PDA

View Full Version : McNabb throws TD pass; Redskins top Bills 42-17

ducks
08-13-2010, 10:26 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/recap;_ylt=AqQAsX._C.yvRdgjnXvkCwJDubYF?gid=201008 13028

bresilhac
08-13-2010, 11:13 PM
The offense looked great tonight. Donovan had a qb rating of 124 while playing in only a couple of first quarter series. O-line play was terrific for most of the night. The starters were highly effective during first half action.

I'm still not sold on the 3-4 set as far being able to stop the run consistently and effectively. However being able to rush the passer didn't seem like a problem tonight.

Overall impressions have me very excited about this team's potential this upcoming season. Particularly if they improve upon tonight's performance which is likely.

Bring on the 'Girls!

HTTR.

Spursfan092120
08-13-2010, 11:19 PM
:sleep preseason :sleep

Hooks
08-13-2010, 11:20 PM
The offense looked great tonight. Donovan had a qb rating of 124 while playing in only a couple of first quarter series. O-line play was terrific for most of the night. The starters were highly effective during first half action.

I'm still not sold on the 3-4 set as far being able to stop the run consistently and effectively. However being able to rush the passer didn't seem like a problem tonight.

Overall impressions have me very excited about this team's potential this upcoming season. Particularly if they improve upon tonight's performance which is likely.

Bring on the 'Girls!

HTTR.

The defense still has to get used to playing in the 3-4, & Haynesworth wasn't with the starting unit (dude frees up other defenders).

Man that guy Brandon Banks is gonna be a pretty darn good return man, he runs EXACTLY like Desean Jackson. They said he beat Tennessee's C. Johnson in a footrace twice and put up a 4.4 40 with a pulled hamstring.

bresilhac
08-13-2010, 11:21 PM
:sleep preseason :sleep

No, the real yawner was watching highlights of the Dallas offense against Oakland from last night. Or lack thereof I should say.

Spursfan092120
08-13-2010, 11:26 PM
No, the real yawner was watching highlights of the Dallas offense against Oakland from last night. Or lack thereof I should say.
lol...Romo played a few series'....Kitna, McGee and Nichols won't be playing...don't count your chickens on a preseason game, dude..means nothing...Cowboys last two superbowls? 1-3-1 and 2-3 in the preseason.

bresilhac
08-13-2010, 11:29 PM
The defense still has to get used to playing in the 3-4, & Haynesworth wasn't with the starting unit (dude frees up other defenders).

Man that guy Brandon Banks is gonna be a pretty darn good return man, he runs EXACTLY like Desean Jackson. They said he beat Tennessee's C. Johnson in a footrace twice and put up a 4.4 40 with a pulled hamstring.

Yes, Banks was pretty incredible tonight. I was really impressed with Ryan Torain's performance in the game however. 62 yards on 17 runs for a 3.64 yards per carry average. That's not bad for a preseason debut with a new team. I would like to have seen Parker and/or Johnson tonight but I guess it was deemed unnecessary for them to play tonight. I expect big things from those two backing up CP26 this season.

BUMP
08-13-2010, 11:31 PM
If Shanahan can get that Skins team running like they did in Denver, combined with that defense I'll admit they will be tough to beat.

bresilhac
08-13-2010, 11:34 PM
lol...Romo played a few series'....Kitna, McGee and Nichols won't be playing...don't count your chickens on a preseason game, dude..means nothing...Cowboys last two superbowls? 1-3-1 and 2-3 in the preseason.

The last two Superbowls? Man that's ancient history already. Why don't you just face it. The Dallas offense has been crap this offseason and they're a long way from being good.

Consider the Redskins offensive performance tonight with a new quarterback, new O-coordinator, new back up QB, Grossman, and a newly rebuilt O-line. Even with all this the offense dropped 42 on Buffalo not including the Banks runback.

Hooks
08-13-2010, 11:45 PM
Yes, Banks was pretty incredible tonight. I was really impressed with Ryan Torain's performance in the game however. 62 yards on 17 runs for a 3.64 yards per carry average. That's not bad for a preseason debut with a new team. I would like to have seen Parker and/or Johnson tonight but I guess it was deemed unnecessary for them to play tonight. I expect big things from those two backing up CP26 this season.

