PDA

View Full Version : Bonner or Blair?

Nathan89
08-19-2010, 01:58 AM
I am one of the few on this site that is not against the Bonner signing. As I have said on another thread resigning Bonner makes the Spurs better and his over paid contract is kinda offset by Splitters unexpectedly low contract. There has been way to much Bonner hating of late.

Who is the better big verse the Lakers Bonner or Blair?

I think that Bonner is the better big to play against the Lakers out of the two of them. On offense he can stretch the floor making it difficult for a big to double Duncan on the post. Blair can not provide this same luxury. On defense Bonner has a height advantage over Blair that makes him more useful if he has to guard Pau. Pau has nice touch and he could just shoot right over Blair whenever he wants to. Bonner is also a better fit to guard Odom or Artest than Blair is. Overall I see more benefits coming from Bonner against the Lakers than I see from Blair.

Obstructed_View
08-19-2010, 03:29 AM
I don't quite understand how people think the fact that Bonner's neck is four inches longer than Blair's makes him a better option as a big. Besides, a guy who doesn't make clutch shots doesn't stretch the floor. Bonner's best job against the Lakers last year was as a three. The biggest disadvantage for Blair last year was that he was a rookie. The biggest disadvantage for Blair this year is that he's got Bonner on the same team and Pop believes that "spreading the floor" bullshit as much as many of the fans do.

Juanobili
08-19-2010, 03:31 AM
i don't quite understand how people think the fact that bonner's neck is four inches longer than blair's makes him a better option as a big. Besides, a guy who doesn't make clutch shots doesn't stretch the floor. Bonner's best job against the lakers last year was as a three. The biggest disadvantage for blair last year was that he was a rookie. The biggest disadvantage for blair this year is that he's got bonner on the same team and pop believes that "spreading the floor" bullshit as much as many of the fans do.

+1

DesignatedT
08-19-2010, 03:31 AM
blair

ezau
08-19-2010, 04:06 AM
I would choose Blair over Bonner any day.

rayray2k8
08-19-2010, 04:09 AM
Is this even a question???

eisfeld
08-19-2010, 06:42 AM
Spreading the floor vs. rebounding against two legit big men? Easy decision.

SenorSpur
08-19-2010, 08:40 AM
I don't quite understand how people think the fact that Bonner's neck is four inches longer than Blair's makes him a better option as a big. Besides, a guy who doesn't make clutch shots doesn't stretch the floor. Bonner's best job against the Lakers last year was as a three. The biggest disadvantage for Blair last year was that he was a rookie. The biggest disadvantage for Blair this year is that he's got Bonner on the same team and Pop believes that "spreading the floor" bullshit as much as many of the fans do.

+2 x 1,000,000

timtonymanu
08-19-2010, 09:06 AM
Blair any time. Any day.

Bonner is a proven playoff choker. Yet he got rewarded with a better contract. If we were winning titles in the regular season, then give me Matt. Unfortunately, that's not the case. Blair's rebounding is more valuable than Bonner "stretching the floor."

cheguevara
08-19-2010, 09:28 AM
Blair/Splitter/McDyess/Mahinmi >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Boned

Interrohater
08-19-2010, 09:48 AM
While I'm in that small group of I-don't-actually-hate-Bonner-and-I'm-okay-that-the-Spurs-kept-him people, I just couldn't choose him over Blair. Not only does Dejuan rebound like crazy and score inside the paint, but he's somewhat of a bully. Him being a rookie more than likely played with his confidence at times, which means that he should be even better this year. He also brings crazy energy to the game with his high motor and hustle, all the while screaming and pounding his chest like the proverbial 800 lb gorilla. He's one of those players that you won't be able to stop, like Manu. The opposition will throw whatever they can at them, but they won't, nay, CAN'T be stopped.

Anyway, I choose Blair.

thOOdee
08-19-2010, 12:38 PM
lol funny thread

gospursgojas
08-19-2010, 12:39 PM
Is this even a question???

beachwood
08-19-2010, 12:56 PM
Hmm... a "big" who can't rebound, play defense, has no athleticism, chokes in big games... let's sign this mofo long term.

JR3
08-19-2010, 01:01 PM
Blair over Bonner. Blair does the intangibles... We need rebounding against the lakers.. they don't miss much but if we give them second and third shots at it, we have no chance.. Spreading the floor comes second to rebounding.. everyone knows that.

DeadlyDynasty
08-19-2010, 01:01 PM
I am one of the few on this site that is not against the Bonner signing. As I have said on another thread resigning Bonner makes the Spurs better and his over paid contract is kinda offset by Splitters unexpectedly low contract. There has been way to much Bonner hating of late.

Who is the better big verse the Lakers Bonner or Blair?

I think that Bonner is the better big to play against the Lakers out of the two of them. On offense he can stretch the floor making it difficult for a big to double Duncan on the post. Blair can not provide this same luxury. On defense Bonner has a height advantage over Blair that makes him more useful if he has to guard Pau. Pau has nice touch and he could just shoot right over Blair whenever he wants to. Bonner is also a better fit to guard Odom or Artest than Blair is. Overall I see more benefits coming from Bonner against the Lakers than I see from Blair.

I hope you have the ear of Popovich:toast

ohmwrecker
08-19-2010, 01:12 PM
Let's talk about this the next time Bonner puts up a 20/20.

PDXSpursFan
08-19-2010, 01:22 PM
The question is: how can Bonner stretch the floor during the playoffs if he only shoots 0.235 from the 3-pt line???

