PDA

View Full Version : Obama supports Mosque near ground zero...

Pages : [1] 2

fraga
08-14-2010, 10:02 AM
Right wingers rejoice. (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100814/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_ground_zero_mosque_obama)

http://www.mediacircus.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/obama_terrorist.gif

Sec24Row7
08-14-2010, 10:10 AM
What an idiot...

jack sommerset
08-14-2010, 10:13 AM
LoL.

Spurminator
08-14-2010, 10:34 AM
Good.

Great comments below the article, BTW.

Marcus Bryant
08-14-2010, 10:39 AM
President caught affirming existence of constitutional rights. More news @11.

fraga
08-14-2010, 10:40 AM
I for one welcome our new Muslim overlord...

Viva Las Espuelas
08-14-2010, 12:36 PM
And the chance of him being re-elected goes down more and more with every blissful day. Many of my friends have said they won't. Praise Allah

ChumpDumper
08-14-2010, 12:37 PM
I'm not surprised so many here are against freedom of religion.

jack sommerset
08-14-2010, 01:43 PM
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil"

Marcus Bryant
08-14-2010, 02:22 PM

So when do we execute you?

SnakeBoy
08-14-2010, 02:25 PM
What an idiot...

This.

fraga
08-14-2010, 02:31 PM

How dare you speak the truth...people don't want to hear that crap...we need conspiracy theories people...

Marcus Bryant
08-14-2010, 02:37 PM
Hey, the country's going bankrupt.

Bender
08-14-2010, 02:45 PM
What an idiot...
obama or the thread starter?

MaNuMaNiAc
08-14-2010, 02:46 PM

so muslims are evil now?

I'm beginning to think people need to start curtailing Catholic's right to worship as well. God knows they've done plenty of fucked up shit over the years.

some people's right to post stupid shit in forums might be a good idea as well.

boutons_deux
08-14-2010, 03:04 PM
http://www.jihadwatch.org/

This guy is very eloquent, shows how badly American English has deteriorated, and along with it American dumbed down conceptualization and public discourse:

http://www.jihadwatch.org/2010/06/pat-condell-on-ground-zero-mosque-is-it-possible-to-be-astonished-but-not-surprised.html

The situation is very complex, duh. One the one hand, freedom of religion is American, but intolerance isn't.

The obeservation that the Muslim religion isn't tolerant, or even a religion, can equally be applied to the evangelical, militant, intoleratn fringe of "Christian" supremacist theocrats.

EmptyMan
08-14-2010, 03:07 PM

You know it is not about that.

...but common sense and respect for those who lost their lives and loved ones gives sensible reason to build the mosque someplace else."

Spurminator
08-14-2010, 03:08 PM
Yes it is.

EmptyMan
08-14-2010, 03:10 PM
Nope.

Marcus Bryant
08-14-2010, 03:10 PM
"Bigots"? eh, BFD.

Now 'hypocritical' when it comes to revering the constitution, sure.

EmptyMan
08-14-2010, 03:12 PM
There is no question the Muslims have the right. No doubt. It's private property. They have every right to tell every single person in the world to GFthemselves.

We all know it is a dick move. Just as Obama does. That's why he gives you the generic answer that they have the right.

Sec24Row7
08-14-2010, 03:39 PM
What an idiot...

Not because he is wrong constitutionally...

But for putting a ball up on a T for congressional Republicans to knock out of the park in their district races...

What an idiot.

MaNuMaNiAc
08-14-2010, 03:43 PM
There is no question the Muslims have the right. No doubt. It's private property. They have every right to tell every single person in the world to GFthemselves.

We all know it is a dick move. Just as Obama does. That's why he gives you the generic answer that they have the right.

no, you assume its a dick move to provoke. Which doesn't give you the right to demand they do it somewhere else. You ARE right though, they have every right to tell you to shut the fuck up.

EmptyMan
08-14-2010, 03:49 PM
3,000 Lives lost. Two of the greatest buildings in the country collapse to rubble. Mothers and Fathers jumping. out. of. windows.

9 years later Feisal Abdul Rauf, with the comments he has publicly made, aims to build a $100 million Mosque in the shadow of Ground Zero. This isn't a case of being a "progressive" enough country with our infinite white guilt greedy American imperialist selves shining through to feel the need to be understanding of all things in the world around us.

Most Americans, not bigots, Americans...are just saying "Really?" You couldn't move it down a few miles?

EmptyMan
08-14-2010, 03:50 PM
no, you assume its a dick move to provoke. Which doesn't give you the right to demand they do it somewhere else. You ARE right though, they have every right to tell you to shut the fuck up.

I'm not demanding. :lol Who demands? lol There is nothing to demand. I said nothing of their intention being to provoke. The opinion of a South American on the topic really moves me though. (no argie hate)

Spurminator
08-14-2010, 03:57 PM
3,000 Lives lost. Two of the greatest buildings in the country collapse to rubble. Mothers and Fathers jumping. out. of. windows.

That's a touching illustration but what does it have to do with the Muslims who would be coming to this mosque?

MannyIsGod
08-14-2010, 04:01 PM

9 years later Feisal Abdul Rauf, with the comments he has publicly made, aims to build a $100 million Mosque in the shadow of Ground Zero. This isn't a case of being a "progressive" enough country with our infinite white guilt greedy American imperialist selves shining through to feel the need to be understanding of all things in the world around us.

Most Americans, not bigots, Americans...are just saying "Really?" You couldn't move it down a few miles?

Most Americans are also too stupid to see why building the mosque there is exactly the right thing to do if you want to prove you're a tolerant society.

EmptyMan
08-14-2010, 04:01 PM
It's funny that Obama gets to tell us all the obvious, act like it is an actual position, and then say "but hey, I'm just telling you all this is how I feel on the subject"

Whammmmmi!, full circle.

EmptyMan
08-14-2010, 04:03 PM
Most Americans are also too stupid to see why building the mosque there is exactly the right thing to do if you want to prove you're a tolerant society.

No doubt an arguable point, but Feisal Abdul Rauf's comments muddy the waters a tad bit. Ultimately, New York does what New York do. Whatever. They need the property tax anyways.

LOL @ America's never ending manufactured quest to be seen as uber-tolerant by foreigners all around the world. :rollin

Ignignokt
08-14-2010, 04:06 PM

I could give a shit about tolerance, i'm more concerned about individual rights.

I don't support a ban on building a Mosque, but I wont sit here and act coy and not think that the mosque is an affront to the victims families.

MannyIsGod
08-14-2010, 04:06 PM
No doubt an arguable point, but Feisal Abdul Rauf's comments muddy the waters a tad bit.

LOL @ America's never ending manufactured quest to be seen as uber-tolerant by foreigners all around the world. :rollin

Manufactured quest? WTF does that even mean?

If his mission is to strike a disservice (by no means do I accept this) to those who died on that day then do you not simply allow him to accomplish that by not rising above it?

I don't understand the thoughts behind people who are upset someone is trying to offended them and then act offended.

You know, maybe the truth is that Americans just don't realize how to deal with trolls any better than Koriwhat.

MannyIsGod
08-14-2010, 04:08 PM
I could give a shit about tolerance, i'm more concerned about individual rights.

I don't support a ban on building a Mosque, but I wont sit here and act coy and not think that the mosque is an affront to the victims families.

Its an affront to some of the familys but don't act like its an affront to all of them. But I don't see why thats even the point.

Is there anything out there that doesn't offend someone?

Ignignokt
08-14-2010, 04:09 PM
Who do we have to prove we're tolerant to??

The people who ban burqas in public institutions like France?

The people who deport and ban people for speech crimes like Britian?

The Arab population you're suggesting we should prove to who don't come with in a sniff of our concept of freedoms, tolerance, and individual rights, the beacon of a free society that has been the shining example for the world?

Fuck that. Why must you require a shopkeeper to proves his fiscal responsibility to a beggar?

This kind of multicultural pseudo tolerance is accomplishes the opposite of what it intends to do.

Ignignokt
08-14-2010, 04:11 PM
Is there anything out there that doesn't offend someone?

I don't think the Taco bell chihuaha offends me to the same point like the mosque does to certain americans and the 911 families.

I don't think you're trying to lump all offenses as relative are you??

MannyIsGod
08-14-2010, 04:12 PM
How about ourselves? We either obey our own laws and live up to the image we LOVE to give ourselves of our nation or we don't.

I mean you obviously don't support denying them the right to build thee so then why are you posting in a thread backing up those who are tearing down the president for basically saying that they have a right to build there?

Fine, if you don't want to prove tolerance to anyone then I guess I don't really care as long as we're upholding the laws we are supposed to stand by.

MannyIsGod
08-14-2010, 04:13 PM
I don't think the Taco bell chihuaha offends me to the same point like the mosque does to certain americans and the 911 families.

I don't think you're trying to lump all offenses as relative are you??

I'm trying to point out I don't see the relevance of anyone being offended by this. I get that some people are butt hurt over this but so what?

What exactly does it change?

Ignignokt
08-14-2010, 04:15 PM
How about ourselves? We either obey our own laws and live up to the image we LOVE to give ourselves of our nation or we don't.

I mean you obviously don't support denying them the right to build thee so then why are you posting in a thread backing up those who are tearing down the president for basically saying that they have a right to build there?

Fine, if you don't want to prove tolerance to anyone then I guess I don't really care as long as we're upholding the laws we are supposed to stand by.

Because the president repeats the lie that Islam holds the believer and infidel to the same level when it comes to legal disputes, when the Koran at best is contradictory on that point, and at worst supports the Islamist right to decieve and defraud the infidel.

It's his whole bullshit of multicultural tolerance that was lumped in with individual rights, which is sickening.

MannyIsGod
08-14-2010, 04:17 PM
Oh, so its the religion that bothers you. I can see now why the tolerance angle was not for you.

Ignignokt
08-14-2010, 04:18 PM
I'm trying to point out I don't see the relevance of anyone being offended by this. I get that some people are butt hurt over this but so what?

What exactly does it change?

Shit manny,

I guess becuase we have a society of individual rights and free speech, no one should ever voice their conflicting oppinion because of that.

I guess there's no point in a friend of mine ever coming to me for advice, we live in a free country, I must sanction his stupidity by being silent.

Spurminator
08-14-2010, 04:18 PM
No doubt an arguable point, but Feisal Abdul Rauf's comments muddy the waters a tad bit. Ultimately, New York does what New York do. Whatever. They need the property tax anyways.

