PDA

View Full Version : explain this

spectator
08-10-2010, 11:51 PM
how come every pansy website that covers the nba and has a section for updated rankings, places the mavs ahead of the spurs - while claiming that the starting line-up for both teams is the same (from last year's PO) - this includes espn, yahoo sports, bleach/tide report, etc. by their logic, the mavs are better this year because they have improved their bench, since they are just fresh of a 4-2 butt whooping while having home court. their bench is about as good as ours imho. let's not forget that former NO / current cavs coach said that they traded for okafur because timmy would run amok when chandler was guarding him. (i think his actual words were smth like "have an off night") also, a lot of weight is placed on the development of bubois - lets remember how inconsistent he was last year in the PO, how inconsistent he was this summer in summer league and how poor this dude is on defense.

other than the fact that spurs never get the respect they deserve from the media, (it's better to kiss the butts of 6 mil ppl in dallas area than 2 mil ppl in san an) what other reason is there?

Leonard Curse
08-11-2010, 01:10 AM
maybe each year theyre hoping its "the one" the one year the spurs dont make the playoffs and are completely done! theres just no logic to picking the mavs after we just beat them and reloaded our team with an offensive and defensive 7fter with other weapons, not to mention our coaching is far superior to dallas's wait.. nvrmnd not by much these days, thanks to pops small ball and raptor arms playing a crap load of minutes. lets hope he gave up on small ball

gospursgojas
08-11-2010, 01:38 AM
I dont see the spurs missing the playoffs even when Tim retires.

ChuckD
08-11-2010, 06:45 AM
I dont see the spurs missing the playoffs even when Tim retires.

Put down the crack pipe.

benefactor
08-11-2010, 07:03 AM
They do it so fans can go on message boards and start butthurt topics about rankings that don't matter.

CubanMustGo
08-11-2010, 07:09 AM
They do it so fans can go on message boards and start butthurt topics about rankings that don't matter.
/thread

fyatuk
08-11-2010, 08:09 AM
Put down the crack pipe.

The Spurs have only missed the playoffs a handful of times since they joined the league. I wouldn't be surprised for them to stick around as a perpetual 7-8 seed.

BUT, I think they'll miss the playoffs once or twice while retooling.

Muser
08-11-2010, 08:44 AM
The Spurs have only missed the playoffs a handful of times since they joined the league. I wouldn't be surprised for them to stick around as a perpetual 7-8 seed.

BUT, I think they'll miss the playoffs once or twice while retooling.

That's because most of the years they've had a top 50 player of all time on the team.

guzmangm
08-11-2010, 09:10 AM
According to wikipedia the Spurs made the playoffs 29 out of 33 years in the NBA. I think as long as Spurs brass is in charge they will continue to make the right moves. Yes, Duncan will retire and so will Manu and Parker may leave and some day Pop will too, but I think it is more a testiment as to who the organization is run than the players that have come and gone... That helps too though. That being said I don't see a 6-10 year drought of being a bottom feeder in the NBA like some teams. They may not be contenders, but they'll probably be moderately successful throughout.

FromWayDowntown
08-11-2010, 09:45 AM

That would be about the worst thing the Spurs could do, assuming that their talent would even allow it to happen.

Unless you have the magnet market to draw a FA haul like Miami just did, the path to elite is paved with bad seasons and good work in the lottery -- and usually, hitting the jackpot at least once.

Sticking around for a long time as a 7-8 seed is the surest way to cement yourself as mediocre.

eisfeld
08-11-2010, 10:56 AM
That would be about the worst thing the Spurs could do, assuming that their talent would even allow it to happen.

Unless you have the magnet market to draw a FA haul like Miami just did, the path to elite is paved with bad seasons and good work in the lottery -- and usually, hitting the jackpot at least once.

Sticking around for a long time as a 7-8 seed is the surest way to cement yourself as mediocre.

Absolutely true... without Duncan and Manu they could still be a 7-8 seed (of course if they don't move Parker and keep Blair, Hill, Splitter). I think SA's biggest chance is to trade up in a future draft to get a very promising, high impact rookie.

My Fault
08-11-2010, 11:39 AM
Just because they put that, it doesn't make it true.