I heard Parker hasn't been playing well at all in training camp they said he's pretty much done and Torain is likely to take over his spot. They also said Larry Johnson has been pretty good in training camp often showing that burst he's been lacking. Portis looked pretty good today as well. Trent Williams looks like he's gonna be great & Haynesworth was dominant with that 2nd unit.

Brian Westbrook has also said he will make his decision on Monday so there is a possibility he winds up with the Skins.

I've been watching the Eagles for years and they never had a running game, it's weird watching a team actually run the ball with McNabb at QB. If Andy Reid had actually coached the Eagles better they could've won at least 3 superbowls with McNabb at QB. McNabb still has some left in the tank, he's still one of the better QBs in the NFL.

MannyIsGod
08-14-2010, 12:14 AM
God I can't wait for the start of the season. Opening week will either be amazing or I'll want to punch a hole in my TV.

PGDynasty24
08-14-2010, 04:54 PM
Telling you Redskins can do some damage,Shanahan teams can run the ball and he is a offensive genius. IF their defense can be very good they are going to be a force

bigzak25
08-14-2010, 05:08 PM
I don't like scoring that many points in the preseason as it alerts teams to our presence.

Health is the only concern for the preseason. I didn't watch but a few minutes of the game, so I'll go watch it now...or should I say...as soon as my son lets me as he is on the xbox at the moment...

But two TD drives to start the game is a darn good positive sign. One with McNabb and one with Grossman. I think it was 14-3 at the end of the 1st, so that's not too shabby for a first preseason game.

As for Dallas, I won't speculate too much, I called into the ticket yesterday and told Mike Taylor what was up, but they brushed me off.

Bottomline, the Cowboys will rise or fall with their O-line, as is usually the case with any team. Dallas has no Daryl Johnston that is willing to be a lead blocker for your other backs. The RBs are all me guys. The QB is a me guy. The only guys I like on your offense are Whitten and Austin. Those guys are ballers. But if you can't run the ball...which is what you gotta be able to do in the redzone...then you won't be winning anything.

You gotta be able to show run inside the 5. Have the defense adjust to stop the run, and then smash it down their throats anyway. That's how championships are won, and I expect all you cowboy fans to know that since that's how you won with a certain #22.

Luckily for me and my Redskins brethren, #22 just put on his yellow jacket and won't be coming near an endzone again.

But I'll happily watch this year as you all debate who Romo should be throwing to instead.

I'll happily watch as Jason Garrett becomes this years whipping boy due to declining O-Line play that has been overlooked.

I'll gladly watch as your very very good defense (at least the front 7) gets demoralized as the season goes on due to lack of offensive production when it counts.

I hope Jerry takes it all in stride though, and believes he can do it even better next year.

The last thing I want Jerry to do is follow Snyder's lead and get out of the way.

I like Jerry leading things. I could live with an above average, never winning when it counts Dallas Cowboys team for the rest of my life and be happy.

Be sure to go get your Antonio Bryant jersey if you haven't already...

I think I'll go look at our brand new rookie stud left tackle's jersey and see how much that one runs. :toast

samikeyp
08-14-2010, 05:45 PM
Bottomline, the Cowboys will rise or fall with their O-line, as is usually the case with any team. Dallas has no Daryl Johnston that is willing to be a lead blocker for your other backs. The RBs are all me guys. The QB is a me guy. The only guys I like on your offense are Whitten and Austin. Those guys are ballers. But if you can't run the ball...which is what you gotta be able to do in the redzone...then you won't be winning anything.

While you can't accurately tell who is a "me" guy without being in the locker room....I agree with most of this. You have to be able to run the ball.....the problem hasn't been that Dallas can't run the ball, its that they don't. Garrett's play calling has been very suspect. Dallas has one of, if not the biggest, O-line in the league...if you are inside the 5 with that line and those three backs you have no business throwing on first or second down...and if you don't want to run the ball that close the goal line, you don't deserve to win.

That being said....as a veteran of watching wayyy too much pre-season football, I have learned that Zak was right about health being the most important thing. Its not completely meaningless but its also not something to get to high or too low over. . Shanahan will be responsible for at least 4 wins by himself if not more, so the offensive output was not surprising. Washington's offense looked sharp and Dallas' didn't. If this happens in week 1, that means something...so far, it means that its just the pre-season.

I am glad though to see the annual "we rule, you suck" pre-season smack starting....it means that the season is not far off. :toast

Spurs rock
08-14-2010, 06:05 PM
Preseason means shit!

