PDA

View Full Version : Parker: ESPN Insider

Russo21
08-14-2010, 12:03 AM
Parker's path to the Knicks

1:43PM ET
Tony Parker | Spurs (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=sas)

http://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/nba/players/65/1015.jpg (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=1015)Recent moves could lead to Parker signing with New York.
Subscribe to Insider for as low as $2.50/month to access the complete rumor http://a.espncdn.com/icons/in.gif (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors?&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2ffeatures%2frumors#TOP)

Unfortunately i do not have ESPN Insider so i don't know the depth of the article. If anyone here does have access to it let us know what it says. In my oppinion it would be devestating to see Tony head to New York next summer with the Spurs getting nothing in return.

Why haven't the Spurs inked Tony to an extension already like we did with Manu?

Please RC ink Tony to an extention so we don't lose him for nothing next summer!

If that can't be done trade him for someone to help us get another title before TD sails off into the sunset. We can't lose somone like Tony for nothing in these next few precious years of TD's career:depressed

DPG21920
08-14-2010, 12:05 AM
The article probably says nothing. It is nothing to get worked up about. They use headlines to get people to buy things and the articles usually don't make sense and are not even related.

ohmwrecker
08-14-2010, 12:19 AM
Just an excuse for yet another "Trade Tony Parker" thread.

Cue cantthinkofanything in 3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . .

G-Dawgg
08-14-2010, 12:31 AM
Could Parker be colluding with Chris Paul, and Carmello Anthony?

A Parker/Paul backcourt with Parker playing the "2" would be sick...speed kills.....

DesignatedT
08-14-2010, 12:47 AM

Spurs didn't ink Manu till April of last season.... It's only August.

Russo21
08-14-2010, 12:51 AM
Spurs didn't ink Manu till April of last season.... It's only August.

True, True:toast

Russo21
08-14-2010, 12:52 AM
The article probably says nothing. It is nothing to get worked up about. They use headlines to get people to buy things and the articles usually don't make sense and are not even related.

I hope so mate:wakeupTime will tell

ElNono
08-14-2010, 01:04 AM
Dooomz thread!

Russo21
08-14-2010, 01:06 AM
Dooomz threat? What does dooomz mean?

WildcardManu
08-14-2010, 01:17 AM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors?date=20100813#17879

With their recent acquisitions of Trevor Ariza and Marco Bellinelli, the New Orleans Hornets appear to be taking steps to keep Chris Paul happy and in a Hornets uniform. What's more, they dealt away Darren Collison, Paul's likely replacement if they were to trade him, meaning that they seem dead-set on holding onto CP3 for as long as they can.

Now, a lot can happen this season that might finally prompt New Orleans to make a move, but as long as the team is hanging onto Paul, he won't be able to suit up for the New York Knicks (one of his rumored preferred trade destinations) in 2011. As Frank Isola of the New York Daily News tweets: "Paging Tony Parker ..."

This certainly clears the path for a Parker signing in New York, but this move probably depends on Carmelo Anthony's free agency decision. As we wrote Wednesday, he's already sold on New York if he becomes a free agent, but he'd have to leave a lot of money on the table in Denver to do so. Without Melo, signing a past-his-prime (but still talented) point guard in Parker doesn't really fit the Knicks' plans. But with Melo on board, a Parker-Anthony-Amar'e Stoudemire trio in Madison Square Garden would be an intriguing proposition.

- Jeff Dooley

Russo21
08-14-2010, 01:18 AM
Just an excuse for yet another "Trade Tony Parker" thread.

Cue cantthinkofanything in 3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . .

Actually smartass it was an "extend tony thread" but read into it what you will.

Amuseddaysleeper
08-14-2010, 01:48 AM
Parker past his prime?? Are you kidding me? He probably won't hit his prime till he's 28 or 29.

mike20spurs
08-14-2010, 01:52 AM
hahahahaha how old do you think Parker is?!? he's already 28! so either he already hit his prime or he already passed it. (most likely the first one.) but no way parker can get better than he was in 2007/2008

DirkISaCocLuvinPuSSy
08-14-2010, 01:56 AM
if were winning or tp is balling the spurs resign him before the trading dl if not they probably move him or do a s+t during off season. btw that guys right espn put catchy headlines to get you to pay for sum boo boo, why pay when they got hundred of tv and radio outlets putting the good stuff for free unless u count ur cable bill.

