PDA

View Full Version : Biggest disappointments of the off-season?

Nathan89
08-17-2010, 09:01 PM
What is your biggest disappointment of the off-season? Was it something the spurs did or didn't do?

I know that the off-season is not completely over but most of the moves in the nba have been made and most of the free agents have been signed.

My biggest disappointment of the off-season was resigning rj to a new contract instead of letting him play out his last year. This is the first time I have ever been upset with the spurs organization. I am definitely not happy with the trade for rj but atleast that was done with intentions to make the spurs a contender. This decision appears to be a agreement made between rj and the spurs to save money. From what I read on this forum we did this to save roughly 12mil dollars this year. That does not seem like enough money to jepordize the future of this organization. We just rewarded a guy with a long-term contract for not meeting expectations. He does not and will never fit into the spurs system. Man I am so disappointed with the fo.

Waps1980
08-17-2010, 09:55 PM
If this agreement was prearranged it may have had something to do with extra cash up their sleeve for splitter which in the end wasn't needed but the deal was basically finalised with RJ I suspect.

Dex
08-17-2010, 09:56 PM
Too easy.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/100713_bonner.html

DeadlyDynasty
08-17-2010, 10:00 PM
Too easy.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/100713_bonner.html

coincidentally that was my favorite news of the offseason

Russ
08-17-2010, 10:33 PM
Not getting the veteran lockdown defending 3, the annual Bruce Bowen replacement.

It was Udoka, then Bogans, now . . . ?

Other than the above oversight, this off-season has been a dream. The best in years.

I don't even think most of us yet realize just how good this Spurs summer has been. :)

Nathan89
08-18-2010, 12:13 AM
If this agreement was prearranged it may have had something to do with extra cash up their sleeve for splitter which in the end wasn't needed but the deal was basically finalised with RJ I suspect.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I am pretty sure no matter what we could not offer splitter anything over the mle. So this move was not to pay splitter more but save money. If we suck ass because of this they will lose a lot of from the decline in viewers at the game and on television.

JR3
08-18-2010, 12:50 AM
Bonner no doubt. Everything else I'm pretty darn pleased with. Did the best we could.

silverblk mystix
08-18-2010, 01:02 AM
re-signing bonner

FUCK!

I am still pissed...thanks for reminding me

FUCK!

timtonymanu
08-18-2010, 01:21 AM
Bringing Bonner back. I feel the front office just made this decision because Bonner has a home here and they just like him for some reason. He really did nothing for this team and he gets a long term contract like he deserves one.

I would have rather seen RJ opt in instead of getting a bigger contract. Instead we got 40 million dollar RJ who may just end up rotting on the bench because he doesnt fit here.

Tiago and Anderson are great signings. Neal is an unknown but he wont hurt the team. He could be a great signing or he could be a Marcus Haislip.

Malik left on his own terms and it sucks he did but I cant blame him.

Bogans and Mason are no longer here. :downspin:

DrSteffo
08-18-2010, 06:33 AM
Not getting the veteran lockdown defending 3, the annual Bruce Bowen replacement.

It was Udoka, then Bogans, now . . . ?

Other than the above oversight, this off-season has been a dream. The best in years.

I don't even think most of us yet realize just how good this Spurs summer has been. :)

This. But I also detect a slight disturbing general tendency to focus on O instead of D.

benefactor
08-18-2010, 07:23 AM
<--------
<--------

ChuckD
08-18-2010, 07:32 AM
What is your biggest disappointment of the off-season? Was it something the spurs did or didn't do?

I know that the off-season is not completely over but most of the moves in the nba have been made and most of the free agents have been signed.

My biggest disappointment of the off-season was resigning rj to a new contract instead of letting him play out his last year. This is the first time I have ever been upset with the spurs organization. I am definitely not happy with the trade for rj but atleast that was done with intentions to make the spurs a contender. This decision appears to be a agreement made between rj and the spurs to save money. From what I read on this forum we did this to save roughly 12mil dollars this year. That does not seem like enough money to jepordize the future of this organization. We just rewarded a guy with a long-term contract for not meeting expectations. He does not and will never fit into the spurs system. Man I am so disappointed with the fo.

It's seems pretty damned easy for you to spend Peter Holt's money.

Penya
08-18-2010, 08:30 AM
http://i36.tinypic.com/zv3mte.png

TJastal
08-18-2010, 10:06 AM

:lmao :rollin

1. RJ being resigned.
2. Bonner being resigned.

In that order.

gospursgojas
08-18-2010, 10:12 AM
Not too disappointed in this off season, but if there was one thing it would be not finding a legit back-up SF.

TJastal
08-18-2010, 11:40 AM
Not too disappointed in this off season, but if there was one thing it would be not finding a legit back-up SF.

Spurs will be flush at backup SF.

After it's determined Jefferson can't be productive in the half court oriented offense w/ Duncan and Parker the spurs will have their legit backup SF.