I don't give a shit how we're seen, I care how we are. We ain't looking so hot right now anyway.

Ignignokt
08-14-2010, 04:19 PM
my apologies.

I don't mean that you're shit.

I meant it as Shit! MAnny..

LOL!

Ignignokt
08-14-2010, 04:20 PM
I don't give a shit how we're seen, I care how we are. We ain't looking so hot right now anyway.

Wha?

Ignignokt

If it's by people who are relativist and have a floating morality, i could give a shit.

MannyIsGod
Shit manny,

I guess becuase we have a society of individual rights and free speech, no one should ever voice their conflicting oppinion because of that.

I guess there's no point in a friend of mine ever coming to me for advice, we live in a free country, I must sanction his stupidity by being silent.

This isn't about voicing opinions. This is about people being upset the president won't step in and stop this or speak out against those rights.

MannyIsGod
08-14-2010, 04:22 PM
Anyway, the dead horse is beat. The Mosque is going up, some people will be upset, some won't care, and the LA Galaxy are about to beat the shit out of the NY Red Bulls. I care more about the latter. Way more.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
08-14-2010, 04:30 PM
That mosque is going to take forever to build now that it's hit the MSM.

Union boys are not going to play nice.

Wouldn't be surprised if St. Nicholas is finished long before the CH.

Chomag
08-14-2010, 04:33 PM

This is how a feel. Of course people have the right to be a dick, but that doesn't make it less of a dick move.

Just becuase it's a right doesnt mean you have to be one.

Marcus Bryant
08-14-2010, 04:39 PM
Re: 'tolerance'

The Constitution requires no such thing.

SnakeBoy
08-14-2010, 04:39 PM
I guess I don't really care as long as we're upholding the laws we are supposed to stand by.

I don't see any reason to bring illegal immigration into this topic.

boutons_deux
08-14-2010, 05:28 PM
Re: 'tolerance'

The Constitution requires no such thing.

freedom of speech, religion, association requires that those freedoms be tolerated.

Marcus Bryant
08-14-2010, 05:55 PM
Tolerance is an attitude and nothing more.

CubanMustGo
08-14-2010, 06:09 PM
Obama supports freedom of worship, not "Mosque near ground zero."

The rest of this is spin.

DJ Mbenga
08-14-2010, 06:42 PM
cant blame obama for going this way. you can pick and in between with this issue. people will go nuts. gotta be one or the other, so obliviously he went with the freedom of religion thing. personally i dont think you can stop them from building that mosque there without ignoring the religious freedom principles, however it is puzzling they chose that spot to build it. in short i dont support the mosque there in fact it makes me a lil mad, but you cant take their right away to do it.
i think somebody is going to take action in their own hands and expect something to happen violently TO that mosque.

Ignignokt
08-14-2010, 06:49 PM

bullshit, he sugarcoated the meaning of the mosque being built there and lied through his teeth about the egalitarian doctrines of islam.:rolleyes.

He further committed an error by further contributing the public's ignorance on the concept of individual rights by focusing less on private property, instead he made it a display about religous tolerance, not only that we have to "like" the Mosque's builders gesture, but that tolerance is an American duty.

This president has shown that he has disdain for American philosphical tradition.

In essence, I side with him on the owners right to that land, but his message and his defense of it was despicable.

Wild Cobra
08-14-2010, 09:44 PM
Did you mean more news at 9:11?

Wild Cobra
08-14-2010, 09:47 PM
so muslims are evil now?

I'm beginning to think people need to start curtailing Catholic's right to worship as well. God knows they've done plenty of fucked up shit over the years.

some people's right to post stupid shit in forums might be a good idea as well.
Well, two things bother me. First of, the Orthodox church that was destroyed when the towers came down cannot get permission to rebuild. The second is that the leader of the new mosque is an avid promoter of Sharia law.

You would think that the other church has dibbs on rebuilding.

Oh, Gee!!
08-14-2010, 09:53 PM
"Really?" You couldn't move it down a few miles?

no, but that's probably cause the people proposing and building the mosque own the land there, near ground zero, and not the land a few miles away. It's not like one can tear up an acre lot and move it down the road a few miles to some empty vacuum where no land already exists.

you neighbors are probably like: really, dumbfuck? why can't you move your house and lot a couple miles down the road? really? why couldn't you move somewhere else? really? why did you have to move this neighborhood?

George Gervin's Afro
08-14-2010, 10:02 PM
Damn rule of law....damn you obama

George Gervin's Afro
08-14-2010, 10:04 PM
Well, two things bother me. First of, the Orthodox church that was destroyed when the towers came down cannot get permission to rebuild. The second is that the leader of the new mosque is an avid promoter of Sharia law.

So he likes sharia law....who cares

Wild Cobra
08-14-2010, 10:11 PM
So he likes sharia law....who cares
Just how is sharia pronounced anyway? For years before hearing it in the news, I always heard it pronounced with the "a" being a second vowel, making the "I" long. A two syllable word, not three.

shu-rye

Marcus Bryant
08-14-2010, 10:19 PM
What a bullshit non-issue made out to be something more. If this was a Catholic cathedral nobody would give a shit. And, it's probably not a good idea to add to the 'living Constitution' the idea that community reaction can circumscribe religious freedom.

Hey, the country's going bankrupt and you're worried about something this fucking stupid. Fuck you.

ElNono
08-14-2010, 10:45 PM
What a bullshit non-issue made out to be something more. If this was a Catholic cathedral nobody would give a shit. And, it's probably not a good idea to add to the 'living Constitution' the idea that community reaction can circumscribe religious freedom.

Hey, the country's going bankrupt and you're worried about something this fucking stupid. Fuck you.

How dare you? This is Important(tm).

Ignignokt
08-14-2010, 11:32 PM

We can't do anything about that till november anyway.

We have enough free time to spew shit about this PC bullshit in NYC.

ChumpDumper
08-15-2010, 02:35 AM

You would think that the other church has dibbs on rebuilding.The Orthodox church can be rebuilt on its original site at any time.

John Terry
08-15-2010, 03:12 AM
He's Barrack HUSSEIN Obama, after all.

John Terry
08-15-2010, 03:12 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/15/us/politics/15reaction.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/14/obamas-ground-zero-mosque_n_682377.html

John Terry
08-15-2010, 03:15 AM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5ii6VxJyJghV_KkX1rS4pJCiRMUUA

and that was the first time in his life to get marinated in sea water, I suppose, even though he was born in "Hawaii"...

ChumpDumper
08-15-2010, 03:54 AM
and that was the first time in his life to get marinated in sea water, I supposeWhy do you suppose that?
even though he was born in "Hawaii"...Where do you think he was born?

Stringer_Bell
08-15-2010, 04:04 AM

This. The whole issue, regardless if building the $100,000,000 mosque is the "right" thing to do, is showing a lot of hypocrisy which itself could be the work of the media and maybe most Americans don't feel as strongly one way or another. The critics are so quick to sensationalize to get knee-jerk reactions out of readers, but it's nothing new.

I'm more offended that OBL has managed to dodge us for so long, and that 9/11 was used as a pre-text for 2 wars that have cost us many resources and lives while giving us nothing in return. The 9/11 families need justice, and our country needs to pursue the masterminds, not a religion.

Stringer_Bell
08-15-2010, 04:05 AM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5ii6VxJyJghV_KkX1rS4pJCiRMUUA

and that was the first time in his life to get marinated in sea water, I suppose, even though he was born in "Hawaii"...

Where in the article does it say it was the first time he was in sea water? Just curious...

fraga
08-15-2010, 08:28 AM
Oh dear god...someone on Fox actually agrees with the president...what the hell is going on here...

F5F-3OTxdKk

boutons_deux
08-15-2010, 10:32 AM
"Sponsors of the proposed mosque near Ground Zero are not slamming the door on Gov. Paterson's idea to build the center someplace else.

"We are open to a conversation to find out more on what the governor has in mind," "

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/08/13/2010-08-13_we_can_talk_about_move_sez_mosque.html

Red Hawk #21
08-15-2010, 11:03 AM
Great going Obama. Talk about pouring salt on wounds.

boutons_deux
08-15-2010, 12:54 PM
Gingrich, Bolton, Breitbart Team Up With Far-Right Muslim-Basher Geert Wilders For 9/11 Rally

http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/geert-wilders1.jpg

confirmed list of speakers includes former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich, former U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations John Bolton, Andrew Breitbart, and, notably, the far-right Dutch Parliamentarian Geert Wilders. “Islam is not a religion, it’s an ideology,” Wilders told the Guardian in 2009, “the ideology of a retarded culture.”

http://thinkprogress.org/2010/08/15/911-islamophobia-rally/

Wilders dyes his hair blond as a signal that he's a true Aryan.

Jean-Marie le Pen/Franch National Front used to do the same:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/eb/Jean-Marie_Le_Pen_479834203_5030701e77_o.jpg/225px-Jean-Marie_Le_Pen_479834203_5030701e77_o.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Marie_Le_Pen

France has about 6M Muslims (from the North African former colonies, Tunisia, Algeria, Morocco), out total population of 60M.

fraga
08-15-2010, 01:03 PM
Yes one of the largest and oldest religions in the WORLD is in fact not a religion...good thing this guy just figured this out...

Capt Bringdown
08-15-2010, 08:46 PM
1. Since the proposed site for the Park51 worship space is 2 blocks away from Ground Zero, why do you keep calling it the “Ground Zero Mosque”?

2. What precisely is an acceptable distance from the former site of the World Trade Center for Muslims to practice their religion? (Terms like “so close” or “in the shadow of” or “steps away” are obviously subjective.)

3. Is there a difference between violent Islamic extremists and mainstream Muslims?

4. If your answer to #3 is “yes,” why is there an objection to Muslims practicing their religion in Lower Manhattan?

5. Since Muslims have been holding religious services at Park51 for over a year, should they be stopped?

6. As Park51 is private property, are you in favor of the government regulating how the space is utilized?

boutons_deux
08-15-2010, 09:01 PM
"keep calling it the “Ground Zero Mosque”?

It's Repug campaign wedge issue, to split off and inflame their asshole base from intelligent people.

As are illegal immigration, 10thers, birthers, 14thers, terrorists fistbumps, etc, etc.

