PDA

View Full Version : Time to feel old.

RandomGuy
08-17-2010, 04:41 PM
Read it and weep you old foagies.

By DINESH RAMDE, Associated Press Writer Dinesh Ramde, Associated Press Writer – Tue Aug 17, 9:24 am ET
MILWAUKEE – For students entering college this fall, e-mail is too slow, phones have never had cords and the computers they played with as kids are now in museums.

The Class of 2014 thinks of Clint Eastwood more as a sensitive director than as Dirty Harry urging punks to "go ahead, make my day." Few incoming freshmen know how to write in cursive or have ever worn a wristwatch.

These are among the 75 items on this year's Beloit College Mindset List. The compilation, released Tuesday, is assembled each year by two officials at this private school of about 1,400 students in Beloit, Wis.

The list is meant to remind teachers that cultural references familiar to them might draw blank stares from college freshmen born mostly in 1992.

Of course, it can also have the unintended consequence of making people feel old.

[Related: America's best colleges ranked in new report]

Remember when Dr. Jack Kevorkian, Dan Quayle or Rodney King were in the news? These kids don't.

Ever worry about a Russian missile strike on the U.S.? During these students' lives, Russians and Americans have always been living together in outer space.

Being aware of the generation gap helps professors craft lesson plans that are more meaningful, said Ron Nief, a former public affairs director at Beloit College and one of the list's creators.

Nief and English professor Tom McBride have assembled the Mindset List for 13 years. They say it's given them an unusual perspective on cultural shifts.

For example, as item No. 13 on the list says, "Parents and teachers feared that Beavis and Butt-head might be the voice of a lost generation."

With far edgier content available today, such as "South Park" or online videos that push the envelope, there's something quaint about recalling the hand-wringing that the MTV cartoon prompted, Nief said.

"I think we do that with every generation — we look back and say, what were we getting so upset about?" he said. "A, kids outgrow it and B, in retrospect we realize it really wasn't that bad."

Another Mindset List item reflects a possible shift in Hollywood attitudes. Item No. 12 notes: "Clint Eastwood is better known as a sensitive director than as Dirty Harry."

A number of incoming freshmen said they partially agreed with the item, noting they were familiar with Eastwood's work as an actor even if they hadn't seen his films.

"I know he directed movies but I also know he's supposed to be sort of bad-ass," said Aaron Ziontz, 18, from Seattle.

Jessica Peck, a 17-year-old from Portland, Ore., disagreed with two items on the list — one that says few students know how to write in cursive, and another that suggests this generation seldom if ever uses snail mail.

"Snail mail's kind of fun. When I have time I like writing letters to friends and family," she said. "It's just a bit more personal. And yes, I write in cursive."

Peck did agree with the item pointing out that most teens have never used telephones with cords.

"Yes, I've used them but only at my grandparents' house," she said.

That's the sort of comment that can make a person feel old. McBride jokes that he's not immune from feeling ancient just because he compiles the items. But the 65-year-old said the lists can also reveal a larger truth about tolerance.

The "Beavis and Butt-head" item suggests that maybe parents shouldn't overreact every time a controversy arises, he noted. For example, maybe it's no big deal if college freshmen misspell words when they text, and maybe their attention spans will be just fine even though they grew up in the Internet age, he said.

"There's something about the resilience of human nature that renders these gloom-and-doom prophesies moot after a while," he said. "I can't say for sure, but it looks like the track record of these very anxious prophets has not been impressive over the years."

((the full list for those interested))

The Beloit College Mindset List for the Class of 2014

Most students entering college for the first time this fall—the Class of 2014—were born in 1992.
For these students, Benny Hill, Sam Kinison, Sam Walton, Bert Parks and Tony Perkins have always been dead.

1. Few in the class know how to write in cursive.

2. Email is just too slow, and they seldom if ever use snail mail.

3. “Go West, Young College Grad” has always implied “and don’t stop until you get to Asia…and learn Chinese along the way.”

