PDA

View Full Version : SUV / Minivan Recommendations

Kori Ellis
08-09-2010, 09:46 AM
Let me preface this by saying, I don't need a list of environmental reasons why we shouldn't buy one. I'm just wondering if any of you have any recommendations for 7-passenger SUVs or minivans (or ones to avoid).

Thanks.

coyotes_geek
08-09-2010, 09:54 AM
Used to drive a GMC Yukon. I liked it. Plenty of room for 7. Drove well enough. Mileage wasn't great, but still comprable to what most mid-size SUV's are getting these days. I put 130k miles on it without any significant engine trouble, but there was a trend of little nuisance items going out on me.

lebomb
08-09-2010, 09:54 AM
I rented a 2010 Chrysler Touring mini van..........it was very, very nice. The only complaint I had was the armrests were a bit hard. My elbows started aching after awhile.

Nice touches? Power sliding doors with the remote alarm........power rear door. Lots of cup holders and pockets for storage. It drove great, smooth and had plenty of power. I had 6 people and gang of stuff stored behind the rear seat for vacation........... :toast

I own a Tahoe and its very smooth driving and extremely reliable but doesnt have a 3rd row, so I needed a mini van.

Kori Ellis
08-09-2010, 09:58 AM
I rented a 2010 Chrysler Touring mini van..........it was very, very nice. The only complaint I had was the armrests were a bit hard. My elbows started aching after awhile.

Nice touches? Power sliding doors with the remote alarm........power rear door. Lots of cup holders and pockets for storage. It drove great, smooth and had plenty of power. I had 6 people and gang of stuff stored behind the rear seat for vacation........... :toast

I own a Tahoe and its very smooth driving and extremely reliable but doesnt have a 3rd row, so I needed a mini van.

Your Tahoe doesn't have a third row? I thought Tahoe's were for 7-8 passengers?

coyotes_geek
IIRC 3rd row seat is optional in Tahoe/Yukon.

tlongII
Get an SUV. Minivans are just too family-ish and apple pie-ish. LJ can still look like a badass in an SUV, but not in a minivan.

Sportcamper
08-09-2010, 09:59 AM
7 passengers? You are talking Yank Tanks…Suburban & Expeditions…Ford has the edge in reliability & quality…August is a great time to buy a Ford due to 0% financing & cash backs…

If you can get buy with a smaller vehicle Honda makes a nice minivan…I think Honda products are the most trouble free you can own…

I would stay away from Chrysler products no matter how good the deal is…

mrsmaalox
08-09-2010, 10:03 AM
It's been a while since I've had one, but for 3 carseats a minivan is the way to go. But not too mini, get as big a one as you can. It makes things much, much easier if you can actually get into the van itself to deal with the kids than it is to stand at the door and try to reach each one. Also I recommend one without a front seat "center console"; I found that I liked being able to get to each kid right away without having to stop the car, get out, and walk around to the passenger doors---my husband just pulled off the road and I was immediately with whoever needed me. I had an AWD Chevy Astro Van. I don't know if they still make those, but the thing was a workhorse---moved us from Washington, to Georgia, to Maryland and then to Texas (with a dog, a hamster, and a bird) without any problems.

tlongII
08-09-2010, 10:04 AM
A lot of this is going to depend on your budget. I like the LX models by Lexus the best, but they cost as much as half a house. The GX models are also nice and a "little" more affordable. Check out the Toyotas since they're the same platform.

desflood
08-09-2010, 10:06 AM
If you can get buy with a smaller vehicle Honda makes a nice minivan…I think Honda products are the most trouble free you can own…
I have older relatives who, as grandparents, won't drive anything other than the Odyssey. Priced a little higher, but they swear it's worth every penny.

Sportcamper
08-09-2010, 10:19 AM
Tlong- Spoken like a single rich guy… Lexus? :lol

What’s needed is a basic family vehicle for kids & their friends...Ford, Chevy or Honda…Where talking vehicle with spaghettios smeared on the windows, ice cream on the seats, French fries smeared in the door panels…Its what kids do…

Desflood- The Honda Mini Van is a well made, easy to drive vehicle...I think it is the best of the Mini Van bunch...

desflood
08-09-2010, 10:26 AM
Desflood- The Honda Mini Van is a well made, easy to drive vehicle...I think it is the best of the Mini Van bunch...
Yeah, my kids have outgrown the VUE - time to trade in for something bigger. The Honda is my first choice so far.