Repugs lack any substantive suggestions, no policy proposals, it's All No All The Time, rouse the rabble, herd the sheeple in Flocks of Mass Ignorance, demagogue the bubbas, red-staters, and similar ilk. Red herrings, non sequiturs, false flags.

yawn, same old shit from the Repugs for 20 years, and it's getting worse. Gays, guns, God

Wake me up with the Repugs go against Wall St, oil/gas/coal, BigPharma, etc.

DJ Mbenga
08-15-2010, 09:13 PM
Oh dear god...someone on Fox actually agrees with the president...what the hell is going on here...

F5F-3OTxdKk

are they unemployed yet?

4>0rings
08-15-2010, 09:41 PM
I hope they build it and someone suicide bombs it.

Chomag
08-15-2010, 09:57 PM
"keep calling it the “Ground Zero Mosque”?

It's Repug campaign wedge issue, to split off and inflame their asshole base from intelligent people.

As are illegal immigration, 10thers, birthers, 14thers, terrorists fistbumps, etc, etc.

Repugs lack any substantive suggestions, no policy proposals, it's All No All The Time, rouse the rabble, herd the sheeple in Flocks of Mass Ignorance, demagogue the bubbas, red-staters, and similar ilk. Red herrings, non sequiturs, false flags.

yawn, same old shit from the Repugs for 20 years, and it's getting worse. Gays, guns, God

Wake me up with the Repugs go against Wall St, oil/gas/coal, BigPharma, etc.

"You done smoked yourself retarded." - Dave Chappelle

jack sommerset
08-16-2010, 10:09 AM
Muslim terrorist agree with the prez.

A Hamas leader says Muslims "have to build" a mosque near ground zero.

Mahmoud al-Zahar said Muslims "have to build everywhere" so that followers can pray, just like Christians and Jews build their places of worship.

Al-Zahar spoke Sunday on "Aaron Klein Investigative Radio" on WABC-AM. He is a co-founder of Hamas and its chief on the Gaza Strip.

Sen. Chuck Schumer says Al-Zahar's comments don't carry any weight because Hamas is a terrorist organization. Schumer hasn't taken a stand on the mosque.

Rep. Peter King, who opposes the mosque, says he won't respond to Hamas.

The mosque is a project of the Cordoba Initiative, an advocacy group that promotes improved relations between Islam and the West. It didn't respond to Al-Zahar's comments.

boutons_deux
08-16-2010, 10:15 AM
Lots of racists, "Christian" supremacists/theorcrats, "sovereign citizens", murderous militiamen, Whatever Keepers, and other assorted ignorant assholes vote Repug.

ChumpDumper
08-16-2010, 12:40 PM
Muslim terrorist agree with the prez."Muslim terrorist agree" [sic] with freedom of religion?

Link.

boutons_deux
08-16-2010, 12:51 PM
The ignorant, out-of-his-depth Cornyn was quoted on TV as saying the mosque would be "in" the WTC. :lol

Like border security, deficits, anchor babies, gay marraige, birth certs, Social Security, Michele Spain vacation, etc, etc, the mosque faux affair is nothing but Repug campaign bullshit.

The Repugs totally lack any substance, policy, proposed solutions. They are pure bullshit, bad-faith politics, unadultereated by any desire to govern or help the country in any way.

CuckingFunt
08-16-2010, 01:02 PM
This whole argument is stupid. There are already mosques and Islamic cultural centers in the area, yet the world has somehow not imploded. If people want to be outraged about something related to the WTC site, it should be that almost nine years after the attack it's still a big hole of nothingness. A giant, undressed, open wound.

fraga
08-16-2010, 01:22 PM
This whole argument is stupid. There are already mosques and Islamic cultural centers in the area, yet the world has somehow not imploded. If people want to be outraged about something related to the WTC site, it should be that almost nine years after the attack it's still a big hole of nothingness. A giant, undressed, open wound.

Word!!!

boutons_deux
08-16-2010, 01:32 PM
"A giant, undressed, open wound."

there was the delay from the big battle with the WTC owner and his insurance company about whether there was one attack or two attacks (and double insurance payout).

When I was there in June 06, it wasn't a disaster site or a gaping, it was a huge construction site, like anywhere else.

DarrinS
08-16-2010, 02:15 PM
"A giant, undressed, open wound."

there was the delay from the big battle with the WTC owner and his insurance company about whether there was one attack or two attacks (and double insurance payout).

When I was there in June 06, it wasn't a disaster site or a gaping, it was a huge construction site, like anywhere else.

It's just like anywhere else. Yep.

boutons_deux
08-16-2010, 02:17 PM
dubya's IRAQ is "a giant, undressed, open wound."

ChumpDumper
08-16-2010, 02:26 PM
At least they have One WTC underway. It does just look like a huge construction site, except for the context provided by the footprints of the original towers.

jack sommerset
08-16-2010, 04:09 PM

Like cuntfucker, it's not like such a stupid conversation. You should totally look up the man behind this like charade. I mean like duh. Why do so many grodie americans disagree with you, I mean there is like 70 percent that disagree with you. You should take a chill pill because your take is gaging me with a spoon. I just want to barf. But whatever!

jack sommerset
08-16-2010, 04:10 PM
Harry Reid for political purpose disagrees with Barry and thinks the mosque should be built somewhere else.

Stringer_Bell
08-16-2010, 04:23 PM

Yea, this was strange to me considering it's taken so long to get something done.

boutons_deux
08-16-2010, 04:24 PM
Ground Zero Mosque is the new Death Panels, or Gay Marriage, or Taking Over Health Care.

Jack and other fucktard American sheeple fall for right-wing lies every damn time. :lol

rjv
08-16-2010, 04:26 PM

tell that to the mexicans.

fraga
08-16-2010, 04:26 PM
What it boils down to...it's not opinion that's being upheld...it's the Constitution...just as any skinhead who wants to put on a rally and declare his white superiority...the Freedom of Speech gives him the right to do that...I may not agree with it personally...but that's my opinion...as in this case it's Freedom of Religion...you can't just pick and choose what parts of the Constitution you like...you either uphold all of it...or none of it...

xrayzebra
08-16-2010, 04:40 PM
What it boils down to...it's not opinion that's being upheld...it's the Constitution...just as any skinhead who wants to put on a rally and declare his white superiority...the Freedom of Speech gives him the right to do that...I may not agree with it personally...but that's my opinion...as in this case it's Freedom of Religion...you can't just pick and choose what parts of the Constitution you like...you either uphold all of it...or none of it...

Really, wonder if Obama and his little darlings like Boutons know that?

Like when he takes over businesses, fires CEO's and takes over all
student loans......

boutons_deux
08-16-2010, 04:52 PM
"takes over businesses"

they were bankrupt

"fires CEOs"

they were in charge when their companies went bankrupt

"student loans"

dubya "privatized" student lending by donating it to private banks, a licensed franchise to suck money out of students, banks that charged far more than the US govt, and whose loans to students to were guaranteed by taxpayers. lose-lose-lose-lose.

fraga
08-16-2010, 06:10 PM
http://imgur.com/HtUTm.jpg

LnGrrrR
08-16-2010, 06:19 PM
:lmao

EmptyMan
08-16-2010, 06:31 PM
Unless you are going to take a position there is really no point in commenting on it like Obama did. Stupid political move to try and pass the empty generic answer. As President, he doesn't even need to comment on this situation if he doesn't want to.

jack sommerset
08-16-2010, 07:04 PM
It's easy to understand. Lefty dems want to yell racist any chance they get towards the repugs.

You take some white redneck from Texas that wants to fly his confederate flag on his car, the lefty dems calls that person a fucking racist pig. He might be. You take a muslim, who supports muslim terrorist and he wants to build a mosque on ground zero you hear all about freedom of speech, religion, etc, from these left dems. That's the crazy shit.

If I get bored I may take a peek at what a few of you fucks said about the kids who wore american flag shirts on cinco de mayo. Goddamn troublemakers!

Winehole23
08-16-2010, 07:21 PM
It's easy to understand. Lefty dems want to yell racist any chance they get towards the repugs. Much harder to understand is why Red team (and Red team fellow-travelers) win the prize for it around here.

Pity party much?

LnGrrrR
08-16-2010, 07:58 PM
It's easy to understand. Lefty dems want to yell racist any chance they get towards the repugs.

I wasn't aware DarrinS was a lefty dem.

You take some white redneck from Texas that wants to fly his confederate flag on his car, the lefty dems calls that person a fucking racist pig. He might be. You take a muslim, who supports muslim terrorist and he wants to build a mosque on ground zero you hear all about freedom of speech, religion, etc, from these left dems. That's the crazy shit.

There's a difference between thinking someone is racist, and arguing whether or not they're allowed to be racist.

If I get bored I may take a peek at what a few of you fucks said about the kids who wore american flag shirts on cinco de mayo. Goddamn troublemakers!

Feel free. :)

Capt Bringdown
08-16-2010, 08:14 PM
Ground Zero Mosque is the new Death Panels, or Gay Marriage, or Taking Over Health Care.

Jack and other fucktard American sheeple fall for right-wing lies every damn time. :lol

This is what happens when you have a so-called "marketplace of ideas." Ideology is marketed just as products are. There is a lot of money to be made in broadcasting these lies. Unfortunately, the truth has no sponsor.

The GZM "controversy" is very disturbing. It seems we've lost our way as a nation, and we're very deep into the wilderness.

jack sommerset
08-16-2010, 08:16 PM
The GZM "controversy" is very disturbing. It seems we've lost our way as a nation, and we're very deep into the wilderness.

Very disturbing.

I don't think you can call left dems patriots.

boutons_deux
08-16-2010, 08:42 PM
"Lefty dems want to yell racist any chance they get towards the repugs."

Repugs are the party of haves, the rich, the establishment. The rich don't want their taxes (what little they pay) to go to poor blacks and browns and white trash. The entire anti-tax strategy is starve the govt to screw over the Welfare Queens (as St Ronnie so racistly denigrated them, always a fiction)

Since Nixon/Atwater, they been race-baiting, racist, Southern Strategy, etc, etc. No blacks vote for them, no blacks in their Congress, and a disastrous Uncle Tom as RNC chairman in blatant, transparent response to Magic Negro gettiing elected., as in "hey, we racist Repugs can do blacks, too."

Repugs made that stinky, filthy racist bed, so learn to lie in it.

