PDA

View Full Version : why do people drive with their windows down and their music playing loudly?

ALWAYS bet on BLACK
08-13-2010, 07:29 AM
What is the point of that? I just do not get the appeal.

JoeChalupa
08-13-2010, 07:55 AM
Because they don't have the A/C on and they want to rock out? I do that all the time but I do turn it down some when I'm at stop light but it doesn't bother me if someone else is doing the same thing. The appeal to me is that I like to listen to my tunes and enjoy the breeze.

EmptyMan
08-13-2010, 09:13 AM
http://iruntheinternet.com/lulzdump/images/s-it-feels-good-man-dog-window-1273930839c.jpg

Ignignokt
08-13-2010, 10:43 AM
Because they don't have the A/C on and they want to rock out? I do that all the time but I do turn it down some when I'm at stop light but it doesn't bother me if someone else is doing the same thing. The appeal to me is that I like to listen to my tunes and enjoy the breeze.

:sleep:sleep:sleep:sleep:sleep:sleep

Chomag
08-13-2010, 11:48 AM
I don't do this as much as I used to but just as Joechalupa said I would always be respectful to others and turn it down at a stop light, or traveling in a neighborhood.

Honestly it's hard to explain exactly why I like it, it just feels good to do sometimes. :lol

balli
08-13-2010, 11:57 AM
Whenever some douche in a rice rocket pulls up next to me blasting Eminem or Rihanna or whatever it is the kids listen to these days, I roll down all my windows and turn up NPR as loud as I can.

I think blasting your music solely to show off what you're listening to is about as lame a thing as a person can do. I don't even mind loud music, but the minute you roll down your passenger windows to show it off, you become a grade A asshole and a loser.

Will Hunting
08-13-2010, 11:58 AM
Especially when it's that shitty Eminem Rhianna song.

I liked eminem's new CD but since the only song on it the radio plays is that Rhianna shit I've lost all respect for eminem.

Cry Havoc
08-13-2010, 12:00 PM
First of all, this troll really sucks.

I don't do this as much as I used to but just as Joechalupa said I would always be respectful to others and turn it down at a stop light, or traveling in a neighborhood.

Honestly it's hard to explain exactly why I like it, it just feels good to do sometimes. :lol

Louder music does indeed sound better to your ears. It has to do with the way your hearing perceives music. Specifically, the sound signature (or equalization) of the sounds that you hear. At lower levels, mids and high-mids are very audible, but they are not usually as distinct or detailed. But the lows and higher highs are almost completely imperceptible. This is one reason the "smile EQ" is so popular, as it boosts the lows and the highest of highs to more pronounced levels, while keeping the mids where they are, or even lowering them.

The best stereos are known as "flat" or "neutral", because they remove exaggerated effects from the sound, giving you a more pristine volume at each frequency. But some people do not like a neutral sound signature, as they prefer warmth or "coloration" to their music which is perceived by some as more pleasant or fun to listen to.

I believe there is also a very instinctual reaction to large amounts of bass. That kind of vibration level is somehow linked, IMO, to the perception of power in the brain. Much like a large V-8 that rumbles and roars when it's revved, a large amount of bass makes the person listening to it feel either A) more powerful or B) in awe of that power.

Whenever some douche in a rice rocket pulls up next to me blasting Eminem or Rihanna or whatever it is the kids listen to these days, I roll down all my windows and turn up NPR as loud as I can.

I think blasting your music solely to show off what you're listening to is about as lame a thing as a person can do. I don't even mind loud music, but the minute you roll down your passenger windows to show it off, you become a grade A asshole and a loser.

You seem to be pissed off by a lot of things. What if someone really doesn't care about showing off, they just want to listen to their music at a very loud volume? I agree it's inconsiderate, but I don't necessarily think everyone who's blasting music is doing it to showboat.

PM5K
08-13-2010, 12:00 PM
What is the point of that? I just do not get the appeal.

Why do you always sit at the back of the bus?

