PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Tiago Splitter

nbaman99
08-13-2010, 05:50 PM
Written by Jeff Garcia
Friday, 13 August 2010 14:30
The World Basketball Festival events in New York City's Ruker Park continue as the Puerto Rico and Brazil national teams held a scrimmage in front of a packed house.

After the game, Project Spurs caught up with San Antonio Spurs' center, Tiago Splitter, to talk about his injury, finally playing with the Spurs and Tim Duncan and much more.

Enjoy this Project Spurs exclusive interview with Tiago Splitter.

http://projectspurs.com/2010-articles/august/project-spurs-exclusive-interview-with-tiago-splitter.html

DPG21920
08-13-2010, 06:11 PM
I am so pumped that Tiago is here. Despite a lot of disappointment this off season, Tiago makes it a win. I hope he comes in and adds a lot of energy to this team.

slick'81
08-13-2010, 07:36 PM
yeah u cant complain when u bring in a talented big

EricB
08-13-2010, 07:59 PM
I don't understand how this offseason was disappointing.

MiamiCalor
08-13-2010, 08:12 PM

Instead of Lebron, Bosh and Wade, you got RJ, Bonner, and Ed Neal.

U mad, chico?

U disappointed? I would be highly, highly disappointed.

Vivan los tres reyes! JAJAJA!!!!

A la mierda por los tres duds!

E-RockWill
08-13-2010, 10:04 PM

:lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt:

Bandwagon Heat douchebag

bobby4germany
08-13-2010, 10:11 PM
Instead of Lebron, Bosh and Wade, you got RJ, Bonner, and Ed Neal.

U mad, chico?

Vivan los tres reyes! JAJAJA!!!!

A la mierda por los tres duds!

Wow a Heat troll, I didn't see that coming! :rolleyes

Sean Cagney
08-13-2010, 10:14 PM

I don't either, we got rid of Mason and Bogans who sucked and resigned BONNER! :lol:lol. I liked our draft and Tiago coming over was agreat, plus RJ not making 16 mill next year is another good thing IMO! Spurs are going to have another year with Hill and RJ getting mins (Blair too), adding Splitter and Anderson is a big upgrade so this offseason is a success.

Obstructed_View
08-13-2010, 10:22 PM

Of course you don't. :lol

Thompson
08-13-2010, 11:00 PM
I don't think it was a bad off season.

We added Splitter, James Anderson (who many said was a steal at #20), and a great shooter in Gary Neal. Temple was looking good before he was injured. Though many don't like the overall amount Jefferson was given, the restructured deal allows the Spurs to get under the luxury tax, and we retained a talented small forward who I think will improve in his second year with the team (Blair and Hill might also improve). Bogans and Mason are both gone.

I'm very excited about the following lineup (and I think many here are not as excited as they should be about Anderson, since he sat out of summer league due to his injury).

Splitter McDyess
Duncan Blair Bonner
Jefferson Anderson
Ginobili Neal Gee
Parker Hill Temple

barbacoataco
08-13-2010, 11:07 PM
I don't think it was a bad off season.

We added Splitter, James Anderson (who many said was a steal at #20), and a great shooter in Gary Neal. Temple was looking good before he was injured. Though many don't like the overall amount Jefferson was given, the restructured deal allows the Spurs to get under the luxury tax, and we retained a talented small forward who I think will improve in his second year with the team (Blair and Hill might also improve). Bogans and Mason are both gone.

I'm very excited about the following lineup (and I think many here are not as excited as they should be about Anderson, since he sat out of summer league due to his injury).

Splitter McDyess
Duncan Blair Bonner
Jefferson Anderson
Ginobili Neal Gee
Parker Hill Temple

I would be surprised if Bonner is the 5th big in the rotation after the contract he signed. I see McDyess, even more so in the 1st half, as the 5th big who gets limited minutes.

DPG21920
08-13-2010, 11:16 PM
Of course you don't. :lol

I'm glad somebody said it :lol

Man In Black
08-14-2010, 01:54 AM
What I like most about the video is that his walking gait didn't seem pained at all. It's a steady pace and that bodes well for him, Brazil, & The Spurs.

With regards to Bonner, I think...he will be the 4th big but only situationally, like when Pop wants to rest Duncan & McDyess. Do the Spurs need Duncan to get 20 & 10 against the likes of say...the Wizards or the T-Wolves? Let Tim gear up for the "real" season.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-14-2010, 02:00 AM

Two letters: R

J.

:pctoss

ChumpDumper
08-14-2010, 04:19 AM
What were you guys expecting this offseason?