4. Al Gore has always been animated.

5. Los Angelenos have always been trying to get along.

6. Buffy has always been meeting her obligations to hunt down Lothos and the other blood-suckers at Hemery High.

7. “Caramel macchiato” and “venti half-caf vanilla latte” have always been street corner lingo.

8. With increasing numbers of ramps, Braille signs, and handicapped parking spaces, the world has always been trying harder to accommodate people with disabilities.

9. Had it remained operational, the villainous computer HAL could be their college classmate this fall, but they have a better chance of running into Miley Cyrus’s folks on Parents’ Weekend.

10. A quarter of the class has at least one immigrant parent, and the immigration debate is not a big priority…unless it involves “real” aliens from another planet.

11. John McEnroe has never played professional tennis.

12. Clint Eastwood is better known as a sensitive director than as Dirty Harry.

13. Parents and teachers feared that Beavis and Butt-head might be the voice of a lost generation.

14. Doctor Kevorkian has never been licensed to practice medicine.

15. Colorful lapel ribbons have always been worn to indicate support for a cause.

16. Korean cars have always been a staple on American highways.

17. Trading Chocolate the Moose for Patti the Platypus helped build their Beanie Baby collection.

18. Fergie is a pop singer, not a princess.

19. They never twisted the coiled handset wire aimlessly around their wrists while chatting on the phone.

20. DNA fingerprinting and maps of the human genome have always existed.

21. Woody Allen, whose heart has wanted what it wanted, has always been with Soon-Yi Previn.

22. Cross-burning has always been deemed protected speech.

23. Leasing has always allowed the folks to upgrade their tastes in cars.

24. “Cop Killer” by rapper Ice-T has never been available on a recording.

25. Leno and Letterman have always been trading insults on opposing networks.

26. Unless they found one in their grandparents’ closet, they have never seen a carousel of Kodachrome slides.

27. Computers have never lacked a CD-ROM disk drive.

28. They’ve never recognized that pointing to their wrists was a request for the time of day.

29. Reggie Jackson has always been enshrined in Cooperstown.

30. “Viewer Discretion” has always been an available warning on TV shows.

31. The first computer they probably touched was an Apple II; it is now in a museum.

32. Czechoslovakia has never existed.

33. Second-hand smoke has always been an official carcinogen.

34. “Assisted Living” has always been replacing nursing homes, while Hospice has always been an alternative to hospitals.

35. Once they got through security, going to the airport has always resembled going to the mall.

36. Adhesive strips have always been available in varying skin tones.

37. Whatever their parents may have thought about the year they were born, Queen Elizabeth declared it an “Annus Horribilis.”

38. Bud Selig has always been the Commissioner of Major League Baseball.

39. Pizza jockeys from Domino’s have never killed themselves to get your pizza there in under 30 minutes.

40. There have always been HIV positive athletes in the Olympics.

41. American companies have always done business in Vietnam.

42. Potato has always ended in an “e” in New Jersey per vice presidential edict.

43. Russians and Americans have always been living together in space.

44. The dominance of television news by the three networks passed while they were still in their cribs.

45. They have always had a chance to do community service with local and federal programs to earn money for college.

46. Nirvana is on the classic oldies station. :(

47. Children have always been trying to divorce their parents.

48. Someone has always gotten married in space.

49. While they were babbling in strollers, there was already a female Poet Laureate of the United States.

50. Toothpaste tubes have always stood up on their caps.

51. Food has always been irradiated.

52. There have always been women priests in the Anglican Church.

53. J.R. Ewing has always been dead and gone. Hasn’t he?

54. The historic bridge at Mostar in Bosnia has always been a copy.

55. Rock bands have always played at presidential inaugural parties.

56. They may have assumed that parents’ complaints about Black Monday had to do with punk rockers from L.A., not Wall Street.

