PDA

View Full Version : Toros to play in Cedar Park this season

CubanMustGo
08-09-2010, 04:31 PM
Just got the following text:

Historic Breaking News for your Austin Toros! Toros to play full season at Cedar Park Center! Call 512-236-8333 for ticket information.

Nothing on the web site yet, it'll come soon. The Cedar Park center is a very nice place, built last year, seats 5-6K, and is also home to the AHL affiliate of the Dallas Stars.

Dex
08-09-2010, 04:34 PM
Nice! This is near me and right by my parents. Will make checking out the Toros much easier this season.

CubanMustGo
08-09-2010, 04:41 PM
Not the greatest map, but

http://cedarparkcenter.com.ismmedia.com/ISM3/std-content/repos/Top/Basketball.gif

The Center's web site (http://www.cedarparkcenter.com/) says "Austin Toros" and has a release (http://www.cedarparkcenter.com/news/index.html?article_id=64):

AUSTIN, TX August 9, 2010 – The Austin Toros and Cedar Park Center today announced the NBA D-League team will bring professional basketball to the state-of-the-art arena for the 2010-11 season. The Toros, the San Antonio Spurs NBA Development League affiliate, will tip-off its 24-game home schedule at the Cedar Park Center in November.

“We are really looking forward to continuing to present NBA caliber competition to Austin Toros fans at the new Cedar Park Center,” said Rick Pych Spurs Sports and Entertainment President of Business Operations. “The move will allow us to improve the fan experience beyond what we have been able to offer in past years. We are excited about the future, but also grateful to the City of Austin and staff at the Austin Convention Center for the great partnership over the last five years that allowed us to bring the NBA Development League to the greater Austin community.”

Cedar Park Center is located at the intersection of New Hope Drive and Toll Road 183A. The multiuse facility has a capacity of 4,672 seats for basketball with ample parking adjacent to the arena, and is also home to the American Hockey League’s (AHL) Texas Stars. The Toros played the arena’s first professional basketball games there last February during the 2009-10 season.

“Cedar Park Center is delighted to welcome the Austin Toros to this region’s premier sports and entertainment venue,” said Rick McLaughlin, General Manager of Cedar Park Center. “We enjoyed working with the Austin Toros’ organization last season when we hosted their two “Showdown at Cedar Park” games against the Reno Bighorns and are extremely pleased that they have chosen Cedar Park Center to be their new home.”

Cedar Park Mayor Bob Lemon added, “Since the Texas Stars started playing in Cedar Park I have renewed my love of ice hockey and became a loyal fan, but basketball has always been my favorite sport. We look forward to being season tickets holders this coming year at Cedar Park Center. Please join us in welcoming the Toros to the great city of Cedar Park.”

Ticket prices at Cedar Park Center will be comparable to those at the Austin Convention Center, starting at just $5. Fans should visit austintoros.com to take advantage of special discount offers packaged into the “Twelve Weeks of Toros”. Each of the twelve weeks will include a unique and different ticket offer for fans to choose from.

“Starting this November with the 2010-11 season, the Toros will showcase NBA stars of the future in a state-of-the-art arena,” said Peter Lubell Toros Chief Operating Officer. “The opportunity to offer our fans a more balanced schedule that includes more weekend games coupled with the convenience and amenities of Cedar Park Center make this a win for everyone.”

Call the Toros office today at (512) 236-8333 for more information.
I live in unincorporated Williamson County between RR, Austin, and CP - this is gonna be a whole lot closer than downtown.

The only problem with the CP Center is the parking - it's the pits.

CubanMustGo
08-09-2010, 05:12 PM
Facebook post:Get in on the action with "The 12 Weeks of Toros". Every Monday for the next 12 weeks we'll unveil an exclusive ticket offer to see your Toros at the Cedar Park Center. This week's offer: PICK YOUR PRICE....the first 100 people to CALL IN at 512-236-8333 can pick their season ticket price in the family section. A portion of the proceeds will benefit the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Central & South Texas.

Ryvin1
08-09-2010, 05:19 PM
The facilities are so much better at the Cedar park center then downtown I think this a HUGE improvement if the location isn't issue for you.