MaNuMaNiAc
08-16-2010, 09:43 PM
Very disturbing.

so democrats aren't patriots now because they like to practice what they preach? i.e. Tolerance

Honestly, on the one hand its good that idiots like you exist in the US. It really puts things in perspective when having to deal with the idiocy down here. Its quite comforting to know first world nations have jackasses too.

xrayzebra
08-16-2010, 09:55 PM

Repugs are the party of haves, the rich, the establishment. The rich don't want their taxes (what little they pay) to go to poor blacks and browns and white trash. The entire anti-tax strategy is starve the govt to screw over the Welfare Queens (as St Ronnie so racistly denigrated them, always a fiction)

Since Nixon/Atwater, they been race-baiting, racist, Southern Strategy, etc, etc. No blacks vote for them, no blacks in their Congress, and a disastrous Uncle Tom as RNC chairman in blatant, transparent response to Magic Negro gettiing elected., as in "hey, we racist Repugs can do blacks, too."

If you had a brain you would take it out and play with it, like you do
with other things.

You might just want to find out a little more about the America you are
so quick to be critical of. Of course your Communist handlers wont
allow that. But just for grins, stupid, look up who passed the Civil
Right Laws here in the U.S. It damn sure wasn't the Dimm-0-craps.

Also you might want to look up what party Lincoln belonged to, he wasn't
a Dimm-o-crap either.

But stupid is as stupid is.

Don't you ever get tired of being wrong.

You remind me of a "budding" scientist from your part of the world
who told us we were doomed unless we changed our way of living.
He used to brag about how much carbon he was saving. It made
me feel so good I would go out and fire up both my cars and let them
run for an hour or two just to pollute.

Hey WildCobra you remember that idiot of which I speak?

Marcus Bryant
08-16-2010, 10:07 PM

Look out! There's a "Repug" behind the hedge.

fraga
08-17-2010, 09:01 AM
Here's something interesting I just read...did you know there are Strip Clubs just blocks from Ground Zero...yet where is the outrage from the Republican party about that...with their family values...where is there moral outrage...so it's okay to have strip clubs at ground zero...but upholding the Constitution is out of the question...hmmmmm...hmmmmm....

JoeChalupa
08-17-2010, 12:14 PM
This issue is ridiculous. It is not illegal, and they have every right to do so and that is the American way!!
Conservatives cry about upholding the Constitution and then bitch about this. Newt can kiss my brown American ass.

JoeChalupa
08-17-2010, 12:15 PM
Here's something interesting I just read...did you know there are Strip Clubs just blocks from Ground Zero...yet where is the outrage from the Republican party about that...with their family values...where is there moral outrage...so it's okay to have strip clubs at ground zero...but upholding the Constitution is out of the question...hmmmmm...hmmmmm....

Exactly, but then seeing T&A has been the American way since day one.
And there is already and has been a Muslim place of worship and gathering closer to ground zero since before 911. Get over it people.

LnGrrrR
08-17-2010, 12:31 PM
Very disturbing.

How do you figure? Defending religious freedom makes you a lefty Dem now? Or unpatriotic?

DarrinS
08-17-2010, 12:31 PM
M. Zuhdi Jasser on the Mosque & Religious Freedom

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/243928/m-zuhdi-jasser-mosque-religious-freedom-kathryn-jean-lopez

The former U.S. Navy officer, medical doctor, and Muslim responds to President Obama:

Mr. President this is not about religious freedom. It is about the importance of the World Trade Center site to the psyche of the American People. It is about a blatant attack on our sovereignty by people whose ideology ultimately demands the elimination of our way of life. While Imam Faisal Rauf may not share their violent tendencies he does seem to share a belief that Islamic structures are a political statement and even Ground Zero should be looked upon through the lens of political Islam and not a solely American one.

As a Muslim desperate to reform his faith, your remarks take us backwards from the day that my faith will come into modernity. I do not stand to eliminate Imam Rauf’s religious freedom; I stand to make sure that my children’s religious freedom will be determined by the liberty guaranteed in the American Constitution and not by clerics or leaders who are apologists for shar’iah law and will tell me what religious freedom is.

‘Park 51′, ‘The Cordoba House’ or whatever they are calling it today should not be built, not because it is not their right to do it – but because it is not right to do it.” Mr. President, your involvement in this issue is divisive not uniting. Your follow-up stating that ‘you will not speak to the wisdom of the construction of that mosque and center’ indicates a passive-aggressive meddling on your part that only marginalizes those Muslim and non-Muslim voices against it while pretending to understand both sides of the debate.

JoeChalupa
08-17-2010, 12:43 PM
People can spin this to make themselves feel better but it still boils down to a dislike or hatred of a particular religion. It is very simple. They say Obama wants to have it both ways well that is exactly what those against the Muslim religious center want too.
Oh, we support the rights of the people under the Constitution...BUT....

JoeChalupa
08-17-2010, 12:44 PM
M. Zuhdi Jasser on the Mosque & Religious Freedom

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/243928/m-zuhdi-jasser-mosque-religious-freedom-kathryn-jean-lopez

IMHO, he is wrong.

LnGrrrR
08-17-2010, 12:49 PM
If the person putting up this mosque is so backwards, wouldn't the best medicine to let him open it up, and hope that modern Muslims attend?

And besides, conservatives should be hoping like heck that this thing opens... after all, it should be a one-stop shopping center to find terrorists, right? :lol

Spurminator
08-17-2010, 12:54 PM
I reject the idea that the President should not speak on controversial or divisive matters.

DarrinS
08-17-2010, 01:36 PM
http://www.aawsat.com/english/news.asp?section=2&id=21980

US President Barack Obama adopted a difficult position when he supported the building of a mosque near ground zero, where 3,000 US citizens died at the hands of Al-Qaeda terrorists on 11 September 2001.

Despite the fact that the president adopted the correct stance in principle, i.e. the principle of freedom of worship, in my opinion he adopted an unnecessary and unimportant stance, even as far as Muslims are concerned. The mosque is not an issue for Muslims, and they are not bothered by its construction.

This reminds us of another principled stance Obama took when he insisted on putting the Guantanamo prisoners accused of belonging to Al-Qaeda on trial before civilian courts, and on closing down the military prison. It is true that this stance deserves appreciation. However, the fact is that he fought a battle that does not concern Muslims across the world, because there are tens of thousands of Muslims - similar to those accused of extremism - who are imprisoned in worse conditions in Muslim countries.

Muslims do not aspire for a mosque next to the 11 September cemetery, and are not bothered with Bin Ladin's cook being put on trial in a civilian court. Muslims have issues that encroach upon the destinies of nations; these issues are the cause of isolation and calamity, such as the establishment of the State of Palestine. For Obama to focus his energy and efforts, and fight for the establishment of peace in the Middle East is more important and more valuable than a mosque in New York.

The fact is that building a mosque next to the site of the World Trade Center Twin Towers, which were destroyed during the 11 September attacks, is a strange story. This is because the mosque is not an issue for Muslims, and they have not heard of it until the shouting became loud between the supporters and the objectors, which is mostly an argument between non-Muslim US citizens!

Neither did the Muslims ask for a single building, nor do the angry Muslims want the mosque. This is one of the few times when the two opposing sides are in agreement. Nevertheless, the dispute has escalated, and has reached the front pages of the press and the major television programs, demonstrations have been staged in the streets, and large posters have been hung on buses roaming the streets of New York calling for preventing the building of the mosque and reminding the people of the 11 September crime. It really is a strange battle!

I cannot imagine that Muslims want a mosque on this particular site, because it will be turned into an arena for promoters of hatred, and a symbol of those who committed the crime. At the same time, there are no practicing Muslims in the district who need a place of worship, because it is indeed a commercial district. Is there a side that is committed to this mosque? The fact is that in the news reports there are names linked to this project that costs 100 million dollars!

The sides enthusiastic for building the mosque might be building companies, architect houses, or politicized groups that want suitable investments?! I do not know whether the building applicant wants a mosque whose aim is reconciliation, or he is an investor who wants quick profits. This is because the idea of the mosque specifically next to the destruction is not at all a clever deed. The last thing Muslims want today is to build just a religious center out of defiance to the others, or a symbolic mosque that people visit as a museum next to a cemetery.

What the US citizens do not understand is that the battle against the 11 September terrorists is a Muslim battle, and not theirs, and this battle still is ablaze in more than 20 Muslim countries. Some Muslims will consider that building a mosque on this site immortalizes and commemorates what was done by the terrorists who committed their crime in the name of Islam. I do not think that the majority of Muslims want to build a symbol or a worship place that tomorrow might become a place about which the terrorists and their Muslim followers boast, and which will become a shrine for Islam haters whose aim is to turn the public opinion against Islam. This is what has started to happen now; they claim that there is a mosque being built over the corpses of 3,000 killed US citizens, who were buried alive by people chanting God is great, which is the same call that will be heard from the mosque.

It is the wrong battle, because originally there was no mosque in order to rebuild it, and there are no practicing Muslims who want a place in which to worship.

fraga
08-17-2010, 01:41 PM
Rights > Opinion

LnGrrrR
08-17-2010, 01:41 PM
I wasn't aware that Abdul Rahman Al-Rashid spoke for all Muslims in New York city.

DarrinS
08-17-2010, 01:45 PM
They definitely need more mosques in that area.

Look for yourself. I can't believe they've been denied a place to freely worship in that area.

http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=UTF-8&gfns=1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=mosques+manhattan&fb=1&gl=us&hq=mosques&hnear=Manhattan,+New+York&view=text&ei=IdFqTKKdEcOXnAf535ncAg&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=more-results&resnum=7&ved=0CDwQtQMwBg

Winehole23
08-17-2010, 01:48 PM
Look for yourself. I can't believe they've been denied a place to freely worship in that area.We don't do that, Darrin. Does that bum you out? If not, why are you crying about this?

DarrinS
08-17-2010, 01:52 PM
Is there anything that would be too provacative to build in that area?

Perhaps a couple of 100-story minarets?

Spurminator
08-17-2010, 01:54 PM

Look for yourself. I can't believe they've been denied a place to freely worship in that area.

http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=UTF-8&gfns=1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=mosques+manhattan&fb=1&gl=us&hq=mosques&hnear=Manhattan,+New+York&view=text&ei=IdFqTKKdEcOXnAf535ncAg&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=more-results&resnum=7&ved=0CDwQtQMwBg

1. I take it you've never been to Manhattan.
2. Look at all the churches! http://maps.google.com/maps?q=churches+manhattan&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=JNtqTOOUIoO8lQeu77DTAQ&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&ved=0CBQQ_AU

LnGrrrR
08-17-2010, 01:55 PM

Strawman.

