PDA

View Full Version : This is Manu's team now!

SpursChampsIII
05-18-2005, 09:48 AM
Manu not only wants the ball in the clutch, he knows what to do with it too. I'm sicked and tired of getting the ball to TD when he is "posted" up 15 feet away from the basket, or TP when he drives and looks to shoot first, pass later, no matter how off-balance he is. We can't win it all unless the big three show up, and that won't happen until TD and TP bring intensity to the games EVERY night.

Kona
05-18-2005, 09:54 AM
hey, is that brent barry in your avatar?

Gummi
05-18-2005, 10:04 AM
Clearly a basketball mind at work. Take Duncan out and Manu will struggle big time. It's not just about the box score, man. That's what makes Duncan better than Garnett, he makes his teammates better and makes it easier for them.

samikeyp
05-18-2005, 10:08 AM
One thing that helped Manu get to the hoop is that Tim was getting Seattle's bigs in foul trouble. Its a team thing, bro.

coz
05-18-2005, 10:08 AM
I'm not sure if you're serious, this is two posts in a row like this......

If you're joking, or trying to incite, cool.

If you're not, watch a few more games before your next post. Knee jerk posters like you belong on espn boards or that other site.

sa_butta
05-18-2005, 10:10 AM
I like the way Manu took this game into his hands but
lets not hand him the team. Everything still goes through
TD. Uh two time MVP and finals MVP does that mean anything here. Manu has a great game but does not
hold the keys to the SBC.

SpursChampsIII
05-18-2005, 10:14 AM
Clearly a basketball mind at work. Take Duncan out and Manu will struggle big time. It's not just about the box score, man. That's what makes Duncan better than Garnett, he makes his teammates better and makes it easier for them.

My opinion stands, regardless of what YOU think of my mind. Duncan does not bring intensity EVERY night...come to a game in person, see for yourself, then you can put together a valid thought. Manu did just fine when he was feeding Nazr "CLOSE TO THE BASKET". Of course we can't win without Duncan, nimrod, read my post again and see if you can grasp the overall meaning.

SpurYank
05-18-2005, 10:17 AM
Up here, a greater number of people would say both Kidd and Garnett deserved to win the MVP the years that Timmy won. In fact, a lot of the sports talk shows on Sirrius radio echo that same sentiment.

They add that every year the Spurs or the Pistons win is a drawback for the NBA because of the style of basketball they play.

ducks
05-18-2005, 10:18 AM
barkley said on tnt last night night on a different weaker team manu would average easily 25 points a game

SpursChampsIII
05-18-2005, 10:19 AM
I'm not sure if you're serious, this is two posts in a row like this......

If you're joking, or trying to incite, cool.

If you're not, watch a few more games before your next post. Knee jerk posters like you belong on espn boards or that other site.

You don't know me, son. I'm stating my opinion on here, you're taking it another way. Get off YOUR knees before you call me names...I'm a season ticket holder, so don't go there with me about watching games. In the future, don't worry about my posts, boy.

MadDog73
05-18-2005, 10:20 AM
This is funny, arguing who's team it is. Different nights, different players step up. Last I checked, Tim still leads the Spurs in Points, Rebounds and Blocked Shots.

That said, Manu provides an energy and agression that the Spurs sorely need. Tim would not be able to win without Manu, and vice-versa.

Tony is my biggest concern right now... 3 sub-par games in a row. Hopefully, he'll get over Eva (or whatever is bothering him) and score 30 pts, 10 assists tomorrow.

:D

ducks
05-18-2005, 10:21 AM
manu is great
I hope he can play 35 plus minutes next year and be effective for 82 games plus PLAYOFFS

ducks
05-18-2005, 10:24 AM
if manu wins finals mvp then you people might have a better point

Spurminator
05-18-2005, 10:25 AM
This is Gregg Popovich's team.

SPARKY
05-18-2005, 10:28 AM
Fuck man this team is a contender first and foremost because of Tim Duncan.

