PDA

View Full Version : If you had to choose one impending apocalypse scenario...

Death In June
08-08-2010, 03:29 PM
I started a podcast with some friends of mine, and one of our topics this week is the apocalypse. What would be the most interesting, or most desirable situation and how would you survive it? Radioactive ants? Nuclear waste land? Biblical apocalypse? So, my obvious answer is zombies, simply because of the wealth of information we have on what to do / not do in every zombie situation. I'd use a prison complex as my base of operations, somewhere against a shoreline. I know it didn't work out so well in walking dead, but I still think it a sound strategy. You could also use the cell blocks as a means of trapping the obese and trading them as currency.

PublicOption
08-08-2010, 03:55 PM
wtf

nuclear war between the Koreas is the most likely scenario.

2pac > Kobe
08-08-2010, 08:17 PM
Zombies mos def, I have dreams about that shit and it would be fun

bigzak25
08-08-2010, 09:36 PM
if i had to guess,

nuclear detonation in the holy land.

Israel practically wiped from the map.

finger pointing and itchy trigger fingers from all nations ensue.

after that, who knows...

MannyIsGod
08-08-2010, 09:50 PM
The rapture. Get Zak and Angel Luv the fuck out of here and lets party.

bigzak25
08-08-2010, 09:51 PM
Angel Luv has already gone...haven't you noticed?

MannyIsGod
08-08-2010, 09:52 PM
And the rest of us stayed behind.

Fuck Veronica was the only one that got taken.

:lmao

bigzak25
08-08-2010, 09:54 PM
:lol true...

TDMVPDPOY
08-08-2010, 09:56 PM
all males die, leaving me behind to cater the sexual needs of females...let the reproducing begin

Dr. Gonzo
08-08-2010, 09:59 PM
Airborne AIDS epidemic for sure.

phyzik
08-08-2010, 11:57 PM
Zombies mos def, I have dreams about that shit and it would be fun

This.

Not even a nightmare anymore... I DREAM for this shit.... I would shoot all of you.... and it would be a relief to do so without any reprecussions regarding my consciense.

I would shoot my family if it came down to them being zombies and my survival. :ihit

This is if it was zombies though... I wouldnt just go all willie-nillie on people, certainly not my family.

You get bit, your fair game.... I would expect nothing less from my brothers and friends if I got infected. I'd shoot myself first.... but then again, I know I'd survive so whatever. :lol

BruceBowenFan
08-09-2010, 12:00 AM
Zombies for sure, first i would go to heb and stock up on ramen and water, then over to a gun shop and barricade myself inside.

scott
08-09-2010, 12:03 AM
Zombies. Obvi.

phyzik
08-09-2010, 12:04 AM
Zombies for sure, first i would go to heb and stock up on ramen and water, then over to a gun shop and barricade myself inside.

ugghhh.... Ramen.... I have had enough of that shit to last me a lifetime to do without it...

Id even prefer greenbeens or spinach over Ramen every day. :lol

Aside from that, going to a big supermarket would be a big mistake in a zombie invasion.... You need to hit up the small convenient stores and haliscos. Break into remote vending machines. Hit up the random small corner gun shops.... Not the big ones.....

ask yourself, what are the big stores going to attract??? the largest ammount of people.... and thats going to attract the largest ammount of zombies.

You need to THINK!!! :toast

BruceBowenFan
08-09-2010, 12:09 AM
idk man, i figure ramen because it is easy to make. and really how many random gun stores do you see i have seen like like 3.

FatBeaner
08-09-2010, 12:19 AM
ugghhh.... Ramen.... I have had enough of that shit to last me a lifetime to do without it...

Id even prefer greenbeens or spinach over Ramen every day. :lol

Aside from that, going to a big supermarket would be a big mistake in a zombie invasion.... You need to hit up the small convenient stores and haliscos. Break into remote vending machines. Hit up the random small corner gun shops.... Not the big ones.....

ask yourself, what are the big stores going to attract??? the largest ammount of people.... and thats going to attract the largest ammount of zombies.

