PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Insider article on why Carmelo Anthony isn't a franchise player.

redzero
08-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Got this from another board.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/news/story?id=5439653&action=login&appRedirect=http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/news/story%3fid%3d5439653

Carmelo Anthony has averaged 20 points per game every season since he arrived in the NBA. This past campaign, he became the third-youngest player ever to reach the 10,000-point plateau, behind only Kobe Bryant and LeBron James. And next summer, he could hit the open market as an unrestricted free agent.

But despite all those gaudy point totals, the three-time All-Star may not even be worth the max deal a team would likely give him in 2011.

At first glance, Anthony seems like a member of the NBA's elite, largely due to his scoring prowess. But a deeper look at the points column and elsewhere in his game reveals a player who lives on an undeserved reputation more than his actual impact on wins.

It's tough to argue with his 28.2 points-per-game average in '09-10, but in the game of basketball, how a shooter gets his points is more meaningful than the raw number itself. To see that, we need to peel back the layers.

Let's first talk about Anthony's shot volume. It's not exactly a secret that 'Melo likes to shoot the rock, but his propensity to launch shots may raise some eyebrows. This past season, no player in the NBA took more shots per minute than Anthony -- not Kobe, not LeBron, not even scoring champ Kevin Durant.

It may seem obvious that a player worthy of 20 shots per game would have a healthy conversion rate. But in Anthony's case, that's far from the truth. Anthony, in reality, had a below-average field goal percentage (.458) this past season -- and his career percentage (.459) is no different. (The league average is .463.)

The sharp readers out there will point out that traditional field goal percentage doesn't reflect Anthony's shooting ability, since he launches a healthy dose of 3-pointers, which obviously count more on the scoreboard. That's true. But if you've been paying attention, you know Anthony is not a good shooter from beyond the arc, so that doesn't help his case. As a career .308 percent 3-point shooter, his shot from downtown ranks far below the norm (the average small forward shot .349 last season; Melo shot .316) and any progress he seemingly made in 2008-09, when he shot a career-high .371, disappeared. Even if we incorporate the added point bonus of a 3-pointer, the Syracuse product's shooting percentages are, at best, average.

It seems that, anyway we slice it, Anthony is a gunner at the core. His exceptional skill on offense is his ability to get his shot off, whether it's attacking the rim or through a patented pull-up jumper on the perimeter. But interestingly enough, Anthony got his shot blocked a whopping 109 times last season, which ranks as the second-highest total in the league, according to Hoopdata.com. Evidently, he doesn't lack perseverance.

Anthony's case illustrates a fundamental problem in conventional basketball analysis: scoring averages don't reflect efficiency. It's true that Anthony scored 28.2 points per game last season, but it's also true that no player missed more shots as often as Anthony did. Feel free to credit his skill but also pay attention his lofty shot volume and playing time.

And that's before we consider the disguise of team pace. Since Anthony entered the league, the Denver Nuggets have averaged 95.9 possessions per game, which places them as the third -fastest squad in the NBA over that period of time (and just a fraction behind the high-octane Phoenix Suns). Over that same span, the Nuggets have squeezed out an extra four possessions per game when compared to the average NBA team. Do the math, and the Nuggets have enjoyed nearly 2,000 extra possessions above the norm since Anthony joined the NBA. That's a ton of extra opportunities that can pad the per-game stats used as measuring sticks.

So after stripping out the inflationary effect of fast pace and boiling down Anthony's numbers to a per possession level, his scoring punch looks even more pedestrian. How pedestrian? Anthony's career offensive rating, an efficiency measure that calculates how many points a player produces per 100 possessions he uses, checks out at 107, which sits right at the league average. For reference, 2003 draft-mates James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh have earned 114, 111, and 113 lifetime offensive ratings, respectively.

Before we prematurely call Anthony an average player, there is something to be said for the burden of trust. Not every player can still perform while shouldering the heavy scoring responsibility that Anthony has endured. But the Nuggets have probably allowed Anthony to shoot far too often if efficiency -- and winning -- is their goal. In fact, last season Melo was only sixth on his own team in ORtg (110), trailing far behind other legit weapons like Nene (124), Chauncey Billups (120) and Ty Lawson (118).

Aside from scoring, Anthony doesn't have many other bankable weapons as a player. His rebounding (career 6.2 rpg) is only slightly better than what we'd expect from a small forward, and he doesn't create opportunities for his teammates like Paul Pierce, Wade and James can. Furthermore, he hasn't shown the intensity and dedication on the defensive end that you'd want from a max player.

In the end, Anthony's game demonstrates why it's important to strip away the biases that color our perceptions of elite players. In Anthony's case, the excessive shot volume, his team's stat-padding tempo and the lack of a true 3-point game makes his 28.2 ppg seem far less impressive than his sparkling reputation would suggest.

If anything, it's time we moved on from per-game statistics to evaluate our players. Millions of dollars are wasted every year basing player value on the archaic statistics that teams used half a century ago. And someone will surely overpay Anthony and offer him a max contract -- just look at the deals Joe Johnson and Rudy Gay got.