But I love my VUE :(

gatoloco
08-09-2010, 10:27 AM
Fuel economy is not the best, but if it was me and I had the money, I'd go Sequoia.

http://www.toyota.com/img/vehicles/2010/sequoia/gallery/full/2008-Sequoia-3.jpg

Cry Havoc
08-09-2010, 10:37 AM
Something else you might want to consider is the condition of the roads around you/where you'll be driving it. If you don't plan on taking long trips, OR you hit a bunch of large bumps/potholes/bad roads, the drivetrain of the SUV will hold up much better over the long haul. Probably the engine too, since they typically pack V-8 powerplants that run forever.

If you plan on going cross-country, a minivan is going to give you superior MPG, but probably won't offer as much interior room or look as cool. SUVs are also far better at towing, not getting stuck in bad weather conditions, etc.

CosmicCowboy
08-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Kori, y'all should look at the Buick Enclave before you buy. It's getting rave reviews in the 7 seat crossover category.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Buick_Enclave/

If you want to go larger the top line Ford Expeditions are really slick. We had no problem with two car seats last time the grandkids were in town with plenty of room to spare. Three would have been no problem.

Where the Expedition totally kicks the Suburban/Tahoe's ass is in the versatility of the back row seating. Just flip a switch and it lays down flat and disappears. No wrestling with the third row seats taking them in/out like the Suburban/Tahoes.

Viva Las Espuelas
08-09-2010, 10:54 AM
The honda one is pretty spacious. I just can't remember the name right now. A buddy of mine houses his 4 kids and wife in there pretty good. Add me to that equation and it still housed everyone comfortably.

Wait. I think it's called the Honda odyssey.

Sportcamper
08-09-2010, 11:08 AM
Buick cars have been the most reliable of the GM line for two decades…The problem I have with Buick are too few dealers…Will your local Chevy dealer work on them now that GM has closed so many dealerships? Before buying a Buick see how many dealerships are available close to your home…

Also Buick's don’t seem to have the cash back offers & price wiggle room that Ford & Chevy have…

CosmicCowboy
08-09-2010, 11:21 AM
Buick cars have been the most reliable of the GM line for two decades…The problem I have with Buick are too few dealers…Will your local Chevy dealer work on them now that GM has closed so many dealerships? Before buying a Buick see how many dealerships are available close to your home…

Also Buick's don’t seem to have the cash back offers & price wiggle room that Ford & Chevy have…

Oh, you aren't gonna make a "deal" on an Enclave, but theres a reason people are still willing to play sticker...

lebomb
08-09-2010, 11:26 AM

No...........at the time we needed space for 5..............also, the 3rd seat was like a $5000 option. :wow

CuckingFunt
08-09-2010, 11:27 AM
I'm not a huge SUV fan, for their looks as much as anything else, but I recently rode in a friend's Honda Pilot and really liked it. Seating for 8, I think, and at almost 6' tall I was still pretty comfortable in the back seat.

Admittedly, I haven't a clue how it would do with three kids in car seats, though. It's not something I usually think about.

Drachen
08-09-2010, 11:28 AM
I have a 2007 Dodge Grand caravan, and I have to tell you it is as cool as a minivan can be (admittedly, this is not very cool relative to other stuff). Yes I call it my swagger wagon. Anyway, the stow and go seating is phenomenal I can go from 3 rows of seats to only the two front seats and a flat floor for moving stuff in a total of about a minute. It is spacious and it seems that it is one of the things that Dodge was able to get right.

Drachen
08-09-2010, 11:29 AM
No...........at the time we needed space for 5..............also, the 3rd seat was like a $5000 option. :wow

Go to pick and pull, and grab a third row seat off of a tahoe, save some money.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-09-2010, 11:33 AM
Fuel economy is not the best, but if it was me and I had the money, I'd go Sequoia.

http://www.toyota.com/img/vehicles/2010/sequoia/gallery/full/2008-Sequoia-3.jpg

I'd agree here. They no longer make the Sequoia but you can still buy used ones for cheap or they might have some unsold new ones. My mom has had a Sequoia and 60,000 miles later has never experienced any problems with it, the back row comes out if you want space to haul stuff. The only issue with it is it's not the most spacious 8 seater in the world.

lebomb
08-09-2010, 11:40 AM
Go to pick and pull, and grab a third row seat off of a tahoe, save some money.

My Tahoe doesnt even have the structure to mount the seat............I think that is why it was such a huge $ option. The back floor is clean, doesnt have the mounting tracks. :depressed

Drachen
08-09-2010, 11:50 AM
My Tahoe doesnt even have the structure to mount the seat............I think that is why it was such a huge $ option. The back floor is clean, doesnt have the mounting tracks. :depressed

That sucks, is there a floor mat you can lift up or something? I bought a redezvous without the third row, but it has the structure there if I ever wanted to buy one.