Bruno
08-14-2010, 02:02 AM
It's way too soon to talk about the 2011 offseason. A lot of basketball will be played before it and a new CBA has even to be signed. Saying something relevant about the 2011 FA is impossible at this point. Making wild guesses is the best you can do right now.

jason1301
08-14-2010, 02:04 AM
hahahahaha how old do you think Parker is?!? he's already 28! so either he already hit his prime or he already passed it. (most likely the first one.) but no way parker can get better than he was in 2007/2008

i agree, Parker turned pro when he was 15, that's a lot of minutes under his belt. He is an old 28, take away his speed and he is a mediocre PG.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-14-2010, 02:14 AM
i agree, Parker turned pro when he was 15, that's a lot of minutes under his belt. He is an old 28, take away his speed and he is a mediocre PG.

Sad to say it, but I agree with that. Parker's body has also taken a pounding over the years from all the times he's hit the floor or been beaten on by gorillas underneath the rim.

I think TP has still got a season or two of near-peak performance in him, but wouldn't be surprised if he declines rapidly post-30.

ehz33satx
08-14-2010, 02:18 AM

Why can't he get better? John Stockton got better as he got older. Him and Malone pick and rolled you to death till they were geezers! Why should Tony and Blair or Splitter not do the same here in the near future after Duncan retires?

Man In Black
08-14-2010, 02:30 AM
TP has to become so deadly a passer, or at least more effective a passer so his game won't be over-reliant on just his speed. His jump-shot is looking really good, and he has some guile to him but he doesn't use it too much because his speed is his primary weapon. It's a tough adjustment but I'm game if the Spurs give TP a chance.

The Btown Spur
08-14-2010, 02:48 AM
The article is basically stating that since hornets will likely try to keep Paul the Knicks will try to go after parker. nothin we havent already heard. And way to early to tell what Tony wants to do

Leonard Curse
08-14-2010, 04:41 AM
ok Theres my Cue !!haha he is an amazing player but like he said hes not signing any extension fellas! and said he wanted to test free agency no matter what this summer. this is all out there just look it up. doesnt this piss you SPURS fans off? thats the only reason why i say pop needs to learn from his same old mistakes, and get a future allstar or a great prospect on the rise for tony.

right now we can get so many good players you watch well look back on this thread and curse that we didnt get at least batnum/aldridge anybody that can be a hell of a player down the road. does anyone know how the spurs are when trading actual allstars have we ever traded any good players out of here (spurs good) malik i guess i just want to know what are chances of getting something in return thats all

Leonard Curse
08-14-2010, 04:48 AM
Parker past his prime?? Are you kidding me? He probably won't hit his prime till he's 28 or 29.

agree. how people believe this is beyond me just look at nash. pg's can stay forever but i think parker will eventually go out very fast due to his constant and i mean constant falling that wears all sorts of cartilage getting up falling on it stopping on a dime, when hes on oh man hes intense wish he would stay with us. i hope he has a change of heart or the cba scares him into an extension

galvatron3000
08-14-2010, 08:38 AM
my guess is the 2011 season will be a locked out one. there is a possibility it won't happen but I won't hold my breath either.

DPG21920
08-14-2010, 08:41 AM
:lol So I was correct. They are claiming the moves the Hornets are making clear the way for TP to NY. That is just wild, unrelated speculation.

Harry Callahan
08-14-2010, 11:00 AM
The Knicks will be a very mediocre team next year WITH Stoudamire. The cap space they get back with Curry's expiring does not equate to what Tony Parker is making this year with San Antonio - I think TP will pull down $12-13MM in 2010.

The Knicks already have a starting point guard in Felton - slightly above average, but still a starter.

The Knicks have to switch picks with Houston next year in the draft and give up a #1 the following year as well - that was done to sign Lebron James and not a gimpy Amare, which ended up happening.

The Knicks are a mess. If Parker thinks his presence will make the Knicks a top notch squad, he is dreaming. I think the Spurs younger players have potential, actually. And SA has their #1 picks the next two years.

I wouldn't mind Parker playing his entire career in San Antonio, but I'm not sure that he wants to do that. If he refuses to sign an extension before hitting free agency, that makes it less likely he stays here.

