PDA

View Full Version : Spurs vs Lakers - Game 6 - 2003

ElNono
08-09-2010, 11:27 PM
While I was browsing for Spurs stuff on youtube I came across this gem. It's the entire game, and it was really fun to watch it again.

1/12
56LEKHsXS88

2/12
zffp-vt86NU

3/12
YtauDQ4-mCY

4/12
QDkOei5HWnQ

5/12
jbsznAr8pfU

6/12
p6PhJZdpU74

7/12
f1yVPIh32js

8/12
eVUGOb820wk

9/12
qTxYnAkP6U8

10/12
Yw5QxYHxHdk

11/12
NHjY4KAYnxQ

12/12
o3LuUT6Vjno

Enjoy!

jaffies
08-09-2010, 11:56 PM
Thank you, El Nono.

Along with many of you fine folks in here, I've been a Spurs fan ever since I can remember. And in all the greatest moments in Spurs history (MDM, Timmy for 3, '99 finals game 5, Horry game 5 in '05, etc.) THIS GAME is the happiest I've ever been as a Spurs fan! When Willis inexplicably soared for that put-back jam, I was fucking hysterical.

SouthTexasRancher
08-09-2010, 11:58 PM
Thanks ElNono....all great videos of that game but, the last one was the cats meow! A GREAT Spurs team for sure...:toast

Mark in Austin
08-10-2010, 12:11 AM
2003 was my favorite Spurs team. Never get tired of watching games from that year.

21_Blessings
08-10-2010, 12:14 AM
Fuck Robert Horry. The Lakers were playing 4 on 6 that series.

Venti Quattro
08-10-2010, 12:25 AM

fuck that open three pointer that he clanked in game 5

Cant_Be_Faded
08-10-2010, 12:28 AM
So Duncan did or did not smegmaface Shaq 1 on 1 during the fourth quarter?

So kobe did not expose himself as a total vagina alongside Fishfuck?

Greatest moment in NBA history right there.

dbreiden83080
08-10-2010, 12:41 AM
Awesome downloading the whole thing right now..

Dex
08-10-2010, 12:44 AM
This is among my top 3 favorite games ever. The other two being MDM and the Dagger in Detroit. The order of the three seems to change as time goes on.

Those latter two were incredible and miraculous, but this game was just downright enjoyable. Dethroning the threepeat champions and reducing them to tears, watching Robinson celebrating and Kevin Willis dunking in Shaqs face...good times. :toast

cornbread
08-10-2010, 12:55 AM
LOL, Kobe giving a whole bunch of excuses and then saying, "We're not going to make any excuses." All before the game even starts.

DJ Mbenga
08-10-2010, 01:04 AM
amazing how many bricks horry threw up and they still had a shot to win. must have been a mental thing with horry cause he was still clutch later. did he just want an extension or something?

baseline bum
08-10-2010, 01:06 AM
It's like Tim Duncan's playing around the world out there! :lol Tolbert

Mark in Austin
08-10-2010, 01:08 AM
good times. :toast

yeah - 2003 was the only year I've had season tickets. Driving down from Austin is a pain in the ass during the week. But what a great season.

5-0's final season
Duncan owning everybody - his best year
first year of the SBC Center
Manu's rookie year - flashes of brilliance
Jack "making love to pressure"
Malik's heart
Willis' elbows
Parker's teardrop

:toast

baseline bum
08-10-2010, 01:09 AM
amazing how many bricks horry threw up and they still had a shot to win. must have been a mental thing with horry cause he was still clutch later. did he just want an extension or something?

If it makes you feel any better, Rob missed the wide open three from behind the top of the key that would have buried the Lakers with a minute left in game 5 in 04. I'm glad for the non-clutch aberration of 03 and not so much for the one of 04. :lol

08-10-2010, 01:16 AM
holy shit, the announcers were so condescending towards the spurs in the first three quarters even though they were beating down the lakers.

ElNono
08-10-2010, 01:19 AM
LOL Medvedenko... Whatever happened to that guy?

HarlemHeat37
08-10-2010, 01:20 AM
LOL Medvedenko... Whatever happened to that guy?