You fucking ingrate Spurs fans you always seem to find a way to denigrate those who got you to the promised land. Fucking A.

coz
05-18-2005, 10:28 AM
a season ticket holder? That makes it even worse. No I don't know you, nor do I want to. You spend money on season tickets but still somehow don't see the game. I'm also completely uninterested in a debate with you. So, in interest of killing this thread...... You're right. Manu brings it every night and Tim is a slacker. The 2 MVP Trophys are nonsense...... Nazr is the best Spurs post, he needs the bulk of the minutes.....

SPARKY
05-18-2005, 10:29 AM
I can think of no better way to fuck this team over than to go to Nazr Mohammed in the post. I know I enjoyed him hitting nothing but glass on that one move he put on James.

Sweet Jesus you guys are clueless.

coz
05-18-2005, 10:30 AM
hope you picked up the sarcasm......

coz
05-18-2005, 10:31 AM
I referenced this gem by the thread starter.... http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16060

SpursChampsIII
05-18-2005, 10:33 AM
Up here, a greater number of people would say both Kidd and Garnett deserved to win the MVP the years that Timmy won. In fact, a lot of the sports talk shows on Sirrius radio echo that same sentiment.

They add that every year the Spurs or the Pistons win is a drawback for the NBA because of the style of basketball they play.

Actually, Duncan got ripped off the last year Malone won the MVP. TD clearly was the best, but Malone got the sympathy vote.

SpursChampsIII
05-18-2005, 10:34 AM
This is funny, arguing who's team it is. Different nights, different players step up. Last I checked, Tim still leads the Spurs in Points, Rebounds and Blocked Shots.

That said, Manu provides an energy and agression that the Spurs sorely need. Tim would not be able to win without Manu, and vice-versa.

Tony is my biggest concern right now... 3 sub-par games in a row. Hopefully, he'll get over Eva (or whatever is bothering him) and score 30 pts, 10 assists tomorrow.

:D

Good points.

SpursChampsIII
05-18-2005, 10:43 AM
a season ticket holder? That makes it even worse. No I don't know you, nor do I want to. You spend money on season tickets but still somehow don't see the game. I'm also completely uninterested in a debate with you. So, in interest of killing this thread...... You're right. Manu brings it every night and Tim is a slacker. The 2 MVP Trophys are nonsense...... Nazr is the best Spurs post, he needs the bulk of the minutes.....

I spend my money and I'm entitled to my opinion. That crap you spewed at the end of your post didn't come from me. Your tunnel vision is not allowing you to see the whole gist of my post. I can't believe I'm arguing with a friggin kid. You win, I know when I'm "licked."

coz
05-18-2005, 10:58 AM
The following are the posts that I have taken issue with. As for age differences, it doesn't matter to me how old or young you are, you don't know a damn thing about basketball. So you have season tickets, so do I, so do a lot of people on this board. Because you spend money on the Spurs does not make you informed.

"Manu not only wants the ball in the clutch, he knows what to do with it too."

No problem with this.

"I'm sicked and tired of getting the ball to TD when he is "posted" up 15 feet away from the basket,"

The offense runs through Tim, when he posts up, he can wait for a double team, or create pass out for a nice pick and roll from that high post. In case you missed it all season, the Spurs like their pick and rolls.

"or TP when he drives and looks to shoot first, pass later, no matter how off-balance he is."

Funny, when Tony's not looking to drive the lane, people grumble, when he is, people grumble. The only thing you seem to have a grasp of is the final stat line. Tony broke down the defense effectively last night, he just missed a few shots. It was good to see the aggression though.

"We can't win it all unless the big three show up, and that won't happen until TD and TP bring intensity to the games EVERY night."

True, but because Duncan doesn't score 40, doesn't mean he didn't bring his intensity. I case you have again missed this fact all season, other teams tend to pay attention to 21.

"He clearly outplayed Duncan, played bigger and tougher than Duncan."

You honestly stand by this post?

"Was Nazr hurt, tired, or maybe Pop was too brain-dead to see his boy (Timmy) was not playing with the same intensity?"

When Nazr was the only big in the game for the Spurs, he was completely ineffective. He couldn't keep the Sonics out of the paint, couldn't get a board, and even fouled Fortson for a 3 point play on his way out. I could see Pop fuming the whole time.

