PDA

View Full Version : Utsa>>>>>>***

lebomb
08-14-2010, 03:21 PM
My sister has her Bachelors/Masters from Utsa..............she got her job as a counseler at UT Austin over 250 applicants. Over 250 applicants through out the United States. :toast Congrats to her!!!

Meep Meep!!!!!!

Haters :hat

ashbeeigh
08-14-2010, 09:52 PM
Well congratulations to your sister. What type of internships did she have before she landed the job? That's probably what helped her more than where her degree was from.

balli
08-14-2010, 09:54 PM
Maybe she's just really good at giving head?

CubanMustGo
08-14-2010, 10:51 PM
Congrats to your sister; at the same time, this very recent headline from Kens5.com seems appropriate:

Back of Pack? UTSA 603rd of 610 schools ranked by Forbes list (http://www.kens5.com/news/local/UTSA-ranked-603rd-out-of-610-colleges-by-Forbes-100662084.html)

Congratulations!

Trainwreck2100
08-14-2010, 11:04 PM
at least we know your sister's a looker

BadOdor
08-14-2010, 11:22 PM
lol utsa

BlackSwordsMan
08-14-2010, 11:26 PM
lol hiring an hispanic female just to meet quota

BadOdor
08-14-2010, 11:29 PM
Congrats to your sister; at the same time, this very recent headline from Kens5.com seems appropriate:

Back of Pack? UTSA 603rd of 610 schools ranked by Forbes list (http://www.kens5.com/news/local/UTSA-ranked-603rd-out-of-610-colleges-by-Forbes-100662084.html)

Congratulations!

The ranking placed UTSA dead last among the 23 Texas schools that were ranked.:lol:lol:lol

DesignatedT
08-14-2010, 11:29 PM
lol.

MannyIsGod
08-15-2010, 01:14 AM
UNM got 239. Not horrible I guess.

Oh and, LOL UTSA.

EDIT: N/M the ranking I was looking at was last years. UTSA was 568 last year so they went down quite a bit. UNM dropped nearly 200 places!!! Jesus.

My guess is that the recession in some way shape or form has hurt schools with larger populations of non traditional students more than others.

DMX7
08-15-2010, 01:20 AM
Williams College being #1 is all you need to know about that list.

And I think Harvey Mudd college was top 25, lol.

MannyIsGod
08-15-2010, 01:31 AM
They actually use ratemyproffessor.com ratings?

Wow....

MannyIsGod
08-15-2010, 01:32 AM
The rest of their methodology doesn't look too bad but the RMP.com shit is nearly 20% of their weighting.

Thats pretty fucking LOL.

Glenn Holland
08-15-2010, 03:57 AM
Latinas(MEXICAN women to be specific) give A M A Z I N g HeAd.

they WORSHIP THE COCK.

Dr. Gonzo
08-15-2010, 10:27 AM
UTSA is going to be a Tier 1 research university!!!!

Drachen
08-16-2010, 08:58 AM
Using rate my professor is pretty bad, however, the report did say that just being on the list is cause to rejoice because even the last school on the list is in the top 9% in the country. Pretty cool that some of those schools are represented here at the forum.

lebomb
08-16-2010, 09:12 AM
HEY!!! Where tha fuck did this thread come from? :lmao I wasnt even online Saturday!!!! I wasnt even home Saturday the 14th.

Oh well. *shrugs*

TDMVPDPOY
08-16-2010, 10:25 AM
post pics of sister or gtfo

mavs>spurs2
08-16-2010, 10:36 AM
University of Dallas is ranked pretty high..also UT Arlington is #442 I think they should be higher due to their accounting and engineering departments..

JoeChalupa
08-16-2010, 10:59 AM
And here my oldest was thinking of going to UTSA and now it is nothing but a BS degree? Would she be better off going to A&M here in SA?

Soul_Patch
08-16-2010, 11:06 AM
And here my oldest was thinking of going to UTSA and now it is nothing but a BS degree? Would she be better off going to A&M here in SA?

Id like to meet an employer who actually cares about where a degree comes from.

Id venture to guess, unless its Ivy League, no one really cares.

JoeChalupa
08-16-2010, 11:18 AM
Id like to meet an employer who actually cares about where a degree comes from.

Id venture to guess, unless its Ivy League, no one really cares.

