PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Hawking's Warning: Abandon Earth—Or Face Extinction

phyzik
08-09-2010, 02:00 PM
http://bigthink.com/ideas/21570

Let's face it: The planet is heating up, Earth's population is expanding at an exponential rate, and the the natural resources vital to our survival are running out faster than we can replace them with sustainable alternatives. Even if the human race manages not to push itself to the brink of nuclear extinction, it is still a foregone conclusion that our aging sun will expand and swallow the Earth in roughly 7.6 billion years.

So, according to famed theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking, it's time to free ourselves from Mother Earth. "I believe that the long-term future of the human race must be in space," Hawking tells Big Think. "It will be difficult enough to avoid disaster on planet Earth in the next hundred years, let alone the next thousand, or million. The human race shouldn't have all its eggs in one basket, or on one planet. Let's hope we can avoid dropping the basket until we have spread the load."

Hawking says he is an optimist, but his outlook for the future of man's existence is fairly bleak. In the recent past, humankind's survival has been nothing short of "a question of touch and go" he says, citing the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1963 as just one example of how man has narrowly escaped extinction. According to the Federation of American Scientists there are still about 22,600 stockpiled nuclear weapons scattered around the planet, 7,770 of which are still operational. In light of the inability of nuclear states to commit to a global nuclear non-proliferation treaty, the threat of a nuclear holocaust has not subsided.

In fact, "the frequency of such occasions is likely to increase in the future," says Hawking, "We shall need great care and judgment to negotiate them all successfully."

Even if humans manage to avoid a nuclear stand-off over the next thousand years, our fate on this planet is still pretty much certain. University of Sussex astrophysicist Dr. Robert Smith says eventually the aging Sun will accelerate global warming to a point where all of Earth's water will simply evaporate.

"Life on Earth will have disappeared long before 7.6 billion years," says Smith, "Scientists have shown that the Sun's slow expansion will cause the temperature at the surface of the Earth to rise. Oceans will evaporate, and the atmosphere will become laden with water vapor, which (like carbon dioxide) is a very effective greenhouse gas. Eventually, the oceans will boil dry and the water vapor will escape into space. In a billion years from now the Earth will be a very hot, dry and uninhabitable ball."

Finally, between the next thousand years or so that Hawking says it will take man to make the planet uninhabitable and the billion years it will take for the sun to turn our planet into an arid wasteland, there is always the chance that a nearby supernova, an asteroid, or a quick and painless black hole could do us in.

Takeaway

One way or another, the life on Earth will likely become uninhabitable for mankind in the future. We need to start seriously thinking about how we will free ourselves from the constraints of this dying planet.

Why We Should Reject This Idea

Despite what Hawking describes as humankind's "selfish and aggressive instinct," there may be some biological impediments to finding another planet to inhabit.

"The nearest star [to Earth] is Proxima Centauri which is 4.2 light years away," says University of Michigan astrophysicist Katherine Freese, "That means that, if you were traveling at the speed of light the whole time, it would take 4.2 years to get there."

Unfortunately, at the moment we can only travel at about ten thousandth of light speed, which means if man were to use chemical fuel rockets similar to the those used during the Apollo mission to the moon, the journey would take about 50,000 years. Without the use of a science-fiction-like warp drive or cryogenic freezing technology, no human would live long enough to survive the journey. In addition, "the radiation you would encounter alone would kill you, even if you could get a rocket to go anywhere near that fast," says Freese.

On the upside, if man ever develops the technology to travel at the speed of light while remaining shielded from cosmic radiation, he could effectively travel into the future. "A five year trip at light speed could push an astronaut forward by 1000 earth years," says Freese, "If he wanted to see if any humans were still around by then."

2pac > Kobe
08-09-2010, 02:11 PM
fuck

z0sa
08-09-2010, 02:14 PM
Hawking's right. Ill hopefully be abandoning the planet in 50-60 years, max.

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-09-2010, 02:18 PM
Nice try, Decepticon. I'm staying put.