Does their right to build in this area make a difference if there are other mosques in the area?

Also, according to your Abdul guy, I thought there were no practicing Muslims in that are? What are those mosques being used for?

Spurminator
08-17-2010, 02:11 PM
OMG I can't believe they're building another Synagogue in that area!
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=synagogues%20manhattan&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl

OMG I can't believe they're building another Duane Reade pharmacy in that area!
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=duane%20reade%20manhattan&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl

OMG I can't believe they're building another pizza place in that area!
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=pizza%20manhattan&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl

OMG I can't believe they're building another Scientology center in that area!
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=scientology%20church%20manhattan&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl

MaNuMaNiAc
08-17-2010, 02:16 PM
What the fuck is so difficult to understand about 9/11 not being the work of the whole Muslim religion but what amounts to a sect inside it?? a very large, very fucked up sect, but a sect nonetheless.

Think of all the heinous, fucking stupid things people have done in the name of the Catholic religion and then try and argue against Catholics' right to freely practice their religion WHEREVER they want because of them...

that's how fucking stupid this whole mosque business is. The only thing this proves is the majority of Americans don't really understand the point of that whole "freedom of religion" thing. It doesn't just apply to YOU, it applies to EVERYONE. You being too fucking stupid to understand that Muslim extremism is just a fringe element of the Muslim religion, doesn't change that.

The fact of the matter is they own that property, they've got the money and more importantly, the right to build this mosque. No amount of bitching is going to change that, specially when that bitching is based on ignorance.

Shit! you should be proud that you live in a country that in spite of great public outrage against it, you still have a president who is willing to lose political points to uphold the unpopular but ultimately right choice. Isn't this the whole point of the constitution? to make sure that some things aren't put to a vote?

LnGrrrR
08-17-2010, 02:27 PM
Is there anything that would be too provacative to build in that area?

Perhaps a couple of 100-story minarets?

Is there any strawman or logical fallacy too inane for DarrinS to use?

Assuming it's in code with the city, what does it matter how big it is?

Homeland Security
08-17-2010, 02:29 PM
This is what happens when you have a so-called "marketplace of ideas." Ideology is marketed just as products are. There is a lot of money to be made in broadcasting these lies. Unfortunately, the truth has no sponsor.

Things like this reassure me that the future right-wing dictatorship will be readily accepted by the people it needs.

DazedAndConfused
08-17-2010, 02:37 PM
Americans are really fucking dumb and shit like this makes me realize just how far we have to go as a country.

Are people seriously fucking objecting over this?

RandomGuy
08-17-2010, 02:50 PM
This entire issue reminds me of a movie... what was the name...

http://www.impawards.com/1995/posters/usual_suspects_ver2.jpg

AH YES, that's it.

The usual jack somersets and Darrins, parroting the usual things that they were told to be outraged about on Fox "News".

"That includes the right to build a place of worship and a community center on private property in lower Manhattan, in accordance with local laws and ordinances," he said. "This is America, and our commitment to religious freedom must be unshakable."

Asked Saturday about the issue during his trip to Florida, Obama said: "I was not commenting and I will not comment on the wisdom of making a decision to put a mosque there.

The man very specifically didn't question whether one should be there.

He said that they have the right to be there, as they do, fully given the by Constitution under the first amendment.

He also very carefully parsed his words to NOT give an opinion about whether it was a "wise" decision.

Does ANYBODY here truly believe that Mr. Obama thinks it is a GOOD idea to build one there?

No.

Does ANYBODY here doubt that Republicans and looney tunes right that seems to be driving the "conservative" discourse in this county will try to make this into more than it is for political gain?

If you do have any doubts, you haven't been paying attention to this thread or Fox "News".

ChumpDumper
08-17-2010, 02:55 PM
http://www.aawsat.com/english/news.asp?section=2&id=21980Did Darrin just post a letter than said freedom of religion is unnecessary and unimportant?

hitmanyr2k
08-17-2010, 02:58 PM
Americans are really fucking dumb and shit like this makes me realize just how far we have to go as a country.

That's all that really needs to be said :lol

Marcus Bryant
08-17-2010, 03:10 PM
So a majority (thankfully, still) recognizes that a right to religious freedom still exists in this country and a majority apparently believes that placing a mosque in Lower Manhattan may not be a good idea (which thankfully, still, can be expressed). Naturally this eats up the collective conscience of this country while it...is going bankrupt.

MaNuMaNiAc
08-17-2010, 03:11 PM
Most countries in general have a majority of their population that is easily swayed by emotion rather than logic. Its why something needs to be in place to prevent said majority from acting like complete fucking monkeys the minute something tragic or emotionally scarring happens.

You don't throw everything you're about overboard simply because of what some nutjob terrorists did. I honestly don't understand how it escapes people that acting like this is ample evidence that the terrorists have accomplished exactly what they wanted.

DarrinS
08-17-2010, 03:46 PM

At least you are "tolerant" of other viewpoints.

DarrinS
08-17-2010, 03:49 PM
Most countries in general have a majority of their population that is easily swayed by emotion rather than logic. Its why something needs to be in place to prevent said majority from acting like complete fucking monkeys the minute something tragic or emotionally scarring happens.

Wow. Just. Wow.

Who gets to decide who the "monkeys" are?

You don't throw everything you're about overboard simply because of what some nutjob terrorists did. I honestly don't understand how it escapes people that acting like this is ample evidence that the terrorists have accomplished exactly what they wanted.

Can Muslims still worship freely in Manhattan, as we speak?

ChumpDumper
08-17-2010, 04:00 PM
Wow. Just. Wow.

Who gets to decide who the "monkeys" are?In this case, the founding fathers.

Can Muslims still worship freely in Manhattan, as we speak?Can they do it at the Cordoba House if it was up to you?

RandomGuy
08-17-2010, 04:00 PM
So a majority (thankfully, still) recognizes that a right to religious freedom still exists in this country and a majority apparently believes that placing a mosque in Lower Manhattan may not be a good idea (which thankfully, still, can be expressed). Naturally this eats up the collective conscience of this country while it...is going bankrupt.

Yup.

Personally, as a Democrat, I am kind of glad that the right is getting worked up by this.

It is rather obviously a fairly cynical ploy for cheap political mileage. That is transparent to anybody with some common sense.

I really do think the right in this country has gone off the deep end, and things like this make that more and more obvious as time goes on.

George Gervin's Afro
08-17-2010, 04:03 PM
The sky is falling

ChumpDumper
08-17-2010, 04:12 PM
I get the feeling the Cordoba House will be built somewhere else, and somehow at the expense of taxpayers.

It will be a double victory for religious freedom and fiscal responsibility.

coyotes_geek
08-17-2010, 04:12 PM
It is rather obviously a fairly cynical ploy for cheap political mileage. That is transparent to anybody with some common sense.

I really do think the right in this country has gone off the deep end, and things like this make that more and more obvious as time goes on.

Agreed. The GOP is only doing itself a disservice by picking stupid fights like this. They'd have been much better off leaving this one alone. Or if the need to make some kind of statement was just too great to resist, limit it to something along the lines of finding it distasteful, but supporting the rights of New Yorkers to decide for themselves.

LnGrrrR
08-17-2010, 04:15 PM
Can Muslims still worship freely in Manhattan, as we speak?

Does that have any bearing on whether the Mosque should be built or not?

ChumpDumper
08-17-2010, 04:21 PM
Agreed. The GOP is only doing itself a disservice by picking stupid fights like this. They'd have been much better off leaving this one alone. Or if the need to make some kind of statement was just too great to resist, limit it to something along the lines of finding it distasteful, but supporting the rights of New Yorkers to decide for themselves.Eh, don't leave Democrats out of this. Harry Reid is getting on the "right" side of this issue to help him get reelected.

Personally, I think this is an opportunity for the critics of Islam in general to prove whatever conquest/gloating argument they espouse. Maybe they are just afraid that it will actually be a success as a cultural outreach center and undermine their war on Islam.

DarrinS
08-17-2010, 04:24 PM
Well, when it's finally built, Muslim men will finally be free to pray. And their second-class wives will be free to pray in the back of the room.

Marcus Bryant
08-17-2010, 04:27 PM
We could be considering the spending cuts and tax increases that will be necessary to balance the budget at this time, rather than bitching about rights guaranteed by the Constitution which is supposedly sacrosanct. Of course, seeing as how it gives rights to Moslems and brown babies perhaps it is time to deem the Constitution un-American.

ChumpDumper
08-17-2010, 04:28 PM
Well, when it's finally built, Muslim men will finally be free to pray. And their second-class wives will be free to pray in the back of the room.It's their religion. Do you want to outlaw it?

coyotes_geek
08-17-2010, 04:36 PM
Eh, don't leave Democrats out of this. Harry Reid is getting on the "right" side of this issue to help him get reelected.

Personally, I think this is an opportunity for the critics of Islam in general to prove whatever conquest/gloating argument they espouse. Maybe they are just afraid that it will actually be a success as a cultural outreach center and undermine their war on Islam.

Agree on both counts.

Well, when it's finally built, Muslim men will finally be free to pray. And their second-class wives will be free to pray in the back of the room.

And a bunch of right wingers will be free to be upset over how that whole "freedom of religion" thingy includes muslims too.

ChumpDumper
08-17-2010, 04:46 PM
Well, when it's finally built, Muslim men will finally be free to pray. And their second-class wives will be free to pray in the back of the room.Darrin, did you know that Catholics don't allow their second-class women to become priests?

It's true!

DarrinS
08-17-2010, 04:55 PM
Darrin, did you know that Catholics don't allow their second-class women to become priests?

It's true!

That's because there aren't enough female pedophiles.

ChumpDumper
08-17-2010, 04:59 PM
That's because there aren't enough female pedophiles.So you want to outlaw the Catholic church as well?

Yes or no.

DarrinS
08-17-2010, 05:06 PM
So you want to outlaw the Catholic church as well?

Yes or no.

Well, if the Catholics had carried out 9/11, I'm sure a 100 million dollar church at ground zero would raise eyebrows.

