PDA

View Full Version : General 2011 NBA Draft Discussion

Pages : [1] 2

Bruno
08-07-2010, 05:06 PM
Spurs' 2011 draft picks :
Spurs have the 29th and 59th picks.

Players available for the 2011 draft :
International players born in 1989 and college senior are automatically eligible.
College underclassmen and international players born in 90, 91 or 92 can enter in the draft.

Key dates :
April 5 : Teams can start workouts with automatically eligible players.
April 6 - April 9 : Portsmouth invitational tournament
April 9 : Nike Hoop Summit in Portland
April 24 : Early entry eligibility deadline, teams can start workouts with them.
May 8 : Early entry withdrawal deadline to keep NCAA eligibility.
May 17 : Draft Lottery.
May 18 - May 22 : Draft combine in Chicago.
June 11 - June 13 : Adidas Eurocamp in Treviso.
June 13 : Early entry withdrawal deadline.
June 23 : NBA Draft in NY.

Workouts list:

PG:
Andrew Goudelock (May 11, June 3)
Charles Jenkins (May 13)
Ben Hansbrough (May 11)
Demetry McCamey (May 23)
Brad Wanamaker (May 31)
Shelvin Mack (May 31, June 18)
Cory Joseph (June 1)
Iman Shumpert (May 27)
Corey Fisher

SG:
E'Twaun Moore (June 1)
David Lighty (June 1)
Xavier Silas (May 9)
Jamarr Sanders (May 11)
Malcolm Lee (June 3)
Brady Morningstar (June 7)
Josh Selby (June 1)
Gilbert Brown
DeAndre Liggins (May 27)
Austin Freeman
Xavi Rabaseda (June 19)
Bojan Bogdanovic
Scotty Hopson
Justin Holiday

SF:
Jimmy Butler (interview, May 20; workout, May 27)
Chandler Parsons (May 27)
Kyle Singler (May 31)
Tyler Honeycutt (May 31)
Tobias Harris

PF:
Matt Howard
Jamie Skeen (May 13)
Justin Harper (May 13)
Jon Leuer
Malcolm Thomas (May 25)
Lavoy Allen (May 23, June 3)
JaJuan Johnson (May 31)
Jordan Williams (May 31)
Matthew Bryan-Amaning (June 1)
Rick Jackson (June 1)
Marcus Morris (May 27)
Donatas Motiejunas (June 18)
Terrence Jennings

C:
Keith Benson (May 13)
Jeremy Tyler (May 23, June 3)
Enes Kanter (interview only)
Nikola Vucevic (May 27)

Links :
Draftexpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/index.php)
Nbadraft (http://www.nbadraft.net/)
A blog on European prospects (http://www.europeanprospects.com/)
Espn draft page (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2011/index)
Wiki on the lottery (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Draft_Lottery)
Future draft picks (http://www.realgm.com/src_future_draftpicks.php)
NCAA players stats (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/players)
Euroleague players stats (http://www.euroleague.net/competition/players)
CBA faq (http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm)

Think Thank Draft related threads:
2011 NBA Draft Prospect Thread Index (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172861)

Chieflion
09-30-2010, 08:32 AM
For the draft geeks, we can all discuss draft prospects and their games played. The NCAA division I games starts off in November. We know the Spurs are most likely going to make the playoffs. Our draft position in 2010 was the 20th pick, so I believe I will look out for prospects who

The prospects I would look out for are the following, not in order (They are all SFs or SGs who I believe can play SF though, I am not giving up on that obsession until we get someone good).

For those who follow other positions, do share what you know with us.

1. Kyle Singler (Projected to go mid-first round)

For draft geeks, I am sure everyone knows Singler. After a NCAA championship last season, Singler was expected to declare for the draft and stay in the draft. Instead, Singler pulled his name out (I was dismayed at first, he was another SF the Spurs could have targeted. Then we got James Anderson, who I thought would have been drafted at 17 or 19.)

The Blue Devils are going to have a bullseye on their backs next season as they are the champions and the spotlight is going to be on Singler.

2. Elias Harris (Projected to go mid-first round)

The small forward from Gonzaga will be going into his sophomore year next season. Gonzaga was eliminated from the NCAA tournament in the 2nd round last season against Syracruse, whose team featured the 4th pick in the 2010 draft, Wesley Johnson. Despite the tough matchup against Johnson, Harris managed to put up 24 points and 8 rebounds which was extremely good.

Harris has the size of the prototypical swingman and is very athletic, and loves to hustle. Although the last few notable players from Gonzaga weren't up to par, Harris shows potential to be a better NBA player than Adam Morrison and Austin Daye. Hey, John Stockton wasn't that bad a basketball player.

3. Wesley Witherspoon (Projected to go late 1st round)

The Memphis Tigers lost Tyreke Evans to the NBA last season and Wesley Witherspoon was able to make up some of the loss. He improved immensely from 3 point range from 21.4% to 43%. Clearly, he put in some work and we see the results. In the NCAA, rebounds and steals are usually good indicators of a long wingspan. Steals in particular, in the NCAA, also show how good a player can be on defense. Wesley Witherspoon averaged 1.4 steals last season, showing length and good defensive instincts.

Every player also has flaws. Witherspoon's weak drives lead to turnovers. He is also quite foul prone. Witherspoon is somewhat inconsistent on a game to game basis. It would be interesting to see whether he improves his stock or declines severely next season.

What do you guys think of any draft prospects who might possibly be in the Spurs range next season?

mountainballer
10-01-2010, 11:01 AM
For the draft geeks, we can all discuss draft prospects and their games played. The NCAA division I games starts off in November. We know the Spurs are most likely going to make the playoffs. Our draft position in 2010 was the 20th pick, so I believe I will look out for prospects who

The prospects I would look out for are the following, not in order (They are all SFs or SGs who I believe can play SF though, I am not giving up on that obsession until we get someone good).

For those who follow other positions, do share what you know with us.

1. Kyle Singler (Projected to go mid-first round)

For draft geeks, I am sure everyone knows Singler. After a NCAA championship last season, Singler was expected to declare for the draft and stay in the draft. Instead, Singler pulled his name out (I was dismayed at first, he was another SF the Spurs could have targeted. Then we got James Anderson, who I thought would have been drafted at 17 or 19.)

The Blue Devils are going to have a bullseye on their backs next season as they are the champions and the spotlight is going to be on Singler.

2. Elias Harris (Projected to go mid-first round)

The small forward from Gonzaga will be going into his sophomore year next season. Gonzaga was eliminated from the NCAA tournament in the 2nd round last season against Syracruse, whose team featured the 4th pick in the 2010 draft, Wesley Johnson. Despite the tough matchup against Johnson, Harris managed to put up 24 points and 8 rebounds which was extremely good.

Harris has the size of the prototypical swingman and is very athletic, and loves to hustle. Although the last few notable players from Gonzaga weren't up to par, Harris shows potential to be a better NBA player than Adam Morrison and Austin Daye. Hey, John Stockton wasn't that bad a basketball player.

3. Wesley Witherspoon (Projected to go late 1st round)

The Memphis Tigers lost Tyreke Evans to the NBA last season and Wesley Witherspoon was able to make up some of the loss. He improved immensely from 3 point range from 21.4% to 43%. Clearly, he put in some work and we see the results. In the NCAA, rebounds and steals are usually good indicators of a long wingspan. Steals in particular, in the NCAA, also show how good a player can be on defense. Wesley Witherspoon averaged 1.4 steals last season, showing length and good defensive instincts.

Every player also has flaws. Witherspoon's weak drives lead to turnovers. He is also quite foul prone. Witherspoon is somewhat inconsistent on a game to game basis. It would be interesting to see whether he improves his stock or declines severely next season.

What do you guys think of any draft prospects who might possibly be in the Spurs range next season?

I don't know enough about the class of 2011 yet, but it looks decent in the SF department. (so did 2010 and the intriguing prospects were all gone at #20). of course I know Singler, who is a pretty good college player, but who I still don't think will become a good NBA player.
I totally agree about Harris, he looks almost a perfect fit. but I fear his stock will go up next season and he will finally be a lottery pick.

Chieflion
10-02-2010, 01:17 AM
There is also a player I am interested in by the name of Kenneth Faried at the PF position, since McDyess is likely going to retire after the 2011 season. Faried is going into his senior year and is going to enter the draft next season at an age of 21 (which will become 22 in November 2011).

Faried is the nation leading rebounder at 13 rebounds a game, playing 30.3 minutes. For reference, Blair averaged 12.3 rebounds in 27.3 minutes while in Pitt, so they are similar in terms of rebounding production.

Faried has a major weakness in that he sucks at getting assists primarily due to his role and doesn't have a mid range game. He also only converts about 59% at the free throw line.

Unlike Blair, Faried weighs a lean 215 pounds standing at 6 foot 8. Faried is a great help defender in college, averaging 1.6 steals and 1.9 blocks. He also scores more than Blair in college, although it is unfair to compare a junior's stats with a sophomore's.

Rebounding has been one of the easiest stats to translate into the NBA and Faried should be able to find his niche in the NBA playing the power forward position if he bulks up more. The cons are that he plays in the Ohio Valley conference, which isn't that notable of a conference.

Faried's jump to become a lock for a 1st round pick is to elevate his game and team to make the NCAA tournament, they didn't make it last season. Otherwise, look for him to fall to late 1st round or early 2nd round, where the Spurs could pick him up.

Chieflion
10-13-2010, 06:13 AM
The top bigs list that could fall around the Spurs area, not.

To be honest with all of you, the 2011 draft class is an absolute joke when it comes to PFs and Cs. All these 2nd round talents being projected to be 1st rounders in this weak draft class is eye-boggling due to the looming 2011 lockout.

We got guys like Chris Singleton shooting 41% from the field last season being projected as a first rounder. He is not putting up big numbers and absolutely sucks. You got guys like John Henson projected as a 1st rounder and he barely plays. Concentrate on watching the guards, they are the ones to look out for.

Next season's powerhouse would be defending champions Duke, with point guard Kyrie Irving and guard Austin Rivers joining Duke. That would be a team of NBA talent to look out for.

mountainballer
10-13-2010, 08:15 AM
could once more become a nice Duke vs. NC match up.
if Barnes is as good as advertised and Bullock is good too, Henson and Zeller should have a break out seasons. the Tar Heels will be very dangerous.

Chieflion
11-19-2010, 02:22 AM
Reporting some rather late news. Thankfully, there wasn't a tear.

Gonzaga's Harris Receives Good News On Achilles Injury

Elias Harris suffered a foot injury in Gonzaga's loss on Tuesday to San Diego State, but his Achilles is not torn.

Harris is expected to miss approximately one week.

Harris heard something in his foot pop when suffering the injury.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/70145/20101118/gonzagas_harris_receives_good_news_on_achilles_inj ury/

sinok
11-19-2010, 05:31 AM
So bad spurs can't have a shot at Vesely...
However, not sure the spurs might go for an SF with RJ at his current level & Anderson looking comfortable playing it (Danny Green not beeing part of the equation as of now).

mountainballer
11-19-2010, 05:36 AM
thankfully not a torn Achilles. would have already put Harris out of the 2011 draft.

btw. we should keep an eye on the development of Wesley Witherspoon.
kid is taking huge steps from season to season and considering his tools he looks like a very interesting piece for the Spurs core for the future.
(versatile, skinny, great lengths. a bit Tayshaun Prince maybe)
kid is still very young for a junior (20). also a bit immature though.

DX currently has him at #30 in 2011, nbadraft has him at # 33 in 2012.

stock should rise during this season, but could still be available at the Spurs pick.

yavozerb
11-19-2010, 11:25 AM
With the spurs looking like they will be drafting late in 2011 draft the same motto which has worked well for the spurs in the past will once again be applied: Best player available.

Bruno
11-19-2010, 11:40 AM
Only Dice won't be here next year. Spurs will be 2 deep at every spot (Parker/Hill, Ginobili/Neal, Jefferson/Anderson, Blair/Bonner, Duncan/Splitter). It doesn't look like Spurs will have glaring a weakness like last year where it was almost sure they would draft a SF. Maybe a hole will appear during the season, but it's not the case for the moment.

Even if Spurs have had an easy schedule, a 9-1 start will surely help Spurs to finish the season with 55+ wins and not 50 like last year. Spurs pick won't be as high as last year.

The combination of no true need and a low pick could push Spurs to go with a high risk high reward player. Spurs will also spend a lot of money so they could end up selling their pick.

Anyway, all the above has a good chance of being totally wrong come draft time. It's way too soon to have a serious talk about the draft.

yavozerb
11-19-2010, 12:11 PM
Only Dice won't be here next year. Spurs will be 2 deep at every spot (Parker/Hill, Ginobili/Neal, Jefferson/Anderson, Blair/Bonner, Duncan/Splitter). It doesn't look like Spurs will have glaring a weakness like last year where it was almost sure they would draft a SF. Maybe a hole will appear during the season, but it's not the case for the moment.

Even if Spurs have had an easy schedule, a 9-1 start will surely help Spurs to finish the season with 55+ wins and not 50 like last year. Spurs pick won't be as high as last year.

The combination of no true need and a low pick could push Spurs to go with a high risk high reward player. Spurs will also spend a lot of money so they could end up selling their pick.

Anyway, all the above has a good chance of being totally wrong come draft time. It's way too soon to have a serious talk about the draft.

agreed...players like Bojan Bogdanovic or Aguilar would also be nice late picks to stash in europe..just a thought

Bruno
11-19-2010, 05:53 PM
Bogdanovic looks intriguing after given how much he scored. I don't see Aguilar being worth a first round pick, too limited. My top 3 European players born in 89 is Bogdanovic, Macvan and Benzing but I don't see a lot of quality in the 89 class.

If Spurs draft an Euro in the first round, I see more a younger player (born in 90, 91 or 92) with a lot of upside. It would be like in 05 with Mahinmi and hopefully the outcome will be different.

Penya
11-19-2010, 09:12 PM
Aguilar?!. Uggggh, no.

Rabaseda def a better player.

Libri
11-20-2010, 01:56 AM
Does anybody have some observations about Aaric Murray from La Salle?

mountainballer
11-20-2010, 06:22 AM
i take the performance from Bogdanovic with a grain of salt.
yes, his numbers look nice and there is no doubt he has improved a lot from last season, but he is doing it on a very bad Cibona team and he is also often playing a pretty selfish style. his effort on defense also isn't very impressive.
but all this doesn't say that he isn't at least a legit 2nd round pick for 2011. 1st round I don't know.

btw. Cibona.
the player who did impress me a lot this season is Leon Radosevic. (born 1990, unlikely to declare 2011). he has always been in the shadow of some more talented players in his age group, but my guts say he might have a better chance to one day make it to the NBA than most of his peers.
(not as a star though. but as a solid role player). he improved in little steps and looks ready to have a break out season this year. he moves extremly well and really works his ass off and plays a pretty tough style for a 20 years old kid. he has obviously worked a lot to eliminate his flaws, seems to be working in practice as hard as on the court.
(this might be a reach, but in some moments the way he moves, his body type and his game reminded me about Tiago 5 years back. at 6'10'' he is a bit smaller than Tiago though.)

outmap
11-20-2010, 09:47 AM
Wesley witherspoon
:)

BronxCowboy
11-20-2010, 09:49 AM
Barring any major surprises, seems like a perfect time to dump the first round pick. Provided anyone wants it.

mountainballer
11-20-2010, 10:36 AM
there were quite some rumors about it some weeks ago. the big start from the Spurs might have cost the pick quite some of it's attractivity.
I guess most teams expected the Spurs to play a similar RS like 2009-10 and end up with a 18-22 pick. now they are on pace to the #28-30 pick. quite a difference.

mountainballer
11-22-2010, 10:42 AM
Chace Stanback from UNLV could become an intriguing option for a 2nd round pick, if he continues to play like he started the season. (no profile on DX yet). nice mix of skills, quickness and length (6'8''). very skinny though.

