PDA

View Full Version : Donald Sterling : The worst owner in the history of Sports

PGDynasty24
08-20-2010, 01:59 AM
Racist greedhead Donald Sterling will pay $2.73 million to settle a federal housing bias lawsuit accusing him of all kinds of sleazy and thuggish behavior, none of which matters in David Stern's NBA if you're an owner.

The settlement is said to be the largest of its kind. Dan Wetzel rightly wonders why more people aren't talking about Sterling. Maybe it's because there's just so much to talk about that no one knows where to begin:

• In 2003, 19 tenants and the Housing Rights Center filed a housing discrimination lawsuit against Sterling, one of the biggest landowners in Los Angeles. (That case, too, was settled.) According to depositions given by one of Sterling's property supervisors and obtained by ESPN The Magazine's Peter Keating, Sterling didn't like renting to black people ("they smell"), Mexican-Americans ("just sit around and smoke and drink all day") and people with children ("brats"), though he did like Koreans because "they will take whatever conditions I give them and still pay the rent." (The property supervisor, Sumner Davenport, sued Sterling for sexual harassment. She lost.)

• When a tenant asked to be compensated for water damage in her flooded apartment, Sterling allegedly told Davenport, "Just evict the bitch."

• According to former general manger Elgin Baylor, Sterling envisioned a "Southern Plantation type structure" for the Clippers, one in which, as he allegedly put it to Baylor, "poor black boys from the South" played for a white head coach.

• Sterling bought the Clippers in 1981 for $13 million. The franchise is now valued at $300 million. On his watch, the Clippers have lost 50 games in a season 20 times. Long ago, Sterling realized — correctly — that an owner could turn a tidy and effortless profit under the NBA's revenue-sharing system merely by losing cheaply and relying on the league's ever-fattening coffers.

• The NBA once fined Sterling $10,000 for suggesting the Clippers tank to help their draft position.

• As reported here, Sterling's scorekeepers in the late 1990s routinely and dramatically undercounted the Clippers' assist totals. Deliberate or not, the effect was to depress the value of the team's own players.

• According to Franz Lidz in Sports Illustrated, Sterling would refuse to add players even after injuries left the roster at the league minimum of eight. "The Clippers came close to forfeiting a game after forward Michael Brooks had oral surgery," Lidz wrote. "Brooks had to suit up, and he actually played, though his jaw was as swollen as Sterling's ego."

• Sterling once welshed on a $1,000 prize for a free-throw shooting contest, forcing the winner, a lawyer and season ticketholder named Michael Spilger, to sue. More than a year later, according to Lidz, Spilger got his money.

• During his first season as owner, according to Sports Illustrated, Sterling reportedly wanted to save money by jettisoning the team trainer. He asked coach Paul Silas if he would mind taping up players before games.

• According to Sports Illustrated: "Sterling is also said to have proposed to trim the team budget for his second season by slashing training-camp expenses from more than $50,000 to about $100, scouting from more than $20,000 to about $1,000, advertising from more than $200,000 to less than $9,000 and medical expenses from about $10,000 to $100."

• Sterling would solicit "hostesses" for private parties and Clippers events, one of whom told ESPN The Magazine: "Working for Donald Sterling was the most demoralizing, dehumanizing experience of my life. He asked me for seminude photos and made it clear he wanted more."

• A former employee sued Sterling for sexual harassment in 1996. According to testimony obtained by ESPN The Magazine, Sterling would order her to find massage therapists, saying, "I want someone who will, you know, let me put it in or who [will] suck on it." The case was settled.

• In 2003, Sterling acknowledged paying a woman named Alexandra Castro $500 every time "she provided sex." He testified: "It was purely sex for money, money for sex, sex for money, money for sex." He would call her honey, but for decidedly unromantic reasons. "I'm a very flowery man," he said. "If you are having sex with a woman you are paying for, you always call her honey because you can't remember her name."

And that's just a partial list. Remember Sterling the next time someone projects his private demographic terrors on all the "thugs" in the NBA. In his time as the Clippers' owner, he has behaved far more repulsively than any wayward player ever suspended by David Stern; if Sterling were a small forward, he'd be looking for a run in Minsk right about now. But he's an owner and a wealthy real-estate magnate, and for those reasons and no other, a league so concerned about its public image that it tells its players how to dress will happily overlook the fact that Donald T. Sterling is a cheap, whoring bigot.

http://deadspin.com/5398936/donald-sterling-continues-to-get-away-with-being-the-most-evil-man-in-sports

21_Blessings
08-20-2010, 02:00 AM
• The NBA once fined Sterling $10,000 for suggesting the Clippers tank to help their draft position.

Unjustified fine. It worked for the Spurs.

BRHornet45
08-20-2010, 02:13 AM
great owner. people are too sensitive

TDMVPDPOY
08-20-2010, 02:17 AM
him payin 500 for sex, he couldve gotten it cheaper if he went to a brothel....

dunno why that women is complaining unless shes and employee of his, they she can sue his ass

DeadlyDynasty
08-20-2010, 02:21 AM
great owner. people are too sensitive

indeed.

black people do smell...it's a fact of life.