BruceBowenFan
08-09-2010, 07:24 PM
i was there last year when the stars played the rampage nice little facility cant complain about it.l

SomeCallMeTim
08-09-2010, 07:25 PM
What's the downtown arena? Can't recall ever seeing that when I've been through Austin.

Dex
08-09-2010, 07:29 PM
What's the downtown arena? Can't recall ever seeing that when I've been through Austin.

They used the Austin Convention Center before. It felt like you were going to a conference until you were actually sitting courtside, at which point it wasn't so bad. But an actual athletic facility will be a nice step up.

SomeCallMeTim
08-09-2010, 07:36 PM
They used the Austin Convention Center before. It felt like you were going to a conference until you were actually sitting courtside, at which point it wasn't so bad. But an actual athletic facility will be a nice step up.

:lol Yeah, I'd say so.

Any idea what the "Kid Zone" is? Guessing it is an area with games/playland for little ones? They have one at the local minor league ballpark here and my daughter loves to go there because of it. Pretty smart if you're marketing a minor league team.

PGDynasty24
08-09-2010, 07:36 PM
The Toros? Fuck me,haven't been this excited since Justin Bieber came here to LA to play a free concert sponsored by Radio Disney

Dex
08-09-2010, 07:46 PM
:lol Yeah, I'd say so.

Any idea what the "Kid Zone" is? Guessing it is an area with games/playland for little ones? They have one at the local minor league ballpark here and my daughter loves to go there because of it. Pretty smart if you're marketing a minor league team.

Yeah, they do it at Spurs games too and it seems to be good entertainment for the little ones. Just a few baskets and other basketball related activities to keep them occupied. Good to give parents an option since most kids cant sit straight for 3 hours.

Mark in Austin
08-09-2010, 10:47 PM
Better venue - and I'm sure the players will appreciate a proper locker room. But I'd rather go to downtown Austin than Cedar Park.

Maybe they should change the name from the Austin Toros to the Cedar Park Sprawl...

leemajors
08-09-2010, 11:23 PM
That's a long drive, even from mopac and burnet.

CubanMustGo
08-10-2010, 08:40 AM
That's a long drive, even from mopac and burnet.

Maybe CapFailtro will crank up their $200M toy train to take people out there. :lol

SeaToby
11-01-2010, 06:57 AM
The drive isn't much different than Arlington is to Dallas or Fort Worth. The Cowboys and Rangers fans find a way to get there. While I will agree its not the most central location in the Austin area, its not that far either. I thank the Cedar Park taxpayers who have blessed us with a state of the art minor league facility suitable for hockey and basketball...

Mark in Austin
11-01-2010, 11:54 AM
I still say they should be renamed the Cedar Park Sprawl. :lol

But I'll probably go to a game early in the season - still haven't been to the venue so it will be cool to check it out.

Mark in Austin
11-01-2010, 12:24 PM
Maybe CapFailtro will crank up their $200M toy train to take people out there. :lol

No chance - since Cedar Park opted out of CapMetro's taxing district, the Commuter Rail line doesn't stop in Cedar Park - it's closest stops are in the Lakeline area to the south and in Leander to the north (Leander is closest - only 3.75 miles away!)

But it's just as well, since Cedar Park isn't serviced by CapMetro, there was no coordination on locating the arena close to the line - it's about 1 mile away.

No worries though. There's a nice shiny new toll road right out in front of the center for all your commuting needs.

ohmwrecker
11-01-2010, 12:32 PM
I saw Wilco there last year and it's not a good music venue, but I'm sure for sports, it's just fine. It is a long drive though. I don't think Cedar Park should technically be considered to be "in" Austin. Cops up there suck too. Don't speed.

DMX7
11-01-2010, 12:33 PM
It looks pretty nice.

ChumpDumper
11-01-2010, 01:46 PM
It is a nice venue. Went ahead and got season tickets again. The bottom line was the northwest was were most of the fans were coming from anyway, and the two weeknight games played in Cedar Park last season drew crowds that were pretty much weekend sellout level for downtown. Weeknight crowds at the Convention Center were downright abysmal.

ChumpDumper
11-01-2010, 02:20 PM
Here's a more detailed seating/price chart.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/austin/media/2010-11_Toros_Seating_Map.pdf

Single game tickets went on sale today.