PDA

View Full Version : underrated bands

rjv
08-05-2010, 10:09 AM
i always though los lobos gets too little credit. they are exceptional musicians and it is odd to me that a band as solid as the grateful dead never had that many hits and were considered more as having more of a cult following.

DAF86
08-05-2010, 10:20 AM
Mars Volta

Drachen
08-05-2010, 10:50 AM
I won't say they are "Most underrated" or anything, however I really dig Faith No More, and I know many don't dig FNM so I would have to say they are underrated.

mrsmaalox
08-05-2010, 11:18 AM
i always though los lobos gets too little credit. they are exceptional musicians and it is odd to me that a band as solid as the grateful dead never had that many hits and were considered more as having more of a cult following.

Los Lobos is one of my favorite bands, I've been fortunate to catch them live many times. I think their limited commercial endeavors are by their own design; they've chosen to remain true to their humble roots.

rjv
08-05-2010, 11:29 AM
Los Lobos is one of my favorite bands, I've been fortunate to catch them live many times. I think their limited commercial endeavors are by their own design; they've chosen to remain true to their humble roots.

i agree. i actually had the pleasure of sitting with them for breakfast at las manitas in austin when they were in town to do an austin city limits show. they are actually playing at the guadalupe theater in san antonio sometime in september.

benefactor
08-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Rush.

You always see the usual suspects when someone talks about great classic rock...Hendrix, Zepplin, Pink Floyd, etc...but Rush rarely gets mentioned and certainly deserve it.

Muser
08-05-2010, 12:06 PM
Idk if it's just me, but I never see Judas Priest geta lot of praise.

Dave Mustaine
08-05-2010, 12:11 PM
puddle of mudd

Drachen
08-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Rush.

You always see the usual suspects when someone talks about great classic rock...Hendrix, Zepplin, Pink Floyd, etc...but Rush rarely gets mentioned and certainly deserve it.

Really? I don't know many people who DON'T like Rush.

Ok, I guess I see what you are saying. People might call them a good band, but don't elevate them past that. Is that what you are getting at? I do, however, know that Neil Pert gets mentioned in greatest drummer conversations.

benefactor
08-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Idk if it's just me, but I never see Judas Priest geta lot of praise.
:tu

My brother was a serious Priest head when he was in high school. I had almost every song memorized(you get funny looks from teachers when singing Priest songs in a fourth grade classroom).

DisAsTerBot
08-05-2010, 12:15 PM
pre 2004 modest mouse. Lyrical genius.

benefactor
Really? I don't know many people who DON'T like Rush.

Ok, I guess I see what you are saying. People might call them a good band, but don't elevate them past that. Is that what you are getting at? I do, however, know that Neil Pert gets mentioned in greatest drummer conversations.
Yeah...it's less about people liking them and more about them being in the some conversation with other great classic rock bands. I think they deserve to be there.

CuckingFunt
The Stray Cats. They've kind of been remembered now as somewhat of a novelty act, which is unfortunate.

Bow Wow Wow. Known as a one-hit wonder (if known at all), but had a great sound.

The Sugarcubes. Bjork's solo stuff is great, but not many people remember she was in a band. A good band.

Viva Las Espuelas
08-05-2010, 12:18 PM
The Sugarcubes. Bjork's solo stuff is great, but not many people remember she was in a band. A good band. they were a good band. Pat mastelotto came out of there.

JamStone
08-05-2010, 12:31 PM
Thin Lizzy - one of the greatest bands that rarely gets their due.

The Funky Meters (sometimes just "The Meters") - one of the greatest collaborations of musical talent ever, imo. Buy a greatest hits album. "Cissy Strut" and "Sophisticated Cissy" and "6v6 La" and "Livewire" should be standard funk instrumentals. Some of the best music ever created and recorded.

Jane's Addiction - got some notoriety and airplay but didn't really get the hype and commercial success other alternative rock bands like Nirvana or Red Hot Chili Peppers got around the same time. Their most commercially successful songs, "Been Caught Stealing" and "Jane Says" are a couple of their more average pieces of work. "Then She Did" and "Classic Girl" and "Mountain Song" and "Summertime Rolls" are all much better songs that just didn't really appeal on the radio. Also did one of the best covers of a song I've heard when they put the Rolling Stones' "Sympathy for the Devil" on their XXX album. Their musicianship on both "Nothing Shocking" and "Ritual de lo Habitual" was nothing short of amazing, and Perry Farrell's weirdness did not hurt their musical collaboration yet.

Slightly Stoopid - often thought of as a Sublime wannabe dub rock band, I think they've put out some great, great music. Had a nice commercially friendly song in "Sweet Honey" and a popular song young ska guitarists love to learn in "Officer" but also had some really great melodic tunes like "Aint Got a lot of Money" and "Somebody" and "Mellow Mood." Edit: can't forget to mention the great smoker song "Fat Spliffs."

Ozomatli - I'll just stick with the first rendition/first album by Ozomatli, which is self titled. I was in a band in New Orleans and my guitarist told me to listen to them. Thought okay, cool. Sounded really good first time around. Then on Christmas break, I saw them on the Conan O'Brien show and they looked outrageous. Didn't expect to see them look like they did. That first album still featured Chali 2na and (DJ) Cut Chemist of Jurassic 5. My band was also a funk/rock/hip hop fusion band. Ozomatli was exactly what fusion music was supposed to be like. Great latin guitar rhythms, horns, eclectic percussion sounds, sampled in deejay cuts, and a topnotch emcee. If you never heard that first Ozomatli album, I feel sorry for you. It's about 10 years old now. But the music really stands up to the test of time. "Oh Le Le" and "Superbowl Sundae" and "Coming War" are a couple of the really great tracks on the album. And "Aqui No Sera" is a modern latin ballroom piece that is really sexy. Awesome, awesome music.

lebomb
08-05-2010, 12:32 PM
KC and the sunshine band

IronMexican
08-05-2010, 12:34 PM
I actually agree with lebomb. King Crimson is one of the greatest bands of all-time.

