PDA

View Full Version : Roger Mason signs with the Knicks.

EricB
08-05-2010, 03:31 PM
FisolaNYDN (https://twitter.com/FisolaNYDN)
Knicks to sign Roger Mason for one-year, $1.4 million contract. Knicks refused to give up future No. 1 pick to land Rudy Fernandez

ducks
08-05-2010, 03:32 PM
mason will suck
their is to much pressure their for him to perform well

now the clippers on the other hand

TDMVPDPOY
08-05-2010, 03:32 PM
knicks also lookin at dealing curry, they want that scrub jared jeffries back

Mal
08-05-2010, 03:35 PM
This is so amazing, that Knicks still could deal Eddie Curry

ceperez
08-05-2010, 03:38 PM
One gone, one more to go.

Fingers crossed the Bogans signs elsewhere.

timvp
08-05-2010, 03:38 PM
Good choice by RMJ. If he can find his stroke again, he could put up nice stats for D'Antoni.

Good luck.

lefty
08-05-2010, 03:54 PM
Good choice for RMJ

Mikey wont play him as a backup PG

His confidence and his shot should be back

jason1301
08-05-2010, 04:22 PM
D'Antoni's system fits him well, good choice.

Leonard Curse
08-05-2010, 04:36 PM
yeah i wish him the best, pop really has lost his mind playing that dude at pg was stupid

TheBigFundamental
08-05-2010, 04:41 PM
Thanks for and 1 vs Lakers and 3pointer vs Suns... and goodbye:king

chrisrod2008
08-05-2010, 04:48 PM
He will get what he has been wanting and that is Playing Time and some hip slapping.

baseline bum
08-05-2010, 04:52 PM
Good luck to Roger. I'm happy to see him in a system where he might have a good chance to regain his 2008-09 form.

DPG21920
08-05-2010, 04:56 PM
I hope Roger does well. Best case scenario for him. I can't believe the Knicks are scoffing giving up a future first rounder for Rudy :lol. When did they start caring about that? Rudy would have been a nice piece in that system.

bus driver
08-05-2010, 05:00 PM
:danceclub:huddle:

YES....i dont care where he goes just as long as it is not on the spurs bench.

SpurCharger
08-05-2010, 05:00 PM
Bye Roger..... Not Like The knicks Play any Defense... But There defense just Got worse!

SequSpur
08-05-2010, 05:03 PM
RMJr! Fuck Pop.... Good Luck in NY...

TD 21
08-05-2010, 05:37 PM
Mason had to have been the Lakers backup plan if the Brown deal fell through (of course, it didn't, because that would have meant the Lakers wouldn't have got their way on something).

ohmwrecker
08-05-2010, 05:41 PM
Good luck, Mase. It will be cool to see the Knicks finally improve this year.

ace3g
08-05-2010, 05:44 PM
MoneyMase

Im headed to the BIG APPLE!!!!! With a BIG CHIP on my shoulder!!!!!! LETGO!!!!!!!!!!!!Knicks Fans!!!!!!!

DesignatedT
08-05-2010, 05:45 PM
Lol. bum.

EricB
08-05-2010, 05:58 PM
Good choice for RMJ

Mikey wont play him as a backup PG

His confidence and his shot should be back

No more defending Montreal in American poll threads to troll?

Libri
08-05-2010, 06:08 PM
Hit some big shots in his first season with SA but absolutely sucked after that. He's a good guy though.

Spursfan092120
08-05-2010, 06:18 PM
Thanks for and 1 vs Lakers and 3pointer vs Suns... and goodbye:king
Don't forget Boston

82FPnb1C2yc

DPG21920
08-05-2010, 06:21 PM
Mason had a sick first year until the playoffs. After that, he was never the same. He is a good dude though, so I really want him to do well.

Trill Clinton
08-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Good luck Rog!!!:downspin:

Texas_Ranger
08-05-2010, 06:24 PM
good luck. :D

chazley
08-05-2010, 06:26 PM
GREAT deal for the Knicks.

will_spurs
08-05-2010, 06:37 PM
Seriously, good for him.

slick'81
08-05-2010, 06:40 PM
nothing like going to a team that gives a flying fuck about d and loves volume shooters gl roger

Biernutz
08-05-2010, 07:08 PM
Best wishes Roger. Even though it didn't work out I still think Roger is a good guy.

timtonymanu
08-05-2010, 07:10 PM
Perfect fit for Mason. Good luck.

ElNono
08-05-2010, 07:10 PM
I'm glad he found a way to stay in the league. Maybe he can use this year to revalidate himself and make up for lost ground.