57. A purple dinosaur has always supplanted Barney Google and Barney Fife.

58. Beethoven has always been a dog.

59. By the time their folks might have noticed Coca Cola’s new Tab Clear, it was gone.

60. Walmart has never sold handguns over the counter in the lower 48.

61. Presidential appointees have always been required to be more precise about paying their nannies’ withholding tax, or else.

62. Having hundreds of cable channels but nothing to watch has always been routine.

63. Their parents’ favorite TV sitcoms have always been showing up as movies.

64. The U.S, Canada, and Mexico have always agreed to trade freely.

65. They first met Michelangelo when he was just a computer virus.

66. Galileo is forgiven and welcome back into the Roman Catholic Church.

67. Ruth Bader Ginsburg has always sat on the Supreme Court.

68. They have never worried about a Russian missile strike on the U.S.

69. The Post Office has always been going broke.

70. The artist formerly known as Snoop Doggy Dogg has always been rapping.

71. The nation has never approved of the job Congress is doing.

72. One way or another, “It’s the economy, stupid” and always has been.

73. Silicone-gel breast implants have always been regulated.

74. They’ve always been able to blast off with the Sci-Fi Channel.

75. Honda has always been a major competitor on Memorial Day at Indianapolis.

SpursWoman
08-17-2010, 04:58 PM
I didn't need that stinkin' list ... my daughter turned 15 today. That was enough to make me feel old. lol

JoeChalupa
08-17-2010, 05:13 PM
I didn't need that stinkin' list ... my daughter turned 15 today. That was enough to make me feel old. lol

:lol I did see this this morning and wasn't surprised. Kids these days don't even write or know how to hold a pencil.

Deputy Fife
08-17-2010, 05:24 PM
57. A purple dinosaur has always supplanted Barney Google and Barney Fife.

Nogoodnik millennials. I'm telling ya, you don't just mollycoddle 'em. First sign of youngsters goin' wrong, you've got to nip it in the bud. Too bad they don't do things that way anymore. This is the Age of Science Know-How, electronal marvels.

Cyrano
08-17-2010, 05:46 PM
Don't need the list. I've felt old ever since my daughter asked me what was the name of the band Paul McCartney played with before Wings.

Frenzy
08-17-2010, 06:14 PM
Old is never having had a cell in h.s school.

EmptyMan
08-17-2010, 06:39 PM
Cursive was such a pointless thing to learn.

ashbeeigh
08-17-2010, 07:47 PM
I saw the list this morning, went to the website and looked up my graduating class. It was pretty dead on. Here's the website:

http://www.beloit.edu/mindset/

My fave of '07 were:

Yuppies are almost as old as hippies.

Don Imus has always been offending someone in his national audience.

and finally....

1. For many of them today, it’s all about the "bling, bling."
2. They know who the "heroes in a half shell" are.
3. Peeps are not a candy, they are your friends.
4. They have been "dissing"and "burning" things all their lives.
5. They can expect to get a ticket for "ricing out their wheels."
6. They knew how to pop a Popple and trade a Pog.
7. They can still sing the rap chorus to the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and the theme song from Duck Tales.

baseline bum
08-17-2010, 08:04 PM
Cursive was such a pointless thing to learn.

Yeah, I don't think I have used cursive since 4th grade, except in maybe variable names in a math problem or something. e.g., one variable h and another cursive-h. I would never want to subject anyone (including myself) to reading my cursive; most doctors I know have clearer handwriting.

Bender
08-17-2010, 08:06 PM
I did see this this morning and wasn't surprised. Kids these days don't even write or know how to hold a pencil.
that's for damn sure...

people in their mid-20s and younger, when I see them writing, I'm like "how the hell can you write like that?" They hold pencils in some kind of death grip.

spursncowboys
08-17-2010, 08:54 PM
Old is never having had a cell in h.s school.
better yet having pagers.