ChumpDumper
08-17-2010, 05:08 PM
Well, if the Catholics had carried out 9/11, I'm sure a 100 million dollar church at ground zero would raise eyebrows.But pedophilia is OK in your book. It doesn't raise your eyebrow. Maybe it raises something else for you.

DarrinS
08-17-2010, 05:14 PM
But pedophilia is OK in your book. It doesn't raise your eyebrow. Maybe it raises something else for you.

:nope

ChumpDumper
08-17-2010, 05:20 PM
I'll bet the Catholics have built several community centers near places where priests molested children.

You're against that, right Darrin?

Winehole23
08-18-2010, 03:11 AM
...seeing as how it gives rights to Moslems and brown babies perhaps it is time to deem the Constitution un-American.Too late.

Terrorist bill of rights
http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=22671
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/149664/habeas-corpus-or-terrorist-bill-rights/andy-mccarthy
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,184342,00.html
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2007/oct/1/a-terrorist-bill-of-rights/

ChumpDumper
08-18-2010, 03:28 AM
Too late.

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=22671
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/149664/habeas-corpus-or-terrorist-bill-rights/andy-mccarthy
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,184342,00.html
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2007/oct/1/a-terrorist-bill-of-rights/Wow. It's as if conservatives got together and agreed to call it that name.

But nothing like that ever happens.

Winehole23
08-18-2010, 03:34 AM
In 2007-8 forums, sure it did.

I first saw the phrase on SR, but I've seen it here too.

Ignignokt
08-18-2010, 12:31 PM
You know what, i don't take back my posts on Islam. But I morally support the Ground zero mosque. These guys are nowhere near radical islamist, they're good people and they're just a bunch of mystic hippies, tbh.

Wild cobra, Yoni and the rest need to look up Sufi Islam.

boutons_deux
08-18-2010, 12:38 PM
WC and Yoni already know everything they need to know.

boutons_deux
08-18-2010, 01:40 PM
scumbag Rove spews his inflammatory, bigoted crap

"Who believes that skinheads should show up at a Black sorority convention and scream bigoted remarks?

Who believes Neo-Nazis should show up at the B’nai B’rith hotel and have their meeting in the next meeting room? "

http://thinkprogress.org/2010/08/18/rove-nazis-skinheads-mosque/

skinhead = neo-nazis = Muslims, got it.

Thanks, Karl. (that's the German spelling, is Karl a Nazi?)

Your campaign-season dog whistle has been heard loud and clear.

LnGrrrR
08-18-2010, 02:05 PM
You know what, i don't take back my posts on Islam. But I morally support the Ground zero mosque. These guys are nowhere near radical islamist, they're good people and they're just a bunch of mystic hippies, tbh.

Thanks for doing research Ig. :tu

CosmicCowboy
08-18-2010, 02:18 PM
Yup.

Personally, as a Democrat, I am kind of glad that the right is getting worked up by this.

Uhhhhh last time I checked it wasn't just Republicans.

Do you know who Harry Reid is?

“The First Amendment protects freedom of religion,” Reid spokesman Jim Manley said in a statement. "Sen. Reid respects that but thinks that the mosque should be built someplace else.

Wild Cobra
08-18-2010, 02:20 PM
If you noticed, I wasn't one of the voices opposing it. Do you get that from this statement?

A response later came that they can rebuild, however, the authority isn't allowing it. Since the Mosque is outside the port authority, they fall under difference rules. Even though it's two different authorities, it bothers be that the original church cannot rebuild, yet a new one can. Set religion aside on that.

Winehole23
08-18-2010, 02:52 PM
Uhhhhh last time I checked it wasn't just Republicans. True.

By contrast, Obama's fellow Democrats, in the face of this Republican assault, have largely been a model of cowardice, or worse. Indeed, one reason it was necessary for Obama to intervene is because the New York City Congressional delegation, with the noble exception of Manhattan Democrat Jerry Nadler, had been conspicuously and inexcusably silent. Two weeks ago, mayoral hopeful and Democratic Rep. Anthony Weiner finally managed to issue a statement (http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/documents/2010/08/anthony-weiners-letter-to-bloomberg-on-the-cordoba-house.php?page=1), but it was so vapid and incoherent that few people even knew what it meant.

Worse, some Democrats -- led by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/plum-line/2010/08/breaking_reid_calls_for_mosque.html) -- have now joined with the right in opposing Park51. Democratic Representative Michael Arcuri even attacked his G.O.P. challenger (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/plum-line/2010/08/house_democrat_now_politicizin.html) for supporting the project, causing the challenger to reverse course. New York's Governor David Paterson made it known on Tuesday (http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2010/08/17/ny-gov-paterson-steps-into-mosque-issue-again) that he intends to meet with project developers to encourage them to move, while three more Democrats from the New York Congressional delegation (http://www.politico.com/blogs/maggiehaberman/0810/NY_members_in_swing_districts_coming_out_against_m osque_.html) followed in Senator Reid's shameful footsteps by advocating that a new site be found.
http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2010/8/17/is-the-mosque-issue-a-risk-for-obama/who-has-moral-courage

boutons_deux
08-18-2010, 03:12 PM
The religious right-tards shot themselves in the foot:

"One reason that opponents are going to have trouble legally preventing Park51 from building its Muslim cultural center is that, in 2000, a Republican Congress passed the Religious Land Use and Institutionalized Persons Act… The goal of the legislation, supported by a coalition of religious groups, was to respond to the Supreme Court’s ruling in Employment Division Department of Human Resources v. Smith and give churches, synagogues, mosques and other places of worship more power in disputes with local and municipal authorities."

http://blogs.alternet.org/speakeasy/2010/08/18/religious-right-pushed-law-that-keeps-gov-from-messing-with-islamic-center/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=alternet#

LnGrrrR
08-18-2010, 03:34 PM
F'ing stupid Democrats AND Republicans. Watch them block teh bilding of that mosque, and see how many terrorists use it as a sign that America hates muslims, no matter how false that might be.

LnGrrrR
08-18-2010, 03:35 PM
And since so many Republicans were saying that denigrating the troops/war/etc "emboldens" the enemy, I'm sure that's the last thing they want.

CosmicCowboy
08-18-2010, 03:41 PM
I think it would be just be funny as shit if at least one union came out against it. Without the unions in NYC, no matter how much money they raise it ain't getting built. For instance, if the steelworkers strike the site, EVERYBODY strikes the site.

Marcus Bryant
08-18-2010, 09:34 PM
Not sure why so many evangelicals are on board with this, considering the popular meme of the secularized Uncle Sam out to purge Christ from the public square.

LnGrrrR
08-18-2010, 09:37 PM
Not sure why so many evangelicals are on board with this, considering the popular meme of the secularized Uncle Sam out to purge Christ from the public square.

That's because they're trying to purge Allah, not Christ.

Marcus Bryant
08-18-2010, 09:43 PM
So most likely what will happen is the mosque will be built a few blocks away. Meanwhile, when does the first Presbyterian Church go up in Mecca?

Marcus Bryant
08-18-2010, 09:47 PM
We do want to teach the world to sing, no? Or is it that anything other than whitebread Christians is tolerable, even fundy Moslems?

jack sommerset
08-18-2010, 09:50 PM
Gitmo remaining open and a mosque on ground zero. Which recruits more muslim terrorist against the USA?

LnGrrrR
08-18-2010, 10:08 PM
Gitmo remaining open and a mosque on ground zero. Which recruits more muslim terrorist against the USA?

GTMO, obviously. If you were thinking about joining up with terrorists against the US, which would motivate you more? The America that maintains a prison and declares the right to lock up suspected terrorists without trial, or the America that supports a mosque being built close to the 9/11 site?

But hey, if you think the mosque would recruit more terrorists, you should be in favor of it, right? Less work the FBI/CIA has to do to find one!

ChumpDumper
08-18-2010, 10:27 PM
Gitmo remaining open and a mosque on ground zero. Which recruits more muslim terrorist against the USA?It's not on ground zero.

jack sommerset
08-18-2010, 10:28 PM
GTMO, obviously. If you were thinking about joining up with terrorists against the US, which would motivate you more? The America that maintains a prison and declares the right to lock up suspected terrorists without trial, or the America that supports a mosque being built close to the 9/11 site?

But hey, if you think the mosque would recruit more terrorists, you should be in favor of it, right? Less work the FBI/CIA has to do to find one!

You would be a terrible recruiter.

ChumpDumper
08-18-2010, 10:33 PM
And you are terrible at geography.

jack sommerset
08-18-2010, 10:35 PM
And you are terrible at geography.

2 blocks according to the supporters of the mosque. Are you that petty?

ChumpDumper
08-18-2010, 10:37 PM
2 blocks according to the supporters of the mosque. Are you that petty?Apparently you are.

It's not on ground zero.

Probably can't even see the mosque from there.

And there is already a mosque in the neighborhood.

Has been for over 30 years.

John Terry
08-18-2010, 10:39 PM
accurately that's 2.5 blocks away from the 9/11 site.

John Terry
08-18-2010, 10:41 PM
muslins are no evil close to such sprites like commies & fellow asian idiots.

CosmicCowboy
08-18-2010, 10:53 PM
muslins are no evil close to such sprites like commies & fellow asian idiots.

Ducks? Is that you?

ChumpDumper
08-18-2010, 10:55 PM
Ducks? Is that you?I think that guy is Chinese.

I don't know what the hell ducks' excuse is.

LnGrrrR
08-18-2010, 11:20 PM
You would be a terrible recruiter.

A terrible terrorist recruiter? I can't say that's much of an insult. :lol

I mean seriously, if they're trying to convert someone to help al qaeda, I doubt they're saying, "Can you believe Americans let Muslims open up a mosque right near where we attacked them on 9/11? Those infidels! The nerve!"

jack sommerset
08-19-2010, 10:12 AM
It's not an insult.

boutons_deux
08-19-2010, 11:34 AM
Islam Already Lives Near Ground Zero: AP FACT CHECK

New York imam and his proposed mosque near ground zero are being demonized by political candidates – mostly Republicans – despite the fact that Islam is already very much a part of the World Trade Center neighborhood. And that Muslims pray inside the Pentagon, too, less than 80 feet from where terrorists attacked.

