PDA

View Full Version : Prayer becoming illegal

spursncowboys
08-18-2010, 06:23 PM
Students Allegedly Ordered to Stop Praying Outside Supreme Court Building

By Todd Starnes
Published July 15, 2010
| FoxNews.com

Print (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/07/15/students-ordered-stop-praying-outside-supreme-court-building/#)
Email (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/07/15/students-ordered-stop-praying-outside-supreme-court-building/#)
Share (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/07/15/students-ordered-stop-praying-outside-supreme-court-building/#)
Comments (582) (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/07/15/students-ordered-stop-praying-outside-supreme-court-building/#content)

(http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/07/15/students-ordered-stop-praying-outside-supreme-court-building/#) Text Size (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/07/15/students-ordered-stop-praying-outside-supreme-court-building/#)

http://www.foxnews.com/static/managed/img/U.S./071510_supremecourt_397x224.jpg
AP

A group of Christian students was allegedly ordered to stop praying outside the U.S. Supreme Court building on May 5 because a court police officer told them it was against the law.
The students were part of a junior high school American History class at Wickenburg Christian Academy in Arizona. After taking pictures on the steps of the Supreme Court building, their teacher gathered them to a side location where they formed a circle and began to pray.
According to Nate Kellum, senior counsel with the Alliance Defense Fund, a police officer “abruptly” interrupted the prayer and ordered the group to cease and desist.
“They were told to stop praying because they were violating the law and they had to take their prayer elsewhere,” Kellum told FOX News Radio.
A spokesperson for the Court said the Marshal of the Court will look into the events alleged by the ADF.
“The Court does not have a policy prohibiting prayer,” said public information officer Kathy Arberg in an email to FOX News Radio.
So the group of 15 students and seven adults left the Supreme Court and relocated to a sidewalk – where Rigo said the children stood in a gutter – and continued their prayer. (http://radio.foxnews.com/2010/07/15/scotus-cops-order-kids-to-stop-praying/#axzz0tn970xGn)http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/07/15/students-ordered-stop-praying-outside-supreme-court-building/

On Glen Beck's show yesterday, he said how he rented out the JFK art center. He is going to have pastors come in and talk read sermons that our founding fathers wrote and then interpret them to now a day. Who ever was speaking on behalf of the Center called Beck and told him they were not allowed to pray in the Art Center.

clambake
08-18-2010, 06:33 PM
good

jack sommerset
08-18-2010, 06:35 PM
goddamnit!

clambake
08-18-2010, 06:40 PM
glen beck and his cult children. those kids have shitty parents.

i wouldn't let my kid near that freaky bastard.

baseline bum
08-18-2010, 06:40 PM
If they wanna talk to imaginary white man in the sky, just let them. Cops are such dipshits.

Blake
08-18-2010, 06:47 PM
If they wanna talk to imaginary white man in the sky, just let them. Cops are such dipshits.

+1

I'm not quite sure why this was an illegal activity...

did they have a bullhorn?

clambake
08-18-2010, 07:02 PM
+1

they got kicked out for spreading bullshit.

ChumpDumper
08-18-2010, 07:50 PM
Sounds like the officer was just ignorant.

If it even really happened.

Thread title fail.

Blake
08-18-2010, 07:52 PM
Thread title fail.

boutons_deux
08-18-2010, 08:51 PM
"the children stood in a gutter – and continued their prayer."

God didn't care.

cool cat
08-18-2010, 09:20 PM
"the children stood in a gutter – and continued their prayer."

God didn't care.

Thats right God doesn't care where you pray just as long as you do it as a form of serving God. Gutter, trash can or Jerusalem's Western Wall its all good.

LnGrrrR
08-18-2010, 09:28 PM
If it's on public property, they should have been able to. Of course, there's a chance that they were broken up for being too loud, and/or not having a permit to demonstrate, or any number of various factors. If it's just because they were praying, then it's obvious that the cop is a dumbass.

Marcus Bryant
08-18-2010, 09:29 PM
Thank God they weren't Moslems.

Marcus Bryant
08-18-2010, 09:32 PM
Of course, this could be instructional vis a vis one's constitutional rights and religious liberty....