BronxCowboy
08-14-2010, 07:23 AM

Exactly. Anyone who is disappointed with this offseason must have had ridiculous expectations. Fellas, anybody you can get for the vet minimum or the BAE is not going to be a game changer! The Spurs basically needed an upgrade in the frontcourt, had no small forward under contract (at all), and needed shooters. A lockdown perimeter defender would be nice too, but that was already a tall order with basically the MLE to work with. So what did they end up with? Am upgrade in the frontcourt (maybe a major upgrade, depending how well Splitter works out), a very solid small forward even if they did overpay for him, and two new sharpshooters, while retaining every single player who contributed in a meaningful way last season and getting rid of every single one who didn't (yes, I said it: Bonner belongs in the first batch). You can't ask for a better offseason than that unless your team sucked last year and you spent the season basically clearing capspace.

Mark in Austin
08-14-2010, 08:32 AM

George Hill to transmogrify into the PG half this board seems to think he is.:stirpot:

yavozerb
08-14-2010, 10:09 AM

You guys who want alot of change every offseason should support below average teams cause there you will get your wish every summer. The spurs offseason was nothing special, but they were able to not only able to keep together a competative team, they also I believe have gotten better with the new additions. Complain all you want guys about RJ's contract, he helped the spurs accomplish there main goal this summer and that was to get Tiago to SA.

Harry Callahan
08-14-2010, 11:50 AM
RJ was paid too much to stay and for too long, but the alternatives were not great if he walked. In a perfect world, Spurs would have Shaqified the deal and made it for about $5M a year for three years.

That was not going to happen. I believe the Spurs agreed to some kind of contract in exchange for RJ opting out and saving the cost of the luxury tax on his one year at $15M. If the Spurs low balled him after he agreed to opt out, there would have been long term problems with that. You know RJ would have barked about it to the world and the Spurs would have lost credibility with future free agents.

I don't think it was an awful offseason at all. Splitter and Anderson are good additions.

Harry Callahan
08-14-2010, 11:52 AM
One other thing. Nobody talks about Jefferson having a back injury last year, but that adversely affected his play. Hopefully, he is in better physical shape this year.

Samr
08-14-2010, 12:18 PM
I still don't think the Bonner contract is THAT bad. Yeah, they overpaid, but he's a legit NBA player who fills a legit role with a legit 3-point shot (that disappears in the post season). Teams always take a flier on players who may or may not fill this role, and Bonner's a proven entity and though not extremely good, you know what you're getting with him. Wouldn't you rather the Spurs lock that up and spend their time instead taking fliers on other players (like Neal)?

What I expected: Splitter would stay overseas one more year, Spurs would do ok in the draft, trade RJ at the deadline for a few role players who might help rebuild, adios Mason, Bogans, and (unfortunately) Bonner.

What happened: Tiago signed a VERY reasonable contract, Spurs got a proven sharpshooter entity in Neal, Spurs landed arguably one of the bigger steals of the draft, RJ -- regardless of last season, still a top-tier SF -- was locked up for a few years, and Spurs still have financial wiggle room to sign another vet role player or two. Bonner's contract was too big, yes, but it's still a pill most reasonable fans (and GMs, if he was eventually traded) can swallow.

How can you NOT be excited about all that?

EmptyMan
08-14-2010, 03:27 PM
We finally have a 7' with some actual skill and athleticism, AND he's not 35. This offseason was win.

EricB
08-14-2010, 03:32 PM
George Hill to transmogrify into the PG half this board seems to think he is.:stirpot:

But but but but look at the end of last season!!!

EricB
08-14-2010, 03:34 PM
RJ was paid too much to stay and for too long, but the alternatives were not great if he walked. In a perfect world, Spurs would have Shaqified the deal and made it for about $5M a year for three years.

That was not going to happen. I believe the Spurs agreed to some kind of contract in exchange for RJ opting out and saving the cost of the luxury tax on his one year at $15M. If the Spurs low balled him after he agreed to opt out, there would have been long term problems with that. You know RJ would have barked about it to the world and the Spurs would have lost credibility with future free agents.

I don't think it was an awful offseason at all. Splitter and Anderson are good additions.

The alternatives were......

Yeah no one could answer that.

Oh yeah, starting D League level players.

Top notch.

itzsoweezee
08-14-2010, 04:55 PM

Dumping Bonner, not giving him a multi-million dollar, multi-year contract. The fact that he's even on this team, speaks volumes about the Spurs' chances next year. Popobitch simply never learns.

I'll be surprised if Splitter or Blair average more minutes than Bonner this year.