PDA

View Full Version : james anderson driving in the lane

spectator
08-19-2010, 01:55 PM
have ppl noticed how he mostly drives to the left? i do not have a number in mind, but if it's something over 75%, that may be a cause of concern in the nba, where scouting can immediately point out those deficiencies.

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/player/nba/NBA_Draft_Prospects/20446761;_ylt=AqBttLKCLL0IjzZ6Fb2G3X28vLYF

barbacoataco
08-19-2010, 04:34 PM
In reality he was only able to drive because of his athletic superiority over the opposing team. In the NBA he'll likely need to improve his ball handling to attack. But he should still be a good shooter.

You also have to factor in that Anderson will be coming off the bench and his defender will be the other team's 3-4 string SG/SF. Against that type of competition, I think he will be able to get his shot off. Blair had more success last year with his scoring moves than a lot of people thought he would. Anderson was the Big 12 player of the year and he is a pretty crafty scorer who has a knack for the basket. I'm not being unrealistic, but I do think he has a chance to score some points in the NBA immediately.

AlleyOopNazi
08-19-2010, 04:45 PM
time will tell, he seems skilled enough to drive. my guess is that popp wont put him in too many driving situations. Naturally they will come off of second chance points and low shot clock rushes. Otherwhise I see him as a spot up/screens michael finley type role player, with youth obviously.
On the other hand he could look rusty and inexperienced with his injury and time away from competition. So as I said time will tell.
Hes a rookie, Im not too concerned b/c he has plenty of time to develop. Im really anticipating Splitter/Blair/Neal and their ability to contribute consitantly.

Obstructed_View
08-19-2010, 05:01 PM
The only time you want Anderson driving into the lane is when his defender leaves him alone. He seems perfectly capable of going to the basket without a defender in his pocket. He's going to play the pick and roll well with this team.

AlleyOopNazi
08-19-2010, 05:03 PM
The only time you want Anderson driving into the lane is when his defender leaves him alone. He seems perfectly capable of going to the basket without a defender in his pocket. He's going to play the pick and roll well with this team.
Like he has a choice:lol

Obstructed_View
08-19-2010, 06:27 PM
Like he has a choice:lol

Not sure what you're talking about. Playing well isn't a matter of choice, or everyone would play well.

rogcl1
08-19-2010, 06:43 PM
time will tell, he seems skilled enough to drive. my guess is that popp wont put him in too many driving situations. Naturally they will come off of second chance points and low shot clock rushes. Otherwhise I see him as a spot up/screens michael finley type role player, with youth obviously.
On the other hand he could look rusty and inexperienced with his injury and time away from competition. So as I said time will tell.
Hes a rookie, Im not too concerned b/c he has plenty of time to develop. Im really anticipating Splitter/Blair/Neal and their ability to contribute consitantly.

I don't agree. If he has the ability to drive to the basket he will if the situation calls for it. Finley did not because that was no longer part of his game.

Nathan89
08-19-2010, 07:04 PM
have ppl noticed how he mostly drives to the left? i do not have a number in mind, but if it's something over 75%, that may be a cause of concern in the nba, where scouting can immediately point out those deficiencies.

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/player/nba/NBA_Draft_Prospects/20446761;_ylt=AqBttLKCLL0IjzZ6Fb2G3X28vLYF

That could be a problem. Ginobili goes to the left 99% of the time.

SouthTexasRancher
08-19-2010, 09:46 PM

Uhhhh, breaking news here but, every player in any/every sport from Little League baseball to Pop Warner football to the Pro's gets a scouting report on the oposing team and that teams players. There are very few
Manu's & Nash'sout there that are difficult to scout. Every player, coach and scout in the NBA knows what Timmy is going to do...the trick is stopping him which no one has really been able to do during his career. Same goes for Kobe, Dirk, DWade, Durant, Tony and so on. Pop & Co. will work with JA and all will be fine with the universe. Anderson is going to score a bunch in his career. He will be an offensive Blair. :toast

ducks
08-19-2010, 09:49 PM
manu drives mostly left

Manu-of-steel
08-19-2010, 09:56 PM
That could be a problem. Ginobili goes to the left 99% of the time.

And yet opposing players can't stop him.

Chieflion
08-19-2010, 10:01 PM

His college coach told him to start driving right this past year. I am sure he would be fine. He managed to succeed. He has improved every year in college and I hope the improvement would continue in the NBA.

Man In Black
08-19-2010, 11:15 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/david_dupree/03/18/all.fun.team/

With that in mind, here are my picks for the all-entertainment team -- the five most fun players to watch:

The Spurs' Manu Ginobili heads the list.

He has led, won and excited on every international stage -- Europe, the Olympics and the NBA. Now, the man isn't smooth. He doesn't glide and is all elbows and knees when he goes to the basket, yet he is one of the most difficult players in the league against whom to play. He throws around his body with abandon and is just awkward enough to keep all defenders confused. The fact that he is left-handed, yet uses his right hand almost as often, gives him even more advantages.

Ginobili can get in the lane against any defender, and once there, has a barrelful of moves to get off acrobatic and creative shots in traffic and over bigger defenders. He will flop in a heartbeat, but that doesn't mean he isn't tough. You knock him down, he gets right back up and comes back at you just as hard the next time. (The 6-foot-6, 205-pound guard is just as fearless on defense. He is one of the best in the league at drawing charges and just being annoying and bothersome.) He probably takes as much punishment as any player, yet seldom loses his cool or lets opponents think they got the best of him.

If the NBA had a one-on-one tournament and everyone participated, he'd make the final four, for sure. And it isn't blasphemous to think he could challenge Kobe Bryant or LeBron James for the title.

Sure, he's out of control at times and often drives coach Gregg Popovich crazy, but that's just who and what he is.

http://www.interbasket.net/news/2009/02/20/nba-scouting-report-manu-ginobili-has-no-weaknesses/

The San Antonio Spurs’ Manu Ginóbili is a statistical freak: he has no imbalance whatsoever in his game — there is no one way to play him that is better than another. He is equally efficient both off the dribble and off the pass, going left and right and from any spot on the floor.

Just because you go left, doesn't mean you can't go right. Ginobili goes right a lot but finds a way to get to his left hand...unless he decides to use his right hand.

Sean Cagney
08-19-2010, 11:33 PM
And yet opposing players can't stop him.

I came in to mention just that there, most announcers would say haven't they figured out he goes left most of the time :lol

Hooks
08-19-2010, 11:56 PM
I read that he drove left 86% of the time at OSU lol, you have to respect his jump shot cause he'll knock it down with ease, he can knock it down with a hand in his face as well. He's a VERY good shooter, I'm sure that skill will translate to the NBA. His ball handling has always been poor but I'm sure he'll get much better.

jimo2305
08-20-2010, 12:56 AM
if i can go right or left.. so can james..

then again 86% is pretty high O.o