Penya
11-22-2010, 03:05 PM
Jaime Fernández (born in 1993, just turned 17). He's had a couple of great outings with Estudiantes in both EuroCup and ACB League.
Gotta keep an eye on this kid.

mountainballer
11-29-2010, 10:44 AM
So apparently Chace Stanback is a shooter now. That makes him interesting.
http://twitter.com/ShamSports/status/9069639669653504

:toast. at least sham has taken notice about the development of Stanback. DX should write a profile at some point. kid should be ranked as a sure fire 2nd rounder at this point. already working his way up to 1st round IMO.

mountainballer
11-29-2010, 12:01 PM
My favorite college team, Villanova, seems to have the best back court in the country.
Smith and Irving might disagree.
and it's hard to say if the season start of Washington State was a fluke, but their back court (surprise Faisal Aden and Klay Thompson) look like an unbelievable one two punch.
however, Villanova is good. (pretty small in the back court though)

Darkwaters
12-21-2010, 11:09 AM
Witherspoon was my preseason pick for the spurs. Glad to see I'm not the only one to think so.

mountainballer
12-21-2010, 11:27 AM
unfortunately he just had to undergo a knee surgery (right knee cartilage tear) and will be out till mid to end of January. (he will miss about 10 games)
so hopefully he can come back healthy enough to contribute. if he can't and risks to drop out of the 1st round, I don't see him enter the draft 2011.

Darkwaters
12-23-2010, 01:50 PM
Xavi Rabaseda looks like a good pick for the 2nd round. With this being a weak draft he could go pretty high in the second as a nice draft n' stash prospect. If hes there when we pick though I definitely think you have to give some thought to him.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Xavi-Rabaseda-5876/

Chieflion
12-24-2010, 07:09 AM
Not one eye-popping prospect thus far. Sort of a good news since the Spurs have the best record at the moment.

Darkwaters
01-01-2011, 12:08 PM
Anybody know anything about Gary Flowers from Southern Miss? 6'8 PF that probably could make the transition to the 3 or a small ball PF. Not currently on any of the mocks. Late 2nd rounder maybe?

SenorSpur
01-01-2011, 03:50 PM

On the contrary, I'd say the Spurs glaring weakness is lack of size and length in the frontcourt. They need another big that can rebound, defend, block shots and generate some passable offense from the block. With Duncan's gradual decline, so goes the Spurs points frontcourt defense and points in the paint.

It would appear there is a lack of such bigs in the first round of the 2011 draft class. If that turns out to be the case, I hold out hope that Marcus Cousin may be able to fit the bill, as a young, incoming developmental big.

Otherwise, I'd prefer to see one of those mid-level SFs (Witherspoon, Harris perhaps even Honeycutt) as the target.

Bruno
01-01-2011, 06:09 PM
On the contrary, I'd say the Spurs glaring weakness is lack of size and length in the frontcourt. They need another big that can rebound, defend, block shots and generate some passable offense from the block. With Duncan's gradual decline, so goes the Spurs points frontcourt defense and points in the paint.

A starting frontcourt of Blair and Duncan with Bonner and Splitter as backups looks fine on the paper for 2011-2012. Add to that a vet with a min salary in the Ratliff mold and it should work.
Spurs could draft a big but they won't really need him next year.

It would appear there is a lack of such bigs in the first round of the 2011 draft class. If that turns out to be the case, I hold out hope that Marcus Cousin may be able to fit the bill, as a young, incoming developmental big.

To me, Ryan Richards is a light year more interesting prospect than Marcus Cousin. I wouldn't be surprised to see Spurs signing Cousin in March like they did last year with Jerrells and Gee but the true good prospect is the 7'1" 19 years old kid.

objective
01-01-2011, 06:37 PM
is Richards still rehabbing in San Antonio?

And does anyone know when his contract in the ACB is over? Basically, is there a chance for him to be a Spur next season or is he still years away from wearing a suit behind the bench on the inactive list.

Bruno
01-02-2011, 10:59 AM
Richards is under contract until 2012 but if Spurs want him as soon as next year, it should be easy and quite cheap to get him.

Darkwaters
01-02-2011, 05:25 PM
There doesn't seem to be any quality bigs in this draft whatsoever. It's incredibly disappointing. The Spurs are probably going to have to look the way of the wing this upcoming year. A PG could be had too...but the Spurs really don't need one.

It's upsetting, because the one thing I think the Spurs need most is a developmental shot blocker. Honestly, a player somewhat in the mold of a Serge Ibaka would be incredible find for us.

8FOR!3
01-02-2011, 06:06 PM
Ryan Richards is a 7 footer who's only 19 and can still really improve and put on some muscle. He can shoot the outside shot and I think if he would've waited a few more years he probably would've gone in the first round to somebody.

mountainballer
01-03-2011, 11:47 AM
I really think a trade of the 2011 trade is the most likely scenario.
(I also think that the rumors about trade talks between Spurs and Knicks about this pick did have some legs)
this trade could also be a trade down scenario that ends in a draft&stash like De Colo and Richards.
2011 draft really doesn't look intriguing at all and picking at the very end doesn't help either.

and Spurs currently don't need another typical 1st round pick.
in Neal they "won" more or less a non planned 1st round pick, considering he delivers what you usually hope to get from a 1st rounder and he is locked up for 3 cheap years. (in fact he is even cheaper than a 1st rounder)

Mel_13
01-03-2011, 12:15 PM
I really think a trade of the 2011 trade is the most likely scenario.
(I also think that the rumors about trade talks between Spurs and Knicks about this pick did have some legs)
this trade could also be a trade down scenario that ends in a draft&stash like De Colo and Richards.
2011 draft really doesn't look intriguing at all and picking at the very end doesn't help either.

and Spurs currently don't need another typical 1st round pick.
in Neal they "won" more or less a non planned 1st round pick, considering he delivers what you usually hope to get from a 1st rounder and he is locked up for 3 cheap years. (in fact he is even cheaper than a 1st rounder)

I agree.

The potential effects of a long lockout must be considered. If a lockout appears imminent, then we can expect many early-entry candidates to remain in college for an additional year rather than risk being caught in limbo. That will make the 2011 draft relatively weak and the 2012 draft relatively deep. If the 2011 pick can be used in a trade to bolster this year's roster or moved for a pick in 2012 the Spurs should do it.

Mr. Body
01-03-2011, 02:50 PM
There seem to be a lot of SFs and swing-types in the last third of the first round, but I don't see the Spurs keeping a #30 pick, instead trading it away.

Bruno
01-03-2011, 05:35 PM
The potential effects of a long lockout must be considered. If a lockout appears imminent, then we can expect many early-entry candidates to remain in college for an additional year rather than risk being caught in limbo.

Agree and the new NCAA rule saying that players must decide to stay or go back to school in early May instead of mid June will even hurt more the 2011 draft. I doubt there will have an agreement for a new CBA in early May.

Spurs' pick at the very end of the first round will have very little trade value. Spurs shouldn't been able to get a lot for it if they want to trade it. I can see them making a big gamble on an unknown.

jjktkk
01-03-2011, 07:03 PM
Agree and the new NCAA rule saying that players must decide to stay or go back to school in early May instead of mid June will even hurt more the 2011 draft. I doubt there will have an agreement for a new CBA in early May.

Spurs' pick at the very end of the first round will have very little trade value. Spurs shouldn't been able to get a lot for it if they want to trade it. I can see them making a big gamble on an unknown.

Although all late round picks are a gamble somewhat, I wouldn't want the Spurs to use their 1st round pick on a complete unknown. Thats what 2nd round picks should used be for IMO.

mountainballer
01-04-2011, 04:40 AM
[/B]

Although all late round picks are a gamble somewhat, I wouldn't want the Spurs to use their 1st round pick on a complete unknown. Thats what 2nd round picks should used be for IMO.

that's why I thought they might/should look to trade down.
Cleveland? Cavs reportedly are looking to stockpile 1st rounders and will have a high 2nd rounder (currently #34) plus the Thunder 2nd rounder.

jjktkk
01-04-2011, 04:51 AM
that's why I thought they might/should look to trade down.
Cleveland? Cavs reportedly are looking to stockpile 1st rounders and will have a high 2nd rounder (currently #34) plus the Thunder 2nd rounder.

Good points. That is something the Spurs should be interested in. But would the Cavs be interested in the Spurs late 1st rounder?

mountainballer
01-04-2011, 05:06 AM
Good points. That is something the Spurs should be interested in. But would the Cavs be interested in the Spurs late 1st rounder?

reports say they are looking for 1st rounders for their rebuilding thing. a late 1st rounder is still a 1st rounder.

Bruno
01-04-2011, 01:31 PM

When I said "unknown", it isn't unknown to other NBA teams but unknown to fans.

It looks like a very late first round pick in this draft could be the equivalent of a mid second round pick in an average draft. I doubt there will have a lot of interesting traditional prospect left, that is to say a player coming from a big college. Instead of picking an average player from a big college, I can see Spurs gambling on a small college player (like Hill) or a very young European player (like Mahinmi).

yavozerb
01-04-2011, 02:33 PM
Ya, this yrs draft should be interesting for the spurs. They have already seemed to infuse some quality younger players into the fold over the last 2 yrs and with Mcdyess possibly retiring and TD and manu both getting a yr older, this offseason (along with the draft) could be more of the same. Best player available always seems to be the spurs gameplan, but a big is a must either by FA or draft.

yavozerb
01-04-2011, 02:43 PM
A player like Jeremy Tyler would be perfect in my opinon. A young big who could be sent down to Austin for a couple of yrs to refine his game.

mountainballer
01-05-2011, 09:23 AM
Jeremy Tyler. really? the kid that quit high school to become a pro in Israel and now is playing in the joke league in Japan, where he usually fouls out in a shorter time than Ian fouled out in his Euroleague season?
Ryan Richards (who is more or less the same player) will be NBA ready before this guy is even D-league ready.

mountainballer
01-05-2011, 10:14 AM
btw. international pick.
beside the lock out / CBA issues there are some more reasons that a switch of picks to 2012 might be a good strategy.
the 2012 international class looks more intriguing than the 2011 class. especially outside the projected lottery picks Motiejunas and Vesely. (who as well might not declare 2011, if the new CBA isn't agreed)
Radosevic, Zubcic, Milutinovic, Djedovic and some more showed a nice development this season and might all end up as low 1st/high 2nd round players in 2012. if some of the 1991 born international players enter the 2012 draft as well (Lima, Mirotic, Satoransky, Musli) the 2012 class could become pretty deep in the international department. likely better to have 3 or 4 picks then, as opposed to have to pick from this years class.

pad300
01-05-2011, 12:02 PM
btw. international pick.
beside the lock out / CBA issues there are some more reasons that a switch of picks to 2012 might be a good strategy.
the 2012 international class looks more intriguing than the 2011 class. especially outside the projected lottery picks Motiejunas and Vesely. (who as well might not declare 2011, if the new CBA isn't agreed)
Radosevic, Zubcic, Milutinovic, Djedovic and some more showed a nice development this season and might all end up as low 1st/high 2nd round players in 2012. if some of the 1991 born international players enter the 2012 draft as well (Lima, Mirotic, Satoransky, Musli) the 2012 class could become pretty deep in the international department. likely better to have 3 or 4 picks then, as opposed to have to pick from this years class.
I am hoping for Vesely to end up pulling a Splitter so we can get him...

yavozerb
01-05-2011, 01:00 PM
Jeremy Tyler. really? the kid that quit high school to become a pro in Israel and now is playing in the joke league in Japan, where he usually fouls out in a shorter time than Ian fouled out in his Euroleague season?
Ryan Richards (who is more or less the same player) will be NBA ready before this guy is even D-league ready.

Ya that kid...Tylers biggest issue is between the ears. If I remember right, the same things were being said about jennings after he did little overseas. Tyler was the top high school player just 2 yrs ago, he has some skills, and simply needs some guidance. Richards is just as a big question mark as Tyler is. Please explain to me why you think Richards is more NBA ready? He is simply about 2 yrs older and has just as limited basketball experience as Tyler does.

mountainballer
01-05-2011, 06:52 PM
Ya that kid...Tylers biggest issue is between the ears. If I remember right, the same things were being said about jennings after he did little overseas. Tyler was the top high school player just 2 yrs ago, he has some skills, and simply needs some guidance. Richards is just as a big question mark as Tyler is. Please explain to me why you think Richards is more NBA ready? He is simply about 2 yrs older and has just as limited basketball experience as Tyler does.

Richards is exactly the same age like Tyler. (to be precisely, Richards is 6 weeks older). and I don't think Richards is NBA ready. not even close. what I said is that he will be NBA ready, maybe in two or three years. because he has some skills, the size and the work ethic. Tyler lacks the latter.

however. we are discussing as if the Spurs could be in the situation to choose one of this two in the next draft.
but Richards already IS a Spurs pick.
what I tried to say:
Tyler isn't a good idea at all. never.
and the fact that the Spurs already have a prospect in the pipeline, who plays the same position, who has the same size, who has similar skills and who is of the same age, makes a bad idea even worse.

btw. to compare Tyler's trip to Europe to Jennings is a bit strange. yes, Jennings didn't exactly star (which were just exaggerated expectations for a 18 years old), but he was far from a bust playing in the best basketball competition outside the NBA. (7.6 PPG in the Euroleague).
that's quite a difference to Tyler's 2.1 PPG in the Israel domestic league. (before being put on the inactive list for leaving a game at halftime to protest against his coach because he didn't put him on the court)

objective
01-05-2011, 07:37 PM

That seems like reaching there.

The same things about Jennings?

Maturity-wise, here's some things said about Jennings during his first season overseas:

Despite the fact that his playing time has largely evaporated over the past six weeks, Jennings is taking everything in stride, handling himself with maturity not found amongst players 10 years his senior here in Europe. “That’s just the hand I’ve been dealt” Jennings says with a smile and shrug. “If I could do it all over again, I probably would have signed with a smaller team, but things haven’t worked out that bad.”

One year ago we got the chance to see Jennings practice, scrimmage and play ... A few months prior to that, we saw him lead his Oak Hill squad to victory in the Hoophall Classic ... Comparing the Brandon Jennings we saw then with what we’re seeing now might make you rub your eyes in disbelief.

