PDA

View Full Version : I met Coach Bob Hill, Rex Chapman etc. etc.

GrandeDavid
05-18-2005, 10:11 AM
This really has nothing remotely to do with our shared animation and joy at the Spurs' big win and upcoming tough potential series clincher on Thursday, but here goes a curveball to mix things up at this forum:

I read that former Spurs coach Bob Hill was in attendance for Game 5 as a guest of the Sonics. Coach Hill lives in San Antonio or nearby, that I know, because I met at the Kentucky-Michigan St. Regional Finals in March. I was actually in line with him to use the restroom. I'm 6´3" and he must be 6'6". Big man! Nobody seemed to recognize or at least acknowledge him. So remembering what my wise brother-in-law once told me about how retired athletes love to get some recognition to remember their glory days, I said to Mr. Hill, "Hey coach, how ya doin' this evening?" His reply was "Not bad, you?" He gave me a friendly yet surprised look. A look of "my goodness, somebody in South Texas is treating me with some respect".

We chatted a little bit but I refrained from inquiring as to why in the hell a former NBA coach of a deep playoff team cannot so much as get an interview with a mid-level NCAA Division I team. I also decided not to ask him if Dennis Rodman is still on his Christmas card list. I decided to let those go. .

He was a pretty nice man, but not the warmest athlete or coach I've met. I could certainly tell that he appreciated being remembered kindly. He's definitely no Danny Ferry in terms of my Spurs acquaintances, but then again Danny Ferry is pure class and intelligence. I recently asked Danny if he ever mixes it up at practice with the guys and he said "no, somebody would probably get hurt...and it likely would not be me." :lol

Also at that Regional Finals game and the Sweet 16 I sat almost directly behind Rex Chapman. Very devoted Big Blue guy and extremely down to earth. He was very friendly and I let him know I was a big Spurs guy. He told me he expected San Antonio to give Phoenix all they could handle in the playoffs. Fun guy to talk with and actually he initiated lots of the conversation. I think he found it interesting I lived in Brazil. I told him about my good buddy and #1 Brazilian baller, Valtinho. My only criticism of Rex Chapman is that he ate some nachos with extra cheeze, hence contributing to his newborn boiler. He also had his t-shirt tucked in. Old school.

For those of you who never had the pleasure of watching Rex Chapman play college ball, you missed one of the smoothest and most explosive ballers. He was a mix of Manu Ginobili and Ray Allen. A great shooter, great finisher, super athlete. Its a shame he went to Charlotte in the draft and never had a chance to play with a rock foundation like David Robinson.

Also, at the UCONN- Georgia Tech NCAA Finals in 2004 I sat two seats behind Coach Jim Boeheim and enjoyed meeting him. I was also invited to a VIP pre-party and had a blast meeting Tubby Smith, Denny Crum, Bob Huggins (coach of my alma mater) and some other big wig coaches. Huggins is a trip!

GrandeDavid
05-18-2005, 10:27 AM
I also had the pleasure of meeting Kenny "Sky" Walker. Any of you 1980s old schoolers remember him?

cherylsteele
05-18-2005, 11:06 AM
I also had the pleasure of meeting Kenny "Sky" Walker. Any of you 1980s old schoolers remember him?

I do (raising my hand)

He played for the Knicks and Bullets....had some knee problems

Won the slam dunk contest

winstonchillifoot
05-18-2005, 11:13 AM
I do (raising my hand)

He played for the Knicks and Bullets....had some knee problems

Won the slam dunk contest

Man I'm old, I have a VHS tape of his slam dunk contest hosted by Marv Albert in his pre-perv days.....

cherylsteele
05-18-2005, 11:13 AM
Man I'm old, I have a VHS tape of his slam dunk contest hosted by Marv Albert in his pre-perv days.....

I am older probably :p

T Park
05-18-2005, 11:16 AM
had the high flattop gold chain flying as he dunked.

Ive been lookin for his throwback, Ive been a fan of his for a while.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-18-2005, 12:27 PM
A guest of the Sonics? :lol The guy scouts the south central US for Seattle, I talked shop with him after about four different A&M games this year.

BadlyDrawnBoy
05-18-2005, 12:40 PM
A guest of the Sonics? :lol The guy scouts the south central US for Seattle, I talked shop with him after about four different A&M games this year.

Not any more. He works with a local SA sports agency and helps train their players come draft.

He helped Kirk Snyder last summer.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-18-2005, 12:48 PM
Don't be fooled by the training gig. He's still on Seattle's pay roll as of about a month ago.

BadlyDrawnBoy
05-18-2005, 12:49 PM
Well, Seattle should ask for their money back.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-18-2005, 01:05 PM
He's not scouting NBA games. He's scouting college players.

BadlyDrawnBoy
05-18-2005, 01:08 PM
And Seattle should still ask for their money back.

GrandeDavid
05-18-2005, 01:26 PM
How about Rex? Any of you guys remember what a freaking stud he was back at Kentucky before they went on probation...here's a tidbit. Shawn Kemp backed out on UK and went straight to the pros because UK was doomed to probation and because he got busted stealing one of Sir Rex's gold chains. Damn!

SouthernFried
05-18-2005, 01:34 PM
I'll never forget how Pop treated Bob Hill. The very day Robinson comes back from an injury, he fires Hill, and takes over himself. What a f***ing pussy.

Pop has done well with the team...but, that was just bullshit. Hill was doing good with a sans-Robinson, pre-Dunkin team. He should have been given the chance to show what he coulda done with the superstar back.

Kudo's for Pop doing as well as he has with the Spurs...but, he's one guy I will never like.

I'm sure that will keep him awake at nights... :rolleyes

Oh, and here's one for the bragging books. I played a basketball game where I was the only non-spur playing. George Gervin, Mike Mitchell, Artis Gilmore and others were playing, and I had to guard Johnny Dawkins. I even Blocked one of Dawkins shots.

Glory days...

AlamoSpursFan
05-18-2005, 01:40 PM

Marv Albert hosted a slam dunk contest when he was 6?

:lol