PDA

View Full Version : Former Senators plane crashes in Alaska...

CosmicCowboy
08-10-2010, 11:45 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_alaska_plane_crash

UNEAU, Alaska – A plane carrying nine people crashed amid southwest Alaska's remote mountains and lakes, killing five people on board, authorities said Tuesday. Former Sen. Ted Stevens and ex-NASA chief Sean O'Keefe were believed to be aboard.
It was unclear if the longtime Republican senator and O'Keefe were among the dead.
Rescuers arrived on helicopter early Tuesday and were giving medical care to survivors, Alaska National Guard spokesman Maj. Guy Hayes said. He offered no additional details, except that there were potential fatalities.
Alaska officials reported that nine people were aboard the aircraft and that "it appears that there are five fatalities," NTSB spokesman Ted Lopatkiewicz told The Associated Press in Washington.
A U.S. government official told the AP that Alaska authorities have been told that the 86-year-old Stevens, a former longtime Republican senator, was on the plane. The official, who spoke on grounds of anonymity, says Stevens' condition is unknown.
The federal official declined to be publicly identified because the crash response and investigation are under way.
Hayes said the Guard was called to the area about 20 miles north of Dillingham around 7 p.m. Monday after a passing aircraft saw the downed plane. But severe weather has hampered search and rescue efforts.
The National Weather Service reported rain and fog at Dillingham, with low clouds and limited visibility early Tuesday. Conditions ranged from visibility of about 10 miles reported at Dillingham shortly before 7 p.m. Monday to 3 miles, with rain and fog later.
Stevens and O'Keefe are longtime fishing buddies and the former senator had been planning a fishing trip near Dillingham, longtime friend William Canfield said.
The flight in and out of Dillingham is an often perilous trip through the mountains even in good weather, Canfield said.
FAA spokesman Mike Fergus said the plane was being flown — from one lodge to another — using visual flight rules, and didn't need a flight plan. He said he didn't know who made the call that triggered the all-alert notice, that the plane was overdue.

ElNono
08-10-2010, 11:46 AM
Ted 'Internet tubes' Stevens?

CosmicCowboy
08-10-2010, 11:49 AM
Personally I could care less about "Bridge to Nowhere" Stevens but they were in a DeHavilland Otter...now THATS a damn shame. There were only like 500 of them built and they are flying works of art...

http://www.exc-adventures.com/photo-gallery/aircraft/otter-001b.jpg

Cane
08-10-2010, 12:30 PM
The National Weather Service reported rain and fog at Dillingham, with low clouds and limited visibility early Tuesday. Conditions ranged from visibility of about 10 miles reported at Dillingham shortly before 7 p.m. Monday to 3 miles, with rain and fog later.

The flight in and out of Dillingham is an often perilous trip through the mountains even in good weather, Canfield said.

FAA spokesman Mike Fergus said the plane was being flown — from one lodge to another — using visual flight rules, and didn't need a flight plan. He said he didn't know who made the call that triggered the all-alert notice, that the plane was overdue.

Sounds like a shitty pilot to me, hard to trust the guys that want to fly tiny aircraft in shitty weather as well imo.

Winehole23
08-10-2010, 12:36 PM
Hard to avoid it in Alaska.

bigzak25
08-10-2010, 12:38 PM
I'm always wary of these supposed accidents with ex top level government officials.

boutons_deux
08-10-2010, 12:56 PM
he's no longer a govt official.

He's an ex senator corrupted by BigOil and who knows what else.

dubya's politicized, corrupt DoJ prosecutors deliberately misbehaved in Stevens' trial so his conviction would be thrown out.

doobs
08-10-2010, 01:05 PM
he's no longer a govt official.

He's an ex senator corrupted by BigOil and who knows what else.

dubya's politicized, corrupt DoJ prosecutors deliberately misbehaved in Stevens' trial so his conviction would be thrown out.

You're a lunatic.

CosmicCowboy
08-10-2010, 02:04 PM
Breaking news Stevens was killed.

TeyshaBlue
08-10-2010, 02:31 PM
Hard to avoid it in Alaska.

I had a chance to teach in the Alaskan bush in the early 90's. The school districts are so large that I would've been flown between campuses.:wow
I passed. But it paid extremely well.:greedy