I guess I just assumed they were all like that.

MannyIsGod
08-09-2010, 11:55 AM
Find out whatever consumer reports rates well then go on a ton of test drives.

lebomb
08-09-2010, 11:58 AM
That sucks, is there a floor mat you can lift up or something? I bought a redezvous without the third row, but it has the structure there if I ever wanted to buy one.

Unfortunately no. The dealer even told us it didnt have the structure. Thats OK...........We rarely need more than the 2 rows anyhow.

ashbeeigh
08-09-2010, 12:02 PM
Whatever the new Chevy 7 seater one is looks pretty nifty. Not that I have kids to haul around or anything (just their paperwork). I can hardly deal with my Jett'a blind spot.

Lots of our foster parents have suburbans. So, perhaps the Yukon would be a good option. I believe they come in a fuel flex option now as well.

mrsmaalox
08-09-2010, 12:04 PM
I drive an Expedition now and it's fine, very roomy, hauls a lot of people and stuff. I would easily recommend one or any suv if your 3 kids are independently mobile. If they can climb in and out, get to their own carseats and not require much help from you then they are nice. We had a van and an suv with 3 carseats and the van was much, much more convenient.

PM5K
08-09-2010, 01:49 PM
I can hardly deal with my Jett'a blind spot.

lol.

Don Ready
08-09-2010, 02:30 PM

Its optional.

There are several 3rd row SUVs I could name but its depending on what kind of budget your trying to stay at. Somebody else mentioned the Honda Pilot which is also a nice option in terms of driveability, space and value. Hondas are very good at retaining value and last forever. Tahoes are also very nice but I'm a Chevy guy. Hope this helps.

jcrod
08-09-2010, 02:35 PM
We bought a 08 Chrysler Town & Country Touring Signature Series. I've always said I would never buy a Mini Van, but my wife had to look at them when she saw the stow and go. We started off looking at Dodge Caravan, but once we saw the Town & Country we were hooked. I got a great deal on it, mine is fully loaded leather, two monitors, dvd player, two separate audio video hookups, memory where you can upload your itunes....i didn't know then, but you can get it with Sirius TV which has nickeloden, Cartoon network and Disney Channel. My wife and three kids love it.

Mark in Austin
08-09-2010, 02:42 PM
Oh, you aren't gonna make a "deal" on an Enclave, but theres a reason people are still willing to play sticker...

My list would include the Enclave, but I'm actually partial to the styling on the GMC Acadia - same underpinings as the Enclave but not quite as fancy. And the Chevy Traverse is also getting pretty good reviews.

I've also been very impressed with the Ford Flex - but wasn't really paying attention to the backseat room. But the Flex was really, really nice up front.

Haven't seen the new Explorer yet but from the website it looks impressive. IMO Ford is doing the best right now in terms of great interior styling in the SUV market. Materials and tolerances are easily the best of the domestics - and I actually like the Flex interior better than anything Honda or Toyota have put out.

Last, the Toyota Highlander seats seven I think - and from a fuel economy standpoint it is terrific - especially the Hybrid version.

Here's what the same website CC used has to say about the Acadia (there's also blurbs in there about the Flex and Highlander):

The GMC Acadia is an ideal minivan alternative. Its base price may seem high, but in return you get seating for seven or eight, massive cargo capacity, and excellent fuel economy.

On the surface, the Acadia may not seem like the best deal. It’s nearly $32,000 base price is one of the highest in its class and its fuel economy is only about average. But when you delve a little deeper, you’ll see that the Acadia is actually a great value.

"Acadia is tailor-made for buyers who need a minivan but don't want to drive one," says Consumer Guide. "This crossover is dynamically capable, comes standard with a host of safety features, and offers several unusual and useful options."

The GMC Acadia can seat more people and carry more cargo than most of its direct competitors. It can even match some large SUVs in these areas -- and they’ll cost you thousands of dollars more and return much lower fuel economy. In fact, for an eight-passenger SUV, the Acadia’s base fuel economy rating (17/24 mpg city/highway) is excellent.

In fact, the Acadia has few faults other than its seemingly high base price. It’s not great for towing or venturing off-road, but the Acadia is a family hauler in the truest sense. Its third row can accommodate adults, it does very well in crash tests, and it offers features that you won’t find on most of its competitors (such as a Head-Up Display and remote vehicle start).