IronMexican
08-05-2010, 12:35 PM
rofl, I thought he meant King Crimson.

CuckingFunt
08-05-2010, 12:36 PM
I actually agree with lebomb. King Crimson is one of the greatest bands of all-time.

Pssst.

KC =/= King Crimson.

Viva Las Espuelas
08-05-2010, 12:37 PM
:lmao

And what a coincidence I brought up mastelotto.

JamStone
08-05-2010, 12:46 PM
I'm sure some of you know them, but for those who don't, this is Ozomatli:

OqEySbLq9no

Viva Las Espuelas
08-05-2010, 12:47 PM
Mars Volta

I think they're more niche. I don't see a big audience for them. I love delousing. Thats such a great record. They kinda got a little too over indulgent for me as they went on. I'm proud that they're from Texas though.

Spurminator
08-05-2010, 12:57 PM
The Jayhawks - Great alt-country band from the 90's and early 00's.

Ween - Better known for their early oddball material, they actually have a pretty stout catalog of good albums, including a bit more serious music in their later years.

Dexy's Midnight Runners - Better than the one-hit wonder tag they've been tagged with.

Mew - Three straight albums that have caught some attention among indie music listeners but they still haven't gotten the respect I think they deserve. They may be a little TOO prog for the Arcade Fire crowd.

Stephen Stills - A part of several great supergroups in the 60's and 70's and released a lot of good solo material too. Also a very underrated guitar player.

dimsah
08-05-2010, 01:16 PM
I won't say they are "Most underrated" or anything, however I really dig Faith No More, and I know many don't dig FNM so I would have to say they are underrated.

+1
They put out great album after great album and the height of their popularity was for the song "Epic" which was certainly not one of their best songs imo.

TE
08-05-2010, 01:19 PM
Black Light Burns, Dark New Day, Team Sleep (if you like instrumental)... to name a few

LnGrrrR
08-05-2010, 01:20 PM

Good call. I love Faith No More, even their weird stuff... which is mostly all of it... :lol

Angel Dust was a great album.

TE
08-05-2010, 01:22 PM
anyone ever heard the track by the name of Follow the sun down acoustic version by Dark New Day?

wow, that song is so damn good.

LnGrrrR
08-05-2010, 01:27 PM
Jam, I'll have to check Ozomatli out, I'm a big fan of Chali.

TE
08-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Nonpoint is another band that comes to mind (from relatively contemporary music)

eisfeld
08-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Mars Volta

Oh hell yeah. The Mars Volta is amazing :tu

Honorable Mentions:
- Theory of a Dead Man
- Ill Nino
- Sublime
- Live

TE
08-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Oh hell yeah. The Mars Volta is amazing :tu

Honorable Mentions:
- Theory of a Dead Man
- Ill Nino
- Sublime
- Live

Dude, these banda are well known and praised... So this list of yours can't be a part of this discussion, seriously.

koriwhat
08-05-2010, 01:33 PM

fuck yeah!

puddle of mudd

even after you hated on me earlier i swore i couldn't hate on dave fuckin' mustaine but for real? puddle of shit? wtf?!

eisfeld
08-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Dude, these banda are well known and praised... So this list of yours can't be a part of this discussion, seriously.

In the US probably... In Europe it's hard to even find anyone who knows those bands... and that's really really depressing.

dimsah
08-05-2010, 01:34 PM
I forgot to throw Prong in to the ring.

Great live band. Most people who ever watched headbangers ball when it was first on have heard Prong and might not even know it.

koriwhat
08-05-2010, 01:36 PM
Thin Lizzy
Jane's Addiction
Ozomatli

hell yeah!

Ween

fuck yeah! seen them twice now... wish i could attend their concert in austin this 22nd. i'm gonna miss out for sure!

Drachen
08-05-2010, 01:46 PM
In the US probably... In Europe it's hard to even find anyone who knows those bands... and that's really really depressing.

Re: Sublime

Go check the Overrated thread. That is where they are and where they should be. There is a reason why Europeans have never heard of them and I am jealous of Europeans. Every freakin kid who has ever even seen a picture of pot thinks that this band is god's gift.

koriwhat
08-05-2010, 01:50 PM

Go check the Overrated thread. That is where they are and where they should be. There is a reason why Europeans have never heard of them and I am jealous of Europeans. Every freakin kid who has ever even seen a picture of pot thinks that this band is god's gift.

haha! not this kid.

i could care less about sublime. at best they're a good white boy reggae cover band. i can't tell you how many fools i know think sublime came up with all their material when most was ripped off from some of my favorite reggae artists.

rx bandits kicks the shit out of sublime!

