PDA

View Full Version : Is Tracy McGrady a Hall-of-Famer?

Galileo
08-10-2010, 04:53 PM
Is Tracy McGrady a Hall-of-Famer?

Here's his stats & info:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mcgratr01.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracy_McGrady

I say NO.

Never won a playoff series. A fairly short career as a good player. Low FG% in playoffs, and without a lot of free throws. Basically an over-rated player with good stats and few accomplishments. And I think the Hall is starting to tighten up its requirements for borderline players.

HOF Monitor Leaders
http://www.databasebasketball.com/leaders/leadershof.htm

NBA & ABA Career Leaders and Records for Hall of Fame Probability
http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/hof_prob_career.html

JamStone
08-10-2010, 04:59 PM
Until Bernard King gets in, it's not even a question that it's no. If King gets in, then maybe.

Red Hawk #21
08-10-2010, 05:04 PM
Hell No.

SomeCallMeTim
08-10-2010, 05:08 PM
More like Hall of Lamer!

King of the Burn!
BgvXF1sc3Uk

Kobe Molested Me
08-10-2010, 05:10 PM
Fuck no!

MR.SILVER&BLack
08-10-2010, 05:21 PM
Nope. i think he is a honorable mention when it comes to top scoring guards, but he wont be in the HAF.

BRHornet45
08-10-2010, 05:25 PM
Son there is noway that cross eyed, lazy ass McGrady is deserving of the hall of fame. Then again, anything is possible in the WWE.

Galileo
08-10-2010, 05:30 PM
How many other 2-time scoring champs aren't in the Hall?

Killakobe81
08-10-2010, 05:33 PM
Until Bernard King gets in, it's not even a question that it's no. If King gets in, then maybe.

agree.
Chose maybe in poll ...

Tough calls for the HOF on "comet" players ...shine bright then fizzle.

Bernard was an unbelivable scorer before his knee injury he was like a cross between paul pierce for his elbow and mid-range game BUT an even better scorer ...

He was amazing if you watch the NBA classics of his battle with Isiah inthe playoffs or look at his stats right before he blew his knee out. He was leading nique Bird and MJ in scoring .. at 32 plus in 84-85 ...

Great player he deserves to be in THEN let's discuss McGrady as well ...

Brazil
08-10-2010, 05:34 PM
idk tbh

I don't think he belongs but we never know.

baseline bum
08-10-2010, 05:44 PM
Nope. If he gets in, then you'd have to start looking at guys like Grant Hill, Stephon Marbury, Penny Hardaway, and Steve Francis.

Galileo
08-10-2010, 05:44 PM
agree.
Chose maybe in poll ...

Tough calls for the HOF on "comet" players ...shine bright then fizzle.

Bernard was an unbelivable scorer before his knee injury he was like a cross between paul pierce for his elbow and mid-range game BUT an even better scorer ...

He was amazing if you watch the NBA classics of his battle with Isiah inthe playoffs or look at his stats right before he blew his knee out. He was leading nique Bird and MJ in scoring .. at 32 plus in 84-85 ...

Great player he deserves to be in THEN let's discuss McGrady as well ...

I would back Bernard King for the Hall.

Another strike against McGrady is that he had no accomplishments in college.

baseline bum
08-10-2010, 05:51 PM
Bernard King is one of the only cases of the short but awesome career I would back for the HOF, since he was a dominant player in the playoffs and since he became an all-star level player again after coming back from an injury that practically cost him 2 1/2 seasons. No one thought King was ever coming back from that injury, and for him to return as strong as he did with the Bullets was incredible. Too bad his knee couldn't have lasted a little longer to get those 345 points he needed for 20,000.

noob cake
08-10-2010, 05:56 PM

T-Mac might sneak in because of this. It was a fan favorite for a few years in the league.

SomeCallMeTim
08-10-2010, 05:56 PM
I would back Bernard King for the Hall.

Another strike against McGrady is that he had no accomplishments in college.

He didn't lose a single game in college.

Take that Jordan, Magic, Bird, and Duncan.

TheKingOfMIA6
08-10-2010, 06:05 PM
No

accidently voted for maybe

Darrin
08-10-2010, 06:09 PM
No. He has done nothing but become a scoring champion. He has never won an MVP award, he has never been out of the first round of the postseason. He has never been on a great team. He's just a scorer and at 31-years-old, without a productive season since 29-years-old, not having more than 15 ppg in his first 2 seasons, he has not met any criteria to make a Hall-of-Famer.