Other SUVs to Consider
Though the Acadia offers you a lot for the money, it’s still downright expensive. No three-row vehicle in its class can match its cavernous cargo space -- it offers 24.1 cubic feet with all seats in use -- but if you can live without the extra space, there are more affordable options.

The Ford Flex has the same fuel economy rating and starts at almost $2,800 less than the Acadia. It seats six or seven (as opposed to eight), but its two-person third row is even more spacious than the Acadia’s. Other than that, the Flex’s real trump card is its styling. No other SUV, minivan or wagon looks nearly as cool or packs in so many family-friendly features. The Flex offers an optional second-row refrigerated console, a dual-headrest DVD entertainment system, and a reclining and power-folding second row.

If you’re concerned about fuel economy, look at the Toyota Highlander. Equipped with its optional third-row seat, it only saves about $2,000 as compared to the Acadia -- but it comes with a much higher base fuel economy rating (20/27 mpg city/highway). However, the Highlander seats only seven and has less than half the Acadia’s cargo room with all seats in use.

Ryvin1
08-09-2010, 03:01 PM
Mazda 5 has a built in third row but since the 2nd row are also bucket seats like the front it seats 6, think some might have a 2nd row that seats 3, ours doesn't. My wife likes it better then the expedition we had. Drives like a car, easier to park, easier on gas, sliding doors are nice we don't have to worry about the kids hitting other cars getting out opening car doors. I think the starting base was 16k. 22k with all options, if 6 seats will do might be worth checking out.

http://www.auto123.com/media/videos/specs/2009/mazda/en/mazda5.jpg

http://www.hotelraider.com/site/databank/pictures/auto_uploaded/mazda5_interior.jpg

bigzak25
08-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Last, the Toyota Highlander seats seven I think - and from a fuel economy standpoint it is terrific - especially the Hybrid version.

Me and wifey got a highlander in 2006 Kori.

Quality vehicle. The styling has changed since then though, and I think they run a little bigger which may be good for you since you got 3 bambinos.

Have to agree with the fuel economy, even though wifey's is not a hybrid.

Good luck!

(Try to wait a couple months if you can when dealers are prone to give better deals to unload 2010 models in anticipation of the 2011s...also don't settle for anything above a 0% interest rate if you can, and I know Toyota hands those out on the reg.)

Kori Ellis
08-09-2010, 04:44 PM
Thanks for everyone's recommendations. We are likely just going to trade in our car and pay cash for the balance, so I'm not concerned about interest rates, etc. We don't drive to work everyday or anything since both of us work from home; so we don't worry too much about mileage.

We just want something roomy and reliable. For example, we rented a minivan (Dodge Caravan?) when we were on vacation in Virginia and we could barely fit the two of us, three babies in car seats, one other person plus a little luggage. So I started hating minivans :lol because it wasn't convenient at all and had very little cargo room. Then I started looking at the bigger SUVs and crossovers.

We were considering the Buick Enclave, Chevy Traverse, GMC Acadia, Hyundai Veracruz, Toyota Highlander and a few others. So I wanted to know your opinions/experiences.

Thanks.

Sense
08-09-2010, 04:47 PM
Kori, y'all should look at the Buick Enclave before you buy. It's getting rave reviews in the 7 seat crossover category.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Buick_Enclave/

If you want to go larger the top line Ford Expeditions are really slick. We had no problem with two car seats last time the grandkids were in town with plenty of room to spare. Three would have been no problem.

Where the Expedition totally kicks the Suburban/Tahoe's ass is in the versatility of the back row seating. Just flip a switch and it lays down flat and disappears. No wrestling with the third row seats taking them in/out like the Suburban/Tahoes.

This

Sportcamper
08-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Five people plus vacation & baby stuff…This changes everything…

I think you guys are legitimate candidates for a ¾ ton, big block Suburban…The new crossovers & new minivans are awesome vehicles, sporty, modern suspension, great for all around town stuff…But when you add vacations to the equation, toys, camping stuff, ice chest, maybe the kids add a friend, the ¾ ton Suburban is King…I had mine for 21 years…

Kori Ellis
08-09-2010, 06:17 PM
Five people plus vacation & baby stuff…This changes everything…

I think you guys are legitimate candidates for a ¾ ton, big block Suburban…The new crossovers & new minivans are awesome vehicles, sporty, modern suspension, great for all around town stuff…But when you add vacations to the equation, toys, camping stuff, ice chest, maybe the kids add a friend, the ¾ ton Suburban is King…I had mine for 21 years…

Honestly, we probably won't go on vacation for a long time (and certainly won't drive until they are older). Vacation with little kids is hard - three babies changing planes - not pretty :lol However, we want it to have room for 2 adults, 3-4 babies in seats, and maybe one other person on occasion -- and then a little cargo room. The minivan we had literally didn't have room for two small suitcases, the third row was very small, and it had no headroom.

