PDA

View Full Version : LOL byu

vander
08-18-2010, 04:39 PM
BYU considering going independent (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5472642&source=ESPNUHeadlines)

yeah, they hate and are afraid of BSU THAT MUCH :lol

I remember when ESPN went to BYU 2 years ago, there were a bunch of anti-BSU signs and shirts in the crowd, and they didn't even play BSU that year, or the year before.

for the MWC, this probably forces their hand, they'll have to do what I've been wanting them to do, invite at least 2 teams from the WAC so it falls apart and BYU can't go there with it's other sports

Blake
08-18-2010, 04:43 PM
they already have their own TV network.

at this date and time, I think it's a good move for BYU.

stretch
08-18-2010, 04:47 PM
I saw this thread, and thought it would be making fun of OU last year, getting their season imploded at the hands of BYU.

vander
08-18-2010, 04:56 PM
they already have their own TV network.

at this date and time, I think it's a good move for BYU.

they do? well, no guarantee that it would be more profitable for them,

I don't know many of the details, but I'm pretty sure BYU won't be able to make as much money outside of the MWC. especially if the MWC can add a few good teams and make a push for that 7th BCS conference

MannyIsGod
08-18-2010, 05:31 PM
MWC needs BYU more than BYU needs them but they both need each other more than BYU thinks, IMO.

MannyIsGod
08-18-2010, 05:41 PM
They just invited Nevada and Fresno State. Hows that for a kick in the nuts, BYU.

leemajors
08-18-2010, 06:39 PM
BYU only gets 1.5 mill per tv money from the MWC, and their TV network is on Dish and DirecTV on the basic package, and some other companies. That's 60 million Mormon viewers right there in the US alone.

Blake
08-18-2010, 06:45 PM
BYU only gets 1.5 mill per tv money from the MWC, and their TV network is on Dish and DirecTV on the basic package, and some other companies. That's 60 million Mormon viewers right there in the US alone.

I get the BYU network as part of my basic ATT package here in SA

Brutalis
08-18-2010, 07:46 PM
BYU isnt afraid of Bull Shit U bro.

vander
08-18-2010, 08:56 PM
yeah, Supposedly MWC invited Fresno and Nevada, and WAC invited SDSU and UNLV

both conferences know that only one of them will ultimately survive, so might as well settle it here and now.
supposedly Fresno is going to accept, so it all hinges on the Nevada teams, and they need to stay in/go to the MWC, the MWC must be the one that survives because the bottom of the WAC is soooooooo much worse, the MWC can go somewhere, the WAC can't

elbamba
08-18-2010, 08:57 PM
I think that it is a smart move for BYU. Obviously, they are no Notre Dame, but the MWC is lost any chance at an automatic BCS bid when it lost Utah. I like TCU and BSU but without Utah and BYU the conference is just not strong enough.

I believe they would get to keep all of their bowl money by going independant. And they could potentially get invites to bigger second tier bowls.

Goran Dragic
08-18-2010, 09:04 PM
That's 60 million Mormon viewers
Idk where you come up with the stat that there are 60 million Mormons in the US (or the world for that matter).

vander
08-18-2010, 09:08 PM
I think that it is a smart move for BYU. Obviously, they are no Notre Dame, but the MWC is lost any chance at an automatic BCS bid when it lost Utah. I like TCU and BSU but without Utah and BYU the conference is just not strong enough.

I believe they would get to keep all of their bowl money by going independant. And they could potentially get invites to bigger second tier bowls.

or they could stick with a conference that might get AQ status and guaranteed huge BCS money every year.

MWC gonna survive this, BYU, if they go independent, will become an irrelevant afterthought in college football,
mormon nation can only get you so far, hell, the mormons I know don't even like BYU anymore. soon there'll be other mormon schools rising to prominence and breaking up the BYU revenue and recruiting monopoly

Goran Dragic
08-18-2010, 09:12 PM
Yeah you're 100% right BYU doesn't have the stranglehold on Mormon support like they used to. The fact Notre Dame got a marquee Mormon recruit a year ago was a giant slap in the face to BYU.