"He could have played at least half the 4Q so that Timmy could stand 15 feet away from the basket where he feels comfortable."

The beauty of Tim is that he feels comfortable anywhere. Tim can initiate offense from the three point line if he wanted to. The more touches Tim gets, the better. The key is the movement of the other 4 guys.

SpursChampsIII
05-18-2005, 11:06 AM
For the simple-minded (i.e. Coz), maybe the thread should have been titled, "Manu is the go-to man on the team", or "Manu is the inspiration of the team." I'm not going to look up any of Coz's posts...I'm not infactuated with him/her/it, whatever.

coz
05-18-2005, 11:15 AM
Listen SC0399, I'm not interested in following you around the virtual post board to try to blast your posts. I did call your post (or you) ignorant which most likely started the personal attacks. I could care less about you, but since you call me out by name, I feel a response is necessary.

I argue basketball, you argue age.

I argue basketball, you argue season tickets.

I quote the entire threads in question to respond, you claim I'm simple minded.

You say it's your opinion, well this is an opinion board.... Because you think it doesn't mean you don't have to back it up.

If you're not interested in people disagreeing with you, don't post such obviously inane crap.

SpursChampsIII
05-18-2005, 11:21 AM
Listen SC0399, I'm not interested in following you around the virtual post board to try to blast your posts. I did call your post (or you) ignorant which most likely started the personal attacks. I could care less about you, but since you call me out by name, I feel a response is necessary.

I argue basketball, you argue age.

I argue basketball, you argue season tickets.

I quote the entire threads in question to respond, you claim I'm simple minded.

You say it's your opinion, well this is an opinion board.... Because you think it doesn't mean you don't have to back it up.

If you're not interested in people disagreeing with you, don't post such obviously inane crap.

If you think it's crap, don't respond. I made a statement, you interpreted it YOUR way, not MY way. I've wasted enough time on you. You don't understand half of the attempted analytical crap you posted above...the last post is yours if you want it.

samikeyp
05-18-2005, 11:34 AM
It's San Antonio's team.

End of Discussion.

coz
05-18-2005, 11:43 AM
"the last post is yours if you want it."

Thank you...

You are the epitome of jackass.

vsnba
05-18-2005, 11:47 AM
Still it Duncan Team. Manu is great. If Duncan struggles he does all dirty works. I know our exppectation from Duncan is very high. Even if score 40 points, 14 rebound , couple assist and block . We don't give him credit. Anyway it good that spurs won . Does not matter who scored more

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-18-2005, 12:29 PM
No one's saying bench Tim.

They're saying run the fourth quarter offense through Manu.

Did anyone pay attention when LA was kicking our ass year after year? Shaq did the dirty work, but it was Kobe (a guard) that was the closer for that team.

I hate comparing us to LA, but Manu should do the same thing in fourth quarters for us as Kobe did for them - win the damn game.

Jimcs50
05-18-2005, 12:38 PM
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/apmegasports/saa10505180258.hmedium.jpg

This shot by Manu was awesome. The ball had no business going in...it was Jordanesque...the ball had just enough overspin to climb up the backboard just enough to fall in the basket.

You guys see this shot?

Right then, I knew that God loves Manu the way he loved MJ.

:)

waly.mg
05-18-2005, 12:43 PM
Itīs Timmy Team first

If Timmy Struggles, Manu is a great Option, but we try to use Timmy First because when Tim begins to scvore, as Avery said "Close the door and letīs go"

waly.mg
Itīs Timmy Team first

If Timmy Struggles, Manu is a great Option, but we try to use Timmy First because when Tim begins to score, as Avery said "Close the door and letīs go"

BadlyDrawnBoy
Take Duncan out and Manu will struggle big time.

Manu has had his biggest and best games when the team was sans Duncan.

Look, Duncan is one of the NBA's best players, top 3.

He's our best player.

But in this years playoffs.

Manu > Duncan

That's not to take anything away from Duncan.

BadlyDrawnBoy
05-18-2005, 12:44 PM
It's San Antonio's team.

End of Discussion.

It's the NBA's team.

End o' Discussion.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-18-2005, 12:56 PM
Take Duncan out and Manu will struggle big time.

