PDA

View Full Version : SI offseason grades: SW Division

Shifty
08-06-2010, 02:45 PM
What went right. What went wrong. Bottom line.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/britt_robson/08/04/offseason.grades.southwest/index.html

:flag:

lefty
08-06-2010, 02:51 PM
Good read

If RJ wakes the fuck up, watch out

But the Lakers are still better IMHO

Sean Cagney
08-06-2010, 03:11 PM
Good read

If RJ wakes the fuck up, watch out

But the Lakers are still better IMHO

Pretty much. LA gets an injury though and it's open, who knows?

Cane
08-06-2010, 03:23 PM
Now, Parker, who has one year left on his contract, reportedly doesn't want to discuss an extension, and his status will be a rare distraction for the franchise until the situation is resolved.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/britt_robson/08/04/offseason.grades.southwest/index.html#ixzz0vrLKDOqf

:stirpot:

panic giraffe
08-06-2010, 03:38 PM
did anyone else see a big fucking bold "TRADE TONY BEFORE THE DEADLINE" sign there or was that just me?

spursfaninla
08-06-2010, 03:38 PM
I noted the part about not wanting to discuss an extension. That is different news than we had before...

I was hoping that TP was just holding out for more money, but always knew he might see the Spurs as taking a big drop after this year, and wanting no part of a mediocre team.

But New York is going to be better? I don't think so. I don't know what TP is thinking, to be honest. There are NO contenders with cash to pay him. Unless he does a sign and trade, he can't get paid anything close to what he is worth unless he goes to a rebuilding team.

Thoughts on where TP could go that would have cash and would be a contender next year?

MAYBE if Carmelo promises to go to NY when his contract is up, NY is a contender then. But unless we see some miami-like collusion, it is too risky.

Plus, they might prefer to wait for paul.

ohmwrecker
08-06-2010, 03:41 PM
did anyone else see a big fucking bold "TRADE TONY BEFORE THE DEADLINE" sign there or was that just me?

I would like to say it was just you, but I know that can't be true. If the Spurs are playing well and look like they can prop that window open for another year or two, Tony will re-sign. If not . . . trade him, or don't. It won't matter anyway.

spursfaninla
08-06-2010, 03:44 PM
I would like to say it was just you, but I know that can't be true. If the Spurs are playing well and look like they can prop that window open for another year or two, Tony will re-sign. If not . . . trade him, or don't. It won't matter anyway.

Do you think tony signs for 5 years for another couple of years with a 36 year old TD, even if the team does well? I don't know.

I agree that teams don't contend for championships unless a miracle happens, basically. Top 5 players need to drop in your lap for nothing, basically. That has been the recipe for the last many championships.

So, agreed. TP walking away makes no difference, because he is not bringing a top 5 player in any case.

in2deep
08-06-2010, 04:03 PM
IF RJ improves from last year
IF Manu/TD/TP stay healthy
IF Hill and Blair take it up a couple of notches
IF Splitter has an equal or better than Scola debut
IF Pop starts taking Alzheimers meds

Spurs have a great chance

those are a LOT of IFs :(

Shifty
08-06-2010, 04:34 PM
IF RJ improves from last year
IF Manu/TD/TP stay healthy
IF Hill and Blair take it up a couple of notches
IF Splitter has an equal or better than Scola debut
IF Pop starts taking Alzheimers meds

Spurs have a great chance

those are a LOT of IFs :(

I don't think all those conditions need to be true for the Spurs to win and even if they do, you can say that of pretty much any team. If Kobe stays healthy (which its starting to be a concern), if Artest can keep his cool again and hit another championship 3 at the final minute of game seven of the finals, if Bynum is healthy, if my overachieving guards can overachieve again, etc...

Whisky Dog
08-06-2010, 04:37 PM
I think there is definitely something to the way Pop has always busted TPs ass while coddling Hill like he's his freaking grandson. That has to have put a strain on the TP/Pop relationship.

will_spurs
08-06-2010, 04:42 PM

Same guys spewing the same rumor... nothing new under the sun (except some more distortion of facts).