JMarkJohns
08-10-2010, 06:10 PM
Nope. If he gets in, then you'd have to start looking at guys like Grant Hill, Stephon Marbury, Penny Hardaway, and Steve Francis.

Grant Hill is ahead of McGrady in my book. Similar number of high-level prime years in the NBA, only Hill was a great collegiate player at Duke, and has some incredible highlights, including "The Pass" to Laettner for he made "The Shot". In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if Hill is elected. His career is much more significant in historical standards, and the HOF is predicated upon simply playing basketball at a high level.

Nathan89
08-10-2010, 06:36 PM
No. He has done nothing but become a scoring champion. He has never won an MVP award, he has never been out of the first round of the postseason. He has never been on a great team. He's just a scorer and at 31-years-old, without a productive season since 29-years-old, not having more than 15 ppg in his first 2 seasons, he has not met any criteria to make a Hall-of-Famer.

This is spot on. I agree with everything and that is why the answer to the poll is HECK NO.

tmtcsc
08-10-2010, 10:34 PM
Hall of Fame ????

:lmao

Dex
08-10-2010, 10:36 PM
13 in 35 was amazing. :pctoss

But still, no.

Dunc n Dave
08-10-2010, 10:41 PM
Not a chance in hell McGrady makes the hall.

Bito Corleone
08-11-2010, 01:51 AM

How many other 2-time scoring champs never won a playoff series?

BRHornet45
08-11-2010, 01:55 AM
sons if Tracy McGrady is a hall of famer then so is Peja.

himat
08-11-2010, 01:58 AM
Unless he finally comes back into All Star form in his final years to make people have another glimpse of the type of player he is, the answer is no.

SenorSpur
08-11-2010, 08:15 AM
Not no, but HELL no.

If Tracy McGrady is a HOFer, then so should Steve Francis.

hater
08-11-2010, 09:38 AM
So answer is not. What about Vince Carter? I say no too.

JamStone
08-11-2010, 09:40 AM
I don't think T-Mac is in, but here's a case for him. On that "Hall of Fame probability" list, T-Mac is #79 and #13 among active players. The only player ahead of T-Mac on the list who is already eligible to be in the HOF is Jo Jo White. Among the active (or not yet eligible) players who are ahead of T-Mac, they are all sure-fire HOFers except for Vince Carter and Ray Allen. Doesn't mean T-Mac deserves it or will get in, but it shows he might be closer than what some people may think.

What is obviously against him to me is not his playoff failures but the fact that his "great years" are so few. He had probably 7 maybe 8 great seasons. I think his career would be comparable to someone like Alex English, except Alex played at a high level into his mid 30s and T-Mac already looks done. But say T-Mac is able to play another 3 seasons of above average basketball, not all star caliber, but better than average. He'll have a stronger case.

Right now, I agree with everyone that he isn't one. But, the Hall of Fame probability is interesting...

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/hof_prob_career.html

OC Lakerfan
08-11-2010, 11:04 AM
Bernard King, yes.
Grant Hill > TMac but neither belong in the Hall. Grant was a lock pre-injury though. Penny is in the same category as these two.

The Franchise
08-11-2010, 11:33 AM
He shouldn't even be considered.

JamStone
08-11-2010, 11:48 AM
Bernard King, yes.
Grant Hill > TMac but neither belong in the Hall. Grant was a lock pre-injury though. Penny is in the same category as these two.

Grant Hill still has a pretty good chance of getting into the HOF based largely on his college career.

OC Lakerfan
08-11-2010, 11:49 AM
Grant Hill still has a pretty good chance of getting into the HOF based largely on his college career.

College Career does not equal Pro.

Chieflion
08-11-2010, 11:56 AM

It is the Basketball Hall of Fame, not the NBA hall of fame.

Basketball Jones
08-11-2010, 03:24 PM
Is penny hardaway a hall of famer?

TheSullyMonster
08-11-2010, 08:28 PM

There is only one HOF.

08-11-2010, 09:42 PM
There is only one HOF.
i think that was his point.

will_spurs
08-12-2010, 03:30 AM

Exactly. This is why a guy like Ginobili will get in, and T-Mac probably won't.

However it's also important to remember that the voting is not now but in 10-15 years, and then it's all about the player's legacy, and the memories of some sports people who might never have seen the guy play.

21_Blessings
08-12-2010, 04:22 AM
"Hall of Fame probability list"

It doesn't work that way.

lol the Hollinger generation

JamStone
08-12-2010, 09:58 AM
It doesn't work that way.

lol the Hollinger generation

Or you could read better.

Right now, I agree with everyone that he isn't one. But, the Hall of Fame probability is interesting...