The Spurs have benefited greatly from Tony's best years. I'm a little concerned about Parker's effectiveness when he loses that fifth gear he has today. He's not a good enough spot up shooter to offset any loss of quickness.

I don't believe Tony is a max level player. The Spurs can offer more years and money, but I'm not sure they will want to do that. It's a really tough call IMO.

The uncertainty of the CBA is also a factor in what teams can and will offer.

I wouldn't want to bet on TP being here next year, but I would not be surprised either way.

Josepatches_
08-14-2010, 12:06 PM
(recent examples of players who used athletic ability to dominate and then slowed down: Vince Carter, Allen Iverson, Baron Davis, etc.).

True.
And they had/have a better JS with longer range so he could survive better than TP.

TP isn't going to play this summer but I'm sure he's not going to be at 100% anyway.His body is near the limit and he's going to have more and more issues every year like some of those players you name.

Lukor
08-14-2010, 12:29 PM
True.
And they had/have a better JS with longer range so he could survive better than TP.

TP isn't going to play this summer but I'm sure he's not going to be at 100% anyway.His body is near the limit and he's going to have more and more issues every year like some of those players you name.

TP really likes to attack the rim. Those player usually wear down faster because the take more hits than pure jump shooters. Plus he has played a lot of minutes the last couple years. He may have peaked already but he should have a better season next year.

Dex
08-14-2010, 12:33 PM
Dooomz thread!

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh288/krispos42/Animated/oh-noes-everybody-panic.gif

ohmwrecker
08-14-2010, 01:46 PM
Actually smartass it was an "extend tony thread" but read into it what you will.

I was talking about what it will potentially become . . .

The Spurs will offer Tony an extension around the deadline just like they did with Manu last season. If the team is gelling, playing well and looking like they can maintain that for a couple of years, I think Tony will re-sign. If not . . . trade him, or don't, it doesn't matter.
Until that happens, all this talk is just a distraction. Tony is primed to have a really productive year. Let the chips fall where they may.

Cane
08-14-2010, 02:23 PM
I agree with the ESPN article. According to David Aldridge and a recent Sports Illustrated article Tony Parker's already declined contract extension talks and if thats true thats just further icing on the cake. The only realistic way I see him staying with the Spurs is if he has another 09-10 season and no one offers him a better contract. Spurs won't offer him anything near a Joe Johnson deal (nor should they) and if the Knicks can fit Melo, Amar'e, and Parker on the same roster... :wow and it'd be hard to fault anyone for going to NY with that kind of roster and more of a player's coach in D'Antoni.

ceperez
08-15-2010, 07:51 AM
I agree with the ESPN article. According to David Aldridge and a recent Sports Illustrated article Tony Parker's already declined contract extension talks and if thats true thats just further icing on the cake. The only realistic way I see him staying with the Spurs is if he has another 09-10 season and no one offers him a better contract. Spurs won't offer him anything near a Joe Johnson deal (nor should they) and if the Knicks can fit Melo, Amar'e, and Parker on the same roster... :wow and it'd be hard to fault anyone for going to NY with that kind of roster and more of a player's coach in D'Antoni.

parker is a good player.

but he craves the limelight that new york brings.

spurs shoukd trade him while his value is highest.

do theknicks right now have anything of value?

quentin_compson
08-15-2010, 08:06 AM
parker is a good player.

but he craves the limelight that new york brings.

spurs shoukd trade him while his value is highest.

do theknicks right now have anything of value?

So you're implying that TP's value is the highest it's ever been right now?

You cannot be serious ...

K-State Spur
08-15-2010, 09:19 AM

I think Parker's got another 3-4 years where he can play at a premium level - but it's very conceivable that we have already seen his best.

To quote my favorite movie character - It's not the years, it's the mileage.

DrSteffo
08-15-2010, 11:05 AM
Re-sign him for the max or slightly below that.

Pauleta14
08-15-2010, 11:08 AM
The thing you all seem to forget or don't understand is that Tony has ALWAYS improved his game, ALWAYS, since he came in the league.
But his speed hasn't!!!
During his best year (2008-2009) he wasn't as fast as his first years in the league! (for those who remember)

As good as he has been/he is, he still has room for improvement and THAT is what is impressive...
His playmaking has really improved, his court vision also and he knows the spurs system better than anyone...
I don't understand why you think that he suddenly will stop improving, suddenly become stupid, lazy or whatever...