You need to THINK!!! :toast

hell with that theory, I'm taking my family and my ammo straight to Costco and claiming it.

pawe
08-09-2010, 12:19 AM
Zombies for sure!
But I'll kill myself right away if Im one of the people who live in Japan, you cant win against ninja zombies anyway.

FatBeaner
08-09-2010, 12:21 AM
Zombies for sure!
But I'll kill myself right away if Im one of the people who live in Japan, you cant win against ninja zombies anyway.

:lol

austN Spur
08-09-2010, 02:13 AM
I've always liked the idea of a (resident evil type) Virus ending. You still get shoot undead types.

I have a nice supply of canned goods already, that without venturing out i we could last for a 2 week period atleast. This house is surrounded by these 20 feet skinny trees that we could knock down & block the streets in both directions. its a start.

redzero
08-09-2010, 02:17 AM
After playing too much Fallout 3, I have to choose nuclear wasteland.

mingus
08-09-2010, 04:01 AM
snake invasion. then find out where samuel jackson is and stay with him because at least i would die in style.

JamStone
08-09-2010, 08:52 AM
Body snatching alien invasion, even better if the aliens target hot 18-21 year old girls to body snatch and kill us during sex. I don't mind dying that way, as long as it were quick and painless and it's after I bust my shot.

ElMuerto
08-09-2010, 08:56 AM
zombies for sure!
But i'll kill myself right away if im one of the people who live in japan, you cant win against ninja zombies anyway.

+1

JoeChalupa
08-09-2010, 09:50 AM
Nuclear holocaust or a major plague.

coyotes_geek
08-09-2010, 10:10 AM
Idiocracy becomes reality.......

Cry Havoc
08-09-2010, 10:21 AM

Dude, do you know how much it would suck to have to take anti-radiation meds every day?

Nathan Explosion
08-09-2010, 11:35 AM
If I want to die instantly, I'd go for an apocalypse like in the moving Knowing. Instant death.

Zombies seems like fun but I don't want to watch my back for the rest of my life. Plus, what if they're not zombies, but zombie like people like in 28 Days Later? Now that would suck.

ididnotnothat
08-09-2010, 11:46 AM
If I want to die instantly, I'd go for an apocalypse like in the moving Knowing. Instant death.

Zombies seems like fun but I don't want to watch my back for the rest of my life. Plus, what if they're not zombies, but zombie like people like in 28 Days Later? Now that would suck.

I don't want a long, dragged out apocalypse either.

Drachen
08-09-2010, 11:48 AM

I don't understand the distinction, in 28 days later, they were zombies too, they just still had use of their physical abilities as their muscle tissue didn't immediately deteriorate at the moment of being infected like in other zombie movies.

Nathan Explosion
08-09-2010, 11:40 PM
I don't understand the distinction, in 28 days later, they were zombies too, they just still had use of their physical abilities as their muscle tissue didn't immediately deteriorate at the moment of being infected like in other zombie movies.

They weren't zombies because they weren't dead. Zombies are the walking dead. Plus, you have to be bitten to become a zombie. In 28 Days Later, you only had to had their blood penetrate an orifice without any actual contact being made.

Plus zombies are mindless. The infected were full of rage caused by a virus (of sorts) called rage, but could actually think and plan (remember 28 Weeks Later).

Forget Zombieland. That's just trying to combine zombies and 28 Days Later.

I want my zombies to be like in Shaun of the Dead. That way when we overcome them, we can put them to work. :)

Nathan Explosion
08-09-2010, 11:41 PM
Forgot to mention, I love Zombieland though. Cool movie. And Emma Stone was looking mighty hot in it as well.

