PDA

View Full Version : Denver to Cavs: Lay off our GM

alamo50
05-18-2005, 11:09 AM
Sources say the Nuggets will not allow the Cavaliers to interview Vandeweghe for their opening

By Marc J. Spears
Denver Post Staff Writer

The Cleveland Cavaliers requested permission to interview Kiki Vandeweghe for their vacant general manager position, but the Nuggets will not grant it, according to several sources.

Vandeweghe's agent, Warren LeGarie, confirmed Tuesday that Cleveland attempted to get permission last week from Nuggets owner Stan Kroenke. The fourth-year Nuggets GM is under contract through the 2005-06 season.

"It's a very interesting situation," Legarie said Tuesday before it became apparent the Nuggets would not allow Vandeweghe to talk with Cleveland. "All this was controlled by what Stan is willing or not willing to do."

Kroenke did not return a phone message. Kroenke Sports Enterprises senior vice president Paul Andrews said he spoke to the owner Tuesday.

"Stan Kroenke noted that Kiki Vandeweghe is under contract," he said.

According to a source, Vandeweghe made $800,000 in base salary with incentives pushing him to more than $1 million this season. That would put him among the NBA's lower-paid GMs.

Legarie would like to meet with Kroenke about Vandeweghe's contract, but nothing is set up. The Toronto Raptors and Portland Trail Blazers considered the idea of going after Vandeweghe for their GM openings in recent years.

The Cavaliers have been in search of a GM since firing Jim Paxson on April 21 and also are looking for a head coach. Cavaliers owners Dan Gilbert and David Katzman interviewed Nuggets assistant general manager Jeff Weltman for the opening May 10 in Detroit. Cavaliers vice president of communications Tad Carper would not confirm the franchise had asked Kroenke for permission to speak to Vandeweghe.

"We are continuing the process of exploring highly successful candidates for our GM and head coach openings and are very encouraged from the dialogue we have had thus far," Carper said in a statement. "We also understand and appreciate how interested fans and the media are in the content and status of the person-by-person discussions involved in this process.

"However, we feel it is best to not comment further on the status of these discussions until the process is further along."

Vandeweghe was hired by Kroenke on Aug. 9, 2001, after a stint as the Dallas Mavericks' director of player development.

During his tenure, Vandeweghe has drafted Carmelo Anthony, traded for Marcus Camby, Kenyon Martin and Nene, signed free agents Andre Miller and Earl Boykins and re-signed Camby. Vandeweghe saved the franchise more than $100 million in contracts after a multiplayer trade to Dallas in 2002. Nuggets coach George Karl, hired Jan. 27, has praised Vandeweghe for acquiring veteran forwards Eduardo Najera and Wesley Person in the second half of this season.

After missing the playoffs nine consecutive seasons, the Nuggets reached the postseason the past two seasons. Vandeweghe has taken heat for drafting project forward Nikoloz Tskitishvili with the fifth pick of the 2002 draft before trading the seldom-used player to Golden State in February.

"I love it here in Denver," said Vandeweghe, who declined to go into detail about Cleveland's interest. "(My family has) had a great time here. Still, I think I have work to do. I'm excited about being in Denver. I was excited when I got here. I'm still excited."

Staff writer Marc J. Spears can be reached at 303-820-5449 or [email protected].