TIMMYD!
08-05-2010, 07:12 PM
Yeah, perfect fit, all he has to do is shoot it. GL.

ceperez
08-05-2010, 07:18 PM
i like the fact that Mason could find a way to make a shot by working the pick and roll.

he started the season with a lot of promising by losing a lot of pounds.

unfortunately the change affected his shot and he lost a lot of confidence.

add the fact that Bogans ate a lot of playing time.

well he was a class act, so he deserves the best of luck in his new team.

DesignatedT
08-05-2010, 07:21 PM
Besides him requesting a trade he was an alright spur. Can't believe people are still making excuses on behalf of this guy though. Dude had every opportunity to the world and couldn't capitalize. Nobody's fault but himself.

ace3g
08-05-2010, 08:15 PM
MoneyMase

I Will Always Have Love For Spurs fans! Thank you for the support the last 2 years!! You guys were the best!

Dex
08-05-2010, 08:18 PM
Aren't Mason and Tony friends? :stirpot:

Seriously, good luck to Mason in NY with Pushups. Hopefully he can have a bounce-back season.

angelbelow
08-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Good luck to mase. I was hoping he would land a pay day, maybe 3 mill or so, something similar to his deal with the spurs because I doubt hes going to resurface as a player.

SenorSpur
08-05-2010, 08:46 PM
Looks like Roger's shooting slump cost him some dollars.

We hardly got to know his stroke, before it left him for good last year.

However, glad he found a place to land. Best wishes to him.

Chomag
08-05-2010, 08:57 PM
Good guy, it just didn't work out with the Spurs. I wiah him the best of luck to Mason, I hope he exels more in New York.

silverblackfan
08-05-2010, 09:03 PM
Good luck to him. That clip of him against Boston looked a hell of a lot more relaxed than I remember this year. Hopefully he gets his shot and confidence back in NY. Always seemed to be a classy guy.

Supergirl
08-05-2010, 09:36 PM
D'Antoni's system of all offense, no D could be good for him. Could loosen up his shot again. Anyway, glad he's not coming back for the Spurs. It obviously wasn't a good fit, though I had hoped it would be.

pawe
08-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Goodluck RMJ! Dont light us up when the Spurs visit NY.

bigfan
08-05-2010, 11:02 PM
Good luck to the guy, he was a class act and Im sure this change will be good for him.

Sean Cagney
08-05-2010, 11:15 PM
Mason had a sick first year until the playoffs. After that, he was never the same. He is a good dude though, so I really want him to do well.

Yeah I loved this dude here until those playoffs! He hit so many big shots and it just seemed like he fit so well, then the floor fell out from beneath him :( He just stopped hitting any shots and just fell off the map since March 09.

crc21209
08-05-2010, 11:27 PM
good choice by rmj. If he can find his stroke again, he could put up nice stats for d'antoni.

Good luck.

+1.

dallaskd
08-05-2010, 11:31 PM
Bad news for the Mavs.

lefty
08-05-2010, 11:51 PM
No more defending Montreal in American poll threads to troll?
lol weak

Truth4sale$
08-05-2010, 11:56 PM
Amazing so many people are critical of a guy who played through an injured shooting hand and was expected to learn how to play the point guard position for a bizarre offensive system.

Thompson
08-06-2010, 12:17 AM
I hope he plays well there, both for his sake and for ours; I think the Rockets have a couple of the Knicks' 1st rounders (1 outright and 1 they can swap for their own) over the next couple of years.

chazley
08-06-2010, 12:56 AM
Amazing so many people are critical of a guy who played through an injured shooting hand and was expected to learn how to play the point guard position for a bizarre offensive system.

Where were you a month ago...

DesignatedT
08-06-2010, 01:06 AM

He wasn't asked to play point guard last season. It was a brief stunt in 08 when pop experimented with that which all the mason nut huggers keep reaching to for an excuse. Injured hand? Sure, I'll give him that but he wasn't shooting well before he had the injury anyway. Thank god he's gone IMO. He brings nothing to the table. He is a good guy though so I hope he does well.

stéphane
08-06-2010, 01:08 AM
Smart move for RMJ. If he can find his long range touch back that is.

timtonymanu
08-06-2010, 01:25 AM
He wasn't asked to play point guard last season. It was a brief stunt in 08 when pop experimented with that which all the mason nut huggers keep reaching to for an excuse. Injured hand? Sure, I'll give him that but he wasn't shooting well before he had the injury anyway. Thank god he's gone IMO. He brings nothing to the table. He is a good guy though so I hope he does well.

I kept defending Mason up until the Cleveland game last year where LeBron wasnt playing. Mason was like 0-10 that game. It was clear that Mason just isnt that good.