Blake
08-18-2010, 09:17 PM
or they could stick with a conference that might get AQ status and guaranteed huge BCS money every year.

MWC gonna survive this, BYU, if they go independent, will become an irrelevant afterthought in college football,
mormon nation can only get you so far, hell, the mormons I know don't even like BYU anymore. soon there'll be other mormon schools rising to prominence and breaking up the BYU revenue and recruiting monopoly

I think BYU is not really thinking about being independent for the long term.

MannyIsGod
08-18-2010, 09:29 PM
I think BYU is certainly overvaluing themselves right now. In any event, if the WAC teams come over to the MWC then BYU is fucked outside of football so I think it can go either way. As I said earlier, MWC certainly needs BYU more than BYU needs them but BYU isn't going to break the bank as an independent by any means.

MannyIsGod
08-18-2010, 09:33 PM
It appears both Fresno State and Nevada have accepted.

Blake
08-18-2010, 09:34 PM
I think BYU is certainly overvaluing themselves right now. In any event, if the WAC teams come over to the MWC then BYU is fucked outside of football so I think it can go either way. As I said earlier, MWC certainly needs BYU more than BYU needs them but BYU isn't going to break the bank as an independent by any means.

Wouldn't surprise me if talk of the Big XII vacancies came up in the BYU board room.

It also wouldn't surprise me to see the Big XII extend an invite in the next few years.

MannyIsGod
08-18-2010, 09:37 PM
I really, really, really, doubt that.

Stump
08-18-2010, 09:56 PM
Not a great move, but I understand their reasons. I'd think this would also make it easier to enter a BCS conference like the Big 12 (Texas version) at a later point.

Blake
08-18-2010, 09:57 PM
I really, really, really, doubt that.

I think sooner or later, we see some superconferences of 16 teams. The current Big XII could easily include BYU with say TCU or others.

It also wouldn't surprise me if the Big XII blew up and UT went west and A&M went east.

After what's been happening recently, nothing really can surprise me any more. I'm just trying to figure out BYU's thought process behind going independent.

MannyIsGod
08-18-2010, 10:27 PM
I think they simply believe they can make more money as an independent. If the Big 12 wanted BYU they could have had them easily. I don't think Texas has any interest in bringing anyone like BYU aboard in the Big 12 though.

leemajors
08-18-2010, 10:30 PM
Idk where you come up with the stat that there are 60 million Mormons in the US (or the world for that matter).

you are right, i quoted a radio show. 13 mill worldwide.i guess they meant 60 million potential viewers, or maybe they said 6 million.

vander
08-18-2010, 10:36 PM
It appears both Fresno State and Nevada have accepted.

true enough to make the ESPN ticker, so

Thank You Thank You Thank You BYU! :lol

this is pretty much exactly what I've been wanting to happen, what needed to happen, and BYU accidentally makes it happen with their misguided arrogance :lol:lol:lol

maybe this is what they planned all along

with all these new teams, no doubt that TV contract gets renegotiated as well

elbamba
08-19-2010, 12:01 AM
true enough to make the ESPN ticker, so

Thank You Thank You Thank You BYU! :lol

this is pretty much exactly what I've been wanting to happen, what needed to happen, and BYU accidentally makes it happen with their misguided arrogance :lol:lol:lol

maybe this is what they planned all along

with all these new teams, no doubt that TV contract gets renegotiated as well

The problem is that neither Nevada nor FS make the MWC better. Both teams are pretty weak. BYU is a much bigger loss imho.

elbamba
08-19-2010, 12:03 AM
Keep in mind that the WAC with Nevada, BSU, TCU and FSU never received any consideration for automatic BCS bids, why would it change now that they moved over to essentially the old WAC minus two of the best teams?

kamikazi_player
08-19-2010, 02:19 PM
Nice to see Fresno St. get some exposure and leave the WAC as well. Good move!

The problem is that neither Nevada nor FS make the MWC better. Both teams are pretty weak. BYU is a much bigger loss imho.

You clearly haven't been watching Fresno St. football, they are not great, but still reach over 50% in 9 of the last 10 seasons.