Vagina
08-09-2010, 02:18 PM
Hawking's right. Ill hopefully be abandoning the planet in 50-60 years, max.

I'll be all used and dried up way before then.

bigzak25
08-09-2010, 04:53 PM
We must have world peace before we can develop the technology needed using nuclear energy to build a space craft to take us to Earth II.

It's all based in Star Trek roots...in Roddenbery's Utopia where Mankind has reached an age of enlightenment and fighting amongst ourselves is a thing of the past.

Unfortunately, the only way to get to that point is for the world as we know it to end.

And that's where Revelation comes in, but I digress.

bus driver
08-09-2010, 05:00 PM
http://bigthink.com/ideas/21570

Let's face it: The planet is heating up, Earth's population is expanding at an exponential rate, and the the natural resources vital to our survival are running out faster than we can replace them with sustainable alternatives. Even if the human race manages not to push itself to the brink of nuclear extinction, it is still a foregone conclusion that our aging sun will expand and swallow the Earth in roughly 7.6 billion years.

well if we cant replace them fast enough, than what the hell is going to space going to do?

we still need oxygen, water and food.

i am just glad am alive now and not 7 billion years from now :wakeup

CubanSucks
08-09-2010, 05:10 PM
Earth II is gonna be so much more badass than OG Earth :smokin

HeadBanger
08-09-2010, 05:22 PM
"It's better to burn out than to fade away,"

DarkReign
08-09-2010, 05:35 PM
"It's better to burn out than to fade away,"

-bOKsOveYD0

DarrinS
08-09-2010, 05:37 PM
Color me not scared.

Same warnings were being issued in the early 1970's. Only differece was that in the 1970's, they all thought we were heading into the next Ice Age.

Oh well. So much for concensus science.

I also like Hawking warning us about trying to contact extra terrestrials because they might be dangerous. I think he had just watched a shitty M. Night Shyamalan film when he issued that warning.

bigzak25
08-09-2010, 07:23 PM
It's like this...any ETs that might exist that already know about us have to be peaceful beings or are simply not allowed to interact with us by whomever is in power.

Otherwise, they would have destroyed us and taken over a long long time ago.

So then you might also have other ETs that don't know about us yet.

Hawking is right, it is wise not to reach out to strangers when you have no idea what their intentions would be...especially technologically advanced strangers.

The only way to reach the heights of technology are through pure good intentions or through pure evil ones.

So lets get our stuff together here on this planet before we dust off the welcome matt.

Stringer_Bell
08-09-2010, 07:26 PM
If Steven Hawking is so fucking smart, then why hasn't he left the planet yet?

Yea, that's what I thought.

JoeChalupa
08-09-2010, 07:35 PM
I've left the planet on a few occasions back in the day when I broke through to the other side. Best trips I've ever had.

Nathan Explosion
08-09-2010, 07:44 PM
Earth II is gonna be so much more badass than OG Earth :smokin

Bullshit. Everyone knows that the original is always the best. The sequel always sucks, except Terminator 2.

bigzak25
08-09-2010, 07:47 PM
Superman 2...Lethal Weapon 2...Alien 2...

but I get your point!

DoubtingThomas
08-09-2010, 07:52 PM
Bullshit. Everyone knows that the original is always the best. The sequel always sucks, except Terminator 2.

Since God will be directing the sequel I doubt it will suck.

Nathan Explosion
08-09-2010, 08:02 PM
Superman 2...Lethal Weapon 2...Alien 2...

but I get your point!

Aliens was NOT better than Alien. You could have gone with Rocky as being a good sequel but the original won an Academy Award. But come on, T2 had a shape shifting Terminator. How cool was that? And a rocking soundtrack. GNR rocked it.

As for god making the sequel, it would have been MADE. You see, the planet would have to have been made for us to live on. So how do we know it's really a sequel.

What if it's like Avatar? Or better yet, what if it's like Titan AE? God wouldn't have had anything to do with that. God that movie had potential and sucked a big, fat one.