He's now a shitty poster on the NBA side of the forum..

baseline bum
08-10-2010, 01:22 AM
yeah - 2003 was the only year I've had season tickets. Driving down from Austin is a pain in the ass during the week. But what a great season.

5-0's final season
Duncan owning everybody - his best year
first year of the SBC Center
Manu's rookie year - flashes of brilliance
Jack "making love to pressure"
Malik's heart
Willis' elbows
Parker's teardrop

If there's one season to have gone to all the games, that would have been the one!

ElNono
08-10-2010, 01:27 AM
He's now a shitty poster on the NBA side of the forum..

Touché :rollin

Man In Black
08-10-2010, 02:13 AM
Ahh Yes...15-1 for the Spurs to win that year in Vegas. That was money in the bank. This season, I'm hoping that 20-1 pays for our Spurs, out to the tune of no 3-peat for you Bean & PJaxs.

PGDynasty24
08-10-2010, 02:58 AM
Oh how I remember that series. Horry was effing crap. Tony Parker was going apeshit on our asses and just penetrating like it was brokeback mountain. And Fish and Bean crying @ end because their 3 year run of title's was over. You guys got your revenge for LakeShow sweeping your asses in '01 and taking you out in 5 games in '02.

m33p0
08-10-2010, 03:19 AM
shit! you just made me watch it again!

Juanobili
08-10-2010, 03:23 AM
Danny Ferry had a weird shot lol

and dayum Tim... 37 and 16

fantasyfootball
08-10-2010, 03:43 AM
LOL, Kobe giving a whole bunch of excuses and then saying, "We're not going to make any excuses." All before the game even starts.

You beat me to it.

Kobe did it before and after the game. Magic did it during the game. Lakers did a good job of making excuses and then saying they wouldn't make any.

10/12 4:45

Magic Johnson makes excuse and says no excuses

12/12 @ 5:53

Kobe: we have a million and 1 excuses we could go to but we're not going to make any

--------------------------

My Game Notes and Highlights (although there were too many highlights to get them all)

- David looked spry and nimble

- Tims performance even more amazing when you consider he did it against RoHo and Shaq who had a history of bottling him up, slowing him down.

- David dunk at 2:55 2/12

- ginobili pass david dunk 6:40 4/12

- Tom Tolbert calls Horry diminutive vs Duncan (probably more of an unconscious indication of how dominant Duncan was playing given that Duncan is 6'11'' and Horry is 6'9")

- bowen played great defense on kobe

- kobe always annoyed me because he yelled out to get fouls

- Spurs had more cutting in their plays

- David made me nervous with the ball on the perimeter. Always on the verge (verge) of traveling or throwing the ball away.

- A little NBA superstar preservation, last 60 seconds on 4/12, call on Kobe changed to Brian Shaw even though Kobe called for it and fouled David first

- 6/12 5:00 duncan leads a fast break with assist to Malik

- 8/12 3:58 shaq has Kareem/Magic vs. Celtics moment with near free throw sky hook

- 9/12 5:38 parker in phenom mode, I think this is where he goes coast to coast at the end of the third quarter

- 10/12 starting at 0:48 k-willis great defense on shaq, tony puts ice skates on generic pargo

- 10/12 3:00 famous ginobili crox over

- 10/12 6:24 great willis tip in

- 10/12 derek fisher preparing to cry

- game note: kobe blocked twice/3x by duncan during game

- 10/12 7:55 parker to ginobli

- don't remember famous Willis tip dunk time

- 12/12 4:00 derek fisher crying like a complete bitch

Thoughts:

Looking back at this team, they had it all. This was a team of greatness.

SLUP

sjax
robinson
duncan
parker
bowen

Bench

rose
manu
claxton

Serviceable Backup

willis

Scrubs

steve smith
danny ferry

Unreal collection of talent, experience, hustle, youth, and skill. They took 3x defending champions down 110-82 on their home court. That was an impressive ass kicking throughout the course of the game.

All the while, it was if the Spurs weren't supposed to win. Tolbert started figuring out the Lakers might not win when they were down 22 with 4 minutes left. Then, when the inevitable happened, Rick Fox suddenly became a difference maker and Shaq's knee problems mushroomed.