The Gemini Method
08-19-2010, 06:18 PM
lol Mormons...

I don't think the "cannibalism" will stop for the forseeable future. It will continue and soon enough we'll only have a number of 16-team super/mega/gigantor conferences. I wouldn't be surprised if you see BYU come back to the fold.

symple19
08-20-2010, 05:42 AM

You clearly haven't been watching Fresno St. football, they are not great, but still reach over 50% in 9 of the last 10 seasons.

bwahahahaha....

cen-cal football is irrelevant

Nego
08-20-2010, 08:27 AM
Guys, I dont claim or pretend to be an expert on all things sports like some people.. but to play Devil's Advocate.. and also being a former BYU Cougar myself.. I think that they would be an excellent addition to the Big 12.. I know Provo is far away..but the school does have a great football tradition as it was once called Quarterback U for producing such NFL players as Steve Young, Jim Mcmahon, Ty Detmer, Marc Wilson, Robbie Bosco who won a national title, and Gifford Nielson who played for the Oilers.

Not to mention players like Merlin Olsen, Todd Christensen, Vai Sikahema, Brian Billick, Andy Reid, Jason Buck, Reno Mahe, and even Mike Leach(Coaching).

They had a span of nearly twenty-two years in which they were ranked in a Top 20 poll while under Hall of fame coach Lavelle Edwards. They won the national Title in 1984. They have won 23 conference championships(19 WAC-4 MWC) and played in 28 bowl games. Their Bowl record isnt amazing (10-17-1) but at least they've been there. They have also had one Heisman Trophy Winner in Ty Detmer.

Look, I'm not saying that they are UT or OU, but they also aren't like some of the current remaining members of the Big 12 which shall remain nameless. I dont think the Big 12 would do worse by adding BYU or even TCU for that matter.

It's just me giving my opinion the same as all of you have. Peace.

EDIT: Just realized I didnt mention their other sports like Basketball and Baseball, but I think the point was made.

Blake
08-20-2010, 10:59 AM
lol Mormons...

I don't think the "cannibalism" will stop for the forseeable future. It will continue and soon enough we'll only have a number of 16-team super/mega/gigantor conferences. I wouldn't be surprised if you see BYU come back to the fold.

I doubt they go back to the MWC or join the WAC any time soon and the Pac 10 clearly does not like religious schools.

If they don't get a Big XII invite, they will stay independent in my opinion.

Blake
08-20-2010, 11:06 AM
Guys, I dont claim or pretend to be an expert on all things sports like some people.. but to play Devil's Advocate.. and also being a former BYU Cougar myself.. I think that they would be an excellent addition to the Big 12.. I know Provo is far away..but the school does have a great football tradition as it was once called Quarterback U for producing such NFL players as Steve Young, Jim Mcmahon, Ty Detmer, Marc Wilson, Robbie Bosco who won a national title, and Gifford Nielson who played for the Oilers.

Not to mention players like Merlin Olsen, Todd Christensen, Vai Sikahema, Brian Billick, Andy Reid, Jason Buck, Reno Mahe, and even Mike Leach(Coaching).

They had a span of nearly twenty-two years in which they were ranked in a Top 20 poll while under Hall of fame coach Lavelle Edwards. They won the national Title in 1984. They have won 23 conference championships(19 WAC-4 MWC) and played in 28 bowl games. Their Bowl record isnt amazing (10-17-1) but at least they've been there. They have also had one Heisman Trophy Winner in Ty Detmer.

Look, I'm not saying that they are UT or OU, but they also aren't like some of the current remaining members of the Big 12 which shall remain nameless. I dont think the Big 12 would do worse by adding BYU or even TCU for that matter.

It's just me giving my opinion the same as all of you have. Peace.

EDIT: Just realized I didnt mention their other sports like Basketball and Baseball, but I think the point was made.

Negotiator?

MannyIsGod
08-20-2010, 11:47 AM
What was stopping them from being invited by the big 12 already?

Texas doesn't want a team like BYU in their conference. I promise you.

BTW they're not out of the MWC yet, Blake.