I guess you missed the third quarter when Pop took Tim out while Manu was going ape shit all over Seattle.

Look, LA was Shaq's team, but Kobe was the closer in the playoffs.

SA is Tim's team, but it should Manu's ball in the fourth.

Some of you guys crystalize this argument way too much. With the NBA rules what they are, guards are in a much better position to make a positive play at the end of games than a big man.

samikeyp
05-18-2005, 12:57 PM
It's the NBA's team.

End o' Discussion.

using that logic, since Peter Holt owns the franchise, that would make it his team.

I was being more symbolic.

BadlyDrawnBoy
05-18-2005, 12:59 PM
using that logic, since Peter Holt owns the franchise, that would make it his team.

I was being more symbolic.

It's my team.

I'm being selfish.

SequSpur
05-18-2005, 01:00 PM
This post season is making me reconsider who is the number one player on this team also.

BadlyDrawnBoy
05-18-2005, 01:02 PM
This post season is making me reconsider who is the number one player on this team also.

Would that player be Manure?

MadDog73
05-18-2005, 01:02 PM
I guess you missed the third quarter when Pop took Tim out while Manu was going ape shit all over Seattle.

Look, LA was Shaq's team, but Kobe was the closer in the playoffs.

SA is Tim's team, but it should Manu's ball in the fourth.

Some of you guys crystalize this argument way too much. With the NBA rules what they are, guards are in a much better position to make a positive play at the end of games than a big man.

This is exactly my point of what is wrong with "who's team is it" threads.

The Lakers lost in 2003 and 2004 because they were arguing "who's team is it?" Who gets the ball, Shaq or Kobe? Who takes the blame, who gets the credit?

This is a recipe for disaster. It's not Tim's team. It's not Manu's team. It's not even Pop's team. EVERYONE (even Brent Barry) is responsible for wins and losses. It's everyone's team. That's Spurs Basketball.

BadlyDrawnBoy
05-18-2005, 01:07 PM
This is exactly my point of what is wrong with "who's team is it" threads.

The Lakers lost in 2003 and 2004 because they were arguing "who's team is it?" Who gets the ball, Shaq or Kobe? Who takes the blame, who gets the credit?

This is a recipe for disaster. It's not Tim's team. It's not Manu's team. It's not even Pop's team. EVERYONE (even Brent Barry) are responsible for wins and losses. It's everyone's team. That's Spurs Basketball.

It is someone's team.

It's Tim's team. he's our best player. The best player of the team is always rightful owner of the title "his team." It's that simple.

In LA, no one would say who was better. Kobe or Shaq.

That's why they're now on opposite ends of the US.

It's Tim's team, but in the 2005 playoffs, Manu has been slightly better.

kskonn
05-18-2005, 01:14 PM
I also have season tickets since that has been a point of contention during this thread with some people. What I see is that Tim Duncan brings his game abot 95% of the time, I would argue that Manu tries to bring his game every night but still does not bring it as consistently as Tim. I think we are seeing a classic case of Tim doing what he does, mr consistent and Manu doing more than he has ever done. People often forget what Tim does because he is quiet and suddle, Manu is the opposite. But the question to ask is:

Would the spurs struggle more without Ginobli or without Duncan?

I say Duncan.

BadlyDrawnBoy
05-18-2005, 01:15 PM
I also have season tickets since that has been a point of contention during this thread with some people. What I see is that Tim Duncan brings his game abot 95% of the time, I would argue that Manu tries to bring his game every night but still does not bring it as consistently as Tim. I think we are seeing a classic case of Tim doing what he does, mr consistent and Manu doing more than he has ever done. People often forget what Tim does because he is quiet and suddle, Manu is the opposite. But the question to ask is:

Would the spurs struggle more without Ginobli or without Duncan?

I say Duncan.

Of course. No one is nor should argue that.

What many are saying and what is being argue is that Manu is playing better in the 2005 playoffs than Tim.

MadDog73
05-18-2005, 01:17 PM
It is someone's team.

It's Tim's team. he's our best player. The best player of the team is always rightful owner of the title "his team." It's that simple.

In LA, no one would say who was better. Kobe or Shaq.