Johnny RIngo
08-09-2010, 08:16 PM

Godfather 2
Empire Strikes Back
Wrath of Kahn
Dark Knight
Dawn of the Dead('78)
Evil Dead 2
Mad Max 2 - The Road Warrior

phyzik
08-09-2010, 08:18 PM
Aliens was NOT better than Alien. You could have gone with Rocky as being a good sequel but the original won an Academy Award. But come on, T2 had a shape shifting Terminator. How cool was that? And a rocking soundtrack. GNR rocked it.

As for god making the sequel, it would have been MADE. You see, the planet would have to have been made for us to live on. So how do we know it's really a sequel.

What if it's like Avatar? Or better yet, what if it's like Titan AE? God wouldn't have had anything to do with that. God that movie had potential and sucked a big, fat one.

Titan AE could have been better, I agree..... But I liked it none the less.

Nathan Explosion
08-09-2010, 08:31 PM
It was like Starship Troopers. There was tons of material to work with, and it seemed like they just took a short cut. Could have been way better.

And it didn't help that Titan AE had a Creed song as the main song in all the advertisements.

CubanSucks
08-09-2010, 08:58 PM
Earth II will be the only sequel better than the original. I don't wanna hear about Aliens, T2, Empire Strikes Back, and ESPECIALLY The Godfather part 2. The originals were all better than those. But Earth II will be far more awesomer cause it will be just for healthy living while we use this Earth for partying. It'll be an awesome system we'll have going. :toast

Johnny RIngo
08-09-2010, 09:00 PM
It was like Starship Troopers. There was tons of material to work with, and it seemed like they just took a short cut. Could have been way better.

Well, the director(Paul Verhoeven) admits to never finishing the novel, claiming he read through the first few chapters and became both bored and depressed. Might be why the movie was radically different than the book. I like the film the way it is though. Probably should have just given it a different title, as I consider them separate works.

MiamiHeat
08-09-2010, 09:07 PM
so this is basically

"The Sun will burn out one day, or we are going to kill ourselves and use up all resources. Man's future is in space"

ugh...? what the fuck? this passes for news now? who the hell doesnt know this already

Johnny RIngo
08-09-2010, 09:08 PM
Earth II will be the only sequel better than the original. I don't wanna hear about Aliens, T2, Empire Strikes Back, and ESPECIALLY The Godfather part 2. The originals were all better than those.

True, most of those are arguable but I can't imagine anybody preferring Mad Max over The Road Warrior or Star Trek: The Motion Picture over Wrath of Kahn.

TDMVPDPOY
08-09-2010, 09:21 PM
lol time travel i dont believe in that shit

the only bs we will use up is energy resources, but we can always live off the sun to run our solar power panels

dont overfish the ocean and we can sustain life....

Nathan Explosion
08-09-2010, 09:30 PM
Earth II will be the only sequel better than the original. I don't wanna hear about Aliens, T2, Empire Strikes Back, and ESPECIALLY The Godfather part 2. The originals were all better than those. But Earth II will be far more awesomer cause it will be just for healthy living while we use this Earth for partying. It'll be an awesome system we'll have going. :toast

T2 was better than the original. Hello, liquid metal form changing Terminator? Check. Rocking GNR song? Check. Arnold at his ass kicking best? Check.

Considering how rapidly technology changes, the special effects have held up surprisingly well.

4>0rings
08-09-2010, 09:58 PM
Aliens and T2 were most defintley better than their firsts.

Nathan Explosion
08-09-2010, 10:02 PM

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/T2JDHandheldMinigun-9.jpg

This.

