PDA

View Full Version : James Madison: “What Part Of Few And Defined Don’t You Get?”

Galileo
08-05-2010, 03:49 PM
James Madison: “What Part Of Few And Defined Don’t You Get?”

"The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite."

James Madison, Federalist No 45

The Founding Fathers were exquisite writers that left nothing to interpretation. Consider the balance of Madison’s passage from Federalist no. 45:

"The former will be exercised principally on external objects, as war, peace, negotiation, and foreign commerce; with which last the power of taxation will, for the most part, be connected. The powers reserved to the several States will extend to all the objects which, in the ordinary course of affairs, concern the lives, liberties, and properties of the people, and the internal order, improvement, and prosperity of the State."

If James Madison were alive today, he would be asking “what part of few and defined don’t you get?”

http://motorcitytimes.com/mct/2010/07/james-madison-what-part-of-few-and-defined-dont-you-get/comment-page-0/

boutons_deux
08-05-2010, 04:40 PM
"promote the general welfare" is VERY INDEFINITE.

Federalist Papers, like Dec of Ind, aren't laws.

Galileo
08-05-2010, 04:58 PM

The Federalist Papers should be officially added to the Constitution as an amendment.

The general welfare clause was orginally in the Articles of Confederation.

boutons_deux
08-05-2010, 07:54 PM
wishful thinking will make it so.

Wild Cobra
08-05-2010, 08:56 PM

Tell me, what is your definition of the "General Welfare?"

101A
08-06-2010, 11:02 AM

I'm doubting the preamble was considered "law" at the time. The articles and amendments define SPECIFIC powers and responsibilities; "promote the general welfare" would sound good in a Saturday morning jingle.

The New Deal SC essentially wiped away all limits on Federal power by allowing voters, and not the judiciary, to define what was, and was not, commerce (allowing the commerce clause to let the camels nose under the tent) - thus we have a tyranny of the majority in this country. Individual rights (especially property rights) exist only so far as 51% of the population at any given time allow them to. That that is somehow seen as just is insane.

Marcus Bryant
08-06-2010, 11:22 AM
The New Deal SC essentially wiped away all limits on Federal power by allowing voters, and not the judiciary, to define what was, and was not, commerce (allowing the commerce clause to let the camels nose under the tent) - thus we have a tyranny of the majority in this country. Individual rights (especially property rights) exist only so far as 51% of the population at any given time allow them to. That that is somehow seen as just is insane.

:tu

Parker2112
08-06-2010, 11:40 AM
I'm doubting the preamble was considered "law" at the time. The articles and amendments define SPECIFIC powers and responsibilities; "promote the general welfare" would sound good in a Saturday morning jingle.

Since when do the majority of the people wield any power in this country? As of late, how much does the will of the majority stand for?

Hell, the majority of people cant even decide who gets elected to the presidency :lol

Wild Cobra
08-06-2010, 12:51 PM
The Federalist Papers should be officially added to the Constitution as an amendment.

The general welfare clause was orginally in the Articles of Confederation.
The general welfare is part of the constitution, unless you don't consider the preamble part of it.

Wild Cobra
08-06-2010, 12:53 PM

The preamble is an important part of interpreting the constitution. However, like I said earlier, "general welfare" has a different meaning than libtards want to believe it does.

101A
08-06-2010, 01:55 PM
Since when do the majority of the people wield any power in this country? As of late, how much does the will of the majority stand for?

Hell, the majority of people cant even decide who gets elected to the presidency :lol

The elected representatives in this country have power - they maintain that power by convincing 51% of a given constituency to reelect them every 2 4 or 6 years. If, as you suggest, those representatives are reelected despite the fact that they are not behaving as a majority would have them behave, well, then, we're even more screwed. Unchecked Tyranny, essentially.

Wild Cobra
08-06-2010, 02:07 PM
The elected representatives in this country have power - they maintain that power by convincing 51% of a given constituency to reelect them every 2 4 or 6 years. If, as you suggest, those representatives are reelected despite the fact that they are not behaving as a majority would have them behave, well, then, we're even more screwed. Unchecked Tyranny, essentially.
And they have to buy most those 51+% votes by promising redistribution of the money the rest of us pay in taxes.

MiamiHeat
08-06-2010, 02:37 PM
And they have to buy most those 51+% votes by promising redistribution of the money the rest of us pay in taxes.