Problem is, they'll then need to find a starter. :bang

ElNono
08-18-2010, 11:59 AM

lolz

SenorSpur
08-18-2010, 12:05 PM
Resigning Bonner - hands down. Might be to easy of a pick, but doesn't make it any less disappointing. Based upon what we all know and have seen with this guy, the decision just makes absolutely no sense. The Fakers are the defending champs and Bonner, as an inconsistent, non-clutch, playoff underachieving, role player does nothing to help the Spurs "close that gap" or even give them an advanatage. And at the salary they gave him, makes the decision look even worse.

Next would be the Spurs NOT having successfully identified a true backup SF. One that could eventually assume RJ's role as starter. The Spurs better hope Alonzo Gee can fill this role.

benefactor
08-18-2010, 12:11 PM
:lol

TJastal
08-18-2010, 12:47 PM
Resigning Bonner - hands down. Might be to easy of a pick, but doesn't make it any less disappointing. Based upon what we all know and have seen with this guy, the decision just makes absolutely no sense. The Fakers are the defending champs and Bonner, as an inconsistent, non-clutch, playoff underachieving, role player does nothing to help the Spurs "close that gap" or even give them an advanatage. And at the salary they gave him, makes the decision look even worse.

Next would be the Spurs NOT having successfully identified a true backup SF. One that could eventually assume RJ's role as starter. The Spurs better hope Alonzo Gee can fill this role.

If Anderson can shoot the nba 3-ball like he did in college, he could also have a shot at it. Read in another thread about his standing reach being 1 inch longer than RJ's, so I think he could handle himself at that position.

If Parker is annointed the starter, the spurs WILL need shooters at the 2-3 to keep some semblance of spacing. If RJ can't find the range I think we could potentially see a Parker/Hill/Anderson starting combination with Temple/Manu/Jefferson coming off the bench.

ohmwrecker
08-18-2010, 12:56 PM
I'm a little disappointed that everyone is so disappointed. I don't know what everyone expected to happen, but as far as I can tell, everything went according to plan.

TJastal
08-18-2010, 01:08 PM
I'm a little disappointed that everyone is so disappointed. I don't know what everyone expected to happen, but as far as I can tell, everything went according to plan.

Spurs off season has been overrated by many. I'd call it okay at best.

Didn't need Bonner except for perhaps the minimum and then only as Blair's backup getting spot minutes.

Didn't need Jefferson for another 4 years @ 10 mil per. He'll be Anderson's backup by Decemeber I'm guessing.

If not for Splitter signing at a discount things could have been even worse.

ohmwrecker
08-18-2010, 01:17 PM
Spurs off season has been overrated by many. I'd call it okay at best.
I'm not overrating it, I'm just saying it went about how I expected it would.

Didn't need Bonner except for perhaps the minimum and then only as Blair's backup getting spot minutes.
The Spurs FO, for whatever reason, obviously values Bonner more than most fans.

Didn't need Jefferson for another 4 years @ 10 mil per.
No, but they Spurs wanted tax relief this year and Jefferson wanted security they made a deal and it is done. Move on.

He'll be Anderson's backup by Decemeber I'm guessing.
Ridiculous.

If not for Splitter signing at a discount things could have been even worse.
Hallelujah!

blkroadrunners
08-18-2010, 01:56 PM
Resigning Bonner.

It just doesn't make sense since the Spurs have added Splitter, Blair's developing, and they still have McDyess on contract.

beachwood
08-18-2010, 02:01 PM
Bonner being resigned is easily the biggest disappointment of the offseason. Now it'll be another postseason of watching him brick shots and looking like a deer in the headlights. If we make the postseason, that is.

Ditty
08-18-2010, 02:11 PM
I think RJ will pan out well if he doesnt produce this year then I will consider him a letdown but if he can get back to around 15 ppg, I will be happy but people need to realize that he is the 4th option on the team at the same time, and stop screaming everytime he goes to the basket.

Bonner I really dont care too much he's unique that's why the spurs kept him he's a big man who can shoot 3's pretty good, how many teams have a player like that on the team. About the whole chocking this year in the playoffs I kinda can't really say that he was inconsistent didn't do to much in the mavs series , but did pretty good in the suns series in 3 & 4 he was in double figures those games.

I'm dissapointed of course we didn't get a back up SF but at the same time I beleive the Spurs would hit the luxary tax if they sign another guy but I think the spurs will go with this roster for the first few months see how it goes if were strffling then I think well use some of our younger guys not including blair,hill,anderson or splitter even this years 1st round pick to get another small foward

Cane
08-18-2010, 02:14 PM
For me its not seeing the newly drafted and signed Spurs play whether its Tiago, Anderson, or Richards.

tp2021
08-18-2010, 02:16 PM
Bonner being resigned is easily the biggest disappointment of the offseason. Now it'll be another postseason of watching him brick shots and looking like a deer in the headlights. If we make the postseason, that is.

If we miss the postseason, it won't be beacuse we re-signed Matt Bonner in the offseason. We will have had bigger problems than that.

Chucho
08-18-2010, 02:28 PM
Barring severe injuries, the Spurs aren't going to miss the post season. So many people are downers, but are the first to gush about winning a championship when they rattle off five in a row.