CubanSucks
08-09-2010, 10:15 PM
I think of it this way; The Terminator is to T2 like Reservoir Dogs is to Pulp Fiction (for the argument i'm making they're practically sequels). The second one may be better, but the first is more raw, darker, and less glamorized and main stream. Ahnold as the bad guy was just too cool for me

2pac > Kobe
08-09-2010, 10:16 PM
toy story 2

CubanSucks
08-09-2010, 10:20 PM
True, most of those are arguable but I can't imagine anybody preferring Mad Max over The Road Warrior

Forgot about that one. Mad Max is slow as fuck, but The Road Warrior was raw

w14IQB8yNNw

Nathan Explosion
08-09-2010, 11:35 PM
I think of it this way; The Terminator is to T2 like Reservoir Dogs is to Pulp Fiction (for the argument i'm making they're practically sequels). The second one may be better, but the first is more raw, darker, and less glamorized and main stream. Ahnold as the bad guy was just too cool for me

Yeah, but it was so full of holes that it fucked everything up.

I get what you're saying though. As a Nirvana fan, Nevermind is my favorite album even though In Utero is superior in every way. Nevermind was less polished and angrier.

Still, T2 was still better. Better storyline. Better special effects. Just plain better.

On a lesser note, 28 Weeks Later was better than the original as well.

Boris
08-10-2010, 09:05 AM
This has turned into a movie thread? :lol

Creepn
08-10-2010, 10:11 AM
We must have world peace before we can develop the technology needed using nuclear energy to build a space craft to take us to Earth II.

It's all based in Star Trek roots...in Roddenbery's Utopia where Mankind has reached an age of enlightenment and fighting amongst ourselves is a thing of the past.

Unfortunately, the only way to get to that point is for the world as we know it to end.

And that's where Revelation comes in, but I digress.

The bible says when things are all said and done, there will be heaven on earth for all eternity. How is that possible if the planet is destined to be inhabitable?

CavsSuperFan
08-10-2010, 11:05 AM
I really feel that Earth would be a better place if the Bush haters who post in the political forum were to take the trip…

Johnny RIngo
08-10-2010, 11:55 AM
On a lesser note, 28 Weeks Later was better than the original as well.

You serious? The two kids were annoying as fuck. Almost as bad as the kids in REC 2.

balli
08-10-2010, 11:56 AM
I really feel that Earth would be a better place if the Bush haters who post in the political forum were to take the trip…

Dude. Fuck off. If you wanna talk politics, go in the fucking political forum to do it. We don't don't need your jackass randomly interjecting dumbass political opinions into threads about golf and Steven Hawking. And have a shitty day asshole.

bigzak25
08-10-2010, 12:30 PM
The bible says when things are all said and done, there will be heaven on earth for all eternity. How is that possible if the planet is destined to be inhabitable?

Well, I'm sure it's just one of the many many things that God knows and we don't.

Bender
08-10-2010, 12:31 PM
...our aging sun will expand and swallow the Earth in roughly 7.6 billion years.
I better hurry up with my bucket list

Creepn
08-10-2010, 01:44 PM
Well, I'm sure it's just one of the many many things that God knows and we don't.

But don't you think that believing that we will have to fly into space in search of another earth is going against your teachings? Possibly blashphemy? There's nothing in the bible that says anything about searching for a new earth like the Israelites searching for new land. This same earth gets destroyed and is re-inhabited. No mention of an Earth II.

You waiting for the mothership?

DarkReign
08-10-2010, 06:07 PM
I think with the bank bailouts and scientific predictions recently, the only casualty has been the gravity previously attached to the word "billion".

Thats nine zero's, son!

http://www.filmdope.com/Gallery/ActorsW/18480-9011.gif

Nathan Explosion
08-10-2010, 07:07 PM
You serious? The two kids were annoying as fuck. Almost as bad as the kids in REC 2.

Come on, the part when the soldiers get ordered to kill anything that moved was totally fucked up. And of course, the beginning was as fucked as it can get. I liked 28 Days Later a lot but it never had scenes as intense and fucked as those two scenes I mentioned.

Plus, the original turned into a love story in the end.

leemajors
08-10-2010, 07:51 PM

Alien is a much better movie than Aliens. Aliens is just an action movie.

TDMVPDPOY
08-10-2010, 07:56 PM
even if we can travel speed of light, do you guys see urself sittin a room with hawking for 4yrs?