Well I'm sure seeing a Harvard or Yale degree does stand out but I've heard nothing but bad reviews of UTSA on here yet I've got several friends and family members who went there and they have great jobs making good money. Just makes me wonder if I should discourage her from UTSA.

Soul_Patch
08-16-2010, 11:40 AM
Well I'm sure seeing a Harvard or Yale degree does stand out but I've heard nothing but bad reviews of UTSA on here yet I've got several friends and family members who went there and they have great jobs making good money. Just makes me wonder if I should discourage her from UTSA.

I have a degree from UTSA and am making above average money in San Antonio. I don't recall anyone ever asking me where my degree came from, or even asking for proof of a degree for that matter. I am considering returning to UTSA for an MBA in the near future.

Perhaps if you are fresh out of college with little to know experience, where your degree came from may hold a little weight, but i dont think it matters that much. I don't even think myself, nor my wife (who has a masters from OLLU) puts our respective colleges on our resume.

Drachen
08-16-2010, 11:46 AM

I didn't check A&M Kingsville for ranking on the list (this is A&M san antonio, its just a satellite campus of Kingsville). However, as was previously posted this list ranks the top 610 schools out of the 6600 in the country and the report specifically says that just being on the list means that the school is "in the top 9%" (actually 9.24%) of schools in the country. If you are worried about it, and want to check to see if A&M Kingsville is present on the list, then search for the forbes college list.

Edit: the only A&M on the list is college station. The only other San Antonio schools on the list (that I saw) are Trinity and St. Mary's.

MavDynasty
08-16-2010, 11:46 AM
utsa :lmao

Drachen
08-16-2010, 11:57 AM
:lol good ol utsa

:sigh: I know, I saw that too and thought "what great fodder for this thread."

MannyIsGod
08-16-2010, 02:08 PM
I have a degree from UTSA and am making above average money in San Antonio. I don't recall anyone ever asking me where my degree came from, or even asking for proof of a degree for that matter. I am considering returning to UTSA for an MBA in the near future.

Perhaps if you are fresh out of college with little to know experience, where your degree came from may hold a little weight, but i dont think it matters that much. I don't even think myself, nor my wife (who has a masters from OLLU) puts our respective colleges on our resume.

That's because no employer believes anyone is stupid enough to make up they got a psych degree from UTSA!

:toast

I'm just kidding but if you leave one hanging over the plate like that it must be done.

I do think you're wrong, however. I don't think your employer cares about your degree so much because you're not in a field that uses it if I remember correctly. Well known programs will definitely help you get in the door of places that a lot of people want in on. Also studying under a well known or connected professor (better yet getting a recommendation from such a prof) that many of the better schools tend to have can also be a golden key into a lot of places.

Jekka
08-16-2010, 05:55 PM

It depends on what she wants to do. If she doesn't know, then UTSA is a cheap place to figure that out and you can transfer some place more specialized if she isn't building a good relationship with the profs at UTSA. However, I firmly believe that if you're going to go to a school like UTSA (ie not highly ranked) then you HAVE to proactively engage with your professors. If you work hard, then UTSA is a place for you to easily maintain a high GPA and use excellent recommendations to get into a better grad school or great internships.

My degrees from UTSA are in History and American Studies - would I have EVER considered those terminal degrees based on where they come from? Hell no. The best ways to go to UTSA are if you've got a particular program in mind or if you're planning on continuing your education afterwards.

UTSA isn't an awful school, and you can get a great education there if you ask for it and work for it, but in terms of marketing your degree later you are going to be battling its reputation depending on what you're doing career-wise.

baseline bum
08-16-2010, 06:05 PM
Williams College being #1 is all you need to know about that list.

And I think Harvey Mudd college was top 25, lol.

You're talking out your fucking ass here. Harvey Mudd College is perhaps the best undergraduate school in America. Their engineering, physics, and mathematics programs are unreal. Undergraduates have access to professors and ability to do research that not even schools like MIT can offer. Every student in the school either does significant research or gets real world experience on major projects with some of the strongest companies America has to offer. Harvey Mudd and Caltech routinely battle each other for spots #1 and #2 for the highest proportion of undergraduates who go on to successfully complete PhDs. It's one of the most valuable educations in the world.

ploto
08-16-2010, 06:20 PM
The ranking placed UTSA dead last among the 23 Texas schools that were ranked.

Stupidest sentence in the article. Does he even have a clue as to how many schools in Texas did not even make the list? UTSA was not last of anything; it was #23 of the colleges in Texas.