Drachen
08-05-2010, 01:53 PM
I know this isn't really the thread for them since we are mainly talking about bands that have "made it" but are underrated, but there is a band from Dallas which has been touring all over Texas since about 1999 called Mingo Fishtrap. Go see them the next time they come to town. They usually play at Sam's Burger Joint. If you like Funk, Soul, and just an all around fun band I absolutely guarantee you will thank me. I have been going to their shows since 2001 and every time I go see them, I realize that I have forgotten how good they are.

rjv
08-05-2010, 01:56 PM
didn't some of king crimson eventually become "asia" ? perhaps i am mistaken.

koriwhat
08-05-2010, 01:57 PM
I know this isn't really the thread for them since we are mainly talking about bands that have "made it" but are underrated, but there is a band from Dallas which has been touring all over Texas since about 1999 called Mingo Fishtrap. Go see them the next time they come to town. They usually play at Sam's Burger Joint. If you like Funk, Soul, and just an all around fun band I absolutely guarantee you will thank me. I have been going to their shows since 2001 and every time I go see them, I realize that I have forgotten how good they are.

i'll check them out when they pass through. thanks man!

koriwhat
08-05-2010, 01:58 PM
btw... rev horton heat and frank black solo with or without the catholics. oh and the red elvises.

Venti Quattro
08-05-2010, 01:58 PM
the red jumpsuit apparatus? lmao im kidding

Drachen
08-05-2010, 02:01 PM
i'll check them out when they pass through. thanks man!

They used to come about once a month, but they are touring more than Texas now so they come about once every three months.

I just looked it up. They are on an east coast tour right now, but they will be playing in fredericksburg on the 27th of august and in san antonio on the 28th.

IronMexican
08-05-2010, 02:05 PM
didn't some of king crimson eventually become "asia" ? perhaps i am mistaken.

?

Not that I know of.

They broke up shortly after Red and only original member(even today) is Robert Fripp. Also one of the few Prog bands to not sell out in the 80's.

redzero
08-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Primal Scream is underrated.

Brazil
08-05-2010, 02:15 PM
IMO the most underrated band ever is Fishbone !

honorable mentions for:
- System of a down (well known band but they have great pieces that should be more praised)
- Downset (in France I'm the only one to know them, one very good cd and then it's kind of shitty)
- Infectious Grooves (I don't know if it's because Trujillo and Muir are from Suicidal Tendencies and the band is just considered as a spin off but it's a great great band)

chreph
08-05-2010, 02:28 PM
As far as underrated goes, Sevendust has to be up there. They have such diverse albums and should be much more known than they are.

Also:

Cold - loyal following but not very well known.

Hurt - 3 great albums that can probably appeal to the mainstream the way Tool does but zero recognition.

Dredg - awesome music/lyrics and vocals are unique and not generic radio hit vocals.

Parabelle - still new... sort of (old Evans Blue singer). I think they are awesome. Put out a double CD independantly (on itunes, BTW) and they, too, have great diversity in their songs. Kevin Matisyn's vocals are great and he's got a sound that I think is one of the better ones out there right now.

JMarkJohns
08-05-2010, 02:29 PM
Dinosaur Jr.
Days Of The New
Placebo

Good call on Jane's Addiction, Jamstone. True Nature is one of the great Alt-Punk songs of the decade, but is very little known to those outside the scene.

Brazil
08-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Dinosaur Jr.
Days Of The New
Placebo

Good call on Jane's Addiction, Jamstone. True Nature is one of the great Alt-Punk songs of the decade, but is very little known to those outside the scene.

placebo underrated ?

silverbora
08-05-2010, 02:44 PM
Mew - Three straight albums that have caught some attention among indie music listeners but they still haven't gotten the respect I think they deserve. They may be a little TOO prog for the Arcade Fire crowd.

love mew

JMarkJohns
08-05-2010, 02:56 PM
placebo underrated ?

They had their day, but they aren't remembered fondly. Granted, their sound has changed so many times, this may contribute, but I've always thought they were great, and while popular, they never seemed to get much radio play, nor mentions in lists.

vy65
08-05-2010, 02:57 PM
GYBE and a silver mt. Zion

IronMexican
08-05-2010, 03:01 PM
Lift yr skinny fists sucks.

IronMaxipad
08-05-2010, 03:03 PM
Fugazi

vy65
08-05-2010, 03:05 PM
^ yah not really. Slow riot and f#a# are better but yanqui is their worst. Lysf is solid.

The Reckoning
08-05-2010, 03:13 PM

sublime overall isnt very good, but one song is the shit...caress me down. try making out with two girls at once with that song and you'll love it.

LnGrrrR
08-05-2010, 03:21 PM

They stopped having the Puro Slam (poetry slam) there, right? I used to love going to those.

LnGrrrR
08-05-2010, 03:22 PM
They're not underrated, but I think more people should listen to Cake and Jurassic 5.

mookie2001
08-05-2010, 03:32 PM
Reckoning you are the biggest laker fan

mookie2001
08-05-2010, 03:37 PM
a whole lotta bands

go down in it

flipper
exodus
testament
witchfinder general
earth crisis

and the bigger ones like sabbath and rush

Drachen
08-05-2010, 04:24 PM
sublime overall isnt very good, but one song is the shit...caress me down. try making out with two girls at once with that song and you'll love it.

LOL, I only like one song of theirs too, 40 oz to freedom. Plus, I am absolutely sure that I could find better music than that to do that to.

Drachen
08-05-2010, 04:25 PM
They stopped having the Puro Slam (poetry slam) there, right? I used to love going to those.

Dunno, never went to those.