DirkISaCocLuvinPuSSy
08-06-2010, 04:54 PM
well if we look the same by the break as last season then Parker will most likely be traded, but if were looking good i think he resigns,and gets to be the man for 2 to 3 yrs.Tony can resign here and be a winner and get the chance to be the man if he waits. or we suck and he takes a fat check to do whatever. but also if Anderson, and Hill blossom well then its a for sure good bye for Parker.

alchemist
08-06-2010, 05:51 PM
I keep saying he's not coming back, it's a tough spot to be in (the Spurs) because he wants max money but isn't a Franchise player. How are you going to explain to him that Joe Johnson with no rings is worth more than a guy with 3 and 1 Finals MVP?

rmt
08-06-2010, 08:00 PM
I keep saying he's not coming back, it's a tough spot to be in (the Spurs) because he wants max money but isn't a Franchise player. How are you going to explain to him that Joe Johnson with no rings is worth more than a guy with 3 and 1 Finals MVP?

Especially after giving RJ $40mil/4 years. But once Parker's speed goes, he'll need the mid-range jumpshot and to develop a 3 point shot. He also has a lot of mileage even though he's only 28.

dbestpro
08-06-2010, 08:32 PM
It never is as simple as giving RJ 40 mil for 4 years and Tony knows this. RJ was going to cost the Spurs 25-26 mil for one year regardless what they did. So in effect they got an extension with RJ at 3 years for about 14-15 mil and what would have been paid in tax goes to RJ.

Dunc n Dave
08-06-2010, 09:39 PM
We are still to small up front I give us a C+.......all we did was sign our draft picks and pick up Neal. Love the Richards pick for the future but we really did nothing in FA.

How could we do any MORE? Splitter used up a chunk of the MLE, and we are competing against teams with actual cap space (or a FULL MLE) that exceeds the $2 million we have left of the MLE.

The Spurs are lucky to be under the luxury tax now (thanks to RJ) and I doubt they will do a deal that will put them BACK above the line. Deal with it. Next year McDyess is gone and we can possibly use the full MLE again, depending on what happens with Parker.

will_spurs
08-07-2010, 02:35 AM
The article doesn't mention on the plus that Tony is both rested (something that never happened before, basically) and in a contract year (somehow they manage to turn that into a negative, weirdly predicting some drama in the locker room despite it being historically very very rare for the Spurs). Nice way to spin a story.

EmptyMan
08-07-2010, 03:00 PM
Spot-on article.

This is going to be a fun year. Good way to end the Duncan years.

Dunc n Dave
08-07-2010, 10:35 PM
This is the last year we will have a shot with this group unless we pull of some miricle trade to grab a superstar.

While I understand we have little money to work with, Shaq just signed for the min, and his perfered team to play for was the Spurs. Adding Shaq for the min would have put us right with the Lakers. Instead we didnt show any interest letting him go to a team that wants it more than we do.

We found no way to add another SF who could give us mins.....We could have picked up another first rounder as many teams were selling picks and grabbed a backup.

We need more size off the bench. Josh Boone still out there, Elson....guys who can move and play D 6-11 or above.

We still have the LLE left so I will hold off judgement, but IMO the spurs have not done enough to make a splash, be it by trade or in the draft. Dont get me wrong I love what we have done so far, Anderson is one of 3 players I really wanted and he has star ability.

Splitter should be nothing short of solid but is rail thin and not a shot blocker or lane clogger nor has he show he can score with his back to the basket, something we need to keep the pressure of TD and keep him fresh.

Neal is gonna be solid and wouldnt shock me to see him start at some point this year, but again our bench bigs 6-7,6-9. Plus we are old with Dice 36 and TD 34 how many games/mins can they give us?

Shaq would be unhappy in San Antonio because of a lack of playing time. Him coming to SA would have thwarted the development of Splitter AND Blair. How are we gonna play Duncan, McDyess, Splitter, Blair, Bonner (cuz Pop is STILL in love with the "stretch-4") AND Shaq?