Shaq had knee problems because he was about 360 lbs. If his problems were that serious, then the Lakers probably wouldn't have been isolating him on the block. Rick Fox wasn't going to make up those 29 points, nor determine the series.

In the end it came down to the Lakers coming up with the excuses and the Spurs going out and executing perfectly.

210Max
08-10-2010, 07:39 AM
I was like 9 at the time and I was excited as fuck. I was annoying everyone in the house about how much we won by. I was like damn did yall mufuckas see that shit!!!!! Nah, but I was pretty hyped up.

ambchang
08-10-2010, 09:16 AM
Great game for the Spurs, but I can't help but notice how much a Laker homer Tom Tolbert is.

Parker got hacked by 4 guys, fell down, was crushed by Shaq. Parker got up, shook it off and went for the FTs. Tolbert said Parker had to be tougher? What the hell? How? Not fall down after being hacked by somebody who outweighs you by 200 lbs? Even Walton couldn't take it.

Then at the end, he was saying, "You have to give the Spurs their credit, BUT the Lakers are missing Rick Fox, who is a veteran with championship experience ...."

I mean, what? Rick Fox? Are you kidding me?

The Lakers were outplayed by a mile in that game, Duncan was incredible, literally carrying the offense in the 3rd.

mingus
08-10-2010, 09:22 AM
we just shit all over LA in this one. Duncan took a Big Fundamental on LA in 99 and 03 and I believe he's not done shitting on them.

Chieflion
08-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Observations from watching the game.

Kobe Bryant was on another level athletically than he was a year or 2 ago. He could have taken over anytime he wanted. I swear he had plenty of opportunities to attack the rim. He didn't. Thank goodness.

Shaq was overpowering whenever he got the chance. Of course, he can't make his freebies.

Slava Mevedenko was on fire!

Prime Tim Duncan will be missed. The sequences where he and Shaq were exchanging baskets would be the one of the last times 2 prime dominating inside players played at a high level.

The game reminded me of how much I wanted to chew Tony Parker out in the 1st quarter. Fumbled the ball, blocked by Shaq, foul Fisher for a 4 point play. He was terrible. After a serving of Coach Pop, most players would have never recovered, but he did, and played a fantastic game, particularly in the 2nd quarter and 4th quarter. I miss the teardrop, bring it back next season, TP.

Bruce Bowen, we miss you. Thanks for knocking down those 3s and playing Kobe Bryant to a terrible game.

Kevin Willis. What a man. Putback dunk!

There wasn't much from Stephen Jackson and Manu Ginobili that game. They showed flashes though.

I swear Robert Horry was practically playing for us then.

The Spurs won a 4th quarter against the Lakers for the first time that series, thankfully.

Phil Jackson's 25 playoff series streak will never be touched probably in the history of the NBA.

The Spurs were the first opponent to beat the Lakers in Staples Center in a playoff series, another brilliant accomplishment.

The Admiral didn't play much, which was weird, considering the importance of that playoff game. Nonetheless, Willis showed up to kick some ass.

Malik Rose did his job but was out matched by Shaq, no less.

cantthinkofanything
08-10-2010, 11:10 AM
This is among my top 3 favorite games ever. The other two being MDM and the Dagger in Detroit. The order of the three seems to change as time goes on.

Those latter two were incredible and miraculous, but this game was just downright enjoyable. Dethroning the threepeat champions and reducing them to tears, watching Robinson celebrating and Kevin Willis dunking in Shaqs face...good times. :toast

God. Imagine how Willis would dominate in today's NBA. I think he'd only be a notch down from Howard or Stodamire.

Cane
08-10-2010, 11:39 AM
we just shit all over LA in this one. Duncan took a Big Fundamental on LA in 99 and 03 and I believe he's not done shitting on them.

TheManFromAcme
08-10-2010, 11:48 AM
If for anything, it was good to see #50 get that series.
Have always loved David. :toast

galvatron3000
08-10-2010, 12:46 PM
Observations from watching the game.

Kobe Bryant was on another level athletically than he was a year or 2 ago. He could have taken over anytime he wanted. I swear he had plenty of opportunities to attack the rim. He didn't. Thank goodness.

Shaq was overpowering whenever he got the chance. Of course, he can't make his freebies.