BRHornet45
08-20-2010, 02:22 AM
indeed.

you dish out millions of dollars for quality apartments/condos and then see if you're not picky about who rents them. just sayin

DeadlyDynasty
08-20-2010, 02:26 AM
you dish out millions of dollars for quality apartments/condos and then see if you're not picky about who rents them. just sayin

yup, you let one in and next thing you know it Bebe's kids are everywhere.

fair housing act is unfair to the property owners imo

BRHornet45
08-20-2010, 02:34 AM
sons this needs to be posted in this thread ...

4Q0QF0jiouw

DeadlyDynasty
08-20-2010, 02:39 AM

4Q0QF0jiouw

only watched a couple minutes of it by agree so far...they gotta get out of that welfare and "the world owes me something" mentality.

BRHornet45
08-20-2010, 02:40 AM
only watched a couple minutes of it by agree so far...they gotta get out of that welfare and "the world owes me something" mentality.

son watch it all!

DeadlyDynasty
08-20-2010, 02:42 AM
son watch it all!

:lol ok broseph...he better drop some n-bombs later

BRHornet45
08-20-2010, 02:43 AM
:lol ok broseph...he better drop some n-bombs later

lolz the honorable Pastor James David Manning!

ezau
08-20-2010, 03:06 AM
Unjustified fine. It worked for the Spurs.

too bad there isn't any fines for collusions

DeadlyDynasty
08-20-2010, 03:15 AM

as soon as you come up with indisputable proof I'm sure there will be...but we all know you're too lazy and butt-hurt to do it

Cane
08-20-2010, 06:24 AM

:toast

Koolaid_Man
08-20-2010, 07:03 AM

4Q0QF0jiouw

While I theory I may agree with some of what the pastor says I could never go to church and listen to a grimey swindler like that. Maybe those poor black folk he speaks of could accomplish something if he wasn't charging them $50 a pop for a false prayer to God on their behalf.

and he needs a good history lesson on how the Japanese economy was re-built with US dollars much like how WMD's ended up in Iraq in the first place...thanks to the USA. :toast see the US is good for celebrating tragedies they didn't perpetrate such as holocaust memorials and so forth but when it comes to acknowledging some shit they are responsible for like ( native indian genocide and slavery) then the US view is " That happened a long time ago let's move on."

While Koolaid isn't affected by being poor I do understand the plight of some and when it comes to my friends my crew...they may be a chosen few but their damn lucky to have a friend like me that can help them out when in distress. :toast

djohn2oo8
08-20-2010, 07:08 AM
indeed.

No, just the ones that came to Houston from Katrina, and still sit on their asses to this day

Koolaid_Man
08-20-2010, 07:17 AM
yep...BR Hornet's folks...BR Check this out

[youtube]N6LQwClHgvc[youtube]

Koolaid_Man
08-20-2010, 07:17 AM
N6LQwClHgvc

ambchang
08-20-2010, 08:54 AM
as soon as you come up with indisputable proof I'm sure there will be...but we all know you're too lazy and butt-hurt to do it

I guess indisputable proof exists for the Spurs' tanking, it seems to come up every other post for no reason whatsoever.

21 FTs!

Ashy Larry
08-20-2010, 09:28 AM
Sterling rules ........

Cry Havoc
08-20-2010, 10:10 AM
While I theory I may agree with some of what the pastor says I could never go to church and listen to a grimey swindler like that. Maybe those poor black folk he speaks of could accomplish something if he wasn't charging them $50 a pop for a false prayer to God on their behalf.

and he needs a good history lesson on how the Japanese economy was re-built with US dollars much like how WMD's ended up in Iraq in the first place...thanks to the USA. :toast see the US is good for celebrating tragedies they didn't perpetrate such as holocaust memorials and so forth but when it comes to acknowledging some shit they are responsible for like ( native indian genocide and slavery) then the US view is " That happened a long time ago let's move on."

While Koolaid isn't affected by being poor I do understand the plight of some and when it comes to my friends my crew...they may be a chosen few but their damn lucky to have a friend like me that can help them out when in distress. :toast

Wow. :lmao You're even a horrible poster when it has nothing to do with basketball.

Purch
08-20-2010, 10:44 AM

4Q0QF0jiouw

"You know we've been discriminated against. Will you shut up!!!!!. You know they had us here as slaves you know they brought us from Africa. My God!!
You say that one more time I'm gonna choke you. One more time ,If I hear that one more time I'm gonna chocke your tongue out your mouth. Well let me repent for for that, Lord forgive me for saying that I'm gonna choke somebody Cause I'm not really gonna do it."

BRHornet45
08-20-2010, 01:19 PM
"You know we've been discriminated against. Will you shut up!!!!!. You know they had us here as slaves you know they brought us from Africa. My God!!
You say that one more time I'm gonna choke you. One more time ,If I hear that one more time I'm gonna chocke your tongue out your mouth. Well let me repent for for that, Lord forgive me for saying that I'm gonna choke somebody Cause I'm not really gonna do it."

lol son that was the best part