Gone is the brash, arrogant teenager with the Kid ’N Play style flat-top who dominated the ball in absolute fashion and looked first and foremost for his own shot, his stats and the ultimate high-light play. In his place is a much more mature, respectful young man, always cheering on his teammates, showing great body language and painstakingly trying to do what his coaches ask of him, almost to a fault at times.
- DX (http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Brandon-Jennings-Biding-his-Time-in-Rome-3212/)

On what Europe has helped him improve on:
“Maturity. I’m more mature. I’ve handled it well so far. I’m learning something now.

-On being benched abruptly early in the 3rd quarter:
“I made a couple of fouls. It was my mistake. We were trying to make a run. I can’t complain. If we’re here winning, I can’t complain. I’m sure I’ll play more now.” - DX (http://www.draftexpress.com/article/-Blogging-Through-Europe-2008-Part-Six-Spain-2--3063/)

even from mid-November (http://www.draftexpress.com/article/European-Roundup-Jennings-Managing-Expectations-3042/) of that first year in europe, there was really only good things from DX:

its hard not to come away impressed by how he’s fared, all things considered. He walked into a very difficult situation and seems to be making the best of it thus far, holding his own against hostile crowds and tough gyms in places like Vitoria, Berlin and Ljubljana. There is absolutely no question that he will become a significantly better player from the experience he’s gaining every day

Play wise, there's probably scores of quotes I could pull from DX about the good in his game and what he needed to work on, plus quotes breaking down exactly what he was doing to work on his game that were impressive. And he was playing close to 20 minutes a game in a good league.

Aside from DX, Gail Goodrich told Bill Simmons while covering Jennings performances in Italy that Jennings "was going to be good, he'll be a really good pro player", the story is related in his 6-25-10 podcast.

How does that compare to Tyler?

Let's see:

one-game suspension for being ejected from a game following a altercation in which he reportedly head-butted an opponent

NYT (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/08/sports/basketball/08tyler.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1): His coach calls him lazy and out of shape. The team captain says he is soft. His teammates say he needs to learn to shut up and show up on time.

“All he had to do was go and do what Brandon did, shut up and go learn,” said Sonny Vaccaro, an adviser to Tyler and Jennings. “He obviously isn’t doing that. He thinks that he’s Kevin Garnett.” ...

For missing a workout and showing up late to an interview, Tyler was fined $1,000, the largest penalty the team had levied in three years. ...

At his apartment, Tyler said, neighbors have called the police three times with complaints that he was playing music too loud. ...

Discussing his problems, Tyler tended to point fingers. Asked about his immaturity, he said his teammates should treat him like a man. Asked about his reluctance to work and listen to his coaches, he said he was skeptical of their knowledge and methods.

He also quit on the team and left with 5 weeks to go (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5008825).

Last month, he walked out on the team at halftime to protest not getting more minutes. For the last three games, he sat on the bench not wearing a uniform after being left off the Haifa squad.

He averaged about 8 minutes in Israel and now he's averaging 16 minutes a game in Japan.

I'm not discounting that he could be drafted as he's automatically eligible (DX has him 74). Maybe he has improved his maturity in Japan, though I don't know if hanging out with Robert Swift will help that or his work ethic.

The best thing to help him would be if he's grown a bit. He was at the 2010 combine and while he had solid size he wasn't the super-beast people are led to believe. He was 1.5 inches smaller than Richards for instance, and that was Richards at the combine, allegedly Richards has gained another 1.5.

------

As for whether Richards is more ready than Tyler . . . I guess it's a coin-flip. Richards also played 1st division euro quality, albeit in a Swiss league. That was on loan from GC, and according to RR in his interviews (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QExcbYRrYCA) that was because he was waiting on a different player's passport issues freeing up a spot for him with GC, but after a quarter of the season they instead loaned him out, though I wouldn't be surprised if that's a 'best possible light' perspective. According to EP (http://www.europeanprospects.com/1991-born/center-1991-born/ryan-richards/ryan-richards-the-next-step-in-a-career-odyssey/) he went to the Swiss after a "unsuccessful test for a loan to Virtus Bologna"

He does have the same 'hype' pedigree though, if you could call it that. He was the youngest ever at the Nike Hoop Summit at 15 and DX did give him 'lottery potential' at that age.

The biggest difference as to why RR would be more NBA ready is his game.

I've found nothing nowhere that gave Tyler's game as anything but power. Whether it was Israel or even in Japan, it was pretty much only dunks. Richards however has demonstrated an impressive offensive game even though facing similar scrub competition: 3 point range, decent handles for his size, nice touch.

Plus a year in the Spurs 'sphere of influence' if you will already, having hung around and been at the practice facility a fair amount.

yavozerb
01-06-2011, 11:29 AM
That seems like reaching there.

The same things about Jennings?

Maturity-wise, here's some things said about Jennings during his first season overseas:

even from mid-November (http://www.draftexpress.com/article/European-Roundup-Jennings-Managing-Expectations-3042/) of that first year in europe, there was really only good things from DX:

Play wise, there's probably scores of quotes I could pull from DX about the good in his game and what he needed to work on, plus quotes breaking down exactly what he was doing to work on his game that were impressive. And he was playing close to 20 minutes a game in a good league.

Aside from DX, Gail Goodrich told Bill Simmons while covering Jennings performances in Italy that Jennings "was going to be good, he'll be a really good pro player", the story is related in his 6-25-10 podcast.

How does that compare to Tyler?

Let's see:

He also quit on the team and left with 5 weeks to go (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5008825).

He averaged about 8 minutes in Israel and now he's averaging 16 minutes a game in Japan.

I'm not discounting that he could be drafted as he's automatically eligible (DX has him 74). Maybe he has improved his maturity in Japan, though I don't know if hanging out with Robert Swift will help that or his work ethic.

The best thing to help him would be if he's grown a bit. He was at the 2010 combine and while he had solid size he wasn't the super-beast people are led to believe. He was 1.5 inches smaller than Richards for instance, and that was Richards at the combine, allegedly Richards has gained another 1.5.

------

As for whether Richards is more ready than Tyler . . . I guess it's a coin-flip. Richards also played 1st division euro quality, albeit in a Swiss league. That was on loan from GC, and according to RR in his interviews (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QExcbYRrYCA) that was because he was waiting on a different player's passport issues freeing up a spot for him with GC, but after a quarter of the season they instead loaned him out, though I wouldn't be surprised if that's a 'best possible light' perspective. According to EP (http://www.europeanprospects.com/1991-born/center-1991-born/ryan-richards/ryan-richards-the-next-step-in-a-career-odyssey/) he went to the Swiss after a "unsuccessful test for a loan to Virtus Bologna"

He does have the same 'hype' pedigree though, if you could call it that. He was the youngest ever at the Nike Hoop Summit at 15 and DX did give him 'lottery potential' at that age.

The biggest difference as to why RR would be more NBA ready is his game.

I've found nothing nowhere that gave Tyler's game as anything but power. Whether it was Israel or even in Japan, it was pretty much only dunks. Richards however has demonstrated an impressive offensive game even though facing similar scrub competition: 3 point range, decent handles for his size, nice touch.

Plus a year in the Spurs 'sphere of influence' if you will already, having hung around and been at the practice facility a fair amount.

Wow, didnt mean to waste an hour of your day with the tyler comment, nice work though..

objective
01-06-2011, 03:51 PM
Wow, didnt mean to waste an hour of your day with the tyler comment, nice work though..

less than 10 minutes actually.

I had been reviewing all the Richards materials I could find the just the day before your post. Among the things I looked at beyond videos were his DX entries, links, and combine stats and saw Tyler in the combine and took a look at him in comparison, just coincidental timing.

DesignatedT
01-25-2011, 06:10 PM
Singler would be an interesting option although he might go wayyy before our pick. I also like PG Jimmer Fredette from BYU if we end up with a 28-30th pick. Should definitely concentrate on that wing position though unless we address it via trade after the season. I could definitely see us trading this pick for a veteran player who might be able to help. I am also high on Forwards Jordan Hamilton from Texas, Justin Harper from Richmond and Jon Leuer from Wisconsin. It's early though.

mountainballer
01-26-2011, 10:48 AM
I'm a huge fan of Fredette. wasn't sure if he will get drafted at all, but after those shows he delivered in the last weeks he looks like a lock at late 1st high 2nd round. considering that Quinn was able to find his niche with the Spurs, Fredette might either. b/c he is better than Quinn.

Chieflion
01-26-2011, 07:43 PM
Kawhi Leonard from San Diego State looks like an interesting prospect. He is going to be 20 years old in the 2011 draft. Not that good a 3 point shooter. He is a SF who rebounds in double figures. I like the way he has his turnovers down and has a positive assist to turnover ratio, given his style of play. In 31.8 minutes, he also only averages 2.5 fouls per game. That's nice to see too.

Vic Petro
01-27-2011, 04:45 PM
Yeah but Leonard and Fredette will both be long gone by the time the Spurs pick, barring injury. Both teams are going to make the tournament so they'll be visible...unless they completely crap out their workouts they'll both go top 20 at worst.

Justin Harper looks like a good fit and I think he's a more realistic target.

jjktkk
01-27-2011, 06:21 PM
Was watching the Horns, Cowboys game last night and Fran Fraschilla made an interesting comment that Texas's Dogus Balbay's game can translate to the NBA. For those unfamiliar with Balbay, he is a really good defender and rebounder at the pg position. Balbay is also a solid distributor and has a uncanny knack for making plays. Balbay's major weakness is his lack of a jumpshot. Franschilla acknowledged Balbay's lack of perimeter shooting ability, but still maintained that Balbay's game transitions to the NBA. Just thought that Franschilla's comments were interesting, because I have never thought of Balbay as an NBA prospect.

DesignatedT
01-28-2011, 12:49 AM
no thank you to balbay

ColinB
01-28-2011, 02:54 AM
As much as I like Balbay, (actually had a psychology class with him at UT, nice guy) there is no way I see him playing in the NBA. He'll probably play overseas. He is having a hell of a defensive year though. Totally shut down Page in that OSU game. I do think he is an underrated passer, but dude can't hit a shot from 8 feet. Doesn't help his case that he is 6 feet either.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-30-2011, 12:27 AM
Interesting discussion. Thanks to all for the insights. :toast

Mal
02-05-2011, 06:43 PM
As for now, my picks with 30th would be JaJuan Johnson of Purdue or Singler from Duke. What do you think of it ?

jjktkk
02-05-2011, 07:58 PM
As for now, my picks with 30th would be JaJuan Johnson of Purdue or Singler from Duke. What do you think of it ?

Love Johnson, but I think he will be gone by pick 30. Jurys still out on Singler. Hard to evaluate tweeners.

yavozerb
02-05-2011, 08:59 PM
Love Johnson, but I think he will be gone by pick 30. Jurys still out on Singler. Hard to evaluate tweeners.

I have no doubt that if singler is still there at the end of the draft (which I doubt) that the spurs would take him. Recent history indicates they are willing to ignore the NBA rumors about players and simply go with the facts (college stats, ie. blair and JA). Singler has had a great college career and I would love to see him in a spurs uni.

Biggems
02-05-2011, 11:14 PM
The only 2 players I want from the draft at this moment are Jordan Hamilton, who we have absolutely no shot at, and Keith Benson, who is listed as an early to mid second round prospect right now.

ChuckD
02-06-2011, 11:10 AM

Tyler's biggest issue is the people he surrounds himself with. Pop can't teach the kid if Sonny Vaccaro is picking him up from practice and telling him Pop isn't playing him enough.

He's one of those over-entitled AAU/shoe camp kids. Until he has the realization that he isn't very fucking good, and that he'd better start listening to coaches who are trying to make him good, he'll never get a sniff from the Spurs. That realization could take 5 years or more.

ChuckD
02-06-2011, 11:16 AM

Tony Parker and George Hill say hello. :toast

Darkwaters
02-06-2011, 02:00 PM

:p:

jjktkk
02-06-2011, 02:01 PM

I was more worried about the Spurs drafting a foreign player and doing a draft and stash, because of the uncertainty of a cba.

TDMVPDPOY
02-06-2011, 05:08 PM
I was more worried about the Spurs drafting a foreign player and doing a draft and stash, because of the uncertainty of a cba.

imo our team is to stacked atm to make use any draft picks

i see draft and stash imo...

Darkwaters
02-06-2011, 06:30 PM

I wouldn't mind Xavi Rabaseda

elemento
02-07-2011, 01:59 AM
I'm not following the 2011 prospects. Any decent prospect in the range of late 1st and 2nd rounds?

You guys think the Spurs will gamble in this draft or they're gonna get the best possible player, not matter the position he plays ?

tuncaboylu
02-07-2011, 08:13 AM
If Antonio McDyess won't retire this summer, which I hope so, i don't think that we will draft a front-court player. I don't know how James Anderson adjust after his injury, but if he can adjust, we would draft a back up PG this year. It would be better to add depth to our rotation behibnd Parker-Manu-Hill.

Demetri McCamey seems a good disher and extraordinary shooter in our range. Darius Morris is also a good PG who will be available when we draft.

ChuckD
02-07-2011, 09:36 PM
I'm not following the 2011 prospects. Any decent prospect in the range of late 1st and 2nd rounds?

You guys think the Spurs will gamble in this draft or they're gonna get the best possible player, not matter the position he plays ?

That's usually the way they roll. Players are assets, and if you're overloaded at one position, it opens trade possibilities, or maxes out your rotation depth. In 2008, we probably really needed a front court player, with Splitter stuck in Spain, but they went with George Hill anyway, because there was no big that had his upside that late in the first.

Darkwaters
02-08-2011, 01:46 PM
That's usually the way they roll. Players are assets, and if you're overloaded at one position, it opens trade possibilities, or maxes out your rotation depth. In 2008, we probably really needed a front court player, with Splitter stuck in Spain, but they went with George Hill anyway, because there was no big that had his upside that late in the first.

When talking about draft selection theory there are typically two schools of thought: need and best player available. Both have merit and are useful in different circumstances.

The Spurs have the benefit of being both a very complete team with quality players at every position and a very deep squad across the board. They could use either theory successfully.

Drafting for need wouldn't be out of the question...but I'm not sure which need we'd be looking to fill. A big is the most pressing need down the road (especially if McDyess DOES retire) but this draft doesn't promise many quality options. We generally look good at PG with Parker as an elite starter, Hill a stellar lead guard (sans the point guard skills), and Quinn a capable fill-in. At the wing we're pretty savvy too with Ginobili and Jefferson as strong starters and a surprisingly capable crop of rookies backing them up in Neal and Anderson. Plus, Hill does a great job at the 2.

If I were to rank our highest needs they'd probably look something like this:

1) Shot blocking big
2) Big long SF defender (Small Ball PF type)
3) Shooting PF
4) 3 point shooting PG with PG & Pic'n'roll skills
5) Shooter at any position

Of course, when you've got a quality rotation at pretty much every position you don't have to draft for need at all. Best player available is probably the more equitable option. If two players have seemingly equal ability/potential then you could return to your pre-identified "needs" listed above.