If the New York Knicks, rumored to be the favorites to land Melo if he decides to leave Denver, are expecting salvation from Anthony next summer, they're going to be very disappointed with their investment. It would be a much a wiser move to throw that cash toward the pursuit of Chris Paul, a real max player.

Brazil
08-05-2010, 10:23 PM
thank god there is insider article, I had no idea

Red Hawk #21
08-05-2010, 10:25 PM
Great read. I think Carmelo is a fine player but I'm not sure if he's reached his full ceiling yet. He will be truly at his best in a more disciplined system. I think a coach that can get Melo to play defense at a higher level will do wonders for him. And he must also look to create for his teammates more imho. I've seen countless times when the defense keys in on him and plays him well. Melo ought to look to pass when overplayed, instead he tends to force a bad shot or get blocked. If Carmelo begins to play better defense, and creating for his teammates then he's a true franchise player. But till then, it's questionable imo.

TDMVPDPOY
08-05-2010, 10:35 PM
Great read. I think Carmelo is a fine player but I'm not sure if he's reached his full ceiling yet. He will be truly at his best in a more disciplined system. I think a coach that can get Melo to play defense at a higher level will do wonders for him. And he must also look to create for his teammates more imho. I've seen countless times when the defense keys in on him and plays him well. Melo ought to look to pass when overplayed, instead he tends to force a bad shot or get blocked. If Carmelo begins to play better defense, and creating for his teammates then he's a true franchise player. But till then, it's questionable imo.

IMO his a franchise player for what he brings on the offensive side, a scoring threat who can score anywhere and on anyone. The only downside is his defense, but he doesnt need to waste his energy playing all defensive team, for his weaknesses ...u put in another player alongside him to cover his weaknesses.

the nuggets have a solid team, every year in the playoffs the teams they usually loss to went onto win the championship....if they played in the east they would go deep...

DAF86
08-05-2010, 10:40 PM
This article could have been written for many other NBA stars and I'm talking big time stars like Kobe Bryant for example.

DAF86
08-05-2010, 10:42 PM
IMO his a franchise player for what he brings on the offensive side, a scoring threat who can score anywhere and on anyone. The only downside is his defense, but he doesnt need to waste his energy playing all defensive team, for his weaknesses ...u put in another player alongside him to cover his weaknesses.

the nuggets have a solid team, every year in the playoffs the teams they usually loss to went onto win the championship....if they played in the east they would go deep...

Nice sig, I want to buy my girl what that Asian chick is wearing.

redzero
08-05-2010, 10:47 PM
This article could have been written for many other NBA stars and I'm talking big time stars like Kobe Bryant for example.

Kobe has that stigma surrounding him, so people will think he's great no matter what the stats say.

Red Hawk #21
08-05-2010, 10:51 PM

I'm just not a 100% sure about him being a franchise player...But you do bring good points though, he really is a versatile and a great scorer. But in order for him to get over the hump, I firmly believe he needs a different system. The Nuggets are a team that goes around launching shots on offense, and gambling on defense. On good nights, they'll look like world beaters. But when the going really gets tough, those jumpshots stop falling, and they get burned on defense when they gamble.

If the Nuggets got a coach that would get them to commit to defense, they'd be an even better team than they are now. Especially Melo, he should be a nightmare for key scorers on the other team. He's 6'8, 230 pounds with a 7'0 wingspan. Plus he's strong and has athleticism. He should be a lockdown defender. When (IF) he adds that defense to his game, he'll be even more dynamic.

noob cake
08-05-2010, 11:27 PM
Melo = Upgraded Rudy Gay

Mediocre defense, great offensive chucker SF with no passing/leadership attributes.

SomeCallMeTim
08-06-2010, 12:34 AM
Kobe has that stigma surrounding him, so people will think he's great no matter what the stats say.

that word does not mean what you think it means.

redzero
08-06-2010, 12:39 AM

You're correct. Myth should have been the term I used, although it might be too strong a word.

TE
08-06-2010, 12:40 AM

I thought the same thing.

Mark in Austin
08-06-2010, 12:54 AM
This article explains one of the many reasons why facing Denver has yet to scare me.

Darrin
08-06-2010, 01:14 AM
I think this article is unfair. Iverson, in his only full season in Denver, took more shots than Carmelo. He only out-paced Chauncey Billups by less than 300 shots in the 2008-09 season.

When guards and scorers have been around Anthony, while he still shoots a high volume, he doesn't demand that he take a certain amount. He doesn't dominate the ball in terms of scoring unless he has to, and Denver has made sure his entire time there, with exception of 2007-08, that he doesn't have anyone who can help him.

I'd pay him the max, and even if he's not a franchise player, he's the best second-banana in the league, bar none. So he's either the best or among the best. You don't let a guy like that just walk away from you.

redzero
08-06-2010, 01:17 AM
I think this article is unfair. Iverson, in his only full season in Denver, took more shots than Carmelo. He only out-paced Chauncey Billups by less than 300 shots in the 2008-09 season.