However, he's still a good guy. I cant deny that he was my favorite player at one point. I wish him the best of luck and hope he gets some gamewinners for the Knicks, not against the Spurs though.

Cant_Be_Faded
08-06-2010, 01:27 AM
Lots of luck to him. It's a shame how quickly his star burnt out, but he did his job here and it was time to move on.

will_spurs
08-06-2010, 03:40 AM
Looks like Roger's shooting slump cost him some dollars.

Look at it this way: it's the same contract as Shaq...

And it being only one year, if he gets out of shooting slump and puts up the number we can expect in d'Antoni system, he could cash in big later on for the last few years of his NBA career.

senorglory
08-06-2010, 03:52 AM
Great opportunity for Mason, if he can pull it together again.

InK
08-06-2010, 03:56 AM
A nice farewell thread. Bye Roger, and good luck.

BG_Spurs_Fan
08-06-2010, 04:09 AM
Good luck to Roger.

Hope he finds his shot in D'Antoni's system. That might earn him a nice long term deal by some incredibly stupid team next summer.

Russo21
08-06-2010, 04:53 AM
Good luck Roger. Thanks for the Big Shots :-)

ChuckD
08-06-2010, 07:16 AM
I hope Roger does well. Best case scenario for him. I can't believe the Knicks are scoffing giving up a future first rounder for Rudy :lol. When did they start caring about that? Rudy would have been a nice piece in that system.

Maybe since they only landed one FA instead of two, and their 4th choice at that, who's balky knee could go out at any time, or who's retina could do the same and end his career. They also need to build around him, and I believe their first available first rounder is now in 2012.

TJastal
08-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Good luck to Roger.

Hope he finds his shot in D'Antoni's system. That might earn him a nice long term deal by some incredibly stupid team next summer.

Kind of like Jefferson @ 4yr/40m? Oh wait, nothing could be that stupid...

lefty
08-06-2010, 10:52 AM
Good luck to him. That clip of him against Boston looked a hell of a lot more relaxed than I remember this year. Hopefully he gets his shot and confidence back in NY. Always seemed to be a classy guy.
Exactly

He is a SG; Pop just ruined his confidence by playing him backup PG :bang

benefactor
08-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Phoenix on Christmas Day...good times.

Good luck RMJ.

quentin_compson
08-06-2010, 01:27 PM
I'll have to admit I'm glad he is not returning to the Spurs. But I think he might get along well in NY and I wish him nothing but the best.

By the way, I haven't been paying attention the last couple of days, so: Is Michael Finley still a FA? I will be fearing he gets resigned by the Spurs until he is off the market.

Baseline
08-06-2010, 03:45 PM
Pop destroyed the guy. It's as simple as that.

Trying to make Mason into a point guard is the same thing as making Tony Parker a spot-up shooter, or Matt Bonner a defensive stopper.

So Pop's genius experiment torpedoed the only thing Mason can do - make shots.

ceperez
08-06-2010, 07:07 PM
One gone, one more to go.

Fingers crossed the Bogans signs elsewhere.

Great news! Bogans signs with the Bulls!

I'm glad he's gone... his disproportionate playing time caused

1. Finley to quit mid season.
2. Hairston to never prove himself
3. Mason to loose confidence.

mattyc
08-07-2010, 08:15 AM
Good luck to him, but his time in SA was certainly over. It all went a bit downhill very quickly...

spursncowboys
08-07-2010, 08:49 AM
exactly

he is a sg; pop just ruined his confidence by playing him backup pg :bang

quentin_compson
08-07-2010, 09:48 AM

Nah, Roger had a lot of opportunities to redeem himself after that failed PG experiment. If you are screwed up for that long after having to play a couple of minutes per game on a position you don't feel comfortable playing, you are not mentally strong enough for this league.

weebo
08-07-2010, 11:13 AM
who cares the guy sucks.

DesignatedT
08-07-2010, 12:30 PM
who cares the guy sucks.

sammy
08-09-2010, 09:35 PM
Good luck RMJ! Hope everything goes well in NY!:toast

sammy
08-09-2010, 09:36 PM

Trying to make Mason into a point guard is the same thing as making Tony Parker a spot-up shooter, or Matt Bonner a defensive stopper.

So Pop's genius experiment torpedoed the only thing Mason can do - make shots.

Agreed!

chazley
08-09-2010, 10:09 PM

I don't know if you watched the Spurs this season, but at points he was ONLY getting minutes as a backup PG. Also, the 'brief' stint in 08-09 was basically from January-playoffs, where he played combo guard.

Try shooting with both a healthy hand and a broken wrist on your shooting hand.. tell me which is easier.