Slava Mevedenko was on fire!

Prime Tim Duncan will be missed. The sequences where he and Shaq were exchanging baskets would be the one of the last times 2 prime dominating inside players played at a high level.

The game reminded me of how much I wanted to chew Tony Parker out in the 1st quarter. Fumbled the ball, blocked by Shaq, foul Fisher for a 4 point play. He was terrible. After a serving of Coach Pop, most players would have never recovered, but he did, and played a fantastic game, particularly in the 2nd quarter and 4th quarter. I miss the teardrop, bring it back next season, TP.

Bruce Bowen, we miss you. Thanks for knocking down those 3s and playing Kobe Bryant to a terrible game.

Kevin Willis. What a man. Putback dunk!

There wasn't much from Stephen Jackson and Manu Ginobili that game. They showed flashes though.

I swear Robert Horry was practically playing for us then.

The Spurs won a 4th quarter against the Lakers for the first time that series, thankfully.

Phil Jackson's 25 playoff series streak will never be touched probably in the history of the NBA.

The Spurs were the first opponent to beat the Lakers in Staples Center in a playoff series, another brilliant accomplishment.

The Admiral didn't play much, which was weird, considering the importance of that playoff game. Nonetheless, Willis showed up to kick some ass.

Malik Rose did his job but was out matched by Shaq, no less.

Did you see the defensive rotations? They did what they were supposed to do in the team concept given the time this took place, remember no one knew how good Manu could be nor Jackson for that matter.

lefty
08-10-2010, 12:50 PM
So who won?

Shastafarian
08-10-2010, 01:03 PM
Living in the past, living in the past. What a shame. Must be nice.:rolleyes

I assume living in the past is better than being butthurt about the past eh Rahim?

Fpoonsie
08-10-2010, 01:20 PM
:cry '03 Bruce Bowen :cry

The collective groan early in the game when Bruce gets the ball outside the perimeter in the corner = :cry

TheManFromAcme
08-10-2010, 01:23 PM
:cry '03 Bruce Bowen :cry

The collective groan early in the game when Bruce gets the ball outside the perimeter in the corner = :cry

That was a tough Bruce in '03 Fp I'll admit. His defense was in another stratosphere that year.

Fpoonsie
08-10-2010, 01:27 PM
That was a tough Bruce in '03 Fp I'll admit. His defense was in another stratosphere that year.

It breaks my heart.

TheManFromAcme
08-10-2010, 01:34 PM
It breaks my heart.

I am still convinced Bruce had something left.

sammy
08-10-2010, 01:35 PM
Thanks ElNono! Awesome! It never gets old watching Fisher & Kobe Crying! LMAO!:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin Simply awesome!:toast

lefty
08-10-2010, 01:36 PM
Duncan's finest season

Young Manu
Super Bowen
S-Jaaaaaaaax

And Pop hadn't gone senile yet

Fpoonsie
08-10-2010, 01:46 PM
I am still convinced Bruce had something left.

:depressed

Oh, and :lol at Denzel at the LA game in the NYY hat.

lefty
08-10-2010, 01:47 PM
:depressed

Oh, and :lol at Denzel at the LA game in the NYY hat.
You beat me to it

phxspurfan
08-10-2010, 02:02 PM
Parker's J was trash back then...

lefty
08-10-2010, 02:13 PM
Pop yelling a TP

Aaah, good times

hitmanyr2k
08-10-2010, 04:20 PM
When Shaq got his 4th foul and had to sit down in the 3rd it was game over. The wheels fell off and the Spurs took all the momentum with that run. And then when Shaq came back in he wasn't as aggressive trying to avoid more foul trouble.

At 2:57 of 10/12 I love when Kobe hikes his shorts up and getting in his defensive stance (doing his best Jordan imitation) and Ginobili crosses him up leaving him flat footed at the top of the key putting the Spider-man move on Shaq. Phil then calls a timeout and chews Kobe out :lol

Also Derek Fisher was already fighting back tears at the 7:19 mark of 10/12 and there was still about 9 minutes left to go in the game :lol

And without Slava Medvedenko the Lakers would have probably lost by 50. He was ballin out there. He was really the only guy to give Shaq any help in the 2nd half.

