PDA

View Full Version : Unsung Knicks History – How Bruce Bowen Was Nearly a Knick

Blackjack
08-05-2010, 01:24 PM
Unsung Knicks History – How Bruce Bowen Was Nearly a Knick
by Brian Cronin

This is the first in a series (of indefinite length and regularity) of examinations into different games, events and decisions that impacted Knicks history in some way, shape or form. Stories that are not as famous as, say, LJ’s 4-point play or Willis Reed playing Game 7, but still have a place in Knicks history, especially for die-hard fans.

Today, we begin the series by showing how, for the want of a half-game, Bruce Bowen failed to become a New York Knick.

Bruce Bowen certainly had an interesting career in professional basketball. After graduating from California State University, Fullerton, where he played for four years, Bowen went undrafted in the 1993 NBA Draft. He then spent most of the next four seasons bouncing back and forth between Europe and the Continental Basketball Association (CBA). In 1997, he finally got his big break, getting signed to a 10-day contract by the Miami Heat. Bowen only played 1 game for the Heat that season, playing 1 minute and having 1 block.

Keep Reading (http://knickerblogger.net/2010/08/unsung-knicks-history-how-bruce-bowen-was-nearly-a-knick/)

suitedkings
08-05-2010, 02:06 PM
I blame God.

ohmwrecker
08-05-2010, 02:28 PM
Talk about dodging a bullet. Joining the Knicks might have ruined his career. They just seemed to collect SFs back then. I wonder if Larry Brown tipped Pop to Bowen.

SpurSpurSpurs
08-05-2010, 02:44 PM
where would san antonio’s legacy be without this piece!

http://bp1.blogger.com/_INBrALEFjqM/RnPbppS6bcI/AAAAAAAAATU/04QIGYtlfdE/s400/San_Antonio_Spurs_Champions.jpg

And yes... I did bother to read some comments on that article. :lmao

Cane
08-05-2010, 03:02 PM
where he would go on to make the All-NBA Defensive Team a remarkable seven years in a row, the last five being first team selections. From the start of the 2002-03 season until the end of the 2006-07 season, he started every Spurs regular season and playoff game as the Spurs went on to win three titles in those five years.

:worthy:

timvp
08-05-2010, 03:26 PM
He would then sign a big contract with the San Antonio Spurs for the 2001-02

The Spurs didn't give Bowen big money to join the team. He actually got a minimum contract to join the team. (IIRC, it was a two-year minimum deal with the second year a player option.) Other teams were offering more money (Blazers were one) but he decided to sign with the Spurs because the Spurs were the only ones saying he could be a starter. Pop went all out for him and made him an offseason priority. It turned out to be a great decision by Pop and Bowen.

The Spurs partly have Pat Riley to thank because after the Heat were swept in the 2001 playoffs, Riley basically blamed Bowen. He said Bowen was the worst SF in the league and pointed to his offensive numbers for proof. Pop wooed Bowen by saying he would start and that Pop believed that Bowen had a lot of potential on the offensive end as well.

EricB
08-05-2010, 03:35 PM
more proof why Pop running the offseasons as opposed to RC usually results in better results as well.

Blackjack
08-05-2010, 03:38 PM
He signed a 2-year, $1.5M contract (second year was player option) on July, 30 of '01. I was actually speaking to it the other day because we just passed the 9-year anniversary.

I noticed it too, I just thought it was a cool story. The leagues full of 'em but they're good reading during the offseason.

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-05-2010, 03:50 PM
It's certainly no coincidence that Bruce's five best years in the league resulted in 3 rings for the Spurs.

He's the biggest unsung hero of those 3 title runs. We really had a Big 4 on this team, Bruce just did his damage shutting down the other team's stars night after night. We haven't been the same team since he left.

SA210
08-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Should have gotten DPOY many times. Robbery.

Leonard Curse
08-05-2010, 04:46 PM
more proof why Pop running the offseasons as opposed to RC usually results in better results as well.

yeah i would say the same thing but this is a new pop a man who is bipolar in coaching and stubborn heused to admit he made mistakes all the time but he was so quick to learn from them now he makes the same mistake year after year and his priorities regarding the team are so ass backwards is comical

bus driver
08-05-2010, 04:58 PM
where he would go on to make the All-NBA Defensive Team a remarkable seven years in a row, the last five being first team selections. From the start of the 2002-03 season until the end of the 2006-07 season, he started every Spurs regular season and playoff game as the Spurs went on to win three titles in those five years.

:worthy:

:toast to 12

Should have gotten DPOY many times. Robbery.

TRUE

Danny.Zhu
08-05-2010, 08:59 PM
http://bp1.blogger.com/_INBrALEFjqM/RnPbppS6bcI/AAAAAAAAATU/04QIGYtlfdE/s400/San_Antonio_Spurs_Champions.jpg

And yes... I did bother to read some comments on that article. :lmao

:lmao

G-Dawgg
08-05-2010, 11:45 PM
i can't understand how he went from best defensive player in the NBA to totally worthless in one season. I honestly think even at his age he had alot more left in the tank when he was traded....

Amuseddaysleeper
08-06-2010, 12:59 AM
If Bruce Bowen came back this very minute to the Spurs, despite the shape he'd be in, he'd still be the best perimeter defender on the Spurs.

Blackjack
08-06-2010, 01:05 AM
If Bruce Bowen came back this very minute to the Spurs, despite the shape he'd be in, he'd still be the best perimeter defender on the Spurs.

He was still the best they had when he left, and as unfortunate as it is to say, I can't say you're way off base.

I completely agree with EHJ. It really was a Big 4. I'm not sure there's ever been a player like Bruce that was both so invaluable and appreciated as a role player, yet was still somehow able to be taken for granted.

Love that guy (a little homo).

BruceBowenFan
08-06-2010, 01:19 AM
Gotta love bowen, thats why im a fan of him.

tp2021
08-06-2010, 02:53 AM
Love that guy (a little homo).

It should be the case for all male Spurs fans

will_spurs
08-06-2010, 06:08 AM
That was a good and entertaining read, and I just love how much bad karma the Knicks have... taking the lead against the Heat in season record for a mere couple of days, just enough to lose out on a FA signing.

Spur_Fanatic
08-06-2010, 02:21 PM
Who here remembers we almost traded Manu for Sprewell back in, I think, 2004?
Spurs were quite close to make it happen (till the fanbase heard about it).

Ginobili2Duncan
08-06-2010, 09:16 PM
Who here remembers we almost traded Manu for Sprewell back in, I think, 2004?
Spurs were quite close to make it happen (till the fanbase heard about it).

That would have been a disaster.

timtonymanu
08-06-2010, 09:25 PM
This will turn into a Bring Back Bruce thread.

Awesome read.

Bruce and the Spurs were a perfect fit. He helped this team win titles and they helped him make a name for himself.

Seeing Ime, Keith, RJ try to play Bruce's role is very laughable. I still miss this guy as evident in my avatar.

Cheers #12!!! :toast

ElNono
08-06-2010, 10:31 PM
Cool story, bro... (and I mean it) :tu