PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo: Ranking the PG's (Parker no. 9, George Hill no. 26)

Cane
08-18-2010, 09:56 PM
Chris Paul
Deron Williams
Rajon Rondo
Steve Nash
Derrick Rose
Chauncey Billups
Russell Westbrook
Devin Harris
Tony Parker
Baron Davis
Jameer Nelson
Jason Kidd
Stephen Curry
Andre Miller
Brandon Jennings
Darren Collison
John Wall
Lou Williams
Mo Williams
Jose Calderon
Aaron Brooks
Ramon Sessions
Raymond Felton
Jarrett Jack
Ty Lawson
George Hill
Mike Conley
Jrue Holiday
Rodney Stuckey
Kyle Lowry

9. Tony Parker(notes), San Antonio Spurs (last year: third)

This ranking is purely on the hopes that Parker will have a bounce-back year after a terrible 2009-10. Because if he plays the same this season as he did the last? Then there's no real difference between him and Aaron Brooks(notes), save for the part about Aaron Brooks being slightly better. Tony turned 28 last May and dealt with injuries last season, but man was 2009-10 a bad turn for him. Parker has top-five potential on this list, but he has quite a bit of work to do.

-----

26. George Hill(notes), San Antonio Spurs (last year: unranked)

Hill always seems like an off-guard to us, and his offensive stats were actually better at the shooting guard slot last season. That might be a function of Gregg Popovich's offense, however. Even when Avery Johnson was dominating the ball, he still was asked to hit quite a few elbow-extended (and for Avery, that elbow really was extended) jumpers. OK, George Hill. Others see borderline stardom. I see a quite competent hybrid guard well-suited for the team he's on.

More at:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Ranking-the-point-guards-10-through-No-1;_ylt=Akvd_.AI.3WDnA4etr_ZNwS8vLYF?urn=nba-263267

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Ranking-the-point-guards-20-through-11;_ylt=AhEXaZk7FrEtKtAaRJjFaiO8vLYF?urn=nba-263059

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Ranking-the-point-guards-30-through-21;_ylt=AtpPn2NpfDnM3jqYU0_hbZC8vLYF?urn=nba-263026

Decent take that sums up a lot of the common arguments about the two players; hopefully Parker can rebound back to his top 5 self and George Hill continues to improve :flag:

Hooks
08-18-2010, 09:59 PM
Devin Harris ahead of Parker? BS

ducks
08-18-2010, 10:00 PM
not by most posters here

Sean Cagney
08-18-2010, 10:02 PM
Harris higher? LMFAO. He had a shitty year last year too huh? He gets hurt alot too on the regular. I don't see it.

8FOR!3
08-18-2010, 10:12 PM
How many championships does Devin Harris have again?

Chieflion
08-18-2010, 10:14 PM
Is this the article where the pictures of every PG include Ty Lawson?

JR3
08-18-2010, 11:18 PM
Parker over Harris. George is about where he should be. Not anpure point gaurd though.

DieMrBond
08-18-2010, 11:23 PM
Also, how can people put Chris Paul over Deron Williams?

Surely Deron showed last year how that was wrong? And the year before...

Ditty
08-18-2010, 11:28 PM
parker should be 3rd when he's healthy

brooks is better than everyone until above 13

hill could be around 13 but some of these guys like jennings and collison were big for there teams last season

Leetonidas
08-18-2010, 11:30 PM
Chris Paul
Deron Williams
Rajon Rondo
Steve Nash
Derrick Rose
Chauncey Billups
Russell Westbrook
Devin Harris
Tony Parker

Those three are definitely not better than a healthy Parker. Hell Rondo and Rose is debatable, as well as Nash since he is getting old. One injured season and everyone forgets.

Texas_Ranger
08-18-2010, 11:32 PM
Where's Beno??

And I'm serious.

ajballer4
08-19-2010, 12:39 AM
Lou Williams? Ty Lawson? Jarett Jack? Hill is way better than these three

Indazone
08-19-2010, 01:22 AM
lol @ John Wall at 17 without ever playing an NBA game.

velik_m
08-19-2010, 02:11 AM
Where's Beno??

And I'm serious.

Not in top 30? :p:

J_Paco
08-19-2010, 03:15 AM
That list completely sucks. Aaron Brooks is too low (should be #15), Andre Miller is too high (should be #20) and noway is Devin Harris better than Tony Parker. Parker is a better defender, passer, scores more efficiently and actually gave a damn (when healthy) last season. Not to also mention that Ramon Sessions is definitely not better than George Hill. Sessions had a couple of good games as a rookie and has done nothing since. Oh, I think John Wall holds a ton of potential, he's a top 5-10 talent, but shouldn't be higher than 25th.

DesignatedT
08-19-2010, 03:31 AM
tony should be #5

Obstructed_View
08-19-2010, 03:32 AM
If Tony Parker drops from three to nine for an injury-plagued season, how the fuck is Paul at number one?