Shaq to the Celtics made more sense because Perkins might be out the whole year and Rasheed is retiring. Shaq's only competition at center is Big Baby and a washed up, injury prone Jermaine Oneal, who will probably back up Garnett. So really, it's Shaq and Big Baby at center for most of the year.

Agloco
08-08-2010, 05:36 PM
This is the last year we will have a shot with this group unless we pull of some miricle trade to grab a superstar.

And what superstar did you have in mind? Work out all of the numbers for us too....

While I understand we have little money to work with, Shaq just signed for the min, and his perfered team to play for was the Spurs. Adding Shaq for the min would have put us right with the Lakers. Instead we didnt show any interest letting him go to a team that wants it more than we do.

:lmao I almost stopped reading right here..........almost. Surely you're referring to a 30 year old Shaq who was still in his prime. Yeah, he makes a difference; the current version of Shaq does not. Simply taking up space doesn't get it done. Oh, and he's a cancer. Why would you suggest he be brought here. There's a reason he remained unsigned as long as he did.....

We found no way to add another SF who could give us mins.....We could have picked up another first rounder as many teams were selling picks and grabbed a backup.

"Selling" for what exactly? Who or what go the Spurs "sell" for another first rounder? What pick gives us a good enough backup? The 7th? The 17th? :sleep

We need more size off the bench. Josh Boone still out there, Elson....guys who can move and play D 6-11 or above.

This I agree with........ but then you follow it up with Boone and Elson as examples? Fail.

We still have the LLE left so I will hold off judgement, but IMO the spurs have not done enough to make a splash, be it by trade or in the draft. Dont get me wrong I love what we have done so far, Anderson is one of 3 players I really wanted and he has star ability.

You state that you'll reserve judgement and then follow it up with two statements which run contrary to each other. :wtf I'll also cite the fact that you gave the Spurs a C+, without so much as a mention as to what the other teams on the list would receive under your system.

Splitter should be nothing short of solid but is rail thin and not a shot blocker or lane clogger nor has he show he can score with his back to the basket, something we need to keep the pressure of TD and keep him fresh.

We need an efficient player to keep the pressure off of Timmy. Exactly how he gets it done is irrelevant.

Neal is gonna be solid and wouldnt shock me to see him start at some point this year, but again our bench bigs 6-7,6-9. Plus we are old with Dice 36 and TD 34 how many games/mins can they give us?

Neal will compete with Anderson for minutes, and both are behind Manu and Hill. I'd be surprised to see him in anything except spot minutes.

Oh, and you conveniently left out Bonner. Love him or hate him, at 3+ mil per year, you know he's gonna get some burn. He's a stud and plays bigger than his 6'10 suggests. :lol

Sean Cagney
08-08-2010, 11:38 PM
A is not bad, much better than most offseasons we have had.

#41 Shoot Em Up
08-08-2010, 11:43 PM
Spurs are getting bounced by the Hornets, then the Hornets are bouncing the Lakers in 6 . Hornets lose to Heat in 7 in triple OT. According to Bleacher report
This prediction has been confirmed by BRHORNET45

Dex
08-08-2010, 11:55 PM
Spurs may not be the all-out favorites any more, but I am still really excited for this season just to see the progression of things. Will Tony come back to form? Will Hill break out? Will Blair get a solid role? Will Splitter fit in? Will Anderson or Neal be studs or duds? So many underlying story lines.

And then, of course, there is more of watching Tim be Tim and Manu be Manu.

The season just can't get here fast enough.

Shifty
08-09-2010, 10:39 AM
Spurs may not be the all-out favorites any more, but I am still really excited for this season just to see the progression of things. Will Tony come back to form? Will Hill break out? Will Blair get a solid role? Will Splitter fit in? Will Anderson or Neal be studs or duds? So many underlying story lines.

And then, of course, there is more of watching Tim be Tim and Manu be Manu.

The season just can't get here fast enough.

Agree but don't forget RJ. Will he make the jump we wish him to make?

Manu-of-steel
08-10-2010, 06:31 AM
I believe TP will be back to being one of the top pgs in the league. He's well-rested, and in his contract year. Manu's nose is healed. TD has Splitter as defender in the paint. Can't wait to watch the spurs this season.