Spurminator
08-18-2010, 10:23 PM
They're coming to get you!

Jacob1983
08-18-2010, 10:59 PM
Glenn Beck is an idiot and a crazy person. You can pray anywhere you want and anytime. Just do a silent prayer and do not speak outloud.

FromWayDowntown
08-19-2010, 12:43 AM
Where's Wild Cobra to question the allegations and demand context!?!?!?

It is a delicious irony, if the story is correct, that the Court's police force could so blantanly misapply clear principles of law decided by the very court it is meant to protect. The law obviously permits prayer by private groups in public places -- such a practice is completely consistent with the Free Exercise Clause without running afoul of the Establishment Clause.

silverblk mystix
08-19-2010, 12:57 AM
REMEMBER

If you are talking to some spirit up in the sky---it is praying

if he answers back-- you are crazy

ElNono
08-19-2010, 07:31 AM
Main Entry: al·leged
Pronunciation: \ə-ˈlejd, -ˈle-jəd\
Function: adjective
Date: 15th century
1 : asserted to be true or to exist <an alleged miracle>
2 : questionably true or of a specified kind : supposed, so-called <bought an alleged antique vase>
3 : accused but not proven or convicted <an alleged burglar>

Thread title fail.

TeyshaBlue
08-19-2010, 08:40 AM
Main Entry: al·leged
Pronunciation: \ə-ˈlejd, -ˈle-jəd\
Function: adjective
Date: 15th century
1 : asserted to be true or to exist <an alleged miracle>
2 : questionably true or of a specified kind : supposed, so-called <bought an alleged antique vase>
3 : accused but not proven or convicted <an alleged burglar>

I think Chump was refering to the actual title of the thread "Prayer becoming illegal".:wakeup

Spurminator
08-19-2010, 08:40 AM
“The Court does not have a policy prohibiting prayer,” said public information officer Kathy Arberg in an email to FOX News Radio.

They're outlawing prayer!

Drachen
08-19-2010, 12:13 PM
They could have just told the cop that they weren't praying, instead that the were just audibly wishing really hard. The cop would have been satisfied and the group wouldn't have been lying. :stirpot:

George Gervin's Afro
08-19-2010, 12:56 PM
snc is reaffirming his idiocy:toast

hater
08-19-2010, 12:58 PM
:lmao owned

Cane
08-19-2010, 04:42 PM
On Glen Beck's show yesterday

:depressed

Wild Cobra
08-19-2010, 04:44 PM
+1

Liberals love to say crosses cannot be displayed, destroying others first amendment rights. then when the same claims are made of how offensive building a mosque near the 9/11 site, and opening it on the 9/11 anniversary...

Liberals fail to understand the offense others see.

LnGrrrR
08-19-2010, 04:54 PM
Liberals love to say crosses cannot be displayed, destroying others first amendment rights. then when the same claims are made of how offensive building a mosque near the 9/11 site, and opening it on the 9/11 anniversary...

Liberals fail to understand the offense others see.

WC fails to see the difference between government and private property.

Most cases that liberals take up against displayed crosses and other religious paraphernalia relate to them being on government property. For instance, the Ten Commandments displayed in a court of law.

And personally, I don't think there's anything offensive about opening a mosque there.

Wild Cobra
08-19-2010, 04:59 PM
WC fails to see the difference between government and private property.

Most cases that liberals take up against displayed crosses and other religious paraphernalia relate to them being on government property. For instance, the Ten Commandments displayed in a court of law.

And personally, I don't think there's anything offensive about opening a mosque there.
But there is no real "separation of church and state." The first amendment does not say religion cannot influence government. In fact, the way it's written, I would say it bars government from removing existing religions artifacts on government property for such incorrect interpretations.

Spurminator
08-19-2010, 05:03 PM
But there is no real "separation of church and state." The first amendment does not say religion cannot influence government. In fact, the way it's written, I would say it bars government from removing existing religions artifacts on government property for such incorrect interpretations.

I have a problem with governments forcing the removal of religious symbols from certain public areas. I also have a problem with governments funding the production or placement of such symbols.