Sportcamper
08-09-2010, 06:21 PM
I can honestly say that we filled up our Suburban to the max every summer…A mini van would not have worked out for us…Plus there are times when you transport play pens, toys, ice chest, Fido, Ant Edna….The Huge Yank Tanks are perfect for this…

balli
08-09-2010, 06:22 PM
We were considering the Buick Enclave, Chevy Traverse, GMC Acadia, Hyundai Veracruz, Toyota Highlander and a few others. So I wanted to know your opinions/experiences.
I would second the Highlander recommendations. Especially if it's hybrid. I was just having a conversation a couple weeks ago with my dear auntie Julie where she described how much she liked hers. And how reliable it's been.

I don't know anything about those others, but the GMC branded Suburban my family owned during the 90's only lasted 65,000 miles before completely imploding. Meanwhile, my 1990 landcruiser is pushing 200,000 miles and is steady as a Clydesdale. Always go Japanese. IMHO.

I don't know if you guys have looked at anything Subaru makes, or if anything they make is large enough, but theirs are absolutely great motor vehicles.

TDMVPDPOY
08-09-2010, 07:02 PM
buy a horse and carriage, its fkn cheaper then a car to operate

jcrod
08-09-2010, 08:51 PM
Honestly, we probably won't go on vacation for a long time (and certainly won't drive until they are older). Vacation with little kids is hard - three babies changing planes - not pretty :lol However, we want it to have room for 2 adults, 3-4 babies in seats, and maybe one other person on occasion -- and then a little cargo room. The minivan we had literally didn't have room for two small suitcases, the third row was very small, and it had no headroom.

If you want seat that many people then all the options you listed above will not get it done. You need a large SUV Expedition/Suburban. We are two adults, a teen, five year old, and a three year old. We fit just fine in a minivan when we drive on a trip.

Kori Ellis
08-09-2010, 08:54 PM
If you want seat that many people then all the options you listed above will not get it done. You need a large SUV Expedition/Suburban. We are two adults, a teen, five year old, and a three year old. We fit just fine in a minivan when we drive on a trip.

All the options I listed are 7 or 8 passenger SUVs. So they should fit 2 (sometimes 3) adults and 3-4 babies, right?

ploto
08-09-2010, 10:28 PM
I know nothing of mini-vans or SUV's, but I can tell you this. As kids get older, you need room in your car for that many backpacks, and that many sports bags, and that many school projects...

Kori Ellis
08-09-2010, 10:46 PM
I know nothing of mini-vans or SUV's, but I can tell you this. As kids get older, you need room in your car for that many backpacks, and that many sports bags, and that many school projects...

Yeah, that's why the room behind the third row is important to me, though it will be a long while before they go to school. It looks like the Chevy Traverse has significantly more room than the others in the same range.

jcrod
08-10-2010, 01:08 AM
All the options I listed are 7 or 8 passenger SUVs. So they should fit 2 (sometimes 3) adults and 3-4 babies, right?

Not as comfortable as it seems you want to be. Those will not give you more room than a minivan, they're midsize SUV's. If you want to have plenty of room you need a full size/large SUV, you need to shop around for Ford Expedition, Tahoe/Suburban, or Toyota Sequoia.

Kori Ellis
08-10-2010, 03:06 AM
Not as comfortable as it seems you want to be. Those will not give you more room than a minivan, they're midsize SUV's. If you want to have plenty of room you need a full size/large SUV, you need to shop around for Ford Expedition, Tahoe/Suburban, or Toyota Sequoia.

Yeah, I'm not sure we need that big of an SUV, but we'll see. I figure a mid-size SUV that "seats 8" should be comfortable for 6.

John Terry
08-10-2010, 08:06 AM

I think a SUV would be too prodigious for your kinky asian body. Maybe that's a bit too luxurious but a pram is what exactly you need TBH.