If you are a white american with longtime roots in this land, then you should not even open your mouth.

Slavery built this country's economy. Never in the history of the earth has a country sprouted overnight and become a world power in less than 100 years.

Black americans were forbidden to learn how to read. They had no access to well paying jobs or opportunities to higher education until around the 1960's.

This means that the majority of black families had no choice but to be POOR until then. No family money, no inheritance, no intelligent parents to raise their children, etc and etc.

Yeah, they deserve the help to repair the damage from the very people who disenfranchised them, american citizens.

Wild Cobra
08-06-2010, 02:40 PM
If you are a white american with longtime roots in this land, then you should not even open your mouth.

Slavery built this country's economy. Never in the history of the earth has a country sprouted overnight and become a world power in less than 100 years.

Black americans were forbidden to learn how to read. They had no access to well paying jobs or opportunities to higher education until around the 1960's.

This means that the majority of black families had no choice but to be POOR until then. No family money, no inheritance, no intelligent parents to raise their children, etc and etc.

Yeah, they deserve the help to repair the damage from the very people who disenfranchised them, american citizens.
If you wish to live in the past, don't expect to succeed in life.

Just because I am white, should I be penalized for the sins of this nation, even though most my immigrant forefathers didn't come her till after the civil war?

MiamiHeat
08-06-2010, 04:38 PM
If you wish to live in the past, don't expect to succeed in life.

Just because I am white, should I be penalized for the sins of this nation, even though most my immigrant forefathers didn't come her till after the civil war?

How is the federal government penalizing you?

Galileo
08-06-2010, 04:51 PM

ignorant comment. The Industrial Revolution started in the North as soon as the slaves were freed, around 1815.

In the South, it was a backwater for a 100 years, with slavery and then Jim Crow.

MiamiHeat
08-06-2010, 05:24 PM
ignorant comment. The Industrial Revolution started in the North as soon as the slaves were freed, around 1815.

In the South, it was a backwater for a 100 years, with slavery and then Jim Crow.

the south was a backwater?

the north wasn't also built from slavery?

the north didn't massively profit from slavery?

Galileo
08-07-2010, 12:14 PM
the south was a backwater?

the north wasn't also built from slavery?

the north didn't massively profit from slavery?

Most of the wealth growth in the North was after the slaves were freed. The South remained a backwater. In fact it is the fault of the slaves that economic growth was retarded. The slaves should have organized and broken free.

ChumpDumper
08-07-2010, 01:51 PM
Rolf is blaming slaves for slavery.

boutons_deux
08-07-2010, 02:14 PM
"Industrial Revolution started in the North as soon as the slaves were freed, around 1815."

do you mean freeing slaves caused in the industrial revolution? :lol

The north industrialized with coal/steam/machine power and manufacturing with whale oil then petroleum, while the South remained mostly agricultural.

Wild Cobra
08-07-2010, 04:17 PM
Are you saying this doesn't apply to me:

boutons_deux
08-07-2010, 04:19 PM
WC, are you against helping just blacks, or also against helping all the poor whites living in trailers and shacks in the Oregon woods?

Wild Cobra
08-07-2010, 04:20 PM

Some years ago, I head a radio interview with a man with a unique perspective. He blames the Civil Rights act of damaging the growing wealth of many blacks then. You see, since America was divided, many blacks had their own businesses and industries that were thriving, until integration.

Wild Cobra
08-07-2010, 04:26 PM
High taxes that will go up another 3% in January. Isn't it enough that I pay over $20,000 a year in state and federal taxes, SS, and Medicare combined already?

Wild Cobra
08-07-2010, 04:28 PM
WC, are you against helping just blacks, or also against helping all the poor whites living in trailers and shacks in the Oregon woods?
Maybe our definition of help is different.

Give a man to fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime

I want to help others stand on their own two feet. Not rely on others.

PublicOption
08-07-2010, 04:28 PM
nobody wins, unless everybody wins

IxuThNgl3YA&feature=av2e

TheSullyMonster
08-08-2010, 02:00 AM
Most of the wealth growth in the North was after the slaves were freed. The South remained a backwater. In fact it is the fault of the slaves that economic growth was retarded. The slaves should have organized and broken free.

:depressed

:lol

:lmao

Somebody tell me I'm getting trolled here. Because goddamn.