Soul_Patch
08-16-2010, 06:31 PM
That's because no employer believes anyone is stupid enough to make up they got a psych degree from UTSA!

:toast

I'm just kidding but if you leave one hanging over the plate like that it must be done.

I do think you're wrong, however. I don't think your employer cares about your degree so much because you're not in a field that uses it if I remember correctly. Well known programs will definitely help you get in the door of places that a lot of people want in on. Also studying under a well known or connected professor (better yet getting a recommendation from such a prof) that many of the better schools tend to have can also be a golden key into a lot of places.

Lol, you are probably right.

I started school thinking i was going to get a marine biology degree at A & M Corpus Christi. I'm not sure where along the line i decided i wanted to pursue psychology, or even why, but i did and completed a good portion of hours in that degree. My plan was to eventually get a phd in I/O Psych. Then i left school and moved to Austin. Got a Job at Dell with a completely fake resume and decided to go back to school for IS at a tech school. At that time you could make just as much money without school as with it, so i just quit altogether, as ITT was stupid expensive.

Fast forward to 2009, and i literally needed 12 to 15hrs to finish a psych degree, so figured why not and did it.

All that said, i attended:

Del Mar College
Texas A&M Corpus Christi
San Antonio College
ITT Tech
UTSA

Every one of those schools pretty much felt the same as far as quality of education. So, hard to say UTSA was any better or worse.

BadOdor
08-16-2010, 07:58 PM
You're talking out your fucking ass here. Harvey Mudd College is perhaps the best undergraduate school in America. Their engineering, physics, and mathematics programs are unreal. Undergraduates have access to professors and ability to do research that not even schools like MIT can offer. Every student in the school either does significant research or gets real world experience on major projects with some of the strongest companies America has to offer. Harvey Mudd and Caltech routinely battle each other for spots #1 and #2 for the highest proportion of undergraduates who go on to successfully complete PhDs. It's one of the most valuable educations in the world.

I can vouch for that. My good friend from high school just finished his undergrad in computer science/electrical engineering, and will be going to Notre dam on a 30k a year stipend to get his PhD in Aerodynamics there. He had no problem getting an internship every summer. That place is legit.

JoeChalupa
08-16-2010, 08:44 PM
It depends on what she wants to do. If she doesn't know, then UTSA is a cheap place to figure that out and you can transfer some place more specialized if she isn't building a good relationship with the profs at UTSA. However, I firmly believe that if you're going to go to a school like UTSA (ie not highly ranked) then you HAVE to proactively engage with your professors. If you work hard, then UTSA is a place for you to easily maintain a high GPA and use excellent recommendations to get into a better grad school or great internships.

My degrees from UTSA are in History and American Studies - would I have EVER considered those terminal degrees based on where they come from? Hell no. The best ways to go to UTSA are if you've got a particular program in mind or if you're planning on continuing your education afterwards.

UTSA isn't an awful school, and you can get a great education there if you ask for it and work for it, but in terms of marketing your degree later you are going to be battling its reputation depending on what you're doing career-wise.

Thank you. That is what I was hoping to hear because I do know quite a few who have UTSA degrees and are doing very well. But I also don't make bad money, IMO that is, and I don't even have an associate's degree. The VP of my division at work went to SAC and UTSA all on tuition reimbursement and makes over 100K a year. Granted his work experience and working his way up probably had more to do with it than his UTSA degree but it sure hasn't hurt.

ashbeeigh
08-16-2010, 09:30 PM

Yep, because everyone is going to be an engineer. :rolleyes

MannyIsGod
08-16-2010, 09:44 PM
Yep, because everyone is going to be an engineer. :rolleyes

What exactly is your point? I don't think BB was saying everyone is going to be or should be an engineer. He merely pointed out HMC's status as an elite school and why.

baseline bum
08-16-2010, 10:10 PM
Ash, dude was making sarcastic remarks about an outstanding liberal arts college being ranked #1, and then seemingly acting like HMC was the same kind of 'joke of a school' (I'm not saying that by any stretch, just paraphrasing). Harvey Mudd has a very strong alliance with a liberal arts school in the area, I believe Pomona College (but I'm not 100%), where students from one often take classes from the other. This school is excellent also. Please don't take think I'm taking a shot at liberal arts though in that post; I should have clarified that it was perhaps the best undergraduate technical college in the nation.

baseline bum
08-16-2010, 10:14 PM
Needless to say, if I was an undergrad wanting to pursue some form of engineering, Harvey Mudd College would be right there with MIT, Berkeley, and Caltech among my top choices. The only schools I could definitively say I'd choose over HMC in that situation would be the IITs in India (can an American even attend them though?).

ashbeeigh
08-16-2010, 11:01 PM
Oh my god. I try to be snotty and snarky for once and people jump on me. Get over it. I don't care...honestly.

