PDA

View Full Version : HEB school of retail management

gospursgojas
08-09-2010, 09:04 PM
http://www.heb.com/aboutHEB/careers-schoolRetailMgmt.jsp

Anyone got any insight on this program or have actually applied or gone through it???

I need a work industry change.

DMX7
08-09-2010, 09:08 PM
huh? Do you work for HEB or something?

Kori Ellis
08-09-2010, 09:08 PM
TheTruth (Matthew) is in management at H-E-B, I believe. You could private message him.

gospursgojas
08-09-2010, 09:11 PM
huh? Do you work for HEB or something?

nah just thinking about applying for something different than what Ive been doing for 7 years

TheTruth (Matthew) is in management at H-E-B, I believe. You could private message him.

Thanks Kori

fraga
08-09-2010, 09:35 PM
I believe you need to actually "work"...for H-E-B first...and than you can apply to be in the program...

Nathan Explosion
08-09-2010, 09:36 PM
You have to be an employee in a department to go to SORM. Usually a lead applies. S/he needs the recommendation of the Unit Director (head guy in a store) as well as pass an interview process. I think it's 2 interviews before you get in the program.

Then you go to training in classes, followed by training at a different store in your selected department. Then, with the blessing of your training manager, you're ready to become an Assistant Department Manager where you train some more. Usually in a bigger store.

When you're finally ready for your own store, you move to the bottom and get a small store with the intent of impressing your corporate boss enough to move you into a bigger, better store.

There's some work behind it.

Of course, if you have a degree and/or extensive management experience in a different company but with the same type of department, you can bypass that whole process and become a manager right away.

It has its perks. You get a partner share (percentage of the gross of your department for the 4 week period) and you get to make your own schedule. However, it can be a pain in the ass when corporate comes around and changes everything in the store, only to have the UD go and change everything back a month later.

And don't even get me started on how much of a pain it is when a new store leader comes in and tries to establish that s/he's the boss and everything will be changed to accommodate them.

Yeah, I'm an HEB employee btw.

fraga
08-09-2010, 10:01 PM
Yeah...I've always thought SORM was like the long way of working your way up through the ranks...

Nathan Explosion
08-09-2010, 10:05 PM
Yeah, I applied once but my UD said I wasn't ready. Part of the problem was he didn't like the way I looked. Part was he didn't like me. Part of the problem was I wasn't an ass kisser. But I also think part of the problem was I wasn't cute like the girl I helped train.

Somehow she made it and I didn't even though I had a huge part in teaching her everything she knew.

fraga
08-09-2010, 10:13 PM
You need to put out more...

Trainwreck2100
08-09-2010, 10:19 PM

I thought he worked their corporate side

fraga
08-09-2010, 10:23 PM
Same crap...

Nathan Explosion
08-09-2010, 11:32 PM
You need to put out more...

I try but all the women think I'm still married and I'm too much into the friends zone because I was married when I got to know them.

I should transfer and then start it off on the right foot.

fraga
08-10-2010, 09:15 AM
Do you work at a Store or at the Arsenal...

Blake
08-10-2010, 05:49 PM
To me, it's much too difficult to move up the corporate ladder through the same company, if you are starting in a low position.

The best way to move up is to move on, imo.

Blake
08-10-2010, 05:51 PM
I try but all the women think I'm still married and I'm too much into the friends zone because I was married when I got to know them.

I should transfer and then start it off on the right foot.

You should apply at Whole Foods if you have as much experience as you are implying, imo.

Nathan Explosion
08-10-2010, 07:01 PM
I work in Receiving now unloading trucks. Thing about HEB is that they guarantee at least 36 hours a week to full timers (for comparison Walmart only guarantees 24) and they pay you just enough to keep you there knowing that to go to a new job with the schedule flexibility like HEB would mean about a $4 an hour pay cut.

I don't think Whole Foods has a position that would take advantage of my experience, namely photo labs, business center and receiving trucks. I do have experience working grocery and drugstore/gm experience as well

fraga
08-10-2010, 07:09 PM
Walmart is the devil... :D

Nathan Explosion
08-10-2010, 07:16 PM
Before I got my job at HEB I was hired at Walmart. Problem was, they forgot to tell me.

Slydragon
08-10-2010, 10:35 PM
Yeah, I applied once but my UD said I wasn't ready. Part of the problem was he didn't like the way I looked. Part was he didn't like me. Part of the problem was I wasn't an ass kisser. But I also think part of the problem was I wasn't cute like the girl I helped train.

Somehow she made it and I didn't even though I had a huge part in teaching her everything she knew.

She was hot :tu

Frenzy
08-10-2010, 11:14 PM
However, it can be a pain in the ass when corporate comes around and changes everything in the store, only to have the UD go and change everything back a month later..

It amazes me how ignorant big wigs are...or at least appear to be. When a visit comes around the store will waste hundreds of hours just to make an impression. Well that's the way it worked when I use to work in other stores. Surprised visits are the way to go to get a real feel of the way things are. But when a big boss announces his visit and the mgrs and district mgrs put in extra hours to make the place look like a well oiled machine when it really isn't is just plain stupid.

Surely the big bosses know all your locations aren't perfect right?