John Terry
08-10-2010, 08:07 AM
an SUV isn't meant to be fuel efficient so there's no reason to buy a toyota, whose only advantage is the good fuel/mile rate

PM5K
08-10-2010, 08:09 AM
If LJ is willing to drive one buy a minivan, I probably never would but I have to admit they are so well designed as far as carrying a lot of people, especially kids. They have all of these storage bins, seats that do all kinds of crazy shit, doors that slide open with the push of a button on both sides, etc.

desflood
08-10-2010, 08:10 AM
A few years back we bought an old GMC conversion van. Terrible on gas, but tons of space. It's taken 5 people comfortably to MI and back 3 years in a row. Tons of space = I don't have to hear, "He's touching me!" for 3000 miles.

PM5K
08-10-2010, 08:12 AM
A few years back we bought an old GMC conversion van. Terrible on gas, but tons of space. It's taken 5 people comfortably to MI and back 3 years in a row. Tons of space = I don't have to hear, "He's touching me!" for 3000 miles.

How bout you just stop touching them?

Drachen
08-10-2010, 08:24 AM
Yeah, I'm not sure we need that big of an SUV, but we'll see. I figure a mid-size SUV that "seats 8" should be comfortable for 6.

Kori, you have to know by now that "seating 8" doesn't mean 8 comfortably, also consider that seating 8 immediatly = seating 6 or less when you factor in 3-4 car seats. In the Grand caravan, I could comfortably seat 2 adults and 4 babies in car seats on with a little space between them (2nd row is two captains chairs and 3rd row would have about a foot between two car seats). Also I could fit a decent amount of luggage in the back (the caravan is much shorter than the grand caravan, plus the cargo area is deep). In this configuration, you won't get a third adult in there, but all of the occupants would be comfortable. TBH for that many people's luggage, I will say that you are probably looking at stacking everything up in the cargo space and putting a bag between the captains chairs on the first and second row. The question that you really need to ask yourself though (regardless of the direction you are thinking of going vis-a-vis which car to buy) is how often are you going to pack it to the hilt like that. If you are thinking a mid-size SUV or minivan, but realize that when you pack it to the hilt you won't be able to get it done, so you move on to a full sized suv, but spend 10k more, you could just as easily buy the mid-sized for all of your running around town and daily life, and for that one time a year that you plan on packing it to the gills, rent an expedition. This would likely save you money when you compare rental rates to the extra that you would have to pay for the vehicle, and the extra that you would have to pay for gas.

I don't know, just a suggestion.

As for John Terry's response, I really have no idea where you are going with that, unless you are a troll. If so, bad job, and kinda stupid.

John Terry
08-10-2010, 08:30 AM
Kori, you have to know by now that "seating 8" doesn't mean 8 comfortably, also consider that seating 8 immediatly = seating 6 or less when you factor in 3-4 car seats. In the Grand caravan, I could comfortably seat 2 adults and 4 babies in car seats on with a little space between them (2nd row is two captains chairs and 3rd row would have about a foot between two car seats). Also I could fit a decent amount of luggage in the back (the caravan is much shorter than the grand caravan, plus the cargo area is deep). In this configuration, you won't get a third adult in there, but all of the occupants would be comfortable. TBH for that many people's luggage, I will say that you are probably looking at stacking everything up in the cargo space and putting a bag between the captains chairs on the first and second row. The question that you really need to ask yourself though (regardless of the direction you are thinking of going vis-a-vis which car to buy) is how often are you going to pack it to the hilt like that. If you are thinking a mid-size SUV or minivan, but realize that when you pack it to the hilt you won't be able to get it done, so you move on to a full sized suv, but spend 10k more, you could just as easily buy the mid-sized for all of your running around town and daily life, and for that one time a year that you plan on packing it to the gills, rent an expedition. This would likely save you money when you compare rental rates to the extra that you would have to pay for the vehicle, and the extra that you would have to pay for gas.

I don't know, just a suggestion.

As for John Terry's response, I really have no idea where you are going with that, unless you are a troll. If so, bad job, and kinda stupid.

being an asshole myself I know how much of a shame it is, so I never give a straight response to the questions or statements about what I am. I'm an asshole... aren't you?

PM5K
08-10-2010, 08:30 AM
Yeah she does know that seating 8 doesn't mean you can actually seat 8 comfortably, that's why she said it should be able to seat 6, what are you fucking retarded?

CavsSuperFan
08-10-2010, 08:43 AM
There's little doubt what car would win the prize for world's most fantastic backseat. The Rolls-Royce Phantom can be outfitted with a limitless array of options including a refrigerator with crystal decanters and matching glasses. If you want to do a little work, there are tray tables with luxurious wood veneers. If you fancy a movie, the tops of the tray tables flip up to reveal real TV-sized video screens.