A third thing to consider is fit. Some players might be phenomenal talents but would not be good players for us. Head cases, primadonnas and troubled youths aren't a smart choice for San Antonio. Also, wing players without a shot, players completely unwilling to play defense or those strongly lacking in BBIQ aren't good fits either.

Of all the needs listed the ones that are likely the easiest to be filled with the stated "needs" are the two:

1) Big long SF defender
2) 3 pt shooting PG with PG & pic'n'roll skills

We've talked about the big 3's at length. Honestly, a respectable PG might be had in this draft - more likely than a big at least. If we find one that works he can take over the regular back-up PG skills and Hill could transition to the 2 full-time.

Just a thought.

Darkwaters
02-08-2011, 01:59 PM
Demetri McCamey seems a good disher and extraordinary shooter in our range.

Ding ding ding ding ding!

Strong passer, good shooter, high BBIQ and good size at 6'3.

A wing might make more sense, but this guy would be a solid pick and might be the BPA when our turn comes up. Hes a senior too so no presumed upside. I hope hes an option.

Bruno
02-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Among French players, Antoine Diot (automatically eligible) would be a heck of a second round pick. The only player I think is worth gambling a first round pick is Evan Fournier (born in 1992).

Darkwaters
02-09-2011, 08:07 AM
Do you think Fournier would declare? Hes only 18.

Also, is he a better draft 'n stash prospect than Xavi Rabaseda?

yavozerb
02-09-2011, 09:56 AM
I wouldn't mind Xavi Rabaseda

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP4fAYgioyw
http://www.marca.com/2011/01/24/baloncesto/acb/1295871143.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSMEPos4mEM

Looks like a very good late rd pick to me...

Bruno
02-09-2011, 11:39 AM
Do you think Fournier would declare? Hes only 18.

Also, is he a better draft 'n stash prospect than Xavi Rabaseda?

It could take a first round promise for Fournier to enter in the draft and stay in it. Given Spurs weak first round pick and the weakness of the draft, promising the first round pick wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea.

Rabaseda is in Barcelona's net. He may be an interesting player but good luck with luring him out of Spain. When looking at European players for the draft, contract/personal situation should be closely monitored. There even have now players like Raduljica and Shved who asked not to be drafted. Barring the new CBA changes a lot the rookie salaries/contracts, spending a late first round pick, with all its financial restrictions, on a player like to the best team in Europe doesn't seem wise.

Darkwaters
02-10-2011, 03:49 PM
Good point about Rabaseda and Barcelona. He is Catalonian as well to top it all off making him even more valuable in league play to his team. You're right to think he might never leave.

It definitely looks like the Spurs will be drafting last this season with the 30th and 60th picks. That, coupled with an unusually weak draft crop, means that their pick will likely be spent on long-shot players. Plus they won't have a whole lot of trade value. Draft n' stash seems to make a fair amount of sense as a result.

If you're going to take a player in the draft and keep him then you'll probably needs to look at players that play to the strengths of the draft. SF's and PG's are in vogue this year with more raw ability at the wing and more refinement at the lead guard.

Demetri McCamey is very intriguing to me because of where hes slated to go and how good he looks.

At 60 it's definitely a crap shoot. It will probably have zero trade value, and you won't find anyone you're likely to keep that late, so international is only natural. Who are some of the deep options for 60?

Antoine Diot
Milan Macvan
Xavi Rabaseda - if by some miracle his contract scares all suitors away I think you pull the trigger at 60 just because

jjktkk
02-10-2011, 04:12 PM
Good point about Rabaseda and Barcelona. He is Catalonian as well to top it all off making him even more valuable in league play to his team. You're right to think he might never leave.

It definitely looks like the Spurs will be drafting last this season with the 30th and 60th picks. That, coupled with an unusually weak draft crop, means that their pick will likely be spent on long-shot players. Plus they won't have a whole lot of trade value. Draft n' stash seems to make a fair amount of sense as a result.

If you're going to take a player in the draft and keep him then you'll probably needs to look at players that play to the strengths of the draft. SF's and PG's are in vogue this year with more raw ability at the wing and more refinement at the lead guard.

Demetri McCamey is very intriguing to me because of where hes slated to go and how good he looks.

At 60 it's definitely a crap shoot. It will probably have zero trade value, and you won't find anyone you're likely to keep that late, so international is only natural. Who are some of the deep options for 60?

Antoine Diot
Milan Macvan
Xavi Rabaseda - if by some miracle his contract scares all suitors away I think you pull the trigger at 60 just because

I wonder if the Spurs might consider sending future draft picks to the Toros instead of overseas? Might be a case by case basis, but I'm curious if picks they make who need developing, automatically get loaned out to overseas teams, or does it depend on what stage the player is at in terms of development?

yavozerb
02-10-2011, 04:25 PM
I wonder if the Spurs might consider sending future draft picks to the Toros instead of overseas? Might be a case by case basis, but I'm curious if picks they make who need developing, automatically get loaned out to overseas teams, or does it depend on what stage the player is at in terms of development?

I fully expect to see jerrels and Gist in camp next season for another shot at making the roster. Would not be bad idea to start stocking austin or international teams with possible prospects with these low end draft picks and see if any can develop.

Darkwaters
02-10-2011, 04:29 PM
I fully expect to see jerrels and Gist in camp next season for another shot at making the roster. Would not be bad idea to start stocking austin or international teams with possible prospects with these low end draft picks and see if any can develop.

Well they've actually been working on that for the last couple of years:

Ryan Richards
Nando de Colo

Also, Jack McClinton was an attempt at the same thing and James Gist was overseas for several years with his rights still held by the Spurs until last season when he was waived after training camp.

yavozerb
02-10-2011, 04:54 PM
Well they've actually been working on that for the last couple of years:

Ryan Richards
Nando de Colo

Also, Jack McClinton was an attempt at the same thing and James Gist was overseas for several years with his rights still held by the Spurs until last season when he was waived after training camp.

I was talking about trying to get more players to Austin (ie ian mahinmi) I realize the international pipeline has been open for many years. thanks though.

sinok
02-10-2011, 07:39 PM
I was talking about trying to get more players to Austin (ie ian mahinmi) I realize the international pipeline has been open for many years. thanks though.
The thing is that the D-League is nowhere near the level of competition in Europe, maybe around less valuable national euro championships. So on the one hand you have the players at your disposal near you and you raise them in the mold, on the other hand the players will play against far better opponents in europe, and wil get accustomed to real competition. So it might depend on the skills of the players. Lowly skilled player would really benefit the Austin experience, as they won't have the required level to play in high level clubs in Europe. For highly skilled players, that should be the contrary, cause as soon as they crack the rotation in europe, they will learn far more.

Not sure Gary Neal would have been the player he is without playing in europe (the same for Manu).

ChuckD
02-10-2011, 08:56 PM
The thing is that the D-League is nowhere near the level of competition in Europe...
Not only that, the pay is shit. Someone was saying in another thread that Larry Owens made more in his two 10 day contracts ($52,000 for 10 games) than he will for the total d-league season. A decent American player has no problem making a couple hundred $K per season in Europe.

Darkwaters
02-11-2011, 04:36 AM
Not only that, the pay is shit. Someone was saying in another thread that Larry Owens made more in his two 10 day contracts ($52,000 for 10 games) than he will for the total d-league season. A decent American player has no problem making a couple hundred $K per season in Europe.

That was actually me that said that. And it's true. A D-League player makes somwhere between 20k to 30k with housing expenses paid. So a 10 day contract or two is HUGE for them as it doubles or even triples their income. We did a huge solid to Garrett Temple, Curtis Jerrells, Alonzo Gee and the likes by subsidizing their living.

Also, a training camp invite pays significant cash (maybe 10k to 15k) and can significantly help a player stay "local" in the US with the D-League.

Median pay in the US for ANY job is 42k per year. The D-League will continue to remain a very weak league until its players start making more than poverty payments.

spurnash
02-11-2011, 03:25 PM
The only 2 players I want from the draft at this moment are Jordan Hamilton, who we have absolutely no shot at, and Keith Benson, who is listed as an early to mid second round prospect right now.

I really like Keith Benson as the last pick of the first round. I love D. Blair, but if he is a long term Spur (post Duncan) it is essential that we acquire talented 6'11" - 7' bigs to keep us from being a short team. It is really hard to find these guys without a glaring weakness (otherwise they are a top 5 pick). What I like about Benson is his defense fits in with the spurs (#1 in the NCAA in blocks) but he gets knocked for his body mass and being a finesse player. I am not saying this guy can be Pau Gasol, but if he puts on some weight he could turn into a very nice fit. It is afterall going to be the last pick in the first and i don't see very many great targets.

Darkwaters
02-12-2011, 01:33 PM
I really like Keith Benson as the last pick of the first round. I love D. Blair, but if he is a long term Spur (post Duncan) it is essential that we acquire talented 6'11" - 7' bigs to keep us from being a short team. It is really hard to find these guys without a glaring weakness (otherwise they are a top 5 pick). What I like about Benson is his defense fits in with the spurs (#1 in the NCAA in blocks) but he gets knocked for his body mass and being a finesse player. I am not saying this guy can be Pau Gasol, but if he puts on some weight he could turn into a very nice fit. It is afterall going to be the last pick in the first and i don't see very many great targets.

Benson is an interesting prospect to consider. Hes a serious lightweight though thats also pretty seriously raw. On top of that hes playing at a pretty low level at Oakland - of course, IUPUI wasn't any more significant.

Hes one to keep your eye on, but hes definitely a long-term project. He might not really contribute for a few years.

Honestly, Benson could be a workout wonder with his excellent wingspan and quality athleticism. Considering the weak big man crop this draft I could see a team reaching for him pretty easily. Hes probably not worth taking above 30, but he very well could be gone.

SenorSpur
02-12-2011, 09:53 PM
Benson sounds like an interesting propsect. And I agree they should probably look at an athletic big. However given the fact that they took Ryan Richards in the 2nd round last year, if your the Spurs, would they really be seeking another big this season? Of course, there are no guarantees that either player will work out.

yavozerb
02-13-2011, 09:35 AM
Benson sounds like an interesting propsect. And I agree they should probably look at an athletic big. However given the fact that they took Ryan Richards in the 2nd round last year, if your the Spurs, would they really be seeking another big this season? Of course, there are no guarantees that either player will work out.

If the spurs have Benson on top of there board when they draft 29th or 30th then they will go after him. BPA = best player available, that is the spurs motto come draftday. It seems as though the spurs have mastered the art of drafting late in the draft since they have done it so often. Part of that is being patient and keeping your hand close to the vest.

ChuckD
02-13-2011, 10:51 AM
If Benson shows anything in workouts, he'll go in the lottery. Big men are always ovevalued and overdrafted. Look at Ekpi Udoh. He went in the lottery, and can barely hit the floor for a dreadful GS team. Teams "reach" more for bigs than any other position.

ajballer4
02-13-2011, 03:08 PM
If we're looking for a big man, I really like JaJuan Johnson from Purdue at the 30th pick. He's got a great shot.

jjktkk
02-13-2011, 03:31 PM
If we're looking for a big man, I really like JaJuan Johnson from Purdue at the 30th pick. He's got a great shot.

I don't see Johnson left on the board by pick #30. Would love to get him if he were there though.

Darkwaters
02-13-2011, 05:41 PM
I don't really see any desirable bigs in the draft at 30. There are several decent tall long SF's though that might be worth a long look and several guards. Although guard isn't a position of need, I'd rather get a player worthy of a spot in the rotation more than a big not even worthy of the small contract a number 30 would yield.

At 60 though the Spurs might be able to take Milan Macvan whom a number of posters were high on last year. That would give us two distinctly different kinds of bigs in the pipeline. I still would like a shotblocker project...something like Serge Ibaka. But you take whats available when you draft dead last.

ChuckD
02-14-2011, 10:26 PM
It's a shit draft, too. Spurs may just dump their first rounder, or draft and stash. Why pay a guarantee to a room temperature talent? They still have two twenty-somethings in Splitter and JA to incorporate into the rotation next year, and Richards to develop. We literally have young talent falling out of our assholes.

Darkwaters
02-15-2011, 05:34 AM
It's a shit draft, too. Spurs may just dump their first rounder, or draft and stash. Why pay a guarantee to a room temperature talent? They still have two twenty-somethings in Splitter and JA to incorporate into the rotation next year, and Richards to develop. We literally have young talent falling out of our assholes.

Valid point. I'm just not sure who you draft n' stash. Rabaseda made sense but Bruno brought up some valid concerns regarding him. Also, the 30th pick in an otherwise weak draft won't warrant much consideration from other teams. Best case scenario might be that we get a couple million in cash for it.

yavozerb
02-15-2011, 09:32 AM
With 11 players under contract next season (counting mcdyess) the spurs have many options for their late 1st rd pick. I would guess draft and stash for both picks unless a player falls to them they think very highly of. Basically, the coming draft and probably the offseason in general is going to be extremly boring for spurs fans.

xaxtoo
02-15-2011, 10:20 PM
What about Patric Young? He really hasn't been playing, but that's the only way I see him land to the Spurs, otherwise, he's probably gone.

From what I've seen of him play, he seems to play pretty smart and he does the little things which doesn't show up in his rather sad 3/3 line.

CGD
02-16-2011, 11:50 PM
This draft seems fairly weak to me, and I'd have no problem trading the 1st round pick away. Plus I don't think we have the same pressure of injecting youth as in the past especially since we have yet to see the full potential of Splitter & Anderson. Wonder if NJN or NYK are still scrambling to acquire 1st round picks to send to the Nuggets.

Bruno
02-17-2011, 02:58 PM
Nets have a ton of draft picks, they don't really need another very late first round.

Knicks, on the other hand, is the team that should offer the most to get Spurs' pick.
Knicks have a 2011 draft pick that is for the moment the 17th one. That's a great trade asset but they can't trade him because they have traded their 2012 draft pick and teams aren't allowed not to have a first round pick in two consecutive future drafts.
To use that "17th" 2011 draft pick in a Melo trade, Knicks need to get first an unprotected 2011 first round pick from another team. Spurs, given that they have the best record in the league, are the better candidate to give them their 2011 unprotected first round pick.
Knicks have some good second round pick coming from Warriors and Spurs could want Bill Walker.

A trade like Spurs 2011 first round pick to NY for $3M in cash and Warriors 2012 and 2013 second round picks would be great.

yavozerb
02-17-2011, 03:30 PM
Nets have a ton of draft picks, they don't really need another very late first round.

Knicks, on the other hand, is the team that should offer the most to get Spurs' pick.
Knicks have a 2011 draft pick that is for the moment the 17th one. That's a great trade asset but they can't trade him because they have traded their 2012 draft pick and teams aren't allowed not to have a first round pick in two consecutive future drafts.
To use that "17th" 2011 draft pick in a Melo trade, Knicks need to get first an unprotected 2011 first round pick from another team. Spurs, given that they have the best record in the league, are the better candidate to give them their 2011 unprotected first round pick.
Knicks have some good second round pick coming from Warriors and Spurs could want Bill Walker.