The Gemini Method
08-20-2010, 12:32 PM
bwahahahaha....

Cen-cal is irrelevant

fify.

vander
08-20-2010, 02:37 PM
Wish I knew what was going on now, are they going to renegotiate that TV deal, are Fresno and Nevada coming over in 2011 or 2012? is SDSU still planing on going to the WAC? is BYU going to stay now?

they should just let BYU use their own network for their home games. and let ESPN pick up the games they want too, then all will be well.

elbamba
08-20-2010, 02:54 PM

Please don't mistake me, I like FSU but the truth is that a team that is celebrating being able to win about 50% will not impress any of the voters.

Blake
08-20-2010, 03:00 PM
What was stopping them from being invited by the big 12 already?

The Big 12 hasn't been handing invitations to anyone. If they can make Tech and Okie St financially happy in the next few years, they might just stay at 10 teams for a long time.

Texas doesn't want a team like BYU in their conference. I promise you.

BYU is on UT's schedule in 2011 so they obviously don't mind playing them.

As for being in their conference, why would they be against it?

BTW they're not out of the MWC yet, Blake.

I thought it was basically a done deal. Does it look like they won't be leaving after all?

kamikazi_player
08-20-2010, 03:47 PM
Please don't mistake me, I like FSU but the truth is that a team that is celebrating being able to win about 50% will not impress any of the voters.

I know FSU hasn't done jack shit after David Carr left (probably give USC fits in 2005) But they still are very competitive and they will face anybody unlike BSU. I know BSU ask teams to play with them, but who the fuck wants to play in that god awful field. Fresno St. in the past decade has gotten so many wins against bowl eligible teams. The only difference is that they play in that weak conference just like BSU. MWC is an upgrade and should help FSU, Neveda, and BSU get some exposure.

kamikazi_player
08-20-2010, 03:50 PM
Wish I knew what was going on now, are they going to renegotiate that TV deal, are Fresno and Nevada coming over in 2011 or 2012? is SDSU still planing on going to the WAC? is BYU going to stay now?

they should just let BYU use their own network for their home games. and let ESPN pick up the games they want too, then all will be well.

could be 2012, they got penalized for leaving too late in the process.

MannyIsGod
08-20-2010, 04:02 PM
Its not about playing BYU, Blake. Its about PAYING BYU.

Blake
08-20-2010, 04:17 PM
MWC is an upgrade and should help FSU, Neveda, and BSU get some exposure.

unfortunately, adding FSU and Nevada won't help get the MWC an automatic BCS bid.

Blake
08-20-2010, 04:26 PM
Its not about playing BYU, Blake. Its about PAYING BYU.

huh, strange we are talking about it.......BYU and UT just agreed to another two games in 2013 and 2014 reported just a few hours ago.

Is there something about BYU you think UT doesn't like?

elbamba
08-20-2010, 05:55 PM
I know FSU hasn't done jack shit after David Carr left (probably give USC fits in 2005) But they still are very competitive and they will face anybody unlike BSU. I know BSU ask teams to play with them, but who the fuck wants to play in that god awful field. Fresno St. in the past decade has gotten so many wins against bowl eligible teams. The only difference is that they play in that weak conference just like BSU. MWC is an upgrade and should help FSU, Neveda, and BSU get some exposure.

I would agree with you that the MWC is an upgrade if Utah had stayed and if BYU stayed. Problem is that now it is essentially the same conference as the WAC with a mediocre Air Force team.

vander
08-20-2010, 06:40 PM
local sports talk talking about MWC and Conference USA making a pitch to the BCS about an automatic qualifying play-in game between the two conferences :lmao

also, rumors that MWC might invite Houston and/or SMU

that would be good, then the MWC would have just about all the prominent non-BCS schools.

now if they could just get Wyoming to leave...

vander
08-20-2010, 06:44 PM
unfortunately, adding FSU and Nevada won't help get the MWC an automatic BCS bid.

at this very moment? no
but a few years down the road? they'll help more than hurt, these are two teams capable of posting a +.500 record against BCS opponents. they're better than half the teams in the MWC. they make the MWC better