JamStone
08-05-2010, 04:57 PM
I like Sublime. And I don't smoke pot to it when I listen to it. You have to take the music for what it is, mindless reggae rock. It's really just mood music. It's not about complex musical structure or the most profound lyrical value. It's just chill reggae rock. Sure a lot of melodies and guitar progressions are basically re-worked concepts from other reggae music. I don't think Bradley Nowell ever tried to pass himself as the Bob Marley of reggae rock. He was just making music he liked. And at any rate, 99% of music is stuff from other music, stolen intentionally or come up separately but sharing similarities. There are a finite number of chord progressions and melodies. Music's been around for thousands and thousands of years. There are going to be songs that sound alike.

For me, I know why Sublime is looked down upon by some. But I like their music.

LnGrrrR
08-05-2010, 05:06 PM
There are a finite number of chord progressions and melodies. Music's been around for thousands and thousands of years. There are going to be songs that sound alike.

That's why I'm coming up with a 14-note scale... Muahahahah

admiralsnackbar
08-05-2010, 05:19 PM
Guided By Voices -- I still don't understand how "Under the Bushes, Under the Stars" isn't rated among the best rock albums of the 90's.

Agree with rjv about Los Lobos. Really liked their Latin Playboys side-project.

I mentioned Talk Talk in another thread today. Even though they're mostly known as a haircut synth-pop band, they went on to basically create "postrock," in their later albums, while Tortoise and Radiohead got the credit and accolades after them.

koriwhat
08-05-2010, 05:32 PM
I like Sublime. And I don't smoke pot to it when I listen to it. You have to take the music for what it is, mindless reggae rock. It's really just mood music. It's not about complex musical structure or the most profound lyrical value. It's just chill reggae rock. Sure a lot of melodies and guitar progressions are basically re-worked concepts from other reggae music. I don't think Bradley Nowell ever tried to pass himself as the Bob Marley of reggae rock. He was just making music he liked. And at any rate, 99% of music is stuff from other music, stolen intentionally or come up separately but sharing similarities. There are a finite number of chord progressions and melodies. Music's been around for thousands and thousands of years. There are going to be songs that sound alike.

For me, I know why Sublime is looked down upon by some. But I like their music.

no you don't get it... they're a fuckin' cover band! plain and simple. some of my favorite roots reggae and dancehall is what they ripped off and i'm not just talking about melodies and the like, i am talking about singing the songs straight up and pressing vinyls.

they had a unique sound, i'll give them that but they were far from original. if they just took the beats that's one thing but they are nothing more than a cover band with possibly a few tracks of their own.

i don't mind listening to them though but i'm no avid fan of theirs. i'd rather listen to the original artists than some white dudes from cali.

JamStone
08-05-2010, 05:51 PM
Ok, but if I say I like their music, nothing you said changes my mind about that. I like listening to Sublime. If their music is original or not original, it sounds good to me. So, I don't know what your point is.

badfish22
08-05-2010, 05:59 PM
Jamstone vs. Koriwhat.

This is like prime Ali boxing Mr. Burns.

leemajors
08-05-2010, 07:03 PM
IMO the most underrated band ever is Fishbone !

honorable mentions for:
- System of a down (well known band but they have great pieces that should be more praised)
- Downset (in France I'm the only one to know them, one very good cd and then it's kind of shitty)
- Infectious Grooves (I don't know if it's because Trujillo and Muir are from Suicidal Tendencies and the band is just considered as a spin off but it's a great great band)

Truth and Soul is a really good album. I'll also agree with Jamstone about Thin Lizzy. Vagabaonds of the Western World and Jailbreak are classics. Anyone mentioned Screaming Trees yet?

Blackjack
08-05-2010, 07:29 PM
Ok, but if I say I like their music, nothing you said changes my mind about that. I like listening to Sublime. If their music is original or not original, it sounds good to me. So, I don't know what your point is.

:lol

Right in the middle of koriwhat's response this is basically exactly what entered my mind.

Funny how he started out with "no you don't get it..."

Blackjack
08-05-2010, 07:35 PM
testament

I'd concur. :tu

http://photo.sing365.com/music/picture.nsf/Testament-Souls-Of-Black-Cover/3265DD3F0655A4C548256CAE002947FD/$file/Souls.jpg

IronMaxipad
08-05-2010, 08:25 PM
no you don't get it... they're a fuckin' cover band! plain and simple. some of my favorite roots reggae and dancehall is what they ripped off and i'm not just talking about melodies and the like, i am talking about singing the songs straight up and pressing vinyls.

they had a unique sound, i'll give them that but they were far from original. if they just took the beats that's one thing but they are nothing more than a cover band with possibly a few tracks of their own.

i don't mind listening to them though but i'm no avid fan of theirs. i'd rather listen to the original artists than some white dudes from cali.

Bitch are you fucking retarded? Ofcourse their shit is gonna sound like old school reggae/dancehall/ska bands. Where the fuck do you think they got their influence from?

Most if not all Ska/reggae bands sound the fucking same. So don't give me that bs. I can say the same shit about any current ska/reggae/punk band.

I guess they're all just a bunch of cover bands, right?

Anyway.. RX Bandits are terrible and sublime is not underrated.

oh and can you give me a list of your favorite 'ROOTS REGGAE' artist? i can tell you right now that most of them 'ripped off' (or the proper term 'were influenced') from old school ska/rock steady bands.

If you want to get technical. Everyone 'ripped off' this fool:

http://www.bunnygoodison.com/images/laurel_aitken.jpg
Bow down to your God father bitch.