A trade like Spurs 2011 first round pick to NY for $3M in cash and Warriors 2012 and 2013 second round picks would be great.

Thats it, why stop there...:lol

bluebellmaniac
02-17-2011, 04:49 PM

I have great respect for Bruno, but I gotta admit... that does appear to ask a lot for the last pick of the 1st round... :-D

Should that have been in blue? ;-)

ChuckD
02-17-2011, 10:21 PM
Valid point. I'm just not sure who you draft n' stash. Rabaseda made sense but Bruno brought up some valid concerns regarding him. Also, the 30th pick in an otherwise weak draft won't warrant much consideration from other teams. Best case scenario might be that we get a couple million in cash for it.

I think at this point, you take that. There is about a 5% chance that any player taken there can even make the roster. Just dump it for cash and maybe a future pick. There are teams like NY and Denver that will be pick hunting and players taken at #30 CAN make their rosters. New York, in particular, will be decimated after the Melo trade.

Bruno
02-18-2011, 01:23 AM
I have great respect for Bruno, but I gotta admit... that does appear to ask a lot for the last pick of the 1st round... :-D

Should that have been in blue? ;-)

Very late first round pick are usually sold $3M but it's just before the draft when teams exactly know where they will pick and the pool of available players. Getting a first round pick at the trade deadline costs more. An additional cost of 2 second rounders seems reasonable given that Spurs will be in a damn strength position with Knicks.

tuncaboylu
02-18-2011, 03:06 AM
Very late first round pick are usually sold $3M but it's just before the draft when teams exactly know where they will pick and the pool of available players. Getting a first round pick at the trade deadline costs more. An additional cost of 2 second rounders seems reasonable given that Spurs will be in a damn strength position with Knicks.

Come on Bruno, it's a highway robbery :lol

Maybe we can only get 2012 Golden State 2nd round pick(which will be around 35-40) next to cash. 2 second round pick + 3M for 30th pick is a very optimist estimation.

Bruno
02-18-2011, 04:34 AM
Come on Bruno, it's a highway robbery :lol

Maybe we can only get 2012 Golden State 2nd round pick(which will be around 35-40) next to cash. 2 second round pick + 3M for 30th pick is a very optimist estimation.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

It isn't sure that Spurs end up with the best record this year, Spurs pick could be better than 30th. Warriors are the 12th worst team this year and they are young, their 2012 second round could easily be worse than 40th. The most important is that Spurs will have tons of leverage if Knicks need this pick to get Melo. Being robed of a second round pick is a very little price to pay to get a top 10 player.

tuncaboylu
02-18-2011, 05:11 AM
I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

It isn't sure that Spurs end up with the best record this year, Spurs pick could be better than 30th. Warriors are the 12th worst team this year and they are young, their 2012 second round could easily be worse than 40th. The most important is that Spurs will have tons of leverage if Knicks need this pick to get Melo. Being robed of a second round pick is a very little price to pay to get a top 10 player.

Don't forget 3M :)

Darkwaters
02-19-2011, 11:59 AM
Bruno's trade idea is the best case scenario I see. We don't really have any need for players but that pick swap would be huge for us. I doubt the 30th pick plays for us next year, but the additional high level 2nd's would be nice for future draft n' stash's as well as possible future DeJuan Blair's.

bluebellmaniac
02-19-2011, 08:38 PM
We have no need to tie up a roster spot and guarantee $ to a player who won't get playing time. That pick at the end of the 1st is horrible for draft n stash too. Too low a salary. If the draft n stash turns out to be awesome, he'd never come over. Trading the pick for 2nds is ideal, I agree.

Are we as Spur fans just smarter than other fans because of what we've learned from our front office? If I was Denver, I'd rather have the 2nds instead of that 1st round pick. But I suppose other teams don't think forward the way ours does.

pad300
02-19-2011, 11:33 PM
We have no need to tie up a roster spot and guarantee $ to a player who won't get playing time. That pick at the end of the 1st is horrible for draft n stash too. Too low a salary. If the draft n stash turns out to be awesome, he'd never come over. Trading the pick for 2nds is ideal, I agree.

Are we as Spur fans just smarter than other fans because of what we've learned from our front office? If I was Denver, I'd rather have the 2nds instead of that 1st round pick. But I suppose other teams don't think forward the way ours does.

Denver wouldn't get the spurs 30th pick. They would get this year's Knicks pick. The Spurs pick is needed so that the Knicks can trade their pick (the Stepien rule - you can't trade into a position where you will not have a 1st round pick for 2 years. The knicks have traded their 2012 1st already. They can't trade this years first without acquiring another 1st round pick somewhere...).

bluebellmaniac
02-20-2011, 01:11 AM
Ahhhhhh. Gotcha.

That makes Bruno's remarks really come into focus. I missed that part. Now I see why NY would be willing to fork over the two second rounders for our late 1st. A team with a better first rounder would not be willing to give their first rounder up for second rounders, making our pick more valuable.

I'll just be glad when we get rid of our first rounder, I just don't see value in it. I see lots of value in having 2 additional second rounders. Our FO are second round ninjas.

jesterbobman
02-20-2011, 02:55 AM
I think the NYK Pick dump is the best available idea(Semi realistic idea). The poor talent pool, at least in terms of how it looks at the moment with the lockout possibilities in place and our lack of needs, mean the pick is essentially a depth player.

The idea of trading for additional depth this year also seems unnecessary, We don't have big contracts of players not in our rotation, and we don't have any real gaps to fill, assuming Anderson gets back up to speed/healthy, and the gaps we'd fill wouldn't even be playoff players(Chris Quinn probably won't be playing, nor would another depth PG we brought in, same probably goes for SF depth)

Also, we seem to be holding spot 13 open for a waived player, who'd be more likely to play than a minimum salary guy we could get for 30.

bluebellmaniac
02-21-2011, 11:19 PM
So Denver settled for NY's 2014 first rounder.... bah! We could've used those 2nd rounders...

Darkwaters
02-22-2011, 02:00 AM
It is now a very realistic scenario that the Spurs dump the 1st for cash and then draft some super obscure Euro at 60 and thats our draft day.

CGD
02-24-2011, 11:49 AM
I'm OK with that especially since it looks like we'll have to wait until next year to see the true potential of JA/Splitter anyway. I also agree with what's been said about the value of 2011 1st rounders being fairly low (e.g., weak crop of players & uncertainty about the changes to the rookie scale). A trade for cash, future picks, or a gamble on a "fallen angel" from a recent draft are the way to go I believe.

Ditty
02-25-2011, 12:15 AM
the only player I see worth drafting at the small forward position that could be available when we pick is Kris Joseph from Syracuse. Good defender already, and has a great offense game. His 3 point shooting is a work in progress, that's why he's not supposed to be picked too high they say but has improved his mechanics alot they say, and maybe a year with chip he'll become a decent shooter.

Alot of power forwards in this draft. Would be a good time to draft someone if they Dyess decided to retire.

Bruno, would you know what pick ryan richards may have gone if he entered this draft?

Libri
02-25-2011, 05:07 PM
Bruno,

As always, your work is much appreciated. Thanks.

admiralsnackbar
02-25-2011, 05:38 PM
Bruno,

As always, your work is much appreciated. Thanks.

Co-signed :toast

Bruno
02-25-2011, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the thanks. :)

I've added some profile of players who are automatically eligible for the draft. If I've made some mistakes or if you want to add some players, just let me know it.

ChuckD
02-26-2011, 09:24 AM
Make a Gilberto Clavell thread please ....

DX doesn't even have a profile for him, and they build a LOT of profiles every year.

mathbzh
03-03-2011, 05:35 AM
Thanks for the thanks. :)

I've added some profile of players who are automatically eligible for the draft. If I've made some mistakes or if you want to add some players, just let me know it.

He is probably not a draft target for 2011 (I don't think he will be in). But maybe you could create an "International Prospect" thread for Joffrey Lauvergne (6'11 PF born in 1991).

He is having a solid season in the French league.

2010 Adidas Eurocamp scouting report from NBADraft.net: (http://www.nbadraft.net/2010-adidas-eurocamp-top-prospects)

8. Joffrey Lauvergne (Game 1 - 4 pts, 2 rebs) (Game 2 - 2 pts, 3 reb, 2 stl)

Playing only 8 minutes in the first game, the 1991 born French bigman was still able to show some nice things. His size and strong body allow him to muscle his way and create space inside.

Lauvergne showed excellent length and agility in the limited minutes he was on the floor. He runs the floor with fluidity and also has nice leaping ability. Lauvergne shows some toughness although he appears to be more of a finesse big. He still needs to add some bulk but has the makings of a future draft pick showing more promise than many of kids in the Eurocamp. For some reason the French coaches opted to keep him out of the game giving a number of inferior bigmen more minutes.

moisaenz
03-07-2011, 07:28 PM
Of all the PF's and C's in the draft, which one could the spurs get??

tuncaboylu
03-15-2011, 08:06 AM
Of all the PF's and C's in the draft, which one could the spurs get??

Keith Benson would be available when we draft. He's a good guy 18 pts 11 rebs averages. He's also a senior which means he can serve immediately when he comes to team.

outmap
03-15-2011, 08:03 PM
Aside from Keith Benson, Spurs should take a look at:
Georgi Shermadini - Potential: Best Case = Marc Gasol, Worst Case = Aaron Gray
and
Jeremy Tyler - Potential: Best Case = DeAndre Jordan, Worst Case = Kwame Brown

But I would still prefer they prioritize a SF first as back-up for RJ.

ChuckD
03-15-2011, 11:19 PM
and

I doubt they even sniff Tyler. More baggage than O'Hare airport. Quit HS. Kicked off team in Israel. He has more flies buzzing around him than a horse, including shoe king Sonny Vaccaro, who encouraged him to drive off his present cliff of quitting HS and going overseas to play in order to subvert the NCAA. Yeah, right.

tuncaboylu
03-16-2011, 07:27 AM
and

Both of those guys are too raw and it's hard to contribute to team immediately. Shermadini is a future project and Tyler is still need to improve.

Keith Benson may find playing time next year and be a 5 pts-4 rebs player immediately, but he needs to gain some strength.

outmap
03-16-2011, 08:15 AM
Both of those guys are too raw and it's hard to contribute to team immediately. Shermadini is a future project and Tyler is still need to improve.

Keith Benson may find playing time next year and be a 5 pts-4 rebs player immediately, but he needs to gain some strength.

I agree, but i would prefer if they draft a 3 instead in the first and a big in the 2nd rd. Benson will surely not be available at pick 60, the Spurs will have to draft and stash the last pick, and those 2 mentioned are probable options due to "potential"; Though if they will use the MLE for a small forward, then i'm all for drafting Benson at 30. :toast

Bruno
03-17-2011, 05:14 PM
I've updated the first post with some news about the draft. There are also now profiles of the most interesting underclassmen. If you want other profiles, just let me know it.

Bruno
03-21-2011, 03:16 PM
Nike hoop summit rosters have been announced:
http://www.nbadraft.net/2011-nike-hoop-summit-rosters

Dario Saris is the biggest name of the world team. He is born in 94 so he won't be eligible before 2013 (if CBA rules don't change). International players born in 92 (Raul Neto, Evan Fournier, Davis Bertans and Lucas Nogueira) are the only ones eligible for this draft.

spursballer21
03-21-2011, 04:53 PM
Isn't it funny how Jeremy Tyler was suppose to be the number one in this upcoming draft, and after going to Europe now he's the last pick or maybe not even drafted.

Ditty
03-21-2011, 05:41 PM
I would like Tobias Harris, seems like solid small forward 6'8, who can play small ball power forward which he does at Tennessee. Is a solid shooter, but has a flat foot release they say, but has all the tools to be a good defender with his length. He is predicted to go around our pick, and still 18 years old, and was recruited as the 5th best prospect last year out of high school.

Tyler Honeycutt from UCLA would be another great prospect has the total package but doubt he will be there when we draft.

Chris Singleton is probably the best perimeter defender in the draft, he is getting alot of props for this, as being a lock down defender, could possibly be there because of a foot injury he had recently, so is stock could drop.

Jordan Hamilton ehhh I like his game, but I think James Anderson is alot like him, but I think Anderson is a better shooter, and defender, just hamilton is a inch taller from what they list at 6'7.

Mal
03-23-2011, 09:28 AM
Shermandini sucks. He will never play in the NBA.

SenorSpur
03-23-2011, 02:55 PM
I've updated the first post with some news about the draft. There are also now profiles of the most interesting underclassmen. If you want other profiles, just let me know it.

Bruno,
Here is the name of another international prospect that has garnered some attention. He's Lucas Nogueira from Brazil.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Lucas-Nogueira-5957/

He's a kid with great length and defensive skill, but is very young, very raw and not very fundamentally sound. He's enticing because of his extraordinary energy and shot-blocking abilities. If he's available, I'd love it if the Spurs would take a second round flyer on him - unless of course, he shoots up the draft and someone grabs him in the first round.

Do you think you could post a profile for him?

SenorSpur
03-23-2011, 03:20 PM
I would like Tobias Harris, seems like solid small forward 6'8, who can play small ball power forward which he does at Tennessee. Is a solid shooter, but has a flat foot release they say, but has all the tools to be a good defender with his length. He is predicted to go around our pick, and still 18 years old, and was recruited as the 5th best prospect last year out of high school.

Tyler Honeycutt from UCLA would be another great prospect has the total package but doubt he will be there when we draft.

Chris Singleton is probably the best perimeter defender in the draft, he is getting alot of props for this, as being a lock down defender, could possibly be there because of a foot injury he had recently, so is stock could drop.

Jordan Hamilton ehhh I like his game, but I think James Anderson is alot like him, but I think Anderson is a better shooter, and defender, just hamilton is a inch taller from what they list at 6'7.

I love Singleton. For the simple fact that the Spurs absolutely MUST get better defensively on the perimeter. The best way to do that is by incorporating better defensive players on the roster. An overall uptick in defensive intensity cannot be accomplished by fielding a roster comprised mostly of one-dimensional offensive players, with inferior length.

While I'd prefer the Spurs take the best big available at #30, but if this kid is available, I'd love it if they selected him.

Bruno
03-23-2011, 03:34 PM
Bruno,
Here is the name of another international prospect that has garnered some attention. He's Lucas Nogueira from Brazil.

He's a kid with great length and defensive skill, but is very young, very raw and not very fundamentally sound. He's enticing because of his extraordinary energy and shot-blocking abilities. If he's available, I'd love it if the Spurs would take a second round flyer on him - unless of course, he shoots up the draft and someone grabs him in the first round.

Done. :)

He will play at the Nike Hoops Summit in a couple of weeks. I don't expect him to enter and stay in the draft unless he got or first round promise or at least is quite sure to be drafted in the first round.