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
08-14-2010, 06:08 PM
4-0

0-16

BUMP
08-14-2010, 06:17 PM
The difference between the Boys not scoring and the Skins scoring a lot is personnel.

This is Romo's 5th season and Phillips 4th. The Cowboys consistently are at the top of the NFL at offense. We pretty much already know what we will get out of them this year in terms of offense. Same with teams like the Colts, Chargers, Patriots, Saints, etc. In that sense, they aren't going to throw a lot out there. The offense looked solid as usual with the exception of scoring in the redzone.

The Skins have a new coach and new quarterback so they have to get as much reps as they can before the season starts so this will lead to their starters being in longer, more wrinkles, and more scoring.

From what I saw from McNabb and Co., this might be the best Skins offense in a very long time. I think they will turn a lot of heads this year.

samikeyp
08-14-2010, 11:27 PM
The difference between the Boys not scoring and the Skins scoring a lot is personnel.

This is Romo's 5th season and Phillips 4th. The Cowboys consistently are at the top of the NFL at offense. We pretty much already know what we will get out of them this year in terms of offense. Same with teams like the Colts, Chargers, Patriots, Saints, etc. In that sense, they aren't going to throw a lot out there. The offense looked solid as usual with the exception of scoring in the redzone.

The Skins have a new coach and new quarterback so they have to get as much reps as they can before the season starts so this will lead to their starters being in longer, more wrinkles, and more scoring.

From what I saw from McNabb and Co., this might be the best Skins offense in a very long time. I think they will turn a lot of heads this year.

I agree...that's why I think they will get a wild card spot. Shanahan will have them ready to win some games.

bigzak25
08-14-2010, 11:49 PM
Redzone offense is where it's at though.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct

playing catch between the 20s looks good on paper, but it won't get it done in January. I've been a witness to that exact thing in Washington.

The Redskins advantage is that we hit rock bottom.

It is always darkest before the dawn.

We lost to the Lions last year fellas.
They drove 98 yards on the Skins for a Touchdown.

But daylight is upon us now. :toast

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-15-2010, 06:08 PM
All the Cardinals had to do was trade a 2nd round pick for McNabb and they wouldn't be wasting years of Fitz, AW-24 and Dockett in their prime trying to find a new QB. Now the Redskins might be a better team since the only QB who did anything well whatsoever against Houston was John Skelton.

scott
08-15-2010, 10:51 PM
Skins will go 6-10. Have fun celebrating preseason wins, losers.

bigzak25
08-15-2010, 11:01 PM

Yeah, talk now while you can Scott, you're gonna need all that beer your making to make your pain go away. :lol

reel classey by the way...:toast

MannyIsGod
08-16-2010, 12:09 AM

STFU before I show up at your bar playing circus music.

Chris
08-16-2010, 12:15 AM
Can we get an all inclusive thread stickied to the top so the NFL forum doesn't get cluttered with the same bullshit? This forum is getting worse than the College forum when it was cluttered with UTSA bullshit. Let the homers have their own sticky thread where they can fantasize about whether Donovan Mcnabb still has enough in the tank for a Super Bowl run. You know the usual Redskin fan talk.

Blake
08-16-2010, 10:33 AM
I recall that one year that Spurrier was head coach of the skins and they lit up the 49ers (iirc) in a preseason game with a similar score.....

Redskin fan got immediate wood right before the old ballcoach handcuffed him to the hotel bed and took his wallet

bigzak25
08-16-2010, 11:02 AM
Redskins fans remember Osaka very well.

Mike Shanihan is not Steve Spurrier.

Donovan McNabb is not Danny Wuerfell. (sp?)

Blake
08-16-2010, 01:06 PM
Redskins fans remember Osaka very well.

Mike Shanihan is not Steve Spurrier.

Donovan McNabb is not Danny Wuerfell. (sp?)

Dan Snyder is still Dan Snyder.

Redskins mascot is still the most offensive in the NFL. Just thought I'd throw that out there for fun.

bresilhac
08-16-2010, 08:19 PM

Redskins mascot is still the most offensive in the NFL. Just thought I'd throw that out there for fun.

What's offensive to me is Dallas proclaiming themselves America's Team. Now that's offensive.

J_Paco
08-16-2010, 09:23 PM

I'm from nearby P.G. county and couldn't agree with you more. I really can't believe that Snyder hasn't moved away from that questionable logo/mascot. The least he could do is use that spear logo from their 70th anniversary unis.