Waps1980
08-19-2010, 03:47 AM
Those three are definitely not better than a healthy Parker. Hell Rondo and Rose is debatable, as well as Nash since he is getting old. One injured season and everyone forgets.
Westbrooks stats are pretty on par with Parker but he is a better defender and rebounder than parker. He rates pretty high in triple double count.
I'd rate him better than Parker.

Plus for 2 seasons in he's going to be a gun.

TDMVPDPOY
08-19-2010, 04:26 AM
haters :D

mountainballer
08-19-2010, 04:56 AM
jesus, another list, another nitpicking orgy that tries to prove the inaccuracy.

fact is, at this point to put Tony at #9 is a friendly ranking. (and it's not a bad thing to be top 10 at whatever position in the NBA). Harris at 8 isn't accurate, but who cares.
7-10 is Tony's range, let's be happy if he can stay there for some more years.
the top PGs are all still young and might even get better (Paul, Williams, Rondo)
the group of talented youngsters will close in quickly (Rose, Westbrook, maybe/likely Wall). some other still very young PGs could make a big jump the next 2 years as well (Curry, Collison, Lawson, Brooks) and super vets like Billups and Nash are still pretty good.

Texas_Ranger
08-19-2010, 06:03 AM
Not in top 30? :p:

I think he's better than Sessions, Ty Lawson, Jrue Holiday and Kyle Lowry.
And he's just as good or even better than Jack, Felton, Calderon and Conley.
And why is Wall on this list??

Grega
08-19-2010, 06:16 AM
I think he's better than Sessions, Ty Lawson, Jrue Holiday and Kyle Lowry.
And he's just as good or even better than Jack, Felton, Calderon and Conley.
And why is Wall on this list??

Here's an explanation regarding Dragic and Udrih.
http://twitter.com/KDonhoops/status/21469546377

Texas_Ranger
08-19-2010, 06:25 AM
Here's an explanation regarding Dragic and Udrih.
http://twitter.com/KDonhoops/status/21469546377

Thanx, but Beno behind Goran??
I know Dragič is pretty good, but right now Beno's still a better player.

Hahaha, Beno rocks. :D

http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2010/8/18/1629665/beno-udrih-vs-rodney-stuckey-vs

eisfeld
08-19-2010, 06:41 AM
Very questionable list...

Williams and Paul are the best PG's right now. Due to Paul's injury and Williams consistent play I'd put Williams first and Paul second.
Rondo at #3? The guy is huge for the Celtics and a good player but right now I'd never put him ahead of Nash and Rose.

Harris over Parker is also beyond me. Harris might be the more traditional PG of the two but Parker has so many ways of creating opportunities for himself and his teammates.

Jameer Nelson over Kidd? Kidd might be old and Nelson was a good starter for the Magic before his injury but right now Kidd is the better player.

John Wall? Never played a game? Hell why don't they include Rubio.

Haven't followoed many Warriors games last season but isn't Curry a SG?

Kinda agree with Westbrook being that high though - the guy hasn't hit his ceiling yet and is already a very good PG.

Grega
08-19-2010, 06:53 AM
I think he's grading according to future potential and past preformance. Beno didn't exactly have many good years, with exception of 2007/08 and 2009/10. Many still think that last year was a fluke, we'll see, and he doesn' t have a lot of space to improve.
If you only look at the past season, than he probably is in the top 30.

Texas_Ranger
08-19-2010, 07:13 AM
I think he's grading according to future potential and past preformance. Beno didn't exactly have many good years, with exception of 2007/08 and 2009/10. Many still think that last year was a fluke, we'll see, and he doesn' t have a lot of space to improve.
If you only look at the past season, than he probably is in the top 30.

Well a lot of those players were not good in the past.

Pauleta14
08-19-2010, 09:43 AM
waow, I stoped reading when I saw Devin Harris ahead of TP...

guzmangm
08-19-2010, 10:03 AM
Think if Tony could get away with his travels as much as Paul gets away with pushing off.

My Fault
08-19-2010, 10:10 AM
I agree for the most part except on Harris being better than Parker.

Höfner
08-19-2010, 12:14 PM
What a terrible list.

quentin_compson
08-19-2010, 12:24 PM
I think Tony can be top 6 when healthy. Paul, Williams, Rondo, Nash and Billups are all better than Tony, maybe Rose as well.
But it's a strange list. As someone else already pointed out, they clearly factored in TP's injury-plagued season, but didn't do so with Chris Paul.