But the biggest disappointment easily was Bonner. The Spurs giving that guy that contract was easily the worst mistake they've made with a contract since giving Malik his 36 mil, the only difference was that Malik had some heart and would D up.

SenorSpur
08-18-2010, 02:42 PM
If we miss the postseason, it won't be beacuse we re-signed Matt Bonner in the offseason. We will have had bigger problems than that.

That's fair, but that's not the point. Getting to the postseason is one thing. Fielding a team that is capable of knocking off the Fakers is quite another. The objective of any offseason should be to upgrade the talent level. This task is even more crucial when you consider the fact that 2 of the Spurs vaunted 3 superstars are aging.

Watching how this team fared in the past few postseasons, it's clear that the supporting cast has failed to augment the play of the Big Three. On each of the Spurs championship teams, you'll find that the contributions of role players, were significant factors in team success.

That said, resigning Bonner is simply the equivalent of trying the same thing over and over again, while expecting different results. In other words, it's the true definition of insanity.

yavozerb
08-18-2010, 03:09 PM
That's fair, but that's not the point. Getting to the postseason is one thing. Fielding a team that is capable of knocking off the Fakers is quite another. The objective of any offseason should be to upgrade the talent level. This task is even more crucial when you consider the fact that 2 of the Spurs vaunted 3 superstars are aging.

Watching how this team fared in the past few postseasons, it's clear that the supporting cast has failed to augment the play of the Big Three. On each of the Spurs championship teams, you'll find that the contributions of role players, were significant factors in team success.

That said, resigning Bonner is simply the equivalent of trying the same thing over and over again, while expecting different results. In other words, it's the true definition of insanity.

Sort of like complaining about Bonner being back over and over...Or, hold on, what about those who keep complaining about RJ over and over...

DPG21920
08-18-2010, 03:19 PM
Or like responding over and over to those complaining :lol

Dex
08-18-2010, 06:07 PM
SpursTalk is on peak Offseason form.

Dex
08-18-2010, 08:26 PM
No one is pointing out the most obvious disappointment; missing out on LeBron James for the rest of the MLE after Splitter was signed.

Don't forget letting Hairston walk. A real front office would've at least got back Melo or somebody of worth.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-18-2010, 10:56 PM
RJ, because he will stand in the way of improvement. 4 fucking years of his 30yo, mediocre ageing corpse. If he had opted in we could jettison him for youth next season - as it has played out, we're stuck with the chump until 2014. How the fuck could anyone in the organisation think that was a good idea?

:pctoss

SequSpur
08-18-2010, 10:57 PM
my disappointment was talking to the Spurs about getting tickets with the stipulation that bonner wasn't coming back...so I buy the tickets and they resign him...

wtf?

slick'81
08-18-2010, 11:07 PM
bbb bonner

TJastal
08-18-2010, 11:34 PM
The homers are already working overtime this year makin excuses for the FO decisions, and the season hasn't even started. :lol

I can already predict what's going to happen.

Pop will try to incorporate Rupaul (err, Richard) into the halfcourt offense and it will be a failure. I'm sure Pop will keep desperately trying to pound the round nail into the square hole (excuse the pun) to justify that 40 million dollar contract.

Meanwhile, while RJ is screwing up the starting unit, Chuck Boner will be eating up any spare minutes that might've went to Blair in the 2nd unit.

Good times ahead.

EIC
08-18-2010, 11:48 PM
B o n n e r

I honestly don't think it will be healthy for me to watch this season. I am seriously afraid Bonner will give me an aneurysm.

Nathan89
08-19-2010, 12:57 AM
The red rocket may have been paid a little to much but resigning him was best for the team. We didn't have enough money to get a better big than bonner. So without that resigning we would have been worst. At the end of the day getting splitter on the cheap counteracts paying bonner a little more than he is worth.

On the other hand the rj deal appears to be a deal to save money and not improve the team. That is why this is the biggest disappointment. Nothing counteracts this move.

TJastal
08-19-2010, 01:37 AM
The red rocket may have been paid a little to much but resigning him was best for the team. We didn't have enough money to get a better big than bonner. So without that resigning we would have been worst. At the end of the day getting splitter on the cheap counteracts paying bonner a little more than he is worth.

On the other hand the rj deal appears to be a deal to save money and not improve the team. That is why this is the biggest disappointment. Nothing counteracts this move.

A much shrewder move would have been signing Mahinmi for probably half that amount and half the contract length. They didn't need to invest that kind of money into a player who should have been looked at as a 5th big who likely won't even play much.

Duncan, Splitter, McDyess, & Blair should have been the big rotation, but now it is not clear what is going to happen.

SenorSpur
08-19-2010, 08:45 AM
A much shrewder move would have been signing Mahinmi for probably half that amount and half the contract length. They didn't need to invest that kind of money into a player who should have been looked at as a 5th big who likely won't even play much.

Duncan, Splitter, McDyess, & Blair should have been the big rotation, but now it is not clear what is going to happen.