Interrohater
08-19-2010, 01:29 PM

/thread

Hooks
08-19-2010, 01:40 PM
Blair easily, he brings rebounding and energy. Pau can shoot over Blair but Blair's defense on him isn't THAT bad, Blair does a good job of denying him the ball. Bonner on the other hand can't do ANYTHING at all, players know they can score on him, it's like their confidence goes up when he's guarding them.

Bonner also just can't make any 3's when it counts,

Example of Blair denying the ball:

BCDF5hK-PIk

Bonner is alright when guarding guys his size, he did a pretty good job on David West last year.

I don't think Blair would be playing with Gasol on the floor either, that's Splitter's job.

When Blair is on fire it's almost impossible to stop him, he was scoring all over the Celts last year (KG and Sheed couldn't stop him), the Thunder, Rockets, the Nuggets, the Mavs towards the end of the season etc.

I remember last year when the Spurs were playing against the Nuggets Blair was tearing it up. Blair was taking it to Chris Andersen (the white dude that has crazy hops), he just couldn't stop him. But of course within just a few minutes Pop just had to bring that pussy Bonner in, Bonner went on to suck it up as usual.

Galileo
08-19-2010, 01:42 PM
I expect both to improve this season.

Duncan2177
08-19-2010, 01:55 PM
Bonner sucks

http://www.pe.com/imagesdaily/2007/12-14/lakers14csf_400.jpg

Nathan89
08-19-2010, 02:11 PM
Blair easily, he brings rebounding and energy. Pau can shoot over Blair but Blair's defense on him isn't THAT bad, Blair does a good job of denying him the ball. Bonner on the other hand can't do ANYTHING at all, players know they can score on him, it's like their confidence goes up when he's guarding them.

Bonner also just can't make any 3's when it counts,

Example of Blair denying the ball:

BCDF5hK-PIk

Bonner is alright when guarding guys his size, he did a pretty good job on David West last year.

I don't think Blair would be playing with Gasol on the floor either, that's Splitter's job.

When Blair is on fire it's almost impossible to stop him, he was scoring all over the Celts last year (KG and Sheed couldn't stop him), the Thunder, Rockets, the Nuggets, the Mavs towards the end of the season etc.

I remember last year when the Spurs were playing against the Nuggets Blair was tearing it up. Blair was taking it to Chris Andersen (the white dude that has crazy hops), he just couldn't stop him. But of course within just a few minutes Pop just had to bring that pussy Bonner in, Bonner went on to suck it up as usual.

That video showed exactly what will happen to Blair if he is guarding Pau. Pau will be able to get into position consistently and from there he can just shoot over Blair.

Bonner was partly responsible for that first play of Blair denying the ball from Pau. Bonner was suffocating Artest so he couldn't make a pass and the shot clock was running down.

I think Bonner's height makes him a better defender on Pau as well. Pau can make those shots over Blair all of the time. He will get into good position to do this.

Pau plays 37 minutes per game so I guess we will not see much of Blair.

The thread says best big against the Lakers.

Galileo
08-19-2010, 02:24 PM
Bonner sucks

http://www.pe.com/imagesdaily/2007/12-14/lakers14csf_400.jpg

Bonner is a taller version of Larry Bird. A big tall quick white guy who can nail the three.

Duncan2177
08-19-2010, 03:04 PM
Bonner is a taller version of Larry Bird. A big tall quick white guy who can nail the three.

Yea but he sure dont play like larry Bird especially in the playoffs.

AlleyOopNazi
08-19-2010, 03:05 PM
Blair unless hes getting prison raped by the refs, I mean in foul trouble...
:flipoff

ohmwrecker
08-19-2010, 03:06 PM

Well . . . he is white . . .

yavozerb
08-19-2010, 03:21 PM
They both sucked against the lakers so who cares...Neither can play defense against the laker bigs.

DeadlyDynasty
08-19-2010, 03:23 PM
They both sucked against the lakers so who cares...Neither can play defense against the laker bigs.

I think if given the time to play, Blair can become a better version of Kendrick Perkins. Undersized center, but solid post defender w/ a better offensive game than Perk...imo

Nathan89
08-19-2010, 03:26 PM
I think if given the time to play, Blair can become a better version of Kendrick Perkins. Undersized center, but solid post defender w/ a better offensive game than Perk...imo

Perkins: 6-10 280
Blair: 6-6 265

Dex
08-19-2010, 03:50 PM
Now for today's next stirring debate: cow dung or ice cream?

Interrohater
08-19-2010, 03:50 PM
Perkins: 6-10 280
Blair: 6-6 265

I don't see how you've made a post lamenting the Bonner-hate on this board but now you're hating on Blair. Bonner is a good player, but we saw how he performed in a starting role. Blair actually has the potential to be a starter in this league, and played well in his rookie season. I think if you have to compare a first year player with a fifth year player, you pretty much have your answer. Matt Bonner has probably almost hit his ceiling while Blair still has a ways to go. Either way, you don't have to hate one to like the other.

DeadlyDynasty
08-19-2010, 04:19 PM
Blair is only 6-6? shiiiiiiiit my bad then...still, I'd rather have him as a defender. Bonner is invisible on defense

NRHector
08-19-2010, 04:27 PM
Bonner is a taller version of Larry Bird. A big tall quick white guy who can nail the three in the regular season.

fify

rmt
08-19-2010, 04:40 PM
Unfortunately, with the long-term re-signing of Bonner, precious playing time for Blair will go to the red-headed playoff choker. Blair is everything Bonner isn't - tough, physical, gritty. If Spurs need a 3 in the playoffs, give me Duncan or even Parker before Bonner (because I know he'll miss it).