SenorSpur
03-23-2011, 03:45 PM
The 5 players I have my eye on are:

Jan Vesely - Long, athletic freak. Young and skilled. Highly doubtful that he could ever fall to the bottom of the draft...but you never know. Remember DeJuan Blair.
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jan-Vesely-1402/

Keith Benson - Spurs desparately need another frontline player of some size and skill. Benson will likely be best big available @ #30.
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Keith-Benson-5712/

Chris Singleton - Best defender in the draft. Long and athletic Terrific finisher. Emerging offensive game.
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Chris-Singleton-1342/

Lucas Nogueira - Very young, extremely long and talented defensive presence. Raw and needs development. But a potential game-changer.

Tyler Honeycutt - Long, athletic, smart, good passer and defender. Definite Spurs material.
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Tyler-Honeycutt-5247/

SenorSpur
03-23-2011, 03:48 PM
Done. :)

He will play at the Nike Hoops Summit in a couple of weeks. I don't expect him to enter and stay in the draft unless he got or first round promise or at least is quite sure to be drafted in the first round.

Thanks.

I agree with you about him needing a guarantee, as incentive in staying in the draft. I imagine the next update on all potential draftees will come after that Summit.

Keep watching those mocks. :lol

20beastie45
03-25-2011, 01:39 AM
The 5 players I have my eye on are:

Jan Vesely - Long, athletic freak. Young and skilled. Highly doubtful that he could ever fall to the bottom of the draft...but you never know. Remember DeJuan Blair.
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jan-Vesely-1402/

Keith Benson - Spurs desparately need another frontline player of some size and skill. Benson will likely be best big available @ #30.
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Keith-Benson-5712/

Chris Singleton - Best defender in the draft. Long and athletic Terrific finisher. Emerging offensive game.
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Chris-Singleton-1342/

Lucas Nogueira - Very young, extremely long and talented defensive presence. Raw and needs development. But a potential game-changer.

Tyler Honeycutt - Long, athletic, smart, good passer and defender. Definite Spurs material.
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Tyler-Honeycutt-5247/

I really think we should trade up and reach for Tyler Honeycutt. He has great size for a SF. Shoots the ball with range. This guy played in one of the elite college conference's in the PAC 10.

http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af247/RaRaRaYebo/Screenshot2011-03-25at124206AM.png

kobyz
03-25-2011, 02:16 PM
two player i wish for our first round pick and i think are realistic options:

David Lighty - 5 years senior, wing with good size and strength, solid all around skills, excellent perimeter defender and can it the three very well, ready to contribute right away. comparison: Doug Christie/Wesley Matthews

JaJuan Johnson - also a senior who ready to contribute right away, very thin but athletic long PF who play tough defense and block shots, also has polished offensive game with nice mid range jumper, with McDyess retirement he could be good part of the bigs rotation and to provide nice and needed things, he is very fitting along Duncan, Blair and Splitter. comparison: Joe Smith/Jordan Hill

yavozerb
04-11-2011, 05:44 PM
With alot of the elite names already declaring they are returning to school, does this it make it easier for playoff teams to move up with existing NBA talent and possible future NBA picks (since next years draft looks much stronger)?

Brazil
04-11-2011, 05:57 PM
Bruno,

If the spurs pick him it would be to send him somewhere to progress: he is a really really long term project for the nba. Brazilian experts are quite high on him, he is long and likes flashy dunks (not sure he is pop material tbh).

M_-5fJFFzZc

Bruno
04-11-2011, 06:08 PM
If Spurs do want to gamble on a long term project bigman, Rudy Gobert is a also a good choice but I don't think he will enter in the draft.

yavozerb
04-11-2011, 06:13 PM
None of the players takin from the draft are sure fire NBA players but it seems like this coming draft will have many more projects rather than immediate help for teams.

sasffl
04-14-2011, 04:06 AM
I don't want spurs abandon their picks. Even though it is not a strong year, I think spurs will pick some guys for the future.

Spurtacus
04-26-2011, 04:35 PM
The worst thing about being 1 and done in the playoffs after being on tops in the West is the low draft pick. I do not doubt Spurs can find a quality player at #29...but being 15 spots higher helps a lot more in rebuilding when the championship window is nearly dead.

TDMVPDPOY
04-26-2011, 06:58 PM
how many picks they have in the upcomming draft?

Bruno
04-28-2011, 01:46 PM
Early entry list:
http://www.nba.com/2011/news/04/28/early-entries-2011/index.html

objective
04-30-2011, 05:31 PM
the hangtime podcast on NBA.com this week featured an interview with nba.com's draft expert, they went over sleepers and other players who could be available where the Spurs pick.

Spurtacus
04-30-2011, 05:38 PM
how many picks they have in the upcomming draft?

Two. 29 and 59

TDMVPDPOY
04-30-2011, 10:16 PM
i think we going to buy a pick or trade up....hill and blair conotract is dispensable

Bruno
05-11-2011, 06:30 PM
25 college players have withdrawn form the draft to keep their NCAA eligibility:
http://www.nba.com/2011/news/05/11/nba-draft-early-entry-withdrawls/index.html

The Truth #6
05-13-2011, 04:09 PM
i think we going to buy a pick or trade up....hill and blair conotract is dispensable

I boldly predict that we're going to do nothing.

Bruno
05-17-2011, 10:09 AM
Some random thoughts:

- Today is the lottery, who will get top picks could create some trade opportunities for Spurs.

- The Eurocamp participants list (http://www.europeanprospects.com/tournaments/2011/adidas-eurocamp-2011/adidas-eurocamp-2011-first-list/) looks damn good this year. Keep an eye on it.

- DX's twitter is reporting that Chicago is trying to package #28 and #30 to move up without success. If Spurs try to trade #29, they will have a hard time getting something good for it.

- When you look at mock drafts, there is about 20-22 players who should all be gone in the first 25 picks and after that, there are a lot of uncertainties. Unless someone slip like Blair two years ago, there are literally 20 or 30 players that Spurs could pick at #29. It's going to be a wild draft for them.

yavozerb
05-17-2011, 01:05 PM
Some random thoughts:

- Today is the lottery, who will get top picks could create some trade opportunities for Spurs.

- The Eurocamp participants list (http://www.europeanprospects.com/tournaments/2011/adidas-eurocamp-2011/adidas-eurocamp-2011-first-list/) looks damn good this year. Keep an eye on it.

- DX's twitter is reporting that Chicago is trying to package #28 and #30 to move up without success. If Spurs try to trade #29, they will have a hard time getting something good for it.

- When you look at mock drafts, there is about 20-22 players who should all be gone in the first 25 picks and after that, there are a lot of uncertainties. Unless someone slip like Blair two years ago, there are literally 20 or 30 players that Spurs could pick at #29. It's going to be a wild draft for them.

-Just wondering what teams you think would benefit the spurs if they were able to move up or down tonight?

TDMVPDPOY
05-17-2011, 01:12 PM
lookin towards former spurs scouts workin in diff organizations atm to screw us again

Bruno
05-17-2011, 01:56 PM
-Just wondering what teams you think would benefit the spurs if they were able to move up or down tonight?

I haven't thought at what team(s)s could benefit Spurs if they get a top pick, it was more of a general reflection. Top prospects are this year point guards and big men. A possible scenario would be a team ready to trade one of its bigmen because this team will draft a big with a top 5 pick.

Bruno
05-18-2011, 02:58 AM
After the lottery, the team that could be a trade partner is Minnesota.

The consensus it that Cavs will go after Irving. He is said to be the best prospect in the draft and Cavs have a hole at PG. Baron Davis isn't part of their future and Ramon Sessions isn't starting material.

After Irving, the BPA is Derrick Williams. The problem is that Minny has a lot of bigs with Love, Beasley, Randolph, Pekovic, Milicic and Tolliver. Spurs could try to get one of these with Love being of course off limits. Hill could fetch Beasley or Randolph. Minny could look to dump Milicic or Pekovic contract's. Spurs have the ability to take these contract with Dice expiring and partially guaranteed contract.

Muser
05-18-2011, 03:08 AM
Hill for Randolph is a steal. If that's available the Spurs better pull the trigger

yavozerb
05-19-2011, 10:33 AM
:downspin:, NBA draft combine is offically underway...

Bruno
05-19-2011, 04:35 PM
When I compare to the activity level of previous years, this thread is so damn quiet. Is this draft so bad that no one is interested in it?

objective
05-19-2011, 04:49 PM
When I compare to the activity level of previous years, this thread is so damn quiet. Is this draft so bad that no one is interested in it?

I think the badness of the draft is compounded with the Spurs pick.

Last year with the 20th it was easier to get a handle on who could be there and then focus on that, that's how I was able to predict the Spurs getting Anderson in the draft prediction thread contest (I blew the 2nd rounder thinking it would be Aradori).

Picking so late in a draft that is so uncertain due to the low level of quality makes it hard to get a grasp of good candidates.

Plus I would argue the realization that the Spurs are finished as contenders kind of sucks the energy out of draft-following. Not a lot of incentive to waste hours on looking at players who even if they were any good, wouldn't likely help. And even if they could help, Splitter serves as a reminder that Pop won't play them anyway.

Bruno
05-19-2011, 04:56 PM
While I usually find the offseason somewhat fun to follow, I agree with you that it's kinda depressing this year. :depressed

jesterbobman
05-19-2011, 05:26 PM
The offseason is also unclear. We were a 60 win team, which would usually indicate that we were contenders, but the playoffs really slaughtered that idea. We have to adjust to that, and have no real ammunition to upgrade the team, and we don't know what will happen with the CBA yet.

Then with, all the options w.r.t trades, we don't have a position to focus on. We need PF/C help, but any #29 rookie won't really help other than depth, so we probably have to trade, which opens up holes elsewhere. It's hard to follow every position as everyone is so unlikely.

Hopefully the athletic testing should give us more info on who should be available around the Spurs pick, people moving up with good results and down with poor ones.

yavozerb
05-19-2011, 05:35 PM

I really think most are still depressed from the early bailout from the playoffs..With that said I myself am very excited cause it is always interesting to see what new players could possibly be out there. This draft may suck for lottery teams but it actually is not too bad for late teams like the spurs.

yavozerb
05-19-2011, 07:44 PM
Keep and eye on Nikola Vucevic. Spurs have him high on thier board.

I actually do like Vucevic as well. My top 3 big men who I think may be around in order is Trey Thompkins, Jordan Williams, and Vucevic.

Bruno
05-20-2011, 02:58 PM
pre-draft measurements:
http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?page=&year=2011&source=All&sort2=DESC&draft=0&pos=0&sort=

yavozerb
05-20-2011, 03:31 PM
I actually do like Vucevic as well. My top 3 big men who I think may be around in order is Trey Thompkins, Jordan Williams, and Vucevic.

pre-draft measurements:
http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?page=&year=2011&source=All&sort2=DESC&draft=0&pos=0&sort=

Vucevic with that size and 7'4 wingspan is looking alot better at #29..thanks bruno

baseline bum
05-20-2011, 04:33 PM
While I usually find the offseason somewhat fun to follow, I agree with you that it's kinda depressing this year. :depressed

There's not going to be a season next year. Not with the owners pushing for a $45 million hard cap and contracts guaranteed to a max of 50% on the first $8 million and 25% after that. And then caps of 2% (non-Bird) and 3% (Bird) on yearly raises? I doubt we see the Spurs again before November 2012. By then it'll probably be time to jump in on the tank for Drummond. I do love the idea of trading Hill for Randolph though.

Bruno
05-20-2011, 05:15 PM
There's not going to be a season next year. Not with the owners pushing for a $45 million hard cap and contracts guaranteed to a max of 50% on the first $8 million and 25% after that. And then caps of 2% (non-Bird) and 3% (Bird) on yearly raises? I doubt we see the Spurs again before November 2012. By then it'll probably be time to jump in on the tank for Drummond. I do love the idea of trading Hill for Randolph though.

I don't think there will have a long term lockout.

The whole talk about the league losing $300M per year seems BS to me. There are so much signs pointing in the direction of the NBA going well: franchises are sold for a lot of money, players got big contracts last summer, TV ratings are raising by a lot... The latest of these signs was Doc Rivers getting $35M/5 years.

My guess is that owners will accept a CBA way more player friendly than their current proposition. That's just my guess.

ChuckD
05-21-2011, 10:12 AM
I think the Spurs have made their "draft" already. Their "picks" are Ryan Richards, Danny Green, De'Sean Butler, and James Anderson.

I think they dump the first round pick for one in a later draft. There are teams shopping. With all the players who pulled out this year, even a pick in the 20s next year would be a lottery equivalent in this year's draft.

Spurtacus
05-21-2011, 05:26 PM
My early predictions on the draft.

#29: JaJuan Johnson, PF
#59: Justin Holiday, SG/SF

Bruno
05-21-2011, 06:23 PM
FYI, there is a list of players by position who have reportedly work out with Spurs in the first post of this thread.

nickdaquick
05-22-2011, 10:58 AM
Where would Ryan Richards be drafted this year?

ace3g
05-22-2011, 12:09 PM
the Pre-Draft Camp is on NBATV right now

yavozerb
05-22-2011, 12:17 PM
Where would Ryan Richards be drafted this year?
Exactly where he was last season...

objective
05-22-2011, 07:03 PM
if Richards had missed an entire season with shoulder surgeries, then he would have gone undrafted.

I know that supposedly the surgeries weren't mandatory but suggested to get done sooner rather than later from the Spurs, but they could have been aggravated had he continued to play necessitating surgery anyway.

boo_radley
05-23-2011, 07:11 PM
Workouts list:

PG:
Andrew Goudelock (May 11)
Charles Jenkins (May 13)
Ben Hansbrough (May 11)
Demetry McCamey (May 23)

SG:
E'Twaun Moore
David Lighty
Xavier Silas (May 9)
Jamarr Sanders (May 11)
Malcolm Lee (June 3)

SF:
Jimmy Butler (May 20, interview only)

PF:
Matt Howard
Jamie Skeen (May 13)
Justin Harper (May 13)
Jon Leuer
Malcolm Thomas (May 25)

C:
Keith Benson (May 13)
Jeremy Tyler (May 23)

Is there any one source for these dates, or do you have to scour the internet for them?

boo_radley
05-23-2011, 07:13 PM
I think they dump the first round pick for one in a later draft. There are teams shopping. With all the players who pulled out this year, even a pick in the 20s next year would be a lottery equivalent in this year's draft.

I think they use #29 and trade #58

tdunk21
05-23-2011, 09:47 PM
latest draft express mock.....updates with new picks

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2011/

Bruno
05-24-2011, 04:07 AM
Is there any one source for these dates, or do you have to scour the internet for them?

These come for various sources even if a lot of them comes from http://thehoopsreport.com/workouts.aspx?action=San%20Antonio

You can find the exact source in the player's thread.

ace3g
05-25-2011, 01:45 PM
NBA Draft Combine is on ESPNU right now

ace3g
05-28-2011, 01:49 PM
Chris_Broussard Chris Broussard
Cavs, Pistons, Twolves discussing 3-team trade that would give Cavs 1st & 2nd picks, sources say.

