PDA

View Full Version : Scott Pilgrim vs The World

J.T.
08-13-2010, 02:41 AM
Just got back from the midnight showing and it fuckin blew my mind. It was like a comic book, video game and movie all rolled into one and it was consistently funny with hardly any dull parts. If you've been playing video games your whole life you'll probably love it. Quality film though :tu

:cry great fuckin movie

thispego
08-13-2010, 03:21 AM
bullshit

J.T.
08-13-2010, 03:30 AM
I guess you won't know until you take that stick out of your ass and go see it but all I'm saying is if you know your old school Nintendo and Sega stuff, you're gonna like this movie.

Ignignokt
08-13-2010, 03:34 AM
That movie is going to suck.

But JT, i will be open minded and give it a shot.. when it comes out on RedBox! Crofl!

J.T.
08-13-2010, 03:41 AM
On the real I would pay full price for the Blu-Ray right now. Sounds like your inner child is dead scrah.

badfish22
08-13-2010, 04:07 AM
how high were you tbh

J.T.
08-13-2010, 04:08 AM
sober tbh

Dr. Gonzo
08-13-2010, 08:19 AM
It reminds of me Viewtiful Joe. I want to check this out but I'm saving my weekend movie cash for Everything is Terrible 2: Toyko Drift. They are showing at the Drafthouse on Sunday.

balli
08-13-2010, 10:52 AM
Another movie where Michael Cera plays guitar while wearing sweatbands on his wrists and a pair of skinny jeans? I'll pass.

FWIW, my newspaper gave it 4 stars. I'll still pass.

JamStone
08-13-2010, 10:57 AM
A movie I might have seen like 15 years ago.

But I'm 35 years old now. So no.

JoeChalupa
08-13-2010, 11:02 AM
It reminds of me Viewtiful Joe. I want to check this out but I'm saving my weekend movie cash for Everything is Terrible 2: Toyko Drift. They are showing at the Drafthouse on Sunday.

:lol Yeah, I'll wait for the dvd.

Xolotl
08-13-2010, 03:49 PM
I went to the showing last night also yeah it was badass

LnGrrrR
08-13-2010, 05:42 PM
My friend compared it to a real life River City Ransom. I wasn't a big fan of the manga, but the movie shows promise. I might see it when I get a chance. Finally saw Kick-Ass last night.... pretty good.

jack sommerset
08-13-2010, 06:36 PM
My friend compared it to a real life River City Ransom. I wasn't a big fan of the manga, but the movie shows promise. I might see it when I get a chance. Finally saw Kick-Ass last night.... pretty good.

Kick-Ass was great. This movies sucked.

jack sommerset
08-13-2010, 06:36 PM
A movie I might have seen like 15 years ago.

But I'm 35 years old now. So no.

This

J.T.
08-13-2010, 09:00 PM
brahs yalls inner child is dead

Spursfan092120
08-13-2010, 09:12 PM
brahs yalls inner child is dead
My inner child is alive and well. Nintendo? Sega? Shit, I'm down.

4>0rings
08-13-2010, 09:16 PM
Why do the previews suck so bad?

J.T.
08-13-2010, 09:17 PM
because you're an abortion
next question

Dr. Gonzo
08-13-2010, 10:41 PM
Ha that was great. Abortion.

Mister Sinister
08-14-2010, 12:20 AM
Only reason I would've considered seeing it was for the trailers. The presence of Chris Evans in this film might have given me hope for a Cap/Avengers trailer. But, heard there wasn't, so, no dice.

J.T.
08-14-2010, 02:51 AM
Only reason I would've considered seeing it was for the trailers. The presence of Chris Evans in this film might have given me hope for a Cap/Avengers trailer. But, heard there wasn't, so, no dice.

lol chris evans character in this movie was fuckin swole. so was brandon rouths. quality casting.

John Terry
08-14-2010, 02:55 AM
Kick-Ass was great. This movies sucked.

I think some shcooling would have helped u better understand the movies.

Mark in Austin
08-14-2010, 02:52 PM
Another movie where Michael Cera plays guitar while wearing sweatbands on his wrists and a pair of skinny jeans? I'll pass.

FWIW, my newspaper gave it 4 stars. I'll still pass.

my first reaction too. I've already seen this movie - it was called "Nick and Norah's Superbad Juno Revolt" I think.

Stringer_Bell
08-14-2010, 03:44 PM

I had never heard of that movie until today, but EiT looks genius...

2S5lcF434cw

DJ Mbenga
08-14-2010, 03:46 PM
love me some mary elizabeth winstead, but im already tired of cera and his shitck

CuckingFunt
08-14-2010, 05:06 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed this one.

Michael Cera is still Michael Cera, so if you really can't stand him for whatever reason that's unlikely to change. But you'd be missing a fun and clever movie for a pretty dumb reason.

v2freak
08-14-2010, 06:30 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed this one.

Michael Cera is still Michael Cera, so if you really can't stand him for whatever reason that's unlikely to change. But you'd be missing a fun and clever movie for a pretty dumb reason.