Roger will, once again, become a free agent bargain next year, and I would not be surprised if he's getting 20 MPG on that Bulls team and putting up great 3-pt percentages.

I doubt after Christmas '08 you were as low as Mason as you are now. He still has it in him if he plays zero minutes as a PG.

Andy25
08-09-2010, 10:12 PM
Now I gotta change my icon and signature. Fucking A.

TIMMYD!
08-09-2010, 10:48 PM
Now I gotta change my icon and signature. Fucking A.

I think you should have changed that like 3 months into last season.

fantasyfootball
08-10-2010, 01:33 AM
Roger Mason signs with the Knicks. (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160358)

Every time I glance at this title I read "Roger Mason sucks" + other words.

superbigtime
08-10-2010, 10:20 AM
I don't get Mason. Seemed to come from solid stock, a well spoken son of a doctor who worked for what he had. Playing extensive minutes with AD when agent 0 went down in Washington, he makes a name for himself and spurs landed the bargain free agent signing a couple years ago. He then had a great regular season until the brilliant Pop totally fucks with his game. He totally falls apart, but I must say Pop gave him many many way too many opportunities to redeem his game. I think he turned malcontented and inconfident. I still can't believe the Spurs favored Mason over Finley, eventually leading to Fin's departure and for what? ... Mason's backup PG game?

Either Mase fooled everyone and wasn't the guy we all thought he was because of some choice end of game buckets his first year with the Spurs, or he actually is a damn good shooter whose inept coaches ruined his game and who also got bitten by the injury bug at a most inopportune time, thereby further eroding his fragile confidence. Either way the Spurs got had. At least he wasn't an expensive 2 year deal.

After the inexplicable multi-year Bonner deal and overpaying for RJ and letting athletic 7 footer Mahinmi sign with rival Mavs for next to nothing even though Spurs have a size need, signing Mason to any sort of deal would have made Spurs brass look incredibly bad in my eyes.

Good riddance Mase.

rogcl1
08-10-2010, 10:35 AM
I don't get Mason. Seemed to come from solid stock, a well spoken son of a doctor who worked for what he had. Playing extensive minutes with AD when agent 0 went down in Washington, he makes a name for himself and spurs landed the bargain free agent signing a couple years ago. He then had a great regular season until the brilliant Pop totally fucks with his game. He totally falls apart, but I must say Pop gave him many many way too many opportunities to redeem his game. I think he turned malcontented and inconfident. I still can't believe the Spurs favored Mason over Finley, eventually leading to Fin's departure and for what? ... Mason's backup PG game?

Either Mase fooled everyone and wasn't the guy we all thought he was because of some choice end of game buckets his first year with the Spurs, or he actually is a damn good shooter whose inept coaches ruined his game and who also got bitten by the injury bug at a most inopportune time, thereby further eroding his fragile confidence. Either way the Spurs got had. At least he wasn't an expensive 2 year deal.

After the inexplicable multi-year Bonner deal and overpaying for RJ and letting athletic 7 footer Mahinmi sign with rival Mavs for next to nothing even though Spurs have a size need, signing Mason to any sort of deal would have made Spurs brass look incredibly bad in my eyes.

Good riddance Mase.

I believe if you go back ,Mason's shooting had fallen off before the point guard experiment started.Once teams started applying defensive pressure to him I think he always heard footsteps and never got over it. Finley's departure was long overdue no matter what else was going on.

superbigtime
08-10-2010, 10:53 AM
Mason's shooting remained streaky thru his tenure with the Spurs, but he eventually became ice cold and remained that way except for a couple of double digit games last year. Finley's departure to Boston was because he was getting so little PT behind Mason as well as Bogans. Finley indeed had little to offer but he could still shoot better than Mase and could have given the Spurs at least something. His D was similarly crummy to Mason's but Finley contributed timely and valuable shots his entire tenure with the Spurs, something Mason was definitely not able to do. Fin did way more for the org. than Mason. I agree though his departure was indeed overdue and I definitely don't want to see him in silver and black again, although I appreciate what he did for the Spurs.

cantthinkofanything
08-10-2010, 10:58 AM
I'm glad he's gone but I certainly don't wish Mason any ill will. He seemed like a pretty good guy that should have perfectly fit into the Spurs system.

But I think he sold himself the idea that he was only a three point shooter. The whole gun thing with him slapping his thigh always bugged the shit out of me. How many times did he get the ball inside the arc and then dribble outside to launch a three. Before he started sucking, he had a pretty good inbetween game and was very accurate on mid range jumpers. Ahh. I forget my point. But at some point, he was a decent basketball player. I'd still rather have him than Bonner. I think Mason's suckiness can be fixed.