Cavs absorb Rip Hamilton into 14.6 mill trade exception & get Det's 8th pick. Cavs send 4th & 8th picks to Minny for 2nd pick

Cavs would then draft Kyrie No. 1 and Derrick Williams No. 2. Nothing imminent but trade us being discussed by the teams.

Bruno
05-28-2011, 03:59 PM
If this trade goes down, Minny will have #4, #8 and #20 in the draft. It's unlikely they keep all three picks. Latest DX mock draft has Chris Singleton at #20.

Just saying...

ace3g
05-28-2011, 11:50 PM
Imsixeleven Matthew Rogers
I'm all amped up from my workout, Bulls, Spurs, Hawks, here I come!!! God's about to use me to break the norm!!!
26 May

not big news but someone to add to list of workouts

Bruno
05-29-2011, 08:15 AM
Imsixeleven Matthew Rogers
I'm all amped up from my workout, Bulls, Spurs, Hawks, here I come!!! God's about to use me to break the norm!!!
26 May

not big news but someone to add to list of workouts

Matt rogers isn't draft eligible. He is a vet FA. Other players (Leo Lyons, Lance Thomas, Ryan Thompson..) in his case have also worked out for Spurs.

DPG21920
05-29-2011, 10:25 AM
To me, if he is still there, I'd say just grab Lucas Nogueira.

tdunk21
05-29-2011, 11:15 AM
To me, if he is still there, I'd say just grab Lucas Nogueira.

this

tdunk21
05-29-2011, 11:19 AM
latest hoopsworld mock draft

http://www.hoopsworld.com/the_draft/FullMockDraft.asp

TD 21
05-29-2011, 06:35 PM
Im sold on J Johnson with our pick, if hes still on the board. 7ftr from USC is second on my board, after that I like Williams from Maryland, J Tyler, Norris Cole, Big Lucas, M Brooks, Then Singler..........In that order.

My sense is they go Harper over Johnson, if they're both on the board at 29. They're both Spurs material. Harper has more range, a better handle and is stronger. Johnson is more athletic and a better shot blocker. But they've never prioritized either of those two things, so there's no reason to think they will now.

Of course, like Anderson last season, if someone ranked higher, such as Vucevic, is available at 29 (which I can't see happening), then I think that changes everything. But short of that, I'm as convinced they'll draft Harper as I was they'd draft Williams last year.

TD 21
05-30-2011, 05:07 PM
If we grab Harper over Johnson I will be sick to my stomach. I played against Harper in HS and College, this guy is a pussy. He is softer than Bonner, has no real post moves, will struggle to put on wieght....

Think of a shorter, poor mans Channing Frye. Im 6-5 and Harper couldnt defend me in college or HS how he will defend anyone on the next level is beyond me.

He is unselfish, and smart, a good passer...but he hates contact and he avoids it more than a bull fighter. He also is a God awfulllllll rebounder for a PF.

Unfortunately, none of these are qualities the Spurs have shied away from in recent years, so there's no reason to think they will now.

Harper is the type they're seemingly looking for. 6-9, can shoot, pass and is an average athlete by NBA standards (which on this team, would make him above average). They'll probably think they can turn him into a competent defender/rebounder. He's also seemingly capable of playing some immediately and of being a potential long term replacement for Bonner.

At 59, I suspect they draft whatever PG is leftover or trade up into the 40s to select either McCamey or Goudelock.

If they do this and maybe sign Richards, on sheer numbers alone, they wouldn't have to make another move. Hopefully they do though.

JonNOKC
05-30-2011, 06:35 PM
I go get Tyler at 29 if he's there - physically he has all the tools - and is a true C - so if Richards develops into starter down the road - Tyler can play next to him unlike alot of the bigs in this draft - of course if a Vucevic is available would be hard to pass on (although I think Tyler will be better NBA player albeit 3-5 years from now)

If the Spurs want to try and improve this team now then the best move is a trade on draft day - otherwise I would go for upside/potential

Lots of guys in 2nd round that could make since from the PGs mentioned above, to a Jimmy Butler (texas native and no one will out work the guy), even a John Leuer would be a good pick if it was followed by moving Bonner

Tyrone Jenkins
05-30-2011, 10:15 PM
Tyler is immature. Pass.

Tyrone Jenkins
06-01-2011, 10:46 PM
Here's Tyler for you...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1167639/index.htm

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/08/sports/basketball/08tyler.html

tdunk21
06-02-2011, 12:55 PM
latest mock draft on draft express has the spurs picking davis bertans(SF)

yavozerb
06-02-2011, 02:30 PM
My top 5 current big men who may still be around and fits the roster the best for the coming season in my opinion:
1. Vucevic
2. Thompkins
3. J. Johnson
4. J. Williams
5. Benson

elemento
06-02-2011, 03:09 PM
I do not mind Vucevic, Johnson or Nogueira. I just do not want Tyler.

yavozerb
06-02-2011, 04:23 PM
I do not mind Vucevic, Johnson or Nogueira. I just do not want Tyler.

Ya, I agree with you..I forgot about about jordan williams so I bumped tyler to make room. Didn't put any euro's on my list but would not mind Nogueira either.

Bruno
06-02-2011, 05:59 PM
35 players have worked out with Spurs with some of them having two workouts. At that 35 players, you must add players whose workout hasn't been reported and players who will work in the 3 remaining weeks before the draft.

There is an obvious observation to make: Spurs are very active and look in depth at draft prospects this year.

Some conclusions can be drawn from that activity:
- These workouts cost some money. Sometimes teams reduce them for financial reasons. It's always good to know that Spurs aren't in that situation.
- Spurs aren't in the mindset of trading their pick. If they like nobody at #29 of if they get a great offer for it, they might trade it but it isn't their first option.
- This draft is described as a bad one. If Spurs want additional picks, it should be easier than usual to get them.

Thompson
06-02-2011, 06:18 PM
latest mock draft on draft express has the spurs picking davis bertans(SF)

What ever happened to Sanikidze? Has that ship sailed?

elemento
06-02-2011, 06:29 PM
This draft is bad in terms of superstar talent IMO.

Late picks like the Spurs pick have pretty much the same amount of talent if you compare them with drafts in the past. The Magic got Daniel Orton with the 29th pick last year. He is a not a better prospect than Johnson, Nogueira or Vucevic.

Tyrone Jenkins
06-02-2011, 07:52 PM
When was the last time a BIG man (read that as PF or C) was drafted beyond the 20th pick that ended up scoring more than 15 pts and grabbing more the 8 boards a game? Carlos Boozer was actually a 35th overall and is an exception. If you think Mehmet Okur is good, then he might be included (38th pick).

TD was a 1st overall pick. So was Dwight Howard, Andrew Bogut, Shaq, Chris Weber, Larry Johnson, Danny Manning, Pervis Ellison, Patrick Ewing, Hakeem Olajuwon, Elton Brand, Derrick Coleman, Kenyon Martin and Yao Ming. About 95% of all the centers and power forwards that ended up being halfway decent were all drafted w/in the 1st 15 picks. Guards (both point and shooting) drafted later have a far higher probability of success than big men drafted later.

Good big men are just harder to fine. The Spurs lucked up w/ Blair but even as good as he is, his length (or lack thereof) prevents him from seeing the floor during the playoffs in Popovich's scheme.

If the Spurs are serious about drafting a quality big man, their best course of action is to either wait til next year (when the draft will hopefully be stronger) or trade up into the lottery area. The possibility exists (I think) to trade w/ the Cavs to their 4th pick or even w/ Minnesota for their 2nd. Perhaps we can trade TP and Blair and/or Splitter to Toronto @ 5, Milwaukee @ 10 (rumored to want to get rid of Jennings) or Houston @ 14.

Personally, I think that if TP is traded, then the Spurs are officially rebuilding and every attempt to get the BEST BIG MAN they can right now is imperative. Why now? Couple of reasons: getting someone skilled now while Tim Duncan is still playing is best opportunity for him to teach the rookie (who know what Tim will want to do after retiring); having a marquee PF or C will help attract other players that will be free agents next year (such as CP3, Dwight Howard, etc.); most important, the current structure of the West necessitates it - between Portland, LA, Memphis and Dallas, the Spurs need an athletic, shot-blocking, rebouding force to answer the likes of Aldridge, Gasol, Randolph and Dirk.

boo_radley
06-03-2011, 11:36 AM
If the Spurs are serious about drafting a quality big man, their best course of action is to either wait til next year (when the draft will hopefully be stronger) or trade up into the lottery area. The possibility exists (I think) to trade w/ the Cavs to their 4th pick or even w/ Minnesota for their 2nd. Perhaps we can trade TP and Blair and/or Splitter to Toronto @ 5, Milwaukee @ 10 (rumored to want to get rid of Jennings) or Houston @

That's a lot to trade for a draft pick.

Tyrone Jenkins
06-03-2011, 09:05 PM
The draft pick would come accompany players...we'd probably swap our 29th pick for theirs.

Vic Petro
06-03-2011, 09:17 PM
Next year. I wouldn't trade Tony Parker for anyone in this draft. But if we are the same flawed team at the deadline next year and we can trade for a lottery ticket in the Anthony Davis sweepstakes, then you trade. Davis can change a franchise. Even a #3 pick next year can get you McAdoo or Perry Jones or Harrison Barnes all of which are at least comparable to the talent level of this year's #1

Tyrone Jenkins
06-03-2011, 11:17 PM
Detroit needs a SG and PF. I would trade Neal or Anderson and Blair for Chris Wilcox and the #8 pick. With that, I'd take Chris Singleton.

BackHome
06-04-2011, 12:51 AM
Trade Hill and Blair and get two additional picks and get these kids:

Malcom Thomas SF/PF San Diego - 6'9, 225 pds, 11 Pts, FG. 53%, Rebounds 8.1, Blocks 2.0 (A tough kid who can rebound/block shots and will be able to guard SF he has very good lateral quickness - the opposite of Bonner, Blair and RJ)

Keith Benson PF/C Oakland - 6'11 223 pds, 17.9 Pts, FG. 54%, Rebounds 10.0, Blocks 3.6 (Great rebounder/blocks shots just needs to juice up for about six months to add bulk)

Lucas Nogureria C - 7'0 225 pds, NA STATS (D Leauge just one year and hire a great weight coach for him)

Darrius Morris PG Michigan - 6'5, 190 pds - 15.0 Pts, Assist. 6.7, Rebounds 4.0 (Will easily be our second best pg and could replace Tony if traded in 2012)

Good PG, Good PF, Good or Great Center........

BackHome
06-05-2011, 04:36 AM
Next year. I wouldn't trade Tony Parker for anyone in this draft. But if we are the same flawed team at the deadline next year and we can trade for a lottery ticket in the Anthony Davis sweepstakes, then you trade. Davis can change a franchise. Even a #3 pick next year can get you McAdoo or Perry Jones or Harrison Barnes all of which are at least comparable to the talent level of this year's #1

The only way we get to trade Tony for top three spots in next year draft is if we trade him this year for next years unprocted pick and we get lucky in that team getting a top three pick. That is almost as much chance as us get Kobe from the Lakers..lol

Vic Petro
06-05-2011, 02:22 PM
The only way we get to trade Tony for top three spots in next year draft is if we trade him this year for next years unprocted pick and we get lucky in that team getting a top three pick. That is almost as much chance as us get Kobe from the Lakers..lol

Same way Deron Williams or Carmelo Anthony were traded at the deadline for multiple top picks and a boatload of other assets. Parker isn't valued as highly but I don't think it's too much to ask basically half that compensation in return.

Luck will play a big part in whether the draft pick we'd get in return is top 5 or top 10 or whatever, but the Spurs have been lucky when it comes to the lottery :downspin:

Tyrone Jenkins
06-06-2011, 12:27 AM
I like Tony Parker. I really do. But, I'll be honest . . . he's replaceable. And doing so won't be to difficult.

Tim Duncan is irreplaceable. Arguably the best PF to play the game. I doubt any team (including the Spurs) will ever draft someone that good at the PF or C position ever again.

But TP, he was a late round pick. So was Manu. So are a # of other point and shooting guards. There's more of them. People are just shorter - 6'10' and taller guys w/ that kind of abilty to score, rebound and defend come along every so often. There are probably 2-3 Tony Parker like PGs in THIS draft. Are there any Duncans?

My opinion - keep TP if trading him won't bring about Dwight Howard or someone of that caliber. If it won't, then the Spurs need to set themselves up for a top 5 draft pick NEXT year (hopefully there will be a halfway decent PF or C to replace Duncan).

Either that, or wallow around in mediocrity for the next 10-15 years....

Bruno
06-06-2011, 05:17 PM
An interesting commented mock draft:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AmPTSfd78fkCYUFEfTtJKtO8vLYF?slug=ycn-8581953

Spurs da champs
06-06-2011, 05:23 PM
I hope not we need a big more then anything & someone who can contribute right away.

benefactor
06-06-2011, 06:36 PM
I hope not we need a big more then anything & someone who can contribute right away.
There's nothing like that in this draft where the Spurs are picking. Heck...the whole bottom half of the first round is full of players that are either projects or very end of the bench role players.

With all the money they are locked in to, there is a very, very good chance the Spurs pick someone they don't have to pay next season. Bertrans is a decent option in that respect.

admiralsnackbar
06-06-2011, 08:11 PM
There's nothing like that in this draft where the Spurs are picking. Heck...the whole bottom half of the first round is full of players that are either projects or very end of the bench role players.

With all the money they are locked in to, there is a very, very good chance the Spurs pick someone they don't have to pay next season. Bertrans is a decent option in that respect.
Been thinking the same thing. Short of a miracle draft steal, a healthy Anderson and Butler, a Duncan contract renegotiation, and a trade that's completely lopsided in our favor, we aren't going to contend next year.

I'm not advocating a tank job, but rather that we may as well accept the window is closed and start drafting developing, stashable talent so that once Tim and Manu come off the books after some lackluster seasons we can have a 2-3 drafts-worth of cheap, young players to choose from and some FA play money.

Tyrone Jenkins
06-06-2011, 10:50 PM
Been thinking the same thing. Short of a miracle draft steal, a healthy Anderson and Butler, a Duncan contract renegotiation, and a trade that's completely lopsided in our favor, we aren't going to contend next year.

I think a trade involving Parker, Jefferson and Blair and a 1st round pick this year (know one is of any real value at 29) for LeMarcus Aldridge and Andre Miller and Portlands 1st pick (21st). Or, Marc Gasol and OJ Mayo. Perhaps the same for Nene and Raymond Felton. Maybe even Josh Smith and Kurt Heinrich. I kinda like Aaron Brooks, Mickael Pietrus, Channing Frye and the Suns 1st round pick (13th).

Either way, it really depends on who the Spurs see as a possible scoring BIG for their future. Can it be Aldridge. Josh Smith? I doubt Nene, Gasol or Frye are enough of a force to build a franchise around.

Regardless of what the Spurs do, the key is a franchise PF or C. PGs and SGs are a dime a dozen...

mountainballer
06-07-2011, 05:01 AM
35 players have worked out with Spurs with some of them having two workouts. At that 35 players, you must add players whose workout hasn't been reported and players who will work in the 3 remaining weeks before the draft.