LnGrrrR
08-17-2010, 08:55 PM
My fave of '07 were:

Wait, you graduated in 07?

LnGrrrR
08-17-2010, 09:05 PM
If I went to college straight out of high school, I would've graduated in '03...according to them....

In all fairness to this latest generation of entering college students, we this year add a list of items that only a child of the '80s can explain...don't ask us!
They owned and operated a "trapper keeper." Yup
They can explain the "cha-ching" thing. Yup
They know what a "burnout" is. Yup
They know what "psych" means. Yup
During time in the arcade, they actually lined up quarters on the top panel of the game to "reserve" a spot. Hells yeah, Street Fighter and MK
They know the profound meaning of "Wax on, Wax off." Duh
They know that another name for a keyboard is a "synthesizer." Yup
They can name at least half of the members of the elite "Brat Pack." Uhm.. Anthony Michael Hall, Molly Ringwold... that's close
They know who Tina Yothers is. Nope
They felt ashamed when Rob Lowe got in trouble for having sex with minors and videotaping it, because they liked him. Nope
They know who Max Headroom is. Yup
They could breakdance, or wished they could. Yup
Partying "like it's 1999" seemed SOOO far away. Yup
They thought that "transformers" were more than meets the eye. Of course
They can, right now, hum the theme to Inspector Gadget. Dun dun dun dun dun Inspector Gadget dun dun dun dun dun WOOHOO
They wanted to be on Star Search. FOUR AND A HALF STARS!
They can remember what Michael Jackson looked like before his nose fell off. yup
They wore banana clips at some point during their youth, or knew someone who did. Yup
They owned a doll with "Xavier Roberts" signed on its rear, or knew someone who did. Nope
They knew what Willis was "talkin' 'bout." Didn't like the show, but knew the phrase
They HAD to have their MTV. Yup, when MTV played music
They hold a special place in their hearts for Back to the Future. Where's my f'ing hoverboard?!?
They thought Molly Ringwald was REALLY cool. I'd hit it
They actually thought Dirty Dancing was a REALLY good movie. God no
They collected Garbage Pail Kids. Yup
They actually saw Ted Danson as the MacDaddy he played "Sam" to be. Not really
They remember when ATARI was a state of the art video game system. Yup
They own(ed) cassette singles. Yup
They were led to believe that, in the year 2000, we'd all be living on the moon. Wasn't that naive
They owned pieces of the Care Bear Glass collection from Pizza Hut. Nope
Poltergeist freaked them out. Who isn't freaked out by that?
They have occasionally pondered why Smurfette was the ONLY female smurf. She's a whore.
They know what a Doozer is. Down in Fraggle Rock (clap clap)
They wore bike shorts underneath a short skirt and felt stylish, or knew someone who did. Saw it on TV, not in real life
They had Swatch Watches. Yup
They had WonderWoman or Superman underoos. Probably Spidey
They know what a "Whammee" is. No Whammee no Whammee no Whammee.... STOP!

Trainwreck2100
08-17-2010, 09:22 PM
fuckin dumbass kids

ashbeeigh
08-17-2010, 09:24 PM
Wait, you graduated in 07?

Yeah?

Venti Quattro
08-17-2010, 11:40 PM
fuck i'm old

RandomGuy
08-18-2010, 07:26 AM
If I went to college straight out of high school, I would've graduated in '03...according to them....

If I went to college straight out of high school and expected to graduate in four years...

http://www.beloit.edu/mindset/1992.php

"HTTP 404 Not Found"

I wouldn't have had anyone making this list... :lol

Jeeez, there wasn't even an Internet to speak of in 1988... fuck.

LoneStarState'sPride
08-18-2010, 12:25 PM
Shit, that made ME feel old, and I'm only 22 lol.

SpursWoman
08-18-2010, 12:44 PM
If I went to college straight out of high school and expected to graduate in four years...

http://www.beloit.edu/mindset/1992.php

"HTTP 404 Not Found"

I wouldn't have had anyone making this list... :lol

Jeeez, there wasn't even an Internet to speak of in 1988... fuck.

