PDA

View Full Version : Any network techies in here?

LnGrrrR
08-17-2010, 08:50 PM
Have a question related to servers, DHCP and connectivity to our domain controller... anyone that knows what the above means willing to hear a problem? I know ElNoNo knows networking, not sure about others on the board.

PM5K
08-17-2010, 09:14 PM
You should just put it out there.

phyzik
08-18-2010, 12:36 AM
whats the question?

LnGrrrR
08-18-2010, 03:57 PM
Here's the issue. We've got a server on our network that has no connectivity to our Domain Controller. Can't even ping it. However, we know the ports are good, because we asked him to set the server to DHCP to see if he could pull an address, which he can. However, even with a good DHCP address, he's getting nothing from the network.

When he plugs in a laptop to the same port, he can ping the DC without issue. Now, he did install some new patches on his server, so I'm guessing that's it. I'm just trying to clear my shop (you know, check in-house before I shift it to others). Can anyone think of any network related reason he might not be able to connect? Note: We don't have many internal ACLs, and of the ones we do have, nothing should be affecting him.

Thanks all.

phyzik
08-19-2010, 12:49 AM
I dont know your network setup, so Im just shooting in the dark here...

When you say it cant connect to the domain controller.... do you mean it cant access shares? Maybe the domain controller has SMB disabled in the workstation service?

Maybe the server patch switched something that is requiring SMB access from the domain controller....

from the description you gave, thats what it sounds like to me....

Hope that helps or at least puts you on the right path.

I will admit, my knowledge with domain controllers and servers is limited. I will ask my co-worker tomorrow, who is our network admin, what he thinks it might be.... assuming he has some free time (you know how network admins are :lol).

If you got any event logs, that would be helpfull.

*edit*

A question just popped into my head....

Is this an SBS? (Small Business Server)

If so, it must be the only one within the last 2 weeks aquiring all FMO roles.... If there is more than one server, switch the new one to standard and run it as a client. If there is already another SBS, without knowing anything about your network setup, I'd place money on this being the problem now that I think about it.

If you figure it out, please let me know what the problem was.... Im curious now and this is going to be bugging me..... Kind of like hearing a song and knowing what it is but not quite remembering who wrote it or what its called.... :rollin

to21
08-24-2010, 02:19 PM
Here's the issue. We've got a server on our network that has no connectivity to our Domain Controller. Can't even ping it. However, we know the ports are good, because we asked him to set the server to DHCP to see if he could pull an address, which he can. However, even with a good DHCP address, he's getting nothing from the network.

When he plugs in a laptop to the same port, he can ping the DC without issue. Now, he did install some new patches on his server, so I'm guessing that's it. I'm just trying to clear my shop (you know, check in-house before I shift it to others). Can anyone think of any network related reason he might not be able to connect? Note: We don't have many internal ACLs, and of the ones we do have, nothing should be affecting him.

Thanks all.Are you sure the server didn't lose it's domain trust to the DC? I've seen a server object lose it's trust to the domain controller after client side extensions have been touched by MS security patches.

Try using netdom and see if you can query the DC: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc737599(WS.10).aspx

You'll have to install Win2003 Admin Tools Pack to use netdom.

Can you ping and get out to other places on your net? Just because you can plug in another piece of hardware and you can ping the DC, doesn't mean ICMP is working on the suspect server or your IP stack isn't corrupt.

ElNono
08-24-2010, 02:37 PM
From a console session, and after receiving a local address from DHCP, ask him to do:

telnet <ip address of DC> 389

and

telnet <ip address of DC> 135

If he can connect, then please ask him to double-check that he entered the domain name correctly, and that both the DC and server trust each other (no ACL conflict and what not).

If he can't connect, then I would suspect a hardware kind of issue (loopback in the network, overlapping IPs, bad network card, etc).