Blake
08-20-2010, 09:31 PM
at this very moment? no
but a few years down the road? they'll help more than hurt, these are two teams capable of posting a +.500 record against BCS opponents. they're better than half the teams in the MWC. they make the MWC better

MWC + (FSU + Nevada) - BYU < MWC + BYU - (FSU + Nevada)

vander
08-20-2010, 09:48 PM
MWC + (FSU + Nevada) - BYU < MWC + BYU - (FSU + Nevada)

MWC didn't go out and trade BYU for Fresno and Nevada :lol

they got those two in the hopes of keeping BYU, or at least improving a BYU-less conference

Blake
08-20-2010, 10:08 PM
MWC didn't go out and trade BYU for Fresno and Nevada :lol

they got those two in the hopes of keeping BYU, or at least improving a BYU-less conference

you said those two teams make the conference better.

I'm just saying without BYU, the conference is not better.

MannyIsGod
08-20-2010, 10:09 PM
Blake why didn't they invite anymore teams to the Big 12?

Girasuck
08-21-2010, 10:09 AM
A lot of bad information in this thread.

First...Merlin Olsen didn't attend BYU. He's from Utah State.

Ok, BYU wanted to go independent in football for 2 reasons...ESPN was offering BYU 5 million per home game (4-5 total broadcasts per year) and there were talks between BYU and the Big 12 for BYU to join them within the next 3 years. BYU figured they'd hit up the cash cow as an independent until the Big 12 came calling. BYU was moving all other sports to the WAC. Well, when the MWC big wigs found out about it, they pulled a fast one on BYU and invited 3 WAC teams...Utah State was the first but the Aggies declined because they figured all BYU sports (minus football) were on their way to the WAC. Fresno and Nevada were invited and accepted. When the WAC found out about the invites to Fresno and Nevada, they turned around and invited SDSU and UNLV. No word from either school on what they're doing.

In the meantime, BYU and the MWC are working on a new TV deal similar to what Texas has in the Big 12. Also BYU, the MWC, Comcast, and ESPN are negotiating a deal to let a couple BYU home games be broadcasted on ESPN.

So from the looks of it now, BYU will remain in the MWC, Fresno and Nevada will join the MWC in 2011...the MWC already said they will pay the buyout for both schools that the WAC put in place after Boise left (5 million per team). SDSU and UNLV will most likely stay in the MWC, and next year the MWC will go after a 12th team...rumor right now is either Houston or SMU from C-USA. Thw MWC will then have a championship game and an AQ to a BCS bowl game. That's the plan for now.

elbamba
08-21-2010, 10:12 AM
Blake why didn't they invite anymore teams to the Big 12?

My guess is money. All of the schools are going to get more money under the current contract so why bring in a school or two to take away several million.

Girasuck
08-21-2010, 10:22 AM
One other thing...the WAC will now be dead in 2 years unless they can put something together with the remaining C-USA teams, or invite UTSA and Texas State, which I'm sure would interest some here. UTSA is pushing hard for the WAC now. The WAC will only have 6 schools left...Utah State, Louisiana Tech, San Jose St, New Mexico St, Hawaii, and Idaho. UTSA and Texas State would work geographically as well. Rumblings out of Hawaii that they might pursue being an independent now unless the WAC can pull something together quickly.

vander
08-21-2010, 10:32 AM

Ok, BYU wanted to go independent in football for 2 reasons...ESPN was offering BYU 5 million per home game (4-5 total broadcasts per year) and there were talks between BYU and the Big 12 for BYU to join them within the next 3 years. BYU figured they'd hit up the cash cow as an independent until the Big 12 came calling. BYU was moving all other sports to the WAC. Well, when the MWC big wigs found out about it, they pulled a fast one on BYU and invited 3 WAC teams...Utah State was the first but the Aggies declined because they figured all BYU sports (minus football) were on their way to the WAC. Fresno and Nevada were invited and accepted. When the WAC found out about the invites to Fresno and Nevada, they turned around and invited SDSU and UNLV. No word from either school on what they're doing.