+1

I graduated from college in 1993, and I think it's so incredibly unfair that I was stuck having to either be at the library, or pull info from my dad's 1978 set of encyclopedias to work on papers ... and all of these little whipper-snappers can just log on to their computers and everything is just right there.

That, and having to use a real typewriter.

ALVAREZ6
08-18-2010, 01:02 PM

Same...I'm only 20.

I used to wear a wrist watch, WTF

LoneStarState'sPride
08-18-2010, 01:02 PM
+1

I graduated from college in 1993, and I think it's so incredibly unfair that I was stuck having to either be at the library, or pull info from my dad's 1978 set of encyclopedias to work on papers ... and all of these little whipper-snappers can just log on to their computers and everything is just right there.

That, and having to use a real typewriter.

"encyclopedia"? Is that like wikipedia? :wow

j/k, my 'rents wouldn't let me out of the house till I proved to them I could write a paper using their old encyclopaedia britannica volumes lol. Good times.

LoneStarState'sPride
08-18-2010, 01:03 PM
Same...I'm only 20.

I used to wear a wrist watch, WTF

Man, I did too, and thought I was something :lol

hater
08-18-2010, 01:10 PM
it's not how old you are but how old you look

Cyrano
08-18-2010, 01:12 PM
Shit. I graduated in '73.

We had computers...at William and Mary college. We accessed them using a teletype machine; no monitor, just the teletype.
There were no pocket calculators, we used slide rules.
No Ipods or walkmans, we had transistor radios, AM only.
No self service gas stations, hell, they even gave you free dishes, checked the oil and water, washed your windshield, and charged you EIGHTEEN CENTS A GALLON.
There were three, count 'em, THREE TV stations, and they stopped transmitting at midnight.

LoneStarState'sPride
08-18-2010, 01:18 PM
Shit. I graduated in '73.

We had computers...at William and Mary college. We accessed them using a teletype machine; no monitor, just the teletype.
There were no pocket calculators, we used slide rules.
No Ipods or walkmans, we had transistor radios, AM only.
No self service gas stations, hell, they even gave you free dishes, checked the oil and water, washed your windshield, and charged you EIGHTEEN CENTS A GALLON.
There were three, count 'em, THREE TV stations, and they stopped transmitting at midnight.

That just about made me weep right there. And here I was thinking I got a good deal and shit paying $2.43/gal for gas this morning :rolleyes

CubanSucks
08-18-2010, 02:59 PM

I'm only 21 and if I knew some 18 yr old who thought some of these things I'd want to kick their ass. :bang

boutons_deux
08-18-2010, 03:08 PM
WTH is a mindset?

And WTH was it called before it was mindset?

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-18-2010, 03:11 PM
These lists are always fun. Had my "feeling old" moment in the spring when I was taking a US history course about the late 1800's. A class discussion on the Spanish American War turned to Cuba, which then digressed to the professor talking about how Cubans speak. When he asked if anybody had ever been to Cuba or had spoke with a native Cuban nobody said anything so I joked that I had seen Scarface a few times which took the class even further off track onto the topic of the 80's. Nothing too crazy until I realized after class that during that stretch the only people who spoke were the professor, myself, and two other people who were both about ten years older than me. The other dozen people in the class didn't have much to say because the were not actually around for any part of the 80s.

Bender
08-18-2010, 03:14 PM
That just about made me weep right there. And here I was thinking I got a good deal and shit paying $2.43/gal for gas this morning :rolleyes
I graduated HS in '77. the cheapest I ever bought gas at was .47 / gal. It was 1979 or '80 or thereabouts in san antonio, during some kind of local 'gas war' with prices...

jack sommerset
08-18-2010, 03:20 PM
The older the buck the stiffer the horn