PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo: Ranking the SG's (Manu Ginobili no. 5)

Cane
08-20-2010, 02:06 PM
1. Dwyane Wade, Miami Heat (last year: first)

2. Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles Lakers (last year: second)

3. Brandon Roy, Portland Trail Blazers (last year: third)

4. Joe Johnson, Atlanta Hawks (last year: fifth)

5. Manu Ginobili, San Antonio Spurs (last year: fourth)

At his best and healthiest, Manu is just a step below Kobe Bryant(notes). The problem is that he's not often healthy, doesn't play enough minutes and can't sustain the type of brilliance that we saw last March, when Manu averaged 22.1 points in just 31 minutes on 52 percent shooting, with 9.6 combined rebounds/assists. So, No. 5 sounds about right, with the caveat that, when everything is going smoothly, few can take over a game like Manu.

6. Andre Iguodala

7. Tyreke Evans, Sacramento Kings (last year: unranked)

8. Stephen Jackson, Charlotte Bobcats (last year: 11th, but as a small forward)

9. Jason Richardson, Phoenix Suns (last year: 13th)

10. Kevin Martin, Houston Rockets (last year: ninth)

11. Monta Ellis, Golden State Warriors (last year: 18th, but as a point guard)

12. Jamal Crawford, Atlanta Hawks (last year: unranked)

13. Gilbert Arenas, Washington Wizards (last year: unranked)

14. Ben Gordon, Detroit Pistons (last year: 12th)

15. John Salmons, Milwaukee Bucks (last year: 14th, but as a small forward)

16. Ray Allen, Boston Celtics (last year: seventh)

17. J.J. Redick, Orlando Magic (last year: unranked)

18. J.R. Smith, Denver Nuggets (last year: 14th)

19. O.J. Mayo, Memphis Grizzlies (last year: 17th)

20. Jason Terry, Dallas Mavericks (last year: 15th, but as a point guard)

21. Eric Gordon, Los Angeles Clippers (last year: 16th)

22. James Harden, Oklahoma City Thunder (last year: unranked)

23. Vince Carter, Orlando Magic (last year: sixth)

24. Anthony Morrow, New Jersey Nets (last year: 23rd)

25. Rodrigue Beaubois, Dallas Mavericks (last year: unranked)

26. Richard Hamilton, Detroit Pistons (last year: 15th)

27. Mike Miller, Miami Heat (last year: 19th)

28. Evan Turner, Philadelphia 76ers (last year: unranked)

29. Thabo Sefolosha, Oklahoma City Thunder (last year: unranked)

30. Leandro Barbosa, Toronto Raptors (last year: 11th)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Ranking-the-shooting-guards-10-through-1;_ylt=Akvd_.AI.3WDnA4etr_ZNwS8vLYF?urn=nba-263900

Manu's ranking seems about right; when healthy few guards can compete with his impact both statistically and through intangibles :flag:

PDXSpursFan
08-20-2010, 02:10 PM
Wade over Kobe? Laker fans will not be happy with this.

Cane
08-20-2010, 02:12 PM
I agree with Wade over Kobe; Bryant's legs and overall health just aren't what they used to be and Wade had a much better individual series against Boston while having a much worse team.

cantthinkofanything
08-20-2010, 02:13 PM
Joe Johnson????? No way. At 100%, I'd take Manu at #3. And really at #2 because he's not a rapist.

elemento
08-20-2010, 02:23 PM
i'd take Manu over JJ anyday ! JJ is a playoff choker

LoneStarState'sPride
08-20-2010, 02:30 PM
Spot on, actually.

cd98
08-20-2010, 02:51 PM
Wade over Kobe? Laker fans will not be happy with this.

Wade would look pretty good too if he had Paul Gasol, Andrew Bynum, and Lamar over the crap he had on that Miami roster last year.

in2deep
08-20-2010, 03:00 PM
:lol Kobe

in2deep
08-20-2010, 03:01 PM
good regular season list.

For playoffs:
1. Kobe
2. Wade
3. Manu

ambchang
08-20-2010, 03:04 PM
The list sucks.

And I fully agree with Wade > Kobe, it's the trash that comes afterwards.

JJ Redick?

Salmons?

Mayo so low?

Carter below Eric Gordon?

Who came up with this list?

And at this point in his career, with all the injuries and such, I wouldn't put Manu that high. I would take him in a playoff game over many players on the list (probably top 4), but over the course of the season? I would pick someone else.

DesignatedT
08-20-2010, 03:09 PM
seems about right. Kobe should definitely be #1 on the list though, no question about it.

ducks
08-20-2010, 03:13 PM
so manu's number 5 when healthy but when he is not where is he
like the article says most of the time he is NOT

in2deep
08-20-2010, 03:16 PM

read again. It says IF Manu was not so injury prone he would be 3rd. Since he is, he's 5th.

