PDA

View Full Version : brett brown still on staff?

xcoriate
08-12-2010, 08:49 PM
Blazers’ guard Mills on Australia team for worlds

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AhXqj2wjU3rslMiHVPLyaUy8vLYF?slug=ap-worlds-australiateam

SYDNEY (AP)—Portland Trail Blazers guard Patrick Mills(notes), a former St. Mary’s U.S. collegiate star, was among 12 players chosen Friday to play for Australia at the world basketball championships in Turkey.

Mills was signed by Portland last year after being picked in the second round of the NBA draft and 55th overall. David Andersen(notes), who was traded to the Toronto Raptors from the Houston Rockets on July 28, was also included.

Andrew Bogut(notes) of the Milwaukee Bucks and Nathan Jawai(notes) of the Charlotte Bobcats had already said they would not be available for Australia at the Aug. 28-Sept. 12 world titles. Veteran point guard C.J. Bruton, 34, also withdrew last month from the team.

Brad Newley(notes), a former Rockets’ draft pick who played for Australia four years ago in Japan, was also among the players named by Basketball Australia.

The squad contains seven European-based players—Newley, Joe Ingles, Matthew Nielsen, David Barlow, Mark Worthington, Aron Baynes and Steven Markovic. Adam Gibson of Gold Coast and Damian Martin of Perth were the only players from Australia’s National Basketball League included.

Australia will be led by former San Antonio Spurs assistant coach Brett Brown, who replaced Brian Goorjian as head coach last year.

“I believe that we have a well-balanced team, with the right people put into the right positions,” Brown said in a statement.

Australia will be in Group A and open its tournament against Jordan on Aug. 28 followed by games with Argentina, Germany, Serbia and Angola in the preliminary round at the Turkish city of Kayseri.

In 2006 in Japan, Australia advanced out of its group before losing to the United States in the quarterfinals.

Australia: David Andersen, David Barlow, Aron Baynes, Adam Gibson, Joe Ingles, Steven Markovic, Aleks Maric, Damian Martin, Patrick Mills, Brad Newley, Matthew Nielsen, Mark Worthington.

xcoriate
08-12-2010, 08:50 PM
Probably an error on the AP's part but wondered if anyone had anything to support it?

DesignatedT
08-12-2010, 09:25 PM
He coaches both teams.

MI21
08-12-2010, 09:57 PM
Australia: David Andersen, David Barlow, Aron Baynes, Adam Gibson, Joe Ingles, Steven Markovic, Aleks Maric, Damian Martin, Patrick Mills, Brad Newley, Matthew Nielsen, Mark Worthington.

:lol

hsxvvd
08-12-2010, 10:00 PM
Correction:

:lol

TDMVPDPOY
08-12-2010, 10:24 PM
a bunch of scrubs

pmills if he wants to stay in the nba, better ask for a trade to a team where he can get minutes

Solid D
08-13-2010, 08:27 AM
He coaches both teams.

This.

Brown will be the head coach of the Boomers through the 2012 Olympics in London.

DieMrBond
08-13-2010, 09:45 AM
If I remember correctly, Coach Pop was even wearing a team australia shirt or hat in a recent interview at the summer league games?

I think I also heard him say he was happy for him to be coaching them, and wished him well? Could be mistaken on that last part though. But as Solid said, still on the coaching staff for the Spurs.

cantthinkofanything
08-13-2010, 09:49 AM
Does anyone know what Brown's position on long socks is?
Wonder if the George Hill decision has anything to do with the unsurety.

xcoriate
08-14-2010, 09:10 AM
Good good - the use of the term "former assistant coach" was a little alarming :)

hsxvvd
08-14-2010, 05:30 PM
The biggest problem with the National team is that they've been selecting on 'potential' for 10yrs. Trying to give young players international experience (exposure) and when they finally reach that potential, they're replaced with another inexperienced hack.

I don't know if it's a selection issue, or that established players don't want to play for the Boomers anymore, but the only veterans that seem to make the team are the desperately sad Matt Neilsen's of the world, holding on to the pipe dream of one day playing NBA.

bigdog
08-15-2010, 01:06 AM
I remember RC commenting in a video, and he said Jacque joined the staff. Now, I know he was an assistant on the SL team, but does anyone if maybe he's been hired as an assistant on the actual Spurs team?