PDA

View Full Version : Mafia II

Xevious
08-15-2010, 06:13 PM
xXayzihCGlc
Bxaf4c-WTos

http://www.mafia2game.com

There's quite a few trailers and developer diaries on the official website, plus the demo. I actually didn't realize it was this close to being released (Aug. 24). The first one is one of my favorite games. Here's hoping the sequel is just as good. :toast

Anyone else looking forward to it?

badfish22
08-15-2010, 06:19 PM
the demo is pretty cool

MaNuMaNiAc
08-15-2010, 07:02 PM
Agreed, I'm just glad the developer didn't decide to fuck PC gamers like the rest of the others. See, these people get my money.

Xevious
08-16-2010, 07:44 AM
Found this picture last night. It of course could just be coincidence. The first guy looks rather generic, and chubby Italian guys are a dime a dozen in mobster movies. But it'll be a nice twist if Vito (the sequel's protagonist) is involved in the epilogue of the first game somehow.

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/8113/resemblancevo8.jpg

DarkReign
08-16-2010, 08:18 AM
There is a demo available?

I'll check that out tonight.

Xevious
08-24-2010, 02:40 AM
Releases today. :tu

Xevious
08-25-2010, 06:22 PM
Well, I had a couple days off and finished it if anybody cares. It only took me 12 hours, and I was sitting idle for stretches in there so it may be even shorter.

Like the first game, the storyline was strong, but it felt rushed this time around. I got the impression that certain story and gameplay elements were dropped for some reason. For example, they made a point to introduce a couple characters early that could give you jobs for cash, even marking their location on your map. But every time you visit them, they just say they have nothing for you to do. Not that it really matters, cash is pretty pointless in the game as there isn't a whole lot to do whenever you have an opportunity to free-roam.

There's a whole lot I could rant about, but I'll keep it short. It was actually fun while it lasted. Just not worth the $60. I'm disappointed mostly because I loved the first one so much.

DarkReign
08-25-2010, 06:45 PM
I was/am interested.

I watched the Gamespot review and they basically came to the same conclusion as you.

Cool game, great mechanics, not much to do.

Xevious
08-25-2010, 07:01 PM
Cool game, great mechanics, not much to do.
Yeah, exactly. The devs seem uncompromising in their staunch linear gameplay, even removing the freeroam mode that was in the first game. Which is actually okay with me... but they could've added a little something just to kill time if the storyline is going to be that short.

I guess I haven't played a game that linear in a while.

Chomag
08-26-2010, 03:16 PM
Well, I had a couple days off and finished it if anybody cares. It only took me 12 hours, and I was sitting idle for stretches in there so it may be even shorter.

Like the first game, the storyline was strong, but it felt rushed this time around. I got the impression that certain story and gameplay elements were dropped for some reason. For example, they made a point to introduce a couple characters early that could give you jobs for cash, even marking their location on your map. But every time you visit them, they just say they have nothing for you to do. Not that it really matters, cash is pretty pointless in the game as there isn't a whole lot to do whenever you have an opportunity to free-roam.

There's a whole lot I could rant about, but I'll keep it short. It was actually fun while it lasted. Just not worth the $60. I'm disappointed mostly because I loved the first one so much.

Hey thanks for your take on it. Based on your view I decided to rent it over buying it. I liked it but beat it in a bit over 11 hours. I did love it as a rental but I probebly wouldn't be pleased with it as a purchase.