I don't like him. And I can't really say the previews help his cause out either. Add it to the annoying and growing trend of previews that don't show what movies are about.

CuckingFunt
08-14-2010, 06:45 PM
I don't like him. And I can't really say the previews help his cause out either. Add it to the annoying and growing trend of previews that don't show what movies are about.

I thought the previews for this one made the plot pretty clear.

IronMexican
08-14-2010, 06:46 PM
I like that Ann(who?) is in this movie. I'll pirate it once a good quality version is out there.

balli
08-14-2010, 06:53 PM
In addition to not liking Micahel Cera, I have a much harder time with the whole regular guy/superhero theme than I do the superhero theme. I can suspend disbelief enough to enjoy the story of a rich kid turning into a ninja and dressing up like a bat. I can suspend disbelief enough to enjoy the idea of an alien life form obtaining superpowers from our yellow sun.

But I refuse to suspend disbelief enough to enjoy the idea that a skinny, dorky, hipster, wanna-be indie rock star learns to shoot fire out of his hands and beat the hell out of people because he played some mario bros. and read a comic book.

Ignignokt
08-14-2010, 06:54 PM
Um.. I can find better entertainment than Scott Pilgrim vs his manhood.

Ignignokt
08-14-2010, 06:55 PM
In addition to not liking Micahel Cera, I have a much harder time with the whole regular guy/superhero theme than I do the superhero theme. I can suspend disbelief enough to enjoy the story of a rich kid turning into a ninja and dressing up like a bat. I can suspend disbelief enough to enjoy the idea of an alien life form obtaining superpowers from our yellow sun.

But I refuse to suspend disbelief enough to enjoy the idea that a skinny, dorky, hipster, wanna-be indie rock star learns to shoot fire out of his hands and beat the hell out of people because he played some mario bros. and read a comic book.

:tu

balli
08-14-2010, 11:51 PM
Michael Cera is still Michael Cera, so if you really can't stand him for whatever reason that's unlikely to change.

I liked Michael Cera a lot more when he took on roles where his lame hipsterness wasn't construed as a positive.

Plus, Jessie Eisenberg, (the kid from Zombieland) is a far better actor, who accomplishes the same goal. He out Michael Cera's, Micahel Cera.

BlackSwordsMan
08-15-2010, 12:07 AM
a movie where micheal cera plays a dorky idiot
he really does branch out our generations brando

bigzak25
08-15-2010, 12:48 AM

there are many dorky hipster wanna be rock stars on this website that shoot fire from their hands on the regular thinking they can beat the hell out of people. but you are right, as there is no enjoyment in watching that movie here either.

mFFL03
08-15-2010, 12:59 AM
Haven't seen it yet, but I was sold on the fact it comes from Edgar Wright....co-writer/director of Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz.

v2freak
08-15-2010, 02:07 AM
a movie where micheal cera plays a dorky idiot
he really does branch out our generations brando

:lol Agreed

Trainwreck2100
08-15-2010, 02:28 AM
Sons this movie looks like a schroomed up sequel to nick and nora's infinite playlist. Also lol those idiots releasing it the same weekend as the expendables. They lost like 88% of their target audience.

Zombie.
08-15-2010, 04:44 AM
:tu

:sleep :sleep :sleep

CuckingFunt
08-15-2010, 10:58 AM
Also lol those idiots releasing it the same weekend as the expendables. They lost like 88% of their target audience.

I saw them both yesterday. Even paid for them both.

But... I'm not either film's target audience, so you may still have a point.

hehateme
08-15-2010, 11:10 AM
Cera was only good in Arrested Development..and even then he was the worst actor of the whole cast...

monosylab1k
08-16-2010, 02:43 AM
I'm really burnt out on Michael Cera as well, but this movie is pretty funny in spite of him. And everyone thinking this is Nick And Nora 2 is wayyyyyyy fucking off.

and I'd fuck Mary Elizabeth Winstead six ways to sunday.

tbh I'd still rather have rented the movie than seen it in theaters. Michael Cera is Michael Cera after all, and this movie is way too overloaded with comic book/video game gimmicks. It's probably the most ADD movie I've ever seen, Edgar Wright makes Tony Scott look like Terrance Malick in comparison. Even so, it's still pretty damn funny.

LnGrrrR
08-16-2010, 02:51 AM
I'd like to note that the reason the movie uses the video game gimmicks is because it's based off the comic book, which used those same gimmicks.

monosylab1k
08-16-2010, 02:51 AM
Jessie Eisenberg

vomit

he was good in exactly one movie, The Squid And The Whale.

monosylab1k
08-16-2010, 02:53 AM
I'd like to note that the reason the movie uses the video game gimmicks is because it's based off the comic book, which used those same gimmicks.

Even so, it still went way overboard with it. I enjoyed the gimmicks for about half of the movie, after that it got really old. There didn't need to be 18 different sound effects and little "booms" and "thwacks" on the screen for every scene in the entire fucking movie.

rolled up $20
08-18-2010, 12:59 PM
It was okay but nothing to rave about.

Stringer_Bell
08-19-2010, 11:34 PM
tbh I'd still rather have rented the movie than seen it in theaters.