In the meantime, BYU and the MWC are working on a new TV deal similar to what Texas has in the Big 12. Also BYU, the MWC, Comcast, and ESPN are negotiating a deal to let a couple BYU home games be broadcasted on ESPN.

So from the looks of it now, BYU will remain in the MWC, Fresno and Nevada will join the MWC in 2011...the MWC already said they will pay the buyout for both schools that the WAC put in place after Boise left (5 million per team). SDSU and UNLV will most likely stay in the MWC, and next year the MWC will go after a 12th team...rumor right now is either Houston or SMU from C-USA. Thw MWC will then have a championship game and an AQ to a BCS bowl game. That's the plan for now.

where are you hearing this from? might BSU be getting some ESPN Games as well?

MannyIsGod
08-21-2010, 10:39 AM
My guess is money. All of the schools are going to get more money under the current contract so why bring in a school or two to take away several million.

Winner!

MannyIsGod
08-21-2010, 10:42 AM

Where are you getting this from? Seems like nothing more than regurgitation of what was said in this thread and a lot of speculation on your end.

Girasuck
08-21-2010, 10:51 AM
Oh my god...do you guys really want me to post all the links to the articles? Do some fucking research lazy asses.

vander
08-21-2010, 10:53 AM
Oh my god...do you guys really want me to post all the links to the articles? Do some fucking research lazy asses.

we've read the articles, most of your post was not new information

the only thing I hadn't heard anything about is the TV negotiations you claim are taking place.

Girasuck
08-21-2010, 11:20 AM
KSL channel 5, KUTV channel 2, Deseret News, Salt Lake Tribune, 1320 KFAN. All have reported the same thing on air/in print...BYU is in talks to renegotiate a TV deal with the MWC and ESPN to allow some home games to be broadcast on ESPN. Also, all reported about ESPN wanting to broadcast BYU home games as the main reason why BYU was going independent. I guess if you don't live locally then there's not much else I can do.

MannyIsGod
08-21-2010, 11:25 AM
And yet a search on Google News shows none of it. You would think such big news would be reported by all the national outlets but you can't even provide a link or two. Everyone knows from day one about BYU and ESPN but no one can find specific numbers and yet you somehow did.

Like I said, you posted nothing but speculation under the guise you were bringing something new and enlightening.

Blake
08-21-2010, 01:43 PM

oh my god! how hard is it to throw out a few links to where you got your information?

lazy ass.

Nego
08-26-2010, 08:13 AM
Hey Blake.. How ya been? Yeah it's me.. Well.. Gira..yeah I forgot about Merlin being from "Utah State"..but whatever.. leave it to a Ute to try to correct stuff..lol

relax I'm just joking.. you guys have had good players too like Scott Mitchell..:tongue

see ya around Blake..

tsb2000
08-26-2010, 01:32 PM
BYU- lol!

Regardless of whether they stay in the MWC or go independent, they are forever the minor league team (and school :)). Look no further than Baylor as to why BYU will not get invited to the Big 12. No way a school like Baylor accepts a Mormon school into anything. Not to mention, BYU will not play any sports on Sundays. Big conferences and TV both have big problems with that.

Oh, and as if it needs to be said, BYU just plain sucks. :lol

vander
08-26-2010, 04:21 PM
Sounds like BYU is staying. now the MWC just needs to drop one bad team (SDSU/Wyoming) and get SMU and Houston and the perfect offseason will be complete

elbamba
08-31-2010, 07:22 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5517305

Looks like BYU is going independent after all. They will join the WCC for every other sport.

vander
09-01-2010, 10:58 AM
anyone know if BYU will still get any of the BCS money when BSU goes to a BCS bowl game?

that paycheck has to be shared with all the other non-AQ conferences, but does it have to be shared with the independents as well?

Mountain West may never get AQ status now, but they should at least try and get the rules changed so that they get to keep all the money when they send a team to a BCS game

BSU needs MONEY!!! our facilities are pathetic :bang

also, have fun becoming irrelevant BYU :toast

vander
10-02-2010, 12:11 AM
1-4

losing to utah st. :lmao