Last Comic Standing
08-05-2010, 08:33 PM
/thread

LjWGQvke8i4&feature

greyforest
08-05-2010, 08:35 PM
kraftwerk was pretty well-known

Sense
08-05-2010, 08:44 PM
Radiohead!! :D

JMarkJohns
08-05-2010, 10:52 PM
Local H

Dinamita
08-05-2010, 10:54 PM
Juanes
Mana
Los Bukis
Menudo

CuckingFunt
08-05-2010, 11:30 PM
They're not underrated, but I think more people should listen to Cake and Jurassic 5.

Agreed. Even though Cake's last couple albums have been a few notches below their best stuff.

I also second the Reverend Horton Heat mention.

koriwhat
08-05-2010, 11:36 PM
Bitch are you fucking retarded? Ofcourse their shit is gonna sound like old school reggae/dancehall/ska bands. Where the fuck do you think they got their influence from?

Most if not all Ska/reggae bands sound the fucking same. So don't give me that bs. I can say the same shit about any current ska/reggae/punk band.

I guess they're all just a bunch of cover bands, right?

Anyway.. RX Bandits are terrible and sublime is not underrated.

oh and can you give me a list of your favorite 'ROOTS REGGAE' artist? i can tell you right now that most of them 'ripped off' (or the proper term 'were influenced') from old school ska/rock steady bands.

If you want to get technical. Everyone 'ripped off' this fool:

http://www.bunnygoodison.com/images/laurel_aitken.jpg
Bow down to your God father bitch.

this is exactly the same jamstone was getting to which is exactly why i responded to him/her.

SUBLIME IS A COVER BAND! it's not that they don't have some original music, it's that most of their music is someone else's.

they've covered plenty of songs. what don't you get?

i'm not saying they suck, shit i've listen to them but i own nothing they've produced.

http://www.coversproject.com/artist/sublime/
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Sublime-614/Sublime-covers.htm

ignorance is bliss huh? just because i point something out doesn't mean i am trying to make fun of you or anything. such sensitivity here at ST over nothing.

CuckingFunt
08-05-2010, 11:40 PM
Incidentally, I would argue that Sublime is actually an underrated band. They're very well known, and well liked, but I don't think they've ever been given the credit they deserve for being good musicians (and the argument in this thread is evidence of that). A lot of bands have tried to do what Sublime did in mixing reggae, ska, and punk influences. A LOT. And most of them have sucked out loud.

Was any of what they did rocket science? No. But that doesn't mean they didn't do it incredibly well.

koriwhat
08-05-2010, 11:41 PM

wasn't trying to change your mind at all. listen to what you like, i'm not here to stop you from doing so.

Ignignokt
08-05-2010, 11:41 PM
So no one is surprised CuckingFunt's bands were either rockabilly punk or anything that stars with, THE ______?

CuckingFunt
08-05-2010, 11:44 PM
they've covered plenty of songs.

Name me a band/artist who hasn't. Just one.

CuckingFunt
08-05-2010, 11:45 PM
So no one is surprised CuckingFunt's bands were either rockabilly punk or anything that stars with, THE ______?

I doubt anyone else paid as much attention to my posts here as you apparently did.

koriwhat
08-05-2010, 11:48 PM

there's plenty of originality out there. niyorah. there's one for you.

redzero
08-05-2010, 11:49 PM

Merzbow... maybe.

midnightpulp
08-05-2010, 11:53 PM
Critically: Grand Funk Railroad.

Commercially: Small Faces. They were on par musically with the heavy hitters of the British Invasion, but never sold anywhere near the amount of records as their more famous counterparts.

IronMaxipad
08-05-2010, 11:55 PM
this is exactly the same jamstone was getting to which is exactly why i responded to him/her.

SUBLIME IS A COVER BAND! it's not that they don't have some original music, it's that most of their music is someone else's.

they've covered plenty of songs. what don't you get?

i'm not saying they suck, shit i've listen to them but i own nothing they've produced.

http://www.coversproject.com/artist/sublime/
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Sublime-614/Sublime-covers.htm

ignorance is bliss huh? just because i point something out doesn't mean i am trying to make fun of you or anything. such sensitivity here at ST over nothing.

You are an Idiot.

http://www.coversproject.com/artist/radiohead/
http://www.coversproject.com/artist/led%20zeppelin/

RADIOHEAD, Led Zeppelin Are nothing more then just COVERBANDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IronMaxipad
08-05-2010, 11:57 PM
And im still waiting for your "ROOTS REGGAE LIST"

CuckingFunt
08-05-2010, 11:58 PM
Pizzicato 5 and Cibo Matto just came to mind. They'd be on my underrated list.

koriwhat
08-05-2010, 11:59 PM
You are an Idiot.

RADIOHEAD, Led Zeppelin Are nothing more then just COVERBANDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

when the fuck did i bring up either of those bands? sure i've listened to them and still do from time to time but when did i say anything about them in this thread?

yall ask what's my point and when it slaps you in the face you still don't get it.... so what's your point?

your ignorance is blinding.

edit: btw, i just checked that radiohead link and if you're going to claim they are a cover band like sublime is then maybe you should also state the songs on that list come from non-commercial albums. bsides, tv spots, cameos on albums and etc don't count imo.

oh and i'm not a real fan of LZ so i could care less what they've done. i might hear one of their songs once in a blue moon. i can't even name you one of their songs to be honest.

CuckingFunt
08-06-2010, 12:06 AM
niyorah. there's one for you.

Merzbow... maybe.

I'm not familiar enough with either artist to know for sure, but I would find it hard to believe that they haven't covered a song or two somewhere along the line.

there's plenty of originality out there.