And that the imam who's being branded an extremist has been valued by both Republican and Democratic administrations as a moderate face of the faith.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/19/islam-already-party-of-gr_n_687639.html?view=print

rascal
08-19-2010, 11:55 AM
This is really a non issue overblown by conservative talk radio. Who do a good job of stirring up their loyal listeners.

Winehole23
08-19-2010, 12:00 PM
Dean, Pelosi, Reid and many of the NY Congressional (D)'s jumped on the bandwagon too, but I blame cowardice and stupidity for that rather than talk radio.

CosmicCowboy
08-19-2010, 12:01 PM
This is really a non issue overblown by conservative talk radio. Who do a good job of stirring up their loyal listeners.

Actually the mosque was already old news till Obama inserted himself right into the damn middle of the controversy. For someone that ran a pretty astute Presidential campaign he sure does a lot of dumb shit as POTUS.

jack sommerset
08-19-2010, 12:03 PM
LOL@Pelosi!

Investigate the mosque critics!

Spurminator
08-19-2010, 12:17 PM
Actually the mosque was already old news till Obama inserted himself right into the damn middle of the controversy. For someone that ran a pretty astute Presidential campaign he sure does a lot of dumb shit as POTUS.

I guess if you measure everything by how it could affect its election, sure, it was dumb. If you measure by the standards of what a President should do, then IMO, for once, he got it right this time by addressing it.

Of course he flaked quite a bit the next day, which is disappointing but not surprising.

RandomGuy
08-19-2010, 12:25 PM

The man was asked a direct question. He didn't "insert" himself into it.

He could have simply given another non-answer like policians so often are wont to do, but he gave a candid, if guarded, answer.

It is the GOP and rabid right that have "inserted" him into it, in an obvious and disgusting cynical attempt to score political points with their base.

Based on the comments here, that cynical ploy worked with the useful idiots, like Jack and Ducks.

I would be a hell of a lot more sympathetic to the GOP if it weren't so obvious that it was being increasingly driven by extremists, as this whole episode so aptly demonstrates.

I voted and campaigned for McCain in 2000. (kick myself repeatedly for giving the T-shirt to goodwill, man, what a keepsake that would have been)

Even today, when I am not really all that happy with Obama to put it mildly, I have not regretted my vote for him for a second, because I know that had the election gone the other way, it would have given active power to shape policy to those who I view with no small amount of alarm, i.e. Palin et al.

Someday, when demographics bury the GOP as a national party, and Republicans look around and wonder what the fuck happened, I will not be all that sad, because I know they did it to themselves with stupid shit like this.

CosmicCowboy
08-19-2010, 12:31 PM
The man was asked a direct question. He didn't "insert" himself into it.

He could have simply given another non-answer like policians so often are wont to do, but he gave a candid, if guarded, answer.

It is the GOP and rabid right that have "inserted" him into it, in an obvious and disgusting cynical attempt to score political points with their base.

Based on the comments here, that cynical ploy worked with the useful idiots, like Jack and Ducks.

I would be a hell of a lot more sympathetic to the GOP if it weren't so obvious that it was being increasingly driven by extremists, as this whole episode so aptly demonstrates.

I voted and campaigned for McCain in 2000. (kick myself repeatedly for giving the T-shirt to goodwill, man, what a keepsake that would have been)

Even today, when I am not really all that happy with Obama to put it mildly, I have not regretted my vote for him for a second, because I know that had the election gone the other way, it would have given active power to shape policy to those who I view with no small amount of alarm, i.e. Palin et al.

Someday, when demographics bury the GOP as a national party, and Republicans look around and wonder what the fuck happened, I will not be all that sad, because I know they did it to themselves with stupid shit like this.

Thats total Bullshit.

It wasn't a gotcha Q&A.

He did it during his speech at the Iftar Dinner (ending of Ramadan) at the White House.

Republicans had nothing to do with it.

Brainwashed are we?

boutons_deux
08-19-2010, 12:46 PM
The mosque was "old news" when Magic Negro spoke, and it's still white hot news now, because it's total Repug campaign faux outrage/rabble rousing bullshit.

Gotta give those Repugs a few terrorist fist bumps for knowing how to lie and slander and inflame their minuscule ignorant fringe base.

Ignignokt
08-19-2010, 12:50 PM
The mosque was "old news" when Magic Negro spoke, and it's still white hot news now, because it's total Repug campaign faux outrage/rabble rousing bullshit.

Gotta give those Repugs a few terrorist fist bumps for knowing how to lie and slander and inflame their minuscule ignorant fringe base.

Sup jew bitch!

CosmicCowboy
08-19-2010, 12:55 PM
Thats total Bullshit.

It wasn't a gotcha Q&A.

He did it during his speech at the Iftar Dinner (ending of Ramadan) at the White House.

Republicans had nothing to do with it.

Brainwashed are we?

BTW, that was a prepared, teleprompter speech. He said exactly what he meant to say. Then, his fellow democrats bailed on him. When the shit hit the fan he tried to backtrack and say that he was just making an intellectual comment that the mosque was protected by the first amendment and he didn't really endorse the building of the mosque. Soooooo...his initial "courageous moral stand" becomes a shameless attempt to cover his ass and rewrite history and he ends up pissing off both sides.

I stand by my statement that for such an alleged smart guy and good campaigner he sure does some dumb shit as POTUS.

boutons_deux
08-19-2010, 12:57 PM
Ig, GFY, if you can find your asshole

George Gervin's Afro
08-19-2010, 12:58 PM
BTW, that was a prepared, teleprompter speech. He said exactly what he meant to say. Then, his fellow democrats bailed on him. When the shit hit the fan he tried to backtrack and say that he was just making an intellectual comment that the mosque was protected by the first amendment and he didn't really endorse the building of the mosque. Soooooo...his initial "courageous moral stand" becomes a shameless attempt to cover his ass and rewrite history and he ends up pissing off both sides.

I stand by my statement that for such an alleged smart guy and good campaigner he sure does some dumb shit as POTUS.

following the letter of the is dumb?:lmao

Ignignokt
08-19-2010, 01:00 PM
Ig, GFY, if you can find your asshole

:lol

Your expletive ridden rants sound like the description of old pornfiles on Kazaa.

You're pretty much a bitter, cuckold progressive jew bitch.

George Gervin's Afro
08-19-2010, 01:02 PM
they have legal right to build there you dumb b*tches......

but,but,but it's inconsiderate... the law doesn't take feelings into account

ChumpDumper
08-19-2010, 01:03 PM
If stating a one of the most basic Constitutional principles is dumb, what are we all doing in this country?

Oh yeah, we're making up phony wedge issues. :rolleyes

CosmicCowboy
08-19-2010, 01:07 PM
We ALL know they have a constitutional right to build there. At least I know that. I never said they didn't.

boutons_deux
08-19-2010, 01:09 PM
Porky Dick Morris going nuts and keeping his slimey name in the Repug slimefest

"this is really a juridical center that is being established to study and promote and train and recruit Shariah law advocates which will become terrorists. ... We're establishing literally a command center for terrorism right at the 9/11 site.""

http://rawstory.com/rs/2010/0819/mosque-train-recruit-terrorists/

I know right-wing assholes here swallow this shit (where's Yoni when we really need a bona fides shit swallower?), but how many Americans can't see through the Repug campaigning?

CosmicCowboy
08-19-2010, 01:15 PM
Chump, are you actually denying it was a monumental backtrack? Heres the original quote:

But let me be clear: as a citizen, and as President, I believe that Muslims have the same right to practice their religion as anyone else in this country. That includes the right to build a place of worship and a community center on private property in lower Manhattan, in accordance with local laws and ordinances.

Heres the qualifier after the shit hit the fan:

"I was not commenting and I will not comment on the wisdom of making the decision to put a mosque there,"

Courageous moral stand?...:lmao

hater
08-19-2010, 01:18 PM

+1000

why is it so hard for these retards to realize this is still a free country.

hater
08-19-2010, 01:22 PM
IMO the wealthy jews are behind this. Among other ppl of course.

And I ain't no jew hater. I love Larry David and Adam Sandler.

RandomGuy
08-19-2010, 01:24 PM

If it was part of a prepared speech, I stand corrected. My memory of the article I read was that it was an answer to a question during an Q & A session.

Still, the GOP has made a great deal of hay on it.

How many pages is this thread now?

ChumpDumper
08-19-2010, 01:24 PM
Chump, are you actually denying it was a monumental backtrack?The right to build and the wisdom of building are the same thing to you?

Explain how they are the same thing.

Looks like you don't know what backtracking is, which is funny since you do it often enough.

LnGrrrR
08-19-2010, 01:26 PM

Well said. Glenn Greenwald pretty much said the same about him walking back his comments. If you're going to take a stand, at least keep it.

RandomGuy
08-19-2010, 01:27 PM
Chump, are you actually denying it was a monumental backtrack? Heres the original quote:

Heres the qualifier after the shit hit the fan:

Courageous moral stand?...:lmao

It is actually. You can't say that he hasn't received criticism for supporting religious freedoms, against knee-jerk xenophobia.

I fully deny it was a monumental backtrack.

Did he ever change his stance about whether or not it was legal/constitutional?

RandomGuy
08-19-2010, 01:31 PM

What if he said that, knowing that defending religious freedom would draw out the kinds of moronic criticisms that have been leveled?

The thread title says it all. "Obama supports Mosque near ground zero".

Independents who aren't brainwashed see this for what it is, as do smart religious people who worry about the precedent that might be set if the president comes out to attempt to block a religious center of any kind.

Seems to me like it was swallowed, hook, line, and sinker.

CosmicCowboy
08-19-2010, 01:31 PM
It is actually. You can't say that he hasn't received criticism for supporting religious freedoms, against knee-jerk xenophobia.

I fully deny it was a monumental backtrack.

Did he ever change his stance about whether or not it was legal/constitutional?

EVERYONE knows it's legal/constitutional.

Whats so fucking courageous about that?

Now saying "no comment, I'm not giving you my opinion on whether the mosque should be built there" is COURAGEOUS?

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

You have a pathetically low threshold on what courageous is.

CosmicCowboy
08-19-2010, 01:36 PM
What if he said that, knowing that defending religious freedom would draw out the kinds of moronic criticisms that have been leveled?

The thread title says it all. "Obama supports Mosque near ground zero".

Independents who aren't brainwashed see this for what it is, as do smart religious people who worry about the precedent that might be set if the president comes out to attempt to block a religious center of any kind.