I don't get the appeal either.

balli
08-13-2010, 12:03 PM
Louder music does indeed sound better to your ears. It has to do with the way your hearing perceives music. Specifically, the sound signature (or equalization) of the sounds that you hear. At lower levels, mids and high-mids are very audible, but they are not usually as distinct or detailed. But the lows and higher highs are almost completely imperceptible. This is one reason the "smile EQ" is so popular, as it boosts the lows and the highest of highs to more pronounced levels, while keeping the mids where they are, or even lowering them.

The best stereos are known as "flat" or "neutral", because they remove exaggerated effects from the sound, giving you a more pristine volume at each frequency. But some people do not like a neutral sound signature, as they prefer warmth or "coloration" to their music which is perceived by some as more pleasant or fun to listen to.

Anybody who's that into audiophilia, when they're driving to checker auto part to buy some new leds for their 2001 civic, isn't anybody at all.

Cane
08-13-2010, 12:06 PM
Just steal their radio after they park :downspin:

Cry Havoc
08-13-2010, 12:07 PM
Anybody who's that into audiophilia, when they're driving to checker auto part to buy some new leds for their 2001 civic, isn't anybody at all.

Meh, I have a friend who has a fantastic audio system in his old Malibu. It's not the loudest or the most bass (a single 12"), but it is extremely balanced and sounds amazing no matter what he's putting through his speakers.

Creepn
08-13-2010, 12:12 PM
The bass sounds better when the windows are rolled down than when they are up. That's the sole reason why I do it. Since I live in white dominated uptown, I turn down my radio at certain stops i.e. if I see a group of white people heh.

I'm not gonna try to enforce stereotypes that they may already have and ruin it for other black folks.

Chomag
08-13-2010, 12:13 PM

I believe there is also a very instinctual reaction to large amounts of bass. That kind of vibration level is somehow linked, IMO, to the perception of power in the brain. Much like a large V-8 that rumbles and roars when it's revved, a large amount of bass makes the person listening to it feel either A) more powerful or B) in awe of that power.

I have never heard is explained like this but that a very good analogy.:toast

101A
08-13-2010, 12:15 PM
See Peacock: Male.

coyotes_geek
08-13-2010, 12:21 PM

Best answer yet.

Cry Havoc
08-13-2010, 12:25 PM

:lol

Viva Las Espuelas
08-13-2010, 12:34 PM
http://iruntheinternet.com/lulzdump/images/s-it-feels-good-man-dog-window-1273930839c.jpg

I love seeing that. Nothing you could do to make your dog happier than letting him stick his head out the window while you drive. :lol I like the mutts that bite the wind. Too funny.

Smart Ass
08-13-2010, 12:42 PM
http://www.firstgenmc.com/museum/aceventura.jpg

Viva Las Espuelas
08-13-2010, 12:48 PM
I do it cuz I can and cuz I like it. I don't do it in neighborhoods and I'm mindful if it's late.

OP, does it really matter why people do this? You sure do whine a lot on here.

ashbeeigh
08-13-2010, 12:50 PM
I do that when I'm close to home, coming out of a drive thru and I'm too lazy to press the "up" button and I love the song that is on the radio.

Nathan Explosion
08-13-2010, 05:32 PM
I do it to some songs, because it just sounds better. Some songs are just meant to be heard loud. Ministry is fucking awesome when it's shaking my mirrors. Even though the song was overplayed, when the drums on Green Day's "Holiday" kick in, it's great.

What I don't get is the guys who bass out to some stereotypical rap song that has the same beat as all the others and is not distinct in any way. How the hell can that be enjoyable?

While some may not like these artists, I know when I'm listening to Eminem, Jay Z, Kanye, Outkast, Snoop Dogg, and so on and so forth. I'm not a fan of some of those guys but I know who they are when I hear the songs. The style is distinct, with Eminem and Outkast being among the most creative with their beats imo.

Wild Cobra
08-13-2010, 05:57 PM
why do people drive with their windows down and their music playing loudly?
Because they are lame.

4>0rings
08-13-2010, 09:17 PM
Nigga, you black. You tell me why you blast with your windows rolled down.