By the way, I'm along time Bills supporter and were going to get slaughtered this season. I'd be shocked if Trent Edwards makes it past week 8 as the starter and the Bills win more than 3 games.

:(:(:(

bigzak25
08-17-2010, 04:14 AM

Hey, I don't know if Dan Snyder has changed at all as I never truly knew him before. I could only judge by how he was running the team. But the way he is running the team has changed and that is a fact.

As for our mascot being the most offensive? That is a matter of opinion and a matter of perspective. If a cowboy fan is offended, then I'm happy about that. :lol

Bottomline, most people would just love for anything American Indian related to just go away as it reminds them of their guilt. This great country of ours was stolen and we all reap the benefits of our ancestors murderous ways.

I find great pride in that logo and for what it represents as I feel it represents a very prestigious people that were the true founders of this country. Our logo was not founded on hate and does not represent hate. Only the interpretation of the moral police, who are often the most morally corrupt, has changed.

So Hail to the Redskins, now and forever!

http://samismom22.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/redskins.jpg

leemajors
08-17-2010, 08:03 AM
As for our mascot being the most offensive? That is a matter of opinion and a matter of perspective. If a cowboy fan is offended, then I'm happy about that. :lol
Yeah, I'm sure it would be a matter of perspective too if they were the Washington Darkies.

Goran Dragic
08-17-2010, 10:30 AM
Personally I find it annoying how TROGs constantly bitch and moan about how Indian mascots are offensive. No one is forcing them to watch the Atlanta Braves or the Washington Redskins, they have a lot of other shit they could be worrying about (like the affinity Indians have with crystal meth).

bigzak25
08-17-2010, 10:58 AM
Yeah, I'm sure it would be a matter of perspective too if they were the Washington Darkies.

And who do you mean by 'Darkies'?

leemajors
08-17-2010, 11:35 AM
And who do you mean by 'Darkies'?

Derogatory slang is offensive.

bigzak25
08-17-2010, 11:43 AM
Derogatory slang is offensive.

Yes lee, that is very true.

And I'm almost certain that 100% of African Americans would take offense to the word you used to make a point.

However, I am not so certain about the % of Native Americans that take offense to the name Redskin.

I see it as an honorable tribute to a great people. At least it would be up for debate.

The word 'Darkies' would never be seen as an honorable tribute to anyone in any light, in my opinion.

But while I do believe I have some Indian blood in my veins, I cannot be so presumptuous to say what and what would not offend a Native American. So if there are any here on the board, please voice your opinion as I feel it carries more weight than most others.

So Apples to Oranges regarding your comparison in my opinion.

Goran Dragic
08-17-2010, 12:14 PM
No, tons of Native Americans take offense to team names like Redskin or Brave or Seminole, but that's just 1 of the 488912982135982132341 ways Native Americans like to cry victim.

bigzak25
08-17-2010, 12:22 PM
They were victims. I don't blame them for crying.

Our ancestors committed genocide in the name of a 'brave new frontier'...

Lets not forget that.

Goran Dragic
08-17-2010, 12:49 PM
The 'brave new frontier' has nothing to do with the decision native americans make to become alcoholic meth addicts who can't function in society.

Blake
08-17-2010, 01:03 PM
I see it as an honorable tribute to a great people. At least it would be up for debate.

Cool, let's honor the great African Americans next with a Blackskin team.

leemajors
08-17-2010, 02:05 PM
The 'brave new frontier' has nothing to do with the decision native americans make to become alcoholic meth addicts who can't function in society.

I don't know of many races who wouldn't after being corralled in South Dakota, Oklahoma, or whatever other ass ends of the country would be suitably barely habitable.

leemajors
08-17-2010, 02:08 PM
Yes lee, that is very true.

And I'm almost certain that 100% of African Americans would take offense to the word you used to make a point.

However, I am not so certain about the % of Native Americans that take offense to the name Redskin.

The word 'Darkies' would never be seen as an honorable tribute to anyone in any light, in my opinion.

But while I do believe I have some Indian blood in my veins, I cannot be so presumptuous to say what and what would not offend a Native American. So if there are any here on the board, please voice your opinion as I feel it carries more weight than most others.

So Apples to Oranges regarding your comparison in my opinion.

Naming a team after a tribe like the Seminoles, Apaches or something like that could definitely be seen as honorable, but Redskin? C'mon.