There is an obvious observation to make: Spurs are very active and look in depth at draft prospects this year.

Some conclusions can be drawn from that activity:
- These workouts cost some money. Sometimes teams reduce them for financial reasons. It's always good to know that Spurs aren't in that situation.
- Spurs aren't in the mindset of trading their pick. If they like nobody at #29 of if they get a great offer for it, they might trade it but it isn't their first option.
- This draft is described as a bad one. If Spurs want additional picks, it should be easier than usual to get them.

definitely looks as if Spurs at least plan to use their picks. some of the invited players are likely out of their draft range (Vucevuc, Shumpert), or even definitely out of their range (Morris, Kanter interview).
that might be an indication that they try to move up and/or acquire another 1st round pick. the #18,#19 and #20 pick are or might be on the market (#20 pick from the Wolves definitely is).
if Vucevic is their target, as many here guess, a pick in that range won't be good enough IMO. he is ranked around 20 in most mocks, but I'm pretty sure he will be picked around 10. he just is to talented and offers to much size to pass. and the success of players like Lopez and Monroe will encourage teams to invest a high pick in such a player. I can see him go to Bobcats at #9 for example.

my hope for a pick around #20 is, that Spurs get Tobias Harris. (no workout reported though).

JonNOKC
06-07-2011, 09:18 AM
Bertans is also going to Spurs on DraftXpress latest board - wouldn't suprise me as short of the unexpected falling into your lap or a trade there is probably not a NBA ready contributor at 29 - my only concern with him is having the athletic ability to at least be an average defender - but a pure shooter some have compared to a bigger Peja

Bruno
06-07-2011, 01:56 PM
definitely looks as if Spurs at least plan to use their picks. some of the invited players are likely out of their draft range (Vucevuc, Shumpert), or even definitely out of their range (Morris, Kanter interview).
that might be an indication that they try to move up and/or acquire another 1st round pick. the #18,#19 and #20 pick are or might be on the market (#20 pick from the Wolves definitely is).
if Vucevic is their target, as many here guess, a pick in that range won't be good enough IMO. he is ranked around 20 in most mocks, but I'm pretty sure he will be picked around 10. he just is to talented and offers to much size to pass. and the success of players like Lopez and Monroe will encourage teams to invest a high pick in such a player. I can see him go to Bobcats at #9 for example.

my hope for a pick around #20 is, that Spurs get Tobias Harris. (no workout reported though).

I'm skeptical about rumors on Vucevic being Spurs choice. Spurs are one of the better team in the NBA at keeping it secret. While it's fully possible that Spurs are high on Vucevic, I doubt it would have been leaked to medias that soon before the draft.

Tobias Harris has spend some time in SA working on his game with Gervin. Even without a workout, they should have some input about him.

AFBlue
06-07-2011, 04:45 PM
Saw this in an ESPN Insider article from Chad Ford...

USC big man Nikola Vucevic continues to impress NBA teams with some excellent workouts, including a standout session with the San Antonio Spurs. It sounds as if Vucevic is seriously in the picture as early at the 16th pick to Philadelphia, and he probably won't slide past the Spurs.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog?name=nba_draft&id=6622187

Mr. Body
06-07-2011, 07:47 PM
Vucevic will be long gone by the Spurs' draft.

BackHome
06-07-2011, 08:06 PM
I could see us trading Hill or Blair to the Pacers for their 15th draft pick...but then I realy don't know who would we be targeting at mid level?

I like Vucevic but do you all think he could be on the floor the same time with Splitter? Also if we do trade up I don't want to give up our 29th pick cause I love Darrius Morris who I think is someone who can really help us out on offense and also be a lock down defender.

dbestpro
06-08-2011, 10:51 AM
I could see us trading Hill or Blair to the Pacers for their 15th draft pick...but then I realy don't know who would we be targeting at mid level?

I like Vucevic but do you all think he could be on the floor the same time with Splitter? .

Vucevic will not take Splitter's minutes, but could take Bonner's. :king

yavozerb
06-08-2011, 11:28 AM
I cannot imagine the spurs moving up in this draft simply because the players are not worth it..There is very little seperation after the top 15 and you probably make an arguement after the top 10. I could possibly even see the spurs move back and get an early 2nd rd pick if none of there players are still on the board at #29..

mountainballer
06-08-2011, 11:40 AM
I cannot imagine the spurs moving up in this draft simply because the players are not worth it..There is very little seperation after the top 15 and you probably make an arguement after the top 10. I could possibly even see the spurs move back and get an early 2nd rd pick if none of there players are still on the board at #29..

you are right, but the speculation was that because of this facts, 1st round picks might be less costly than in other years. especially teams with multiple picks might be offering their additional picks (Wolves are), b/c they don't want to pick multiple players from a weak draft class.
#12 from the Jazz might be on the market. we could make a point that #12 this year isn't better than #20 in other drafts. but what if because of this the #12 could be had for a price usually payed for a #20 pick?

bluebellmaniac
06-08-2011, 11:40 AM
When was the last time the Spurs traded / moved up in the first round of the draft? Who did we pick?

SenorSpur
06-08-2011, 01:08 PM
you are right, but the speculation was that because of this facts, 1st round picks might be less costly than in other years. especially teams with multiple picks might be offering their additional picks (Wolves are), b/c they don't want to pick multiple players from a weak draft class.
#12 from the Jazz might be on the market. we could make a point that #12 this year isn't better than #20 in other drafts. but what if because of this the #12 could be had for a price usually payed for a #20 pick?

Good point.

I remember in past year's, the cast cost of buying a 1st round pick was 3 mil. I don't know what it would take to move up from #29, but your reasoning makes sense. Being that this is such a weak draft, perhaps the cost would be lower than in previous drafts.

benefactor
06-08-2011, 01:57 PM
It's looking less likely that the Spurs will try to move up in this draft. Buford's comments about not trying to build via the draft this year in his recent interview make it sound more and more like the Spurs will either trade the pick or go with a pick they can stash.

Mal
06-09-2011, 09:52 AM
#12 from the Jazz might be on the market.

Jazz will take Knight/Kemba with 3, and Jimmer with 12.

SenorSpur
06-09-2011, 12:39 PM

I like Vucevic but do you all think he could be on the floor the same time with Splitter?

I don't think that Vucevic actually CAN be on the floor at the same time as Splitter. They're way too similar and neither have any extended shooting range. However JaJuan Johnson can. He would be a wonderful compliment to Splitter as he has a superb midrange game, can block shots and play around the rim.

yavozerb
06-09-2011, 04:19 PM
I don't think that Vucevic actually CAN be on the floor at the same time as Splitter. They're way too similar and neither have any extended shooting range. However JaJuan Johnson can. He would be a wonderful compliment to Splitter as he has a superb midrange game, can block shots and play around the rim.

Vucevic can not only back you down cause of his big body down low but he has good range just inside the 3pt line. Not sure how you can compare Vucevic and splitter since vucevic has an above average shot. I would much rather have Vecevic over Johnson, and apparently so would 3/4 of the NBA teams according to mock drafts..

tdunk21
06-11-2011, 12:24 PM
Celtics May Look To Trade Out Of First Round

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/214078/Celtics_May_Look_To_Trade_Out_Of_First_Round

It's looking very likely that the Celtics trade their way out of this upcoming draft.

Consider the following quotes, all of which come straight from Boston GM Danny Ainge:

"It's not a strong draft. There's not a lot of players who could change a franchise."

"The last thing I wanna do...because we're trying to win...is put inexperienced players under Doc. It's a delicate balance."

Bruno
06-11-2011, 06:32 PM
Spurs have a lot of interesting young players with Hill, Neal, Anderson, Butler, Blair, Splitter and Richards. While Spurs' future looks bleak, it's not a problem of quantity , it's a problem of quality. Getting an additional late first round pick to get another mediocre prospect won't help them.

Tyrone Jenkins
06-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Two schools of thought regarding weak draft classes...

Acquire higher picks or trade to the following year. Celtics are smart - how smart are the Spurs?

Vic Petro
06-11-2011, 09:49 PM
Other teams aren't stupid. Spurs won't be able to turn #29 into a first rounder next year. The only two options are a player that can fill a rotation spot immediately or one they can stash in Europe.

ChuckD
06-11-2011, 11:32 PM
Other teams aren't stupid. Spurs won't be able to turn #29 into a first rounder next year. The only two options are a player that can fill a rotation spot immediately or one they can stash in Europe.

You obviously don't follow a lot of front offices. Teams would easily be stupid enough to trade picks this year for next year. A team that comes to mind is NY. They put together a team built around a chucker combo forward and a scoring PF and little ball movement and their draft cupboard is bare. In fact, I'd say that there may be only 8-10 NON stupid front offices in the league. The rest are just trying to fool fans into thinking they're doing something to win while actually NOT doing something to win.

Bruno
06-12-2011, 05:25 AM
Eurocamp day 1 summary:
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/2011-adidas-Eurocamp-Day-One-3746/

Buford, Lindsey and Crippa are all at the Eurocamp. It's another sign that Spurs take the draft process and international prospects very seriously.

tdunk21
06-12-2011, 11:41 AM
Eurocamp day 1 summary:
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/2011-adidas-Eurocamp-Day-One-3746/

Buford, Lindsey and Crippa are all at the Eurocamp. It's another sign that Spurs take the draft process and international prospects very seriously.

is Lucas noguiera 6'9 or 7'...coz nbadraft.net listed him at 7'0 and this article lists him as 6'9....

yavozerb
06-12-2011, 12:48 PM
is Lucas noguiera 6'9 or 7'...coz nbadraft.net listed him at 7'0 and this article lists him as 6'9....

6'10 with shoes are his measurement from yesterday. I am not sure this kid was never even offically measured before yesterday since he is only 18 years old so the 7ft measurement was simply a estimate.

Spurs da champs
06-12-2011, 01:23 PM
Well his Fro makes him look taller like Ben Wallace.

Ditty
06-13-2011, 12:33 PM
With lucas nogueria now gone who was my first option...I guess the Spurs didn't like his worth ethic I would say Jajuan Johnson would be my 1st choice now if he's there....I'm not sold on Jermey Tyler but at this point ill take him or tyler honeucutt also if there available if jajuan has been drafted. Davis Bertans wouldn't be bad, I would take him also.

objective
06-13-2011, 05:20 PM
Maybe Nogueira got a haircut. that would explain how he lost an inch in shoes from the previous measurement.

Tyrone Jenkins
06-13-2011, 10:36 PM
There are many different philosophies wrt drafting - regardless of sport. Some experts say always draft the best player available (BPA) regardless of position. That would mean the Spurs should take whomever is the best player is even if they were STACKED at that position (like SG). Others say the Value over Replacement Player (VORP) strategy - which depicts drafting the highest rated player at a position that has the greater value as compared to next best alternative - is the best. A good example of this is drafting a PG who's rated to be an 85 just because the next best PG is valued at 65. There are other strategies...here's mine.

Draft the BPA at a bona fide position of need. The Spurs need (by order of priority) are a DEFENSIVE and REBOUNDING lengthy PF or C, a defensive 3pt shooting SF and a pass 1st PG. Any other position (SG, shoot 1st SF, offensive minded big w/ no defensive skills) should be ignored.

I hope that's what happens, regardless of who gets drafted 1st.

Bruno
06-15-2011, 01:07 AM
Final early entry list:
http://www.nba.com/2011/news/06/14/2011-draft-withdrawals/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2

The situation regarding international prospects for Spurs is cery simple this year:
- There are 4 players (Biyombo, Motiejunas, Valanciunas and Vesely) who will be drafted well before#29.
- At #29, there are only 2 international options with Bertans and Mirotic.
- At #59, there are a bunch of international players born in 89. Some of them should be drafted earlier in the second round but none of them seems worth a first round pick.

My personal preferences for Spurs picks:
I do like both Bertans and Mirotic at #29. Both won't be able to contribute before a long time but they are good prospects.
For #59, my ranking is: Macvan, Rabaseda, Bogdanovic, Benzing and Diot.

tdunk21
06-15-2011, 02:30 AM
Final early entry list:
http://www.nba.com/2011/news/06/14/2011-draft-withdrawals/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2

The situation regarding international prospects for Spurs is cery simple this year:
- There are 4 players (Biyombo, Motiejunas, Valanciunas and Vesely) who will be drafted well before#29.
- At #59, there are a bunch of international players born in 89. Some of them should be drafted earlier in the second round but none of them seems worth a first round pick.

I do like both Bertans and Mirotic at #29. Both won't be able to contribute before a long time but they are good prospects.

so u mean to say this years both draft picks will be draft and stash somewhere?

Bruno
06-15-2011, 02:53 AM
so u mean to say this years both draft picks will be draft and stash somewhere?

Nope, I should have been clearer. I was talking about who I like among international players.

mariners
06-15-2011, 02:56 AM
Don't know if this is true but I have heard the mavs are high on Bertans

Ditty
06-15-2011, 03:24 AM
Final early entry list:

Nice write up Bruno.

At this point no one can be really stingy who are pick is unless your picking in the lottery or early 20's. Still hoping Spurs can trade with Minnesota for the 20th pick if it means giving up Hill or Blair to take a gamble too see if Singleton or Harris are still there. I would love Mirotic, kid has a lot of talent, but of course his contract overseas is scarying teams off but doubt he drops to 59. Bertans is getting a lot of good reviews back from what it seems and has a better overseas contract, and still has a lot of more pontential. Still hoping Spurs can take Jajuan Johnson if he falls. Do you know this kid is falling so much Bruno? I lke the choices at 59. Haven't read too much on Macvan but seems to have a lot of offensive talent also, not as much as mirotic but doesn't seem too far off. Also I see a lot of similarties in xavi and bojan, but seems bojan is actually picked to be drafted. I see you picked rabaseda why is that? they also both seem to have some contract issues, so not sure if you picked him because of that. Also I really hope the Spurs don't select Vuvevic from USC.

My sceniros:
29:Mirotic
59:Rabaseda

29:Bertans
59:Macvan

29:Johnson
59:Rabaseda

Bruno
06-15-2011, 05:40 AM
Still hoping Spurs can take Jajuan Johnson if he falls. Do you know this kid is falling so much Bruno?

When you look at mock drafts, JaJuan Johnson is often available at #29. The real draft will be different but there is a good chance that Spurs can get him if they want him.

Also I see a lot of similarties in xavi and bojan, but seems bojan is actually picked to be drafted. I see you picked rabaseda why is that?

Commitment.

With European players, it is now important to wonder if these players want to go in the NBA one day. Last year, there even have a couple of talented Euros who ask team not to pick them.

Rabaseda went to the US to work out with some teams including Spurs. As far as I know, Bogdanovic hasn't done that kidn of thing and that's why I rather go with Rabaseda.

wildbill2u
06-15-2011, 04:22 PM
Doesn't Mirotic have a long term contract that would have to be bought out at almost $3 million? I don't see the Spurs paying that.