As long as Pop is the coach, Bonner WILL play - a lot - and a lot more than he probably should - and probably at the expense of The Beast. All this despite his history of diminishing returns and excessive bricklaying against top-tier competititon.

spectator
08-19-2010, 01:46 PM
like most things on spurstalk, when issues are overblown before the season starts, this situation shows a lack of perspective. if rj and bonner are the main culprits here, consider this:

1. rj is the only reasonable sf / player of his class the spurs could get a hold of for the season. again - we are talking about THIS off-season, not the previous one. his extension had to be big, otherwise he would have taken 15 mil + 3 more years elsewhere. consider this signing as a 2-year extension (tim's window of opportunity) for only 5 more mil. the third year, the team is rebuilding anyway and the fourth - he is getting traded in feb.

2. as far as bonner goes - he is an average player who will play few minutes at the 4/5. for a player in his class, he is better than most because he already knows the system and can shoot the 3. with tiago coming over and pop showing he would rather play mcdyess before bonner (next to tim), bonner's role is simply as 3rd rotation player, bench-warmer, white-mahinmi that the spurs need. occasionally, when the situation permits - e.g. playing vs. teams with little defense such as raptors and suns, he may warrant some more minutes.

both these guys are not great signings, but are reasonable ones. however, st is full of cry babies, so why even bother, right?

LegendaryFan44
08-19-2010, 08:01 PM
This message board is the biggest disappointment of the off season.:lol:lol:sleep

superbigtime
08-20-2010, 09:01 PM
* Signing Bonehead for FOUR years. And overpaying him. It makes the org look plain stupid. A 5 year old knows that he sucks.

* Signing Jeff for FOUR years. And overpaying him.

* Letting 7 footer pogo stick walk away after all those years, then he was signed by Mavs for next to nothing, leaving the Spurs still undersized.

* Not signing Shaq to give us size and muscle against the bigger teams, ie Bynum and Lakers, when he coulda been had for squat.

* Popovich not seeing the light and recognizing the futility of whatever it is he is trying to accomplish with small ball. We're still a small team and we're going to get muscled by bigger physical teams, and Tim can only take so much.

* Did I mention signing Bonner for FOUR years?

* Thank God Splitter was signed. If he hadn't been the offseason would have been disastrous. And letting Mason and Bogans go. Adios.

I need 5
08-20-2010, 09:28 PM
The biggest disappointment of the off-season was resigning Matt Bonner. He is simply not good.

elemento
08-20-2010, 09:43 PM
Bonner's contract is not that bad.

It's basically a 3-year 10.9m. The last year in only 1M guaranteed.

It's not a good deal, but it's not bad considering what we saw this offseason.

RJ's contract is by far the worst. It was actually one of the worst contracts of the offseason. I know we saved a lot of money, but i'm not happy having RJ for 4 more years.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-20-2010, 11:30 PM

RJ's contract is by far the worst. It was actually one of the worst contracts of the offseason. I know we saved a lot of money, but i'm not happy having RJ for 4 more years.

Exactly. Bonner can be moved. RJ can't. Fuck.

angelbelow
08-21-2010, 01:23 AM
I would rank:
1. Bonner
2. RJ

RJ is second in my opinion because he has the potential to improve and get better. Bonner is probably as good as hes going to get.

TJastal
08-21-2010, 05:36 AM
* Signing Bonehead for FOUR years. And overpaying him. It makes the org look plain stupid. A 5 year old knows that he sucks.

* Signing Jeff for FOUR years. And overpaying him.

* Letting 7 footer pogo stick walk away after all those years, then he was signed by Mavs for next to nothing, leaving the Spurs still undersized.

* Not signing Shaq to give us size and muscle against the bigger teams, ie Bynum and Lakers, when he coulda been had for squat.

* Popovich not seeing the light and recognizing the futility of whatever it is he is trying to accomplish with small ball. We're still a small team and we're going to get muscled by bigger physical teams, and Tim can only take so much.

* Did I mention signing Bonner for FOUR years?

* Thank God Splitter was signed. If he hadn't been the offseason would have been disastrous. And letting Mason and Bogans go. Adios.

Forget who it was, but some dumb jackass actually claimed Boner was the best matchup against the lakers... even though he chokes and can't shoot 3's in any big game with them. Add to that Gasol and Bynum are too big for him to handle inside and he is basically as useless as dirt.

SenorSpur
08-21-2010, 08:15 AM

Spurs still being undersized. That's a point that has been understated. Even with the addition of Splitter the Spurs STILL do not have enough size (and frontline skill) to combat the Fakers.

TJastal
08-21-2010, 08:29 AM
Spurs still being undersized. That's a point that has been understated. Even with the addition of Splitter the Spurs STILL do not have enough size (and frontline skill) to combat the Fakers.

Mahinmi would have defenitely helped in that regard, don't you think Senorspur?

And lets be real here, Splitter is a finess big.. he's just not going to be an intimidating factor against the giants, they are going to outmuscle him.

Then factor in Blair & McDyess both being undersized bigs and it all really makes the Bonner signing (yet another undersized big) look even dumber IMO.

