PDA

View Full Version : Series notebook: Udrih takes foul with composure

Kori Ellis
05-18-2005, 02:10 AM
Series notebook: Udrih takes foul with composure
Web Posted: 05/18/2005 01:00 AM CDT

It was a mismatch of epic proportions: 6-foot-3, 205-pound Spurs guard Beno Udrih taking a charge from Seattle's Danny Fortson (6-8, 260).

With 1:32 left in the third quarter Tuesday, Udrih stood his ground and became a hero to his teammates.

"I was ready," Udrih said. "I said, 'Just hit me.' Anything to help my team. Anything to win the game.

"It felt like nothing. Just get up off the floor and play the game."

No comparison to L.A. series: Bruce Bowen didn't buy into the talk comparing the Spurs' situation in this season's Western Conference semifinals to last year's.

The reason? A year ago, the Spurs were facing the Los Angeles Lakers, who had Shaquille O'Neal, Kobe Bryant, Karl Malone and Gary Payton.

"The Lakers series was very much different because it's different players," Bowen said. "We're talking about three future Hall of Famers, possibly four in GP, a lot of basketball knowledge on that team. Not to slight Seattle, but it's not as much veteran leadership as L.A. had."

Glory years: Tony Parker celebrated his birthday Tuesday. Which one is up for debate.

"I'm finally 18," Parker said. "I finally made it."

Parker actually turned 23. Entering Tuesday, he ranked second all-time among players 23 and under with 863 playoff points. Kobe Bryant is first with 1,264.

Lewis sits again: Sonics forward Rashard Lewis missed his second consecutive game with an injured big toe. Lewis tried to get ready for Game 5, but couldn't put enough pressure on the toe to run or jump effectively.

Antonio Daniels replaced Lewis in the starting lineup, as he did in Game 4.

History says ...: Of the 123 previous NBA best-of-seven series that were tied at 2-2, the winner of Game 5 went on to win 103 times (84 percent).

No change in plans: Sonics coach Nate McMillan said before the game that the prospect of Manu Ginobili starting instead of Brent Barry made no difference in his planning.

"I know (Ginobili) is going to play a lot of minutes," McMillan said. "I think coach (Gregg) Popovich has used him in a number of different ways during the playoffs. Whether he starts or comes off the bench, I know he'll be in there when it matters."

Briefly: Former Spurs coach Bob Hill was at Tuesday's game as a guest of the Sonics. ... Devin Brown played two minutes, though Popovich doesn't sound as opposed about using him as he was earlier in the series. "I'm a little bit reticent to do it," Popovich said. "But we've thrown him out there a couple of times, given him a few minutes and he reacted pretty well."

Johnny Ludden, Mike Monroe and Mike Finger

Kori Ellis
05-18-2005, 02:11 AM
"I was ready," Udrih said. "I said, 'Just hit me.' Anything to help my team. Anything to win the game.

That's a great quote. Where's the Beno Militia?

timvp
05-18-2005, 02:11 AM
Former Spurs coach Bob Hill was at Tuesday's game as a guest of the Sonics.

Like the Spurs needed more motivation.

:lol

T Park
05-18-2005, 02:13 AM
what was he gonna do to help em.

Not like he was gonna say anything defensively.

Seriously, WTF is that fool gonna tell them.

BadlyDrawnBoy
05-18-2005, 02:13 AM
Is the Spurs bad blood with Hill so bad that he needed help from the Sonics to watch the game? lol

About three weeks ago, Bob Hill was on Instant Reply with that tool Greg Simmons. Hill looked very tan. Man, he's two sun burns away from skin cancer.

MI21
05-18-2005, 02:34 AM
Parker actually turned 23. Entering Tuesday, he ranked second all-time among players 23 and under with 863 playoff points. Kobe Bryant is first with 1,264.

Cool stat.

GoSpurs21
05-18-2005, 02:48 AM
Look at the game film where was his (Beno) hands....above his head straight UP

Its hard to score with hands in the way....come on Spurs play D with your hands UP

nickbroken
05-18-2005, 03:08 AM
WAR BENO :hat

Horry For 3!
05-18-2005, 03:49 AM
Good article. That actually was a pivital point when Beno took that charge.

Slomo
05-18-2005, 04:40 AM
I did not see the game. How bad/physical was it?

Kori Ellis
05-18-2005, 04:42 AM
I did not see the game. How bad/physical was it?

Bad.

Beno should feel like a bad ass. He stood in and just let Fortson's fat ass run right straight through him. It was awesome.

mattyc
05-18-2005, 06:33 AM

Awesome quote. Great attitude, Beno.
:smokin

Useruser666
05-18-2005, 07:08 AM
Floppy Fortson stuck his rhino knee out too.

spur219
05-18-2005, 08:52 AM
Damn right. Beno was awesome and it was inspiring he would do that to help his team out.

blaze89
05-18-2005, 09:21 AM
Floppy Fortson stuck his rhino knee out too.

In the first half, anyone see Fortson flops as if Duncan just walloped him. Fortson flopped to the first row, but there was no call. Pretty funny to see.

Then the second flop underneath the basket, the ref didn't call, that led to Duncan with and easy two points.

GrandeDavid
05-18-2005, 09:41 AM
Briefly: Former Spurs coach Bob Hill was at Tuesday's game as a guest of the Sonics. ... Devin Brown played two minutes, though Popovich doesn't sound as opposed about using him as he was earlier in the series. "I'm a little bit reticent to do it," Popovich said. "But we've thrown him out there a couple of times, given him a few minutes and he reacted pretty well."

Johnny Ludden, Mike Monroe and Mike Finger

I met Coach Hill at the Kentucky-Michigan St. NCAA Regional Finals in Austin this year. He's a big man. Nice enough guy.

spurster
05-18-2005, 09:48 AM
On the replay, Fortson did seem to slow down a bit, but it was a gutsy play by Beno. He gets an A from me just for that play.

caŽlo
05-18-2005, 09:49 AM
damnit. if only barry would act like beno

sa_butta
05-18-2005, 11:34 AM
Damn good sacrafice of the body.
Did anyone see Pop's post game remarks
about the charge. He said something walking off
the podium. I know it was funny but cant remember
someone help me out here...

cherylsteele
05-18-2005, 11:42 AM
I met Coach Hill at the Kentucky-Michigan St. NCAA Regional Finals in Austin this year. He's a big man. Nice enough guy.

Being nice may have been his problem when he was here.

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-18-2005, 12:06 PM
Remember back in the day when we were all scared 'cause Beno skinned his arm/elbow on the court and kinda sat there looking at it.

Props Beno!

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-18-2005, 12:35 PM
Great quote by Beno.

Hill helps scout for the Sonics down in this part of the country.

JUUOT
05-18-2005, 01:37 PM
yes it was what i was going to say. eveybody was wooried at the begining of the year of beno being a pussy affraid of getting hurt. i guess he now proves he is spurs materials.
They should do it more if you rotate fast enough we should always have a guard sliding to cover the double team on the pick and rol. Because how can you expect James to make the extrat pass? there are more chances their bigs will just blow offensive fouls