PDA

View Full Version : CNN poll: Majority say they don't count on Social Security

coyotes_geek
08-13-2010, 09:51 AM
(CNN) - Pessimism over Social Security is at an all-time high as six in ten Americans who don't already receive benefits through the program say they never will, according to a new CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll.

As the program nears its 70th anniversary of implementation, 63 percent of Americans say the program won't last another 70 years.

"There have always been a significant number of Americans who thought that Social Security would not be able to pay benefits to them when they retire," CNN Polling Director Keating Holland said. "But since 1989, when Gallup first asked this question, that number usually hovered in the mid-40s and never rose higher than 52 percent. Today, 60 percent say they will never get a benefit from Social Security."

Only about four in ten of current retirees believe Social Security will always be able to pay their full benefits, according to the poll.

For the first time in nearly 30 years, Social Security will pay out more benefits than it receives in payroll taxes both this year and in 2011. By 2015, the program is expected regularly operate with an annual deficit.

The poll was conducted on August 6-10 and surveyed 1,009 Americans, including 935 registered voters. The sampling error varied-from 3 percent to 5.5 percent-by question. The full results of the poll, including the sampling error for each question, may be found here.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/08/13/cnn-poll-majority-say-they-dont-count-on-social-security/

boutons_deux
08-13-2010, 10:30 AM
Once the Repugs dump SocSec on Wall St criminals to suck out 100s of $Bs in fees, SocSec will be finally dead. The oligarchy will put the final nail in the coffin of retirement, and walk about with $Ts in their pockets.

Next target for Wall St: state/local govt "rainy day funds".

CosmicCowboy
08-13-2010, 10:56 AM
Seriously...

How do you put someone on "ignore"?

Boutons is clearly out of his fucking mind.

boutons_deux
08-13-2010, 10:57 AM
CC, your refutations are compelling.

GFY

CosmicCowboy
08-13-2010, 10:58 AM
Ahhhh...found it.

CosmicCowboy
08-13-2010, 11:06 AM
This message is hidden because boutons_deux is on your ignore list.

:lol

Sweeeeet!

jack sommerset
08-13-2010, 11:19 AM
No way in hell ST was lucky enough to have a nut job like Buttons. That dude is someones troll. Copying and pasting from some radical lefts blog.

EmptyMan
08-13-2010, 11:47 AM
I wish it would die so I could quit paying into it.

Lucky teachers' unions.

coyotes_geek
08-13-2010, 11:48 AM
I wish it would die so I could quit paying into it.

Or at the very least allow people to opt out of it. Stupid ponzi scheme.

boutons_deux
08-13-2010, 11:49 AM
You right-wing pussies Can't Handle Bitch-Slappings From The Boutons.

GFY, dicklessness.

Drachen
08-13-2010, 12:48 PM
With that information, it may become politically viable (very soon) to begin winding it down. I will gladly give up the money I put into it (write it off as a loss, maybe they could even allow us to do that over the span of a few years) if they stop making me pay it.

If someone asks me how we could do the wind down, I will probably have an answer if I think about it. However it will of course be an incomplete answer much like a brainstorming session so instead of shooting it down by saying "that won't work because of situation X" perhaps you could say something like "Oh if we modify it this way, it will avoid situation X." It's a little more helpful.

Wild Cobra
08-13-2010, 05:19 PM
:lol

Sweeeeet!
Yes it is.

I currently have that shithead Chump on IGNORE.

LnGrrrR
08-13-2010, 05:21 PM
See, that's why we need an illegal immigrant amnesty... to get a whole bunch more young workers paying into it. Just limit the amnesty to anyone under 30. :lol

Marcus Bryant
08-13-2010, 06:01 PM
It's ok, SS will be 'fixed' by increasing the FICA tax rate such that you don't even get your $ back. But at least the government will have forced you to pay more than you needed for your retirement. What a stupid fucking country.

Wild Cobra
08-13-2010, 06:05 PM
It's ok, SS will be 'fixed' by increasing the FICA tax rate such that you don't even get your $ back. But at least the government will have forced you to pay more than you needed for your retirement. What a stupid fucking country.
It's already like that.

I figure if I could retire on everything I put in SS, at average market rates, I would be better off than today, working.

CosmicCowboy
08-13-2010, 06:07 PM
With that information, it may become politically viable (very soon) to begin winding it down. I will gladly give up the money I put into it (write it off as a loss, maybe they could even allow us to do that over the span of a few years) if they stop making me pay it.