That wasn't the question, though. I don't think doing covers negates a band's originality. Especially when the covers make up only a portion of their catalog.

Neither do you, apparently, because during your "Sublime is nothing but a cover band" rant you mentioned that they had a unique sound.

redzero
08-06-2010, 12:07 AM
You are an Idiot.

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/3344/merzbow.jpg (http://img205.imageshack.us/i/merzbow.jpg/)

Looks like I might be right.

IronMaxipad
when the fuck did i bring up either of those bands? sure i've listened to them and still do from time to time but when did i say anything about them in this thread?

yall ask what's my point and when it slaps you in the face you still don't get it.... so what's your point?

your ignorance is blinding.

edit: btw, i just checked that radiohead link and if you're going to claim they are a cover band like sublime is then maybe you should also state the songs on that list come from non-commercial albums. bsides, tv spots, cameos on albums and etc don't count imo.

You are completely missing the point. Every band covers songs. That doesn't make them a 'JUST A COVER BAND'

and im still waiting for your lists...

koriwhat
And im still waiting for your "ROOTS REGGAE LIST"

are you part of the mavs crew cause it's starting to feel as if i have run into another one of them... hmm, i wonder?

IronMaxipad
08-06-2010, 12:08 AM
are you part of the mavs crew cause it's starting to feel as if i have run into another one of them... hmm, i wonder?

Why are you avoiding the question?

redzero
08-06-2010, 12:08 AM
I'm not familiar enough with either artist to know for sure, but I would find it hard to believe that they haven't covered a song or two somewhere along the line.

Merzbow is a talentless hack who records guitar feedback, adds distortion and releases it as an album every three months. If you heard his "music," you'd understand why I brought him up.

IronMaxipad
08-06-2010, 12:11 AM
He's probably on google searching for Roots Reggae artists...

CuckingFunt
08-06-2010, 12:11 AM
http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/3344/merzbow.jpg (http://img205.imageshack.us/i/merzbow.jpg/)

Looks like I might be right.

The fact that your screenshot includes the option to add a song would indicate that The Covers Project is a growing database reliant upon user submissions and, therefore, not a final/reliable authority on whether or not an artist has ever done a cover.

koriwhat
08-06-2010, 12:12 AM
You are completely missing the point. Every band covers songs. That doesn't make them a 'JUST A COVER BAND'

and im still waiting for your lists...

thing is if you go out of your way to studio produce an "original" album that is made up of more than 50% of songs not yours, then yes, you are a cover band.

sublime has a semi-original sound to them that many have tried to reproduce and have failed but many more have succeeded in doing so. pepper is one that comes to mind atm, not a band i care for but they definitely remind me of sublime's sound and they have a huge following. i am sure there's plenty out there. in SA i have heard quite a few local bands that sound exactly like that bradley dude and play the same.

btw, i'm not gonna give you a list of my favorite bands because that's besides the point. doesn't fuckin' matter.

koriwhat
08-06-2010, 12:14 AM
He's probably on google searching for Roots Reggae artists...

i could google 'til i die but i ain't going to. like i said, my list of favorites doesn't matter here.

again, what's your point? to see what i like, my tastes, or to keep ignoring the fact that although sublime was talented they also ripped a ton of people off and sold other people's music on their studio produced albums?

CuckingFunt
08-06-2010, 12:19 AM
thing is if you go out of your way to studio produce an "original" album that is made up of more than 50% of songs not yours, then yes, you are a cover band.

Here's their discography on allmusic.com: http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:jvfuxq8gldse~T2 (http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:jvfuxq8gldse%7ET2)

Since I apparently missed it during my own search, take a look at each album and point out the one(s) on which "more than 50%" of the songs don't list either Bradley Nowell or Sublime as the composer.

IronMaxipad
08-06-2010, 12:22 AM

sublime has a semi-original sound to them that many have tried to reproduce and have failed but many more have succeeded in doing so. pepper is one that comes to mind atm, not a band i care for but they definitely remind me of sublime's sound and they have a huge following. i am sure there's plenty out there. in SA i have heard quite a few local bands that sound exactly like that bradley dude and play the same.

btw, i'm not gonna give you a list of my favorite bands because that's besides the point. doesn't fuckin' matter.

None of sublime's studio albums have more than 50% covers. According to that site you posted 40 oz to freedom has the most covers on it. A whopping 3 out of 22 tracks are covers.

And doesn't the fact that other bands are trying to imitate SUBLIME's sound tell you something..

koriwhat
08-06-2010, 12:24 AM
None of sublime's studio albums have more than 50% covers. According to that site you posted 40 oz to freedom has the most covers on it. A whopping 3 out of 22 tracks are covers.

And doesn't the fact that other bands are trying to imitate SUBLIME's sound tell you something..

not necessarily their sound as much as it is bradley's voice.

JamStone
08-06-2010, 12:24 AM
wasn't trying to change your mind at all. listen to what you like, i'm not here to stop you from doing so.

You said I didn't get it. What didn't I get?

At any rate, Sublime covered songs. They also sampled songs, put their spin on parts of songs from riffs to baselines to vocal melodies, and they took pieces from different songs and put them together. It's not different from what mid to late 90s hip hop did when they'd sample tracks and parts of tracks and put their own spin on it. Thing is that is still doing original stuff.

And if you go look at each of their albums, Sublime didn't have over 50% covers, at least what you called covers where the song was 100% the same as the original. They didn't. That 50% is something you just made up. But even then, you yourself said they put their own unique sound to it, which also makes it original.