DesignatedT
08-20-2010, 03:17 PM

It pretty much says if Manu could stay consistently healthy he would be #3 but since he can't he is #5.

ducks
08-20-2010, 03:18 PM
read again. It says IF Manu was not so injury prone he would be 3rd. Since he is, he's 5th.

factor he can only play 25 minutes a game during the regular season
then rank him

BillMc
08-20-2010, 03:20 PM
Wonder where Hill would be if you looked at him as an SG rather than a PG (like the previous Yahoo poll.)

cantthinkofanything
08-20-2010, 03:26 PM
Wonder where Hill would be if you looked at him as an SG rather than a PG (like the previous Yahoo poll.)

The list gets screwy in the middle but I put him at 17 above Redick.

DPG21920
08-20-2010, 03:38 PM
then rank him

:lol

in2deep
08-20-2010, 04:01 PM
then rank him

that's exactly what the writer did, genius

:bang

MaNuMaNiAc
08-20-2010, 04:06 PM
:lol ducks just can't stand praise on Manu. Ever.

tmtcsc
08-20-2010, 04:07 PM
No way is Wade number 1.

Kobe is the best player in the league so putting him second in his own category is nonsense.

1. Kobe
2. Wade
3. Manu (When Healthy)

Joe Johnson and Brandon Roy in the top 5 is a joke.

DPG21920
08-20-2010, 04:21 PM
1) Kobe is not the best player in the league.

2) Brandon Roy and Joe Johnson are without a doubt top 5 at their position.

ElNono
08-20-2010, 04:24 PM
I never understood the Roy hype... he is good, but to be top 3 you need to be great.

ElNono
08-20-2010, 04:25 PM
2) Brandon Roy and Joe Johnson are without a doubt top 5 at their position.

I agree with Johnson... I wouldn't have a problem taking Stephen Jackson or Iguodala instead of Roy.

DPG21920
08-20-2010, 04:26 PM
Well I think that is crazy. Some health issues aside, Roy is much better than them imo.

ElNono
08-20-2010, 04:27 PM
Evans over SJax is another case of hype... Evans just played his first season. He still has a lot to prove to rank above captain jack...

ElNono
08-20-2010, 04:33 PM
Well I think that is crazy. Some health issues aside, Roy is much better than them imo.

Maybe it's the impression I got after he was bitching last season that he wasn't getting enough touches. He has a pretty good team around him.

galvatron3000
08-20-2010, 04:41 PM
Trying to rank Manu is worthless because he shows up when it counts big time, these last few years health has been an issue but seriously he's better than JJ and if they are serious about health then Roy should be lower. Manu is no lower than 3 and only because he has no post up game I rank him lower than Kobe.

fantasyfootball
08-20-2010, 04:51 PM
Vince Carter behind JJ Redick? I would like Redick on my team more than half man, but JJ was behind VC last year. Jason Richardson at 9? I think he's a few notches lower.

BronxCowboy
08-20-2010, 05:34 PM
I hate Kobe as much as the next guy, but anybody who says he isn't the best SG in the NBA is letting their agenda distort the facts. In fact he's probably the second best SG in the history of basketball.

DAF86
08-20-2010, 05:59 PM
No way is Wade number 1.

Kobe is the best player in the league so putting him second in his own category is nonsense.

I hate Kobe as much as the next guy, but anybody who says he isn't the best SG in the NBA is letting their agenda distort the facts. In fact he's probably the second best SG in the history of basketball.

Kobe is overrated because of his team, he is not the best player nor the best SG in the league, at his peak he's a better player than Wade but right now he's past his prime. Stop rating a player for the success of his entire team.

Solid D
08-20-2010, 06:23 PM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/photos/100224_92.jpg
1QiR0t7rw7g
wmjluiiaKcY

DPG21920
08-20-2010, 06:27 PM
:lol Manu makes the biggest plays in the most crucial moments (some of them bad, yes, but mostly good).

DPG21920
08-20-2010, 06:28 PM
Hm9Y-vqZsEo

mingus
08-20-2010, 06:35 PM
Manu is 3rd, behind Kobe and Wade. Manu is better than Johnson in every way except durability, but healthy he is better. Roy is a better scorer than Manu, but that's it. i don't think it qualifies him as the better player. hopefully Manu can put together a solid full season for us.

hitmanyr2k
08-20-2010, 06:47 PM
I think Ginobili definitely belongs at #4. Ginobili at his best is much better than Joe Johnson at his best. And Joe (being injury free, in a contract year, with a good team around him) having one of his worst playoff performances ever didn't help his case at all. In fact it's sickening that he got rewarded with another huge contract.