Johnny RIngo
08-10-2010, 12:04 PM
Zombie apocalypse. Probably the safest when you consider the alternatives. Can't imagine the lifespan being very long in a nuclear wasteland unless you have a fallout shelter. Maybe an asteroid collision like in Lucifer's Hammer/Deep Impact but I'd need time to get to high enough ground before the tidal waves hit.

hater
08-10-2010, 12:21 PM
hot amazon alien females landing on earth enslaving earth women and most men and saving a few including me as reproductive stallions

~~~~~~
08-11-2010, 12:40 PM
Whoa!
fuKz0irZP7w

in2deep
08-11-2010, 12:47 PM
I'm surprised noone has mentioned the most likely scenario. A superbug that kills most if not all humanity. Signs have already been pointing to this for years...

just today:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-10925411

New 'superbug' found in UK hospitals

By Michelle Roberts Health reporter, BBC News
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/48681000/jpg/_48681637_ecolispl.jpg NDM-1 has been found in E.coli bacteria
A new superbug that is resistant to even the most powerful antibiotics has entered UK hospitals, experts warn.
They say bacteria that make an enzyme called NDM-1 have travelled back with NHS patients who went abroad to countries like India and Pakistan for treatments such as cosmetic surgery.
Although there have only been about 50 cases identified in the UK so far, scientists fear it will go global.
Tight surveillance and new drugs are needed says Lancet Infectious Diseases.
Continue reading the main story (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-10925411#story_continues_1) “Start Quote

The fear would be that it gets into a strain of bacteria that is very good at being transmitted between patients”
End Quote Dr David Livermore Researcher from the HPA

Q&A: NDM-1 superbugs (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-10930031)

NDM-1 can exist inside different bacteria, like E.coli, and it makes them resistant to one of the most powerful groups of antibiotics - carbapenems.
These are generally reserved for use in emergencies and to combat hard-to-treat infections caused by other multi-resistant bacteria.
And experts fear NDM-1 could now jump to other strains of bacteria that are already resistant to many other antibiotics.
Ultimately, this could produce dangerous infections that would spread rapidly from person to person and be almost impossible to treat.
At least one of the NDM-1 infections the researchers analysed was resistant to all known antibiotics.
Similar infections have been seen in the US, Canada, Australia and the Netherlands and international researchers say that NDM-1 could become a major global health problem.
Infections have already been passed from patient to patient in UK hospitals.
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/48690000/gif/_48690335_hotspots464x284.gif
The way to stop NDM-1, say researchers, is to rapidly identify and isolate any hospital patients who are infected.
Normal infection control measures, such as disinfecting hospital equipment and doctors and nurses washing their hands with antibacterial soap, can stop the spread.
And currently, most of the bacteria carrying NDM-1 have been treatable using a combination of different antibiotics.
Continue reading the main story (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-10925411#story_continues_2) Analysis

Geeta Pandey BBC News, Delhi
The Indian health ministry and the medical fraternity are yet to see the Lancet report but doctors in India say they are not surprised by the discovery of the new superbug.
"There is little drug control in India and an irrational use of antibiotics," Delhi-based Dr Arti Vashisth told the BBC.
Doctors say common antibiotics have become ineffective in India partly because people can buy them over the counter and indulge in self-medication. They also take small doses and discontinue treatment.
Gastroenterologist Vishnu Chandra Agarwal says in the past year he has come across many patients with E.coli infections who have not responded to regular antibiotics.
"In about a dozen cases, I have used a chemical - furadantin - to treat my patients. And it has worked. It makes them horribly nauseous, but it works," he says.

But the potential of NDM-1 to become endemic worldwide is "clear and frightening", say the researchers in The Lancet infectious diseases paper (http://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(10)70143-2/abstract).
The research was carried out by experts at Cardiff University, the Health Protection Agency and international colleagues.