ChuckD
08-21-2010, 09:00 AM
:lol Mahinmi would have been the meat in a Gasol/Bynum sandwich.

I can't believe we got the best big from Europe, and you're still crying about this buster. Oh, wait, yes I can. You're TJastal.

SenorSpur
08-21-2010, 09:31 AM
Mahinmi would have defenitely helped in that regard, don't you think Senorspur?

And lets be real here, Splitter is a finess big.. he's just not going to be an intimidating factor against the giants, they are going to outmuscle him.

Then factor in Blair & McDyess both being undersized bigs and it all really makes the Bonner signing (yet another undersized big) look even dumber IMO.

Yes I do. Splitter is a fine player, who will be a welcomed addition to the Spurs frontline. However, he will likely will take some time to adjust to the NBA and the Spurs. Even with his superb skills, and unless I missed something about him, I don't see him as a consistent shotblocking presence or even a dominant rebounding phenom.

As for Mahinmi, even at a minimum of say, 10 mins per game. I still believe his length, athleticism and shotblocking ability (and 6 fouls) could've been an asset when matching up against the NBA's bigger frontlines. Points that have been discussed ad nauseum. Of course, I'm in the minority on this. Unfortunately, we'll never know.

Even if you exclude Mahinmi from the equation, it doesn't excuse the fact that the Spurs still needed a solid, quality backup big of similar size and skills. In seeking ways to better matchup with the Fakers, those are the type of tangible assets that are required. Resigning Bonner simply WAS NOT the answer.

TJastal
08-21-2010, 09:45 AM
:lol Mahinmi would have been the meat in a Gasol/Bynum sandwich.

I can't believe we got the best big from Europe, and you're still crying about this buster. Oh, wait, yes I can. You're TJastal.

We'll see how this "best big in Europe" translates to the nba. Likely with his build and frame, he'll be susceptible to being knocked around by the big boys unless he adds some weight & muscle.

Mahinmi IMO would have been a decent option to have around for times when the spurs need 7 foot size & strength above all else. Plus he's still learning and filling out his 7 foot frame.

ChuckD
08-21-2010, 10:45 AM
We'll see how this "best big in Europe" translates to the nba. Likely with his build and frame, he'll be susceptible to being knocked around by the big boys unless he adds some weight & muscle.

Mahinmi IMO would have been a decent option to have around for times when the spurs need 7 foot size & strength above all else. Plus he's still learning and filling out his 7 foot frame.

Yeah, Splitter is WAY more built for the NBA than French Jesus is.

It sounds like you want Splitter to fail so that you can make some point about the front office. Nice fan, you are.

Russ
08-21-2010, 11:34 AM

I bet he's as big a wimp as Gasol.

You can't teach size and Mahinmi has it. You can't teach BB IQ either and, well, you can't teach size . . .

superbigtime
08-21-2010, 11:45 AM

Bonners is 4 Yrs 16 mill

Chieflion
08-21-2010, 11:49 AM
Bonners is 4 Yrs 16 mill

The last year is partially guaranteed, well covered and explained. Making it 3 years and 10.9 million.

admiralsnackbar
08-21-2010, 11:59 AM
I bet he's as big a wimp as Gasol.

Is that why the Spanish press hardly ever talks about him without mentioning his giant (figurative) cojones? Spain and Brazil are different countries, and Gasol and Splitter are totally different players.

superbigtime
08-21-2010, 12:02 PM
The point isn't that mahinmi is a saviour now lost, it's that spurs are outsized by the better teams of the league and that we lack inside size, muscle and athleticism and hops to deal with lakers, rockets, mavs, heat, even Sacramento and okc are bigger. Have a look at their rosters and you begin to realize how small of a team spurs are after Tim and Splitter. Blair and dice are undersized and after that it's Bonner. Yikes! Why let mahinmi who knows the system at least SOME after 3 yrs and was a 1st first rd pick go for a 6 digit paycheck from the mavs, basically for nothing. He's more than just 6 fouls. Similarly they let ratliff leave for nothing.

So we remain an undersized team relying more on shooters, not speed or size, not post game or breaks, but outside shooting which is more of a gamble than maintaining an inside physical defensive presence. and that's a shitty bball product when the outside game does not succeed well enough to counteract lack of rebounding, blocking, etc. Last years team was small and we did not get bigger like we should have.

superbigtime
08-21-2010, 12:02 PM
The point isn't that mahinmi is a saviour now lost, it's that spurs are outsized by the better teams of the league and that we lack inside size, muscle and athleticism and hops to deal with lakers, rockets, mavs, heat, even Sacramento and okc are bigger. Have a look at their rosters and you begin to realize how small of a team spurs are after Tim and Splitter. Blair and dice are undersized and after that it's Bonner. Yikes! Why let mahinmi who knows the system at least SOME after 3 yrs and was a 1st first rd pick go for a 6 digit paycheck from the mavs, basically for nothing. He's more than just 6 fouls. Similarly they let ratliff leave for nothing.