Seems to me like it was swallowed, hook, line, and sinker.

God you just keep digging in deeper.

The guy has elections in what...80 days? You don't stir up a hornets nest like that when almost 70% of the public knows they can't legally stop it but wish they wouldn't build the mosque there.

ChumpDumper
08-19-2010, 01:36 PM
So, Obama didn't backtrack at all in this case.

Thanks for the clarification, CC.

ChumpDumper
08-19-2010, 01:37 PM
God you just keep digging in deeper.

The guy has elections in what...80 days? You don't stir up a hornets nest like that when almost 70% of the public knows they can't legally stop it but wish they wouldn't build the mosque there.Are you sure they know they can't legally stop it?

Link.

LnGrrrR
08-19-2010, 01:38 PM
I think most lefties were of the opinion that he supported the building of the mosque, not just their right to do so. I mean, he IS supposed to be a left-leaning President, right? :lol

ChumpDumper
08-19-2010, 01:40 PM
I think most lefties were of the opinion that he supported the building of the mosque, not just their right to do so. I mean, he IS supposed to be a left-leaning President, right? :lolNo, he is a Muslim President. Of course he is going to support it.

CosmicCowboy
08-19-2010, 01:43 PM
Are you sure they know they can't legally stop it?

Link.

Well, I suppose if they lived in a cave and were blind, deaf, and dumb they might not know it. There is not a news outlet in the country including Fox that doesn't clearly state that building the mosque is within their constitutional rights. One should be able to safely assume that if they have heard about the issue then they have also heard that.

But no, I have no specific substantiating link that Thelma Lou in her double wide in Poughkeepsie clearly understands the first amendment issue as it relates to the Mosque.

ChumpDumper
08-19-2010, 01:48 PM
Well, I suppose if they lived in a cave and were blind, deaf, and dumb they might not know it. There is not a news outlet in the country including Fox that doesn't clearly state that building the mosque is within their constitutional rights. One should be able to safely assume that if they have heard about the issue then they have also heard that.

But no, I have no specific substantiating link that Thelma Lou in her double wide in Poughkeepsie clearly understands the first amendment issue as it relates to the Mosque.Well, I would only believe you if there were such a link. I believe there are polls out there that show a substantial minority if not a majority of people believe things like Saddam was behind the 9/11 attacks and TARP started under Obama.

IOW, people are stupid.

LnGrrrR
08-19-2010, 02:09 PM
Actually Chump, CC does have a small statistical finding to back up his claim.

Per Nate Silver: http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2010/08/obama-defense-of-ground-zero-mosque.html

The only poll to have gotten the distinction right, believe it or not, is the one from Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/081310_MosquePoll.pdf). They asked two separate questions about the planned development. First, they asked:

A group of Muslims plans to build a mosque and Islamic cultural center a few blocks from the site of the September 11 terrorist attacks in New York City. Do you think it is appropriate to build a mosque and Islamic center near ground zero, or do you think it would be wrong to do so?Only 30 percent of respondents said "appropriate", while 64 percent said "wrong" -- consistent with the apparent unpopularity of the mosque in other polls.

But Fox also followed up with this question:

Regardless of whether you think it is appropriate to build a mosque near ground zero, do you think the Muslim group has the right to build a mosque there, or don’t they have that right?Here, the numbers were nearly reversed: 61 percent of respondents, including 69 percent of independents and 57 percent of Republicans, said the developers had the right to build the mosque; 34 percent said they did not.

ChumpDumper
08-19-2010, 02:11 PM
Actually Chump, CC does have a small statistical finding to back up his claim.

Per Nate Silver: http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2010/08/obama-defense-of-ground-zero-mosque.htmlGood. I said i would believe it if I saw it.

rascal
08-19-2010, 05:39 PM

POTUS! You are an avid follower of conservative talk radio.

jack sommerset
08-19-2010, 05:40 PM
What's your take on Obama's stance on the mosque?
Thumbs down 86%
Thumbs up 14%

Total Votes: 325,773

How do you feel personally about plans to build a mosque near ground zero?
I'm completely against it 87%
I'm OK with it 8%
I completely support it 5%

Total Votes: 322,926

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/obama-slammed-praised-for-backing-ground-zero-mosque/19593700

fraga
08-19-2010, 05:47 PM
Rights > Opinion

rascal
08-19-2010, 05:48 PM
The right to build and the wisdom of building are the same thing to you?

Explain how they are the same thing.

Looks like you don't know what backtracking is, which is funny since you do it often enough.

Agree with this. Obama gave the correct answer on both counts.

fraga
08-19-2010, 05:50 PM
Do I agree with Nazi skinheads having a parade to shout their message...no...do I agree with that batshit crazy church who pickets the burials of dead soldiers with signs saying god hates fags...and god hates you...no....is it perfectly legal...yes...just another one of our freedoms...you can't pick and choose...

LnGrrrR
08-19-2010, 07:43 PM
Thumbs down 86%
Thumbs up 14%

I'm OK with it 8%

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/obama-slammed-praised-for-backing-ground-zero-mosque/19593700

To be fair, if someone uses AOL, then we really shouldn't be counting their opinion. :lol

CosmicCowboy
08-20-2010, 09:12 AM
POTUS! You are an avid follower of conservative talk radio.

Uhhhh no I'm not. I'm usually at my desk during the day. And in your ignorance you apparently don't know that POTUS is a secret service acronym that was in use long before conservative talk radio became popular...

nkdlunch
08-20-2010, 09:38 AM

now why would you let a little tiny things like law, legality and rights get in the way of Republican Conservative rhetoric?

Supergirl
08-20-2010, 09:42 AM
http://politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2010/aug/19/rick-lazio/ground-zero-mosque-ground-zero/

The entire premise of this thread is wrong. There is no proposal for a mosque at ground zero. It's not a mosque (it's an Islamic center) and it's not any more at Ground Zero than the Burlington Coat Factory was - because that was its previous occupant.

CosmicCowboy
08-20-2010, 09:43 AM
now why would you let a little tiny things like law, legality and rights get in the way of Republican Conservative rhetoric?

Uhhhhh.....sure are a lot of prominent Democrats spouting "Republican Conservative rhetoric" these days...

DMX7
08-20-2010, 08:11 PM
A great man once said, "And though I am a committed Christian, I believe that everyone has the right to their own religion, be you Hindu, Jewish or Muslim. I believe there are infinite paths to accepting Jesus Christ as your personal savior".

jack sommerset
08-20-2010, 08:25 PM
A great man once said, "And though I am a committed Christian, I believe that everyone has the right to their own religion, be you Hindu, Jewish or Muslim. I believe there are infinite paths to accepting Jesus Christ as your personal savior".

WTF does that have to do with a muslim supporting terrorist wanting to build a victory shrine on what is arguably the most sacred place in the USA. You might want to worry about "they" coming for your dumb ignorant ass. Keep trolling idiot. You amuse me.

Blackjack
08-20-2010, 08:40 PM
Obama said: "I was not commenting and I will not comment on the wisdom of making a decision to put a mosque there. I was commenting very specifically on the right that people have that dates back to our founding."

Obama said that "my intention was simply to let people know what I thought. Which was that in this country we treat everybody equally and in accordance with the law, regardless of race, regardless of religion."

Dude must really like to hear himself talk if he's going to put himself and party out there for "the water is wet" equivalent. :lol

DMX7
08-21-2010, 12:06 AM
WTF does that have to do with a muslim supporting terrorist wanting to build a victory shrine on what is arguably the most sacred place in the USA. You might want to worry about "they" coming for your dumb ignorant ass. Keep trolling idiot. You amuse me.

lol victory shrine

How about just build a bigger christian church. That'll show 'em!

ChumpDumper
08-21-2010, 04:20 AM
lol jack's stupidity per post measurement is off the charts.

George Gervin's Afro
08-21-2010, 07:46 AM

DarrinS
08-21-2010, 10:10 AM
The man at the very end of the video eloquently expresses the mission statement of Park 51 community center (a.k.a. Cordoba House)

enmQCEfT7A0

CosmicCowboy
08-21-2010, 10:58 AM
Mosque debate divides Democrats

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100819/ap_on_re_us/us_mosque_divided_democrats

LOL, Unions may vote not to build it

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/08/20/2010-08-20_we_wont_build_it_hardhats_say_no_way_they_will_ work_on_wtc_mosque.html

It seems to be a little more than an "Evil Republican/Fox News" issue.:lmao

Goran Dragic
08-21-2010, 11:12 AM
I guess by the logic of the idiot right wingers in this thread, Christians shouldn't be able to build a Church near the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City since Timothy McVeigh was a Christian.

admiralsnackbar
08-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Mosque debate divides Democrats

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100819/ap_on_re_us/us_mosque_divided_democrats

LOL, Unions may vote not to build it

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/08/20/2010-08-20_we_wont_build_it_hardhats_say_no_way_they_will_ work_on_wtc_mosque.html

It seems to be a little more than an "Evil Republican/Fox News" issue.:lmao

Yup. More of an "ignoramus" thing. Instead of trying to develop a community of Westernized moderate Muslims to counter the predominantly conservative interpretation of Islam in Middle Eastern countries (not to mention the batshit-crazy sects), a lot of us would rather fall into the US vs Them ideology that can only lead to escalating conflict over time. Great strategy!

spursncowboys
Did your professor tell you that one?

Goran Dragic
Thumbs down 86%
Thumbs up 14%

I'm OK with it 8%

If you had a bunch of Americans vote on whether they were for or against segregation in the 1940's or 1950's, what do you think the results would be?

spursncowboys
08-21-2010, 11:16 AM
What is lost in this is all the survey's by muslims in america who say they never experience religious intolerance as compared to most European muslims who do.

Goran Dragic
08-21-2010, 11:17 AM
Did your professor tell you that one?
Way to dodge the fact it's based off the same logic you're brainwashed self is using in this thread.

CosmicCowboy
I guess by the logic of the idiot right wingers in this thread, Christians shouldn't be able to build a Church near the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City since Timothy McVeigh was a Christian.

Cute, but you analogy doesn't withstand scrutiny.

McVeigh did not martyr himself and kill those people in the name of Christianity. He was just a sick fuck.

Next?

spursncowboys
If you had a bunch of Americans vote on whether they were for or against segregation in the 1940's or 1950's, what do you think the results would be?
What do you think the result would be?