Obstructed_View
08-19-2010, 04:57 PM
Blair is only 6-6? shiiiiiiiit my bad then...still, I'd rather have him as a defender. Bonner is invisible on defense

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/DeJuan-Blair-5049/

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Matt-Bonner-1726/

Blair's standing reach is an inch more than Bonner's. Again, listed height has nothing to do with anything.

Agloco
08-19-2010, 05:12 PM

http://punditkitchen.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/political-pictures-trainwreck-snickers.jpg

yavozerb
08-19-2010, 05:13 PM

Blair's standing reach is an inch more than Bonner's. Again, listed height has nothing to do with anything.

:lol, if you say so...I will take a 7 footer with 7'2 reach over a 6'6 player with 7'2 reach with the same skillset anyday..

yavozerb
08-19-2010, 05:16 PM

Lets talk about this next time Blair can make 4-6 3pt shots in a game....They are completely different players so how can compare the two. Bonner can score the basketball but we all know rebounding is blairs game.

DPG21920
08-19-2010, 05:27 PM
Lets talk about this next time Blair can make 4-6 3pt shots in a game....They are completely different players so how can compare the two. Bonner can score the basketball but we all know rebounding is blairs game.

Blair Playoffs: 55% FG, 54% FT, 7.8 PTS, 6.4 REBS, .8 AST, .6 STLS, .5 BLKS, 18.2 MPG

Bonner Playoffs: 43% FG, 1.000% FT, 5 PTS, 3.2 REBS, .4 AST, .1 STLS, .3 BLKS, 17.3 MPG

Bonner is also a career 31% 3PT shooter in the playoffs, so there are not a lot of those 4-6 nights in there.

elemento
08-19-2010, 05:51 PM
I really don't hate Bonner but those Bonner lovers are fucking annoying.

2 reasons people hate about Bonner resigning:

1st - He will get minutes from Blair and Splitter.
2nd - Even thought he is a good 3PT shooter, he can't fucking deliver in a playoff game.

A choker doesn't fit in the Spurs. We are one of the best organizations in the NBA and if the guy can't deliver in the playoffs, he should not play here. END OF STORY

yavozerb
08-19-2010, 06:09 PM
Blair Playoffs: 55% FG, 54% FT, 7.8 PTS, 6.4 REBS, .8 AST, .6 STLS, .5 BLKS, 18.2 MPG

Bonner Playoffs: 43% FG, 1.000% FT, 5 PTS, 3.2 REBS, .4 AST, .1 STLS, .3 BLKS, 17.3 MPG

Bonner is also a career 31% 3PT shooter in the playoffs, so there are not a lot of those 4-6 nights in there.

Where the hell did you get blair playoff numbers? :nope
blair playoffs: 50% fg, 55% ft, 3.7pts, 3.9 rebs, 9 mpg
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/dejuan_blair/index.html

Good try though...

DPG21920
08-19-2010, 06:11 PM
I got his regular season numbers when I copied, not the playoffs. Does not change the fact Bonner is a playoff choker.

Obstructed_View
08-19-2010, 06:32 PM
:lol, if you say so...I will take a 7 footer with 7'2 reach over a 6'6 player with 7'2 reach with the same skillset anyday..

And you win the award for longest reach with the above post, since they don't have the same skillset, don't have the same reach, and Bonner's 6'10". :lol

rmt
08-19-2010, 07:01 PM
Where the hell did you get blair playoff numbers? :nope
blair playoffs: 50% fg, 55% ft, 3.7pts, 3.9 rebs, 9 mpg
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/dejuan_blair/index.html

Good try though...
Blair Playoffs: 50% FG, 55.6% FT, 3.7 PTS, 3.9 REBS, .5 AST, .5 STLS, .4 BLKS, 9.1 MPG

So in half of the number of playoff minutes that Bonner gets, Blair gets more rebounds, more assists, more steals, more blocks and 1.3 points less per game. Well, that just got me more upset! We won't even mention the most important thing - valuable playoff experience that went to the choker instead of Blair.

slick'81
08-19-2010, 08:02 PM
lol@ bonner over blair

yavozerb
08-19-2010, 08:15 PM
And you win the award for longest reach with the above post, since they don't have the same skillset, don't have the same reach, and Bonner's 6'10". :lol

What are you talking about? Please show me where I have stated I would take Bonner over Blair? Your statement of "Height measurements are useless" is pretty lame. Right now, Noah vs. Blair (both players with 7'2 reach), who would you take right now?

Obstructed_View
08-19-2010, 08:19 PM
What are you talking about? Please show me where I have stated I would take Bonner over Blair? Your statement of "Height measurements are useless" is pretty lame. Right now, Noah vs. Blair (both players with 7'2 reach), who would you take right now?

Time for you to check the thread title, genius. If you weren't talking about Bonner or Blair, then why the fuck did you bother posting? And Noah and Blair don't have the same experience or the same skillset. Stated again: two guys with identical standing reach and identical skills are exactly the same, even if one is six inches taller.

yavozerb
08-19-2010, 08:20 PM
I got his regular season numbers when I copied, not the playoffs. Does not change the fact Bonner is a playoff choker.

Look, I like blair, but to say he clearly outplayed Bonner is pretty funny. I watched every game from the 2009/2010 playoffs and Blair was far from being a big inside presence.

DPG21920
08-19-2010, 08:26 PM
Link to where I said Blair was some big inside presence? Blair was a rookie and got sporadic minutes. He still out produced Bonner per minute.

He is clearly better than Bonner all around.

Bonner has a history of being a playoff choker and his only asset (3 PT shooting) disappears in the playoffs. That is what this question is about and making your points about Bonner is just a passive way of choosing Bonner in this scenario it appears.

yavozerb
08-19-2010, 08:27 PM

My bad, I thought you were referring to any players measurements, not just bonners or blair's. Look I think we can all agree at this point what each player brings to the team. Kind of stupid comparing the two, when Blair only plays inside and Bonner only plays outside.