J.T.
08-13-2010, 09:22 PM
I liked eminem's new CD but since the only song on it the radio plays is that Rhianna shit I've lost all respect for eminem.

nigga plz em has like 3 songs on the radio right now, that im not afraid one, that shitty wish right now song, and the one with rihanna

tbh i drive with my windows down on the reg just out of habit and i blast my tunes all the time. recently my cd player hasn't been working so i jam pop mix radio when i'm stuck at red lights and glorious i35 traffic. nice to know it's pissing everyone off :tu

4>0rings
08-13-2010, 09:29 PM
This is Texas, you drive with your windows down.. your broke ass just doesn't have A/C.

IronMexican
08-13-2010, 09:37 PM
I always try to make sure people don't know what I'm listening to.

CuckingFunt
08-13-2010, 09:59 PM
I listen to music pretty low in my car, unless I'm on a long drive, because I don't like feeling so cut off from the sounds of driving and/or the outside world. Same reason I don't listen to my iPod when walking (or listen through only one earbud when I do).

That being said, it's one of those things that's just never bothered me when other people do it. Fairly easy to ignore, really. In fact, it can often be amusing. Especially when someone proudly shows off their tunes in a ratty old car you can see/hear shaking with the bass.

4>0rings
08-13-2010, 10:14 PM
I always try to make sure people don't know what I'm listening to.
Yeah cause they would straight kick your ass outta east la.

Jacob1983
08-13-2010, 10:33 PM
What gets on your nerves more: hearing loud music from someone else's car or hearing their engine and/or muffler? Personally, I've never understood why people like to make their engine and/or muffler loud. Do people think it's cool to do that? Do they realize that most people think people that do that are douchebags?

rr2418
08-13-2010, 11:00 PM
Like someone posted already, people play loud music with their windows rolled down just to show off. They think they look cool, but they don't. I guess they want to be some kind of psuedo gangsta! :lol

I'd rather listen to my music with the windows up so I can "hear" the song. With the windows rolled down, there is too much noise going on. Whether people will admit it or not, they want to show off.

Nathan Explosion
08-14-2010, 05:31 AM
If it's a cool day, I'm rolling with my windows down. Saves gas plus the AC robs the car of some hp. I drive a family car so I need the all the hp I can get. It's hard to look cool driving by yourself in a family car with two car seats in the back. So if I'm blasting my music when I'm driving alone (because I don't do it with my kids in the car) I guarantee it's not because I want to show off.

J.T.
08-14-2010, 06:21 AM
sometimes i will put my aviators on and lip synch, fist pump and do generic shitty dance moves when im at red lights or in traffic and have an audience. the reactions i get are great.

ididnotnothat
08-14-2010, 06:23 AM
If it's a cool day, I'm rolling with my windows down. Saves gas plus the AC robs the car of some hp. I drive a family car so I need the all the hp I can get. It's hard to look cool driving by yourself in a family car with two car seats in the back. So if I'm blasting my music when I'm driving alone (because I don't do it with my kids in the car) I guarantee it's not because I want to show off.

+1 If it is cool outside I always roll with my windows down and it has nothing to do with wanting to show off or look cool. I'm past that stage.

EmptyMan
08-14-2010, 07:43 AM
What gets on your nerves more: hearing loud music from someone else's car or hearing their engine and/or muffler? Personally, I've never understood why people like to make their engine and/or muffler loud. Do people think it's cool to do that? Do they realize that most people think people that do that are douchebags?

Especially on their rice 4-banger. It's pretty amusing.

benefactor
08-14-2010, 07:58 AM
I've had a nice systems in my cars from the time I started driving. It's more about me having my own personal rock concert in my car than showing off to anyone else...and with only one 12 inch sub(albeit a nice one) I'm not trying to blast out anyone around me.

As others have mentioned, I'll usually only ride with the windows down when it's nice enough outside to do so. I'll crack them a little at other times when I have it turned up to release pressure from the cabin to make the bass sound better, but won't roll them all the way down.

