PDA

View Full Version : All We Are

08-13-2010, 11:09 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/71/PaleBlueDot.jpg/530px-PaleBlueDot.jpg

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.

It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.

-- Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot, 1994 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pfwY2TNehw)

jaffies
08-13-2010, 11:35 PM
Hello ladies,
Look at that dot,
now back to me,
now back at that dot,
now back to me...

I'm on a horse.

TheManFromAcme
08-14-2010, 08:54 AM
....all part of the Lords plan.

In either case, good point. We are afterall, insignificant in the vastness of the cosmos.

Carl Sagan rots in hell.

2pac > Kobe
08-14-2010, 12:51 PM
Hello ladies,
Look at that dot,
now back to me,
now back at that dot,
now back to me...

I'm on a horse.
I lol'd

good job asshole :tu

PakiDan
08-14-2010, 12:53 PM
Hello ladies,
Look at that dot,
now back to me,
now back at that dot,
now back to me...

I'm on a horse.

:lmao

benefactor
08-14-2010, 01:25 PM
Hello ladies,
Look at that dot,
now back to me,
now back at that dot,
now back to me...

I'm on a horse.
Well done, sir.

owGykVbfgUE

Avitus1
08-14-2010, 01:50 PM
Is dust in the wind?

LoneStarState'sPride
08-14-2010, 09:45 PM
Hello ladies,
Look at that dot,
now back to me,
now back at that dot,
now back to me...

I'm on a horse.

Awesome :lmao

Sisk
08-15-2010, 01:11 AM
Hello ladies,
Look at that dot,
now back to me,
now back at that dot,
now back to me...

I'm on a horse.

:lmao

SourCandy
08-15-2010, 01:45 AM
I like that dot

AlamoSpursFan
08-15-2010, 09:11 PM
All we are
All we are, we are
We are all, all we need
All we are
All we are, we are
We are all, all we need

There's beauty in the heart of the beast
Fear behind the eyes of the thief
I know you know we're all incomplete
Let's get together and let's get some relief

Chorus

Stronger than a mountain of steel
Faster than hell on wheels
We've got we've got all the power we need
Let's build a playground on this old battelfield

Chorus

Now we're stronger
We no longer want you bringin' us down
We've got the magic
So we're gonna spread the magic around yeah!

Now we're stronger
We no longer want you pushin' us

Chorus

All we are
We are all, all we need
Repeat

Nathan Explosion
08-16-2010, 01:18 AM
Back to the OP, that's why I consider myself agnostic. While obviously there's no real hard evidence that God exists, considering how insignificant we are in the universe, and how much less we know about it, it could be possible that we just don't have the technology nor understanding to understand the nature of God.

Until we know 100% of everything that is out there, we cannot rule it out. At the same time, until we actually find God, we can't say for sure God exists.

I always liken it to ultraviolent rays. 200 years ago if you told someone that there were these waves of light that existed, but we couldn't see, touch, feel, smell or hear them, they would probably think we didn't know what we were talking about. We could swear up and down they were there, and while we'd be right, we had no way to prove it. Eventually we developed the technology to detect these rays of light, and lo and behold, there they were.

So yeah.

But rather than think of the big picture, I think of the small picture. The greatest gift I can give to mankind is to raise my kids to be great human beings and let them contribute to our society as a whole. My legacy will be cemented in this society as long as I know I did the best job I possibly could, and my kids became the best humans they possibly could because of it.

Drachen
08-16-2010, 08:45 AM
....all part of the Lords plan.

In either case, good point. We are afterall, insignificant in the vastness of the cosmos.

Carl Sagan rots in hell.

Why do you hate Carl Sagan? (real question).

silverbora
08-16-2010, 12:37 PM
Is dust in the wind?

dude

@ 1:39

2EwaFkPMdlY

Mister Sinister
08-16-2010, 01:34 PM
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t46/lim3sparks/carl-sagan-smoke-weed-everyday.jpg

ididnotnothat
08-16-2010, 03:05 PM
Carl Sagan was the man.