PDA

View Full Version : Perseid meteor shower tonight

JoeChalupa
08-12-2010, 11:36 AM
Anyone else going to check this out? I'm a space nut and we'll be watching if for awhile. Should be pretty cool if you are into this kind of stuff.

Chomag
08-12-2010, 11:38 AM
Thansk for the heads up friend! I would love to check it out tonight as well I hope its not going to be cloudy tonight :toast

MannyIsGod
08-12-2010, 11:39 AM
If you c heck it out form Inside the city you're not going to see shit.

benefactor
08-12-2010, 12:02 PM
When is the peak times? Or will it be going on most of the night?

Chomag
08-12-2010, 12:07 PM
If you c heck it out form Inside the city you're not going to see shit.

I'm in north san antonio a couple of miles outside loop 1604. Allthough even so evey year I am seeing less and less stars. I'm very much hoping they will be bright enough. *crosses fingers*

Viva Las Espuelas
08-12-2010, 12:09 PM
Anyone else going to check this out? I'm a space nut and we'll be watching if for awhile. Should be pretty cool if you are into this kind of stuff.

I'm not sure if you own an iPhone/itouch. If you do, you must get the Pocket Universe App. It's for the astronomer in you. I recommend it to anyone. $9.99 though but worth every penny.

Cry Havoc
08-12-2010, 12:29 PM

I have a rather large telescope, so I'll definitely be out tonight waiting.

MannyIsGod
08-12-2010, 01:22 PM
I'm in north san antonio a couple of miles outside loop 1604. Allthough even so evey year I am seeing less and less stars. I'm v
ery much hoping they will be bright enough. *crosses fingers*

You may see a few per hour but thats about it. Most of them will be far too faint to make it through that light pollution. Best bet is west of the city - even by 30 or so miles.

MannyIsGod
08-12-2010, 01:22 PM

Telescopes and Binoculars are completely useless for meteor showers.

4>0rings
08-12-2010, 02:22 PM
Jump on your roof with your mate and watch some shooting stars!

phyzik
08-12-2010, 04:25 PM
Im thinking about headed out towards Bandera,Tx and parking up top one of those hills to check this out.

thispego
08-12-2010, 05:40 PM

What are you compensating for?

rascal
08-12-2010, 05:57 PM
If your expecting to see many shooting stars, forget about it. If you like staring up in the sky with nothing happening that will be what will happen for the most part.

easjer
08-12-2010, 07:26 PM
I very much doubt I'm going to see anything in Houston. I will be outside for awhile tonight though.

MannyIsGod
08-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Can you even see bright stars in Houston? You have about the same chance of seeing a shooting star on any given night as you do tonight because you're only going to see the brightest of them and those are rare even in meteor showers.

I'd honestly say if you want to see some you need to drive out of the country. No way in hell I'd bother with it in Houston and be out in the muggy grossness that is a summer night in your city.

easjer
08-12-2010, 07:43 PM
Oh, I'm going out for a run, not the meteor shower. :lol

We do see some of the bright stars at our place. But not many.

And it's still cloudy. . . and yes, muggy as fuck today.

Dr. Gonzo
08-12-2010, 08:19 PM
If your expecting to see many shooting stars, forget about it. If you like staring up in the sky with nothing happening that will be what will happen for the most part.

You are incorrect. There should be about 100 meteors per hour tonight.

JudynTX
08-12-2010, 08:21 PM
This is about as close as you're gonna get to seeing it.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/marshall-space-flight-center

Cry Havoc
08-12-2010, 09:03 PM
Telescopes and Binoculars are completely useless for meteor showers.

I'm aware, I was just attempting to indicate my interest in astronomy. :lol

thispego
08-12-2010, 10:33 PM
Where are these fuckin meteors?

TDMVPDPOY
08-12-2010, 10:37 PM
any pictures or what?

Heath Ledger
08-13-2010, 10:33 AM
I drove about 30 miles north of Vegas on 95 last night with my Fiance. It was spectacular. You could see a great view of the Milky Way and the Big Dipper was the biggest Ive ever seen it right in front of us just above the horizon.

We probably saw 100 or so in the hour and a half we watched.

JoeChalupa
08-13-2010, 11:06 AM
I drove about 30 miles north of Vegas on 95 last night with my Fiance. It was spectacular. You could see a great view of the Milky Way and the Big Dipper was the biggest Ive ever seen it right in front of us just above the horizon.

:tu We saw quite a few in the hour we were out. I know you had a much better view though.

Chomag
08-13-2010, 11:44 AM
I got to see about 18 of them last night. One was super bright, and slow moving. It had a very long tail and travled almost the whole sky before burning out. I'm guessing it either a big one or the trajectory made it look that way.

In any case it was all so very awesome to see.

rascal
08-14-2010, 10:36 PM
I went out about 4 years ago to see what I could see during this annual meteor shower and saw about 3 in an hour and a half. I don't see many people in here posting that they saw many. In the country in Nevada I am sure you would be able to see many more than where most people live.

rascal
08-14-2010, 10:38 PM

Did you notice Mars in the southwestern sky?