PDA

View Full Version : Ocean’s Color Affects Hurricane Paths

Marcus Bryant
08-14-2010, 10:49 AM
http://www.agu.org/news/press/pr_archives/2010/2010-25.shtml

LnGrrrR
08-14-2010, 06:05 PM
Crazy stuff Marcus. Thanks for posting. It's rare I enjoy an article about hurricanes after living in Biloxi.

Wild Cobra
08-14-2010, 09:43 PM
It seems to me their chlorophyll theory can work both ways. The collection of sunlight, and the making of the chlorophyll uses energy. This makes the temperature cooler than a pigment of the same color that would just absorb heat.

MannyIsGod
08-14-2010, 09:48 PM
Except that another such pigment isn't found the way chlorophyll is so whats the point of that observation?

Wild Cobra
08-14-2010, 10:04 PM
Except that another such pigment isn't found the way chlorophyll is so whats the point of that observation?
They write the article as if just the pigment of the plant life causes the effect, without addressing the latent energy transfer of chemical reactions.

The energy changing to latent energy has the opposite effect of a nonreactive pigment.

MannyIsGod
08-14-2010, 10:06 PM
ok - well you should let them know that their study is complete bullshit then. WC knows best.

Wild Cobra
08-14-2010, 10:15 PM
ok - well you should let them know that their study is complete bullshit then. WC knows best.
I'm saying their explanation is incomplete, or maybe they don't understand that part of chemistry. It could work as they say, with the latent energy being smaller than the energy to direct heat.

Their energy calculations and model would be wrong if they don't include the chemical conversions.

Maybe also, they are writing for an uneducated crowd, which wouldn't understand such concepts as well. Like the IPCC does.

MannyIsGod
08-15-2010, 02:19 AM
Everyone should run their studies by you to make sure they're WC approved. They're obviously wrong otherwise.

TE
08-15-2010, 02:50 AM
Interesting article. Did not know this part of hurricane mechanism formation. Never had it crossed my mind that chlorophyll played a major role. Makes much more sense now considering the probably changes of the physical properties in a oceanic medium absent of chlorophyll.

@WildCobra

They probably do know the mechanism for the interaction of this chemical phenomenon. I think this article was intended to be written for the scientifically illiterate community.

Wild Cobra
08-15-2010, 08:04 PM
Everyone should run their studies by you to make sure they're WC approved. They're obviously wrong otherwise.
I didn't say it was wrong. Just incomplete, at least in what was written.

Wild Cobra
08-15-2010, 08:05 PM
They probably do know the mechanism for the interaction of this chemical phenomenon. I think this article was intended to be written for the scientifically illiterate community.
Probably so.

MannyIsGod
08-16-2010, 09:41 PM
I didn't say it was wrong. Just incomplete, at least in what was written.

It could be that they didn't add 2 + 2 correctly either. If only they submitted such studies to peer review so that others could double check.

You're a buffoon jumping to conclusions based on nothing.

Wild Cobra
08-16-2010, 10:49 PM
You're a buffoon jumping to conclusions based on nothing.
Where did I jump to conclusions?