When guards and scorers have been around Anthony, while he still shoots a high volume, he doesn't demand that he take a certain amount. He doesn't dominate the ball in terms of scoring unless he has to, and Denver has made sure his entire time there, with exception of 2007-08, that he doesn't have anyone who can help him.

I'd pay him the max, and even if he's not a franchise player, he's the best second-banana in the league, bar none. So he's either the best or among the best. You don't let a guy like that just walk away from you.

The Nuggets have a potent offense. It's not like they wouldn't get the points from somebody else if Carmelo disappeared.

phxspurfan
08-06-2010, 01:26 AM
thank god there is insider article, I had no idea

:lol

phxspurfan
08-06-2010, 01:30 AM

+1

If Joe Johnson is worth the max (and he most certainly isn't), then 'Melo is worth the max + a bag of Doritos. His shot volume is due to the fact that he has been a consistent player on a team that has had injuries and turnover shred its lineups year after year. He has a ton of playoff experience (not to mention Team USA experience) and didn't get past the Lakers, but that can't be all his fault.

Melo is durable, experienced and can light up the scoreboard every night; everything you'd want from a star player on a good team.

ogait
08-06-2010, 09:13 AM
If we're going to be fair there's only a handful of players that deserve a max contract and the list of overpaid players in the NBA is quite long.

Offensively Anthony is a scorer and that's it, he doesn't create for others but that's ok if you have the right team mates. The problem is besides him there is also Billups and JR Smith who also are score fist options. That's no way to build a good team when you have so many guys jacking up shots all over the place.
Last year fg % from these 3 guys: Melo 45.8%, Billups 41.8 %, JR Smith 41,4%.

In the end he's a volume shooter like many others in the league but he's way better than most in that department. He's one of the few who can duel the very best in the league like Lebron or Kobe even on defence if he makes up his mind for that . Cavs vs Nuggets last season was easily one of the most entertaining games of the year and Melo went back and forward with Lebron all game. Does an average player do that? I don't think so.

Is he a franchise player? Probably not, but lets be honest there only 2 or 3 legit franchise players per decade. Now if he goes to New York to play with Amare and they don't bring at least a very good point guard to play with them they're going to suck, but is he overpaid if he gets a max contract? No, at least not by NBA standards.

jacobdrj
08-06-2010, 10:30 AM
Carmelo=Glen Robinson
PERIOD.

You want to have a good team with a scorer like Melo? You have to build a hell of a team around him... Preferably with a big lumbering center next to him. I can't help feeling that both Cleveland and Denver wouldn't have had more success had they picked each-others' player in the 2003 draft...

LeBron would have fit much better with the running game Denver was trying to re-create.

duhoh
08-06-2010, 10:39 AM
if bosh and amare can get those HUGE deals, melo will get a nice one.

when melo posts up though, it's pretty solid stuff.

NuGGeTs-FaN
08-06-2010, 11:49 AM
Carmelo=Glen Robinson
PERIOD.

:lmao........

NuGGeTs-FaN
08-06-2010, 11:51 AM
Melo won't do an hour long show about leaving Denver, so he already is better than Lebron in my eyes

Chieflion
08-06-2010, 11:52 AM
I like how Piston fan is still butthurt about picking Darko at number 2 in the 2003 NBA draft. If Melo was on the Pistons, he wouldn't be saying Melo = Glenn Robinson.

NuGGeTs-FaN
08-06-2010, 11:59 AM
I like how Piston fan is still butthurt about picking Darko at number 2 in the 2003 NBA draft. If Melo was on the Pistons, he wouldn't be saying Melo = Glenn Robinson.

:lol true. That's why i hate Amare, coz the Nuggets picked Tskitisvilibhsbxhb but they should have drafted him :bang

picc84
08-06-2010, 12:43 PM
Melo > Durant

SomeCallMeTim
08-06-2010, 02:20 PM

Melo on the Pistons would've been scary.

Not because Melo isn't an upper echelon elite player in the NBA (he isn't and the article actually makes great points), but because he's a great player and that Pistons team was already stacked.

HarlemHeat37
08-06-2010, 02:28 PM
Anthony obviously should get the max..he's not a legit "franchise player", but there are only 3 or 4 guys in the NBA right now that are actually legit "franchise players"..the other teams obviously have to pay somebody to be their franchise guy, and Anthony certainly fits the bill..

Anthony is probably in the top 3 most versatile scorers in the NBA..the only types of scoring in which he isn't in the upper tier for wings is pick and roll and spot-up shooting..he's an elite iso scorer, an elite post up wing player, an elite cutter, great transition and hand-off player..Denver doesn't run any screens for him, but he's shown he can do that too..

Defensively, he was absolutely horrible last year, and I don't really see that ever changing..it's not a huge deal IMO, but it's part of what keeps him so much behind Lebron IMO(along with passing)..

in2deep
08-06-2010, 02:29 PM
I'll save you the time and tell you in 1 sentence.

He's an idiot.