So we remain an undersized team relying more on shooters, not speed or size, not post game or breaks, but outside shooting which is more of a gamble than maintaining an inside physical defensive presence. and that's a shitty bball product when the outside game does not succeed well enough to counteract lack of rebounding, blocking, etc. Last years team was small and we did not get bigger like we should have.

superbigtime
08-21-2010, 12:05 PM
The last year is partially guaranteed, well covered and explained. Making it 3 years and 10.9 million.

Ok. Term still lengthy though. Can't imagine his effectiveness for three years, let alone 4.

TJastal
08-21-2010, 12:07 PM

Knowing Pop's hard-on for Bonner, the spurs will probably pay the full 4th year for Bonner's ability to "extend the floor" during the regular season then do a dissappearing act come playoff time.

TJastal
08-21-2010, 12:08 PM

very fucking well said.. bravo mate

admiralsnackbar
08-21-2010, 12:12 PM
Ok. Term still lengthy though. Can't imagine his effectiveness for three years, let alone 4.

Compared to RJ, we got Bonner for a song. I think people might change their tune about him next season when he's not asked to do as much as he was last year. He's a pretty serviceable role-player, just not a heavy-minutes center.

Russ
08-21-2010, 12:14 PM
Is that why the Spanish press hardly ever talks about him without mentioning his giant (figurative) cojones?

Actually, the Spanish press dogged him unmercifully after the Lakers lost to Boston in the '08 Finals. Essentially called him soft and a choker.

Spain and Brazil are different countries, and Gasol and Splitter are totally different players.

Gasol is a better offensive player, but as far as post presence and general effectiveness, Splitter will be fine. It is amazing how so many NBA fans still don't get the fact that European players can be effective right away. (Some of these are the same peple who, somehow, argue that the D League is a great NBA proving ground.)

The Splitter debate reminds me of the videos of Manu flying to the hoop in Italy the summer before his first season and all the doubters saying he could never do that in the NBA.

superbigtime
08-21-2010, 12:38 PM
Compared to RJ, we got Bonner for a song. I think people might change their tune about him next season when he's not asked to do as much as he was last year. He's a pretty serviceable role-player, just not a heavy-minutes center.

I hope you're right but I don't think so. No matter how much he plays or is overplayed, Bonners is an average player who can't be relied upon. He will only make you swear. Who was competing w spurs for his services??
He got a generous deal, not Brian cardinal generous, but pretty generous.

TD 21
08-21-2010, 12:48 PM
Yes I do. Splitter is a fine player, who will be a welcomed addition to the Spurs frontline. However, he will likely will take some time to adjust to the NBA and the Spurs. Even with his superb skills, and unless I missed something about him, I don't see him as a consistent shotblocking presence or even a dominant rebounding phenom.

As for Mahinmi, even at a minimum of say, 10 mins per game. I still believe his length, athleticism and shotblocking ability (and 6 fouls) could've been an asset when matching up against the NBA's bigger frontlines. Points that have been discussed ad nauseum. Of course, I'm in the minority on this. Unfortunately, we'll never know.

Even if you exclude Mahinmi from the equation, it doesn't excuse the fact that the Spurs still needed a solid, quality backup big of similar size and skills. In seeking ways to better matchup with the Fakers, those are the type of tangible assets that are required. Resigning Bonner simply WAS NOT the answer.

If Mahinmi didn't play last season, when the Spurs desperately needed a big with his physical tools, what makes you think he'd have played next season, with Splitter in tow? And especially against the Lakers? You think Pop would bench Blair AND Bonner in favor of Mahinmi?

I'd have liked to have seen him re-signed as well, but he wasn't going to be the answer against the Lakers, for the simple fact that he wasn't going to play against the Lakers.

In terms of the bigs, I think the Spurs are big enough now. They're still a little undersized, but if Splitter performs to the level most reasonable people expect him to, they should be fine more often than not.

I don't want to say shot blocking is overrated, because it's not, but the threat of it is sometimes more important than the actual block itself. Splitter is and will be a threat to block shots and that changes things. No one is going to think twice about driving against a Blair/Bonner duo, or rush their shot around the rim or make a shot around the rim more difficult than is has to be, but they probably will against Splitter.

As for rebounding, the Spurs were one of the best in the league last season. Bonner is still probably going to play more than he should, but say he's the fifth big more often than not, even though Splitter isn't a great rebounder, just having him take Bonner's spot and Blair playing more minutes will make this an even better rebounding team.

Everyone get's so caught up in what the Spurs don't have, but look at what the Spurs do have. And not just amongst the bigs; look at the back court. This should be the best back court in the league.

superbigtime
08-21-2010, 12:57 PM
Don't get me wrong. Looking forward to Blair sophomore effort, hills development, and the oklahoma and brazil rookies. Big three should be solid barring injury, going to treasure what will probably be their last season together. But I predict more peculiar shit from pop.

sammy
08-21-2010, 01:07 PM
Resigning the worthless one BONNER! Biggest disappointment and I'm still pissed off about it! It didn't make sense and once his contract was over, I was ready to celebrate and then the Spurs resign this unathletic no defense and can't make a shot worthless piece of crap! He just takes up minutes from Blair and doesn't absolutely nothing for the team! Totally worthless!:bang

admiralsnackbar
08-21-2010, 01:24 PM
Actually, the Spanish press dogged him unmercifully after the Lakers lost to Boston in the '08 Finals. Essentially called him soft and a choker.

