PDA

View Full Version : SportsJury ranks top 10 nba players of all time

BigTexAlum
08-16-2010, 05:27 PM
http://www.thesportsjury.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=113&catid=43&Itemid=94

Then gives the user the option to rank his/her own top 10.

#5 Tim Duncan
Championships: 4
MVPs: 2 Finals MVPs: 3
All Star: 12 All NBA: 13 (9x 1st | 3x 2nd | 1x 3rd) All Defense: 13 (8x 1st | 5x 2nd) (Note: Duncan is all time leader in All Defense selections)

Nice to see Timmy getting the love he deserves

Solid D
08-16-2010, 05:35 PM
Dude, that's whack. I think Gregg Popovich would disagree with putting Magic and Kobe below Timmy.

Cane
08-16-2010, 05:39 PM
Timmy ranks over Kobe, Magic and Bird... not so much.

Seventyniner
08-16-2010, 07:17 PM
Erving Johnson?! 'Nuff said.

J_Paco
08-16-2010, 07:20 PM
Timmy ranks over Kobe, Magic and Bird... not so much.

Since their basing it on accolades then Timmy has a case. But, his impact on the history of the NBA isn't as significant as Bird and Johnson. If he had played in New York, Boston or Los Angeles it wouldn't be looked at so poorly.

Blackjack
08-16-2010, 07:37 PM
I love Bird but I have no problem ranking Timmy above him; Magic not so much.

ajh18
08-16-2010, 09:38 PM
Of those three, Magic is the only one I'd rank ahead of Duncan. Kobe and Bird both are below him.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
08-16-2010, 11:25 PM
Phila, why don't you round off your list at 10?

Russo21
08-17-2010, 01:02 AM
Brilliant. Just Brilliant.

A toast to Timmy at number 5 all time:toast

I didn't realise he was number 1 on all time defensive team selections, wow! Nice to see TD getting the recognition he deserves.

I can't remember which year it was, i think 2003, Ray Allen went on record saying he thought Tim was a top 5 player All Time. Good judgment Ray Ray:king

Well done Timmy. The drive for five continues...

mystargtr34
08-17-2010, 01:32 AM
Dude, that's whack. I think Gregg Popovich would disagree with putting Magic and Kobe below Timmy.

You serious?

mystargtr34
08-17-2010, 01:35 AM
IMO Duncan and Kobe are too high... neither should be above Magic. I think you can probably make a case for Duncan and Kobe over Bird... but i would probably only rank Duncan higher if i were to do so.. but i still place Bird higher because his impact and greatness probly goes a little deeper than what he did on the basketball court.

1. Jordan
2. Kareem
3. Russell
4. Wilt
5. Magic
6. Bird
7. Duncan
8. Hakeem
9. Shaq
10. Kobe

Thats my list..

rmt
08-17-2010, 08:46 AM
There are really too many players I like. But I'll give it a shot. This is greatest, not the mock draft thing.

1. Wilt
2. Kareem
3. Jordan
4. Duncan
5. Russell
6. Magic
7. Bird
8. Erving
9. Shaq
10. Oscar Robertson

Erving is a bit of a surprise to a lot of people I'm sure. Maybe not. But honestly his best years were in the ABA where he did some amazing things that no one had ever seen before. By the time he got to the NBA he was on two bad knees and past his prime, yet he was still one of the best players in the league until he retired. And a lot of people think that the ABA talent level was not as good as the NBA, really it wasn't. If there was a world series of basketball I am fairly confident that the Pacers, Colonels and Nets would have given the NBA teams runs for their money. And by the time Wilt and Russell retired they probably would have won a couple of those proposed "world series" match ups. They just never happened because the NBA didn't want to risk the "what if we lose" and honestly I think the the ABA didn't want to risk the "what if we get our asses kicked?" So instead there was at least one ABA All-Stars vs NBA All-Stars game. A game in which Wilt Chamberlain dominated Artis Gilmore and company.

Moving on, I just really like the Doctor. His bio is a must read on my long list of books I want to read.
Phila, your list seems to favor big men as you explained. But no love for Shaq?

After listening to Malone's HOF speech and his 10 missed games in 19 seasons, one wonders what Shaq would have accomplished if he had quarter/half the work ethic.

Blackjack
08-17-2010, 11:11 AM
IMO Duncan and Kobe are too high... neither should be above Magic. I think you can probably make a case for Duncan and Kobe over Bird... but i would probably only rank Duncan higher if i were to do so.. but i still place Bird higher because his impact and greatness probly goes a little deeper than what he did on the basketball court.

