PDA

View Full Version : Shaq, T-Mac, Iverson - Which one gonna hurt you worst?

Indazone
08-05-2010, 09:29 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/429069-shaq-t-mac-or-allen-iverson-which-free-agent-could-hurt-you-the-most#page/11

If I told you that three free agents with eight NBA scoring titles, 2 NBA MVP trophies and 4 NBA Championships between them were still available for the picking, most NBA GM's would jump at the idea of adding them to the team.

But these aren't your typical free agents. They are locker room distractions, injury-prone and they have more issues than Lindsey Lohan.

In fact, they can actually hurt your team. Let's take a look at these three free agents and figure out who can hurt your team the most.

SHAQ

Shaquille O'Neal is the most decorated and accomplished player on this list.

He has four NBA titles and definitive Hall-of-Fame credentials.

But the reality is, he is past his prime and is just trying to get one more big payday before he retires.

Shaq is a terrible free throw shooter and a liability on defense. He defends the pick-and-roll poorly and slows down the game.

He can still be a presence inside but only at limited minutes.

He's also been a BIG locker room distraction. Remember his well-documented spat with Kobe?

He checked out in Miami and reportedly feuded with Pat Riley. Then after his stint in Phoenix, he called Nash's MVPs "tainted."

The big guy was probably in his behavior in Cleveland but he wasn't much of a factor until the playoffs. It was a contract year though, so his past history doesn't warrant him the benefit of a doubt.

Maybe it's time to go to China?

Shaq has yet to get into serious discussions with any NBA team. But he told reporters on August 3, "I know I will play in the NBA next season." In all likelihood, he'll be picked up by a playoff contender. But he just might do more harm than good.

Iverson

During his prime, Iverson was a scoring machine. With four scoring championships he had the ability to carry his team.

A.I. still dominates the ball, but now that his talent has waned his ballhogging ways may actually hurt a team.

Iverson’s gambling problems and alcohol issues have been widely documented this offseason

During his first stint with the Sixers, he had issues with the coaching staff and stormed out of practice. While with the Detroit Pistons he threw a tantrum and threatened to retire when asked to consider a bench role. Later, as a member of the Memphis Grizzlies, Iverson expressed more displeasure in having a bench role. Then parties eventually agreed to part ways.

Iverson, 35, is still capable of scoring in bunches. But teams, knowing his history, are probably reluctant to consider adding the free agent.

Unless he's open to diminished minutes and a possible bench role, Iverson may never have a chance to redeem himself in the NBA.

T-Mac

McGrady, 31, has never led a team past the first round of the playoffs.

After winning two scoring titles and making seven All-Star appearances, T-Mac just kind find a way to win in the postseason. This year's version of McGrady is only a shadow of his former MVP-caliber self. Albeit, inconsistently he showed that he can still produce numbers with the New York Knicks. However, he did force a lot of drives and jumpers. That type of I-have-something-to-prove mentality could actually hurt a team.

The plus on McGrady? He is less of a locker room distraction than Iverson or Shaq.

Unlike the other two, T-Mac has actually been vocal about his willingness to take on a role as a reserve.

On his Twitter account, he actively lobbied to be a part of a championship contender. The only question is he can play through a full season without getting hurt.

Here's a red flag: He worked out for the Clippers and they signed Rasual Butler instead.

When it sounded like he was a sure bet to be a Chicago Bull, the team had second thoughts. (T-Mac stated to the press he intended to force or prove his way into a starting role - Typical T-Mac stupidity).

Now league executives are wondering what's really going on with him.

Conclusion

There's no doubt about it, the player that hurts the team the most is Shaquille O'Neal.

At this point in his career, the only thing he brings to a team is a big body. Along with that big body is a huge unpredictable personality.

He's had problems almost everywhere he's gone. A.I. may also be a distraction but Shaq's personality still covers more ground. Forget the four championship rings. His giant ego will only hurt a team.

jacobdrj
08-05-2010, 10:16 AM
Shaq is more of a team player than Iverson, or even T-Mac. He has shown that he is willing to at least 'try' on defense.

I'd take Shaq before Iverson. T-Mac intrigues me. But I don't know if he has anything left.

Leetonidas
08-05-2010, 10:18 AM
Shaq already signed with the Celtics brah

8FOR!3
08-05-2010, 10:46 AM
I'll take...

T-Mac, Shaq, and then Iverson.

T-Mac's still got the potential if he can stay healthy to become a great player again. He's not quite THAT old. God's honest truth he should still be in his prime. He's the same age and been playing a year less than Kobe. But that's a big IF.

Shaq can be a bit of a liability, that's definitely been decided. But he can also help as an inside presence and he's still a big help against Orlando and LA, two contenders. So I can see why he got picked up by a team. That's probably how Boston looks at it at least. Not enough to put him on top of T-Mac, but I'll take him over Iverson.

Iverson is a poison. He can still ball, but not good enough to be a volume scorer. And that's all he'll ever be with his attitude.

will_spurs
08-05-2010, 11:31 AM
The playing that hurts a team the most is Iverson by a wide margin.

Then it's a toss-up between T-Mac and Shaq. Nothing really against T-Mac except his resume is very, very short in the achievements category, and he might spend the whole season on the bench. Shaq still has the drive to win one more than Duncan, can play second fiddle to somebody else (like in Miami) and he isn't a big body, he's a HUGE body.

DMX7
08-05-2010, 01:05 PM
More like, which one is going to get hurt first.

HarlemHeat37
08-05-2010, 01:54 PM
I'd rather have:

1- Shaq
2- McGrady
3- Iverson

Shaq has already shown that he can accept a lesser role..the problem with Shaq is when a coach mis-utilizes or over-utilizes him at this point of his career, like Mike Brown did last year..he should never be a consistent go to option, he should never be force-fed..he should be coming off the bench and playing the role of a 4th big man, occasionally a 3rd big..Doc Rivers is a good enough coach to do that IMO..

McGrady is useful as a point-forward, and reports have said that he's willing to play a lesser role on a good team..that's pretty much his only use at this point, but if he keeps his ego in check like he said, he's worth a go for the minimum..

Iverson could still play a decent role, but he has shown no signs of taking a lesser role, even at this age..I don't believe he will take a lesser role any time soon, and by the time he decides to, it'll probably be too late..

ezzizle
08-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Iverson is a cancer at this point in his career.

Indazone
08-05-2010, 04:27 PM
Pretty much I think Iverson is a total team cancer. Shaq can help out still cause he's a huge body even though his ego is huge. T-Mac I think is done but his mind will not accept it.

Lets throw Agent Zero into this mix just for grins.

Anyone want Gilbert Arenas?