Back to my original point, I like listening to Sublime. Just because they didn't have the most originality when creating their music, it doesn't mean someone can't appreciate their music, which is what you come across as suggesting, or that somehow they're less of a band because of it. I personally think Bradley Nowell was a great musician and artist. And it wasn't just a "few tracks" that were original by them. Sure, they had a lot of influences and used those influences in their music. But they weren't merely a cover band. I think it's really simplifying and putting to an extreme what kind of band they were.

I'll say again, hey, if you're not a huge fan of them, cool. I think your thoughts on Sublime are quite a bit exaggerated.

I wonder if you think the Rolling Stones are a cover band too...

IronMaxipad
08-06-2010, 12:27 AM
I like how you completely ignored the first part.

CuckingFunt
08-06-2010, 12:31 AM
not necessarily their sound as much as it is bradley's voice.

And if Bradley Nowell's voice is a big part of their sound...

koriwhat
08-06-2010, 12:33 AM
I wonder if you think the Rolling Stones are a cover band too...

i'm not a stones fan but i can admit i haven't given them the time of day either. i've heard 2 songs at the most that i've liked.

IronMaxipad
08-06-2010, 12:37 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/DrForester/AbandonThread.gif

koriwhat
08-06-2010, 12:38 AM
^holy shit that's pretty cool

TE
08-06-2010, 12:38 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/DrForester/AbandonThread.gif

a bit of an exaggeration ehh?

The Gemini Method
08-06-2010, 12:56 AM
The National

midnightpulp
08-06-2010, 01:02 AM
The National

You have to be talking commercially, I assume?

They are a critic's wet dream.

The Gemini Method
08-06-2010, 01:06 AM
You have to be talking commercially, I assume?

They are a critic's wet dream.

I mean by the general populace...I know they're the indiefolk's darlings at the moment...

When you get Matt Beringer piss-in-the-bed drunk and he's still able to perform off of Aligator and Boxer, you have a musical group that performs with heart and a verve like they were in the 60s...

midnightpulp
08-06-2010, 01:07 AM
I mean by the general populace...I know they're the indiefolk's darlings at the moment...

When you get Matt Beringer piss-in-the-bed drunk and he's still able to perform off of Aligator and Boxer, you have a musical group that performs with heart and a verve like they were in the 60s...

redzero
08-06-2010, 01:26 AM
For what it's worth, I found a song that Merzbow covered--a Beatles song, of course.

But I wonder if there exists a band that has never been recorded covering somebody else's song.

The Gemini Method
08-06-2010, 01:30 AM
For what it's worth, I found a song that Merzbow covered--a Beatles song, of course.

But I wonder if there exists a band that has never been recorded covering somebody else's song.

Are we talking published a cover? I mean, I'd guess there are bands that have never released material covered, but it would probably be next to nil for bands that have never covered someone else live or something.

Winehole23
08-06-2010, 01:36 AM
didn't some of king crimson eventually become "asia" ? John Wetton.

midnightpulp
08-06-2010, 01:41 AM

Maybe some ambient/electronic artists like Biosphere, Autechre, etc?

Although many electronic artists remix other artist's work, so I wonder if you can consider that a kind of defacto cover.

Winehole23
08-06-2010, 02:37 AM
Underappreciated seems a better way to put it to me, and I've included a few solo artists, so here goes:

Terry Reid
The Grease Band
Rollins Band
The Bags(from Boston, MA)
John Fahey
Gong
Jerry Reed
The Waitresses
Bow Wow Wow (thanks for reminding me, CF)
Jackie Lomax
The Rhythm Pigs
Harry Nilsson (huge in the 1970's, underappreciated now)
Shawn Phillips
The Lafayette Afro Rock Band
Mission of Burma
Freddie King
Oingo Boingo
The Kinks
The Meters
Budgie

admiralsnackbar
08-06-2010, 11:51 AM
Underappreciated seems a better way to put it to me, and I've included a few solo artists, so here goes:

Terry Reid
The Grease Band
Rollins Band
The Bags(from Boston, MA)
John Fahey
Gong
Jerry Reed
The Waitresses
Bow Wow Wow (thanks for reminding me, CF)
Jackie Lomax
The Rhythm Pigs
Harry Nilsson (huge in the 1970's, underappreciated now)
Shawn Phillips
The Lafayette Afro Rock Band
Mission of Burma
Freddie King
Oingo Boingo
The Kinks
The Meters
Budgie

Good list -- especially the Kinks. You might also like The Left Banke and Emitt Rhodes.

Muser
08-06-2010, 11:55 AM
EXHnTKcjTL0

Killer song..

leemajors
08-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Frankie Miller

Winehole23
08-07-2010, 05:50 AM
Underrated albums:

Led Zep: Presence. (Underplayed, anyway.)
David Bowie: Lodger and Low.
The Kinks: Muswell Hillbillies

leemajors
08-07-2010, 10:55 AM
If we're going with Kinks, I'm throwing Roxy Music in there too.

CuckingFunt
08-07-2010, 01:37 PM
Elastica. Mazzy Star.

Spurminator
08-07-2010, 01:54 PM
B-52's - Wild Planet

JMarkJohns
08-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Mazzy Star.

Haven't thought of them in a long time, but I always liked 'em.