I guess I wasn't clear, brother: I was talking about Splitter there, not Gasol. I still think Gasol is a soft choker, honestly, he just has better team mates to carry the load when things don't go his way and he gets all pouty.

ChumpDumper
08-21-2010, 01:30 PM

Mahinmi IMO would have been a decent option to have around for times when the spurs need 7 foot size & strength above all else. Plus he's still learning and filling out his 7 foot frame.lol Ian would be knocked around as much or more than you claim Splitter will be.

elemento
08-21-2010, 01:47 PM
Bonners is 4 Yrs 16 mill

nahh

it's 13.9m/4y and the last year is only 1M guaranteed.

1st - 3M
2nd - 3.3M
3rd - 3.6M
4th - 3.9M

You can check it here

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/spurs.jsp

SenorSpur
08-21-2010, 02:10 PM
If Mahinmi didn't play last season, when the Spurs desperately needed a big with his physical tools, what makes you think he'd have played next season, with Splitter in tow? And especially against the Lakers? You think Pop would bench Blair AND Bonner in favor of Mahinmi?

I'd have liked to have seen him re-signed as well, but he wasn't going to be the answer against the Lakers, for the simple fact that he wasn't going to play against the Lakers.

In terms of the bigs, I think the Spurs are big enough now. They're still a little undersized, but if Splitter performs to the level most reasonable people expect him to, they should be fine more often than not.

I don't want to say shot blocking is overrated, because it's not, but the threat of it is sometimes more important than the actual block itself. Splitter is and will be a threat to block shots and that changes things. No one is going to think twice about driving against a Blair/Bonner duo, or rush their shot around the rim or make a shot around the rim more difficult than is has to be, but they probably will against Splitter.

As for rebounding, the Spurs were one of the best in the league last season. Bonner is still probably going to play more than he should, but say he's the fifth big more often than not, even though Splitter isn't a great rebounder, just having him take Bonner's spot and Blair playing more minutes will make this an even better rebounding team.

Everyone get's so caught up in what the Spurs don't have, but look at what the Spurs do have. And not just amongst the bigs; look at the back court. This should be the best back court in the league.

Have you stopped and carefully looked at the frontlines of each of the top centenders in the league? All of which feature at least 2, in many cases 3, players of great size and length in their frontcourt rotation. Let's take a look, shall we:

Fakers - (Gasol, Bynum Odom, Mbenga)
Blazers- (Aldridge, Oden, Camby. Pendergraph)
Mavs - (Haywood, Chandler, Ajinca, Mahinmi)
Celtics -(Garnett, S. O'Neal, J O'Neal, Perkins)
Magic - (Howard, Gortat, Orton)
Heat - (Ilgauskas, Magloire, Bosh, Pittman, Howard)

All these guys at least 6'10" or above. Many of which are legit 7-footers. All the top contenders have size and length. And to add further insult to obvious injury, the Fakers added Spurs castoff Theo Ratliff, to help further shore up their frontline - as if they needed any more size?

All these teams have responded to the talent "arms race", by trying to match size with the Fakers. Meanwhile, the Spurs roll out Duncan, Splitter, Dice, Blair and Bonner. Get the picture? The Spurs are STILL undersized. Again, having Splitter is a wonderful addition that will be of great help to Duncan. However, the Spurs shouldn't have stopped there. Duncan and Dice are aged. Blair is woefully undersized.

For the past 3 postseasons, the Spurs FO and many of us fans figured that the Spurs had enough to contend against the top competition in the West. And every spring, we've watched Duncan get literally worn down from the burden of having the carry the team's offensive and defensive load, on both ends. Recall how the Suns picked and rolled Duncan to death, while literally running rings around the Spurs defense on the perimeter, during that epic 4-game sweep? Teams that win the rebounding battle and can stop their opponents usually win. The Suns outshot and outrebounded the Spurs in each of those 4 playoff games. They won handily.

The NBA is an ever-evolving league. Of course, there is always a need for shooters. However, at some point, in tough, grind-it-out, playoff games, defense, rebounding and interior scoring usually prevail. Look no further than the NBA finals matchups the past 3 seasons, for further example. If the Spurs had significantly upgraded their perimeter defense, perhaps the size disadvantage wouldn't be as glaring. However, that's not the case. Be it Mahinmi, Ratliff or whoever, this team needed an upgrade for its 5th big.