Proxy
08-20-2010, 06:51 PM
Wade over Kobe is a joke. This list loses credibility because of it.

As far as Manu goes, I don't see how anyone can rank him above JJ or Roy when he gets hurt so much... don't get me wrong. I know just as any Spurs fan does, that Manu is as lethal as Kobe and that he can dominate games without scoring better than anyone when he is at peak condition.... but unfortunately he hasn't sustained that for a season in years.... since 05, so I think it is homer by some of you guys to think he goes above JJ and Roy when they play starter minutes and they are the go to guys on their respective teams.

DAF86
08-20-2010, 06:55 PM
Wade over Kobe is a joke. This list loses credibility because of it.

As far as Manu goes, I don't see how anyone can rank him above JJ or Roy when he gets hurt so much... don't get me wrong. I know just as any Spurs fan does, that Manu is as lethal as Kobe and that he can dominate games without scoring better than anyone when he is at peak condition.... but unfortunately he hasn't sustained that for a season in years.... since 05, so I think it is homer by some of you guys to think he goes above JJ and Roy when they play starter minutes and they are the go to guys on their respective teams.

When Manu was given starter's minutes and go to guy responsabilities he has performed better than both of them.

And no Wade over Kobe is not a joke.

Danny.Zhu
08-20-2010, 07:10 PM
i'd take Manu over JJ anyday ! JJ is a playoff choker

Totally agreed.

tomtom
08-20-2010, 07:27 PM
Looks right to me

ogait
08-20-2010, 09:04 PM
Top 5 is ok. Swap JJ with Manu and would be even better but I can accept his reasoning regarding health issues since it's a list for the entire season.

For the same reason Wade over Kobe doesn't shock me. For the past seasons Wade has pretty much been doing what prime Kobe did when he had a scrub team from 2005 to 2007, i.e. put big numbers and loose on the first round or miss the play-offs. At their best Kobe is the better player by far but right now I think it's ok to say Wade is at least as good as Kobe.

The rest of the list isn't all that good, a lot of things I don't agree with like Carter going from 6 to 23 in just one year.

carina_gino20
08-20-2010, 09:25 PM
shit. I'm gonna miss this guy when he retires.

ducks
08-20-2010, 09:57 PM
:lol ducks just can't stand praise on Manu. Ever.

I posted manu was the best player for the spurs last year:hat

ducks
08-20-2010, 09:57 PM
Oh I would trade manu for melo

tmtcsc
08-20-2010, 10:08 PM
Kobe is overrated because of his team, he is not the best player nor the best SG in the league, at his peak he's a better player than Wade but right now he's past his prime. Stop rating a player for the success of his entire team.

Kobe is overrated because of his team ? If he had worse players around him, he'd go off. His stats would be off the charts.

Why don't people understand that he was injured last year and played through it ? Unbelievable.

Manu is my favorite player, hands down. But I have to give respect where its due and Kobe is an absolute competitive bad-ass. He's the best in the game.

Wade is fantastic but he's not as good defensively. Kobe is the whole package. JJ and Roy don't even belong in the discussion. That's really ridiculous.

Nathan89
08-20-2010, 10:49 PM
shit. I'm gonna miss this guy when he retires.
This. He is my favorite player ever. Retirement=:cry

manu the best
08-20-2010, 10:51 PM
.. if given the right amount of playing time and if MANU is healthy he can equal kobe any day ..

Nathan89
08-20-2010, 10:52 PM
.. if given the right amount of playing time and if MANU is healthy he can equal kobe any day ..
This
Is
False

Nathan89
08-20-2010, 11:05 PM
100 years from now some teenagers are going to hear passed down stories about Manu and think this has to be a urban legend.

Google Search: Manu Ginobili

:wowOh shit, he really did snatch a bat out of the air in the middle of a basketball game.

ducks
08-20-2010, 11:22 PM

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

beachwood
08-21-2010, 12:34 AM

I don't hate the guy, but I second this. If you had to shut an opposing player down using either KB or Wade who would you take? Wade's defense isn't even close to KB's.

Proxy
08-21-2010, 01:14 AM
When Manu was given starter's minutes and go to guy responsabilities he has performed better than both of them.

And no Wade over Kobe is not a joke.

Don't get me wrong. I KNOW manu is better than JJ and Roy... that's what the list says too... but you can't deny that while Manu's potential rivals Kobe and Wade at peak condition, he was an injury prone 6th man last year. You have to give respect where respect is due, and I think the list got it right. This isn't a list on the player's overall career. It is a list based on last year's performances.