ALVAREZ6
08-07-2010, 03:42 PM
Slightly Stoopid - often thought of as a Sublime wannabe dub rock band, I think they've put out some great, great music. Had a nice commercially friendly song in "Sweet Honey" and a popular song young ska guitarists love to learn in "Officer" but also had some really great melodic tunes like "Aint Got a lot of Money" and "Somebody" and "Mellow Mood." Edit: can't forget to mention the great smoker song "Fat Spliffs."

Great band, I like their music much more than Sublime...honestly Sublime, to me, only has a few good songs and most of their music is just irritating and hard to listen to. Slightly Stoopid is way more mellow and easy to listen to, well constructed songs. They're similar in that they're a stoner band, but I enjoy their music a lot more than Sublime.

PublicOption
08-07-2010, 04:17 PM
IxuThNgl3YA&feature=av2e

CuckingFunt
08-07-2010, 04:38 PM
B-52's - Wild Planet

I almost mentioned The B-52s, but always have a hard time placing them in the underrated category. I think they're about as known as they ever will be, and their sound is niche enough that I don't think everyone will ever like them. But I certainly think they're underrated as musicians. Great, unique sound that's usually tossed aside as silly and weird.

And, yes, Wild Planet is a great album. "Strobe Light" is one of my very favorite songs.

Blackjack
08-07-2010, 04:44 PM
Down hasn't been mentioned in either overrated or underrated, which seems to suggest they must be rated pretty appropriately.

But I'd say if you were basing your opinion off of their first album "Nola," they'd be underrated. Has to be one of my all-time favorite albums -- love my metal and blues and they found a great mesh on that album.

Edit: And I failed to mention it, but Faith No More was the first band that came to mind when seeing this thread. I saw that they got mentioned right off the bat so I didn't bother mentioning.

They're someone I grow to appreciate and like more the further we get away from their heyday. Definitely ahead of their time, and Bill and Ted were as well, tbh.

admiralsnackbar
08-07-2010, 09:12 PM
For some reason the mention of Faith No More made me think of some other bands I really loved in my late teens that never got the love they deserved.

First on the list is Monster Magnet's first LP, "Spine of God." It was a funnier tongue-in-cheek parody/homage of seventies stoner metal than This is Spinal Tap, while at the same time being a legitimately kick-ass record. Their subsequent albums grew progressively more polished, unfunny, and mainstream butt-rock-y, but SOG was the shit.
Clutch, "Transnational Speedway League." First time I saw these guys live was at Liberty Lunch opening for Monster Magnet and everybody was looking around trying to understand why they suddenly wanted to beat the shit out of one another -- nobody had ever heard such viscerally confrontational music, I don't think.

Their singer looked like a cartoon mechanic growling out these incongruously literate, funny lyrics. Their drummer would subliminally sneak these tricky-ass off-time polyrhythms on top of his already rock-solid playing. No guitar solos, no conventional 90's "metal" playing like false harmonics or muted picking, just simple riffing, like if Johnny and Dee Dee Ramone grew up listening to Motorhead instead of Brill Building.

I kinda outgrew metal in college when I stopped being pissed all the time, but this was the last heavy band I hung on to because they kept growing from album to album and the lyrics were so fucking hilarious and surreal.

Unfortunately Clutch got lumped into the stoner rock category in the mid-nineties and never got taken at face value by a press that was trying so hard to pimp indie stuff like Pavement as the new grunge that they would kind of instantly dismiss anything with metal guitars as too, well... grunge.

koriwhat
08-08-2010, 02:22 AM
Down

used to be a fav or mine too as a teenager.

Spurminator
08-08-2010, 01:27 PM
I almost mentioned The B-52s, but always have a hard time placing them in the underrated category. I think they're about as known as they ever will be, and their sound is niche enough that I don't think everyone will ever like them. But I certainly think they're underrated as musicians. Great, unique sound that's usually tossed aside as silly and weird.

And, yes, Wild Planet is a great album. "Strobe Light" is one of my very favorite songs.

Yeah they're probably too much of a novelty act to be considered an underrated band. I think that album is underrated, though, given the success of their debut (critically) and Cosmic Thing (commercially).

Spurminator
08-08-2010, 01:28 PM
The Left Banke

circ
08-10-2010, 04:11 AM
Without a doubt Toad the Wet Sprocket is the only underrated band that comes to mind

and there is only one mazzy star song i've heard. post a good one somebody?

LnGrrrR
08-10-2010, 02:44 PM
I think that Michael Franti, especially his stuff with Spearhead, isn't heard by enough people. Not "underrated" per se, but just not as well-known as he should be.

quentin_compson
08-27-2010, 02:48 PM
Well, there are a lot of different definitions of "underrated", but anyway, I think that the Byrds are underrated.
Also, to name a more contemporary band, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - at least in Europe, don't know about the US.

mojorizen7
08-27-2010, 10:41 PM
Candlebox

Nathan Explosion
08-27-2010, 10:48 PM
The Beatles. Oh wait, I thought you said overrated bands.

Just fucking with you all. I grew up on the Beatles and love them immensely. Among popular music, I don't really hear anyone discussing Queens of the Stone Age. They just kick out great rock songs. I'd throw Foo Fighters in there, but I don't think they're severely underrated.

Imagine being Dave Grohl, drummer for the greatest band of the 90s and then lead singer for very good band that's one of the biggest in the world at the moment.

And of course, he did this too.

iRAKE4qVMP0

quentin_compson
08-28-2010, 05:56 AM
Also underrated in my opinion: Nada Surf. One of the best bands of the 2000s:

ZyZ11ZiVbo8&feature=related

And of course, Big Star are underrated:

pte3Jg-2Ax4