If someone asks me how we could do the wind down, I will probably have an answer if I think about it. However it will of course be an incomplete answer much like a brainstorming session so instead of shooting it down by saying "that won't work because of situation X" perhaps you could say something like "Oh if we modify it this way, it will avoid situation X." It's a little more helpful.

I'm 55 and have paid almost $300,000 into SS and Medicare (thats actual dollars...no interest included...I don't even want to think about what it would be with interest)

I'd be a little unhappy if they just cancelled it now.

Drachen
08-13-2010, 06:41 PM
I'm 55 and have paid almost $300,000 into SS and Medicare (thats actual dollars...no interest included...I don't even want to think about what it would be with interest)

I'd be a little unhappy if they just cancelled it now.

See, this is good, it doesn't have to be |STOP| for everyone, maybe people under 30 lose it, people under 40 lose 75%, 50-50%, etc. I don't know what the ages or percentages should be, and there is likely a better, less painful way, however I am interested in exploring it. Oh and everyone is going to have to hurt, or it wont work.

Wild Cobra
08-13-2010, 08:26 PM
Oh and everyone is going to have to hurt, or it wont work.
Bullshit.

If congress would stop over spending, SS would not be a problem.

Nbadan
08-13-2010, 09:43 PM
:lmao

What exactly is going to happen to the trillions of dollars worth of Security bills sitting in govt. savings funds? Are they going to just disappear? You wing-nut crack me up.

Wild Cobra
08-13-2010, 09:48 PM

What exactly is going to happen to the trillions of dollars worth of Security bills sitting in govt. savings funds? Are they going to just disappear? You wing-nut crack me up.
It could either be invested, or taken out of circulation, increasing the value of the dollar.

Nbadan
08-13-2010, 09:49 PM
What you wing-nuts don't understand is that money from Social Security is not isolated from all other money...if the U.S. defaults on its treasury obligations, which with only about $250 billion per year in net debt, or money leaving the system, I don't know why it would....but if it did, all money would be worthless.....your 401K, your IRA, your savings....

GONE!

Wild Cobra
08-13-2010, 09:50 PM
What you wing-nuts don't understand is that money from Social Security is not isolated from all other money...if the U.S. defaults on its treasury obligations, which with only about $250 billion per year in net debt, or money leaving the system, I don't know why it would....but if it did, all money would be worthless.....your 401K, your IRA, your savings....

GONE!
My 401k doesn't change with government security values. It changes with the health of businesses. demonrats are destroying it. Not SS.

Nbadan
08-13-2010, 09:53 PM
My 401k doesn't change with government security values. It changes with the health of businesses. demonrats are destroying it. Not SS.

ONCE again, if the government defaults on its treasury obligations your 401K will be worthless because our economy, you know the 'bidnez' you have your money in, would be worthless...

Wild Cobra
08-13-2010, 09:57 PM
ONCE again, if the government defaults on its treasury obligations your 401K will be worthless because our economy, you know the 'bidnez' you have your money in, would be worthless...
I disagree.

You have evidence?

Nbadan
08-13-2010, 11:01 PM
I disagree.

You have evidence?

Let's talk this out....how are people going to conduct international transactions with no valued currency and a default credit rating?

coyotes_geek
08-14-2010, 11:12 AM

They won't disappear. They'll be transformed from savings bonds into trillions of dollars worth of new defecit as the treasury will have to go borrow money to pay back social security the money they borrowed.

coyotes_geek
08-14-2010, 11:21 AM

GONE!

The treasury isn't going to default. We can all rest assured that when it becomes necessary to raise taxes and cut welfare so that chinese banks can keep getting their interest payments on time that Uncle Sam will be up to the task.

Wild Cobra
08-14-2010, 09:10 PM
Let's talk this out....how are people going to conduct international transactions with no valued currency and a default credit rating?
This part would be good. It would make it viable for new growth businesses in America once overseas products are more expensive.

DMX7
08-14-2010, 09:12 PM
America is too big to fail. It will never happen.

Wild Cobra
08-14-2010, 09:57 PM
America is too big to fail. It will never happen.
But who's going to give us a bailout when that happens?

Will China then own 60% of us?

Ever watch Firefly?

DMX7
08-15-2010, 01:14 AM
But who's going to give us a bailout when that happens?

Will China then own 60% of us?

Ever watch Firefly?

If America needs a bailout, an endless series of things will probably have to happen but the world will make sure that it does because it has too much invested in America.

The bailout won't come from just one country or group of countries, it will come, ironically, from the private sector as well.