DPG21920
08-19-2010, 08:30 PM
I think the point is not to necessarily compare their skill sets. Blair has a lot more talent than Bonner. His rebounding, energy and ability to pass and finish inside despite his size are much better than what Bonner has to offer all around.

Blair has the potential to be an excellent player and a true impact player. Bonner does not.

yavozerb
08-19-2010, 08:36 PM
I think the point is not to necessarily compare their skill sets. Blair has a lot more talent than Bonner. His rebounding, energy and ability to pass and finish inside despite his size are much better than what Bonner has to offer all around.

Blair has the potential to be an excellent player and a true impact player. Bonner does not.

No doubt that Blair has more upside, but this conversation should be about who has played the best with TD. Lets face it, all rotations at the 4 or 5 start with TD, and the main reason Bonner is on the team is spread the floor for TD. Blair and TD simply clog the middle down low and thus very little minutes for blair. Even when Bonner plays with Blair, Bonner is helping by drawing out another big for Blairs cuts to the basket. Bonner does things for this team which helps other players with there game

Blackjack
08-19-2010, 08:38 PM
:smchode:

DeadlyDynasty
08-19-2010, 08:39 PM
Why do people STILL defend Bonner? As a Laker fan I love the fact that Bonner will take minutes away from Blair

TD 21
08-19-2010, 08:53 PM
It's going to be tough enough to beat them in a series, but doing so without an extremely productive per minute player and in his stead going with a player who's one dimensional and has proven that the playoffs are too big a stage for him, would only make the task that much more difficult.

If Bonner were a significantly better fit in this matchup, then I'd say go with fit over talent. But he's just as ill-suited to playing against the Lakers as Blair is and he's not nearly as talented, so it's a no brainer to go with Blair.

Even if Blair struggles to finish inside against their length and has trouble defensively, he has a much better chance of helping with rebounding, which is huge against the Lakers. He's also a guy who provides energy, unlike Bonner.

Pop needs to use the regular season games to experiment and attempt to find a suitable matchup for Blair against the Lakers. It might take some getting creative and being unconventional, such as: When Odom is in at PF, the Spurs could cross match defensively and put Jefferson on Odom and Blair on Artest.

Realistically, even if Blair starts in the regular season, it's probably unlikely he'll maintain that position in a playoff series against the Lakers (should it occur). McDyess will likely be starting, Splitter will likely be the first big off the bench and one of Blair or Bonner will be the fourth big. Even if it's not the Lakers, I think there's a good chance that eventually this becomes the rotation once the playoff rotation is set. So we're probably not talking about that significant a role.

benefactor
08-19-2010, 08:55 PM
Why do people STILL defend Bonner? As a Laker fan I love the fact that Bonner will take minutes away from Blair
For the same reason they defend RJ....

They have brain damage.

DPG21920
08-19-2010, 09:19 PM
No doubt that Blair has more upside, but this conversation should be about who has played the best with TD. Lets face it, all rotations at the 4 or 5 start with TD, and the main reason Bonner is on the team is spread the floor for TD. Blair and TD simply clog the middle down low and thus very little minutes for blair. Even when Bonner plays with Blair, Bonner is helping by drawing out another big for Blairs cuts to the basket. Bonner does things for this team which helps other players with there game

Well all that really matters for a team like the Spurs is the playoffs. Bonner does not spread the floor in the playoffs. Teams purposely sag off of him and let him shoot. He misses all the time.

So while the spacing thing in theory is good, it does not work with Bonner in the playoffs and the team ends up playing 4 on 5. I would rather have what Blair does in there, because what he does works most of the time. So the Spurs are getting some really strong areas (given, they are weak in others with a Blair/Tim pairing).

Point is, the Spurs are weak every where with Bonner and he needs 0 minutes in the playoffs. It should be Dice/Tim or hopefully Tiago/Tim and Blair with the other guy. Sometimes spacing can't be the most important thing, especially if you are able to amp up the rebounding and defense by pairing someone else w/ Tim besides Bonner.

Just like the Rasho/Oberto/Nazr pairings.

ElNono
08-19-2010, 09:21 PM
Blair put up double figure rebounds and points against Boston last season... A team with a big rotation of Garnett/Perkins/Wallace... Not the Lakers, but tough and tall big men too...

Game 1 - Boston 90 vs Spurs 83
Blair: 21min, 18 points, 11 rebounds
Bonner: 21min, 2 points, 9 rebounds

Game 2 - Spurs 94 vs Boston 73
Blair: 21min, 7 points, 11 rebounds
Bonner: 24min, 5 points, 3 rebounds

ElNono
08-19-2010, 09:26 PM
BTW... plus/minus for that Game 2 against Boston was Bonner +19 and Blair +10... Duncan scored a measly 8 points in that game... We won thanks to Manu and his 28 and RJ/Hill with 16/15 points respectively...

I guess if you're into winning the regular season plus/minus LOB, Matt is your guy :jack

superbigtime
08-19-2010, 09:31 PM
Bonner sucks. I was so relieved when his contract was up, only to be in disbelief to see him signed for four more fucking years. This guy is such a choker. I like Blair and he plays larger than his size, but he's no big. Neither of them is. I am concerned how undersized the spurs are compared to the lakers, heat, celtics, even the rockets and mavs. Fucking small ball. Thanks Pop you Fuck. Old Tim, old Dice, room Splitter. That's our bigs. That's it. Fuck.