That's why they're now on opposite ends of the US.

It's Tim's team, but in the 2005 playoffs, Manu has been slightly better.

I'm sure Manu and Tim don't think like that. I'm sure Pop doesn't. The "who's team is it" is a fan invention, to attach a star to a team concept. Remember in 2001 when the Patriots took the field without player introductions? They were the underdogs, the "no-star" team that won the Superbowl. THAT's what I'm talking about.

Can you take away a piece of the Spurs puzzle and still win? No. Take away Manu, Spurs will not win a Championship. Take away Tim, no Championship. So, how can it be Tim's or Manu's "team" if they can't win it by themselves?

You say yourself, "Manu has been slightly better" than Tim. So, if it's not all that clear who's team it is, should Manu and Tim split like Kobe and Shaq?

No. 1,000 times "No." When Robinson and Tim were together, did we say it was Robinson's team? Tim's team? No, it was the "Twin Towers". They worked together, in tandem, to lead the Spurs to 2 Championships.

The Spurs are blessed to have 3 viable stars: Tim, Manu and Tony. All will need to work together to win. No one can do it alone. They will lean on each other, and take over leadership roles as necessary.

In the end, Tim will be crowned MVP. (which I hate, by the way. The whole "MVP" concept is stupid - how can one player be "Most Valuable." It takes away from the whole team concept).

But Spurs fans will know, it's not just his team. At least, I hope they'll know...

kskonn
05-18-2005, 01:45 PM
I'm sure Manu and Tim don't think like that. I'm sure Pop doesn't. The "who's team is it" is a fan invention, to attach a star to a team concept. Remember in 2001 when the Patriots took the field without player introductions? They were the underdogs, the "no-star" team that won the Superbowl. THAT's what I'm talking about.

Can you take away a piece of the Spurs puzzle and still win? No. Take away Manu, Spurs will not win a Championship. Take away Tim, no Championship. So, how can it be Tim's or Manu's "team" if they can't win it by themselves?

You say yourself, "Manu has been slightly better" than Tim. So, if it's not all that clear who's team it is, should Manu and Tim split like Kobe and Shaq?

No. 1,000 times "No." When Robinson and Tim were together, did we say it was Robinson's team? Tim's team? No, it was the "Twin Towers". They worked together, in tandem, to lead the Spurs to 2 Championships.

The Spurs are blessed to have 3 viable stars: Tim, Manu and Tony. All will need to work together to win. No one can do it alone. They will lean on each other, and take over leadership roles as necessary.

In the end, Tim will be crowned MVP. (which I hate, by the way. The whole "MVP" concept is stupid - how can one player be "Most Valuable." It takes away from the whole team concept).

But Spurs fans will know, it's not just his team. At least, I hope they'll know...

Well Said.

boutons
05-18-2005, 01:46 PM
The thread title is fucking brain-dead concept due to the Spurs TEAM play.

Shelly
05-18-2005, 01:59 PM
I don't care who's team it is and why it matters, but I think some of you are forgetting that Manu has had plenty of shitty games also. Just like Tim has.

smeagol
05-18-2005, 02:02 PM
Brent Barry? :lol

SpursChampsIII
05-18-2005, 02:33 PM
The thread title is fucking brain-dead concept due to the Spurs TEAM play.

I didn't intend the thread title to go the way it went. I guess you only read thread titles and not the rest of it. Read any good book covers lately. Talk about brain-dead.

firepopovich
05-18-2005, 02:40 PM
how many times does ginobili have to save duncans ass for you guys to admit hes our best player? whats he have to do? score 70 points in off the bench?

beirmeistr
05-18-2005, 06:25 PM
Perhaps the title is too strongly worded. We all know that Tim Duncan is the cornerstone, the sine qua non of the Spurs. But when Ginobili is having one of those games, when he has that look, when he is in the zone, when he morphs into a weapon of mass destruction, it follows that he be the go-to guy in the end game (under those circumstances).
Manu is a perfect complement to Duncan. And on those special occasions when Tim, Manu, and Tony are clicking together, the Spurs are unbeatable.
Oh, and for the purists out there who still wonder whose team it is, if you take it to the highest level, they must be God's team.