It's definately worth a view in theatres, and from a technical standpoint it's fucking amazing. I saw it today, after having low expectations from the trailers but hearing good things from people. All the cool shit in the movie wasn't spoiled for me and I had a good time and was hoping it'd be longer. Mary Elizabeth Winstead is sooooooo hot, the music is great, and Cera didn't get on my nerves. I hated the director's other movies, but he did an awesome job here and it never felt too jumpy or random to me.

If you're into videogames, anime, mangas, comic books, good soundtracks, and/or Mary Elizabeth Winstead...see it in theatres.

Death In June
08-21-2010, 06:05 PM
I liked it a lot, but I have a love for the source material (the games, not the comics). I dug the fight scenes, thought they were really well done. It reminded me of the anime FLCL in its editing and direction.

redzero
08-21-2010, 06:19 PM
I just saw it and I thought is was good. It almost felt like I was watching a comic book come to life. Since I already read the first four volumes of the comic, I was expecting some things that didn't happen, but it's only natural that a film adaptation leaves things out.

Dr. Gonzo
08-21-2010, 09:49 PM
This was a kick ass movie. I enjoyed it a lot.

DPG21920
09-04-2010, 10:26 PM
Just saw it and it was one of the best movies I have seen in a while.

J.T.
09-08-2010, 03:07 AM
bought the video game today and its pretty legit too :tu

Nathan Explosion
09-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Since I don't get to go to the movies, I watched a pretty bad version online. I must say I'm definitely watching it again on DVD because it was better than I thought it would be.

oh crap
11-30-2010, 05:23 PM
meh. finally watched it online last night and was underwhelmed. kind of cool but just ok overall.

DJ Mbenga
11-30-2010, 05:43 PM
i just like mary elizabeth winstead. other than that the movie= bleh. cera is a piece of shit

Fpoonsie
11-30-2010, 05:46 PM
Still like Cera, so I enjoyed this one.

Will admit that this was the first time Cera's act started to get a LITTLE tiresome.

Have a mad crush on Knives, though.

The Gemini Method
11-30-2010, 05:48 PM
I watched that and Kick-Ass over the weekend and both were entertaining, but Kick-Ass was the better movie. Also Fonseca >>> Winstead, tbh.

oh crap
11-30-2010, 06:09 PM
Kick-Ass was the better movie. .

by far

DarkReign
11-30-2010, 08:01 PM
I had a lot of preconceptions about Kick-Ass...until I watched it on a whim and came away feeling like a pretentious moron for ignoring it as long as I did.

I'll check this out so as not to repeat that mistake.

Cant_Be_Faded
12-01-2010, 12:04 AM
This movie was pretty cool too.

I think people mixed it up with kick ass cuz of the weird-haired chicks in both movies.

Gotta admit I wasn't prepared for this movie, had no idea what it was about and can see how someone can walk away thinking it was a giant piece of shit. I dug it though.

IronMexican
12-01-2010, 12:22 AM
Was good movie. Just dragged on too much.

The Gemini Method
12-01-2010, 04:33 AM
Though I'd stab Knives repeatedly with my machete if given the chance...

EmoHipstercan
12-01-2010, 05:12 AM
An absolutely fantastic film!

Michael Cera continues to show why he is such an amazing actor.
Wes Anderson needs to put Cera in one of his films! I salivate at the thought of those two working together, if it ever comes to fruition I will die a happy man.

Cant_Be_Faded
12-01-2010, 10:25 PM
Was good movie. Just dragged on too much.

This is true. After the third bad ass fight, I was like "So this movie has gone on 1 hour 30 minutes and he still has to fight four more exes?"

Nathan Explosion
12-01-2010, 11:20 PM
This is true. After the third bad ass fight, I was like "So this movie has gone on 1 hour 30 minutes and he still has to fight four more exes?"

Yeah. But my favorite fight was the battle of the bands amp vs amp fight with the twins. It wasn't even really a fight, but I liked who it was done, and how the two bands mixed together.

Cant_Be_Faded
12-01-2010, 11:57 PM
ROFL that was the twist that kept me staying interested

The asians were electronic DJ's (NAAAAATURALLY) and Scott had to use the power of Rock to fight back their asian electronic music
I laughed my ass off.

Fpoonsie
12-02-2010, 02:40 AM
An absolutely fantastic film!

Michael Cera continues to show why he is such an amazing actor.
Wes Anderson needs to put Cera in one of his films! I salivate at the thought of those two working together, if it ever comes to fruition I will die a happy man.

My favorite new troll.

Nathan Explosion
12-02-2010, 12:03 PM
ROFL that was the twist that kept me staying interested

The asians were electronic DJ's (NAAAAATURALLY) and Scott had to use the power of Rock to fight back their asian electronic music
I laughed my ass off.

Damn straight. Kind of reminded me of the scene in the Rocker where Rainn Wilson chastises the kid who was using an electronic drum beat claiming that synths had no place in rock music.

But I like it stylistically, not necessarily what it represented.

The vegan powers thing was stupid, but in a slightly amusing way.