Obstructed_View
08-19-2010, 09:44 PM
My bad, I thought you were referring to any players measurements, not just bonners or blair's. Look I think we can all agree at this point what each player brings to the team. Kind of stupid comparing the two, when Blair only plays inside and Bonner only plays outside.

I agree with you there. If they were used the way logic says they're supposed to be used, then we wouldn't be comparing them at all. If Bonner were used as a three point shooting role player when the matchups favor it, he'd never get minutes from Blair, who should be the first or second big off the bench on any given night. Unfortunately, history tells us the reality suggests Bonner being force fed minutes, and it's likely Blair's the one whose minutes he's going to get.

rmt
08-19-2010, 10:11 PM
Bonner sucks. I was so relieved when his contract was up, only to be in disbelief to see him signed for four more fucking years. This guy is such a choker. I like Blair and he plays larger than his size, but he's no big. Neither of them is. I am concerned how undersized the spurs are compared to the lakers, heat, celtics, even the rockets and mavs. Fucking small ball. Thanks Pop you Fuck. Old Tim, old Dice, room Splitter. That's our bigs. That's it. Fuck.
I don't what wrong with Popovich. Ever since the 06 loss to the Mavs, it's like he wants to turn the Spurs into some finesse team like the Suns.

I don't care how many young, athletic teams run past them in the regular season. In the playoffs, everything slows down. Look at Boston - they are even older and slower than the Spurs, but they had a great playoff run. KG, Perkins, Big Baby, J. O'Neal and Shaq - size, length, toughness. Who cares that none of them can hit a 3 pointer to save their lives. Only Ray Allen and maybe Pierce can hit 3 pointers.

I don't know if the re-signing of Bonner and RJ are just token gestures to show that they're making an effort to compete because I just can't see how this helps them get closer to a championship. And 4 years contracts :bang

falconqb1234
08-19-2010, 10:17 PM
blair has so much more hustle than boner. boner just shoots little floaters through the lane that he cant make and he cant play d. blair is a beast.

DPG21920
08-19-2010, 10:41 PM
I don't fault Bonner's hustle and effort. He gives his all and is actually a decent defender in certain situations. He is useful when his shot is on. He is just not that good and other guys just seem so confident against him that they score even when he plays good defense. But I don't knock his hustle.

Nathan89
08-20-2010, 12:14 AM

If he was 6-10 he would had been a top three draft pick. We would crush the lakers with a 6-10 blair. Unfortunately we only have a 6-6 blair.

Nathan89
08-20-2010, 12:50 AM
DPG21920 is the only one with a positive comment about Bonner's effort. Other than that I keep read about Blair's energy and effort on the court, as if Bonner's doesn't bring those same things to the table.

On offense Blair is going to struggle to score against the Lakers bigs. While doing this he is going to clog the paint, making it more difficult for Timmy to post-up and for manu to drive into the paint. Manu is already going to be guarded by a good defender in Kobe or Artest so he doesn't need any extra bodies clogging the paint. If the line-up had Tim/Blair/RJ the Lakers biggest players can just set up camp in the paint. No room for Parker and Manu to do what they do best.

On offense Bonner is going to spread the court against the Lakers. This will allow more room for all the other players on the spurs to maximize what they do best. No one on here has faith in Bonner's shot but his potential will at least create more room for the others to operate. His three ball is a esential part of the spurs now that we have rj. I have read many comments about other successful teams not having a big that can shoot the three but we need it because we almost always have to non-shooters in Rj and Parker on the court. Bonner has also improved his offensive skill implementing the running hook shot last year. Hopefully his confidence with new contract and hardwork will translate to a more effective Bonner on the court.

On defense Blair willl strugle against the Laker bigs because he is significantly shorter than them. Or in the case of Odom he is shorter and slower. Pau and Bynum can easily shoot over Blair. Many players in the league can do this but these guys actually have good touch around the basket. He can try to front the Lakers big but that is not going to work often enough. I don't think Blair can guard any of the Laker bigs.

Bonner will also struggle on defense against the Lakers but he will be more effective than Blair. He can potentially guard Odom or Artest on the court as well which is a bonus because Odom plays a lot of pf minutes. Although Bonner and Blair have the same standing reach I think that Bonner still has a advantage in guarding Pau. When Pau turn around to put up a shot on Blair he is looking over his head but against Bonner he is looking at his forehead. Significant difference in my opinion.

Blair will out rebound Bonner. Even this is going to be very difficult for Blair.

I think Bonner is clearly the better fit against the Lakers when you look at the players the Spurs have vs. the players the Lakers have. I am not a Bonner lover either. I do not really even like him but as I said I like him more than Blair against the Lakers.

rmt
08-20-2010, 03:39 AM
DPG21920 is the only one with a positive comment about Bonner's effort. Other than that I keep read about Blair's energy and effort on the court, as if Bonner's doesn't bring those same things to the table.

On offense Blair is going to struggle to score against the Lakers bigs. While doing this he is going to clog the paint, making it more difficult for Timmy to post-up and for manu to drive into the paint. Manu is already going to be guarded by a good defender in Kobe or Artest so he doesn't need any extra bodies clogging the paint. If the line-up had Tim/Blair/RJ the Lakers biggest players can just set up camp in the paint. No room for Parker and Manu to do what they do best.

On offense Bonner is going to spread the court against the Lakers. This will allow more room for all the other players on the spurs to maximize what they do best. No one on here has faith in Bonner's shot but his potential will at least create more room for the others to operate. His three ball is a esential part of the spurs now that we have rj. I have read many comments about other successful teams not having a big that can shoot the three but we need it because we almost always have to non-shooters in Rj and Parker on the court. Bonner has also improved his offensive skill implementing the running hook shot last year. Hopefully his confidence with new contract and hardwork will translate to a more effective Bonner on the court.