And yes, Kobe over Wade is a joke. Kobe is one of the best perimeter defenders ever. He is a proven winner at every facet of the game.

J_Paco
08-21-2010, 01:19 AM
I don't hate the guy, but I second this. If you had to shut an opposing player down using either KB or Wade who would you take? Wade's defense isn't even close to KB's.

Please, Kobe isn't an elite one-on-one defender either. Kobe can play good perimeter defense, but is better used as a roamer. Kobe wasn't the one guarding Kevin Durant and Paul Pierce in crunch-time during the playoffs.

Wade's superior athleticism and timing make him the better defender. I believe he's been the leading SG in blocks the last two season. Plus, he can easily get you 2+ steals per game and led a strong defensive team last season starting marginal defenders in Rafer Alston, Carlos Arroyo (at different points), and Quentin Richardson.

Kobe was the best player on the best team, but not the best player in the league on an average or very good team. He didn't elevate the play of anyone on that team. The list is pretty good with some questionable placements in the middle.

hitmanyr2k
08-21-2010, 01:05 PM
Kobe is overrated because of his team ? If he had worse players around him, he'd go off. His stats would be off the charts.

Why don't people understand that he was injured last year and played through it ? Unbelievable.

To answer your question, yes. The only reason Kobe is being elevated over Wade is because his team won a championship last season. Wade has played better than Kobe the last 2 seasons but has been stuck on mediocre teams. Stick Kobe on Wade's Heat team last year and what do you get? Most likely pretty numbers and a first round exit. And with Kobe declining and playing injured who on Miami would cover up his flaws (inefficiency, inconsistent defense, horrible attitude when losing)? It would be 2005-2007 all over again...except with a declining version of Kobe as opposed to a prime Kobe.

quentin_compson
08-21-2010, 05:09 PM
I think putting Wade over Kobe is alright. And some people are seriously underrating Wade's defense.
When Manu is healthy, he is #3 in the playoffs.

ducks
08-21-2010, 05:32 PM
I think putting Wade over Kobe is alright. And some people are seriously underrating Wade's defense.
When Manu is healthy, he is #3 in the playoffs.

that is like saying when Saddam is in his right mind he is a great person

Solid D
08-21-2010, 07:25 PM
that is like saying when Saddam is in his right mind he is a great person

You ought to be happier this season...Parker and Manu didn't play for their NTs in the World Championship. These guys might have fresher bodies for the long 82+ game stretch.

Maybe Splitter will be your new whipping boy for playing in the WCs, now.

ducks
08-21-2010, 07:41 PM
oh I already started I want to know why splittler gets a free pass but tp does not

but I like splitter

gospursgojas
08-21-2010, 10:44 PM
*sigh*

Wade over Kobe??? Stopped right there

manu the best
08-21-2010, 10:51 PM
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

ducks a MANU hater ..

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-21-2010, 10:56 PM
Lmao at Mayo being in every picture. Really good joke the writer has going on with that trend.

Sean Cagney
08-21-2010, 11:07 PM
Please, Kobe isn't an elite one-on-one defender either. Kobe can play good perimeter defense, but is better used as a roamer. Kobe wasn't the one guarding Kevin Durant and Paul Pierce in crunch-time during the playoffs.

Wade's superior athleticism and timing make him the better defender. I believe he's been the leading SG in blocks the last two season. Plus, he can easily get you 2+ steals per game and led a strong defensive team last season starting marginal defenders in Rafer Alston, Carlos Arroyo (at different points), and Quentin Richardson.

Kobe was the best player on the best team, but not the best player in the league on an average or very good team. He didn't elevate the play of anyone on that team. The list is pretty good with some questionable placements in the middle.

Yep, if Kobe were an elite and great defender he would have checked Billups in 04 (Like Bowen did later in 05) or Hamilton and shut them down! Both went off! Pierce and Allen went off in 08, why did he not check them nor shut either down? He is not an elite defender infact he is good in spots but very overrated on D and I use these examples all the time and people can't come back.

ducks
08-22-2010, 12:11 AM
ducks a MANU hater ..

manu the best = foolish homer thinks manu best player in the nba

Proxy
08-22-2010, 01:16 AM

C'mon, a Spurs fan should know that stats don't tell the entire story. Kobe gets just as many steals as Wade. Wade has him in blocks, but so does Dwight on Timmy, but we all know that TD is the better defender of the two. Kobe is a better one on one defender that Wade, and that is the difference that makes Kobe better. Team USA won when Kobe joined the team.

TDMVPDPOY
08-22-2010, 01:42 AM
i take jax over JJ

gino>jj
jax>jj

DrSteffo
08-22-2010, 06:55 AM
Manu is Manu. Who cares about those other scrubs.