1. Jordan
2. Kareem
3. Russell
4. Wilt
5. Magic
6. Bird
7. Duncan
8. Hakeem
9. Shaq
10. Kobe

Thats my list..

I've never been much into lists or predictions but that's a pretty damn solid Top-10. I might even be able to co-sign if you flip Duncan and Bird, and I'm talking about on the merits of the player and not impact off the court or importance to the game.

But it's fluid and Kobe still has the opportunity to move up a good deal.

coyotes_geek
08-17-2010, 11:12 AM
i love bird but i have no problem ranking timmy above him; magic not so much.

+1

lefty
08-17-2010, 11:18 AM
lol at Kobe in the top 10

Isiah was much better

Blackjack
08-17-2010, 11:41 AM
Bird was an amazing player don't get me wrong, and he was a much better athlete than he is given credit for, and he is probably the most cold blooded clutch player of his era, but again, I would rather have Duncan because he is still better.

I agree. He had Bird over Duncan, which led me to believe they should be flipped.

Bird was more important to the game and captured the imagination more than Duncan ever has. But as a player and on the basis of their actual accomplishments on the court, it's easy for me to put Tim above Larry, and Bird's always been one of my all-time favorite players.

in2deep
08-17-2010, 11:47 AM

:lmao

Kobe has a hard time even getting to top 10

1. Wilt
2. Jordan
3. Magic
4. Kareem
5. Russell
6. Duncan
7. Shaq
8. Bird
9. Robertson
10. Kobe/ Hakeem / Malone / Thomas/ Dr J?

hater
08-17-2010, 12:02 PM
Duncan ranks no less than 4 or 5 as GOAT

Shaq 6 or 7

Kobe 9 or 10

Kobe could move up 1 or 2 positions depending on what happens his last years in the league. But it's a very very long shot he could overtake TD

elemento
08-17-2010, 12:15 PM
Good ranking

Pretty much agree with everything

DAF86
08-17-2010, 12:36 PM

What?! Are you serious? I can't bealive how overrated Kobe is by some people.

DAF86
08-17-2010, 12:37 PM
Shaq should be higher on that list, a lot higher.

phxspurfan
08-17-2010, 01:33 PM
I had no idea Kareem had won that many MVPs. But yeah Magic should be above Duncan, or at least 5a and 5b.

Galileo
08-17-2010, 02:47 PM
This is a great list, with Duncan # 5. I would actually put him at # 4.

Other changes:

Jordan is NOT # 1.

The Dream should be in the top 10.

Magic is better than Kobe.

Galileo
08-17-2010, 03:38 PM
Yeah, I have trouble placing Akeem on my list. He is no lower than top 12 for sure, but I just don't want to bump other players.

I'd rather have Hakeem than Bird. I'd put Hakeem ahead of Shack, slightly. Hakeem is obviously better than Oscar Robertson. And he is better than Kobe easily, who does not belong on this list at all.

Also, Jerry West was better than Oscar.

ambchang
08-17-2010, 03:43 PM
Any list that puts Kobe above Magic, Shaq and Hakeem is retarded.

Agloco
08-17-2010, 04:39 PM
Jordan is NOT # 1.

Yeah he is. :lol

Galileo
08-17-2010, 05:06 PM
Yeah he is. :lol

Jordan is a guard. he is not on the same level as Kareem.

DAF86
08-17-2010, 08:22 PM
Kobe has to be considered top 10 now.

Why? because he isn't playing as well as he used to play some years ago? It's ridiculous how NBA fans tend to rate a (franchise) player depending on how his team performs. Kobe isn't a better player now than three or four years ago.

TD 21
08-17-2010, 08:47 PM
Why? because he isn't playing as well as he used to play some years ago? It's ridiculous how NBA fans tend to rate a (franchise) player depending on how his team performs. Kobe isn't a better player now than three or four years ago.

Why? Because the media told us he's not just a certified top ten player now, but he somehow managed to leapfrog more than half of the top ten and is now in the discussion with Jordan and Johnson apparently. Incredible that he was able to do this despite having a mediocre season by his standards and overall, a good playoff run, but not a historically great playoff run.

People seemingly forget now, but before the Gasol "trade", Bryant wasn't mentioned in the same breathe as Duncan and O'Neal historically. A few gifted championships/Finals MVP's later and he's supposedly left them in the dust.

The new list of all time greats is Jordan, Bryant, Johnson and Bird. Never mind big men, they don't count, they're not flashy enough.