On defense Blair willl strugle against the Laker bigs because he is significantly shorter than them. Or in the case of Odom he is shorter and slower. Pau and Bynum can easily shoot over Blair. Many players in the league can do this but these guys actually have good touch around the basket. He can try to front the Lakers big but that is not going to work often enough. I don't think Blair can guard any of the Laker bigs.

Bonner will also struggle on defense against the Lakers but he will be more effective than Blair. He can potentially guard Odom or Artest on the court as well which is a bonus because Odom plays a lot of pf minutes. Although Bonner and Blair have the same standing reach I think that Bonner still has a advantage in guarding Pau. When Pau turn around to put up a shot on Blair he is looking over his head but against Bonner he is looking at his forehead. Significant difference in my opinion.

Blair will out rebound Bonner. Even this is going to be very difficult for Blair.

I think Bonner is clearly the better fit against the Lakers when you look at the players the Spurs have vs. the players the Lakers have. I am not a Bonner lover either. I do not really even like him but as I said I like him more than Blair against the Lakers.
Why do you think Laker fans are happy to see Bonner play instead of Blair? Why do you think Rasheed said, "Throw the ball to whoever Bonner is guarding?" Why do you think Barkley refers to Bonner as the "limo guy"? He's the type of player that Mark Cuban will send his limo for to make sure that he gets to the game. That's how opponents view him - they want him on the floor.

Blair (rookie), in half Bonner's time, had more rebounds, assists, steals, blocks and 1.3 points less than Bonner (6 year pro). Bonner's not going to get any better unlike Blair who still has to learn how to be an effective NBA player and the Spurs system. If Blair had been given the minutes Bonner got in addition to the ones he got, he'd have 3 times the playoff experience he has now. Why not give him a chance and see what he's got? We already know that Bonner chokes in the playoffs - we've had him for 4 years. Why keep doing the same thing and expect different results?

Interrohater
08-20-2010, 04:37 AM
My first question is this, OP: Why did you start a thread asking for opinions if you've already made your mind up and are not going to heed the counsel of others?

Second question: Why are all of your theories based on conjecture?

Blair hasn't struggled to score against anyone because he lives in the paint, grabs offensive rebounds and puts them back up quickly. He's effective against short players, tall players, skinny players, all players. Again, like Manu. Would you ever say to take Manu out of the game? No, even if there's a mismatch, you want what he brings to the table; the creativity, the instincts, the desire, the aggression.

In Bonner's case, you talk about him "stretching the floor" but, like many have already stated, it's untrue. The reason that Bonner is so wide open in the regular season is because his defender sags waaaay off of him. How good is he at stretching the floor if his defender doesn't even follow? I also believe that Bonner has become a much better player over these last two years and that he could be even better this year. However, your argument that he has all the things that Blair has is absolutely false. When you see Blair do something incredible, which is not that unusual, you see the team get hyped up, jumping off of their chairs and hollerin'. When Bonner does something outstanding, which is rare, his teammates clap and say 'good job'. Blair's mojo is infectious, while Bonner just doesn't have it.

Either way, they will both play against the Lakers.

angelbelow
08-20-2010, 06:47 AM
Fun read guys.

Cane
08-20-2010, 07:35 AM
Bonner's the only Spur that defended Ron Artest well --- strong SF's like Artest were and still are a huge match up problem for the Spurs. Watch the LA games earlier in the season and you saw Ron Artest abuse the Spurs on the glass and getting easy points near the rim, when Pop put Bonner on him his size neutered Artest's advantages and Ron doesn't have the speed to make the Spurs pay for putting the red rocket on him. Other than that, Bonner's got a 3 point shot and knows the system. I hated him and the Spurs FO during his time as a starter but coming off the bench its not as bad, FWIW he also made improvements last year and has that running hook shot no one expects - up until he broke his hand he was having a pretty good season but his shooting touch came back for the Suns series where he shot over 45% (37% overall in the playoffs) and for the reg season shot 39% from downtown.

Blair should improve next season as long as he develops a jumpshot and works on his post defense, especially at denying the ball. However both Blair and Bonner seem like they should continue to struggle against LA's 4/5's since they're both undersized and aren't exactly elite defenders. Hopefully Blair can do what Big Baby did to the Lakers in Game 4 of the Finals in the next season, only realistic way I can see the undersized and less talented Blair and Bonner match up against Gasol is through crazy hustle.

z4JoEHadCGU

carib
08-20-2010, 09:39 AM
Yea but he sure dont play like larry Bird especially in the playoffs.

NO NO NO bonner and Bird should not ever be used together to judge against nothing, Bird shit smell’s better than bonner out the shower.

DPG21920
08-20-2010, 11:15 AM
Nathan, the problem with what you posted is that it is theory, not real (at least in the po's). Bonner does not shoot well in the playoffs and he is not spreading the floor. People sag off of him and the spacing issues become the same.

So if that is the case, then you need things you can count on like rebounding and such.

Nathan89
08-20-2010, 03:41 PM
My first question is this, OP: Why did you start a thread asking for opinions if you've already made your mind up and are not going to heed the counsel of others?

Second question: Why are all of your theories based on conjecture?

Blair hasn't struggled to score against anyone because he lives in the paint, grabs offensive rebounds and puts them back up quickly. He's effective against short players, tall players, skinny players, all players. Again, like Manu. Would you ever say to take Manu out of the game? No, even if there's a mismatch, you want what he brings to the table; the creativity, the instincts, the desire, the aggression.