Good for anyone who wants to be an engineer. GO engineer the shit outta stuff at some school I've never heard of that has great connections and a great program.

MannyIsGod
08-16-2010, 11:26 PM
Well if you were just trying to be a douche then I'd say you suck as a troll. You just can't win. And yeah, nothing says I don't care like posting that you don't care. Well done.

Tommy Tuberville
08-17-2010, 03:19 AM
I have told my players day in and day out that posting on the net can get you in a heap of trouble. No matter what it is, it can come back to haunt you. And this post by lebomb, is a prime example. You have allowed the College forum posters insight on your family....not good little man.

Congrats to your sister, but you should find some friends to tell, and not post that on the net. You deserve the shit you are going to get during this fall's football season.

Go Red Raiders!

Tubbs

lebomb
08-17-2010, 07:19 AM
I have told my players day in and day out that posting on the net can get you in a heap of trouble. No matter what it is, it can come back to haunt you. And this post by lebomb, is a prime example. You have allowed the College forum posters insight on your family....not good little man.

Congrats to your sister, but you should find some friends to tell, and not post that on the net. You deserve the shit you are going to get during this fall's football season.

Go Red Raiders!

Tubbs

Hey, I was just happy for my sister. No biggie.

Also Utsa is not >>>>> *** really. Just Tekka Tech. Anyhow, I was just having some fun with the haters on ST. So dont get your victorias secret panties in a bunch. :rolleyes

CubanMustGo
08-17-2010, 07:20 AM
Since I was the one to post the snarky "UTSA 604 out of 610" (or whatever it is), only fair to note that the school was named to the top tier of western regional universities (http://premium.usnews.com/best-colleges/san-antonio-tx/utsa-10115) (T62nd) by US News & World Reports yesterday. Congrats!

lebomb
08-17-2010, 07:27 AM
Since I was the one to post the snarky "UTSA 604 out of 610" (or whatever it is), only fair to note that the school was named to the top tier of western regional universities (http://premium.usnews.com/best-colleges/san-antonio-tx/utsa-10115) (T62nd) by US News & World Reports yesterday. Congrats!

Hey, Utsa isnt there yet, but the U is slowly moving up. Thats good news.

By the way, DMX broke the US News information in the Utsa area.

PS. You basturd for getting us riled up on the 603 out of 610 thingy!!! :lol

Dr. Gonzo
08-17-2010, 08:33 AM
The ranking placed UTSA dead last among the 23 Texas schools that were ranked.

Stupidest sentence in the article. Does he even have a clue as to how many schools in Texas did not even make the list? UTSA was not last of anything; it was #23 of the colleges in Texas.

UTSA was last among the 23 Texas school THAT WERE RANKED.

EmptyMan
08-17-2010, 09:06 AM
lmao, I know lots of utsa alum my age making good bank out of college.

The UTSA haters are probably the same fags that cheer for UT in football and never even went to the school. Unless you are trying to get into a top corp, the location of the degree is not that big of a deal. YOU are what will get you to beat chumps in competition.

Oh noooo, you might actually have to start at the bottom and work your way up. The horror. :rolleyes

PakiDan
08-17-2010, 01:51 PM

Congratulations!

Keep in mind there are over six thousand four year universities in the country, this ranking is just the top 610 in the country. I don't like how the article makes it sound like UTSA is the worst school in TX, when there are TONS of TX schools not even ranked/on the list. Texas Corpus Cristi, Stephen F Austin University, Texas Wesleyan University, and University of Mary Hardin Baylor are a few just off the top of my head. "Whether they're in the top 10 or near the end of the list, all 610 schools in this ranking count among the best in the country: We review just 9% of the 6,600 accredited postsecondary institutions in the U.S., so appearing on our list at all is an indication that a school meets a high standard"

estaven said on August 14, 2010 at 12:06 PM