Supergirl
08-19-2010, 12:33 PM
I'm sorry but the only PGs who should be ahead of TP right now are Chris Paul, Deron Williams, and perhaps Rajon Rondo and Chauncey Billups. The first two because they're two of the top players in the NBA at any position, and the latter two because they are at least as good as TP and have won championships for their team. That puts TP at no lower than #5. Maybe you give Nash the nod because he's so good, but only on setting up offense. Defensively he'd be close to last on that list.

gospursgojas
08-19-2010, 12:38 PM
how can they rank John Wall????

and yeah Harris over parker is stoopid

DJB
08-19-2010, 01:19 PM
1. Chris Paul
2. Deron Williams
3. Steve Nash
4. Rajon Rondo
5. Tony Parker
6. Chauncey Billups
7. Derrick Rose
8. Baron Davis
9. Russell Westbrook
10. Devin Harris

And Parker is still the #1 penetrating guard in the NBA. Period.

Galileo
08-19-2010, 01:42 PM
If Tony Parker drops from three to nine for an injury-plagued season, how the fuck is Paul at number one?

According to Charlie Rosen, Paul is not good on defense besides steals.

DeadlyDynasty
08-19-2010, 02:09 PM
In the regular season and/or first 3 quarters:

30. Derek Fisher

In the 4th quarter of a playoff game:

1. Derek Fisher

Drachen
08-19-2010, 03:36 PM

winner winner chicken dinner

Cane
08-19-2010, 03:40 PM
Paul still had that stats for the best PG in the NBA when he did play but I agree that Williams should be higher for health reasons; Tony Parker should also be a spot above Harris. However the rankings are based on what happened last season, potential, and history.

However when Tony Parker played he looked like dog shit compared to his 08-09 season - the dude fell from having the 8th best PER to somewhere in the 80's. The author wrote that Parker didn't deserve his no. 9 spot either if he had based the rankings solely on his last season; plus young PG's have only gotten better as well in Rondo and Rose. Which works for me, Parker was relatively horrible last year due to injuries and never really being in game shape.

ThaBigFundamental21
08-19-2010, 04:01 PM
haters :D

That is one ugly ass chick you got there.

beachwood
08-19-2010, 04:32 PM
Um... how the hell is John Wall on the list?

But I'd say TP is placed right where he belongs in light of the year he just had. Here's hoping he can get back into the top 5 before he bolts for NY next year.

Ignorant Spurs fan
08-19-2010, 04:36 PM
Listen fuckers.

This list is an easy one.
It's a 3 way tie between Parker, Hill, and Bogans at #1:flag::flag::flag::flag:

barbacoataco
08-19-2010, 04:43 PM
I think fans look at stats WAY too much in evaluating PG's. I prefer to look at head to head matchups in the playoffs. To me that is the true test of one's ability. Chris Paul has great stats, but the fact is he has been outplayed by the better point guards when they face off head to head. Also, Billups is a guy who doesn't have the best stats, but he has totally burned some of the "better" PG's when they met up in the playoffs.

You just can't rely that much on stats, especially assists, because they have a lot to do with the type of offense a team runs and the skillset of other players on the team. Some offensive schemes result in fewer assists for the PG, but does that make them a worse player? But because of people like Hollinger, they put way too much emphasis on one PG having a higher assist/pg total.

Personally, I have always thought CP3 was overrated. Sure he has great passing skills, and he score when allowed to push off. But his defense sucks and he is usually outplayed when he faces other elite PG's like Deron or Billups. Also, he has a bad attitude and gives up when things aren't going his way. Why would you ever want a player like that as the top PG over all the other great players at that position?

Agloco
08-19-2010, 04:55 PM
lol @ John Wall at 17 without ever playing an NBA game.

This.

The list is automatically trash with shit like that in it.

Oh, I think John Wall holds a ton of potential, he's a top 5-10 talent, but shouldn't be higher than 25th.

GTFO. :lmao He hasn't set foot on an NBA court. Why the hell should he be on the list at all?

And finally, this should remove any and all doubt as to the validity of the list.

nadroj117
08-19-2010, 05:14 PM
I'm perfectly fine with this ranking. In fact, I'm loving it. Lets get this through Parker's head that he's this low and convince him he doesn't deserve the max.

barbacoataco
08-19-2010, 05:16 PM
I'm perfectly fine with this ranking. In fact, I'm loving it. Lets get this through Parker's head that he's this low and convince him he doesn't deserve the max.

Parker stock will change this year, either for better or worse. If he comes out hot in the first month he will right back in the top 5 discussion. On the other hand, if he struggles then his stock will fall even faster.

Josepatches_
08-23-2010, 04:45 PM
I'm perfectly fine with this ranking.

superbigtime
08-23-2010, 04:59 PM
How many championships does Devin Harris have again?

He's tied with Westbrook.

scottspurs
08-23-2010, 05:34 PM
at least put him in front of Devin Harris are you serious? What a joke. I know I'm bias, but I would definitely say Tony is a top 5 point when healthy.

Williams
Paul
Rose
Parker
Nash

portnoy1
08-23-2010, 05:54 PM
I would rank by how the pg makes his teammates better. 1 paul 2 williams 3 rondo 4 nash 5 billups an then a second list of good pgs that parker would then be top 5 in.