In Bonner's case, you talk about him "stretching the floor" but, like many have already stated, it's untrue. The reason that Bonner is so wide open in the regular season is because his defender sags waaaay off of him. How good is he at stretching the floor if his defender doesn't even follow? I also believe that Bonner has become a much better player over these last two years and that he could be even better this year. However, your argument that he has all the things that Blair has is absolutely false. When you see Blair do something incredible, which is not that unusual, you see the team get hyped up, jumping off of their chairs and hollerin'. When Bonner does something outstanding, which is rare, his teammates clap and say 'good job'. Blair's mojo is infectious, while Bonner just doesn't have it.

Either way, they will both play against the Lakers.

I started this thread to get the opinions of all forum members. To see if you guys agreed or disagreed with me. I thought the majority of you guys would disagree, so I wanted to try an convince you to believe what I believe. At the same time I am always open minded and all of you have the opportunity to convince me.

I am pretty sure this is not true.

Manu is the best option so this is different. He is one of the best sg in the game if there is a mismatch then we are fuc*ed.

He shot 39% from three last year and 44% the year before. If the opposing team doesn't respect his shot he will get a wide open look.

I don't believe I ever made this argument.

Of course they will both play but bonner will play more.

Nathan89
08-20-2010, 03:50 PM
Nathan, the problem with what you posted is that it is theory, not real (at least in the po's). Bonner does not shoot well in the playoffs and he is not spreading the floor. People sag off of him and the spacing issues become the same.

So if that is the case, then you need things you can count on like rebounding and such.

Not theory, but potential. Bonner has not played well in the playoff and that is the argument that could be made against Bonner. All he has to do is bring his reg. season play to the playoffs. Now that he has a new contract his mind should be a ease. Even when people sag off of bonner the spacing is not the same and they still always have to keep a eye on him. Blair's man will be in the paint all of the time not bonners.

Message not to you:

Blair's jumpshot will not be much better this year. I hope I am wrong about this but he doesn't look like a guy who going to be shooting the ball.

DPG21920
08-20-2010, 04:05 PM
It is hard to expect a guy like Bonner, who is at the tail end of his career, to magically improve in the playoffs. What he brings (3 PT shooting) is more inconsistent than what Blair brings (rebounding, toughness and over all ability).

The spacing does get messed up when Bonner is missing because people dare him to shoot. The defense forces the ball to him. They might keep an eye on him, but they are keeping a hand on everyone else.

I wish Bonner would carry over his regular season shooting to the playoffs because it would be a huge asset. But he has not to date and it is hard to believe at this point that he will.

IMO, in the playoffs you need things you can count on. Rebounding is a huge deal and is strongly correlated with winning games. IMO, it is the single most important individual box score stat (although you can't pin point any one thing in a basketball game as the "reason" why a team wins or loses usually). If that is the case, you go with what you know.

Hopefully, Blair can make a leap much like Hill did. He has the talent. Bonner does not. Even if he doesn't, the playoffs should hopefully be a lot of Tim/Dice/Tiago to carry the major load.

Nathan89
08-20-2010, 04:07 PM
I will bump this thread before the first Lakers game. He might make me look like a idiot though. I never liked bonner but now I will root like crazy for him. He better not make me look like an idiot. Unfortunately he could have an amazing performance but most of you would say it's not the playoffs yet.

Nathan89
08-20-2010, 04:12 PM
Bonner is 30 not 35 so I wouldn't consider this as the tail end of his career. Perhaps Bonner will play better now than ever before with his new four year contract. Psychologically he was probably always fearful of not lasting in the nba. If this was the case it would have negatively impacted his game causeing more mistakes.

Dex
08-20-2010, 04:13 PM
I will bump this thread before the first Lakers game. He might make me look like a idiot though. I never liked bonner but now I will root like crazy for him. He better not make me look like an idiot. Unfortunately he could have an amazing performance but most of you would say it's not the playoffs yet.

That's the point. Bonner could go off for 50 against the Lakers, but if it's not a playoff game, then it won't matter anyways. Most people will agree that Bonner is a decent rotational player for the regular season; you just can't count on him when it matters most.

I'd rather see a solid 14 and 8 out of Bonner against the Lakers in the playoffs then see him go for 50 and 25 during the year.

ElNono
08-20-2010, 04:16 PM
Not theory, but potential. Bonner has not played well in the playoff and that is the argument that could be made against Bonner. All he has to do is bring his reg. season play to the playoffs.

It's not just the only argument. His 40% regular season 3 point shooting is nice and all, but he's a career regular-season 7 points / 3.5 rebound guy.

I understand the 7 points considering Tony/Manu/Tim are in there with him, but the 3.5 rebounds a game in nearly 20 mins is among the worst in the league (he ranked 81 out of 101 PFs in RP48 last season).

And the problem is that if his past few seasons are any indication, his absolute ceiling is about 5 RPG. Blair already averaged 6.4 in his rookie season.

DPG21920
08-20-2010, 04:17 PM
I meant the tail end of his career from an improvement standpoint or upside.

Nathan89
08-20-2010, 04:51 PM
qtHpKzheDyI

I know this is the regular season but check out the spacing.

:29-He is sagging off him but it is definitely more space. He has his attention.

:46-Bonner left that side wide open.

:50-Dirk focused on Bonner.

1:21-More space.
2:32-Bonner's man ready to run out and put up a hand instead of protecting the basket.

2:54-Improving Bonner.

3:06-Nice lane for timmy.

3:13-3:30-Offensive display.

3:33-Scola refuses to help guard timmy.

Nathan89
08-20-2010, 04:53 PM
I meant the tail end of his career from an improvement standpoint or upside.

Bonner is definitely still improving. Sky hook. He is becoming more comfortable dribbling the ball when the defender comes flying at him.