His speed has alowed him to have playing time DESPITE all his weaknesses at the PG position, now that he is getting better year after year, losing some speed won't hurt him as much as you seem to think.

Who could have guessed that he would get such a reliable mid range jumpshot?
What if the same happens with the 3pt shot? :wow

I defenitely think that IF he keeps the same work ethic, HE WILL ONLY GET BETTER...

Indazone
08-15-2010, 02:27 PM
And now the Knicks are saying they can have TP if they want him.

With Darren Collison now a member of the Indiana Pacers, it appears that the Hornets won't be moving Chris Paul anytime soon. Because of this, Knicks fans have already turned their attention to either another star, Carmelo Anthony, or another stud point guard, Tony Parker. The Knicks will make Anthony their priority next summer but the team, according to one source, "will have Parker if they want him." Tony loves the situation in New York and, similar to Anthony, has already begun expressing interest in the destination to those in his inner circle.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=17083

Basketball Power
08-15-2010, 03:30 PM
And now the Knicks are saying they can have TP if they want him.

With Darren Collison now a member of the Indiana Pacers, it appears that the Hornets won't be moving Chris Paul anytime soon. Because of this, Knicks fans have already turned their attention to either another star, Carmelo Anthony, or another stud point guard, Tony Parker. The Knicks will make Anthony their priority next summer but the team, according to one source, "will have Parker if they want him." Tony loves the situation in New York and, similar to Anthony, has already begun expressing interest in the destination to those in his inner circle.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=17083

and people think Parker will sign an extension with the Spurs? LMAO

Spurs need to trade him and get an all star in return

DPG21920
08-15-2010, 03:35 PM
If everyone knows he is going to leave, why would someone give up an all-star for him?

El Wray
08-15-2010, 03:37 PM
and people think Parker will sign an extension with the Spurs? LMAO

Spurs need to trade him and get an all star in return

Such as?

ducks
08-15-2010, 04:38 PM
parker is just exployer his options
he knows it is a business

heck spurs won it all and still went after kidd

tp learned it was a business then
he also knows he had a bad year
I doubt spurs have offered an extension to tp yet
they want to make sure he is healthy just like manu last year
I think spurs will make a fair offer after 20-30 games tp plays well just like manu

ducks
08-15-2010, 04:39 PM
spurs will do a sign and trade if tp leaves
but unless tp agrees to an extension ahead of time with the team spurs are not going to get an allstar in return if they trade him before the trade dealine

Obstructed_View
08-15-2010, 05:29 PM
parker is just exployer his options

Hi, dummy.

ducks
08-15-2010, 06:40 PM
hi smarty

wontstartdumbthreads
08-16-2010, 02:19 PM
Parker's path to the Knicks

1:43PM ET
Tony Parker | Spurs (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=sas)

http://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/nba/players/65/1015.jpg (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=1015)Recent moves could lead to Parker signing with New York.
Subscribe to Insider for as low as $2.50/month to access the complete rumor http://a.espncdn.com/icons/in.gif (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors?&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2ffeatures%2frumors#TOP)

Unfortunately i do not have ESPN Insider so i don't know the depth of the article. If anyone here does have access to it let us know what it says. In my oppinion it would be devestating to see Tony head to New York next summer with the Spurs getting nothing in return.

Please RC ink Tony to an extention so we don't lose him for nothing next summer!

If that can't be done trade him for someone to help us get another title before TD sails off into the sunset. We can't lose somone like Tony for nothing in these next few precious years of TD's career:depressed

Anybody have any good trade scenarios so we can get rid of TP before we get nothing in return? I wish Chris Paul was on the Knicks...

beachwood
08-16-2010, 02:43 PM

I tend to agree with this. Under normal circumstances, players tend to peak in the 28-30 range, but Parker has so much mileage on him already that I'd say he peaked a few years ago. I'd be surprised if he got back to '07 levels of play. He'll still be a top 10 point guard though.

the only thing that would help Parker now is to develop an outside game. His speed will only decrease from here on out.

cantthinkofanything
08-16-2010, 03:03 PM
take away his speed and he is a mediocre PG.

Take away his speed and he's not even a starting point guard.