PDA

View Full Version : Kerr: Man-to-Manu defense

bigbendbruisebrother
05-18-2005, 09:24 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap?gid=2005051724&prov=ap

Man-to-Manu defense

By Steve Kerr, Yahoo! Sports
May 17, 2005

Yahoo! Sports' NBA analyst Steve Kerr makes his points on the postseason in his playoff notebook.

San Antonio 103, Seattle 90
If I may quote my TNT cohort Charles Barkley … "GI-NO-BILI!"

In a stunning performance, Manu Ginobili scored 39 points on just 15 field-goal attempts to help the San Antonio Spurs come away with a hard-fought Game 5 victory over the Seattle SuperSonics on Tuesday night.

Ginobili is that rare NBA player who actually stands out in the crowd. That's a very difficult thing to do in the league because there are so many good players. But when you watch a game and one man continually rises above the rest, you know he's good.

Reinserted into the starting lineup by Gregg Popovich, Ginobili slashed his way to the hole constantly against Seattle's defense, scoring on an array of finger rolls, dunks and layins. When the Sonics backed off of him, he drained jumpers, and, as they've done all series, resorted to hard fouls as well, sending him to the line 17 times (he made 15 of them).

All in all, it was an amazing performance when Popovich and the Spurs needed it most. Tim Duncan and Tony Parker both suffered through sub-par games and San Antonio struggled to put away Seattle until late in the game.

Nate McMillan's team put up a great fight despite being without Rashard Lewis and Vladimir Radmanovic. The Sonics again worked their screen and rolls effectively against the Spurs, and they pounded the offensive glass for 13 rebounds. But unlike Game 4, Seattle couldn't get its defense in gear.

The Sonics forced San Antonio into just nine turnovers and scored zero fast-break points. Seattle can't win if it can't score some easy buckets, and the Spurs were very careful with the ball for that reason. San Antonio knows that if it forces the Sonics into their half-court offense most of the game that it has a great chance to win.

For Seattle to force a deciding seventh game with a Game 6 victory on Thursday, it'll have to do a better job of finding some free points. The Sonics must attack the rim and get to the free-throw line, and they have to force turnovers and get out on the fast break. Also, they have to knock down jump shots, like they did in Game 4.

But the biggest challenge for the Sonics will be keeping Ginobili out of the paint. He has an amazing knack for shifting directions and speeds while going full bore down the lane, then somehow finishing the play or passing to someone else for a bucket. Seattle has to do a better job containing him to have a chance, and it may decide to play more zone defense to get the job done.

For San Antonio, it's time to step up and win a road game to finish off the series. The Spurs are a much better team than Seattle, especially when it is without Lewis and Radmanovic, and they have to do what they did in Game 5: take care of the ball, make Seattle score in the half court and play with an edge. If they do so, they'll earn a trip to the Western Conference finals. If not, there will be a nerve-wracking Game 7 on Sunday.

nkdlunch
05-18-2005, 09:27 AM
That's the scary thing. Sonics played w/out Lewis and Radmanovic for the 2nd time. I think Allen's overconfidence is rubbing off on the other Sonics and they're playing at a higher level.

bigbendbruisebrother
05-18-2005, 10:37 AM
That's the scary thing. Sonics played w/out Lewis and Radmanovic for the 2nd time. I think Allen's overconfidence is rubbing off on the other Sonics and they're playing at a higher level.

The sonics have been playing way over their heads. They're due to come back down to earth.

TMSKILZ
05-18-2005, 10:37 AM
Helps SEA that we're getting nothing on OFF from Barry, Beno & Bruce.

boutons
05-18-2005, 10:40 AM
"They're due to come back down to earth."

They're facing elimination before their fans, so don't count on it.
They won't be giving the game away.

wildbill2u
05-18-2005, 10:42 AM

On the other hand, we played without Tony Parker. That guy wearing his number was an imposter. :lol

Jimcs50
05-18-2005, 10:55 AM
This series is really over. The Spurs won game 3, but gave it away missing 16 FTs in a 1 pt loss.

Samr
05-18-2005, 11:05 AM
The Sonics forced San Antonio into just nine turnovers and scored zero fast-break points.

Actually, it was the SONICS that had 0 fast break points. The Spurs forced THEM into that.

bigbendbruisebrother
05-18-2005, 11:09 AM
"They're due to come back down to earth."

They're facing elimination before their fans, so don't count on it.
They won't be giving the game away.

That's not what I meant or implied. I mean they are actually playing above their abilities (Ridenour, Collison) and their depth (without Rashard Lewis and Radmo). I expect a really tough game 6, and in fact I've put my vbookie scratch on this thing going 7 games. I just think they're due to miss some shots. Everything they threw up in game four went in. I doubt they can repeat that, especially after the Spurs to a large extent finally figured out how to stem the pick and roll damage. I also think making Ray Allen work his ass off on defense payed big dividends last night.

Phenomanul
05-18-2005, 11:36 AM
Actually, it was the SONICS that had 0 fast break points. The Spurs forced THEM into that.

That's what the quote says.... you are slightly mis-reading it.

cherylsteele
05-18-2005, 11:38 AM
On the other hand, we played without Tony Parker. That guy wearing his number was an imposter. :lol

Is that why Eva didn't seem to be at the game?

Phenomanul
05-18-2005, 11:52 AM
Is that why Eva didn't seem to be at the game?

The real Parker went to investigate the Vader situation..... :depressed

ambchang
05-18-2005, 12:00 PM
The Sonics aren't playing way over their heads, the Spurs are just struggling with defending strong shooting teams. The Spurs are great at interior defense and stopping penetration, but they struggle against Seattle because the Sonics perimeter players have a quick pull up off the screen. The Spurs, with their reluctance to send a third defender to help out (something to do with good spacing for Seattle) either gives up an open jumper, or leaves one of those overweight centres on the Sonics roll into the lane for a dunk.
BTW, doesn't Fortson, with his pony tails, look like a very fat (and ugly) girl? I probably won't ever say that to his face, but he should probably reconsider his hair style.

CrazyOne
05-18-2005, 12:17 PM
I second the note on Fortson's hair... didn't Spreewell or somebody on the Knicks sport a little girl's style ponytails? It looks soooo stupid on them. :lol