Cry Havoc
08-14-2010, 11:58 AM

Adding an aftermarket exhaust to your car can give significant boosts to horsepower. Some people obviously do it to be loud, others do it to give their engine better performance.

mrsmaalox
08-14-2010, 12:22 PM
That's a major beef with me driving a convertible. My car has a rear engine which cuts down a lot on noise, but the music volume has to be pretty high to be able to hear it well anyway. I just tend to opt for no music in stop and go driving cuz I get tired of constantly adjusting the volume.

Chomag
08-14-2010, 12:48 PM
nigga plz em has like 3 songs on the radio right now, that im not afraid one, that shitty wish right now song, and the one with rihanna

tbh i drive with my windows down on the reg just out of habit and i blast my tunes all the time. recently my cd player hasn't been working so i jam pop mix radio when i'm stuck at red lights and glorious i35 traffic. nice to know it's pissing everyone off :tu

Have you ever thought of being considerate of others? Is being respectful to others really such a lost cause these days? I just find it very funny seeing someone taking pride in being disrespectful.

No one will think your cool because of this.

Dex
08-14-2010, 12:52 PM

I lol'd.

J.T.
08-14-2010, 12:52 PM
Have you ever thought of being considerate of others? Is being respectful to others really such a lost cause these days? I just find it very funny seeing someone taking pride in being disrespectful.

No one will think your cool because of this.

lol i know you didn't just play the be considerate of others card as it applies to playing music loudly in a vehicle. it's not about trying to be cool, it's about doing what i want. and blasting my tunes is well within my rights. chill the f out. actually i encourage you to blast your tunes back in an effort to make me turn mine down.

Hooks
08-14-2010, 02:10 PM
I can't stand it when people bump the shit outta whatever they're listening to. I live right next to a gas station and every single night I hear an idiot with their speakers full blast at midnight. And don't give me that "Oh it sounds better" bullshit, you can't even hear the words they're saying in the song. Nobody looks cool bumping their music like that, yall look like a bunch of douche bags. I don't know about yall but I never saw someone bumping their music and thought they looked cool, fucken idiots!

Sometimes I put my music loud but I don't have it to where people can feel the bass shake their houses' walls.

Shit reminds me of the Motorcycle episode in Southpark, they're exactly the same.

badfish22
08-14-2010, 03:02 PM
sometimes i will put my aviators on and lip synch, fist pump and do generic shitty dance moves when im at red lights or in traffic and have an audience. the reactions i get are great.

Thats probably cause you think you're cooler then me.

Chomag
08-14-2010, 04:22 PM
lol i know you didn't just play the be considerate of others card as it applies to playing music loudly in a vehicle. it's not about trying to be cool, it's about doing what i want. and blasting my tunes is well within my rights. chill the f out. actually i encourage you to blast your tunes back in an effort to make me turn mine down.

Of course you can be a douche, thats your right. That doesn't mean you have to be one.

Also if you read my post in this thread I see nothing wrong with it as I do it sometimes as well. However I am considerate and turn it down at a stop light or in a neighborhood. Not everyone would like to hear my music.

Nathan Explosion
08-14-2010, 06:17 PM
Adding an aftermarket exhaust to your car can give significant boosts to horsepower. Some people obviously do it to be loud, others do it to give their engine better performance.

Yeah, tell that to the guy who has one on his 95 Civic because he thinks it looks and sounds cool. And to top it off, it's supposed to add to the takeoff speed of the car, and yet, most guys I come across are driving at or below the speed limit.

Again, when I'm blowing past you in my family car, that means move the fuck over and get out of the left lane.

J.T.
08-14-2010, 09:29 PM
im amazed at how butthurt some people in this thread are over loud music that you only have to put up with for a limited amount of time

balli
08-14-2010, 09:36 PM
im amazed at how butthurt some people in this thread are over loud music that you only have to put up with for a limited amount of time
Not as butthurt as I am about those damn kids on my lawn.

Really, I don't find it all that annoying, just cloying and ridiculous.