Nothing can match size and skill, except for size and skill. Anyone who believes otherwise is foolish. Furthermore, it would delusional to believe that the Spurs are adequately prepared to contend or contest against these bigger frontlines, particularly the Fakers. After all, as 2-time NBA champions, they SHOULD be the measuring stick.

admiralsnackbar
08-21-2010, 02:33 PM
Have you stopped and carefully looked at the frontlines of each of the top centenders in the league? All of which feature at least 2, in many cases 3, players of great size and length in their frontcourt rotation. Let's take a look, shall we:

All these guys at least 6'10" or above. Many of which are legit 7-footers. All the top contenders have size and length. And to add further insult to obvious injury, the Fakers added Spurs castoff Theo Ratliff, to help further shore up their frontline - as if they needed any more size?

All these teams have responded to the talent "arms race", by trying to match size with the Fakers. Meanwhile, the Spurs roll out Duncan, Splitter, Dice, Blair and Bonner. Get the picture? The Spurs are STILL undersized. Again, having Splitter is a wonderful addition that will be of great help to Duncan. However, the Spurs shouldn't have stopped there. Duncan and Dice are aged. Blair is woefully undersized.

For the past 3 postseasons, the Spurs FO and many of us fans figured that the Spurs had enough to contend against the top competition in the West. And every spring, we've watched Duncan get literally worn down from the burden of having the carry the team's offensive and defensive load, on both ends. Recall how the Suns picked and rolled Duncan to death, while literally running rings around the Spurs defense on the perimeter, during that epic 4-game sweep? Teams that win the rebounding battle and can stop their opponents usually win. The Suns outshot and outrebounded the Spurs in each of those 4 playoff games. They won handily.

The NBA is an ever-evolving league. Of course, there is always a need for shooters. However, at some point, in tough, grind-it-out, playoff games, defense, rebounding and interior scoring usually prevail. Look no further than the NBA finals matchups the past 3 seasons, for further example. If the Spurs had significantly upgraded their perimeter defense, perhaps the size disadvantage wouldn't be as glaring. However, that's not the case. Be it Mahinmi, Ratliff or whoever, this team needed an upgrade for its 5th big.

Nothing can match size and skill, except for size and skill. Anyone who believes otherwise is foolish. Furthermore, it would delusional to believe that the Spurs are adequately prepared to contend or contest against these bigger frontlines, particularly the Fakers. After all, as 2-time NBA champions, they SHOULD be the measuring stick.

There's no doubt that more talented bigs are always welcome, but if we are going to have a team that relies on shooting and penetration of necessity, it's encouraging to have probably the best pure rebounder in the league in Blair, along with Tim down low. Interior defense is great, but rebounds win ball games. Tim -- even now -- is at least as good on both ends of the court as any big the Bulls ever had, and Blair has all the skill of Rodman (arguable based on sample size, I admit).

The Bulls three-peated twice on the strength of their back-court and rebounding against teams with pretty decent front-courts, so while I'm not arguing we are going to win a ring next season or that Manu is Jordan, I am saying dominant teams have done more with less up front.

TD 21
08-21-2010, 02:49 PM

I don't need to "stop and look"; I know them off the top of my head.

Mbenga is a minimal player and not even on the Lakers anymore. When he was, he was never a rotation player.

Pendergraph is an unproven, minimal player, who's not a rotation player and is only 6-9.

Mahinmi and Ajinca (he won't even be active) are not rotation players and are both unproven.

Perkins is out until January-February. Once he returns, Shaq probably won't be in the rotation. But because it's possible at varying points against quality opposition and in the playoffs that they could all play, I'll give you this one.

Orton is unproven, minimal and not only will not be in the rotation, but like Ajinca, he won't even be active.

Pittman is unproven, minimal and barring injury, is likely to spend most of, if not all of, his season in the D-League. Howard is 6-9, minimal and will not not only not be in the rotation, but won't even be active more often than not. Magloire is minimal and also won't be in the rotation.

Out of the guys you named, seven are legit seven footers. That's it.

Ratliff is irrelevant because barring injury, he won't be in the rotation. Aside from a lot of the players you named being some combination of minimal, unproven and not quite as big as you think, you're overlooking that important fact. If they're not going to play in the playoffs barring injury, then why list them? The same thing would have happened had the Spurs re-signed Mahinmi.

I already conceded the Spurs are still slightly undersized, but it shouldn't be nearly as big of an issue as before. If you think about a potential matchup with the Lakers, they'll probably lean heavily on Duncan, McDyess and Splitter. One of Blair or Bonner will probably play relatively sparingly as the fourth big.

You're not thinking about this logically. Given what they could afford, would you play a Mahinmi or an Elson or an Mbenga over Blair, against the Lakers, just because they're taller? If the answer is no, then there's no point in having one of those types if they wouldn't play anyway.

I didn't. It was obvious last off season that the Spurs would ultimately need another long, second or third big caliber big, in order to win the championship. Theoretically, they now have that big. McDyess and Blair are solid players though and I wouldn't bench either just to play some guy who's taller but not nearly as good a player.

Size AND skill. That's just it. You find me another proven, rotation quality big that's 7-0, that the Spurs could have brought in without gutting the team. It has to be someone head and shoulders better than Blair, because that's really what we're talking about here. Not an irrelevant fifth or sixth big, like many of the types you named, which isn't going to be in a playoff rotation.