Killakobe81
08-10-2010, 04:42 PM
Oh how I remember that series. Horry was effing crap. Tony Parker was going apeshit on our asses and just penetrating like it was brokeback mountain. And Fish and Bean crying @ end because their 3 year run of title's was over. You guys got your revenge for LakeShow sweeping your asses in '01 and taking you out in 5 games in '02.

Dude's can call Fish and Kobe soft ...but they appeared to be the only ones that truly cared. I thought that then ...and seeing that thihk that STILL.

As for Horry every clutch player fails at some point even the GOAT ...MJ.

Mj has a perfect finals record overall but has some crappy (by his standards) Finals games and some playoff flops against the pistons ...

Horry is still one of the all-time clutch guys but he killed us that series ...

Killakobe81
08-10-2010, 04:45 PM
Did you see the defensive rotations? They did what they were supposed to do in the team concept given the time this took place, remember no one knew how good Manu could be nor Jackson for that matter.

not only where the spurs the first tem to wina series since Staples opened ...
Yall bitches closed down the Fabulous Forum with a sweep as well ...

I really should hate the spurs ... but I don't ...I love Pop and tim ...

Parker and Bowen I i would sock either in the ye in a picup game they tried those dirty tricks or Euro traveling on me ... LOL

It's just some of your fans are "haters" ...

Killakobe81
08-10-2010, 05:14 PM
How do people not watch that game and series and not believe that duncan is abetter big man than shaq?

Which is no slight,to shaq.
2000 version of Shaq was wayyy better than duncan...
But almost every other year it has been tim ...

Amuseddaysleeper
08-10-2010, 05:54 PM
Killakobe81, you hate Parker and Bowen, but where do you stand on Ginobili?

crc21209
08-10-2010, 06:21 PM
One, if not THE favorite Spurs game of ALL-time for me. After what those assholes had done to us in 01' and 02' it felt pretty damn good to get passed them in 03' and crush the dynasty. I almost cried watching Fisher cry...:lol

SpursNextRomanEmpire
08-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Very nice

Gutter92
08-10-2010, 06:34 PM
It's just some of your fans are "haters" ...

And some of your fans are "idiots". There are some intelligent Laker fans too, but most are trolls on this forum tbh.

picc84
08-10-2010, 06:59 PM
The finals before the finals, eh boys? Enjoy. :lol

xtremesteven33
08-10-2010, 07:19 PM
Nohing was sweeter as a Spurs fan back then....

DAF86
08-10-2010, 07:23 PM
:worthy: Thanks.

silverblk mystix
08-10-2010, 07:40 PM
That spurs team at that moment in time were pretty dominant...

if you think about..that was in 03 and they went on to win titles

in 03, 05 & 07

that was pretty special

ChuckD
08-10-2010, 09:28 PM

fuck that open three pointer that he clanked in game 5

Not his fault. He was what, 32 or 33? Phil was playing him WAY too much. He just had nothing left for the playoffs.

Thanks for throwing him away, though. He was good news for our 2005 and 2007 ring teams.

sammy
08-11-2010, 12:39 AM
Great game for the Spurs, but I can't help but notice how much a Laker homer Tom Tolbert is.

Parker got hacked by 4 guys, fell down, was crushed by Shaq. Parker got up, shook it off and went for the FTs. Tolbert said Parker had to be tougher? What the hell? How? Not fall down after being hacked by somebody who outweighs you by 200 lbs? Even Walton couldn't take it.

Then at the end, he was saying, "You have to give the Spurs their credit, BUT the Lakers are missing Rick Fox, who is a veteran with championship experience ...."

I mean, what? Rick Fox? Are you kidding me?

The Lakers were outplayed by a mile in that game, Duncan was incredible, literally carrying the offense in the 3rd.

Tolbert is an idiot! I guess his stupid comments got him dumped from BSPN/ABC! Never saw that jackass again! LOL!

Killakobe81
08-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Killakobe81, you hate Parker and Bowen, but where do you stand on Ginobili?

Nothing but respect for Manu ...
Great comepetitor ...
Clutch ...

Gets away with travels but so do a lot of NBA players (kobe included)

I always thought he could run point in the triangle besides duncan Manu and George hill are the two spurs i have wanted most onthe Lakers ...

