top 7 or 8 are to Jordan, but still.

so riddle me this where do you rank him and where you rank Duncan? or Shaq?

Killakobe81
08-09-2010, 06:18 PM
Or even better lets put it this way.

Let's say Mark Jackson goes on air and says "I played against stockton and Magic and IMHO Stockton is a better PG than Magic" ...

Would i be initially upset? Yes, Magic is my all-time favorite player.
would i respect his opinion? Yes, he played against BOTH so he has credentials and he is one of the all-time assits leaders.

If he made this comment, talked about his greatness if Stocton was getting torched by the Glove in that series and STILL stuck to his guns ...would I ASSUME he is biased?
No.
I would just think he is wrong. These guys make more noise by taking a stand. And TBH, I think both Jackson and JVG do it constantly/ I googled "jackson thinks Kobe .." and got a bunch of results with 90% saying Jackson was crazy.

I bet you Jackson really think s Mj is definitively better ...but maybe Kobe is in the convo.
I don't really care ...(about Mark) I just was initially making the point he didnt seem THAT bad to me. You disagree,..and that is cool. But you called me a typical Laker fan, when i could say your posts sounded like a typical Laker hater ..

It's all good. Just an intelligent debate where we disagree. I think your bias is clouding you a bit and maybe mines are doing the same ...

Ashy Larry
08-09-2010, 06:21 PM

He made even Clipper basketball a joy to watch because they were a bad team under horrible ownership. A going nowhere franchise and every game, he would give you atleast three or four good laughs.

He and Lawler were a great team .......

Killakobe81
08-09-2010, 06:21 PM
JVG is doing the same crap BTW with sdaying the Heat will break 72 wins ...

Reggie did it last year by saying we wouldn't lose for 2 months these guys are foolish ...

Venti Quattro
08-09-2010, 06:29 PM
Mark Jackson.

"Thats just bad defense."

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

also he always says "i'll take better offense over good defense any day of the week"

Killakobe81
08-09-2010, 06:32 PM
LOL he does say that alot ...
Never said he was good ...I just liked "grown man move" ...maybe because at this stage of my playing career that all i have left ...

I used to have hops and quicks ...now Im left with GROWN ... MAN ...MOVE!! LOL

Venti Quattro
08-09-2010, 06:36 PM
between jackson and miller on the booth, i'll take mark jackson over reggie miller any day of the week

picc84
08-09-2010, 06:36 PM
Good old Mark. Love that man. :lol

Ginobili2Duncan
08-09-2010, 08:11 PM
TNT has the best coverage in my opinion. They have guys who always call the game the way they see it and they also know how to give credit where credit is due without kissing someone's ass.

On the NBA Countdown on ABC Wilbon and Barry are constantly kissing Magic's ass. Almost everytime Magic makes a point Barry or Wilbon follow it up by repeating what he says and follow it up by saying "Magic is the greatest.", "Magic wouldn't have done this.", "I remember watching Magic play."

Don't get me wrong, Magic is certainly the best PG to play the game but we as the fans know that, Wilbon and Barry are supposed to be the professionals, but they act like groupies every time Magic is on the set. You don't see Ernie Johnson or Kenny Smith constantly kissing Barkley's ass everytime he makes a statement.

As for the play by play analysis, ESPN is slowly starting to turn me off to them with their constant nut hugging. I'm all for giving credit where credit is due, but Jackson and Van Gundy are constantly kissing someone else's ass. Its getting embarassing to watch.

SomeCallMeTim
08-09-2010, 09:23 PM
:lol at anyone who thinks today's national guys are "biased."

They are not biased for any team. They are frontrunners, full stop. They will praise and verbally tongue bathe any team or player that is winning, especially in the playoffs. Win a title, and they will practically anoint you for sainthood.

Therefore, of course the Lakers have gotten most of the slobbering these past couple seasons. They won the title back-to-back, for crying out loud. Year before that, it was the Celtics... year before that, Spurs.

See how that works?

The proof of this is to go to opposing teams' forums and watch the fans of each complain about the exact same commentator being biased for the opponent and against their favorite team!

There are thousands of fanboyz out there who are convinced Doug Collins loves the Lakers... and an equal number of Lakerboyz who think he hates them. Same thing for JVG, Barkley, etc.

Killakobe81
08-09-2010, 10:14 PM
:lol at anyone who thinks today's national guys are "biased."

They are not biased for any team. They are frontrunners, full stop. They will praise and verbally tongue bathe any team or player that is winning, especially in the playoffs. Win a title, and they will practically anoint you for sainthood.

Therefore, of course the Lakers have gotten most of the slobbering these past couple seasons. They won the title back-to-back, for crying out loud. Year before that, it was the Celtics... year before that, Spurs.

See how that works?

The proof of this is to go to opposing teams' forums and watch the fans of each complain about the exact same commentator being biased for the opponent and against their favorite team!

There are thousands of fanboyz out there who are convinced Doug Collins loves the Lakers... and an equal number of Lakerboyz who think he hates them. Same thing for JVG, Barkley, etc.

Amen. couldn't say it any better ...

SomeCallMeTim
08-09-2010, 10:24 PM
Walton will be back next year with the Kings. If you combine that with the Kings influx of talent over the last two years, I will be watching plenty of Kings games on League Pass next year.

For real?

If true, I am glad. Love Bill Walton's commentating. He's even looser and crazier with local broadcasts.

But it doesn't sound quite right. He's a San Diego guy and he's going to live in Sac for the season just to take this gig?

But lo and behold, Google says it's true. Crazy. Wish he would've gone back to the Clippers broadcasts. the early 90s broadcasts with him and Lawler are just comedy gold.

Killakobe81
08-09-2010, 10:34 PM
For real?

If true, I am glad. Love Bill Walton's commentating. He's even looser and crazier with local broadcasts.

But it doesn't sound quite right. He's a San Diego guy and he's going to live in Sac for the season just to take this gig?

But lo and behold, Google says it's true. Crazy. Wish he would've gone back to the Clippers broadcasts. the early 90s broadcasts with him and Lawler are just comedy gold.

Bingo!
Oh me oh my!
AS john wooden would say "Goodness gracious sakes alive!"
or
according to "Wooden's pyramid of success" ...
Like the great centers Kareem, Wilt etc.

baseline bum
08-09-2010, 11:41 PM
I'm a huge Walton fan, but he can occasionally be a real horse's ass. For instance, when he called Larry Johnson a sad and pathetic man for getting torched by Duncan in game 1 of the 99 Finals. For one, Johnson is a short 6'6", for two, Van Gundy never sent any kind of double team help, and for three, Johnson hurt his knee in game 6 of the ECF, and it looked pretty bad. His mobility was shit in those Finals because of that injury. For the most part, I love his work though, even if he did say Kobe was making the twin towers look like the twin sisters when he went nuts on Antonio Daniels in game 1 of the 01 WCF.

baseline bum
08-09-2010, 11:44 PM
Plus, Walton's on crack calling La Fogata the best restaurant in San Antonio. Every single time the Clippers and Spurs played, he mentioned La Fogata a minimum of three times.

Venti Quattro
08-10-2010, 12:03 AM
I hope Walton makes the comeback to ESPN