Nathan89
08-20-2010, 04:54 PM
It's not just the only argument. His 40% regular season 3 point shooting is nice and all, but he's a career regular-season 7 points / 3.5 rebound guy.

I understand the 7 points considering Tony/Manu/Tim are in there with him, but the 3.5 rebounds a game in nearly 20 mins is among the worst in the league (he ranked 81 out of 101 PFs in RP48 last season).

And the problem is that if his past few seasons are any indication, his absolute ceiling is about 5 RPG. Blair already averaged 6.4 in his rookie season.

He helps others get their numbers easier. Does that not mean anything.

DPG21920
08-20-2010, 05:17 PM
We get what you are saying but it does not matter. Because in the PO's it does not happen.

yavozerb
08-20-2010, 05:22 PM
What are you Bonner haters going to do when the Bonner jersey is hanging in the rafters?
For real though, I am ready to be done with these late summer gab sessions and ready to watch some basketball...:flag:

DPG21920
08-20-2010, 05:24 PM
Yes, I am ready for the season already. At least football is starting soon and that will hold me over until the season starts.

ElNono
08-20-2010, 05:43 PM
He helps others get their numbers easier. Does that not mean anything.

I agree. The opposition can't wait for Pop to play him. It's like an automatic red carpet to the hoop.

I just don't think it means what you think it means.

mingus
08-20-2010, 06:41 PM
Bonner is a guy you put in as a last resort if your team needs offense, ideally. if he has some kind of consistent role for your team, your're fucked. he's a 5th big, which is what he'll be with this team now that we have Splitter. our big rotation of Duncan/Splitter/Blair/McDyess is damn deep. we're going into next year overlooked, and i don't know why. we've got a great team, and have filled a lot of holes that needed to be filled.

Obstructed_View
08-20-2010, 08:44 PM

The only thing making you look like an idiot is your posts.

BackHome
08-20-2010, 11:26 PM
Neither Bonner and Blair are to short and would get owned playing against the Flakers bigs.

TJastal
08-21-2010, 05:40 AM
Bonner is definitely still improving. Sky hook. He is becoming more comfortable dribbling the ball when the defender comes flying at him.

:lmao :lmao :lmao

ohmwrecker
08-22-2010, 11:37 AM
Are we calling that little running floater of his a sky hook? That's awesome! I hope that catches on. I really do.

Sky Hook!

EIC
08-23-2010, 01:02 AM
Bonner sucks so much fat cock that the Spurs are flirting with an NC-17 rating. Dude's got one in his mouth and one in each hand like it's his fucking job. The fact that other teams are tickled pink when this guy checks in should tell you all you need to know.

Best thing we can do is take up a collection and pay off some Eduardo Najera enforcer type to take out Bonner's knee. Career ender; make it happen Spurs fans!

:flag:

ElNono
08-23-2010, 08:27 AM
Bonner sucks so much fat cock that the Spurs are flirting with an NC-17 rating. Dude's got one in his mouth and one in each hand like it's his fucking job. The fact that other teams are tickled pink when this guy checks in should tell you all you need to know.

Best thing we can do is take up a collection and pay off some Eduardo Najera enforcer type to take out Bonner's knee. Career ender; make it happen Spurs fans!

:flag:

That's really uncalled for.

EIC
08-23-2010, 09:31 AM
That's really uncalled for.

Which part?

Dex
08-23-2010, 10:44 AM
Which part?

Take your pick.

EIC
08-24-2010, 12:47 AM
Take your pick.

Oh c'mon, guys. Don't take everything so seriously. It's either laugh or cry. Lest there be any confusion, I don't really hope that Bonner suffers a career ending injury. And I don't really believe Bonner is performing insane amounts of fellatio.

But a word of advice for Dex, ElNono, and anyone else who was similarly offended: Do yourself a favor and don't head over to the NBA Forum. You're precious sensibilities wouldn't last a minute over there. :wow

Sisk
08-24-2010, 01:15 AM
Oh c'mon, guys. Don't take everything so seriously. It's either laugh or cry. Lest there be any confusion, I don't really hope that Bonner suffers a career ending injury. And I don't really believe Bonner is performing insane amounts of fellatio.

But a word of advice for Dex, ElNono, and anyone else who was similarly offended: Do yourself a favor and don't head over to the NBA Forum. You're precious sensibilities wouldn't last a minute over there. :wow

They didn't know there was an NBA forum.

ElNono
08-24-2010, 01:16 AM

We try to keep it classy here among Spurs fans. I don't like Matt any more than you do, and I'll probably be cursing at my TV every time he steps on the floor, but your post is bordering 21_Dickings material, almost lakaluva-caliber, IMO.

ElNono
08-24-2010, 01:19 AM
I thought only BUMP and his multiple personality disorder posted on the NBA forum... :lol

Manufan909
08-24-2010, 03:44 PM
qtHpKzheDyI

I know this is the regular season but check out the spacing.

:29-He is sagging off him but it is definitely more space. He has his attention.

:46-Bonner left that side wide open.

:50-Dirk focused on Bonner.

1:21-More space.
2:32-Bonner's man ready to run out and put up a hand instead of protecting the basket.

2:54-Improving Bonner.

3:06-Nice lane for timmy.

3:13-3:30-Offensive display.

3:33-Scola refuses to help guard timmy.

Well that is gonna go down as the shittiest highlight reel ever. There were around 5 open Bonner 3s, but I didn't see one Manu dunk/steal. Why didn't the KG rape/block get a spot, or the nutmeg that gave Blair an open dunk vs OKC!?! Fucking pathetic.:bang

Nathan89
11-18-2010, 12:51 AM
Bump.

Has anything changed?