Dr David Livermore, one of the researchers and who works for the UK's Health Protection Agency (HPA), said: "There have been a number of small clusters within the UK, but far and away the greater number of cases appear to be associated with travel and hospital treatment in the Indian subcontinent.
"This type of resistance has become quite widespread there.
"The fear would be that it gets into a strain of bacteria that is very good at being transmitted between patients."
He said the threat was a serious global public health problem as there are few suitable new antibiotics in development and none that are effective against NDM-1.
The Department of Health has already put out an alert on the issue, he said.
"We issue these alerts very sparingly when we see new and disturbing resistance."
Travel history
The National Resistance Alert came in 2009 after the HPA noted an increasing number of cases - some fatal - emerging in the UK.

The Lancet study looked back at some of the NDM-1 cases referred to the HPA up to 2009 from hospitals scattered across the UK.
At least 17 of the 37 patients they studied had a history of travelling to India or Pakistan within the past year, and 14 of them had been admitted to a hospital in these countries - many for cosmetic surgery.
For some of the patients the infection was mild, while others were seriously ill, and some with blood poisoning.
A Department of Health spokeswoman said: "We are working with the HPA on this issue.
"Hospitals need to ensure they continue to provide good infection control to prevent any spread, consider whether patients have recently been treated abroad and send samples to HPA for testing.
"So far there has only been a small number of cases in UK hospital patients. The HPA is continuing to monitor the situation and we are investigating ways of encouraging the development of new antibiotics with our European colleagues."
The Welsh Assembly Government said it would be "fully considering" the report.
"The NHS in Wales is used to dealing with multi-resistant bacteria using standard microbiological approaches, and would deal with any new bacteria in a similar way," said a spokesperson.

redzero
08-11-2010, 03:14 PM
Dude, do you know how much it would suck to have to take anti-radiation meds every day?

Didn't it take 1000 rads to kill the player? I should be fine.

IronMexican
08-11-2010, 03:16 PM
Didn't it take 1000 rads to kill the player? I should be fine.

Fallout?

redzero
08-11-2010, 03:20 PM
Fallout?

Yes.

IronMexican
08-11-2010, 03:22 PM
I remember one time I walked to this area and I was getting killed by Radiation. That was after walking around the main area without saving for aboout 2-3 hours. That game was so much fun.

Pretty pumped for New Vegas.

Muser
08-11-2010, 03:22 PM

Great game :tu

redzero
08-11-2010, 03:24 PM
I remember one time I walked to this area and I was getting killed by Radiation. That was after walking around the main area without saving for aboout 2-3 hours. That game was so much fun.

Pretty pumped for New Vegas.

I am anxious for New Vegas, too. There bet be at least seven followers available, because that's how I roll.

IronMexican
08-11-2010, 03:27 PM
I am anxious for New Vegas, too. There bet be at least seven followers available, because that's how I roll.

I want Charon back. Just make him as strong as that Mutant I hated. That guy took all my kills.

Chomag
08-11-2010, 03:32 PM
Zombies dude. I mean come on! There is a guide out and all!:lol

redzero
08-11-2010, 03:35 PM
I want Charon back. Just make him as strong as that Mutant I hated. That guy took all my kills.

Charon or Clover. Those two are awesome.

z0sa
08-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Nuclear apocalypse would be the shittiest for the survivors. Basically a ticking clock on human survival as we either became infertile as a whole or spawned humanoid monstrosities due to contamination.

Zombies wouldn't be as terrible but the reality is, very few would have nearly enough ammo and guns period to defend themselves from the hordes, even in groups. So at some point, everyone would probably become a zombie.

The Stand is probably my favorite Stephen King book and has made me deliberate on whether that would be the best apocalypse scenario (superbug), assuming I survived and was immune. No crazy zombies or lingering effects (hopefully).

Dunno. Choosing humanity's doom is a difficult choice.

IronMexican
08-11-2010, 03:44 PM
Charon or Clover. Those two are awesome.

I rolled with Charon and Dogmeat.

I want something awesome in New Vegas. A tiger, or something.

redzero
08-11-2010, 03:48 PM
I rolled with Charon and Dogmeat.

I want something awesome in New Vegas. A tiger, or something.

A mutant white tiger would be awesome.