Base sticker price: $380,000

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2010/autos/1008/gallery.best_backseats/index.html

Drachen
08-10-2010, 08:47 AM
Yeah she does know that seating 8 doesn't mean you can actually seat 8 comfortably, that's why she said it should be able to seat 6, what are you fucking retarded?

Whoa the hostility, did you run out of your favorite cereal this morning? Actually she was asking about 6-7 actual people, 3-4 of which would be in car seats (for a time). By my (unscientific) calculations, considering the car seats, ... carry the 1 .... um I would think that she would need a 9 person (maybe greater) vehicle if she is hard set about that 4th baby and 3rd adult and being comfortable.

I think she has all of the answers she needs, however, because she really just needs to get out and test drive them, look at them, etc. and I think that is what she is doing.

Kori Ellis
08-10-2010, 09:31 AM
Whoa the hostility, did you run out of your favorite cereal this morning? Actually she was asking about 6-7 actual people, 3-4 of which would be in car seats (for a time). By my (unscientific) calculations, considering the car seats, ... carry the 1 .... um I would think that she would need a 9 person (maybe greater) vehicle if she is hard set about that 4th baby and 3rd adult and being comfortable.

I think she has all of the answers she needs, however, because she really just needs to get out and test drive them, look at them, etc. and I think that is what she is doing.

I'm not hardset about a third adult being comfortable - as that would be rare. I'm hardset on fitting up to 4 babies in car seats and 2 adults, plus have a little cargo room. I would think an "8 passenger" SUV would fit 6 people plus a little cargo. And I'm not talking about luggage - as I said, we won't be vacationing for a long time. I just told the vacation story because I was surprised on vacation that the rental minivan barely had room in the cargo area behind the third seat.

Drachen
08-10-2010, 09:35 AM
I'm not hardset about a third adult being comfortable - as that would be rare. I'm hardset on fitting up to 4 babies in car seats and 2 adults, plus have a little cargo room. I would think an "8 passenger" SUV would fit 6 people plus a little cargo. And I'm not talking about luggage - as I said, we won't be vacationing for a long time. I just told the vacation story because I was surprised on vacation that the rental minivan barely had room in the cargo area behind the third seat.

Ok, my mistake, thanks for clarifying. Well I think you have enough suggestions to last you a while. :lol I will leave you to test driving.

tlongII
08-10-2010, 09:42 AM
Go with the Lexus LX. That's your best bet! :tu

Kori Ellis
08-10-2010, 09:47 AM
Go with the Lexus LX. That's your best bet! :tu

At what price does it start? $80K? A little too much to have a baby throw up on it. :lol

PM5K
08-10-2010, 09:49 AM
Don't get a Jeep Commander, that's about all of the useful stuff I can add I think.

Cane
08-10-2010, 01:13 PM
My list would include the Enclave, but I'm actually partial to the styling on the GMC Acadia - same underpinings as the Enclave but not quite as fancy. And the Chevy Traverse is also getting pretty good reviews.

I've also been very impressed with the Ford Flex - but wasn't really paying attention to the backseat room. But the Flex was really, really nice up front.

Haven't seen the new Explorer yet but from the website it looks impressive. IMO Ford is doing the best right now in terms of great interior styling in the SUV market. Materials and tolerances are easily the best of the domestics - and I actually like the Flex interior better than anything Honda or Toyota have put out.

Here's what the same website CC used has to say about the Acadia (there's also blurbs in there about the Flex and Highlander):

These vehicles seem pretty good for what the OP is looking for although these car threads are useless without knowing what kind of price range we're working with imo.

Kori Ellis
08-10-2010, 01:20 PM
I don't care much about the price, but I don't want to spend $60K+ or anything when it's mainly for kids.

Cry Havoc
08-10-2010, 01:31 PM
I don't care much about the price, but I don't want to spend $60K+ or anything when it's mainly for kids.

No

http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/200807/porsche-cayenne-2-1_460x0w.jpg

for Kori and LJ? I bet he would like that. :p:

SpursWoman
08-10-2010, 01:37 PM
I would have most likely bought the Traverse if it had been around when I was buying my truck. It just might be my next vehicle. :)

KEDA
08-10-2010, 01:44 PM
Bmw x6...

Kori Ellis
08-10-2010, 01:48 PM
I would have most likely bought the Traverse if it had been around when I was buying my truck. It just might be my next vehicle. :)

Yeah it looks like it's far more roomy than the others (without going to a bigger SUV).

Kori Ellis
08-10-2010, 01:49 PM
Bmw x6...