Old School 44
08-11-2010, 01:13 PM
Always fun to watch that game! That Spurs team was loaded! If only the overlap of a healthy D-Rob's career with TD's was longer.

In the game, you can see the breakdown of the relationship between Shaq, Kobe and Phil Jackson. It seems as if somewhere in the game, Phil said were going to run the offense through Shaq in the post and Kobe didn't like it. It's like Kobe was going through the motions. Giving up the ball, and/or passing up shots.

lefty
08-11-2010, 01:29 PM
I miss Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaax

:-(

Cant_Be_Faded
08-11-2010, 09:17 PM
CBF-NonTrolling Mode Post:

I always thought the Lakers were so freaking thin beyond Shaq, Kobe, and Fish, that it was ridiculous that team three-peated. They definintely were going to win a championship or two, but three in a row? I thought it was ridiculous.
I thought the only year they were the best team, without a doubt, no one was gonna stop them was 2001.

In 2000, I felt they were competitive to win the title, but were lucky that both Portland and Indiana choked like total fucking assholes. But like they say, only the good teams are lucky.

But in 2002, there is no doubt in my mind the refs fucked the Kings, and that the Kings were supposed to go down in history as the champions that year. Hnaturally the Nets were never going to beat any team that came out of the West.

Moving forth, this new Lakers Dynasty is much much better than its Western Conference brethren, relatively, than the original Shaq Lakers Dynasty was in the west.
In 08, there was a chance the Lakers could be taken down. We could have done it. But we failed.

In 09 and 10, there was realistically no team that could touch the Lakers.

So here is a question I would like to ask Spurstalk:

What would the new Lakers Dynasty have done in the nba if we can magically transpose the 08-10 Lakers team into the 00-02 NBA seasons?

I've never seen this discussed at length and feel its an interesting topic.

Personally I think the West was much more stacked then, compared to now.

Budkin
08-11-2010, 09:53 PM
I kept waiting for the inevitable Laker comeback... and it never came. What a game that was!

SpurSpurSpurs
08-12-2010, 05:17 AM
I just lol'ed at Joe Crawford for the foul he called in the 2nd quarter, changing it from Kobe Bryant to Brian Shaw. Then if you look at the replay, you're gonna roflmao few times.

hitmanyr2k
08-12-2010, 10:16 AM
What would the new Lakers Dynasty have done in the nba if we can magically transpose the 08-10 Lakers team into the 00-02 NBA seasons?

I think the 08-10 Lakers would have gotten their collective asses whooped by the Blazers, Kings, and even the Spurs back then. These days the Lakers get by on size. They win because they can put the biggest team out on the floor and they play against midgets more often than not. They dominate the offensive glass and get a lot of second shots. I said it all through the playoffs last year and I'm saying it now. You beat LA on the boards you win the series. It's that simple. Back in the early 00's the Kings, Blazers, and Spurs all were capable of putting out big/lengthy lineups that could give the 08-10 Laker team more than enough trouble in the paint.

When it comes right down to it prime Shaq was a beast that rarely could be stopped. He made entire frontlines wilt and just broke them down as the series went along. No one wanted to take that physical punishment guarding him game after game. When you have a guy breaking down the opponent's interior and demoralizing them like Shaq did the game became easier for everyone else. As good as Gasol is he's not that punishing type of player and all of the teams I mentioned had frontlines who could match up with Gasol and Bynum's game and length (Sabonis/Dale Davis/Brian Grant, Divac/Webber, Duncan/Robinson).

BillWalton
08-12-2010, 10:54 AM
Wow, can it get any better than this? A magnificent scene has unfolded before us in picturesque downtown Los Angeles. We are forever entwined in the middle of Hollywood watching these collective casts of superstar character wielding their magic. You have Tim Duncan, the wizard, leading on these courageous young men from San Antonio. Then you have Kobe and Shaq, on top of the basketball universe for eons and eons. Can Duncan's men scale the mountain that stands in front of them, The 3 time NBA Champions from Los Angeles?

Slava Medvedenko is guarding Tim Duncan. Give him the ball now, anything else is ludicrous!

:elephant