PDA

View Full Version : AF Users warned against downloading info from Wikileaks

LnGrrrR
08-09-2010, 04:46 PM
So, we received a message today stating that some of the Wikileaks information is still considered "classified" and hasn't been declassed. Therefore, if an AF person downloads/views the compromised documents, it will be considered a CMI (a security incident) and said person will receive punishment, because they are helping view/pass on classified information.

Just some interesting news I thought I'd share with you guys.

Stringer_Bell
08-09-2010, 04:50 PM
That has a bit of logic to it, I'll be sure to not pass along any pdf files your way. *COUGH* Gotta wonder how they are going to move against any American citizens that helped put them online or draw attention to the papers.

CosmicCowboy
08-09-2010, 04:53 PM
That seems really dumb.

CosmicCowboy
08-09-2010, 04:55 PM
That horse thats running around with "classified" branded on its's ass is clearly already out of the barn. Stupid pronouncements like that from the higher up brass HAVE to make the rank and file wonder what kind of idiots are leading them.

Stringer_Bell
08-09-2010, 04:56 PM
That seems really dumb.

He's a government employee with a set security clearance, if they tell him not to look at shit...why would he look at shit?

I mean, we (civilians) can, but still!

CosmicCowboy
08-09-2010, 04:58 PM
He's a government employee with a set security clearance, if they tell him not to look at shit...why would he look at shit?

I mean, we (civilians) can, but still!

Why would you even want to argue this point? You think it makes sense?

Stringer_Bell
08-09-2010, 05:03 PM
Why would you even want to argue this point? You think it makes sense?

ermmm :(

RACIST!!!!!!!!! :nope

LnGrrrR
08-09-2010, 05:05 PM
That horse thats running around with "classified" branded on its's ass is clearly already out of the barn. Stupid pronouncements like that from the higher up brass HAVE to make the rank and file wonder what kind of idiots are leading them.

They address that in the notice:

"Air Force personnel should not access the WikiLeaks website to view or download the publicized classified information. Doing so would introduce potentially classified information on unclassified network. There has been rumor that the information is no longer classified since it resides in the public domain. This is NOT true. Executive Order 13526, Section 1.1(4)(c) states "Classified information shall not be declassified automatically as a result of any unauthorized disclosure of identical or similar information."

The ending paragraph has some interesting words too:

"Please remember, Government information technology capabilities should be used to enable our war fighters, promote information sharing in defense of our homeland, and to maximize efficiencies in operations. It should not be used as a means to harm national security through unauthorized disclosure of our information on publicly accessible websites or chat rooms."

z0sa
08-09-2010, 05:06 PM

It sounds to me more of an argument of principle. A huge part of keeping the military ordered is demanding and expecting unreasonable action, or in this case, inaction. Now give me 30!

CosmicCowboy
08-09-2010, 05:08 PM
ermmm :(

RACIST!!!!!!!!! :nope

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

spursncowboys
08-09-2010, 05:23 PM
firefox phzilla

ElNono
08-09-2010, 07:32 PM
So, we received a message today stating that some of the Wikileaks information is still considered "classified" and hasn't been declassed. Therefore, if an AF person downloads/views the compromised documents, it will be considered a CMI (a security incident) and said person will receive punishment, because they are helping view/pass on classified information.

Just some interesting news I thought I'd share with you guys.

Isn't it kinda late for damage control?

Wild Cobra
08-09-2010, 09:10 PM
That seems really dumb.
The larger the organization, the stupider the rules get by the top's micromanagement.

Ever work for a Fortune 500 company.... Things get reals stupid, as they do in the military.

LnGrrrR
08-09-2010, 09:14 PM
Isn't it kinda late for damage control?

One would think... *shrug* I don't make the rules, I just follow them... :lol

ElNono
08-09-2010, 11:04 PM
One would think... *shrug* I don't make the rules, I just follow them... :lol

Roger that. I fully expect increased standards for personal security checks around terminals with sensitive material. It's become increasingly more complicated with the diversity of portable electronics nowadays, especially in battleground locations. I'll put my money this was an inside job. The human link is increasingly the weakest link in IT security nowadays.

At least until somebody figures out a way around what Shamir and co invented... :lol

LnGrrrR
08-10-2010, 12:53 AM
Roger that. I fully expect increased standards for personal security checks around terminals with sensitive material. It's become increasingly more complicated with the diversity of portable electronics nowadays, especially in battleground locations. I'll put my money this was an inside job. The human link is increasingly the weakest link in IT security nowadays.

Fully agree on the "human" link... of course, usually it comes in the way of dumb users putting passwords under their keyboard or being socially engineered, not whistleblowers.

And as is, you're not supposed to have personal electronics or thumb drives in any secure area. I'm guessing it was someone who worked in these facilities regularly, as security tends to loosen up over time with regular coworkers.

MannyIsGod
08-10-2010, 01:01 AM
I thought they knew exactly who had released the documents already?

LnGrrrR
08-10-2010, 02:38 AM
I thought they knew exactly who had released the documents already?

Maybe, I haven't been keeping up with all of it.

Winehole23
08-10-2010, 02:46 AM
At first the story seemed to be that Bradley Manning hacked into State Department files, but that doesn't make it impossible he had sources inside of State or elsewhere.