:lol Isn't in 4 passenger?

ducks
08-10-2010, 02:04 PM
Let me preface this by saying, I don't need a list of environmental reasons why we shouldn't buy one. I'm just wondering if any of you have any recommendations for 7-passenger SUVs or minivans (or ones to avoid).

Thanks. stay away from the ford freestyle
we bought one throttle went out then other people have had transmittion problems to

traded it in and got a highlander
awesome

rav4 no air in back

highlander 2006 does not have rear air

if your credit is stellar they have no interst rates to on new

2011 are just starting to pop out
good time to buy a new 2010

Cane
08-10-2010, 02:14 PM
Hmm yea I'd look at the vehicles that Mark in Austin listed as well as the Mazda CX-9 and I'd also check out the Acura MDX if you want to get something pricier which can also seat 7, is packed with a ton of features, has a smart-AWD system, handles nicely while being luxurious, and is just an overall quality machine. Also about as reliable of a company as it gets (Acura = luxury Honda brand).

CosmicCowboy
08-10-2010, 02:20 PM
buy a horse and carriage, its fkn cheaper then a car to operate

You CLEARLY have never owned horses...

ducks
08-10-2010, 02:26 PM
the crossovers are nice but the same part ford was using in for the throttle jacket other makes were using
the company that made the part was in germany and they filed bankrapcy
the part cost 700 plus one hundred dollars for labor and only ford dealers can get it from a new company that is building them

also a waiting list

not convinced a crossovers are the way to go

the ford freesytle was fine tell about 50 thousand miles

power train warranty does not cover the trottle jacket
it is called emmision package also:rolleyes

spurster
08-10-2010, 04:10 PM
Find out whatever consumer reports rates well then go on a ton of test drives.

According to Consumer Reports Sept. 2010 issue, among their recommended vehicles:

Best for fuel economy:

Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Mazda5
Kia Rondo
Subaru Outback

Most accessible and roomiest third row:

Honda Odyssey
Chevrolet Traverse
Buick Enclave
Ford Flex

Best for cargo and large families:

Honda Odyssey
Chevrolet Traverse
Ford Flex

Kori Ellis
08-10-2010, 04:12 PM
According to Consumer Reports Sept. 2010 issue, among their recommended vehicles:

Best for fuel economy:

Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Mazda5
Kia Rondo
Subaru Outback

Most accessible and roomiest third row:

Honda Odyssey
Chevrolet Traverse
Buick Enclave
Ford Flex

Best for cargo and large families:

Honda Odyssey
Chevrolet Traverse
Ford Flex

Thanks!

ducks
08-10-2010, 05:16 PM
the hybrid highlander new is 8 thousand more then gas

that is alot of gas before you break even
if you do not drive much I would not record kori the hybrids

ploto
08-10-2010, 06:02 PM
I'm hardset on fitting up to 4 babies in car seats and 2 adults, plus have a little cargo room.

Told you that you are Angelina!

Kori Ellis
08-10-2010, 08:03 PM
Told you that you are Angelina!

:lol We only have three right now, but four is the max we want. We are adopting a 9 month old, 1 year old and 2 year old. The two older ones have been with us since late March and the youngest since late May.

4>0rings
08-10-2010, 10:02 PM
Look, if you respect yourself or your husband you won't go minivan.... just no. Although that girl on TV with the toyota minvan commercials is smoking hot. The Buick looks awesome while holding your precious cargo though along with the GM/Ford options.

Whatever the decision, congrats on the adoptions. I'am sure you had to go through so much red tape and jump through hoops. :tu

jcrod
08-10-2010, 11:22 PM
:lol We only have three right now, but four is the max we want. We are adopting a 9 month old, 1 year old and 2 year old. The two older ones have been with us since late March and the youngest since late May.

Wow, that is alot at one time, especially the ages. Congrats, I would really give a test drive with the car seats in tow. If you will be having three at one time they take a lot of room and would be sure you would be comfortable.

Look, if you respect yourself or your husband you won't go minivan.... just no. Although that girl on TV with the toyota minvan commercials is smoking hot. The Buick looks awesome while holding your precious cargo though along with the GM/Ford options.

Whatever the decision, congrats on the adoptions. I'am sure you had to go through so much red tape and jump through hoops. :tu

:rolleyes sure, why? because you're too manly for one. For the price and convienence you can't beat it. i have a truck, but the minivan works for so many reasons.

John Terry
08-11-2010, 07:52 PM

http://mit.zenfs.com/5/2010/08/rsz_1ap100809017997.jpg